Marble Madness 2 - Marble Man. Sorry to open old wounds!!

Daniel O'Toole

Jul 29, 2003, 3:19:51 PM7/29/03
I just had a trawl through all the posts on "Marble Man", and it
really does look like we'll never get our hands on this game. Since
there's apparently still the parts around for this game, wouldn't it
be possible to assemble a working MAME ROM without the (non) help of
the guy who has the working machine? Can we track down old/current
Midway staff and test the water? Or, if all else fails, could they
give us some info so a PC rewrite could be made? There must be some
way of doing this. It seems a real pity that this game will just
disappear.

David Jacob

Jul 29, 2003, 4:47:55 PM7/29/03
Post this in the arcade groups as well, you might get better response there

Dave

"Daniel O'Toole" <daniel...@ucd.ie> wrote in message

Sune Mika Salminen

Jul 29, 2003, 4:55:22 PM7/29/03

Don't worry, it won't. The safestuff.com guy has a complete ROM dump, of
course. Rumour has it that he also has a private build of MAME running
the game. And it's by Atari, not Midway.

-Sune

--
Is this a sig or an OE bug?
Replace efternavn with my last name to send mail.

Peale

Jul 29, 2003, 6:19:25 PM7/29/03
"Sune Mika Salminen" <efte...@doktor.dk> scribbled furiously in

> Don't worry, it won't. The safestuff.com guy has a complete ROM dump,
> of course. Rumour has it that he also has a private build of MAME
> running the game. And it's by Atari, not Midway.

Really? This is very interesting news. I'd personally just like to see
this game in action, I wonder if the hype is worth it.

--
MAME - It's what's for dinner!
http://www.tombstones.org.uk - meet the alt.games.mame regulars!

Peale

Jul 29, 2003, 6:22:06 PM7/29/03
"Sune Mika Salminen" <efte...@doktor.dk> scribbled furiously in

> Don't worry, it won't. The safestuff.com guy has a complete ROM dump,

> of course. Rumour has it that he also has a private build of MAME
> running the game. And it's by Atari, not Midway.

Yeah, these screenshots are awful good for being taken with a regular
camera...

http://www.safestuff.com/shots.htm

Roman Scherzer

Jul 29, 2003, 6:43:41 PM7/29/03
> Yeah, these screenshots are awful good for being taken with a regular
> camera...
>
> http://www.safestuff.com/shots.htm

RGB output from the real machine. No emulator.

Sune Mika Salminen

Jul 29, 2003, 7:04:11 PM7/29/03
Peale wrote:
> "Sune Mika Salminen" <efte...@doktor.dk> scribbled furiously in
>
>> Don't worry, it won't. The safestuff.com guy has a complete ROM dump,
>> of course. Rumour has it that he also has a private build of MAME
>> running the game. And it's by Atari, not Midway.
>
> Yeah, these screenshots are awful good for being taken with a regular
> camera...
>
> http://www.safestuff.com/shots.htm

Not to mention that their resolution is exactly 336x240 like Marble
Madness in MAME!
If they had been taken with some kind of video grabber connected to the
Marble Man PCB, they could be any resolution.

K.os

Jul 29, 2003, 7:13:12 PM7/29/03
In a parallel universe, Anti-Sune Mika Salminen said exactly the opposite
of:

[Marble Madness 2 - Marble Man will disappear]

> Don't worry, it won't. The safestuff.com guy has a complete ROM dump, of
> course. Rumour has it that he also has a private build of MAME running
> the game. And it's by Atari, not Midway.

While I hear and understand that, I don't see what good it does the gaming
community. The guy will not release the roms since he is the only one with
them and if he releases them the copyright holder will know that it's him.

So, excuse my rudeness, but what are we waiting for? The copyright holder
to croak? For someone to break in and steal the roms to release them? For
copyright laws to change and allow for the free release of roms to games
that never were actually released?

I'm not saying that any of these things represent an acceptable solution,
but seriously, how does this one guy having the roms to the game and
holding them on penalty of [insert penalty] help anyone?

Maybe I'm looking at this completely the wrong way, but the safestuff guy
holding the game is, to me at least, exactly the same thing as if it was
actually extinct. For all I know he will be buried in it, with the roms in
his pockets.

Sorry for the rant, but this is one of the things that make me blow a
gasket. If everyone had a copy of the Marble Man roms, it wouldn't take
anything away from anyone, except for some *(!&#$ who couldn't say he's the
only one to have a copy of them.

I'll stop now or the next lines will be something like !*#@$(! !(@*&#!&@
"!@&*#*! &#@( and so on.

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage

mcr

Jul 29, 2003, 8:53:53 PM7/29/03
K.os wrote:

K.os's Rant snipped quite a bit!

