Mechwarrior 2 DOS and Mercenaries DOS (Mechnet, Mercnet)

Memnoch

Jun 23, 2009, 8:25:11 PM6/23/09
If anyone wants exact instructions about how to give a pure DOS
machine (not a Windows dos box) IPX connectivity so you can play the
original DOS versions (which frankly play better than all the junk
that came later), I'd be happy to email it to you.

One slight hurdle... my mail server is quite aggressive about
spammers. It graylists, among other things, so if your mail server
doesn't have the etiquette to space delivery tries out and just keeps
trying without pause until it reaches its failure count, you won't get
mail through to me. Nothing I can do for you then, blame the stupid
low IQ spammers and mail server admins who don't have a clue

Be sure to include the exact NIC (network card) make and model in the
email, and if you have the DOS packet driver for it or not.

Memnoch

Jun 24, 2009, 12:59:43 PM6/24/09
On Jun 23, 8:25 pm, Memnoch <j...@pball.com> wrote:
> If anyone wants exact instructions about how to give a pure DOS
> machine (not a Windows dos box) IPX connectivity so you can play the
> original DOS versions (which frankly play better than all the junk
> that came later), I'd be happy to email it to you.

I was going to update this with the text files needed, but I see
sometime in the last week www.kali.net and the kali trackers are gone.
So it is sort of a moot point.

Too bad, dos mechwarrior 2 and dos mecharrior 2 : mercenaries are the
two best games ever sold. I've tried everything since, including
playing an 80 in Uld in wow, and all the c&c versions (c&c tiberium
dawn - dos, 1st release was the best) and on and on, and for me, mw2
is still the best as far as being just plain fun to play.

Wanna build mechs? Yep. Wanna do coop missions? Yep. Wanna solo play?
Yep. Wanna to pvp with a big robot and jump over buildings and see
parts fly off them where the lasers and ppgs hit? Yep. All that. Heh.

YMMV, I just never found anything better.

Memnoch

Jun 28, 2009, 9:36:10 PM6/28/09
Here is the start of how to do dos IPX network....

download kalidos14a (think thats it, its newer than kalidos.exe) from
ftp://ftp.charm.net/pub/kali/

This contains kali dos, which has in with it lsl.com, and odipkt.com,
and startnet.bat and net.cfg wattcp.cfg, all of which you have to
edit.

Startnet.bat will look like this:
lsl
<name of your network card's dos driver> for example - 3C90X
odipkt 0 96

After you run startnet.bat, you can test IPX with nslookup and lookup
something like google.com

Now, net.cfg contains the info which defines how to access your
network card. If you have trouble, post here, I will check from time
to time I suppose. Wattcp.cfg gives your IP address, gateway IP, etc.
If you are using dynamic IP addresses, I think kali.doc explains how
to do it in wattcp.cfg.

In kali.cfg you have to change the master tracker IP to what
tracker.kali.net resolved to in nslookup. Once you do that, you can
type:
kali /a and kali dos will get the list of kali game servers.

Thats pretty much it, once you get that working, you can kali /u to
unload kali, and things like c&c:1 (Tiberium Dawn) will be able to do
peer-to-peer games with someone else who has it. I do this with an old
friend for yucks. We take 30 minutes truce time to build technology
and huge tank (etc.) groups, and then find each other and slug it out.
Fun !

So, if anyone wants to play MW2 or MW2:Mercenaries in DOS and have
someone to play with, get yours working and post here. Ignore the low
IQ spammers, they don't matter.