Never-ending mission?

Deirdre

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

I got the mission to defend the Darven system from Pirates.

It doesn't matter how many I shoot or how long they're gone, this mission
is never "finished." Is there some # of pirates I have to blow up? Is
there some secret to completing this I don't know about?

Also, I have this mission from Diphidia II about blowing up the Astex bulk
freighter (that was polluting) but the Confed gunboats & stuff eat me
alive. Any suggestions?

_Deirdre

--
http://www.sover.net/~deirdre

alex c. lau

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

In article <deirdre-1208...@pm0a23.new.sover.net>,

Deirdre <dei...@sover.net> wrote:
>I got the mission to defend the Darven system from Pirates.
>
>It doesn't matter how many I shoot or how long they're gone, this mission
>is never "finished." Is there some # of pirates I have to blow up? Is
>there some secret to completing this I don't know about?

You have to blow 'em up, not just chase them away. If one warps out of
the system (gets away), then you just have to reload and wait for the next
batch.

>Also, I have this mission from Diphidia II about blowing up the Astex bulk
>freighter (that was polluting) but the Confed gunboats & stuff eat me
>alive. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest waiting until you have at least a well-stocked Corvette before
taking this one on...
--
--- Alex "That's so crazy... it just might work!" Lau

Darin Takemoto

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

dei...@sover.net (Deirdre) wrote:

> I got the mission to defend the Darven system from Pirates.
>
> It doesn't matter how many I shoot or how long they're gone, this mission
> is never "finished." Is there some # of pirates I have to blow up? Is
> there some secret to completing this I don't know about?

Depending on the wording of the mission, you might have to destroy all
of the pirates. This means that if any hyperjump out, the mission is
considered a failure and you have to try again. Also, you must destroy
all of the pirate ships; disabling is not good enough (I was stymied by
this one once).

> Also, I have this mission from Diphidia II about blowing up the Astex bulk
> freighter (that was polluting) but the Confed gunboats & stuff eat me
> alive. Any suggestions?

A fast ship with an afterburner is useful for the Diphidia missions. If
you have that, disable the freighter quickly, then run to the outer edges
of the system, using afterburners and decoy flares if necessary. If the
Astex/Confed ships are of the faster types (Gunboats/Patrol Ships) they
will follow you. Loop around and back to the freighter. The pursuing
ships will stupidly try to follow your track instead of trying to
intercept you on the way in. This should give you time to collect the
ore samples and land on Diphidia II. If the Confed ships in the system
include a slow ship, such as a frigate, this will not work. In that case,
forget about destroying the freighter, land and try again.

> _Deirdre
>
> --
> http://www.sover.net/~deirdre

Darin Takemoto
take...@xtal0.harvard.edu

Charles Pitts

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

alex c. lau wrote:
> >Also, I have this mission from Diphidia II about blowing up the Astex bulk
> >freighter (that was polluting) but the Confed gunboats & stuff eat me
> >alive. Any suggestions?
>
> I'd suggest waiting until you have at least a well-stocked Corvette before
> taking this one on...

While I would still recommend a Corvette, it can be done by an experienced player
in an Argosy, Clipper, or even a Scoutship. I haven't tried a shuttle yet, but I
suspect it is too weakly armed to destroy all the bulk freighters when you are
"sending a message" to Astex.

Deirdre

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

Well, I'm in a Kestrel (sans the lightnings). Even with a Forklift going,
it seems to have trouble. The afterburner helped, but now the mission
seems stuck -- I got all the freighters and no more show, but the mission
doesn't show as being completed?

Oh, and why does the Forklift sometimes disappear in the middle of a
battle? I hit shift and nothing. If I cycle through my weapons, it's not
there. I don't use it often, but for those situations when nothing else is
as efficient.... ::sigh::

_Deirdre

In article <321123...@earthlink.net>, Charles Pitts
<char...@earthlink.net> wrote:

--
http://www.sover.net/~deirdre

Your Name

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

>I got the mission to defend the Darven system from Pirates.
>
>It doesn't matter how many I shoot or how long they're gone, this mission
>is never "finished." Is there some # of pirates I have to blow up? Is
>there some secret to completing this I don't know about?
>
>Also, I have this mission from Diphidia II about blowing up the Astex
bulk
>freighter (that was polluting) but the Confed gunboats & stuff eat me
>alive. Any suggestions?

Yeah, death to the confederation tyrants. Actually, another such problem
occurs if you try to demand tribute from Ruby: they never run out of
planetary defense ships. However, after I gave up and bagged out of this
one, I found that Ruby had elevated my status to "pillar of society". Go
figure. My advice: bag the mission and move on.

Why does everyone on this newsgroup work for the confederation, anyway?
Doesn't anyone have a heart for the poor rebels?

Dave

Deirdre

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

In article <1996Aug14.2...@rti.rti.org>, Your...@somwhere.COM
(Your Name) wrote:

> Why does everyone on this newsgroup work for the confederation, anyway?
> Doesn't anyone have a heart for the poor rebels?

I'm on the rebel side!

Oh, and the solution to my never-ending mission was that I had to abort
and restart the mission. The freighters stopped coming, but it still
wouldn't show as having been complete.

_Deirdre

--
http://www.sover.net/~deirdre

Taddeo Costanzo

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

(Your Name) wrote:

> Why does everyone on this newsgroup work for the confederation, anyway?
> Doesn't anyone have a heart for the poor rebels?

I work for the Rebels, although recently started a Confed pilot out of
curiosity. A somewhat interesting, although irrelevant observation that
might have already come up on this group: most Rebel operatives (spies,
assasination dispatchers, etc, Admiral Davies being a noteworthy
exception) are female, whereas their Confederate equivalents (so far) are
male. I wonder what, if anything, Matt Burch tried to convey by that.

Taddeo

Charles Pitts

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

Deirdre wrote:

> Well, I'm in a Kestrel (sans the lightnings). Even with a Forklift going,
> it seems to have trouble. The afterburner helped, but now the mission
> seems stuck -- I got all the freighters and no more show, but the mission
> doesn't show as being completed?

Since you said you did the one thing I could suggest in a more recent post, I can't
offer you any advice, except keep returning to Diphidia, and look for the mission to
reappear.

> Oh, and why does the Forklift sometimes disappear in the middle of a
> battle? I hit shift and nothing. If I cycle through my weapons, it's not
> there. I don't use it often, but for those situations when nothing else is
> as efficient.... ::sigh::

There's a bug in the EV Data. The Forklift's outfitting resource is incorrect, which,
when you go to the outfitter, causes EV to remove the Forklift.

Peter Cartwright

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

(Your Name) wrote:

> >I got the mission to defend the Darven system from Pirates.
> >
> >It doesn't matter how many I shoot or how long they're gone, this mission
> >is never "finished." Is there some # of pirates I have to blow up? Is
> >there some secret to completing this I don't know about?
> >
> >Also, I have this mission from Diphidia II about blowing up the Astex
> bulk
> >freighter (that was polluting) but the Confed gunboats & stuff eat me
> >alive. Any suggestions?
> >
> Yeah, death to the confederation tyrants. Actually, another such problem
> occurs if you try to demand tribute from Ruby: they never run out of
> planetary defense ships. However, after I gave up and bagged out of this
> one, I found that Ruby had elevated my status to "pillar of society". Go
> figure. My advice: bag the mission and move on.
>

> Why does everyone on this newsgroup work for the confederation, anyway?
> Doesn't anyone have a heart for the poor rebels?

Believe me they almost all used to be Rebels (I polled them). Now they're
all greedy and want to get to do the rest of the missions.

Your Name

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Nice to see Deirdre and Charles Pitts have joined forces against the
Confederation. Perhaps they can help me with a small problem. I've got
all the Confederation systems in tribute to me except Sol. I've captured
2 Confederation frigates and hired 4 kestrels to go along with my kestrel
and then I tried to sack Earth. No luck, they just had too many cruisers
for me. Question is, is capturing one of those sweet alien battle
cruisers my only hope? Is there any hope in that, even? Where can I buy
an alien battle cruiser (without cheating)?

Dave

Steve Gordon

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

Without plugins, it is impossible to capture alien fighters/cruisers,
because they have no armor... the second you breach their shields, they
explode.

...Steve

John Michael Sauder

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

In article <1996Aug15.2...@rti.rti.org>,

Your Name <Your...@somwhere.COM> wrote:
>Question is, is capturing one of those sweet alien battle
>cruisers my only hope? Is there any hope in that, even? Where can I buy
>an alien battle cruiser (without cheating)?
>Dave
Can't. If you're going to get an alien fighter or cruiser, you
have to cheat. At one of the EV web sites you can get a pilot file for
the alien ships (I haven't heard whether or not they work Ok with the
newest version(s) of EV...) And if you don't want to bore yourself to
death, I'd recommend getting the forklift plugin to take out the Confed
Cruisers. Of course, you'll still bore yourself to tears...
--

-- Mike S. (M_Sa...@fccc.edu)
www.fccc.edu/research/labs/roder/mike/

Capt. Martin Quicksilver

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

> In article <4v2dcd$6...@taurus.fccc.edu>, sau...@algol.rm.fccc.edu (John
> Michael Sauder) wrote:
> The only way to take earth and retain your sanity is to hack into EV's
> data file with something like EV-Edit and tinker with the resource
> controlling how many ships are defending the planet.
Urk. Apologies, all. I didn't snip everything out completely.

about planets looking at your escort ships as part of their evaluation of
you-- I haven't noticed.. I found one system (deneb maybe?) it was one
jump path towards the galactic core from cydonia, etc.) where there almost
always seemed to be a rebel destroyer and confed frigate battling it out..
interestingly enough it seems that when those two ships go head to head,
they often mutually disable eachother. Perfect for boarding attempts :) I
didn't want to piss off the rebels so i usually went for the confed ship..
I eventually managed to capture a frigate and a destroyer.. luckily for me
my rebel employers seemed not to notice, being so far away. (I would have
returned the crew home, really I would have.) By this point the Deneb
gov't was a little ticked off at me, so I bought a fake id, and since then
haven't had a problem with either the Rebel or Confederate governments.
Well, no problems related to the ships in my fleet at least.. planetary
domination's another matter.

Capt. Martin Quicksilver

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

Markus Imhof

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

In article <1996Aug15.2...@rti.rti.org>, Your...@somwhere.COM
(Your Name) wrote:

> for me. Question is, is capturing one of those sweet alien battle

> cruisers my only hope? Is there any hope in that, even? Where can I buy
> an alien battle cruiser (without cheating)?

Well, I can't comment on earth (yet :-))), but your only way to get an
alien battleship would be a plugin. (Spoiler follows)

I'm currently playing with the Williams plugin, and after performing a set
of missions, you are granted access to (another) alien's shipyard. Two
ships and two weapons - and the freighter makes an excellent cruiser, if
you can afford it (20 Megs - cheap at that power) and don't mind not
having any fighter bays.

Bye
Markus

David J Richardson

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

(Your Name) wrote:

> I've captured
> 2 Confederation frigates

Quick question: do other ships look at your escorts to judge you? ie. will
my rebel friends think i'm a baddy if i capture confed ships?

David "Lord" J Richardson can be found at bo...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
Doctor Who Club of Victoria at http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~borad/
"Put it on him, Grace. I'm sure you know how." - DW: Enemy Within

Thunderbolt

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

David J Richardson wrote:

> Quick question: do other ships look at your escorts to judge you? ie. will
> my rebel friends think i'm a baddy if i capture confed ships?

Nope. Use their own ships against them!

Confed frigate vs My confed Frigate escort and my Kestral = Smoked
Confed =)

-Thunderbolt

Charles Pitts

Aug 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/17/96

Your Name wrote:

> Nice to see Deirdre and Charles Pitts have joined forces against the
> Confederation. Perhaps they can help me with a small problem. I've got
> all the Confederation systems in tribute to me except Sol. I've captured

> 2 Confederation frigates and hired 4 kestrels to go along with my kestrel
> and then I tried to sack Earth. No luck, they just had too many cruisers
> for me. Question is, is capturing one of those sweet alien battle
> cruisers my only hope? Is there any hope in that, even? Where can I buy
> an alien battle cruiser (without cheating)?
>
> Dave

There are 2276 defense ships on every planet in the Sol system. As has been
said before, you can't capture Alien ships, but there are numerous plug-ins
that allow you to buy them, and even more powerful ships. I've tried conquering
Earth in the Alien Cruiser, and it is possible, if you have five hours you just
want to waste (which I didn't).

Henry Kwan

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

In article <1996Aug15.2...@rti.rti.org>,

Your Name <Your...@somwhere.COM> wrote:
>Nice to see Deirdre and Charles Pitts have joined forces against the
>Confederation. Perhaps they can help me with a small problem. I've got
>all the Confederation systems in tribute to me except Sol. I've captured
>2 Confederation frigates and hired 4 kestrels to go along with my kestrel
>and then I tried to sack Earth. No luck, they just had too many cruisers
>for me. Question is, is capturing one of those sweet alien battle
>cruisers my only hope? Is there any hope in that, even? Where can I buy
>an alien battle cruiser (without cheating)?
>
>Dave

How long did it take to conquer Ruby? I tried one time and erased some
1250 ships but then the Great Western PowerOutage recently took my machine
down with it and I never got to find out how many it would have taken.
I've given up on Ruby and am working on Landfall. Up to 47 frigates
destroyed but no end in sight there either.

Anybody got a guide on how many ships are defending each system?

--
Henry Kwan | FWB, Inc. | Voice: 415-325-4FWB
HW Engineering | 1555 Adams Drive | FaxBack: 415-833-4683

Ethan Schwartz

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

In article <4v92g0$9...@shellx.best.com>, Henry Kwan <lo...@best.com> wrote:
>How long did it take to conquer Ruby? I tried one time and erased some
>1250 ships but then the Great Western PowerOutage recently took my machine
>down with it and I never got to find out how many it would have taken.
>I've given up on Ruby and am working on Landfall. Up to 47 frigates
>destroyed but no end in sight there either.
>
>Anybody got a guide on how many ships are defending each system?

Download the EV Bible, and install the ResEdit (or Resourcer, if
that's your thing) plugins. You DO know how to use resedit, don't
you? The text of the EV Bible will tell you how to find and interpret
the teachings of Matt Burch.......errrrr....the resources of the EV
Data file.
Anyway, Landfall has 100 frigates. Not only that, but it only gets
you 4000 credits/day for your trouble. I recommend bombing the
planet. Anyone know how many ships Sirgil Starport has? I think it's
supposed to be 100, but it may be 1000. :-(
--
Ethan H. Schwartz
esch...@nyx.net

Dan Pritts

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

Ethan Schwartz <esch...@nyx.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>Anyway, Landfall has 100 frigates. Not only that, but it only gets
>you 4000 credits/day for your trouble. I recommend bombing the
>planet. Anyone know how many ships Sirgil Starport has? I think it's

"bombing the planet"? You mean mine it with space bombs from hell
before you call out the cavalry against you? Or is there some way you
can actually do orbital bombardment?

danno

--
dan pritts ITD/LSA Partnership Unix Support dan.p...@umich.edu

avez...@mail.idt.net

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

(Your Name) wrote:

> Nice to see Deirdre and Charles Pitts have joined forces against the
> Confederation. Perhaps they can help me with a small problem. I've got
> all the Confederation systems in tribute to me except Sol. I've captured
> 2 Confederation frigates and hired 4 kestrels to go along with my kestrel
> and then I tried to sack Earth. No luck, they just had too many cruisers
> for me. Question is, is capturing one of those sweet alien battle
> cruisers my only hope? Is there any hope in that, even? Where can I buy
> an alien battle cruiser (without cheating)?
>
> Dave

'
THeRE IS A PLUG-IN on AMERICA ONLINE (If you look hard enough) that brings
out ALLLLLLL of the cruisers out ALLLL at once so you can destroy them
without waiting

