What (wa/i)s your favorite Quake game?

Ant

Aug 17, 2020, 11:46:31 PM8/17/20
Mine is and was Quake 2 for both its single and multiplayer of Quake 1,
2, and 3 (least favorite since I wasn't a big multiplayer fan). They all
had awesome engines and mod supports. I briefly played Quake 4 and Wars,
but not fully to rate them. What about yours?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses, heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc.
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

pop

Aug 18, 2020, 2:01:44 PM8/18/20
Ant wrote on 8/17/2020 10:46 PM:
> Mine is and was Quake 2 for both its single and multiplayer of Quake 1,
> 2, and 3 (least favorite since I wasn't a big multiplayer fan). They all
> had awesome engines and mod supports. I briefly played Quake 4 and Wars,
> but not fully to rate them. What about yours?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

Mine is still Quake-1 and Quake-2; I only do single player in both and
don't do online anymore (getting too old - I'm 83); I have thousands of
downloaded maps and multi-level pak files that I haven't got to yet to
play; I enjoy making script files to auto setup a directory to play a
map or pak file with options to select a map from the pak file list.
FWIW I also play the thousands of doom-1 and doom-2 maps with auto
scripting. I normally run darkplaces 1.0.0 3/29/2017 for Q1 and
Quake.exe 3.21 Nov 2010 for Q2; The latest version of gzdoom.exe for D1
and D2.

--
Best wishes;
(^\pop/^) -> Mark

Ant

Aug 18, 2020, 5:28:38 PM8/18/20
pop <p_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Mine is still Quake-1 and Quake-2; I only do single player in both and
> don't do online anymore (getting too old - I'm 83); I have thousands of
> downloaded maps and multi-level pak files that I haven't got to yet to
> play; I enjoy making script files to auto setup a directory to play a
> map or pak file with options to select a map from the pak file list.
> FWIW I also play the thousands of doom-1 and doom-2 maps with auto
> scripting. I normally run darkplaces 1.0.0 3/29/2017 for Q1 and
> Quake.exe 3.21 Nov 2010 for Q2; The latest version of gzdoom.exe for D1
> and D2.

Wow, you must be the oldest Quaker! I'm about halfway to your age. Ha,
I used to do that during Quake's and DOOM prime days in the 90s. My two
DOOM 2 mods:
http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html. ;)

Last night, I checked out https://www.yamagi.org/quake2/ with an
enhancement mod. Wow, it's so nice. I was thinking of replaying Q2 SP,
but remember there's a RTX one
(https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089130/Quake_II_RTX/) too so I
should wait for that whenever I get a new PC for it since I'm still
using my two over a decade old PCs! :/

What are you playing these days at 83? I rarely play any games these days.

pop

Aug 18, 2020, 9:05:37 PM8/18/20
Ant wrote on 8/18/2020 04:28 PM:
> pop <p_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Mine is still Quake-1 and Quake-2; I only do single player in both and
>> don't do online anymore (getting too old - I'm 83); I have thousands of
>> downloaded maps and multi-level pak files that I haven't got to yet to
>> play; I enjoy making script files to auto setup a directory to play a
>> map or pak file with options to select a map from the pak file list.
>> FWIW I also play the thousands of doom-1 and doom-2 maps with auto
>> scripting. I normally run darkplaces 1.0.0 3/29/2017 for Q1 and
>> Quake.exe 3.21 Nov 2010 for Q2; The latest version of gzdoom.exe for D1
>> and D2.
>
> Wow, you must be the oldest Quaker! I'm about halfway to your age. Ha,
> I used to do that during Quake's and DOOM prime days in the 90s. My two
> DOOM 2 mods:
> http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html. ;)
>
> Last night, I checked out https://www.yamagi.org/quake2/ with an
> enhancement mod. Wow, it's so nice. I was thinking of replaying Q2 SP,
> but remember there's a RTX one
> (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089130/Quake_II_RTX/) too so I
> should wait for that whenever I get a new PC for it since I'm still
> using my two over a decade old PCs! :/
>
> What are you playing these days at 83? I rarely play any games these days.

In addition, I play the original Wolfenstein 3D with tons of mods and
map generators - I use ecwolf.exe mostly unless the mod provides a
WolfSDL.exe; Games? I got tons of old games such as alone in the dark,
catacombs,blake stone (1&2), Jedi Knight (1+2),Star Trek Elite Force and
many more too numerous to name. And yes, I have played them all but like
to go back every once in a while to replay just for enjoyment (and using
cheats to just let off steam!)

