Re: Quake Enhanced Tips & Mods !

Ant

Aug 26, 2021, 5:34:18 PM8/26/21
rms <rsqui...@mooflashmoo.net> wrote:
> [Quake Enhanced (free update on Steam) tips copied from another forum]

> "Quake 2021 first step: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Quake_(2021)
> tl;dr: use r_gpuCulling 0 in console to fix the bug that cripples the
> framerate in the new addon
> https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1428651543641956358 literally goes from
> 60 to 500 fps
> cl_backspeed 400 fixes the movement speed. Yes quake in its earliest version
> had a 200 setting but it was fixed in updates. So its even the defacto
> standard in netquake.

> If you have framepace issues try turning off vsync, set game to unlimted fps
> and then use msi afterburner to limit the framerate to the maximum your
> monitor manages (this also helps with input lag, even if you only have a
> 60hz monitor).

> Rps has a tremendous 3 piece article series about the state of quake and
> mods in particular :
> https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/quake-renaissance-how-to-start-playing-quake

> Mods as mentioned in the article:
> http://lunaran.com/copper/download/ Underdark Overbright is a brilliant take
> on the original quake and uses these design changes
> http://lunaran.com/copper/changes/
> arcane dimensions https://www.moddb.com/mods/arcane-dimensions/
> is the best quake modding has to offer (as per mods of the year 2021) and if
> you have not checked it out since release in 2017? you should go back and
> play it for new additions like tears of the false god
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3R7VXvtG_I

Nice. I am going to stick with the original Quake and its third party
stuff for now though since it still works. :)
--
Paralympics!
| |o o| |

Francis S

Aug 26, 2021, 11:36:26 PM8/26/21
Nice to see Quake getting some love, especially after Champions.

Ant

Aug 27, 2021, 8:33:28 PM8/27/21
In alt.games.quake Francis S <whati...@mail.com> wrote:
> Nice to see Quake getting some love, especially after Champions.

I still haven't played QC. :/
--
Too many free huge sized game trials!

Francis S

Aug 28, 2021, 3:37:17 AM8/28/21
On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 19:33:23 -0500, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>In alt.games.quake Francis S <whati...@mail.com> wrote:
>> Nice to see Quake getting some love, especially after Champions.
>
>I still haven't played QC. :/

In my opinion, you aren't missing much. It's worth a download to check
out though, being free and all.

Ant

Aug 28, 2021, 4:10:30 AM8/28/21
Does it even have single player campaigns like Q1 & Q2? I wasn't crazy about Q3A.

Francis S

Aug 28, 2021, 10:29:31 AM8/28/21
On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 03:10:22 -0500, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Francis S <whati...@mail.com> wrote:

>> >I still haven't played QC. :/
>
>> In my opinion, you aren't missing much. It's worth a download to check
>> out though, being free and all.
>
>Does it even have single player campaigns like Q1 & Q2? I wasn't crazy about Q3A.

Unfortunately no, it's a strictly multiplayer only arena style shooter
through and through.They incorporated a mild class system too, similar
to Overwatch and Team Fortress.

Ant

Aug 28, 2021, 6:23:20 PM8/28/21
In alt.games.quake Francis S <whati...@mail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 03:10:22 -0500, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >> In my opinion, you aren't missing much. It's worth a download to check
> >> out though, being free and all.
> >
> >Does it even have single player campaigns like Q1 & Q2? I wasn't crazy about Q3A.

> Unfortunately no, it's a strictly multiplayer only arena style shooter
> through and through.They incorporated a mild class system too, similar
> to Overwatch and Team Fortress.

Interesting. So like Q3A with extras.
--
Too many videos and free huge sized game trials!

Francis S

Aug 29, 2021, 12:22:55 PM8/29/21
On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:23:15 -0500, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>In alt.games.quake Francis S <whati...@mail.com> wrote:

>> >Does it even have single player campaigns like Q1 & Q2? I wasn't crazy about Q3A.
>
>> Unfortunately no, it's a strictly multiplayer only arena style shooter
>> through and through.They incorporated a mild class system too, similar
>> to Overwatch and Team Fortress.
>
>Interesting. So like Q3A with extras.

Pretty much. The gameplay is decent if you liked Q3A, it's fast and
twitchy, but I still find myself going back to Q3A and Quake Live
instead.

Ant

Aug 29, 2021, 11:11:09 PM8/29/21
I never played Quake Live too. Actually, I don't even remmeber that name. Ha.