If it smells like a bot... is it?

Phil Benton

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Here's a scenario that happened last night:

Me and one of my teammates [both on cable] were slamming this guy [28.8] on
our regular server. He got his head handed to him and left before fraglimit
hit. This is a reguar occurance as this fella is rather annoying and when he
pops on we beat him down. It' stradition.

Later in the evening, he pops back on, and persuant to tradition, we
commence on assaulting him.
End result of this later attack is *we* get whumped. furthermore, he's
nearly untouchable and has unerring accuracy the remainder of the evening. I
had noticed on occasion as he was being persued that he would spin around
and fire w/o error, nailing us as though we were standing still.

Wanting to test the "ratbot" theory, I immedaitely typed ratbot at the
console and got no response. [aside of the irritable reply of our opponent,
who was rather PO'd that we'd accuse him of using a bot]

I'm still kind of suprised that he killed us as easily as he did. He
refrained form using the railgun ans was more apt to use rockets or sshotgun
w/ strength rune. furthermore, I have a *hard* time hitting him with the
railgun, even though I have no problem slamming a slug home on some of the
usually tougher opponents.

Something just don't add up. Any suggestions, recommendations, or theories
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil Benton
aka Ed Hunter[SS]
eddi...@home.com

SC|Wizard

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Well, even though he might not have been using the Ratbot, don't forget
that there are still other autoaim proxy bots out there for the
individuals to d/l. Most common one being ZBot, but I'm assuming since
this server had runes, it was running Lithium, and therefore probably
has the ZBot kick on it.

I have heard of another bot that someone developed that is far superior
to both the ZBot and Ratbot, but as far as I know it hasn't been
distributed yet. However, just like anything these days, people pirate
everything, so it's probably out there somewhere. I just hope this
wasn't the case...

Did you get a demo of you chasing him? Really that's about the only way
to tell if someone's using a bot or not.

--
SC|Wizard
anywhere*at*bellsouth*dot*net
ICQ #: 21550487
The StoneCutter's Home Page:
http://www.baypoint.com/clan
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

SC | Mr.Blonde

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Do you guys really get a kick out of beating a guy with a 28.8 connection while
you both have cable? How fair is that? Maybe he had a really good game. Or maybe
he got a friend who is really good to play using his name. But one thing is for
sure, you two are pretty poor sports teaming up on a HPB like that.

Phil Benton wrote:

--
SC|Mr.Blonde Remove CLOTHES to reply
ICQ: 534009

"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you
least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left
of your unit." - In the August 1993 issue, page 9, of PS magazine,
the Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.

SuperTech{OT}

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Well the most likely scenario is he got a good buddy of his to log on in his
name that was a better player than you two and he proceeded to dish out the
same thing you were dishing out to his buddy! Turn about fair play! :)

--
Mark
SuperTech{OT}

Phil Benton <Ed_H...@evilnet.net> wrote in message

Frank_Rizzo

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Where is this server, so we can come show ya how to play... Bad
sportsmanship makes for a hurt hiney.
=)

--
FrankRizzo{OT}
http://www.offtopic.com

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of
them."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Frank_Rizzo

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Sure... what the hell.. I haven't played plain Lithium in quite a while...

--

Phil Benton <eddi...@home.com> wrote in message
> I didn't intend for this to turn into a challenge, but what the hell.
>
> The server is 208.228.136.9:27910
> Stats are at www.sporbly.com
> Mod is Lithium
> If you wanna arrange a meet, simply reply to the e-mail address below.
> --
> Phil Benton
> eddi...@home.com

GDX

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Phack u. LPBs teaming up on an HPB. Damn, I hope he was using a bot,
you deserve it. Hmm..

Post the IP of that server. I'll round up some HPBs to teach you one
about teaming up.

Note: This post influence by just playing a game where I was 1st place,
until I lagged out and couldn't even finish the game, though I do know
that an LPB won :(

PS. I have nothing against LPBs. I hope to be one someday (according to
my cable co, in 2001). But teaming up in general is lame unless you're
on a team server.

--
-GDX
UIN: 39503186

XarriorW

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Yeah, it doesn't justify using a bot, but that is lame as hell. I'm
not gonna turn this into some flamewar of LPBs vs HPBS (hell, quite a
few of the HPBs can whomp just as much ass as LPBs). Doubling teaming
anyone is bad, but the ping would just add insult to injury. My $.02.