> Sorry for the rant, but this is one of the things that make me blow a
> gasket. If everyone had a copy of the Marble Man roms, it wouldn't take
> anything away from anyone, except for some *(!&#$ who couldn't say he's the
> only one to have a copy of them.
>
> I'll stop now or the next lines will be something like !*#@$(! !(@*&#!&@
> "!@&*#*! &#@( and so on.
>
> *-) K.os

The most important thing is if you read his 'story', I did once, a while
ago and IIRC he had to show proof to certain people he had a legitimate
claim to copy the ROMs etc.

He is also holding onto to something of quite some value. If in the
future he releases the ROMs, his 'investment' goes down. How many
people would be dreaming over his machine if the ROMs were available on
MAME.DK?

I can see both sides to the arguement, but unless he is giving written
permission to distribute them, then we are stuck. Now if we had
permission to copy them (for example) and he refused, then thats another
situation altogether..

The sad fact is, if it were in MAME, it wouls be in my MAME ROM folder
with the 3000 odd other games, and good as it is, it wouldnt have the
'kudos' that it does now.

Now where is that rafulasiu ROM? ;-)

--
MCR
MAME - History In The Making

SINNER

Jul 29, 2003, 10:00:03 PM7/29/03
mcr Wrote in alt.games.mame, on Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:53:53 +0000 (UTC):
> K.os wrote:

> K.os's Rant snipped quite a bit!

Which I wholeheartedly agree with.

[...]

> He is also holding onto to something of quite some value. If in the
> future he releases the ROMs, his 'investment' goes down. How many
> people would be dreaming over his machine if the ROMs were available on
> MAME.DK?

How is it worth anything? He cant sell it, it will likely be dumped and
put into MAME. Everytime the machine changes hands it brings another
culprit for release into the mix. It only has a 'perceived' value. That
said, any collector would spend the money on the original box even if
the ROM *was* in the wild.

> I can see both sides to the arguement, but unless he is giving written
> permission to distribute them, then we are stuck. Now if we had
> permission to copy them (for example) and he refused, then thats another
> situation altogether..

> The sad fact is, if it were in MAME, it wouls be in my MAME ROM folder
> with the 3000 odd other games, and good as it is, it wouldnt have the
> 'kudos' that it does now.

Not sure I agree with that, looks to be a great title.

> Now where is that rafulasiu ROM? ;-)

Now _this_ one I don't miss ;)

--
David
The Shuttle is now going five times the sound of speed.

SINNER

Jul 29, 2003, 9:59:07 PM7/29/03
Sune Mika Salminen Wrote in alt.games.mame, on Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:04:11 +0200:

>> Yeah, these screenshots are awful good for being taken with a regular
>> camera...

>> http://www.safestuff.com/shots.htm

> Not to mention that their resolution is exactly 336x240 like Marble
> Madness in MAME!
> If they had been taken with some kind of video grabber connected to the
> Marble Man PCB, they could be any resolution.

Excellent catch :)

--
David
Thirteen at a table is unlucky only when the hostess has only twelve chops.

K.os

Jul 29, 2003, 10:09:37 PM7/29/03
In a parallel universe, Anti-mcr said exactly the opposite of:

[snip]

While I do see your point, I can't agree.

Here's why:

If it was I who had the roms for Marble Man, I wouldn't do what he did (and
does).

Instead, you try to find out how much interest there is for Marble Man, and
what could the consequences be should you get sued for releasing the roms.

Unless I'm mistaken, all would be resolved with a fine. A good lawyer is
likely to be able to give you a ballpark on how much you'd be in for.

Set up a fund to cover the maximum fine you could be slapped with, then
release the roms. If you don't get fined for the whole amount, you donate
the rest to the MAME dumping project.

I'm almost certain I'm overlooking something glaring which would explain
why the above can't work but until someone points it out to me, I'll stick
with it. ;-P

David Jacob

Jul 29, 2003, 11:09:37 PM7/29/03
how many of these we made? and you mean to tell me that he is the only one
on the planet who has one!!!

Joao Barata

Jul 29, 2003, 11:37:34 PM7/29/03
"David Jacob" <david...@comcast.net> wrote in

> how many of these we made? and you mean to tell me that he is the only
> one on the planet who has one!!!

I have made none, how many have you?

--
Joao Barata
http://b-tools.hopto.org

Mr T

Jul 30, 2003, 12:37:45 AM7/30/03

> how many of these we made? and you mean to tell me that he is the only

> one on the planet who has one!!!

Only a few, it was a prototype.

--
Mandrake Linux - Friendly Linux operating system for servers and desktop
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/

innocent_lamb

Jul 30, 2003, 12:46:22 AM7/30/03
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 02:09:37 +0000, K.os wrote:

> I'm almost certain I'm overlooking something glaring which would explain
> why the above can't work but until someone points it out to me, I'll stick
> with it. ;-P

The fact that some people wouldn't want to be hauled into court over an
arcade game, perhaps?