QUestions, comments

Email me at

avez...@ally.ios.com

Peter Cartwright

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

In article <avezir19-200...@ppp447.liberty.com>,
avez...@mail.idt.net wrote:

> 'In article <1996Aug15.2...@rti.rti.org>, Your...@somwhere.COM
> (Your Name) wrote:
>
> > Nice to see Deirdre and Charles Pitts have joined forces against the
> > Confederation. Perhaps they can help me with a small problem. I've got
> > all the Confederation systems in tribute to me except Sol. I've captured
> > 2 Confederation frigates and hired 4 kestrels to go along with my kestrel
> > and then I tried to sack Earth. No luck, they just had too many cruisers
> > for me. Question is, is capturing one of those sweet alien battle
> > cruisers my only hope? Is there any hope in that, even? Where can I buy
> > an alien battle cruiser (without cheating)?
>

> THeRE IS A PLUG-IN on AMERICA ONLINE (If you look hard enough) that brings
> out ALLLLLLL of the cruisers out ALLLL at once so you can destroy them
> without waiting

Bringing all of about 3000 frigates out at once would cause EV a few
problems; seeing as how the maximum number of ships that EV can cope with
in a system at one time is 36 (which is why the wave defence system has to
be used). More likely this plug-in reduces the number of defending ships,
or makes waves larger.

Paul R. Piotrowski

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Peter Cartwright (Pe...@cartwrig.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <avezir19-200...@ppp447.liberty.com>,
: avez...@mail.idt.net wrote:
:
: >
: > THeRE IS A PLUG-IN on AMERICA ONLINE (If you look hard enough) that brings

: > out ALLLLLLL of the cruisers out ALLLL at once so you can destroy them
: > without waiting
:
: Bringing all of about 3000 frigates out at once would cause EV a few
: problems; seeing as how the maximum number of ships that EV can cope with
: in a system at one time is 36 (which is why the wave defence system has to
: be used). More likely this plug-in reduces the number of defending ships,
: or makes waves larger.

Now, supposing I had 6 rebel cruiser escorts, each with 4 mantas, and I had
the same with a hawk bay, that means I could put 38 ships on the screen all
by my lonesome without any plug-ins, etc. What happens?

Paul

Inkblot

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <Peter-21089...@cartwrig.demon.co.uk>,
Pe...@cartwrig.demon.co.uk (Peter Cartwright) wrote:

> In article <avezir19-200...@ppp447.liberty.com>,
> avez...@mail.idt.net wrote:
>

> > THeRE IS A PLUG-IN on AMERICA ONLINE (If you look hard enough) that brings
> > out ALLLLLLL of the cruisers out ALLLL at once so you can destroy them
> > without waiting
>
> Bringing all of about 3000 frigates out at once would cause EV a few
> problems; seeing as how the maximum number of ships that EV can cope with
> in a system at one time is 36 (which is why the wave defence system has to
> be used). More likely this plug-in reduces the number of defending ships,
> or makes waves larger.

You wouldn't want to be hit by the first missile salvo if it was the case :-)

--

€WARNING€ NO JUNK MAIL

Charles Pitts

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

Paul R. Piotrowski wrote:
> Now, supposing I had 6 rebel cruiser escorts, each with 4 mantas, and I had
> the same with a hawk bay, that means I could put 38 ships on the screen all
> by my lonesome without any plug-ins, etc. What happens?

I did this with the gundrones plug. Fighters launched after EV reaches its limit simply
disappear.

Peter Cartwright

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <4vfhfc$1...@disney.ucc>, pio...@mtu.edu (Paul R. Piotrowski) wrote:

> Peter Cartwright (Pe...@cartwrig.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> : In article <avezir19-200...@ppp447.liberty.com>,
> : avez...@mail.idt.net wrote:
> :
> : >
> : > THeRE IS A PLUG-IN on AMERICA ONLINE (If you look hard enough) that brings
> : > out ALLLLLLL of the cruisers out ALLLL at once so you can destroy them
> : > without waiting
> :
> : Bringing all of about 3000 frigates out at once would cause EV a few
> : problems; seeing as how the maximum number of ships that EV can cope with
> : in a system at one time is 36 (which is why the wave defence system has to
> : be used). More likely this plug-in reduces the number of defending ships,
> : or makes waves larger.
>

> Now, supposing I had 6 rebel cruiser escorts, each with 4 mantas, and I had
> the same with a hawk bay, that means I could put 38 ships on the screen all
> by my lonesome without any plug-ins, etc. What happens?