Phil Benton

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Up until 2 weeks ago I was one of those HPB's you're defending, and seeing
as I have been where his "smacktalkingT" place is right now, I know exactly
what he's being put thru. Regardless of our capabilities either on cable or
dialup [which I still use on occasion] the question of our sportsmanship
wasn't the point of inquiry. That's for another thread, Eh? ;)
--
Phil Benton
eddi...@home.com

SC | Mr.Blonde <am...@CLOTHESatlantic.net> wrote in message

> Do you guys really get a kick out of beating a guy with a 28.8 connection
while
> you both have cable? How fair is that? Maybe he had a really good game. Or
maybe
> he got a friend who is really good to play using his name. But one thing
is for
> sure, you two are pretty poor sports teaming up on a HPB like that.

Phil Benton

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

Stats are at www.sporbly.com
Mod is Lithium
If you wanna arrange a meet, simply reply to the e-mail address below.
--
Phil Benton
eddi...@home.com

Frank_Rizzo <riz...@FARTalltel.net> wrote in message
> Where is this server, so we can come show ya how to play... Bad
> sportsmanship makes for a hurt hiney.
> =)
>
> --
> FrankRizzo{OT}
> http://www.offtopic.com
>
> "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government
> from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of
> them."
> -- Thomas Jefferson

SC|Wizard

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Yes but regarding you and your friend "beating up on him"....were you two
"teaming up on him" or just fragging everybody, but mostly him??? Teaming up on
FFA servers is lame, but if you were just aiming for him more than the other
guy...well SuperTech can vouch for that one....hehe

Phil Benton wrote:

> Up until 2 weeks ago I was one of those HPB's you're defending, and seeing
> as I have been where his "smacktalkingT" place is right now, I know exactly
> what he's being put thru. Regardless of our capabilities either on cable or
> dialup [which I still use on occasion] the question of our sportsmanship
> wasn't the point of inquiry. That's for another thread, Eh? ;)
> --
> Phil Benton
> eddi...@home.com
>
> SC | Mr.Blonde <am...@CLOTHESatlantic.net> wrote in message
> > Do you guys really get a kick out of beating a guy with a 28.8 connection
> while
> > you both have cable? How fair is that? Maybe he had a really good game. Or
> maybe
> > he got a friend who is really good to play using his name. But one thing
> is for
> > sure, you two are pretty poor sports teaming up on a HPB like that.
> >
> > Phil Benton wrote:
> >

> > --
> > SC|Mr.Blonde Remove CLOTHES to reply
> > ICQ: 534009
> >
> > "A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you
> > least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left
> > of your unit." - In the August 1993 issue, page 9, of PS magazine,
> > the Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.

--
SC|Wizard
anyw...@bellsouth.net
ICQ#: 21550487
The StoneCutter's Homepage:
http://www.baypoint.com/clan
"VENI, VIDI, FERIO CALCAE PODEX-
I came, I saw, I kicked ass."

Frank_Rizzo

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

Damn... don't have the maps... I'll get them tonight, and be there tomorrow
sometime...

> Sure... what the hell.. I haven't played plain Lithium in quite a while...

Phil Benton

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Excellent. The wife'll be @ work late so I'll have time to play. =)

SC|Wizard

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Man that server sucks. It's a pretty good connection (low 100's ping) but you
spawn with 20 rockets and 20 rail slugs and god knows what else. It's just a
rocket/rail fragfest. No need to pick up other weapons or anything, and the
speed on the rockets has been jacked up also I believe....oh well, maybe it's
just my preference.

Phil Benton

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
My team [Suicide Squad: http://www.surfnetinc.com/spectre/[ss] ] rarely uses
teamplay unless:

There's more than a "few" of the other guys wearing tags.
The same guys above start teaming up.
There's more than a few of the guys talking smack.
There's the possibility that one [or more] of the guys are bots.
That we're asked to play in a match.

Otherwise, it's usually "FFA"

As for whether we were intentionally teaming up on him, I'd be a lair if I
said we weren't. And as for him getting the best of us or finding someone
better, I find that unlikely, even though I'd be more than willing to
believe that. Guys that play Q2 on a regular basis run a regular performance
in regards to their gameplay. I have yet to find anyone who's game is off
one min and on the next, only to be back off again 20 min later, then come
back unstoppable shortly there after. That kind of inconsistancy is what's
gotten my attention, nothing more.

