Help- 486 MAME which OS?

1 view

Colin

Nov 10, 2003, 8:06:12 PM11/10/03
I am going to try to get an old 486 to fire up with MAME. I only want
MS. Pacman, Donkey Kong, and the like to work. I don't expect Mortal
Kombat. Should I use Linux? DOS? If DOS MS or DR? WIN 95?

Some details are;
486dx2 66
Vibra 16 Sound
Cirrus Logic GD54xx video

Thanks in Advance

K.os

Nov 10, 2003, 8:43:50 PM11/10/03
In a parallel universe, Anti-Colin said exactly the opposite of:

[snip]

Your needs and setup scream out VAntAGE!

http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/vantage.html

VAntAGE is for older computers and although I have never used it myself,
many have reported success here.

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage

SINNER

Nov 10, 2003, 8:49:37 PM11/10/03
* Colin Wrote in alt.games.mame, on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:06:12 -0600:

I would say DOS.

MS if you have it but FREEDOS might be up to it.
--
David | AGM Favorite Games - http://tinyurl.com/loec

Erik's Boot Disk

Nov 10, 2003, 9:25:02 PM11/10/03
SINNER wrote:
> * Colin Wrote in alt.games.mame, on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:06:12 -0600:
>
>>I am going to try to get an old 486 to fire up with MAME. I only want
>>MS. Pacman, Donkey Kong, and the like to work. I don't expect Mortal
>>Kombat. Should I use Linux? DOS? If DOS MS or DR? WIN 95?
>

>>Some details are;
>>486dx2 66
>>Vibra 16 Sound
>>Cirrus Logic GD54xx video
>

> I would say DOS.
>
> MS if you have it but FREEDOS might be up to it.

nope, mame dont work right on freedos. (as of last test, .72)

SINNER

Nov 10, 2003, 10:09:35 PM11/10/03
* Erik's Boot Disk Wrote in alt.games.mame, on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:25:02 -0500:

>> I would say DOS.

According to the Freedos website, the Hanaho ArcadePC uses Freedos.

What dosent run?

--
David | AGM Favorite Games - http://tinyurl.com/loec

It is your concern when your neighbor's wall is on fire.
-- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

Alex Devlin

Nov 10, 2003, 10:14:33 PM11/10/03
On 10 Nov 2003, K.os wrote:

> In a parallel universe, Anti-Colin said exactly the opposite of:
>
> [snip]
>
> Your needs and setup scream out VAntAGE!
>
> http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/vantage.html
>
> VAntAGE is for older computers and although I have never used it myself,
> many have reported success here.
>
> *-) K.os

Any chance someone could post the games supported by VAntAGE
(http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/vantage.html) into a binary group?

This might work on my (s)lowly laptop and I don't want to tie up someones
FTP service getting a few roms and whatever parents (if any) are needed.

--
Alex Devlin
The Ham & Scanner Enthusiast Forum - http://tinyurl.com/qvl7

Erik's Boot Disk

Nov 10, 2003, 11:03:49 PM11/10/03
SINNER wrote:
> * Erik's Boot Disk Wrote in alt.games.mame, on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:25:02 -0500:
>
>>SINNER wrote:

>>>I would say DOS.
>

>>>MS if you have it but FREEDOS might be up to it.
>

>>nope, mame dont work right on freedos. (as of last test, .72)
>

> According to the Freedos website, the Hanaho ArcadePC uses Freedos.
>
> What dosent run?

oh, sorry, wasnt thinking. vantage wont run on freedos. i wouldhave used
it for my bootdisk but it dont work.

KwangHo, Yun

Nov 10, 2003, 11:32:41 PM11/10/03
I think Dos is the best os for game.....

"Colin" <colinNO...@charter.net> wrote in message

twisty

Nov 11, 2003, 9:08:25 AM11/11/03
Colin <colinNO...@charter.net> who was caught burning
roms on vinyl record, immediately had this to say...

> I am going to try to get an old 486 to fire up with MAME.

(copy/paste)

Go with the Vantage emulator instead :) It should run all games
it supports at full-speed on your machine...

http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/vantage.html

Samples for it can be found here (the galaga one is missing, so
just use mame's sample for it)...

http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/downsamp.html

Roms for it can be found here...

http://www.geocities.com/apeale69/vantage/

--
twist

MameWorld - http://www.mameworld.net/
SmoothMAME - http://www.mameworld.net/smoothmame/
Twisty's MAME Samples - http://www.fraggersxtreme.com/samples/
Twisty's Arcade Hacks -
http://www.mameworld.net/smoothmame/hax.html
My Spam Trap - http://www.mameworld.net/members.html

Peale

Nov 11, 2003, 9:12:45 AM11/11/03
Alex Devlin wrote:

> Any chance someone could post the games supported by VAntAGE
> (http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/vantage.html) into a binary group?
>
> This might work on my (s)lowly laptop and I don't want to tie up someones
> FTP service getting a few roms and whatever parents (if any) are needed.

http://www.geocitites.com/apeale69/vantage/

Alex Devlin

Nov 11, 2003, 9:27:34 AM11/11/03
On 11 Nov 2003, Peale wrote: