MK4 on the 64 -- Online Gaming?

Quake Jedi

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

A few days ago, I was playing the Group mode so I could access MEAT. After I
did and then lost to myself in order to watch ol' Scorpy toast the meaty
guy, I was asked to enter my initials since I had a 17 wins in a row streak.
It was late so I just entered some random characters (HBB). Now whenever the
Winning Streaks screen comes up, there's my streak in the number one
position, some other initials, and a consecutive group of initials that form
the following words: "Via the web, yes you can play too." (VIA THE WEB YES
YOU CAN PLA TOO). This was on the Nintendo64 version. Was this intended to
appear only on the PC version (It can be played over the net, right?), and
Eurocom forgot to remove it for the N64 version? Or is this a reminder that
people can play the PC version of MK4 over the net? What do you think?

I'm new to the forum, so flame me if this had already been mentioned here.

-Borikua
-http://www.yourchicago.com/
-http://www.captured.com/flagwars/

|REPTILE|

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:22:57 -0300, "Quake Jedi" <xi...@captured.com>
babbled about:

Well, as far as I know it was in there for no reason. N64 has no
online access yet. the 64DD is said to but I doubt it. The PC
version is not made for net play either. Maybe a Wavenet Mk4?

|REPTILE|
"On the verge of death...Nightmare!"

G0D RULZ U

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

it's been like that since the arcade, maybe it is a sign of wavenet MK4, who
knows

Borikua

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Now hit me for the dumb question, but may I ask, WTF is Wavenet?
-Borikua

|REPTILE|

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 23:01:15 -0300, "Borikua" <xi...@captured.com>
babbled about:

>Now hit me for the dumb question, but may I ask, WTF is Wavenet?
>-Borikua

Its this thingie in Chicago where you can play UMK3(maybe it was MK3
dunno) against people in other parts of Chicago. It was supposed to
be released nation wide but imagion the cost of that...

Jenn Dolari

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98

In article <6ns2lg$559$1...@supernews.com>, "Borikua" <xi...@captured.com> wrote:
>Now hit me for the dumb question, but may I ask, WTF is Wavenet?

Cue Kevin Day. :)

Wavenet is networked arcade games, for tourneys and the like. Chicago is the
only place I knwo that has it, but San Antonio was gonna get it a while ago.
Wonder if they ever did.

Jenn

CHUN LI - SHEEVA - KITANA - SONYA - TANYA - MILEENA - SINDEL - CAMMY
ROSE Strength. Beauty. We have no equal in the kingdom. SAKURA
IBUKI dol...@dragondata.com ELENA
JADE http://www.dragondata.com/~dolari ATHENA
HSIEN KO Not all warriors are called "Sir!" QUEEN BEE
KING - MORRIGAN - FELICIA - LILLITH - BABY BONNIE HOOD - MAI

GrandTrakr

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
WaveNet was here in Chicago.....

First it was just MK3, but then later it was Ultimate MK3....plus you could
access Noob....(he only had his teleport thingy...)

It was pretty cool...you put your coins in, and make a name for yourself...up
to 10 characters....and then it searches for an opponent....

It would say something like...

You are playing
XXXX
at Diversions

Use the red cursor to select your character.

It was cool for awhile....you would see people with win streaks of almost 100
(maybe more...haven't checked recently)

GT

-- Goddess in my garden
Sister in my soul
Angel in my armor
Actress in my role

Daughter of a demon-lover
Empress of the hidden face
Priestess of the pagan mother
Ancient queen of inner space. --

Shinnokxz

Jul 9, 2022, 11:19:52 PM7/9/22
I think Wavenet was incredibly expensive for Midway on a struggling game/franchise (I do believe they were paying for the T1 lines wherever Midway had commissioned it rather than the Arcade owners themselves, Chicago and SF)

The concept was cool but industry shifted to consoles and 3D power. The soonest console to deliver a palpable online gaming experience was the Dreamcast which wasn't anywhere in the realm of offering or using infrastructure needed for an online fighting game. The 64DD was supposed to offer a 'gee-whiz' dial-up sort of offering of basic online services but from what I can recall none of them were heavily game oriented. But of course the 64DD was basically dumped

Hell, online fighting games 24 years later still aren't good and people prefer local gameplay still.

As for why that message was left in MK4 for the N64 I don't think Midway was known to contract the third parties that would offer a completely good port without all the red herrings found in the various releases from the Arcade