World's oldest half life player

po

Dec 15, 2004, 7:39:22 AM12/15/04
I wonder who the world's oldest half life player is? I wonder how old he is
and where he is? Can't imagine anybody seventy playing, but there probably
is someone. I wouldn't count the casual player, like when the grandson gets
him to play. I mean a guy who waits for the game and goes out to buy it
becuase he wants to.

I was thinking of starting a site for old and sick gamers. I could call it
dying gamer planet. It could be full of cancerous heart patients who like to
play games. Would that be cool? Maybe I'm ahead of my time.

Cannon Fodder

Dec 15, 2004, 7:45:50 AM12/15/04
I can't imagine anyone over 40 playing games like HL....

"Always be able to find a little humor
even in the most grim situations"

po

Dec 15, 2004, 7:47:45 AM12/15/04
I'll be fifty this month, you tadpole.

"Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

po

Dec 15, 2004, 7:56:14 AM12/15/04
Found this...
It always makes me chuckle when I hear someone refer to themselves as an
"old gamer" at the ripe old age of 28 or so. Besides the fact that I am an
avid gamer at my age, I have a 76 year old mother who enjoys playing her NES
and numerous computer games. Maybe not the most sophisticated gamer you'll
find, but a gamer nonetheless. Even more so these days, video gaming spans
two (and sometimes three) generations and is a phenomenon that knows
absolutely no boundaries or age, gender, or race. And it's big business too.

Here's another...

Nick recalls the early text-character space-action games on his first
machine. "There was nothing more satisfying than destroying a Klingon ship
(represented by the letter 'K') with your starship Enterprise (as designated
by the letter 'E'), thus saving the starbase (represented by the letter
'B')."

"And back then, we couldn't save our games," Nick explained. "If our
character died, we started a game from scratch, the way it should be!
Finishing a game then was a real accomplishment. This creep-and-save stuff
the kids do now? That's for pussies."

http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyKZoMsBBz8cARE.DBqMX;_ylu=X3oDMTBwMjNqdWVsBHBndANhdHdfd2ViX3Jlc3VsdARzZWMDc3I-/SIG=11gn62fpn/**http%3a//www.thetoque.net/031111/oldgamer.htm

Hahaha! No saves.

"po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Lief

Dec 15, 2004, 8:09:27 AM12/15/04

"po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I'll be fifty this month, you tadpole.

Hrh....

KM

Dec 15, 2004, 8:12:41 AM12/15/04
Well said Po, nice to see another old foggy gamer. I seem to be one of the
"older" (43) gamers on XBox Live so could do with some support (mentally an
probably soon, physically)

David Firewater

Dec 15, 2004, 8:12:05 AM12/15/04

"po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote

> I'll be fifty this month, you tadpole.

Hehe... CF a tadpole? Compared to CF and Rene, you're the tadpole mate;)
Rene, aren't you in your 70's already?
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

Cannon Fodder

Dec 15, 2004, 8:18:24 AM12/15/04
HeHe... Just thought I'd stroke him a little... Rene is 70 and I'm
right on his butt at 68... Ok grasshopper???

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:12:05 -0000, "David Firewater"
<davidfirew...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote
>> I'll be fifty this month, you tadpole.
>
>Hehe... CF a tadpole? Compared to CF and Rene, you're the tadpole mate;)
>Rene, aren't you in your 70's already?

"Always be able to find a little humor

>> gamer <<

Dec 15, 2004, 8:27:23 AM12/15/04
well, im not old as dirt yet, nor a tadpole, but im 44, almost 45. and
totally addicted, ive played doom since day 1, quake since day1, and half
life since day 1.
i play 3 to 5 hours a night on week nights, and shit, all day most days on
weekends.
most people say i have no life, humm.
i say i have at least a half-life, :p
>> gamer <<
"David Firewater" <davidfirew...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dr_Dickie

Dec 15, 2004, 8:39:04 AM12/15/04

"Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

Hey, I'm 50. I stumbled across HL the first time when it came out. I said,
"this looks interesting. I'll give it a try."
Since I am a mass spectrometerist, with a PhD, I was hooked.
I pre-ordered HL2, and love it.
I also play: call of duty, halo--PC version, viet cong, etc.
I did the Doom thing when it came out, and I played Castle Wolfenstine on my
Apple way back in the 80's.

Limnophile

Dec 15, 2004, 9:00:54 AM12/15/04

"Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message
>I can't imagine anyone over 40 playing games like HL....

In the Bullet Catchers Anonymous clan , myself and another member are 34,
one is 44, one is 53, and a 51-year old recently won our prestigious Swiss
Cheese Award for mastery of being KIA.

<BCA> LEI 10 SEA (CO-LDR)
aka Limnophile

Fred Scharmann

Dec 15, 2004, 9:25:01 AM12/15/04
You guys are really making me feel old!

I'm still a young squirt of 67 and I hated shooting/killing games until I
picked up HL out of the $7 box at CompUSA. I tried it and loved it.
Finished HL2 and hoping some mods come out for it.

Long live HL!

