Running RCT in Win XP

Mike Protheroe

Dec 22, 2001, 4:08:15 AM12/22/01
Hi
I have just subscribed to this Newsgroup as I can't get RCT to run under
Windows XP. We did a clean install of XP Pro and installed RCT after that,
but we get an error message from XP when trying to run it, after the loading
screen, saying "rct.icd has encountered a problem and needs to close...".

We have tried all the compatibility modes, but still get the same error
message.

Computer: 900 MHz Celeron, 256 MB memory, 30GB hard drive, 64MB Geforce2
MX400 graphics
I'm not sure what version RCT is.... I guess 1.x

Any suggestions on how I can get it to work?

Cheers

Jessica Sherman

Dec 22, 2001, 8:29:45 PM12/22/01
On my computer, I had to switch compatibility to windows 2000, that was
after intalling RCT, then the LL expansion, then the latest patch, then the
drexler patch. Now its all good.

Jessica S.

"Steve Hoskins" <sjho...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:08:15 +1300, "Mike Protheroe" <m...@orcon.co.nz>
> wrote :

> Okay, here goes....it's been posted before, but since so many people
> (including myself) have now begun using Windows XP:
>
> 1. Remove ALL RCT -- AA/CF -- LL from your computer. Make sure if
> you have saved games, you move them somewhere else (safe) on your hard
> drive for the time being).
> 2. Install +<BUT DO NOT RUN>+ RCT original disk.
> 3. Install +<BUT DO NOT RUN>+ LL disk (which includes AA/CF).
> 4. Log on to the official RCT website:
> http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com and go to the downloads section.
> Look for the LL "Windows 2000" patch. Download it and install it.
> 5. Once you have installed the W2K patch, then you may start to run
> RCT again. Move your saved files into the "Saved Files" folder in the
> new RCT directory (usually C:/Program Files/Hasbro Interactive/Roller
> Coaster Tycoon/Saved Games.
>
> I have done it this way, thanks to someone else in here suggesting
> this path of action, and have not had any problems.

GGMaster

Dec 24, 2001, 6:43:34 AM12/24/01
Try installing the latest patch from www.rollercoastertycoon.com

"Mike Protheroe" <m...@orcon.co.nz> wrote in message

S FRANKS

Dec 27, 2001, 11:15:17 PM12/27/01
Your problem is likely that standalone RCT is not in any way compatible with
XP. If you buy the expansion pack, you have a 90% chance that the game will
run just fine at least under the compatibility mode. Some peeps have been
unsuccessful with LL and XP but it seems to be hardware issues. So my
suggestion is to get LL and then the Win2000 patch from the official site.
Steve Franks

<< Real World Track Packs >>
RCT Station -- http://rct.ogresnet.com

Mike Protheroe

Dec 29, 2001, 2:20:13 AM12/29/01
Hi

Thanks to those who originally replied to my question re running RCT under
Windows XP...I DO have the standalone version of RCT ( no LL or other
expansion packs) and found that after running the Win 2000 patch that RCT
runs fine under Windows XP. I did find however that to get the patch to
work I had to re-copy the RCT.ICD from the correct language folder on the CD
onto my hard disk (In my case I had the UK english version installed).
After I did that, then ran the UK language patch RCT runs fine...

Cheers

MIke Protheroe

"S FRANKS" <sfr...@aol.com> wrote in message

willy

Dec 29, 2001, 9:47:01 AM12/29/01
Glad You asked. You need to go to the www.rollercoastertycoon.com and
download the official patch for loopy landscapes. This solves the
compatability issues with Windows XP.

"Mike Protheroe" <m...@orcon.co.nz> wrote in message

With NINE Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source