Or the fact that the person who released the roms contrary to his
agreements would lose the trust of the people who he dealt with previously?

David Jacob

Jul 30, 2003, 12:50:25 AM7/30/03
well then if he releases the roms no one will know where it came from cause
he is not the only human on the planet with this board. i do know there was
only a few made

Dave

"Mr T" <M...@pity.the.fool.org> wrote in message

innocent_lamb

Jul 30, 2003, 3:33:43 AM7/30/03
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:28:24 -0500, Rutger6559 wrote:

> But what is the fuss all about really?

You know, I agree with the points you made in your post. I really do.

However, you are directing your anger (can't think of a better word though
I'm sure there must be one) in the wrong direction.

Rather than getting upset with the safestuff chap, who is ultimately just
following through on an agreement that he made, you should be getting
after Infogames and making your viewpoints known to them. They are
ultimately the legal owners of the Marble Man romset and they are the ones
who the safestuff chap has dealt with in respect of the romset that he
has acquired.

One lamb's humble opinion.

Mr T

Jul 30, 2003, 4:10:11 AM7/30/03

> well then if he releases the roms no one will know where it came from
> cause he is not the only human on the planet with this board. i do
> know there was only a few made
>
> Dave

Read the story and decide for yourself:

http://www.safestuff.com/mmstory.htm

And know, he isn't the only one with a working board, there is one other
one, and the owner wishes to remain anonymous, and will not sell it at any
price.

Mr T

Jul 30, 2003, 5:40:52 AM7/30/03
Rutger6559 <rutge...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I love this object so much that I want to ensure that it will be lost
> from humanity forever. I wonder if he killed his wife so no one else
> could enjoy her?
>
> Nice logic!

Well he does have the roms dumped and on a PC obviously, I bet he has them
backed up 5 times. ;-)

TriggerFin

Jul 30, 2003, 7:12:21 AM7/30/03
Unable to download all the roms in one big file, SINNER finally had this
to say:

> mcr Wrote in alt.games.mame, on Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:53:53 +0000 (UTC):

>> Now where is that rafulasiu ROM? ;-)

> Now _this_ one I don't miss ;)

RAFLSIAU!!!!!

--
TriggerFin
Category Lists: http://www.mameworld.net/catlist

Daniel O'Toole

Jul 30, 2003, 7:56:13 AM7/30/03
Like I said, this could open a real can o' worms. Anyway, I'm not
really asking for the guy with the working machine to give us the
ROMs. He on some sort of ego trip, so let's forget him. I just think
there must be some way of tracking down those other boards that were
made. Does anybody know (or happen to be!) old Atari staff who might
help? Maybe I should be over in the Arcade group, but I'm only really
interested in playing the game, not having the cabinet in my place!

mcr

Jul 30, 2003, 8:12:08 AM7/30/03

I think its safe to say that if they were available they would have
beemn located or dumped by now. If it does turn up, I would be pleased,
but I am not holding my breath. Could Marble Man be MAME's enigma? :-)

Curtis Hart

Jul 30, 2003, 1:38:32 PM7/30/03

PLEASE read the story behind this at www.safestuff.com

It's NOT an ego trip. He details why he won't release it, and I
personally give kudos for him keeping his word. If you want to be mad
at anyone, try being mad at the guy who made him promise this (But
even HE might have a story why behind it).

If it was an ego trip - he would have the games locked in his basement
where only HE could play it. That's not the case. For the past few
years he has lugged this (and other prototype machines) to the Las
Vegas expo, set it up, and let anyone play it for free. Hardly seems
like a rom-whore to me. And anyone who owns classic games knows with
hardware 15+ years old, even moving a game across a room can possibly
damage the boards.

Yes, not everyone can make it to the expo...but short of going against
his promise this is the best he can do. And he doesn't even have to do
that.

This horse is dead. Please stop beating it.

-Curtis

Andreas Kohlbach

Jul 30, 2003, 1:29:39 PM7/30/03
On 3619 September 1993, triggerfi...@hotmail.cutthis.com wrote:

> Unable to download all the roms in one big file, SINNER finally had this
> to say:
> > mcr Wrote in alt.games.mame, on Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:53:53 +0000 (UTC):
>
> >> Now where is that rafulasiu ROM? ;-)
> > Now _this_ one I don't miss ;)
>
> RAFLSIAU!!!!!

BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY

[...]