"po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

kleptos

Dec 15, 2004, 9:25:02 AM12/15/04

"Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

I'll be 56 in a month...Played wolfenstien on a 486.
kleptos

Warty

Dec 15, 2004, 9:37:29 AM12/15/04
A spring Chicken at 38

Warty

--
"The Right Man in the Wrong place can make all the difference in the world"
The G-MAN

"Limnophile" <limnoph...@Mcharter.net> wrote in message

Dr_Dickie

Dec 15, 2004, 10:20:43 AM12/15/04

"Warty" <yea...@nobut.com> wrote in message

> A spring Chicken at 38
>
> Warty

We perfer the term," Young punk." ;)

Lefty

Dec 15, 2004, 10:29:25 AM12/15/04
LOL, dinkus.

Peter Lykkegaard

Dec 15, 2004, 10:41:48 AM12/15/04
"KM" wrote

> Well said Po, nice to see another old foggy gamer. I seem to be one of the
> "older" (43) gamers on XBox Live so could do with some support (mentally
> an probably soon, physically)

43? - it's nothing - I am from '59

- Peter

Caesar

Dec 15, 2004, 11:04:23 AM12/15/04
52 Here..

Regards

Caesar
"Fred Scharmann" <spam...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Scott Amspoker

Dec 15, 2004, 11:04:33 AM12/15/04
"po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote:

> I'll be fifty this month, you tadpole.

47 here.

--
sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!

คคค Abo คคค

Dec 15, 2004, 11:05:10 AM12/15/04

"po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I wonder who the world's oldest half life player is? I wonder how old he is
>and where he is? Can't imagine anybody seventy playing, but there probably
>is someone. I wouldn't count the casual player, like when the grandson gets
>him to play. I mean a guy who waits for the game and goes out to buy it
>becuase he wants to.

My dad is 59 and is halfway through Ravenholm. He bought the silver edition.
He's playing Doom 3 too but has put it aside while he goes through HL2.

He's been playing FPS games for a couple of years now, since I showed him
Half Life. So far he has completed HL twice, RTCW, Halo and a couple of
others...

Leon Smith

Dec 15, 2004, 11:37:02 AM12/15/04
My Dad is 60 and plays Doom 3.....although not very well ;-)

I'm 30 and feel quite old when i'm playing Halo on-line - you get the
feeling from the things people say, that they are all in their early teens!

Rene Lamontagne

Dec 15, 2004, 11:46:59 AM12/15/04

"Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

Yep, 70 going on 71 in three months, Just finished HL2 and enjoyed it hugely
Starting for the 2nd time last night. Took me nearly a month at 2 or 3 hours
a day, enjoyed every minute

Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Civilian_Target

Dec 15, 2004, 12:33:35 PM12/15/04
Eugh, thats a horrible mental image..... far too many wrinkles!

Civilian_Target

Shawk

Dec 15, 2004, 12:48:10 PM12/15/04

42 - around the average for this group - who'd have thought it?

ShutEye

Dec 15, 2004, 1:23:35 PM12/15/04
<snip>

> 42 - around the average for this group - who'd have thought it?

It comes as no surprise to me.
In the alt.games.battlefield1942 group it's the same thing.

It's not the teens who can afford to play the latest and greatest :)

Lief

Dec 15, 2004, 1:46:32 PM12/15/04

"Shawk" <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

25 here...ya bunch o' pensioners ;p

Peter James

Dec 15, 2004, 2:44:55 PM12/15/04
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:39:22 -0500, "po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>I wonder who the world's oldest half life player is? I wonder how old he is
>and where he is? Can't imagine anybody seventy playing, but there probably
>is someone. I wouldn't count the casual player, like when the grandson gets
>him to play. I mean a guy who waits for the game and goes out to buy it
>becuase he wants to.
>
>I was thinking of starting a site for old and sick gamers. I could call it
>dying gamer planet. It could be full of cancerous heart patients who like to
>play games. Would that be cool? Maybe I'm ahead of my time.

Well, I'm 67. First played HL some three years ago, and I;ve just
finished HL2.. I well remember my first real addictive game, and that
was Keene. Remember them, I thought they were great? Oh for bygone
days.
-
Peter James
Remove AT to reply

P F James

Paul Catley

Dec 15, 2004, 2:53:49 PM12/15/04
po wrote:
> I wonder who the world's oldest half life player is? I wonder how old
> he is and where he is?

They're all here!

Look at all these oldsters! I guess you guys understand why there rules and
laws and stuff.

--
Paul
(Younger than the average AGHLer, 41)

Rene Lamontagne

Dec 15, 2004, 3:04:56 PM12/15/04
Ain't got wrinkles, I'm only 70
Dad lived to 95, Both Granfathers live to 97 and 98,
I still got a few years yet :-))

Regards, Rene Lamontagne

"Civilian_Target" <tad...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Craig Coope

Dec 15, 2004, 3:04:54 PM12/15/04

"Paul Catley" <paul.notrea...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I have to say that this tread has really opened my eyes.... I laughed when I
first read the initial post (surely "older" people (esp people pushing 70
etc) will certianly not be playing this game)...but wow...I'm amazed at some
of the replies here...

I'm only 24...I thought most of the people here would be younger than
that!....

tq...@msn.com

Dec 15, 2004, 3:20:38 PM12/15/04
I'm the oldest fart at 44. And they say a man my age would have nothing
in common with a 15 year-old. Oh man,
is that scary just thinking about that.

Cannon Fodder

Dec 15, 2004, 3:52:35 PM12/15/04
Geeze, we're a bunch of old farts.... Bunch of us over 60 in here.... I can just see our
get together... Menu, graveyard toast and Geritol...... Yep remember Commander Keene...
"Keene makes a break for the Outlands" That was IDs first game I believe.....
Message has been deleted

Strider

Dec 15, 2004, 3:55:08 PM12/15/04
Lief proclaimed...