But hey, the conversation has been good for making aquaintences. =)
--
Phil Benton
eddi...@home.com

SC|Wizard <anyw...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

DarkHalf

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:26:46 GMT, " Phil Benton" <eddi...@home.com>
wrote:

>My team [Suicide Squad: http://www.surfnetinc.com/spectre/[ss] ] rarely uses
>teamplay unless:
>
>There's more than a "few" of the other guys wearing tags.
>The same guys above start teaming up.
>There's more than a few of the guys talking smack.
>There's the possibility that one [or more] of the guys are bots.
>That we're asked to play in a match.
>
>Otherwise, it's usually "FFA"
>
>As for whether we were intentionally teaming up on him, I'd be a lair if I
>said we weren't. And as for him getting the best of us or finding someone
>better, I find that unlikely, even though I'd be more than willing to
>believe that. Guys that play Q2 on a regular basis run a regular performance
>in regards to their gameplay. I have yet to find anyone who's game is off
>one min and on the next, only to be back off again 20 min later, then come
>back unstoppable shortly there after. That kind of inconsistancy is what's
>gotten my attention, nothing more.
>
>But hey, the conversation has been good for making aquaintences. =)

So, how does that rule out the possibility of him sicking big brother
who can play better on you? Or that the one you ran into before wasn't
a friend or sibling "borrowing" his name in the first place?

...and are you sure it wasn't a totally different player who just
happened to use the same nick?...

--
Darkhalf. I use Mindspring. You figure it out.

Angband Code:
A(2.8.3h) CDS "Drake" DP L:47 DL:3300' A+ R++ Sp+ w:2HandFlail(HA)
Z/A+(O) W !H D c-- f- PV+ s- TT- d P+ M+
C S I+ So-- B- ac GHB- SQ RQ++ V F:Random Quests

SC|Wizard

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Heh....

Phil Benton wrote:

> My team [Suicide Squad: http://www.surfnetinc.com/spectre/[ss] ] rarely uses
> teamplay unless:
>
> There's more than a "few" of the other guys wearing tags.

Not a reason for Teamplay on a FFA server.

> The same guys above start teaming up.

If this is the case then challenge them and take it to a teamplay server, it
doesn't belong on a FFA server.

> There's more than a few of the guys talking smack.

Oh puhhhlease. talking smack is part of the game, no reason to team up on some
poor defenseless soul, who probably has a higher ping that your clan
anyhow...LAME

> There's the possibility that one [or more] of the guys are bots.

If you think they're a bot, call them on it and see what they say. If they
still won't leave, try and beat it yourself. There's nothing more satisfying
than beating an autoaim proxy bot with your own skills.

> That we're asked to play in a match.

This is the only one where teamplay is appropriate, but still should not be
condoned on a FFA server. FFA is just for that, FFA, so if you wanna play
teams, go to a GXMod or Tourney or Battleground mod server where you're supposed
to play in teams.

> Otherwise, it's usually "FFA"
>
> As for whether we were intentionally teaming up on him, I'd be a lair if I
> said we weren't. And as for him getting the best of us or finding someone
> better, I find that unlikely, even though I'd be more than willing to
> believe that. Guys that play Q2 on a regular basis run a regular performance
> in regards to their gameplay. I have yet to find anyone who's game is off
> one min and on the next, only to be back off again 20 min later, then come
> back unstoppable shortly there after. That kind of inconsistancy is what's
> gotten my attention, nothing more.

So you have this guy that you've played on this server before. Everytime he
jumps on this server and decides to play you guys team up on him. That's plain
and simple...LAME. I'd hate to be a part of your clan and have you out here
posting this rubbish on the newsgroup. To me it's a disgrace to clans
everywhere. If I was the guy that you were teaming up on, I'd change skins to
match you guys, run past you, then turn around and shoot you in the back. I
posted a demo of a clan that did this to me a few months ago on a Rail only
server. It was 5 against 1, and I kept changing my skin to meet theirs. They
got pissed off that I realized what they were doing, so they kept changing
skins, and I just kept changing with them. Team play on a FFA server is LAME,
end of story.

> But hey, the conversation has been good for making aquaintences. =)

No offense, but I don't want to have acquaintances like you if you team up on
FFA. Nope.

SC|Wizard

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Nevermind that was a different server, this Nostromo Lithium II server sucks even
more. The rockets are blazingly fast, hook is blazingly fast, and you start off
with all weapons and all ammo. It might as well be RA2 with runes and quad.
Where the skill if all you do is shoot rockets everywhere???