By(e) Andreas
Old school arcade classics at http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~ankman/
Proud http://www.mame.dk user #446409

mcr

Jul 30, 2003, 3:11:26 PM7/30/03
Curtis Hart wrote:

Snip

> If it was an ego trip - he would have the games locked in his basement
> where only HE could play it. That's not the case. For the past few
> years he has lugged this (and other prototype machines) to the Las
> Vegas expo, set it up, and let anyone play it for free. Hardly seems
> like a rom-whore to me. And anyone who owns classic games knows with
> hardware 15+ years old, even moving a game across a room can possibly
> damage the boards.
>
> Yes, not everyone can make it to the expo...but short of going against
> his promise this is the best he can do. And he doesn't even have to do
> that.
>
> This horse is dead. Please stop beating it.
>
> -Curtis

I feel empathy for both him and us ROM whores. I agree he isn't the bad
guy in all this and I hope that rumour and inuendo doesnt point the
finger at him.

[ PRoToCoL ]

Jul 30, 2003, 4:15:31 PM7/30/03
On 30 Jul 2003 19:29:39 +0200, Andreas Kohlbach <ank...@email.com>
fell through a hole in the sky, scrambled to their feet and wrote....:

Nice...........
and I just have to quote it all ....as I've lost the snipping scissors

[ PRoToCoL ]

Phil-on-a-hill

Jul 30, 2003, 4:52:06 PM7/30/03

"[ PRoToCoL ]" <prot...@nobloodymail.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 30 Jul 2003 19:29:39 +0200, Andreas Kohlbach <ank...@email.com>
> fell through a hole in the sky, scrambled to their feet and wrote....:
>
> >BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY BOY BUGGY
BOY

Anyone ever played the Spectrum version? It was actualy pretty good.

K.os

Jul 30, 2003, 6:08:56 PM7/30/03
In a parallel universe, Anti-Phil-on-a-hill said exactly the opposite of:

Anyone every played the Amiga version? Incredible is the word I'd use to
describe it.

Sune Mika Salminen

Jul 30, 2003, 6:31:28 PM7/30/03

LMAO

Pretty good, as in the Spectrum version of Powerdrift?!

:-)

K.os

Jul 30, 2003, 6:46:41 PM7/30/03
In a parallel universe, Anti-innocent_lamb said exactly the opposite of:

I'll admit that my response was less than rational, but I was looking for
ways to get the rom released, and I figured the most straightforward way is
to just do it and deal with the consequences.

I'll also admit that I was unfair to the safestuff guy, but it's only
because of my deep-seated instinct to set information free and disperse it.

But still, I find the current state of affairs unsatisfactory to the
utmost.

mcr

Jul 30, 2003, 7:21:48 PM7/30/03

No, but i've seen your post on comp.sys.sinclair...

I love the spectrum, I had.... 16k, 48k and a Spectrum 128K :-)

Joao Barata

Jul 30, 2003, 7:51:02 PM7/30/03

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:10:11 -0500, Mr T <M...@pity.the.fool.org>
> wrote:
>
>>And know, he isn't the only one with a working board, there is one
>>other one, and the owner wishes to remain anonymous, and will not sell
>>it at any price.
>

> I love this object so much that I want to ensure that it will be lost
> from humanity forever. I wonder if he killed his wife so no one else
> could enjoy her?

lol... ever wondered that he might have obtained the board illegally, and
therefore, he may not want to make a fuss out of it ?!?!

Joao Barata

Jul 30, 2003, 7:58:33 PM7/30/03
"[ PRoToCoL ]" <prot...@nobloodymail.co.uk> wrote in

here you go... use mine: 8<

Renegade

Jul 30, 2003, 8:48:07 PM7/30/03

>lol... ever wondered that he might have obtained the board illegally, and
>therefore, he may not want to make a fuss out of it ?!?!

Then he really is no better than the rom whores ;-) LOL!!

Renegade

Phil-on-a-hill

Jul 31, 2003, 5:05:17 AM7/31/03

> > Anyone ever played the Spectrum version? It was actualy pretty good.
>
> LMAO
>
> Pretty good, as in the Spectrum version of Powerdrift?!

No, as in the Spectrum version of Buggy Boy. I've never played Power Drift.

Andreas Kohlbach

Jul 31, 2003, 1:37:00 PM7/31/03
On 3620 September 1993, K. os wrote:

> In a parallel universe, Anti-Phil-on-a-hill said exactly the opposite of:
>

> > "[ PRoToCoL ]" <prot...@nobloodymail.co.uk> wrote in message

> > BOY
> >

> > Anyone ever played the Spectrum version? It was actualy pretty good.
>
> Anyone every played the Amiga version? Incredible is the word I'd use to
> describe it.

I will give it a change. Tomorrow, with a fresh transfer volume. :-)

J.B. Nicholson-Owens

Aug 8, 2003, 6:04:23 AM8/8/03
innocent_lamb wrote:
> Rather than getting upset with the safestuff chap, who is ultimately just
> following through on an agreement that he made, you should be getting
> after Infogames and making your viewpoints known to them.

