Is this legal?

Steve

Jan 9, 2004, 6:53:51 AM1/9/04

Bamboozled

Jan 9, 2004, 10:27:23 AM1/9/04
"Steve" <SPIKEY...@YAHOO.COM> wrote in message
news:720393b0.04010...@posting.google.com...
> Is this legal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3167330000&category=19198
&rd=1

What does this have to do with MAME??

Captain Rotundo

Jan 9, 2004, 12:59:35 PM1/9/04
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:53:51 -0800, Steve wrote:

do you think we can get you idiots to stop posting links without
mentioning what the fuck it is? This is usenet, not the world wide web.
This is for posts with content not hyperlinks. Man I am so pissed off
that half the articles I read in this group now are simply links with some
intriging question associated. I DON'T WANT TO OPEN A BROWSER TO READ
USENET.

please stop it.

--
Captain Rotundo - rot-13 to email
Nonsense: http://www.dweasel.com/

MCR

Jan 9, 2004, 1:47:16 PM1/9/04
Captain Rotundo wrote:

Snipped

> do you think we can get you idiots to stop posting links without
> mentioning what the fuck it is? This is usenet, not the world wide web.
> This is for posts with content not hyperlinks. Man I am so pissed off
> that half the articles I read in this group now are simply links with some
> intriging question associated. I DON'T WANT TO OPEN A BROWSER TO READ
> USENET.
>
> please stop it.

http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_2/DyslexiaF/Agreewithpreviousposter.A.html

:-P

--
MCR
MAME - History In The Making

Captain Rotundo

Jan 9, 2004, 3:57:04 PM1/9/04
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:47:16 +0000, MCR wrote:
> Captain Rotundo wrote:
>> do you think we can get you idiots to stop posting links without
>> mentioning what the fuck it is? This is usenet, not the world wide web.
>> This is for posts with content not hyperlinks. Man I am so pissed off
>> that half the articles I read in this group now are simply links with some
>> intriging question associated. I DON'T WANT TO OPEN A BROWSER TO READ
>> USENET.
>>
>> please stop it.
>
> http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_2/DyslexiaF/Agreewithpreviousposter.A.html

other than the "agreed with previous poster" bit what does dyslexia have
o do with this?

oh and BTW your a bastard :)

SINNER

Jan 9, 2004, 4:16:10 PM1/9/04
While strolling through alt.games.mame, Captain Rotundo was
overheard plotting:

> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:47:16 +0000, MCR wrote:
>> Captain Rotundo wrote:
>>> do you think we can get you idiots to stop posting links without
>>> mentioning what the fuck it is? This is usenet, not the world
>>> wide web. This is for posts with content not hyperlinks. Man I
>>> am so pissed off that half the articles I read in this group now
>>> are simply links with some intriging question associated. I
>>> DON'T WANT TO OPEN A BROWSER TO READ USENET.
>>>
>>> please stop it.
>>
>> http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_2/DyslexiaF/Agreewithprevio
>> usposter.A.html
>>

> other than the "agreed with previous poster" bit what does
> dyslexia have o do with this?
>
> oh and BTW your a bastard :)

From the parent you can navigate to here:

http://tinyurl.com/2gfof

--
David

[ PRoToCoL ]

Jan 9, 2004, 4:43:39 PM1/9/04
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:57:04 GMT, Captain Rotundo
<ebg...@qjrnfry.pbz> wrote:

>oh and BTW your a bastard :)

correction.......
you're a bastard ;-)
^^^^^

[ PRoToCoL ]

MCR

Jan 9, 2004, 5:14:17 PM1/9/04
Captain Rotundo wrote:

> other than the "agreed with previous poster" bit what does dyslexia have
> o do with this?

First post on google that matched ;-)

> oh and BTW your a bastard :)

LOL! I knew you'd bite. I am pleased you saw the funny side. I was
actually thinking the same thing when you posted it!

Steve

Jan 9, 2004, 6:20:24 PM1/9/04
Captain Rotundo <ebg...@qjrnfry.pbz> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.01.09....@qjrnfry.pbz>...

> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:53:51 -0800, Steve wrote:
>
> > Is this legal?
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3167330000&category=19198&rd=1
>
> do you think we can get you idiots to stop posting links without
> mentioning what the fuck it is? This is usenet, not the world wide web.
> This is for posts with content not hyperlinks. Man I am so pissed off
> that half the articles I read in this group now are simply links with some
> intriging question associated. I DON'T WANT TO OPEN A BROWSER TO READ
> USENET.
>
> please stop it.