Try it and find out. I have a suspicion they simply won't appear on the
screen. I seem to remember this happening to me with number of shots on
the screen when I was playing about with rates of fire.

Hound of Cullen

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <Peter-22089...@cartwrig.demon.co.uk>,
Pe...@cartwrig.demon.co.uk (Peter Cartwright) wrote:

:In article <4vfhfc$1...@disney.ucc>, pio...@mtu.edu (Paul R. Piotrowski) wrote:
:
[snip]
:> Now, supposing I had 6 rebel cruiser escorts, each with 4 mantas, and I had

:> the same with a hawk bay, that means I could put 38 ships on the screen all
:> by my lonesome without any plug-ins, etc. What happens?
:
:Try it and find out. I have a suspicion they simply won't appear on the
:screen. I seem to remember this happening to me with number of shots on
:the screen when I was playing about with rates of fire.

Nope, the rebel cruiser escorts simply won't release their fighters. NOTE:
Spoiler follows about a particualr mission... avert your eyes...

In the last of the Lucas missions, when you go to destroy the Pirate
fleet, the Pirate Kestrels release their lightnings in waves. As you kill
off some of the lighnings, you'll hear the Kestrels release more, until
all of their fighter bays have been emptied. I suspect the same mechanism
would work for your rebel escorts.

Hound

--
Monster Gredel's tastes are plainish
Breakfast? Just a couple Danish

Brandon Miquel

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

wrote:
> :
> [snip]
> :> Now, supposing I had 6 rebel cruiser escorts, each with 4 mantas, and I had
> :> the same with a hawk bay, that means I could put 38 ships on the screen all
> :> by my lonesome without any plug-ins, etc. What happens?

(1 + 6) * (1 + 4) + 2 = 37, not 38, but that would still exceed the limit.

> :Try it and find out. I have a suspicion they simply won't appear on the
> :screen. I seem to remember this happening to me with number of shots on
> :the screen when I was playing about with rates of fire.
>
> Nope, the rebel cruiser escorts simply won't release their fighters.

Yes, but Peter's suspicion was also right (I think the Rebel Cruisers just
didn't release their fighters because they didn't have a reason to). I
tried it with the bug in 1.0.1 that allows you to have unlimited
fighters. After I had released enough to bring the total number of ships
in the system up to 36, none of the other ships I launched appeared.

Brandon

Dave Radin

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

In article <1996Aug15.2...@rti.rti.org>,

> Your Name <Your...@somwhere.COM> wrote:
> >Nice to see Deirdre and Charles Pitts have joined forces against the
> >Confederation. Perhaps they can help me with a small problem. I've got
> >all the Confederation systems in tribute to me except Sol. I've captured
> >2 Confederation frigates and hired 4 kestrels to go along with my kestrel
> >and then I tried to sack Earth. No luck, they just had too many cruisers
> >for me. Question is, is capturing one of those sweet alien battle
> >cruisers my only hope? Is there any hope in that, even? Where can I buy
> >an alien battle cruiser (without cheating)?

You could also try using the forklift on them--it makes it much easier.
Plus, you get collateral damage--any of those annoying patrol ships nearby
the cruiser you're targeting also get blown up when the forklift detonates
against the cruiser. :)

--
___ d...@interaccess.com ra...@uiuc.edu (preferred)
| \ __ ___ _____
| |) / _` \ V / -_) "This is the sort of English up with which I
|___/\__,_|\_/\___| will not put." --Winston Churchill

io...@microtec.net

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Peter Cartwright wrote:

