Third Person View in Quake II

Tom Alsberg

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00
Hi there, fellow Quake players.
I would like to know whether it is possible to see myself from "third
person view" on Quake II (without any special MOD). I mean, something like a
ChaseCam for myself. Is there any console function/command(s) to do this?

Thank you,
Tom Alsberg (a.k.a Zoopee).

Dan Swall

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00
Not that I know of.
Tom Alsberg <alsb...@crosswinds.net> wrote in message

Dave&hisKat

Sep 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/17/00
Nope, sorry bro. Takes a Mod to do that. There IS one out there somewhere..
(sorry, I dont know the name) but never saw a server running it. Dont think it
would be too popular.
[CaQ]DreadDave

OTSER

Sep 17, 2000, 10:24:17 AM9/17/00
"Tom Alsberg" <alsb...@crosswinds.net> wrote

> I would like to know whether it is possible to see myself from "third
> person view" on Quake II (without any special MOD). I mean, something like
> ChaseCam for myself. Is there any console function/command(s) to do this?

There's was a Third-Person mod available but it's home page is gone.
Anyway, it didn't let you play in Third-Person mode except on servers
running the mod, so it's use was limited to itself only.

The only other way to see yourself is if you connect twice to the same
game server, and spectate yourself with one connection, using Quake 2
in two windows on the Desktop. Probably only worth doing if you have
a fast connection (cable, T1, etc) and a graphics card that can show
Quake 2 in hardware mode in a window (like the GeForce).

Regards, Otser.

--
Web Site: http://go.to/otser (for Quake, Psion 3x, Amiga software).
E-Mail : ot...@yahoo.com (subjects without "Otser" are auto-deleted).

OTSER

Sep 17, 2000, 10:28:39 AM9/17/00
"OTSER" <ot...@yahoo.com> wrote

> There's was a Third-Person mod available but it's home page is gone.

I just found out that the home page used to be here:

http://www.planetquake.com/spine/

Anyway, if you want to do the Single-Player game of Quake 2 in Third
Person mode, well you can if you download JediQuake from here:

http://www.planetquake.com/psychosoft/jedi/index.html

The only catch is that you have to play it as Darth Maul with a
Lightsaber, but who's complaining? :)

Sigma

Sep 18, 2000, 8:27:31 PM9/18/00
Hi Tom,

Dug into my archives and found what you're looking for. 'Thirdpp' zip file
attached (145k). Hadn't used it for a while so I just re-installed it in my
Q2 directory and fired up with the command line: Run

C:\quake2\quake2.exe +set game thirdpp

Once you're in the game type 'thirdperson' at the console and watch that
ugly shaven-headed marine go! Alternatively, you can bind a key to it. It
switches off when you change levels.

Sam

OTSER

Sep 19, 2000, 12:52:32 AM9/19/00
"Sigma" <zeu...@icscotland.net> wrote

> Dug into my archives and found what you're looking for. 'Thirdpp' zip
> file attached (145k).

Hi Sigma,

Could you please post this in alt.binaries.games.quake, or E-Mail me
a copy? Many thanks! :)

26caleb...@ucsstudent.org

Jan 14, 2020, 7:40:29 PM1/14/20
On Thursday, September 14, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> Hi there, fellow Quake players.
> I would like to know whether it is possible to see myself from "third
> person view" on Quake II (without any special MOD). I mean, something like a
> ChaseCam for myself. Is there any console function/command(s) to do this?
>
> Thank you,
> Tom Alsberg (a.k.a Zoopee).

yes. you just have to press ` and then type thirdperson

OP 8Z

Jan 23, 2023, 3:41:52 PM1/23/23
Rest in peace Tom Alsberg

1985-2021