Ant

Aug 19, 2020, 1:05:41 AM8/19/20
Wolf3D was cool. I remember making maps and changing its graphics and
sound effects. Haha. Alone of the Dark 1 was rad. BS was OK. JK games
were rad. I miss LucasArts. ST:EF was fun as a Trekk(ie/er). I never
played its sequel. DId you use those third party programs to make those
old games better too when replaying? Q1 and Q2 were interesting with
third party. I love open source, modding, etc. I miss being young with
lots of energy, times, etc. since the rad 80s (arcades, Atari 2600,
etc.). :(

Crossposted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action newsgroup (oh, usenet's
newsgroups still rule; where is everyone else in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action and newgroups? Wake up! [grin])). :)

pop

Aug 19, 2020, 6:07:32 AM8/19/20
Yes, I used all the 3rd party pgms I could find to improve the old
games; since I'm 83 now, I was in my 40s during the 80s and teaching my
grandkids how to play Atari, Pong, etc.. (I have 11 GKids and 10
Great-GKids and 2 Great-Great-GKids - Big family nearly breaks me at
Xmas and BDs!!)

Zaghadka

Aug 19, 2020, 10:08:40 AM8/19/20
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 00:05:35 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ant
wrote:
We're here. :^P

My favorite Quake "memory" is Quake 1. It was just revolutionary and I
had to buy a new computer to get rid of Mr. Turtle. Just blew my mind.

I use the Darkplaces engine to play it from time to time with modern
rendering. I highly recommend it.

My favorite Quake, however, is Quake III, for the incredible multiplayer
and feeling of pace. Even though it had no SP campaign, even playing
against bots was a trip.

I mean, rocket jump. Need I say more?

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Ant

Aug 19, 2020, 4:21:26 PM8/19/20
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action pop <p_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I used all the 3rd party pgms I could find to improve the old
> games; since I'm 83 now, I was in my 40s during the 80s and teaching my
> grandkids how to play Atari, Pong, etc.. (I have 11 GKids and 10
> Great-GKids and 2 Great-Great-GKids - Big family nearly breaks me at
> Xmas and BDs!!)

Atari 2600 was rad. Pong, I remember seeing and playing(?) that in my
elementary school!

Ant

Aug 19, 2020, 4:54:26 PM8/19/20
Oops. I meant to say alt.games.quake. Damn >100F degrees heat wave. :(

> My favorite Quake "memory" is Quake 1. It was just revolutionary and I
> had to buy a new computer to get rid of Mr. Turtle. Just blew my mind.

For me, it was qtest for Linux back in college in Feburary 1996. My
friends and I played it in a computer lab without audio (no sound card).
It was amazing! :D

> I use the Darkplaces engine to play it from time to time with modern
> rendering. I highly recommend it.

Ah, I used Quakespasm (http://triptohell.info/moodles/qss/) last week.
https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/index.html seems to be outdated
(no updates since 5/13/2014)? :(

> My favorite Quake, however, is Quake III, for the incredible multiplayer
> and feeling of pace. Even though it had no SP campaign, even playing
> against bots was a trip.

> I mean, rocket jump. Need I say more?

Heh, I am not a big fan of multiplayer but Q3A had a nice engine and mod
support.

FYI: https://www.reddit.com/r/quake/comments/i8minh/using_bethesdanet_launchers_downloaded_and/.

Rin Stowleigh

Aug 19, 2020, 4:57:49 PM8/19/20

Mine would have to be Quake 1 multiplayer with the original Team
Fortress mod. So much fun, and pretty much the grandfather of
class-based multiplayer shooters.

Zaghadka

Aug 20, 2020, 8:46:46 AM8/20/20
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 15:21:20 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ant
wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action pop <p_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I used all the 3rd party pgms I could find to improve the old
>> games; since I'm 83 now, I was in my 40s during the 80s and teaching my
>> grandkids how to play Atari, Pong, etc.. (I have 11 GKids and 10
>> Great-GKids and 2 Great-Great-GKids - Big family nearly breaks me at
>> Xmas and BDs!!)
>
>Atari 2600 was rad. Pong, I remember seeing and playing(?) that in my
>elementary school!

My friends and I would play Warlords, 4 player!, almost every day after
school. Usually player 4, the green player, was played by "Sir Dim," the
AI player, or my best friend's younger sister.