> In article <4vfhfc$1...@disney.ucc>, pio...@mtu.edu (Paul R. Piotrowski) wrote:
>
> > Peter Cartwright (Pe...@cartwrig.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > : In article <avezir19-200...@ppp447.liberty.com>,
> > : avez...@mail.idt.net wrote:
> > :
> > : >
> > : > THeRE IS A PLUG-IN on AMERICA ONLINE (If you look hard enough) that brings
> > : > out ALLLLLLL of the cruisers out ALLLL at once so you can destroy them
> > : > without waiting
> > :
> > : Bringing all of about 3000 frigates out at once would cause EV a few
> > : problems; seeing as how the maximum number of ships that EV can cope with
> > : in a system at one time is 36 (which is why the wave defence system has to
> > : be used). More likely this plug-in reduces the number of defending ships,
> > : or makes waves larger.
> >
> > Now, supposing I had 6 rebel cruiser escorts, each with 4 mantas, and I had
> > the same with a hawk bay, that means I could put 38 ships on the screen all
> > by my lonesome without any plug-ins, etc. What happens?
>
> Try it and find out. I have a suspicion they simply won't appear on the
> screen. I seem to remember this happening to me with number of shots on
> the screen when I was playing about with rates of fire.

But how come I could put out 20 xwings, 8 Lightnings, 2 Hawks + 8
corvettes out with Deathstar and CorvetteBay plug-ins?

Brandon Miquel

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

io...@microtec.net wrote:

> But how come I could put out 20 xwings, 8 Lightnings, 2 Hawks + 8
> corvettes out with Deathstar and CorvetteBay plug-ins?

Did you count all of them?

Brandon

Fred Hohlen

Sep 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/2/96

In article <radin-24089...@d52.nhe.interaccess.com>,
ra...@uiuc.edu (Dave Radin) wrote:

My tips for CONQUERING! Earth.
1.If you can get space bombs& and drop them like mines near the planet.New
ships that come out will be instantly damaged.
2.If you're REALLY powerful,stay near the planet and destroy the ships
when they are just coming out;they are most vulnerable then.
3.I the fighters are on you,try heading out twoards Mars,when they reach
you,afterburn back to earth destroy some cruisers,adn burn back out agian.
4.Get a missile jammer;they are really important here.Note that they won't
stop the missiles from hitting you,just allow you to outmanuever them
easier.

Axe

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

>In article <1996Aug15.2...@rti.rti.org>,
>
>> Your Name <Your...@somwhere.COM> wrote:
>> >Nice to see Deirdre and Charles Pitts have joined forces against the
>> >Confederation. Perhaps they can help me with a small problem. I've got
>> >all the Confederation systems in tribute to me except Sol. I've captured
>> >2 Confederation frigates and hired 4 kestrels to go along with my kestrel
>> >and then I tried to sack Earth. No luck, they just had too many cruisers
>> >for me. Question is, is capturing one of those sweet alien battle
>> >cruisers my only hope? Is there any hope in that, even? Where can I buy
>> >an alien battle cruiser (without cheating)?
>
>You could also try using the forklift on them--it makes it much easier.
>Plus, you get collateral damage--any of those annoying patrol ships nearby
>the cruiser you're targeting also get blown up when the forklift detonates
>against the cruiser. :)

Sorry to put things into perspective for all of you, but using the EVcheat
plugin I had an (essentially) indestructable ship (I took out 24 borg
ships in a row... without a scratch... no kidding... if you haven't tried
the borg plug in, try it, it's cool... just don't run it with any other
plugz)

I spent an hour attacking just Starbase alpha, and when all the ships were
destroyed...and victory was mine, i demanded tribute and they sent out a
second fleet!...

after the sixth fleet I just gave up,
does anyone know how to defeat earth??

Axe
a...@hotmail.com

nightshade

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

a...@rockhouse.com (Axe) wrote:

> after the sixth fleet I just gave up,
> does anyone know how to defeat earth??

cheat. period. hack the resource to reduce the number of ships, or else
get a plugin with an indestructable ship, and just keep firing.

p.s. theres 2000+ of those things to destroy.

--ns--

jf...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~jfron
gothic desktop archive in progress at http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~jfron