Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

neopets @ posixnap

da leggere,
13 gen 2003, 14:17:3913/01/03
I have written, with a couple friends of mine, a whole API for the
Neopets site in Perl. Perl is a free programming language, available
at www.cpan.org for unix (and www.activestate.com for windows). It
comes with MacOS X. At present, we require a lot of modules:

Data::Dumper;
Exporter;
File::Slurp;
Getopt::Long;
HTTP::Cookies;
LWP::UserAgent;
Statistics::Descriptive;
Term::ANSIColor;
Term::ReadKey;
URI::Escape;
XML::Simple

However, some of these are part of the perl core distribution.

This software allows you to accomplish any task on the Neopets site
from the unix command line (or from DOS, or from your own CGI script
...). Examples of such things are:

Getting a scratch card.
Getting items from the Money Tree.
Depositing money and withdrawing money from the bank.
Training your pet.
Heal your pet.
Searching for items on the wizard.
Buying items from a shop.
Putting items in your shop.
Visiting the "wheels."
Play NeoQuest.
Play Poogle Solitaire.

There are dozens more features, and there are simply too many to list.
There are examples distributed with it, but you must understand perl
in order to use the software.

Some people might consider this cheating; The authors feel this is a
rather narrow-minded characterization of the activities permitted. The
reason the modules were originally written was the site
(www.neopets.com) was so pitifully slow as to make it all but useless.
So we wrote interfaces for simple tasks which would take us hours of
playing in a web browser. We still play the games, we just use Unix to
do it. It is much faster. Additionally, it is possible to load an
entire shop page without loading all of its images, making it much
quicker to buy an item. This very same activity is seen by users
viewing the site through a caching proxy (like squid).

All the perl modules include extensive documentation, and come with
examples and test programs so that you can begin to write your own
programs very quickly (again, a basic knowledge of perl is required).

Using these modules, the authors were able to write programs that
would earn about 100,000 neopoints per day. None of the authors were
ever frozen for using the modules. This software is designed to
function exactly like a normal web browser, using proper referers and
user-agents, using content type codings and cookies. Every single step
has been taken to make these modules be as polite (and in fact more
polite due to the reduced image traffic) as a browser. In no way can
these modules be used to "attack" or "hack" the Neopets servers.

You can find the software here:

http://envy.posixnap.net/~alex/neo.tar.gz

This is a "gzipped tarball." It must be uncompressed and then un
tarred. There are tools to do this for windows, but Unix people should
understand.

If the authors see enough usage of the software, the makefile will be
completed, and it will be distributed via CPAN. The CVS repository of
the tree is available here:

http://envy.posixnap.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb/neo/

It is presently under active development, but this tree has been
stable long enough to be considered a 'release candidate.'

Anyways, feel free to mail the authors at neo...@posixnap.net if you
have any questions.

Thanks for your time,
The POSIXNap Neopets Team.

Charlie

da leggere,
13 gen 2003, 14:24:0013/01/03
As far as I know this *IS* considered cheating by NeoPets. It will end up
with your account being terminated if they find out. This message has been
cc'd both to the original author and to ab...@neopets.com.

Charlie.

<<MESSAGE INCLUDED BELOW>>

"neopets @ posixnap" <neo...@posixnap.net> wrote in message

<<HEADERS INCLUDED BELOW>>

From: neo...@posixnap.net (neopets @ posixnap)
Newsgroups: alt.games.neopets
Subject: Neopets Perl API for almost the entire site.
Date: 13 Jan 2003 11:17:39 -0800

---

neopets @ posixnap

da leggere,
13 gen 2003, 23:24:4613/01/03
"Charlie" <g...@lowfidelity.org.ukSPAM> wrote in message news:<avv3te$q5d$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> As far as I know this *IS* considered cheating by NeoPets. It will end up
> with your account being terminated if they find out. This message has been
> cc'd both to the original author and to ab...@neopets.com.