> 25 here...ya bunch o' pensioners ;p

29, ya young pimp.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: www.aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: www.stri.tk

"All right, listen up guys. 'Twas the night before
Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature
was stirring, except for the four assholes coming in
the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation."

Cannon Fodder

Dec 15, 2004, 4:02:02 PM12/15/04
Yep all of my folks lived into their 90s and my paternal grandad lived to be 104.... My
doc sez I'm immortal but I do have wrinkles and scars... :) The reason?

"Life should NOT be a journey to the

grave with the intention of arriving

safely in an attractive and well

preserved body, but rather to skid in

sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite

beverage in the other, body thoroughly

used up, totally worn out, and

screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Cannon Fodder

Dec 15, 2004, 4:05:01 PM12/15/04
That was a tongue in cheek statement... I guess ya haven't yet read the rest of the
thread...

On 15 Dec 2004 20:54:23 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <vel...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Cannon Fodder <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote:
>> I can't imagine anyone over 40 playing games like HL....
>>

>You are way off ... as I know at least one person myself. I can't say
>that he is playing Halflife or not though ... but it is the type of game
>that he will play.

Message has been deleted

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 4:59:03 PM12/15/04
"Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> I can't imagine anyone over 40 playing games like HL....
Me neither. Can't *imagine* it at all! :o\ Terrible, ain't it?
McG.

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:39:22 -0500, "po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>> I wonder who the world's oldest half life player is? I wonder how

>> old he is and where he is? Can't imagine anybody seventy playing,
>> but there probably is someone. I wouldn't count the casual player,
>> like when the grandson gets him to play. I mean a guy who waits for
>> the game and goes out to buy it becuase he wants to.
>>
>> I was thinking of starting a site for old and sick gamers. I could
>> call it dying gamer planet. It could be full of cancerous heart
>> patients who like to play games. Would that be cool? Maybe I'm ahead
>> of my time.

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 5:02:34 PM12/15/04
"Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> HeHe... Just thought I'd stroke him a little... Rene is 70 and I'm
> right on his butt at 68... Ok grasshopper???

My Daddy *won't* play nuthin on a PC. BUT, he does use a console pretty
well. Sis got him some Quake game for the console he has now. I think
I'll see if there's a port of HL for it :) Daddy turned 78 on Oct. 1.
Guess that makes me still a 'tadpole', at 50 huh? :)
McG.

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:12:05 -0000, "David Firewater"
> <davidfirew...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> "po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote
>>> I'll be fifty this month, you tadpole.
>>
>> Hehe... CF a tadpole? Compared to CF and Rene, you're the tadpole
>> mate;) Rene, aren't you in your 70's already?

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 5:03:37 PM12/15/04
"Civilian_Target" <tad...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Eugh, thats a horrible mental image..... far too many wrinkles!
>
> Civilian_Target

Oh hell, you been *looking*! Dammit CF, the kids been *looking*! ;)
McG.

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 5:07:21 PM12/15/04

> "Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

>> I can't imagine anyone over 40 playing games like HL....
>>

> In the Bullet Catchers Anonymous clan , myself and another member are
> 34, one is 44, one is 53, and a 51-year old recently won our
> prestigious Swiss Cheese Award for mastery of being KIA.
>
> <BCA> LEI 10 SEA (CO-LDR)
> aka Limnophile

LOL! :o)) I gotta get me one of those Swiss Cheese Awards! Ha!
I've earned it! :)
McG.

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 5:07:53 PM12/15/04
Yep, now don't we all make you feel better? :)
McG.

"Warty" <yea...@nobut.com> wrote in message
> A spring Chicken at 38
>
> Warty

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 5:11:06 PM12/15/04
"kleptos" <nob...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> "Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message
>> I can't imagine anyone over 40 playing games like HL....
>>

>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:39:22 -0500, "po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder who the world's oldest half life player is? I wonder how
>>> old he is
>>> and where he is? Can't imagine anybody seventy playing, but there
>>> probably is someone. I wouldn't count the casual player, like when
>>> the grandson gets
>>> him to play. I mean a guy who waits for the game and goes out to
>>> buy it becuase he wants to.
>>>
>>> I was thinking of starting a site for old and sick gamers. I could
>>> call it dying gamer planet. It could be full of cancerous heart
>>> patients who like to
>>> play games. Would that be cool? Maybe I'm ahead of my time.
>>>

>> "Always be able to find a little humor
>> even in the most grim situations"
>
> I'll be 56 in a month...Played wolfenstien on a 486.
> kleptos

Oh man, you were up in the world! I started the first Wolfenstein game
I found on an 8088, but it wanted more ram, so I kept it on a floppy
till I got me a 286-12 with 4 megs of chipram :) Hey, it *worked*, ok?
Not good....just worked :) Did much better on a 386.
McG.

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 5:13:35 PM12/15/04
"Shawk" <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

Well, um...*we* would? :o) How bout 40-50 for the mean? Most of us
have kids, quite a few have grandkids, and a couple even have great
grandkids. Not bad at all for a FPS huh?
McG.

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 5:17:28 PM12/15/04
"Craig Coope" <coop...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

MOST of the people younger than that don't bother with communicating in
usenet :) It ain't "kewel" enough.
McG.

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 5:15:27 PM12/15/04
"Peter James" <pfja...@clara.co.uk> wrote in message

Kommander Keen. Yeah, some of iD Softwares first stuff :) Then
Wolfenstein 3D :) !!

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 5:18:44 PM12/15/04
"Ex (ex.cur'sus)" <xcurs...@SPAM.excite.com> wrote in message
> I'm 43... and my folks bought HL2 for me!
> They must have missed the content warnings
> and so forth. : )
>
> This is the best thread ever. All this time I thought
> I was the only one outta puberty... LOL!
>
> Ex

ha! Well, most of us have outlived puberty. At least the first one ;)
McG.

Ben Cottrell

Dec 15, 2004, 5:36:20 PM12/15/04
Lief wrote:

> 25 here...ya bunch o' pensioners ;p

22 here, you old codger ;)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Acercanto

Dec 15, 2004, 5:39:01 PM12/15/04
Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Lief wrote:
>
>> 25 here...ya bunch o' pensioners ;p
>

> 22 here, you old codger ;)

19. All y'all are a bunch of old geezers. ;-)

--
- Acercanto
user: forestman domain: vt.edu

I think there's a world market for about 8 computers. -- Bill Gates

Ben Cottrell

Dec 15, 2004, 5:41:08 PM12/15/04
McGrandpa wrote:

> ha! Well, most of us have outlived puberty. At least the first one ;)
> McG.

at 1 years old, success is ... not peeing your pants
at 21 years old, success is ... having sex
at 41 years old, success is ... earning lots of money
at 61 years old, success is ... having sex
at 81 years old, success is ... not peeing your pants

I guess it does happen twice then :-)

Acercanto

Dec 15, 2004, 5:44:02 PM12/15/04
I'm 19, and I really enjoy reading all the articles. (Although, thinking
about it, I'm not what most people would call normal) I was homeschooled
all the way to college, and I'm a junior right now. This thread has been
a real eye-opener, 'cause I'd assumed that everyone here was pretty
*young*, not old(er)..
-Acer

--
- Acercanto
user: forestman domain: vt.edu

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Gigabyte Radeon 9200 128 MB DDR
512 MB PC3200 DDR
82GB, 7200rpm HD

Cannon Fodder

Dec 15, 2004, 6:07:03 PM12/15/04
19!!!! Cripes, someone grab that kid and change his diapers... He's
starting to smell... :)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:39:01 -0500, Acercanto
<sends...@microsoft.notme> wrote:

>Ben Cottrell wrote:
>> Lief wrote:
>>
>>> 25 here...ya bunch o' pensioners ;p
>>

>> 22 here, you old codger ;)
>>

>19. All y'all are a bunch of old geezers. ;-)

"Always be able to find a little humor

Shawk

Dec 15, 2004, 6:49:37 PM12/15/04

Now ya know why we're all so damn crotechy in the mornings (or evenings,
or afternoons, or sometimes in between) :-)

Paul Catley

Dec 15, 2004, 6:48:49 PM12/15/04
Cannon Fodder wrote:
> 19!!!! Cripes, someone grab that kid and change his diapers... He's
> starting to smell... :)

Aren't we all...

--
Paul

Shawk

Dec 15, 2004, 7:04:57 PM12/15/04
Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Yep all of my folks lived into their 90s and my paternal grandad lived to be 104.... My
> doc sez I'm immortal but I do have wrinkles and scars... :) The reason?
>
> "Life should NOT be a journey to the
>
> grave with the intention of arriving
>
> safely in an attractive and well
>
> preserved body, but rather to skid in
>
> sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite
>
> beverage in the other, body thoroughly
>
> used up, totally worn out, and
>
> screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Brought a tear to my eye CF. Just had to copy, paste n print that.
It's now on the door of my 'office'. Who's the original author? Shaun

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 7:01:13 PM12/15/04
"Ben Cottrell" <be...@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message

LOL! Yup!

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 7:00:29 PM12/15/04
"Acercanto" <sends...@microsoft.notme> wrote in message

Well, we can just enjoy ourselves here. Mostly :)

Shawk

Dec 15, 2004, 7:11:58 PM12/15/04

So I gotta wait another 19yrs for the sex to start again?...

What about peeing your pants in between those ages but only on Saturday
nights? I dont have to reduce the alcohol content do I?

Shaun

Cannon Fodder

Dec 15, 2004, 7:29:37 PM12/15/04
Don't know... I've searched high and low and haven't found the
author... Sounds like W.C. Fields though doesn't it.... :) My Southern
Baptist sister-in-law sent it to me and asked if I had written it...
:)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:04:57 +0000, Shawk <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

"Always be able to find a little humor

Acercanto

Dec 15, 2004, 7:30:45 PM12/15/04
Cannon Fodder wrote:
> 19!!!! Cripes, someone grab that kid and change his diapers... He's
> starting to smell... :)
>
> "Always be able to find a little humor
> even in the most grim situations"
I've always hung out with adults, and frankly, I'm more comfortable
talking to an adult than a peer. How's that for wierd?

Cannon Fodder

Dec 15, 2004, 8:14:47 PM12/15/04
Are you sure they're not pedophiles????

Top Secret

Dec 15, 2004, 8:41:26 PM12/15/04
44 here. I'll be playing until I die.

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> I can't imagine anyone over 40 playing games like HL....
>

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:39:22 -0500, "po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote:

<snip>

Mox 13

Dec 15, 2004, 8:49:15 PM12/15/04

"po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I wonder who the world's oldest half life player is? I wonder how old he is
>and where he is? Can't imagine anybody seventy playing, but there probably
>is someone. I wouldn't count the casual player, like when the grandson gets
>him to play. I mean a guy who waits for the game and goes out to buy it
>becuase he wants to.
>
> I was thinking of starting a site for old and sick gamers. I could call it
> dying gamer planet. It could be full of cancerous heart patients who like
> to play games. Would that be cool? Maybe I'm ahead of my time.

Mox 13 Incep Date 11/29/1952
(52)

I began my addiction at 7-11 stores with Pac Man and Galaga during the mid
1970s. Did 3 different Nintendo consoles 80s and 90s. Graduated to PC late
90s. My first PC was a off the shelf HP, P1, 233, Win 95. Since then I have
built about 10 PCs for myself, friends, and family. PC games that have fed
my addiction include but not limited to, the Quake series, Command and
Conquer series, Unreal series, Tomb Raider series, Diablo series,
Wolfenstein series, Neverwinter Nights, Half Life, and now HL2. Major
disappointments were C&C Renegade, and Unreal II. Still playing C&C Generals
Zero Hour, Neverwinter HOU, and HL2. Skipped Doom 3 for now in favor of HL2.
Currently anticipating the release of Neverwinter Nights II.

Mox 13

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched sea beams glitter in the dark near the
Ten Houser Gate.
All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in the rain.

Roy Batty (Nexus 6 Combat Model)

Beck

Dec 15, 2004, 8:54:59 PM12/15/04
I'm certainly not the oldest but I'm in a definite minority: I'm 43, female,
and love FPS's (currently on my 2nd run through HL@, on hard this time). My
friends don't understand why I spend all my time at this sort of thing (they
call it a "waste of time"); I figure it's cheap stress relief. OK, not so
cheap after spending $400 on the video card I bought for HL2, but I love
great visuals!
Any of you young'uns remember when the 1st Doom was released? Now what I'm
really waiting for now is any positive word on Duke Nukem Forever. THAT
would really rock my world.

Beck

Acercanto

Dec 15, 2004, 9:00:15 PM12/15/04
Heh, very funny. It's my homeschooling most likely..

GeoTheCat

Dec 15, 2004, 9:09:50 PM12/15/04
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:00:54 -0600, "Limnophile"
<limnoph...@Mcharter.net> wrote:

>"Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

>>I can't imagine anyone over 40 playing games like HL....
>>

>In the Bullet Catchers Anonymous clan , myself and another member are 34,
>one is 44, one is 53, and a 51-year old recently won our prestigious Swiss
>Cheese Award for mastery of being KIA.
>
><BCA> LEI 10 SEA (CO-LDR)
>aka Limnophile

I'd been wondering what <BCA> stood for. Very funny! I think I could
have qualified for that award many times in our LAN games. :-)

Erik

GeoTheCat

Dec 15, 2004, 9:13:28 PM12/15/04
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:04:54 -0000, "Craig Coope"
<coop...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have to say that this tread has really opened my eyes.... I laughed when I
>first read the initial post (surely "older" people (esp people pushing 70
>etc) will certianly not be playing this game)...but wow...I'm amazed at some
>of the replies here...
>
>I'm only 24...I thought most of the people here would be younger than
>that!....

Yeah, I had the same reaction when I first started lurking/posting in
here a couple years ago. The same topic came up and I was amazed that
at 36 (at the time), I was of median age in here. I would have lost
that bet. :-)

Erik

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 9:13:10 PM12/15/04
"Shawk" <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

Naw, just all the other liquids ;)
McG.

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 9:16:54 PM12/15/04
"Mox 13" <nos...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 9:19:42 PM12/15/04
"Mox 13" <nos...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Mox, Doom3 is definitely doable :) You seem to like most of what I do,
I think you'd enjoy it. What about Far Cry?
McG.

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 9:24:38 PM12/15/04
"Beck" <becksp...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

Remember when Doom was released? Heh! I played the demo of it until
Doom2 came out, bought that outright. Later, I bought several map disks
for Doom/Doom2. I also remember playing a couple locals online with
Doom and Doom2.
I've heard nothing about DN Forever... but I'm putting a "junker"
together to play the old games on. Pity they won't work right on a
modern rig with XP :o\
McG.

McGrandpa

Dec 15, 2004, 9:25:10 PM12/15/04
"Beck" <becksp...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

And you're still a spring chicken at 43 ;)
McG.

Shawk

Dec 15, 2004, 9:27:13 PM12/15/04

Hiya Beck, Doom blew me away back then with the graphics but I seem to
remember it was a little 'stuttery' on the old PC. Dont visit BTO's
groups much anymore - did you ever get back on Broadband? Shaun

Cannon Fodder

Dec 15, 2004, 9:32:27 PM12/15/04
I understand...Was just kidding... Had to drop out of school in 9th
grade and run like the wind... I've never had a kid buddy... Worked
big time since I was about 10... Wasn't home schooled (you lucky and
probably well educated young man) I was kinda real life educated.....
Worked for me... Has a PHD in shit happens....

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:00:15 -0500, Acercanto
<sends...@microsoft.notme> wrote:

>Heh, very funny. It's my homeschooling most likely..

