[PWT] [META] Mega Evolution & Z-Moves vs. Dynamax Policy (SwSh Spoilers?)

Tech Weaver

Feb 11, 2020, 2:52:13 PM2/11/20
I know it's been a few months, but I still feel like I should provide a spoiler warning for Sword and Shield. I only just beat it myself. Well, in that I became Champion. I'm still working on the post-credits content and Wild Area events and whatnot.

So during the battle against Eternatus something occurred that actually kinda gels with the current policy about Mega Evolution and Z-Move use in Galar. Eternatus somehow prevented the player and Hop's Pokémon from attacking and using moves. It's not that the Pokémon don't respond, as Hop confirms that moves are specifically disabled. This is on top of being unable to Dynamax (due to Eternatus being the source of it) even after the box Legendaries show up and reenable our attacks.

This feels like a bit of prescience on my part, as I had stated in PWT's rules that Galar Particles/Dynamax Energy inhibits both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves to the point of it being impossible in a Power Spot. This leads me to wonder if, like me, Game Freak wanted to justify not having them in the game by suggesting Eternatus actively prevents them from working. Incidentally, while I had written in the rules that technological means of enabling them were being looked into, I'm now thinking it could be entirely possible to just ask Eternatus to allow them.

I kind of have to wonder what our policy on Eternatus has to be considering our general policy of not even allowing NPC's to own Legendaries. We made an exception for Gladion as he canonically still owns Silvally as far as I know, but canonically the player owns Eternatus. You *literally* can't not catch it. Does Leon own it? Oleana? The Pokémon League?

I'm kind of entertaining the idea that Eternatus just lives in the power plant under Hammerlocke Stadium now, providing power and Dynamaxing because we cool now, and it has a TV set up so it could watch Pokémon battles.

William A. Rendfeld

Feb 12, 2020, 9:22:05 AM2/12/20
Amusingly, I just recently became Champion myself over this past weekend.

As for Eternatus, your idea works, though maybe it could roam around, occasionally pop in to test the new Champion?

Tech Weaver

Feb 12, 2020, 6:32:39 PM2/12/20
Well, according to the rules Leon is Champion (again or still), but I don't see why not.