And, if you're a US citizen, you can help get the Public Domain Enhancement
Act (HR2601) passed into law by contacting your Congressperson. This bill
will help get works into the public domain faster by requring a tax ($1) be
paid to keep them under copyright after 50 years and every decade
thereafter. Works that aren't making money and forgotten works will not be
worth filing the form and paying the tax to keep the work out of the PD. The
bill also mandates a registry so people can look up who holds the copyright
on registered works.

The practical fallout for MAME users: A bunch of MAME ROMs would probably
enter the PD sooner than later if this bill became law. This would
increase the number of ROMs you can legally share and modify.

See http://eldred.cc/ for more info and please don't forget to write an
e-mail to your Congressperson urging them to co-sponsor HR2601.
http://www.house.gov/writerep/ makes it easy to find and contacting your
House rep.

mcr

Aug 8, 2003, 6:49:16 AM8/8/03
J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:

Snipped

> And, if you're a US citizen, you can help get the Public Domain Enhancement
> Act (HR2601) passed into law by contacting your Congressperson. This bill
> will help get works into the public domain faster by requring a tax ($1) be
> paid to keep them under copyright after 50 years and every decade
> thereafter. Works that aren't making money and forgotten works will not be
> worth filing the form and paying the tax to keep the work out of the PD. The
> bill also mandates a registry so people can look up who holds the copyright
> on registered works.

That is some really useful information. Does anyone know if any
modification to copyright law is going through? I know the UK follows
closely with the US, however we don't have the DMCA yet!

J.B. Nicholson-Owens

Aug 8, 2003, 8:34:56 PM8/8/03
mcr wrote:
> Does anyone know if any modification to copyright law is going through?

I can think of two -- one you mention (which I give my two cents on below),
the other is copyright term extension. Sometime before 2018 you'll see the
US try and pass another copyright term extension bill. The Sonny Bono
Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 is the most recent law to do this in
the US.

The pattern is that there will be a copyright term extension just before the
previous one ends. Every time the term of copyright is extended, it is
extended for already published works too. So, by leveraging a US
Constitutional loophole, publishers get the practical benefit of an infinite
copyright term while complying with a strict reading of the US Constitution
which requires a limited term of copyright.

> I know the UK follows closely with the US, however we don't have the DMCA
> yet!

It'll come, if not outright it'll come through some trade treaty. This
needs to be fought too, it's already done a high amount of damage in the US,
just in the anti-circumvention provisions alone. See
http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/20030102_dmca_unintended_consequences.html for
details.

Finally, I'll take this opportunity to mention (but not endorse) that these
issues come up on Lawrence Lessig's blog. Lessig is a copyright lawyer,
author ("Future of Ideas", and "Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace"), and law
professor at Stanford.

Check out http://lessig.org/ for Dennis Kucinich's upcoming session as host
of Lessig's blog. Howard Dean hosted a few weeks ago but it turned out
poorly because Dean didn't participate in a conversation (as blogging
allows) and he didn't appear to know anything about copyright issues. He
said he was willing to learn, but the bloggers got no indication of what he
was learning. Dean repeated stump speech material which barely got into
relevant issues and then Dean didn't respond to people when they submitted
comments and questions. I'm hoping Kucinich will be a more informed and
involved host.

Kucinich is quite progressive on other issues (to the point where the
Democrats could get Green voters to vote Democratic if they give Kucinich
the nod), but I'm not sure what his knowledge/stance is on copyright and
related issues. I'm not promising anything from Kucinich's visit. I don't
work on Dean or Kucinich's campaign and I don't work for Lessig. I'm saying
visiting Lessig's blog in the next week could be worth your while.

Rastus O'Ginga

Aug 8, 2003, 10:24:16 PM8/8/03
On 30 Jul 2003 10:38:32 -0700, curti...@charter.net (Curtis Hart)
wrote:

>PLEASE read the story behind this at www.safestuff.com

Yeah, it's horseshit! If you read his story, you will see that he
only owns COPIES of the ROMs, and was SUPPOSEDLY given permission to
own them to FIX his board. It isn't clear that he had permission to
own the ROMs forever. PLUS, the person giving permission no longer
works for Atari. Hasbro, or whoever could sue him NOW if they wanted
to. They could easily say he no longer, or never did, have proper
permission to permanently own the ROMs.

Plain and simple, he's being a supreme prick about the whole deal. He
obtained the ROMs for short use, stole them for long term use, and is
acting like the kid who owned the kickball.

I'm sure Satan will have fun giving him retribution some day.

Perhaps 2600 could hold a contest to see who could hijack his computer
and get the ROMs off of it. I'm sure they are on an internet connected
machine.

>It's NOT an ego trip. He details why he won't release it, and I
>personally give kudos for him keeping his word.

If this is the only reason, it just means the other 2 folks are
uber-pricks too. There is no proof ANY of them have the ROMs legally.
Even the guy who physically holds them may not have gotten them
legally. You basically have 3 guys that have formed a Marble Man
Tung-teen (sp?).