My sincere appologies, I posted the WRONG link... The same seller is
selling Mame roms on DVD..
I simply asked if it was legal for him to do so, I thought maybe
things changed.
I would post the correct link, but apparently it pisses off some
people...

In the past I know we used to post links to auctions like this so
that the group could go after the seller and Ebay to get it removed
because of legality issues..

I am sorry if this is apparently not the case anymore, I have not
visited the group for a while and was not aware about links making
people mad.

I will admit that I was at fault for posting the wrong link and I am
very sorry if I offended anyone, I should have been more careful. I
only meant to do the right thing..

I will certainly refrain from posting any links in the future.

Thanks
Steve

MCR

Jan 9, 2004, 7:40:08 PM1/9/04
Steve wrote:
Snipped

> My sincere appologies, I posted the WRONG link... The same seller is
> selling Mame roms on DVD..
> I simply asked if it was legal for him to do so, I thought maybe
> things changed.
> I would post the correct link, but apparently it pisses off some
> people...

No it doesnt. All you needed to do was to state in the body what the
link was for. For example, a little indication would have probably
averted the moans, and someone would have posted wrong link sooner.

> In the past I know we used to post links to auctions like this so
> that the group could go after the seller and Ebay to get it removed
> because of legality issues..

Some like to do that, I personally keep my nose out of it.

> I am sorry if this is apparently not the case anymore, I have not
> visited the group for a while and was not aware about links making
> people mad.

Some here get mad, others, like me, are mad.

> I will admit that I was at fault for posting the wrong link and I am
> very sorry if I offended anyone, I should have been more careful. I
> only meant to do the right thing..

Its not like it was the end of the world.

> I will certainly refrain from posting any links in the future.

Your call.

> Thanks
> Steve

K.os

Jan 9, 2004, 7:52:01 PM1/9/04
In a parallel universe, Anti-Rutger6559 said exactly the opposite of:

> I vote you keep posting the link, but only if you add a brief but
> informative description of what it points to. Again, just MHO.

I concur.

Even a simple 'I found a moron selling MAME roms on eBay. Here is a link:'
would likely avoid the Captain's Ire.

> As for posting the wrong link, hey, we all make mistakes.

And you shouldn't knock mistakes! A lot of great things were invented by
mistake. Penicillin and LSD, to name two that come to mind.

> MAME ON!

And on and on!

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage

NoRomSmoRoN

Jan 10, 2004, 1:02:07 AM1/10/04
snip

>And you shouldn't knock mistakes! A lot of great things were invented by
>mistake. Penicillin and LSD, to name two that come to mind.
>
>> MAME ON!
>
>And on and on!
>
>*-) K.os

Silly Putty too...

And the slinky...

Almost as important as Penicillin and LSD too. Because.... LSD is no
fun without silly putty and slinkys!

Anti_Freak_Machine

Jan 10, 2004, 1:33:42 AM1/10/04
Steve wrote:

I checked out his other stuff for sale

*****This is a Complete set of 6 MAME Rom DVDs. This is the FULL SET
of the LATEST version of 4705 MAME Roms (.78)! Complete w/ over 2098
Flyers, 1275 Marquees, 2666 Snaps, 962 Cabs, and tons of AVI's and
Icons! Comes on 6 DVDs packed in 6 plastic mini DVD holders.

$42.00

Whats the deal with the AVIs?

--
Mi enano quiere un asno.

'Dungeon' Dave

Jan 10, 2004, 1:32:21 PM1/10/04
... after inserting a credit, Steve <SPIKEY...@YAHOO.COM> leaned
forward and saw...

> My sincere appologies, I posted the WRONG link... The same seller is
>selling Mame roms on DVD..

ie: a scammer.

> I am sorry if this is apparently not the case anymore, I have not
>visited the group for a while and was not aware about links making
>people mad.

As you've probably gathered by now, it's links without explaining their
nature. Many spammers post links under "have you seen this?" and no
other explanation about what the link is for.

The Cap treated it as a "Drink me!" post is all.

> I will certainly refrain from posting any links in the future.

I hope not. Your vigilance is to be applauded; you just need to be aware
that qualifying text explaining the purpose of the link will attract the
attention of those that put scammers out of business, and will also
indicate to ROM-hunters/cab-builders/etc that they needn't visit that
link (and increase the scammer's hit-rate).

Keep up the fight.