Well, I didn't get the CC, so I suppose you're FOS here. Additionally,
the Neopets rules specify:

> 7. If you cheat on NeoPets games or use cheat programs or other people's software to play the
> games, we will freeze your account.

If you do not use the poogle solitaire module or the neoquest module,
you are not violating this rule. Simply grabbing items out of the shop
or the wizard is not, and has not ever been called a "Game" by the
Neopets staff.

They make other vague claims about such and such programs which you
arent supposed to use. None of these modules actually *do* anything.
They just provide an API -- an Application Programming Interface. If
you decide to use the modules to write your own program and violate
Neopet's Terms and Conditions, that is your business.

Additionally, before taking the steps to release the software, I made
*quite* certain my account was frozen. I want to make it perfectly
clear that I am not playing the game, that I have no interest in
playing the game, and do not intend to play the game, ever again.

The Neopets staff have paid no attention to their users. If you
mention the word "paypal" in a neomail, your account is automatically
frozen, and nobody cares to listen, even if it isn't mentioned and was
an accident.

There are simply too many people on the site and their admins are
simply too incompetent, as are their programmers. If you think you're
going to get caught and your account frozen, you could simply make
fifteen accounts. I certainly don't recommend you do that, however, as
it is a violation of their terms and conditions.

Like I said, you have to know how to use perl. This is not a program
to cheat, it is a set of libraries that allow you to operate the site
from a command line interface, or an interface you design.

Neopets @ POSIXNap

-=^>Prozak<^=-

da leggere,
14 gen 2003, 02:59:0614/01/03
Just out of curiosity how do you use this exactly? Do you need to make the
program yourself? Sorry im a newbie to this sort of stuff.

"neopets @ posixnap" <neo...@posixnap.net> wrote in message

Charlie

da leggere,
14 gen 2003, 07:46:2014/01/03
Well, Neopets do frequently listen to their users as we often have people
frozen from out abuse emails. This was not so much to get your account
frozen, as to let Neopets know that it's going on so they can be on the
lookout. I believe it's cheating as usually programmes like this allow you
to choose what you want it to buy and at what price. This isn't fair to
other users.

The message I attempted to send to you went through earlier today.

--
www.LowFidelity.Org.Uk
***

"neopets @ posixnap" <neo...@posixnap.net> wrote in message

~*Connie*~

da leggere,
14 gen 2003, 09:37:4814/01/03

"neopets @ posixnap" <neo...@posixnap.net> wrote in message

> Additionally, before taking the steps to release the software, I made

> *quite* certain my account was frozen. I want to make it perfectly
> clear that I am not playing the game, that I have no interest in
> playing the game, and do not intend to play the game, ever again.
>
> The Neopets staff have paid no attention to their users. If you
> mention the word "paypal" in a neomail, your account is automatically
> frozen, and nobody cares to listen, even if it isn't mentioned and was
> an accident.
>
> There are simply too many people on the site and their admins are
> simply too incompetent, as are their programmers. If you think you're
> going to get caught and your account frozen, you could simply make
> fifteen accounts. I certainly don't recommend you do that, however, as
> it is a violation of their terms and conditions.
>
> Like I said, you have to know how to use perl. This is not a program
> to cheat, it is a set of libraries that allow you to operate the site
> from a command line interface, or an interface you design.
>
> Neopets @ POSIXNap

while I will agree with everything you wrote here, (except the paypal thing,
but Im not about to try to confirm this, although I don't doubt it one bit)
that is no reason to go about creating something to get an advantage over
other players in the game, which is what you are doing.

You seem to be wanting revenge here... the only explanation I can think of.
You will not play the game any more, but you are creating something to get
an advantage. You don't want to call it a cheat program, but that really is
what it is.