"Always be able to find a little humor

Desosa

Dec 15, 2004, 10:06:48 PM12/15/04

"Shawk" <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

I suppose that could be shortened down to "Rock 'til you drop".

: D

Desosa

Dec 15, 2004, 10:12:41 PM12/15/04

"McGrandpa" <McGran...@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

I'd like to think that most never grow old in mind, just in body. Some on
the other hand are born 'old'. : )

Desosa

Dec 15, 2004, 10:28:21 PM12/15/04

"Beck" <becksp...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

Favorite Doom1 memory...

I'll never forget the best drinking game... scrub that... most hideous
drinking game I ever played. Doom1 playing a LAN through a crappy cable.
There were just 3 of us, but whenever you got killed, you had to go and
drink a double of this red German shit, 60% vol, vomit juice, while the
other person took over.
We finished the rocket juice after about 15 minutes, and it was one big
bloody bottle! So we drank everything else we could lay our hands on.
Eventually it all ground to a halt, for obvious reasons : ) Ahhhhhhh Doom

Sorry, I don't like telling ole' crappy drinking stories, but you just got
me thinkin about it. Anyway, that was in the student daze. I'm now 28 and
hoping to head toward an early grave that is... ...if I can afford it ; )

Desosa

Dec 15, 2004, 10:29:19 PM12/15/04

"Desosa" <ya...@yadda.yadda> wrote in message

p.s. as for Duke Nukem Forever.. you miss read the advert... it actually
said...

You will be waiting for the next Duke Nukem... Forever! heh

Beck

Dec 15, 2004, 10:36:06 PM12/15/04
>but I'm putting a "junker" together to play the old games on. Pity they
>won't work right on a modern rig with XP :o\
> McG.

>sniff< I'm feeling nostalgic for those old games. A "junker" PC is a good
>idea...I think I have a copy of Duke Nukem around here somewhere...

Beck

Beck

Dec 15, 2004, 10:51:48 PM12/15/04

> Major disappointments were C&C Renegade
I loved Renegade! Only problem was it was so full of bugs, I kept having to
restart the game every so often in certain parts. I wish they'd continued
with the FPS form of C&C. Wouldn't you love to play Kane?

The game thats really surprised me the most lately was Far Cry. I almost
didn't buy the game because I thought it looked kinda cheesy. What an
incredibly beautiful and well done game. I'm looking forward to more great
games from Ubisoft.
Beck

Beck

Limnophile

Dec 16, 2004, 3:01:30 AM12/16/04

<GeoTheCat> wrote

> I'd been wondering what <BCA> stood for. Very funny! I think I could
> have qualified for that award many times in our LAN games. :-)
>
> Erik

Bullet Catchers Anonymous is a clan famous (notorious?) for their sense of
humor, as silliness is the only thing we seem to have an excess of. We also
are proud of our perfect record . We haven't won yet . We all have a good
time though, seeing how many silly and wild ways we can absorb ammo.

I'm proud to say one of our members was the deadest I've ever seen anyone in
CS 1.6 . He had 3 hp left, fell off a ledge, and got AWP'ed in the head just
as the bomb exploded below him. If it wasn't for the AWP , or the bomb, he
would have died from the fall anyway. The bomb blast knocked his corpse
about 150 meters. Now that's a perfect death if I've ever seen one.

We don't score much, but we sure do have fun. If you stink at CS but have a
decent of humor you're welcome to join us. Maybe one day you can win the
illustrious Swiss Cheese Award too.

Limnophile

McGrandpa

Dec 16, 2004, 3:36:42 AM12/16/04
"Desosa" <ya...@yadda.yadda> wrote in message

I do whatever the bod allows me to do. Things have changed. I used to
drive cause it was fun and saved time. Now I drive cause I need to and
I'd never get anywhere on time otherwise :) And the mind and spirit
always get there ahead of the rest of me.
I'm not old, just aging in a hurry. There's still a kid in here. You
oughtta hear the 'conversations' we have ;)
McG.

McGrandpa

Dec 16, 2004, 3:44:31 AM12/16/04
"Beck" <becksp...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

No no no no no no no nooooooooooooooo! *NOT* UbiSoft! They're just the
damned [spit-cough-sputter] *publisher* [ugh!]. What you're really
looking forward to Beck is more great games from CryTech!!!! They
wrote/developed the game :)
And, yes, Far Cry is a beautifully done game. It did get cheesy with
the arcady-action monsters in the end. It's like the story just tapered
off... but it's beautiful.
McG.

Anders Simonsson

Dec 16, 2004, 4:00:34 AM12/16/04
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:39:22 -0500, "po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>I was thinking of starting a site for old and sick gamers. I could call it
>dying gamer planet. It could be full of cancerous heart patients who like to
>play games. Would that be cool? Maybe I'm ahead of my time.

Is there any particular reason why you lump the old in with the sick
and terminally ill?

-----
Anders Simonsson
Website: http://hem.bredband.net/b273622/index.html

Ben Cottrell

Dec 16, 2004, 7:33:03 AM12/16/04
Beck wrote:
>>Major disappointments were C&C Renegade
>
> I loved Renegade! Only problem was it was so full of bugs, I kept having to
> restart the game every so often in certain parts. I wish they'd continued
> with the FPS form of C&C. Wouldn't you love to play Kane?