SC|Wizard wrote:

> Man that server sucks. It's a pretty good connection (low 100's ping) but you
> spawn with 20 rockets and 20 rail slugs and god knows what else. It's just a
> rocket/rail fragfest. No need to pick up other weapons or anything, and the
> speed on the rockets has been jacked up also I believe....oh well, maybe it's
> just my preference.
>
> Frank_Rizzo wrote:
>
> > Damn... don't have the maps... I'll get them tonight, and be there tomorrow
> > sometime...
> >
> > Frank_Rizzo <riz...@FARTalltel.net> wrote in message
> > > Sure... what the hell.. I haven't played plain Lithium in quite a while...
> > >
> > > --
> > > FrankRizzo{OT}
> > > http://www.offtopic.com
> > >
> > > "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
> > government
> > > from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of
> > > them."
> > > -- Thomas Jefferson

Chicken

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
I have played Ed and his clan mates on servers before..I do not
remember which however. He and his clanies are very good and very
sporting...allways offering the "Nice Shot" and "Thanks". They Usually
hit the fraglimit when they play and never say a bad thing to anyone.
He is a respectable player and a nice guy. He posts a question and it
turns into a witch hunt. That is BS.Sure it would have been nice if
he had a demo to post and perhaps he should be able to tell a bot if
he saw one, but he did nothing wrong. I think his reasons for teamplay
are valid. If I saw other clans teaming up on a FFA server I would
copy a skin to theirs so I could use it and then and have a merry old
time fraggin them hehe or if I had clan members there I think it would
be fun to copy their skin so I could see them and go just for them I
see nothing wrong with that. The smack talking is vague it depends on
the circumstance. I have been on servers with clanmates where a player
was being totally out of line and we put the smack down on him and he
left. I see nothing wrong in that. I do not think he has posted any
rubbish. I have seen far more "Rubbish" posted by other folks that
merrited far more response than this, but got none. Hell I have posted
far more rubbish than anyone I know. However he is new so he gets the
cold shoulder. He coulda had some good things to post, but I suppose
that will never happen after the way he was treated.

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:59:48 GMT, SC|Wizard <anyw...@bellsouth.net>

Chicken

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
That's it Nostromo Lith I used to see you there a lot...don't remember
what name I used at the time so you prolly don't remember me, but you
were a helluva HPB...I still whooped ya though hehe

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 02:43:33 GMT, " Phil Benton" <eddi...@home.com>
wrote:

>I didn't intend for this to turn into a challenge, but what the hell.

>The server is 208.228.136.9:27910
>Stats are at www.sporbly.com
>Mod is Lithium
>If you wanna arrange a meet, simply reply to the e-mail address below.
>--
>Phil Benton
>eddi...@home.com
>

>Frank_Rizzo <riz...@FARTalltel.net> wrote in message

>> Where is this server, so we can come show ya how to play... Bad
>> sportsmanship makes for a hurt hiney.
>> =)
>>

>> --
>> FrankRizzo{OT}
>> http://www.offtopic.com
>>
>> "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
>government
>> from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of
>> them."
>> -- Thomas Jefferson

Chicken

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Ya they fooked that server up. Used to be good. Rocked splash and
normal damage seems to be turned way down, but the runes man Jesus.
They are all over and way tweaked. Like if you get the regen it fly's.
you can have like 10 health grab the regen and have 200 or so in no
time, then drop it and regrab another rune as they are lying all over
the place. Fooking newbieville. I would hate to see what happens to
these guys when they get on a real server.

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 05:04:51 GMT, SC|Wizard <anyw...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Nevermind that was a different server, this Nostromo Lithium II server sucks even

>more. The rockets are blazingly fast, hook is blazingly fast, and you start off
>with all weapons and all ammo. It might as well be RA2 with runes and quad.
>Where the skill if all you do is shoot rockets everywhere???
>

>SC|Wizard wrote:
>
>> Man that server sucks. It's a pretty good connection (low 100's ping) but you
>> spawn with 20 rockets and 20 rail slugs and god knows what else. It's just a
>> rocket/rail fragfest. No need to pick up other weapons or anything, and the
>> speed on the rockets has been jacked up also I believe....oh well, maybe it's
>> just my preference.
>>
>> Frank_Rizzo wrote:
>>
>> > Damn... don't have the maps... I'll get them tonight, and be there tomorrow
>> > sometime...
>> >

>> > Frank_Rizzo <riz...@FARTalltel.net> wrote in message

>> > government
>>

SC|Wizard

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Oh now chicky, don't get your feathers in a wad...