I now have this game again with two sets of paddles, so if you want to
come over, it's a blast. ;^)

Ant

Aug 20, 2020, 5:38:27 PM8/20/20
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 15:21:20 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ant
> wrote:

> >In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action pop <p_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Yes, I used all the 3rd party pgms I could find to improve the old
> >> games; since I'm 83 now, I was in my 40s during the 80s and teaching my
> >> grandkids how to play Atari, Pong, etc.. (I have 11 GKids and 10
> >> Great-GKids and 2 Great-Great-GKids - Big family nearly breaks me at
> >> Xmas and BDs!!)
> >
> >Atari 2600 was rad. Pong, I remember seeing and playing(?) that in my
> >elementary school!

> My friends and I would play Warlords, 4 player!, almost every day after
> school. Usually player 4, the green player, was played by "Sir Dim," the
> AI player, or my best friend's younger sister.

I don't think I ever played it with other human people, but i can see why that
would be fun. Hey, remember Combat? ;)

> I now have this game again with two sets of paddles, so if you want to
> come over, it's a blast. ;^)

Where? ;) I think they have online Atari 2600 emulators now like MAME. ;)

Zaghadka

Aug 24, 2020, 3:34:14 PM8/24/20
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 16:38:22 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ant
wrote:

>Where? ;) I think they have online Atari 2600 emulators now like MAME. ;)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atari-Flashback-8-Gold-DELUXE-with-120-Games-Includes-2-Controllers-and-2-Paddles/261823676

The "deluxe" model comes with one set of paddles. I had to get the other
off of eBay, as AtGames doesn't appear to be making them any longer.
Those work perfectly, but the 6-pin DIN connector is pretty loose.

The provided controllers are not as good as the originals. The joysticks
have a lot of play in them, instead of being stiff like the originals.
However the provided joysticks are wireless.

The Flashback 8 has HDMI out.

Oddly, the Flashback doesn't come with the original 2600 "Space
Invaders." It comes with Space Invaders, but it isn't the VCS version.
It's a bad port of the arcade game. Must be some kind of Sears licensing
thing.

Mitchell Flaherty

Sep 7, 2020, 3:59:02 PM9/7/20
I know I'm a bit late to the discussion, but how do you guys feel about
Quake 3? It was the first Quake game I played, and the one I had the
most fun with, even though I wasn't really competitive in online play.
Even the bots were fun to play against, at least in my opinion.

Rin Stowleigh

Sep 7, 2020, 4:38:25 PM9/7/20
I had a lot of fun with it, mostly online play. Quake 2 was a bit of
a dud overall.. Q3 really captured "twitch" gameplay properly.

Mitchell Flaherty

Sep 7, 2020, 6:04:21 PM9/7/20
In alt.games.quake Rin Stowleigh <rstow...@xnospamx.com> wrote:
> I had a lot of fun with it, mostly online play. Quake 2 was a bit of
> a dud overall.. Q3 really captured "twitch" gameplay properly.

I still think Quake 3 was best for that style of gameplay. The movement
and weapons just felt perfect. Quake 2 did seem a bit bland, at least
compared to quake 1 and 3, though I did not play quake 2 multiplayer, so
I can't comment on that aspect. I remember quake 4 being alright as far
as single player, but I didn't like its multiplayer, though that may
just be because my computer just was not up to it.

Has anyone here played quake 4? I didn't think it was amazing, but at
least it was a sequel to quake 2.

francis

Nov 27, 2020, 11:39:32 AM11/27/20
I definitely spent the most time with Quake 3, starting out on the
Dreamcast. That console received a damn near perfect port, online
gameplay, and still actually has an active following to this day. I still
start up my Dreamcast to play against folks now and again.

rms

Nov 27, 2020, 5:30:02 PM11/27/20
>I definitely spent the most time with Quake 3, starting out on the
>Dreamcast.

Not sure I responded to this thread yet; I recall trying Q1test before I
bought a 3dfx card, and getting 0.1fps :) Q1 definitely had a good, dark
vibe to it, especially with the Tenebrae mod (which has been superceded by
more modern advanced lighting mods), but I also enjoyed Quake4 quite a bit,
and Raven's take.

rms

Ant

Nov 27, 2020, 6:44:49 PM11/27/20
Heh, I didn't even have a PC to play it nicely for qtest86. I remember playing it in my
university's computer lab on a Pentium with no sound card. It was nice even in software mode.
My friends and I were in awe.

--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, tiredness, z, my body, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), heat, interruptions, issues, conflicts, obstacles, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. D:

rms

Nov 27, 2020, 7:35:54 PM11/27/20
> Not sure I responded to this thread yet; I recall trying Q1test before
> bought a 3dfx card, and getting 0.1fps :)

I remember now, I was trying glQuake with a software opengl wrapper, not
the regular quake.

rms