Fuck 'em all! They deserve every bit of shit thrown their way.
Someone should have paid off a security guy at the Cali show to let
someone come in, crack open the cab, and dump the ROMs. Hell, a
small bribe, 10 minutes, a misdomeaner, and it's all over.

Not that I condone such things.

Rastus O'Ginga

Winner of the 2nd Annual C. Montgomery Burns Award for
Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.

"What an awful dream, 1s and 0s everywhere... I thought I saw a 2." - Bender

ANTI-BED-WETTING-LIBELRAL DISCLAIMER:
The content of this post, and all previous posts made by this user, is 100%
opinion. Any similarity between this post and the truth is purely
coincidental. Anyone who reads this post and draws conclusions about it is
doing so by their choice. How they use those conclusions to direct their
own lives and opinions from that point forward is absolutely a result of
their own cognitive abilities and is in no way related or legally binded to
this poster. NO individual, business entity, or legal authority should use
the content of this post, or any other post by the originator, in whole, or
in part, to assist in making a decision that could affect the lives of any
of the inhabitants of planet Earth, since the content may not be true.

twisty

Aug 9, 2003, 3:49:48 AM8/9/03
While I admire your dedication to the cause, the fact remains
that nothing will ever change as long as society allows its
politicians to be bought & paid for by the rich & powerful who
stand to gain by copyright extensions.

Campaign finance reform is the *real* underlying problem here,
and there's no way in hell the politicians themselves will cut
off the hand that feeds them (as has already been demonstrated).
Nothing short of a revolution will fix it.

--
twist

MameWorld - http://www.mameworld.net/
SmoothMAME - http://www.mameworld.net/smoothmame/
Twisty's MAME Samples - http://www.fraggersxtreme.com/samples/
Twisty's Arcade Hacks -
http://www.mameworld.net/smoothmame/hax.html
My Spam Trap - http://www.mameworld.net/members.html

J.B. Nicholson-Owens

Aug 9, 2003, 4:10:17 AM8/9/03
twisty wrote:
> Campaign finance reform is the *real* underlying problem here,
> and there's no way in hell the politicians themselves will cut
> off the hand that feeds them (as has already been demonstrated).

I concur. This is a very tough issue to get across to a lot of voters
because both major American political parties take corporate cash and set
the limits of allowable debate. Neither of these parties shows any sign of
stopping their dependency on corporate cash. Too few people see how that
shapes policy. You can tell who a candidate's masters will be before they
take office.

One thing you might be interested in is free TV airtime for ballot-qualified
candidates. This doesn't directly help the campaign finance issue, but it
could indirectly help candiates from smaller parties (which are more likely
to take money from individuals, not corporations) get in front of an
audience. Not all parties are interested in corporate campaign cash. But
in district-wide elections (running for the US House, for instance) if one
can't advertise their candidacy, they get few votes. Media buys are the
most expensive part of every campaign I've seen or been involved in.

I have no problem citing campaign finance as the root of many of the US'
most pressing problems. I don't know how to help fix it with a Supreme
Court that calls spending money free speech, but it's important that we try
to get more honorable candidates on the ballot and in front of the public.

Sune Mika Salminen

Aug 9, 2003, 6:47:29 AM8/9/03
Rastus O'Ginga wrote:

Snip

Oh please....It's just a game.
I highly doubt that Hasbro or Infogrames or whoever owns the Atari brand
now owns the rights to MM2, since it was never released. The Safestuff
guy has a personal agreement with (an) ex-atari employee(s) who had/has
the game in his/their possesion (gaahhh what a sentence) and this guy is
obviously going to keep his word. The more talk about stalking him or
hijacking his PC or whatever, the less the chance there is of any of us
ever playing this game in MAME.
The roms have been dumped, the game is safely preserved. Now go play one
of the 3000 games already in MAME and STFU about MM2 already.

mcr

Aug 9, 2003, 6:51:39 AM8/9/03
Sune Mika Salminen wrote:

> Rastus O'Ginga wrote:
>
> Snip
>
> Oh please....It's just a game.
> I highly doubt that Hasbro or Infogrames or whoever owns the Atari brand
> now owns the rights to MM2, since it was never released. The Safestuff
> guy has a personal agreement with (an) ex-atari employee(s) who had/has
> the game in his/their possesion (gaahhh what a sentence) and this guy is
> obviously going to keep his word. The more talk about stalking him or
> hijacking his PC or whatever, the less the chance there is of any of us
> ever playing this game in MAME.
> The roms have been dumped, the game is safely preserved. Now go play one
> of the 3000 games already in MAME and STFU about MM2 already.
>
> -Sune

Well said Sune. I wonder, when this game is released to MAMEDev, how
long will we be playing this game amoungst *all* the 1000's of others.