You may be right, Ed and his clan are probably really good/decent
players, but his post just came off as not so good. Maybe I was a
little hard on him, but then again, maybe it made him think of some of
his actions a little more. Or maybe he read the first 2 lines and
thought I was rubbish and trashed the rest of it. To tell you the
truth, I didn't get a response from him, so I don't know. It's always
good to have people compliment you on shots and to acknowledge when you
compliment them. I wish there were more people like that out there.
However, his question did not automatically start off as a witch hunt.
I answered his question the best I could, then I just elaborated on
other replies to his post after I read them. IMHO, when you team up on
FFA servers (no matter what the consequence) is lame. Now, I'm not
saying if everyone starts gunning fo the llama on the server cause he's
being an asshole is lame, I'm saying that if you and I jump on a server,
and we start talking to everyone else to go and kill FrankRizzo cause
he's a llama, now that's lame. If we just all suddenly start gunning
for the same guy then it's not premeditated, it's premeditated team play
on a FFA server that is lame. However, if other clans were teaming up
on FFA and you change skins to what they are wearing then you're not
teaming back up on them, you're just giving it to them where it hurts,
and that is valid IMHO. It's when you have a clan teaming up on a FFA
server and you and your clanmates start teaming up and don't kill each
other either, only the other clan, then you're not any better than the
clan you're trying to kill. In essence, FFA is Free For All, so you
kill anything that moves (or stands with their face in the corner from
what I played against last night), not for you to pick and choose your
targets. If you wanna play a team match, go to a team server. God
knows there's enough of them out there.

Chicken wrote:

> I have played Ed and his clan mates on servers before..I do not
> remember which however. He and his clanies are very good and very
> sporting...allways offering the "Nice Shot" and "Thanks". They Usually
> hit the fraglimit when they play and never say a bad thing to anyone.
> He is a respectable player and a nice guy. He posts a question and it
> turns into a witch hunt. That is BS.Sure it would have been nice if
> he had a demo to post and perhaps he should be able to tell a bot if
> he saw one, but he did nothing wrong. I think his reasons for teamplay
> are valid. If I saw other clans teaming up on a FFA server I would
> copy a skin to theirs so I could use it and then and have a merry old
> time fraggin them hehe or if I had clan members there I think it would
> be fun to copy their skin so I could see them and go just for them I
> see nothing wrong with that. The smack talking is vague it depends on
> the circumstance. I have been on servers with clanmates where a player
> was being totally out of line and we put the smack down on him and he
> left. I see nothing wrong in that. I do not think he has posted any
> rubbish. I have seen far more "Rubbish" posted by other folks that
> merrited far more response than this, but got none. Hell I have posted
> far more rubbish than anyone I know. However he is new so he gets the
> cold shoulder. He coulda had some good things to post, but I suppose
> that will never happen after the way he was treated.

Phil Benton

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
SC|Wizard,

Not that I disagree with anything you're saying, since I respect your
opinions on the subject, but how we do things in some eyes [like Chicken's]
may seem alright, were as to others [like SC|Wizard] it's inappropriate.

Everyone plays different based on their environment, and Nostromo is no
exception. You can't use the tactics you need to play on the Nostromo
Lith-II server at places like Blue Sun James Bond Lithium, or Yoda's Rail
Barn. Simply put, you die a lot faster.

IMHO, I'd like to see the runes "detuned" a bit. The weapons are rather
balanced, but I agree with Wizard in regards to the ammo loadout being
reduced. As an admin on the server, I have the option to change these
settings, but I leave that up to the lead admin. The only change I have made
to the server was to place hook damage back on after it's been gone for over
a year. [suprisingly, it took about 3 days for anyone to notice!]

You're not the only individuals who have noted that our server [especially
as of late] "sucks". Members of my own team have also stated their dismay
over the last week or so. [Not over tactics, but regarding the server in
general] What is amounts to is we're having a daily "clan war" with one of
the other resident Clans on the server, {GDI} [ http://www.clangdi.com ] and
that's where a lot of this "teamplay" has been directed. Up until about 2-3
weeks ago things have always been cordial between us all, but lately there's
been a lot of tension. Either competition has gotten out of hand, or
something still unspoken of occured. Coupled with the possibility that one
of their guys *may* be running a bot, it's gotten worse.