--
"And through a fractal on a breaking wall,
I see you my friend, and touch your face again."

K.os

Jan 10, 2004, 2:31:53 PM1/10/04
In a parallel universe, Anti-NoRomSmoRoN said exactly the opposite of:

[stuff discovered by mistake]

> Almost as important as Penicillin and LSD too. Because.... LSD is no
> fun without silly putty and slinkys!

And here I thought it was the other way around! Silly putty, slinkys and
post-its (another great mistake) are always more fun when neurons are
firing in strange and unexpected ways!

Hellmark

Jan 11, 2004, 2:53:46 PM1/11/04
Anti_Freak_Machine <us...@someplace.com>'s last words before the Sword of
Azrial plunged through his body were:

>Whats the deal with the AVIs?

I only know of is Space Ace, Dragon's Lair, etc that use AVI's in their
emulation.

--
Hellmark
-If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit!

SINNER

Jan 11, 2004, 3:39:44 PM1/11/04
* Hellmark Wrote in alt.games.mame, on 2004-01-11:

> Anti_Freak_Machine <us...@someplace.com>'s last words before the Sword of
> Azrial plunged through his body were:
>>Whats the deal with the AVIs?

> I only know of is Space Ace, Dragon's Lair, etc that use AVI's in their
> emulation.

Mpeg actually, AVI's are usually intro movies like the one by Dave
Weidel.
--
David | AGM Favorite Games - http://tinyurl.com/loec
Win98 error 009: Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.

Captain Rotundo

Jan 12, 2004, 12:43:48 PM1/12/04

annoyance #2: correcting english in a forum that is supossedly usable by
non-english speakers. what if english wasn't my first language? Would I
be intimidated by your jingoism? Or would I have to preface every post
with "english isn't my first language so bear with me please"?

- Like how i changed the subject from my poor grammer (blame american
public schools not me) to making him look bad ?

Captain Rotundo

Jan 12, 2004, 12:49:18 PM1/12/04
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:20:24 -0800, Steve wrote:

> My sincere appologies, I posted the WRONG link... The same seller is
> selling Mame roms on DVD..
> I simply asked if it was legal for him to do so, I thought maybe
> things changed.
> I would post the correct link, but apparently it pisses off some
> people...

No the link is fine, I didn't even know it was invalid because I won't
follow a link with out some explaination as to why I should (unless it is
someone I know I can't trust not to waste my time of course, or at least
not waste it in a bad way)

> In the past I know we used to post links to auctions like this so
> that the group could go after the seller and Ebay to get it removed
> because of legality issues..

people still do that, feel free to. just explain what your posting.
no offense but "is this legal?" and a link makes me think I will get some
pseudo-teen porn if I click it.

> I am sorry if this is apparently not the case anymore, I have not
> visited the group for a while and was not aware about links making
> people mad.

I do not report people to ebay myself, but others in this group do. That
is their perogative and I believe they would appreciate your vigilance. so
please continue to post links and whatnot, just explain what it is a link
to.

I am sorry I went off on you, it was just like the tenth link posted like
that I had seen and I finally got annoyed.

MCR

Jan 12, 2004, 2:35:59 PM1/12/04
Captain Rotundo wrote:
Snipped

> annoyance #2: correcting english in a forum that is supossedly usable by
> non-english speakers. what if english wasn't my first language? Would I
> be intimidated by your jingoism? Or would I have to preface every post
> with "english isn't my first language so bear with me please"?
>

> - Like how i changed the subject from my poor grammer (blame american
> public schools not me) to making him look bad ?
>
> :)

Actually if English WASNT your first language you'd probably get the
grammer right. :-P

Anyway, you yanks don't speak English ;-)

(Ducks!)

Sune Mika Salminen

Jan 12, 2004, 3:57:23 PM1/12/04
Captain Rotundo wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:43:39 +0000, [ PRoToCoL ] wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:57:04 GMT, Captain Rotundo
>> <ebg...@qjrnfry.pbz> wrote:
>>

>>> oh and BTW your a bastard :)
>>
>> correction.......
>> you're a bastard ;-)
>> ^^^^^
>
> annoyance #2: correcting english in a forum that is supossedly usable
> by non-english speakers. what if english wasn't my first language?
> Would I be intimidated by your jingoism? Or would I have to preface
> every post with "english isn't my first language so bear with me
> please"?
>

> - Like how i changed the subject from my poor grammer (blame american
> public schools not me) to making him look bad ?

