Can I still use the original Quake 1 retail CD (DOS) from 1996?

Ant

Apr 13, 2018, 8:34:59 PM4/13/18
I bought it, used (no scratches), for 99 cents from a local estate sale.
I used to play it, its QuakeWorld, mods, etc. back in the college!

Can I use a VirtualBox's VM (FreeDOS?)/DOSbox to install, upgrade, and
then use another front end client to play it on my new computers (64-bit
Linux/Debian stable, MacBook Pros' Mac OS (v10.11.6+), and Windows 7?)?
I also noticed the retail CD and its cover (no box) didn't have a CD
key. I don't remember it having one back then?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "No, I'd prefer a cooler WITHOUT an ant-door, thank you..." --unknown
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )

SJ Zero

Apr 29, 2018, 12:02:06 AM4/29/18
Ant wrote:
> I bought it, used (no scratches), for 99 cents from a local estate sale.
> I used to play it, its QuakeWorld, mods, etc. back in the college!
>
> Can I use a VirtualBox's VM (FreeDOS?)/DOSbox to install, upgrade, and
> then use another front end client to play it on my new computers (64-bit
> Linux/Debian stable, MacBook Pros' Mac OS (v10.11.6+), and Windows 7?)?
> I also noticed the retail CD and its cover (no box) didn't have a CD
> key. I don't remember it having one back then?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

As I recall, the actual program is on there, not packed up in any way.
You should be able to drop the .pak files into any source port.

On the other hand, windows should have no issue running glquake or
winquake, both of which may be included on the CD. If they're included,
then windows 7 ought to be able to run an installer.

I believe the darkplaces engine will run quake on all 3 platforms.

https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html

-SJ0

Ant

Apr 30, 2018, 12:20:30 AM4/30/18
SJ Zero <sj0a...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> > I bought it, used (no scratches), for 99 cents from a local estate sale.
> > I used to play it, its QuakeWorld, mods, etc. back in the college!
> >
> > Can I use a VirtualBox's VM (FreeDOS?)/DOSbox to install, upgrade, and
> > then use another front end client to play it on my new computers (64-bit
> > Linux/Debian stable, MacBook Pros' Mac OS (v10.11.6+), and Windows 7?)?
> > I also noticed the retail CD and its cover (no box) didn't have a CD
> > key. I don't remember it having one back then?
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)
> >

> As I recall, the actual program is on there, not packed up in any way.
> You should be able to drop the .pak files into any source port.

Um, I don't see any *.pak files and id1 directory. I did a "dir /o:n /s"
of the CD to copy and paste into https://pastebin.ca/4017837 ... :(
--
Quote of the Week: "Ah. Those club kids did eat those ants up like popcorn." --CSI: Miami (Wannabe episode; #218)

SJ Zero

May 4, 2018, 8:41:26 PM5/4/18
Ant wrote:
> SJ Zero <sj0a...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>>> I bought it, used (no scratches), for 99 cents from a local estate sale.
>>> I used to play it, its QuakeWorld, mods, etc. back in the college!
>>>
>>> Can I use a VirtualBox's VM (FreeDOS?)/DOSbox to install, upgrade, and
>>> then use another front end client to play it on my new computers (64-bit
>>> Linux/Debian stable, MacBook Pros' Mac OS (v10.11.6+), and Windows 7?)?
>>> I also noticed the retail CD and its cover (no box) didn't have a CD
>>> key. I don't remember it having one back then?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance. :)
>>>

>> As I recall, the actual program is on there, not packed up in any way.
>> You should be able to drop the .pak files into any source port.
>
> Um, I don't see any *.pak files and id1 directory. I did a "dir /o:n /s"
> of the CD to copy and paste into https://pastebin.ca/4017837 ... :(

That's a different disk than I'm used to.

I do believe that dosbox should be able to run the installer. I think
deice is a dos program.

Ant

May 4, 2018, 11:44:58 PM5/4/18
I was able to install it in FreeDOS v1.2 in VirtualBox. However, it doesn't seem
like a full game. :(

--
May, the 4th, be with you always.