Moose

da leggere,
15 gen 2003, 09:38:1615/01/03
neo...@posixnap.net (neopets @ posixnap) wrote in

> The Neopets staff have paid no attention to their users. If you
> mention the word "paypal" in a neomail, your account is automatically
> frozen, and nobody cares to listen, even if it isn't mentioned and was
> an accident.

how could you ever accidently type in paypal by accident? :P

~*Connie*~

da leggere,
15 gen 2003, 10:47:2615/01/03

"Moose" <Anono...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

maybe he wanted to pay his pal?
:D

neopets @ posixnap

da leggere,
15 gen 2003, 17:47:3415/01/03

What happened was I had a bunch of codestones (over 200) in my shop.
Some nincompoop neomailed me (on christmas eve) and said "hey will you
give me a codestone for 700 bucks?"

I hated getting neomails like that. Whiny beggar losers. So I said
"sure, paypal me $700 <email address>". I was clearly joking. The site
doesn't care, and they dont give a warning, its not listed in the
rules, etc, etc, etc.

I'm rather irritated. It was an honest mistake. They could be
listening to the account if theyre going to automatically freeze
people, but they arent. They don't care. It is all about exploiting
children to make money. That is sick.

neopets @ POSIXNap

neopets @ posixnap

da leggere,
15 gen 2003, 17:49:0915/01/03
"-=^>Prozak<^=-" <pro...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<IlPU9.41$w56....@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>...

> Just out of curiosity how do you use this exactly? Do you need to make the
> program yourself? Sorry im a newbie to this sort of stuff.

Yes, you do need to make the program yourself. This is why it is *not*
providing a cheating program. It is simply libraries. There are perl
tutorials all over the place. A good place to start is here:

http://www.sthomas.net/roberts-perl-tutorial.htm

Enjoy

neopets @ POSIXNap

Moose

da leggere,
16 gen 2003, 17:50:3016/01/03
neo...@posixnap.net (neopets @ posixnap) wrote in

ummmmm when you think of how many hundreds of thousands of people who
have accounts on there.... you think it's unreasonable that they make
some stuff automated? WTF were you doing with 200 codestones anyway..
don't you ever train your pet? :P

Christine O

da leggere,
17 gen 2003, 11:26:0517/01/03
> > The Neopets staff have paid no attention to their users. If you
> > mention the word "paypal" in a neomail, your account is automatically
> > frozen, and nobody cares to listen, even if it isn't mentioned and was
> > an accident.
>
> how could you ever accidently type in paypal by accident? :P

hmm! dunno.

A guild friend sent me a link to a horse pic that she wanted me to
draw. I didn't get around to reading her neomail until after they
banned links in Neomails. Of course the link was gone.

I told her that I had put a link to my site in my userdesc, and she
could email me from there. Lo and behold, there was the warning page
telling me I was using inappropriate language (the word link) :-( It's
so unfair...not everyone is a scam artist or pervert :-(

Best,
Christine

neopets @ posixnap

da leggere,
18 gen 2003, 13:40:4018/01/03
> ummmmm when you think of how many hundreds of thousands of people who
> have accounts on there.... you think it's unreasonable that they make
> some stuff automated? WTF were you doing with 200 codestones anyway..
> don't you ever train your pet? :P

I had a level 38 fire krawk. I trained constantly.

neopets @ POSIXNap

Kyrus

da leggere,
18 gen 2003, 22:20:4018/01/03
How is Neo exploiting children? Kids get to play an interactive game for
free, and Neopets makes money from it. That's the way the world works- you
should be happy Neopets is a free service. And since the service is free,
they reserve the right to ban people at will. We have no rights as far as
our accounts go; they don't even need a reason to freeze. But Neo has a lot
of reasoning behind what they do. They need to be tough to protect the
economy of Neopia and keep the majority of Neopians happy.

By the way, "cheating" can also be described as having an unfair advantage
over others, and that's what programs such as those you described are
designed to do.