It's "grammar"

:-P

-Sune

--
Is this a new years sig or an OE bug?
Replace efternavn with my last name to send mail.

FSogol

Jan 12, 2004, 4:29:29 PM1/12/04

>>annoyance #2: correcting english in a forum that is supossedly usable
>>by non-english speakers. what if english wasn't my first language?
>>Would I be intimidated by your jingoism? Or would I have to preface
>>every post with "english isn't my first language so bear with me
>>please"?
>>
>>- Like how i changed the subject from my poor grammer (blame american
>>public schools not me) to making him look bad ?
>

> It's "grammar"

As in Grammar and Grandpaw? ;)
--
FSogol

Hellmark

Jan 12, 2004, 5:08:41 PM1/12/04
MCR <m...@tombstonesspamfilter.org.uk>'s last words before the Sword of

Azrial plunged through his body were:
>Anyway, you yanks don't speak English ;-)
>(Ducks!)

*pounds on MCR*
WATCH...WHO...YOU...CALL...YANKS!!!

*goes all Hulk and pounds MCR even more*

Kevin Steele

Jan 12, 2004, 6:07:20 PM1/12/04
MCR thought long and hard, then said...

> Actually if English WASNT your first language you'd probably get the
> grammer right. :-P

Actually, examining your message, apparently you're right!

("WASNT" is actually spelled "wasn't", and "grammer" is spelled
"grammar", even in the UK ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

MCR

Jan 12, 2004, 6:29:55 PM1/12/04
Hellmark wrote:
> MCR <m...@tombstonesspamfilter.org.uk>'s last words before the Sword of
> Azrial plunged through his body were:
>
>>Anyway, you yanks don't speak English ;-)
>>(Ducks!)
>

> *pounds on MCR*
> WATCH...WHO...YOU...CALL...YANKS!!!
>
> *goes all Hulk and pounds MCR even more*

*Ouch!*... Sorry, I shouldnt say Yanks, I should say "Cousins from
across the pond" or Tea dumnpers... ;-)

Hellmark

Jan 12, 2004, 6:42:46 PM1/12/04
MCR <m...@tombstonesspamfilter.org.uk>'s last words before the Sword of
Azrial plunged through his body were:
>Hellmark wrote:
>> MCR <m...@tombstonesspamfilter.org.uk>'s last words before the Sword of
>> Azrial plunged through his body were:
>>>Anyway, you yanks don't speak English ;-)
>>>(Ducks!)
>> *pounds on MCR*
>> WATCH...WHO...YOU...CALL...YANKS!!!
>> *goes all Hulk and pounds MCR even more*
>*Ouch!*... Sorry, I shouldnt say Yanks, I should say "Cousins from
>across the pond" or Tea dumnpers... ;-)

Better

MCR

Jan 12, 2004, 7:08:31 PM1/12/04
Kevin Steele wrote:
> MCR thought long and hard, then said...
>
>>Actually if English WASNT your first language you'd probably get the
>>grammer right. :-P
>

> Actually, examining your message, apparently you're right!
>
> ("WASNT" is actually spelled "wasn't", and "grammer" is spelled
> "grammar", even in the UK ;-)

But I wasn't spelling English, I was spelling American ;-)

Kevin Steele

Jan 12, 2004, 10:43:35 PM1/12/04
MCR thought long and hard, then said...
> Kevin Steele wrote:
> > MCR thought long and hard, then said...
> >
> >>Actually if English WASNT your first language you'd probably get the
> >>grammer right. :-P
> >
> > Actually, examining your message, apparently you're right!
> >
> > ("WASNT" is actually spelled "wasn't", and "grammer" is spelled
> > "grammar", even in the UK ;-)
>
> But I wasn't spelling English, I was spelling American ;-)

Yeah, sure, that had to be it...ain't no way no how you'se gonna get
away with 'dat excuse 'round here. Ya'll just as bad as we are when it
comes to whacky accents and mangled "King's English."

Matt

Jan 13, 2004, 5:47:55 AM1/13/04
so who died and made you overlord of usenet ?? So what if you dont like
links. Other people dont care about having to open a browser !