In either way, we [SS] refrain from teaming up on anyone outside of {GDI} as
practice unless it's warranted. which in reality isn't that often. Our
teamplay has stemmed from observing our opponents actions and compounding on
their tactics, using them against them, and using them every time they make
a showing.

Please don't think we beatdown on everyone that comes on the server or on
just anyone. I'd like to think we're better than that. Although I feel our
tactics as of late are a *lot* more aggressive than what we're used to
doing, I feel we're still within the limits of good taste.

As for "this guy" we've beaten on for a few days... he's in the above
mentioned Clan. Whether that justifies our methods in anyone elses opinion,
I am unsure. In my opinion, it does. I may be wrong for that, but that's a
decision I'll deal with as both team leader of [SS] and as a player. How my
team plays is almost directly dictated by mine and my lieutenants decisions.
They aren't responsible for my choices, but as team players they do honor
them. Don't fault my team for following my decisions. That lies on my
shoulders.

SC|Wizard

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Phil Benton wrote:

> SC|Wizard,
>
> Not that I disagree with anything you're saying, since I respect your
> opinions on the subject, but how we do things in some eyes [like Chicken's]
> may seem alright, were as to others [like SC|Wizard] it's inappropriate.

Agreed, everyone has their own opinion, more than anything I just like
to see more in depth what happens on this server.

> Everyone plays different based on their environment, and Nostromo is no
> exception. You can't use the tactics you need to play on the Nostromo
> Lith-II server at places like Blue Sun James Bond Lithium, or Yoda's Rail
> Barn. Simply put, you die a lot faster.

Agreed. Nobody's playing style is the same, that's what makes the game
so fun. However, when you go out there on a FFA server and find
yourself in a 4 on 1 situation, kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth
about the people you're playing against.

> IMHO, I'd like to see the runes "detuned" a bit. The weapons are rather
> balanced, but I agree with Wizard in regards to the ammo loadout being
> reduced. As an admin on the server, I have the option to change these
> settings, but I leave that up to the lead admin. The only change I have made
> to the server was to place hook damage back on after it's been gone for over
> a year. [suprisingly, it took about 3 days for anyone to notice!]

Well, you could try taking the number of runes on the server down, so
that when someone has a particular rune, that's the only one on the
map. So if someone has the Strength rune, you have to kill them to get
it back. As far as the ammo, part of the game in FFA DM is picking up
weapons and using the right weapon in the right situation (and preserve
ammo and such). Whereas this server gives you everything up front, so
it's kinda like RA2 with runes and quad, except you still damage
yourself when rocket jumping. ;-) I had no idea you were one of the
admins on the server though, so you are able to do what you want with
the server. However, my feedback is just that, feedback. Just because
I don't like some of the settings on the server doesn't mean that others
don't like the way it is now. However, I always try and get feedback
from people on stuff, so I figured I'd give you some feedback and my
opinion. So take my feedback with a grain of salt so to speak.

> You're not the only individuals who have noted that our server [especially
> as of late] "sucks". Members of my own team have also stated their dismay
> over the last week or so. [Not over tactics, but regarding the server in
> general] What is amounts to is we're having a daily "clan war" with one of
> the other resident Clans on the server, {GDI} [ http://www.clangdi.com ] and
> that's where a lot of this "teamplay" has been directed. Up until about 2-3
> weeks ago things have always been cordial between us all, but lately there's
> been a lot of tension. Either competition has gotten out of hand, or
> something still unspoken of occured. Coupled with the possibility that one
> of their guys *may* be running a bot, it's gotten worse.

Well, now that you are going into more detail about your teamplay on the
server, I can understand the reasons more. Now I can understand if your
clan is teaming up against another clan on a FFA server. Reminds me of
our USA and UK battles we used to have on Thursday nights on FFA
servers. As for the details of your rivalry, competition is great, go
get'em, just don't have both your clans teaming up on other people on
the server, that would suck fot the other players ;-)

> In either way, we [SS] refrain from teaming up on anyone outside of {GDI} as
> practice unless it's warranted. which in reality isn't that often. Our
> teamplay has stemmed from observing our opponents actions and compounding on
> their tactics, using them against them, and using them every time they make
> a showing.

That's good, I'm glad you clarified that.

> Please don't think we beatdown on everyone that comes on the server or on
> just anyone. I'd like to think we're better than that. Although I feel our
> tactics as of late are a *lot* more aggressive than what we're used to
> doing, I feel we're still within the limits of good taste.