"neopets @ posixnap" <neo...@posixnap.net> wrote in message

Luna_K

da leggere,
19 gen 2003, 12:34:4319/01/03
I am not gonna use the program or w/e and I'm not on the side of any kind of
cheating,
but I think that this program has nothing to do with cheating,
as far as I understand, you can use this program or w/e instead of a browser
such as internet explorer,
so you don't have to load all of the graphics and other unnecessary stuff
which with a slow connection takes too much time.
Like that person said:

>This is not a program
to cheat, it is a set of libraries that allow you to operate the site
from a command line interface, or an interface you design.

it just makes getting items and playing the website a lot faster;
it's not a cheating program because it doesn't do anything for you,
you still have to do everything yourself,
it just makes what you do a bit faster.
I think that for people with slow connection, it's the perfect thing.
Now since I have a very fast connection, I just simply don't need the
program or whatever you wanna call it,
although I'm sure I could use it since I know perl script,
I even think I'll take a closer look at it to see what exactly it does.
and my apologies if I am wrong about it,
since I can't say anything for certain,
but if what that person said is true, there's nothing wrong with using it.

~Luna K~
aka
~kitten_28_89_06~

SorrowsDream

da leggere,
21 gen 2003, 22:17:3821/01/03
Hmmmmmm
After reading the whole list I am inclined to agree with Luna.
BTW My name is Morgain, New here, Perl is a programming language so they are
not supplying a cheating program. There are a few things I want to address
involved in this as well, firstly cheating, having an unfair advantage.
Neopets was designed for kids originally, and that's great. I'm not a kid
and I love it. So where do we draw the line on unfair advantage then? Can a
child get up at 2am PST to get items? I can play games all day during my
breaks to get neopoints. There is another advantage GO ME! And hey I have
broadband meaning I can do more in less time, damn I'm smooooth. So what's
cheating then? Get real Every time we as adults log in we are cheating even
teenagers who understand they gaming system better are at an advantage, If
this guy programs something that gives him an edge that's cool, its not like
there is a prize at the end there is no winner, just personal
accomplishment. Please let me know what you think.
Morgain

"Charlie" <g...@lowfidelity.org.ukSPAM> wrote in message

Clotho

da leggere,
22 gen 2003, 02:32:1622/01/03

> Neopets was designed for kids originally,

Hate to burst your bubble, but it was designed for college-goers originally
(18+) thats why some of the first objects were wine (which still exists,
albeit VERY rare) Beer and whatnot.

*Clotho

shell

da leggere,
22 gen 2003, 16:23:2122/01/03
College goers hmm.. now that's why I am soo addicted .. why study when you
can PLAY!! :)
Shell
"Clotho" <clo...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Luna_K

da leggere,
22 gen 2003, 18:02:5422/01/03
> College goers hmm.. now that's why I am soo addicted .. why study when you
> can PLAY!! :)

lol, I prefer playing over studying, too :)

> > > Neopets was designed for kids originally,
> >

> > Hate to burst your bubble, but it was designed for college-goers
> originally
> > (18+) thats why some of the first objects were wine (which still exists,
> > albeit VERY rare) Beer and whatnot.
> >
> > *Clotho

Guess that person didn't know that...

But I have to agree that there are many people having an "unfair advantage"
over others:
the easiest example is cable internet vs dial up connection;
another example would be some of the games like Lenny Conundrum,
who do you think would get the right answer, an 8-year old kid, or a 25-year
old person who finished college?
same with all puzzle games, people who are older have an advantage over the
younger players;
so as you can see from those few examples, everyone has an advantage over
someone else,
but is it cheating to have cable internet or be older than someone else, or
younger for that matter?

~Luna K~

Kyrus

da leggere,
23 gen 2003, 15:05:4923/01/03
Games are meant to be a contest between the people who play them. Some
people complain about how people with faster connections seem to do better,
but nothing can be done about the speed of people's computers.

>BTW My name is Morgain, New here, Perl is a >programming language so they
are
>not supplying a cheating program

All programs are written in a language, and just because the language is
Perl doesn't mean that it's automatically "not cheating".

I really don't care about this issue at this point, since I guess the only
way this would be cheating is by accessing shops faster. People can do that
just by toggling their browser so I'll stop complaining.

"Luna_K" <das...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

Eric Repp

da leggere,
21 set 2016, 01:01:4921/09/16