I was a big fan of the C&C series right back to C&C1 :-)
although C&C in FPS form didn't appeal to me much.. That may have been
down the bugs - it seems that EA won't ever fix bugs in the C&C games,
all they do is release a couple of patches at first, then abandon it,
regardless of how many crippling bugs are left.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Beck

Dec 16, 2004, 7:52:39 AM12/16/04

> No no no no no no no nooooooooooooooo! *NOT* UbiSoft! They're just the
> damned [spit-cough-sputter] *publisher* [ugh!]. What you're really
> looking forward to Beck is more great games from CryTech!!!! They
> wrote/developed the game :)
> And, yes, Far Cry is a beautifully done game. It did get cheesy with the
> arcady-action monsters in the end. It's like the story just tapered
> off... but it's beautiful.
> McG.
Yes you are absolutely right. Crytek is what I meant. Senior moment there...
Beck

Dr_Dickie

Dec 16, 2004, 8:43:58 AM12/16/04

"Acercanto" <sends...@microsoft.notme> wrote in message

> I'm 19, and I really enjoy reading all the articles. (Although, thinking
> about it, I'm not what most people would call normal) I was homeschooled
> all the way to college, and I'm a junior right now. This thread has been
> a real eye-opener, 'cause I'd assumed that everyone here was pretty
> *young*, not old(er)..
> -Acer
>
> --
> - Acercanto
> user: forestman domain: vt.edu
>
> AMD Athlon XP 3200+
> Gigabyte Radeon 9200 128 MB DDR
> 512 MB PC3200 DDR
> 82GB, 7200rpm HD

You and my wife. She reminds me everytime I sit to play a game that I'm
supposed to be an adult. The heck with that, I don't feel like a damn adult,
except physically.
I did notice, the age surprised me, but he lack of females did not. So any
broads in here?

Dr_Dickie

Dec 16, 2004, 8:58:19 AM12/16/04

> "kleptos" <nob...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> > "Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message
> >> I can't imagine anyone over 40 playing games like HL....

> >> "Always be able to find a little humor
> >> even in the most grim situations"
> >
> > I'll be 56 in a month...Played wolfenstien on a 486.
> > kleptos
>
> Oh man, you were up in the world! I started the first Wolfenstein game
> I found on an 8088, but it wanted more ram, so I kept it on a floppy
> till I got me a 286-12 with 4 megs of chipram :) Hey, it *worked*, ok?
> Not good....just worked :) Did much better on a 386.
> McG.

You're bragging. I played it on an Apple II back around 1981! I payed a
pretty penny to upgrade the ram from 4KB to 16 KB, it took two huge cards
and never did work ;(

Steve Evans

Dec 16, 2004, 9:18:46 AM12/16/04
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:24:38 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGran...@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Remember when Doom was released? Heh! I played the demo of it until
>Doom2 came out, bought that outright. Later, I bought several map disks
>for Doom/Doom2. I also remember playing a couple locals online with
>Doom and Doom2.
>I've heard nothing about DN Forever... but I'm putting a "junker"
>together to play the old games on. Pity they won't work right on a
>modern rig with XP :o\
>McG.

Have you tried running them under an app called dosbox?

--
steve AT steveevans DOT org

Craig Coope

Dec 16, 2004, 9:24:05 AM12/16/04

"Steve Evans" <m...@home.net> wrote in message

Yeah I run Doom 2 using DosBos on my XP system...it perfectly...

Neil Jones

Dec 16, 2004, 12:52:55 PM12/16/04
In article <vQ5wd.435$RH4...@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Mox 13
<nos...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Currently anticipating the release of Neverwinter Nights II.

Anticipate away, Mox... I think it's still a while to go yet.

Still play NWN? Played it online? :)

> Mox 13
>
> I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
> Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
> I watched sea beams glitter in the dark near the
> Ten Houser Gate.

// Justified pedant mode on //

'Tannhauser'

// off //

___
Neil
AKA HighVis
Who's just found out he's not even the tenth oldest person in here.
Yay. And as for rat... why a mere stripling.....

Strider

Dec 16, 2004, 1:31:06 PM12/16/04
Anders Simonsson proclaimed...

> Is there any particular reason why you lump the old in with the sick
> and terminally ill?

Old and sick. Haven't you spoken to CF? :)

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: www.aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: www.stri.tk
Clan Page: www.grrrclan.tk

"All right, listen up guys. 'Twas the night before
Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature
was stirring, except for the four assholes coming in
the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation."

Rawhead

Dec 16, 2004, 3:47:17 PM12/16/04
McGrandpa wrote:
> "Cannon Fodder" <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message
>
>>HeHe... Just thought I'd stroke him a little... Rene is 70 and I'm
>>right on his butt at 68... Ok grasshopper???
>

> My Daddy *won't* play nuthin on a PC. BUT, he does use a console pretty
> well. Sis got him some Quake game for the console he has now. I think
> I'll see if there's a port of HL for it :) Daddy turned 78 on Oct. 1.
> Guess that makes me still a 'tadpole', at 50 huh? :)
> McG.
>

>>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:12:05 -0000, "David Firewater"
>><davidfirew...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote

>>>Hehe... CF a tadpole? Compared to CF and Rene, you're the tadpole
>>>mate;) Rene, aren't you in your 70's already?