Sune Mika Salminen

Aug 9, 2003, 7:48:08 AM8/9/03
twisty wrote:
> While I admire your dedication to the cause, the fact remains
> that nothing will ever change as long as society allows its
> politicians to be bought & paid for by the rich & powerful who
> stand to gain by copyright extensions.
>
> Campaign finance reform is the *real* underlying problem here,
> and there's no way in hell the politicians themselves will cut
> off the hand that feeds them (as has already been demonstrated).
> Nothing short of a revolution will fix it.

So.. When do we begin Twisty?

I have a laptop and a cellphone...

:-)

twisty

Aug 9, 2003, 9:01:17 AM8/9/03
"Sune Mika Salminen" <efte...@doktor.dk> who was caught
burning roms on vinyl record, immediately had this to say...

> I have a laptop and a cellphone...
>
>:-)

We need a few good Linux distros and we'll be good to go ;-))

Sune Mika Salminen

Aug 9, 2003, 2:56:11 PM8/9/03

Thanks Mark.
I remember reading on some forum that this guy had been at the tradeshow
and played it, and he said it wasn't exactly the holy grail of
videogames. In fact i think he said it was a pretty bad game!

Jacob Toxwenius

Aug 9, 2003, 4:30:36 PM8/9/03
In article <bh2jnr$can$1...@hercules.btinternet.com>,
mcr <m...@tombstones.org.uk> wrote:

> Well said Sune. I wonder, when this game is released to MAMEDev, how
> long will we be playing this game amoungst *all* the 1000's of others.

Probably as long as many of us have been playing Rafflesia, though that
is not saying much :)

Cheers
TXW

Rastus O'Ginga

Aug 9, 2003, 4:31:40 PM8/9/03
On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 12:47:29 +0200, "Sune Mika Salminen"
<efte...@doktor.dk> wrote:

>Rastus O'Ginga wrote:
>
>Snip
>
>Oh please....It's just a game.
>I highly doubt that Hasbro or Infogrames or whoever owns the Atari brand
>now owns the rights to MM2, since it was never released. The Safestuff
>guy has a personal agreement with (an) ex-atari employee(s) who had/has
>the game in his/their possesion (gaahhh what a sentence) and this guy is
>obviously going to keep his word.

Yep, a word amoungst others that also want to say "nya, nya, nya, you
can't have it."

I still doubt any of them are any more legally positioned to own it
than I am, or anyone reading this.

Joao Barata

Aug 9, 2003, 4:47:52 PM8/9/03
"Sune Mika Salminen" <efte...@doktor.dk> wrote in

prolly a reason it never fully developed... ;)
--
Joao Barata
http://b-tools.hopto.org | http://btools.tk

Joao Barata

Aug 9, 2003, 4:55:36 PM8/9/03
Rastus O'Ginga <ras...@kingwoodXXXXXcable.net> wrote in

> On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 12:47:29 +0200, "Sune Mika Salminen"
> <efte...@doktor.dk> wrote:
>
>>Rastus O'Ginga wrote:
>>
>>Snip
>>
>>Oh please....It's just a game.
>>I highly doubt that Hasbro or Infogrames or whoever owns the Atari
>>brand now owns the rights to MM2, since it was never released. The
>>Safestuff guy has a personal agreement with (an) ex-atari employee(s)
>>who had/has the game in his/their possesion (gaahhh what a sentence)
>>and this guy is obviously going to keep his word.
>
> Yep, a word amoungst others that also want to say "nya, nya, nya, you
> can't have it."
>
> I still doubt any of them are any more legally positioned to own it
> than I am, or anyone reading this.

yea... you're prolly right there ginga (ginga is pt slang for bicicle :p
) but that's not the issue here... or at least not the main issue... i
think most people who like to have that rom are guy's that cannot
understand that a single guy comes out of the blue saying 'oi! i have i,
you don't - nahnahnahnana!'

some think (like me) it would be better preserved beeing distributed
(even not liking the kind of game (like me))

and a very few could't give a damn, because they thinkl 30 rooms covers a
whole 20 years of history!

there's a fourth group of people...

well lemme tell you: all 3 groups of people are right! and ther's nothing
we can do about it... the 4th group has realized it... i will too sooner
or later ;)... perhaps!

Peale

Aug 9, 2003, 5:02:59 PM8/9/03
Rastus O'Ginga <ras...@kingwoodXXXXXcable.net> scribbled furiously in

> Yep, a word amoungst others that also want to say "nya, nya, nya, you
> can't have it."
>
> I still doubt any of them are any more legally positioned to own it
> than I am, or anyone reading this.

Why? They all have the original boards. They don't own the rights,
but...

--
MAME - It's what's for dinner!
http://www.tombstones.org.uk - meet the alt.games.mame regulars!
http://www.pealefamily.net/tech/mame/ - My Own MAME site.