Being aggressive is fine, that's what the game is all about. Keep up
the good work.

> As for "this guy" we've beaten on for a few days... he's in the above
> mentioned Clan. Whether that justifies our methods in anyone elses opinion,
> I am unsure. In my opinion, it does. I may be wrong for that, but that's a
> decision I'll deal with as both team leader of [SS] and as a player. How my
> team plays is almost directly dictated by mine and my lieutenants decisions.
> They aren't responsible for my choices, but as team players they do honor
> them. Don't fault my team for following my decisions. That lies on my
> shoulders.

Keep up the good work then, and good luck to your clan.

Charles Borner

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Wiz, as one of these "lamers" I can speak about the tactic a bit.

Usually, when we do team up, we wind up announcing it to the server and more
or less issuing a de-facto challenge to everyone on at the time. Again,
this normally only happens when the number of people on the server exceeds
the number of people from [SS] on there. We used to run a LithCTF server
for the network for a while but network constraints (as well as people's
general lack of desire for teamplay on that network at intervals) shut it
down.

As to the person we're doubling up on, it's not like we're hunting him to
the sole exclusion of everyone else. Just, given a choice between him or
another HPB, we'd potshot him because he's occasionally a prick (IOW more
than just garden variety smack-talk). If we were hunting this guy
exclusively, I could see how you'd be right in calling us pricks.

Charles Borner

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
When we get on other servers we play differently. Manage more on our
resources. That simple.

Charles Borner

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
You think the rockets and rails are bad? Try the super-shotgun. As long as
you get in close, one or two shots'll guarantee you some spatter. ;)

--
Archbishop[SS]
Suicide Squad...Because MY dead ass isn't the one that matters! Now eat

SC|Wizard <anyw...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Chicken

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
I like my feathers in a wad hehe. I agree though in after thought that
Team on FFA is lame. If there was a problem with other players or a
player being lame then there should be a challenge issued and it
should be taken to a team serever as it otherwise fooks the fun fer
everyone else there. I remember the clan GHOST guys that used to team
up. Lame. I agree WIZ FFA server are for FFA and team servers exist
for team play.

SuperTech{OT}

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Hehe I just saw that this server is in KC Missouri. My in-laws live in Blue
Springs and we go up there every year. Nice city.

BTW I sometimes play as Alpha.com. :)

> Excellent. The wife'll be @ work late so I'll have time to play. =)
> --
> Phil Benton
> eddi...@home.com

Frank_Rizzo

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
I played yas a bit tonight... Overall, the server settings suck, and I had
no idea where I was on that map... LOL... But, ya'll were good sports in
general.. I would've played the next map, but I didn't have it!... WTF? They
(sporbly) post a map pack, then put differen't maps on?... Good game anyway
dude... You got me at the end... Very close though... even if I am a HPB...
heh.. (thinks to self... if I had only held onto 1st just a little longer...
heh)...
If ya'll ever want to play RA-2 at Nostromos House of Whack, let me know...
I'll be Tuna_Boy. I doubt I'll be back to nostros "newbie" lithium again...
=)

--
FrankRizzo{OT}
http://www.offtopic.com

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of
them."
-- Thomas Jefferson

GDX

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

> My team [Suicide Squad: http://www.surfnetinc.com/spectre/[ss] ]
rarely uses
> teamplay unless:
>
> There's more than a "few" of the other guys wearing tags.
> The same guys above start teaming up.
> There's more than a few of the guys talking smack.
> There's the possibility that one [or more] of the guys are bots.
> That we're asked to play in a match.

Good.

> Otherwise, it's usually "FFA"
Good.

> As for whether we were intentionally teaming up on him, I'd be a lair
if I
> said we weren't. And as for him getting the best of us or finding
someone
> better, I find that unlikely, even though I'd be more than willing to
> believe that. Guys that play Q2 on a regular basis run a regular
performance
> in regards to their gameplay. I have yet to find anyone who's game is
off
> one min and on the next, only to be back off again 20 min later, then
come
> back unstoppable shortly there after. That kind of inconsistancy is
what's
> gotten my attention, nothing more.
Hey. I thrive on inconsistancy :)

> But hey, the conversation has been good for making aquaintences. =)
> --
> Phil Benton
> eddi...@home.com
>

> SC|Wizard <anyw...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > Yes but regarding you and your friend "beating up on him"....were
you two
> > "teaming up on him" or just fragging everybody, but mostly him???
Teaming
> up on
> > FFA servers is lame, but if you were just aiming for him more than
the
> other
> > guy...well SuperTech can vouch for that one....hehe
>

SC|Wizard

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
Understood.