>>"Always be able to find a little humor
>> even in the most grim situations"

43 here and been avidly gaming since my first ZX81 back in 1982(UK users
here!). Anyone else been through typing in hundreds of lines of BASIC
code from Sinclair User magazine,(or equivalent), just to steer an
asterisk through a maze of #'s?

Also remember the bizzarely humbling experience of taking my old
playstation1 back home and having my 70+ year old gamer virgin Dad
somehow whup both me and my gamer bro' at Tekken. Seemed like random
hammering of the gamepad - but then he's always been a sly one......
Raw'

Rawhead

Dec 16, 2004, 3:49:31 PM12/16/04
McGrandpa wrote:
> "Ex (ex.cur'sus)" <xcurs...@SPAM.excite.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm 43... and my folks bought HL2 for me!
>>They must have missed the content warnings
>>and so forth. : )
>>
>>This is the best thread ever. All this time I thought
>>I was the only one outta puberty... LOL!
>>
>>Ex
>>
>>On 15 Dec 2004 12:20:38 -0800, tq...@msn.com wrote:
>>

>>>I'm the oldest fart at 44. And they say a man my age would have
>>>nothing in common with a 15 year-old. Oh man,
>>>is that scary just thinking about that.
>

> ha! Well, most of us have outlived puberty. At least the first one ;)
> McG.

OMG there's more than one, they'll be dragging on the floor by the time
I'm 50....
Raw'

Jethro[AGHL]

Dec 16, 2004, 3:51:55 PM12/16/04
po wrote:
> I wonder who the world's oldest half life player is? I wonder how old he is
> and where he is? Can't imagine anybody seventy playing, but there probably
> is someone. I wouldn't count the casual player, like when the grandson gets
> him to play. I mean a guy who waits for the game and goes out to buy it
> becuase he wants to.
>
> I was thinking of starting a site for old and sick gamers. I could call it
> dying gamer planet. It could be full of cancerous heart patients who like to
> play games. Would that be cool? Maybe I'm ahead of my time.

38 here. But I have the body of a 60 year old and the mind of a 12 year old.
So it all averages out. :-)

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

DeRanger

Dec 16, 2004, 5:45:10 PM12/16/04
40 here but prefer to think of myself as being 32 U.S.

--

DeRanger

Tactical Gamer
www.tacticalgamer.com
Your source for tactical online gaming.

Mox 13

Dec 16, 2004, 6:10:35 PM12/16/04

> "Mox 13" <nos...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "po" <pr...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>>> I wonder who the world's oldest half life player is? I wonder how
>>> old he is and where he is? Can't imagine anybody seventy playing,
>>> but there probably is someone. I wouldn't count the casual player,
>>> like when the grandson gets him to play. I mean a guy who waits for
>>> the game and goes out to buy it becuase he wants to.
>>>
>>> I was thinking of starting a site for old and sick gamers. I could
>>> call it dying gamer planet. It could be full of cancerous heart
>>> patients who like to play games. Would that be cool? Maybe I'm ahead
>>> of my time.
>> Mox 13 Incep Date 11/29/1952
>> (52)
>>
>> I began my addiction at 7-11 stores with Pac Man and Galaga during
>> the mid 1970s. Did 3 different Nintendo consoles 80s and 90s.
>> Graduated to PC late 90s. My first PC was a off the shelf HP, P1,
>> 233, Win 95. Since then I have built about 10 PCs for myself,
>> friends, and family. PC games that have fed my addiction include but
>> not limited to, the Quake series, Command and Conquer series, Unreal
>> series, Tomb Raider series, Diablo series, Wolfenstein series,
>> Neverwinter Nights, Half Life, and now HL2. Major disappointments
>> were C&C Renegade, and Unreal II. Still playing C&C Generals Zero
>> Hour, Neverwinter HOU, and HL2. Skipped Doom 3 for now in favor of
>> HL2. Currently anticipating the release of Neverwinter Nights II.

>> Mox 13
>>
>> I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
>> Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
>> I watched sea beams glitter in the dark near the
>> Ten Houser Gate.
>> All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in the rain.
>>
>> Roy Batty (Nexus 6 Combat Model)
>
> Mox, Doom3 is definitely doable :) You seem to like most of what I do, I
> think you'd enjoy it. What about Far Cry?
> McG.

I'm sure both are in my future after I wear out HL2. I read a lot of posts
about Far Cry in this group while everyone was waiting for HL2 and it
sounded pretty good. Unfortunately (or not) I was lost in Neverwinter at the
time. <S>

Mox

McGrandpa

Dec 16, 2004, 6:18:38 PM12/16/04
"Beck" <becksp...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

LOL! Yer just a spring chicken yet Beck :) Only 42. Yep :) Sure wish
I was just 42 again :(
McG.

Mox 13

Dec 16, 2004, 6:32:59 PM12/16/04

"Beck" <becksp...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

My disappointment with Renegade wasn't really technical or even appearance.
It was more along the lines of the game being too short, and it did not
really have much community support. In other words no mods or expansions.

Playing Kane would be great. I always liked playing his side anyway.

Mox

Mox 13

Dec 16, 2004, 6:41:25 PM12/16/04
Oh I know it will be a while for NWN II. Plenty of time for Doom 3 and Far
Cry.
I am working my way through NWN mods. No online play for me. I live out in
the sticks where my dial up connects at 26.4. The only broadband option is
satillite, which will not get me in a game. :(

Mox

"Neil Jones" <ne...@designumbrella.com> wrote in message

It is loading more messages.