Sune Mika Salminen

Aug 10, 2003, 6:05:55 AM8/10/03
Rastus O'Ginga wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 12:47:29 +0200, "Sune Mika Salminen"
> <efte...@doktor.dk> wrote:
>
>> Rastus O'Ginga wrote:
>>
>> Snip
>>
>> Oh please....It's just a game.
>> I highly doubt that Hasbro or Infogrames or whoever owns the Atari
>> brand now owns the rights to MM2, since it was never released. The
>> Safestuff guy has a personal agreement with (an) ex-atari
>> employee(s) who had/has the game in his/their possesion (gaahhh what
>> a sentence) and this guy is obviously going to keep his word.
>
> Yep, a word amoungst others that also want to say "nya, nya, nya, you
> can't have it."

Well that's your interpretation of the whole thing.
It's their game, they made it or are in some ways responsible for it, so
it's for them to decide what happens to it.
I don't think they walk around wasting their time laughing their heads
off at us poor MAME users who can't play MM2.

> I still doubt any of them are any more legally positioned to own it
> than I am, or anyone reading this.

Legal or not, that's hardly the point. Safestuff.com is keeping a
personal gentlemans agreement, which i believe is the right thing to do.
I respect that.

Mehelpyou

Aug 10, 2003, 10:08:20 AM8/10/03
It's not like their hoarding a cure for cancer. It's only a game and so what?

Rick

pacma...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2019, 10:07:34 PM1/26/19
Damm I wish there was a full gameplay of marble madness 2 marble man I always wanted to hear the the good music and sound effects

Andreas Kohlbach

Jan 27, 2019, 3:02:09 PM1/27/19
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 19:07:33 -0800 (PST), pacma...@gmail.com wrote:

> Damm I wish there was a full gameplay of marble madness 2 marble man I
> always wanted to hear the the good music and sound effects

There is a Youtube video for that.

I didn't know MM2 existed and am disappointed having watched it. Besides
being able to serve two or three players at the same time the music only
changed slightly to the original version. The music blew me away in 1984.
--
Andreas

Ant

Jan 27, 2019, 5:07:39 PM1/27/19
I wished we could get a ROM dump from its real machine!
--
Quote of the Week: "The ant has made him(her!)self illustrious; Through
constant industry industrious.; So what? Would you be calm and placid;

Andreas Kohlbach

Jan 27, 2019, 5:25:57 PM1/27/19
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 16:07:32 -0600, Ant wrote:

> Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 19:07:33 -0800 (PST), pacma...@gmail.com wrote:
>> >
>> > Damm I wish there was a full gameplay of marble madness 2 marble man I
>> > always wanted to hear the the good music and sound effects
>
>> There is a Youtube video for that.
>
>> I didn't know MM2 existed and am disappointed having watched it. Besides
>> being able to serve two or three players at the same time the music only
>> changed slightly to the original version. The music blew me away in 1984.
>
> I wished we could get a ROM dump from its real machine!

I have one for the original 1984 machine at http://www.ankman.de/mame/ .
Not for the Marble Madness 2 though. I never knew about this
follow-up. Seems to be not that important for the gaming history, since
not even Wikipedia has an article about it.
--
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if

mylstarel...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2019, 1:03:07 PM3/29/19
вівторок, 29 липня 2003 р. 22:19:51 UTC+3 користувач Daniel O'Toole написав:
> I just had a trawl through all the posts on "Marble Man", and it
> really does look like we'll never get our hands on this game. Since
> there's apparently still the parts around for this game, wouldn't it
> be possible to assemble a working MAME ROM without the (non) help of
> the guy who has the working machine? Can we track down old/current
> Midway staff and test the water? Or, if all else fails, could they
> give us some info so a PC rewrite could be made? There must be some
> way of doing this. It seems a real pity that this game will just
> disappear.

Hello there & this is my first post, so here we go.

Here looking at the 'new' version of Marble Man: Marble Madness II
Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN31UqW-GHU

Regards,

-Mylstar Electronics

Jonathan Leung

Dec 8, 2021, 12:19:49 PM12/8/21
Hi all,

For what it's worth, a few days ago an anonymous source with access to the ROM sent me directly-ripped screenshot maps of Marble Madness II. You can view them at my site, VGMaps.com: The Video Game Atlas, here:
http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/Arcade/index.htm#MarbleMadnessII

Also, in the forums, we talk a bit more about it. I don't know if much of it is new to you, but here is that topic:
https://www.vgmaps.com/forums/index.php?topic=2109.msg22552#msg22552

Ant

Dec 9, 2021, 5:20:04 AM12/9/21
When will we get in MAME?! ;)
--
2021's last/final mo. Winter is coming, uhh here. More leaks, tasks, people's home moves, spams, sickness, scams, updates, craziness, etc. :(