TriggerFin

Jan 13, 2004, 7:15:03 AM1/13/04
Hellmark <hell...@swbell.FUCKSPAM.net> wrote in

> MCR <m...@tombstonesspamfilter.org.uk>'s last words before the Sword of
> Azrial plunged through his body were:
>>Hellmark wrote:
>>> MCR <m...@tombstonesspamfilter.org.uk>'s last words before the Sword
>>> of Azrial plunged through his body were:
>>> *pounds on MCR*
>>> WATCH...WHO...YOU...CALL...YANKS!!!
>>> *goes all Hulk and pounds MCR even more*
>>*Ouch!*... Sorry, I shouldnt say Yanks, I should say "Cousins from
>>across the pond" or Tea dumnpers... ;-)
>
> Better

Now wait a minute, the tea dumpers were yanks! That was a *Boston* Tea
Party, and they're the very definition of Yankee there!

I'm not going to correct the word "grammar" in Cap's posting (or any of
the others), nor will I question the odd bit of linguistisism that
follows it. I will say that the schools are only as bad as the students
in them. :)

--
TriggerFin
Category Files for MAME games:

TriggerFin

Jan 13, 2004, 7:22:23 AM1/13/04
Kevin Steele <kevste...@DELbigfoot.com> wrote in

> Yeah, sure, that had to be it...ain't no way no how you'se gonna get
> away with 'dat excuse 'round here. Ya'll just as bad as we are when it
> comes to whacky accents and mangled "King's English."

There's been no "King's English" since the last KOE was nailed to his
perch. Actually, it has been shown the the Queen no longer speaks "The
Queen's English," having lapsed somewhat during her, um, reign.

Thanks, though, for continuing the time honored tradition of of of using
bad spelling and/or grammar when correcting someone else's.

TriggerFin

Jan 13, 2004, 7:27:01 AM1/13/04

> perogative

An just to round it all out, "prerogative."

MCR

Jan 13, 2004, 8:30:37 AM1/13/04
Kevin Steele wrote:

> MCR thought long and hard, then said...
>
>>Kevin Steele wrote:
>>
>>>MCR thought long and hard, then said...

>>>Actually, examining your message, apparently you're right!
>>>
>>>("WASNT" is actually spelled "wasn't", and "grammer" is spelled
>>>"grammar", even in the UK ;-)
>>
>>But I wasn't spelling English, I was spelling American ;-)
>

> Yeah, sure, that had to be it...ain't no way no how you'se gonna get
> away with 'dat excuse 'round here. Ya'll just as bad as we are when it
> comes to whacky accents and mangled "King's English."

Now you're talkin' English. I understand da post so much eazier. ;-)

BTW Ol' 'Charlie' isn't top dog yet so it's Queens English', but not as
in 'The Nanny' :-D

SINNER

Jan 13, 2004, 8:39:48 AM1/13/04
* Matt Wrote in alt.games.mame, on 2004-01-13:

> so who died and made you overlord of usenet ?? So what if you dont like
> links. Other people dont care about having to open a browser !

Its called courtesy, did mommy teach you that word?

If your going to post a link on usenet and you actually want people to
look at it you should post a description of what is to be expected so
those that have no interest dont bother launching a browser.

Is it really that much to ask that you had to step out of lurkdom and
bash a regular?

--
David | AGM Favorite Games - http://tinyurl.com/loec

The more things change, the more they'll never be the same again.

Kevin Steele

Jan 13, 2004, 10:03:25 AM1/13/04
MCR thought long and hard, then said...
> Kevin Steele wrote:
>
> > Yeah, sure, that had to be it...ain't no way no how you'se gonna get
> > away with 'dat excuse 'round here. Ya'll just as bad as we are when it
> > comes to whacky accents and mangled "King's English."
>
> Now you're talkin' English. I understand da post so much eazier. ;-)
>
> BTW Ol' 'Charlie' isn't top dog yet so it's Queens English', but not as
> in 'The Nanny' :-D

That was my point - British English has mutated just as much as American
English has from their common "point of origin." ;-)

I love how words change and evolve - just like how "awful" used to be
"awe-full," as in full of awe (a good thing). I'm glad that English is
such a versatile, growing language, and that the dictionary add hundreds
of new words every year. Cool stuff, at least for a writer.

Kevin Steele

Jan 13, 2004, 10:06:56 AM1/13/04
TriggerFin thought long and hard, then said...

> Kevin Steele <kevste...@DELbigfoot.com> wrote in
>
> Thanks, though, for continuing the time honored tradition of of of using
> bad spelling and/or grammar when correcting someone else's.

"of of of"?

It's that "irony" thing again, isn't it? ;-)

Sune Mika Salminen

Jan 13, 2004, 10:34:01 AM1/13/04

*lol*