Charles Borner wrote:

Charles Borner

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
No Frank.

Sporb had an older mapset on there, trimmed some of them out (hitting ALL
EIGHT FRAGTOWN MAPS IN A SERIES sucked). I'll see if Sporb will post a new
maplist so people can snag them.

--

> I played yas a bit tonight... Overall, the server settings suck, and I had
> no idea where I was on that map... LOL... But, ya'll were good sports in
> general.. I would've played the next map, but I didn't have it!... WTF?
They
> (sporbly) post a map pack, then put differen't maps on?... Good game
anyway
> dude... You got me at the end... Very close though... even if I am a
HPB...
> heh.. (thinks to self... if I had only held onto 1st just a little
longer...
> heh)...
> If ya'll ever want to play RA-2 at Nostromos House of Whack, let me
know...
> I'll be Tuna_Boy. I doubt I'll be back to nostros "newbie" lithium
again...
> =)
>
> --
> FrankRizzo{OT}
> http://www.offtopic.com
>
> "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government
> from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of
> them."
> -- Thomas Jefferson
>

> Phil Benton <eddi...@home.com> wrote in message

> > Excellent. The wife'll be @ work late so I'll have time to play. =)
> > --
> > Phil Benton
> > eddi...@home.com

c...@lingthng.com

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
In article <7pc9el$69m$1...@hyperion.nitco.com>,

what it sounds like is that this hpb kept joining and causing trouble,
so you made a tradition of running him out. So, the guy comes back with
either someone with mega skills or with a bot (which is likely
considering the situation and how much he musta been itching to get you
back...)
I'd say it's possible that he had a bot, but don't get your hopes up. A
lot of people are really good with stuff like perfect hits with rocket
launcher, dodging, etc. A bot is always terrible with projectiles (it
only works with instant-hit weapons like railgun).

Sheesh, my isp sucks so bad that I had to get on deja just to send the
message (never appeared otherwise).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

SC|Wizard

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
Glad to see you finally post something man. Welcome to AGQ2!!!!!!!!

GDX wrote:

> Phack u. LPBs teaming up on an HPB. Damn, I hope he was using a bot,
> you deserve it. Hmm..
>
> Post the IP of that server. I'll round up some HPBs to teach you one
> about teaming up.
>
> Note: This post influence by just playing a game where I was 1st place,
> until I lagged out and couldn't even finish the game, though I do know
> that an LPB won :(
>
> PS. I have nothing against LPBs. I hope to be one someday (according to
> my cable co, in 2001). But teaming up in general is lame unless you're
> on a team server.

> --
> -GDX
> UIN: 39503186
> apreygel at hotmail dot com
> "To be confused is to fully understand."
>

> Phil Benton <Ed_H...@evilnet.net> wrote in message

Phil Benton

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
The IP is 208.228.136.9

Start the roundup. We're finished with our little war against {GDI} so it'll
be nice having someone else to gib. You see anyone with an [SS] or [TFX] on
the server, just tell them why you're there.

Hell...I think even the {GDI} guys would like someone new to beat on for a
change, so you might want to hook up with them too.

-Ed Hunter[SS]
eddi...@home.com

melnikph...@yahoo.com

Jan 25, 2017, 5:02:34 PM1/25/17
Well isn't this nice. All those years ago and I find Ed telling fish stories and complaining. Being one of the original members of {GDI}, let me start by saying that none of us ever were bots or used any software that auto targeted or dodged shots. And it was usually Ed and his clan being run off servers by anyone of us (Roach, Beelzabubba, Toe, Vomit, Mad Bomber, Buster or me; Hecubus). And yes, we were very annoying. And seeing that we were never run off servers, that just goes to show that we put in a lot of time and practice to improve. If you ever looked up the top 50,000 players on Lithium 2 sites, Buster was always around the upper 20's, Roach was around 50th and I hovered around 100-120th place range (i just couldn't put in the time that Buster did). That's 100th place out of 50K players. I didn't need to run a bot.

With all that being said, Ed's group made fun targets and I hope everyone that we played with is doing well almost 20 years later.

Miss the good old days...

Sincerely
Hecubus

Byron Melnik