Slower PC's running Half Life - What a refreshing thing!

Greyhawk

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Ah, its nice to see that a new, superb game like Half Life is running
and running well on lower spec machines - people with p166 and voodoo 1
cards still cutting it when the 550 Mhz Katmai is just around the
corner...

Its a credit to Valve's programmers that financially challenged players
can still enjoy newly released games of this quality on 3 and 4 year old
machines. My 2 and a half year old P200MMX with 48 megs and a 12 meg
Voodoo 2 runs the game so smoothly in 800x600 it stopped me wanting to
upgrade. Take Blood 2, it runs so slowly on my machine its barely
playable - and that's with a particularly lacklustre engine and 0 AI for
the monsters. Well done Valve.

I wonder if it'll run on my old 486DX2 66?....

Bill Waggoner

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Greyhawk wrote:

> Ah, its nice to see that a new, superb game like Half Life is running
> and running well on lower spec machines - people with p166 and voodoo 1
> cards still cutting it when the 550 Mhz Katmai is just around the
> corner...

My 48MB, 133 Pentium (with RIVA 128 video) runs just fine. No, it's not
perfect but, damn!, I can actually play the game. A LOT of the credit has
to go to the OpenGL (D3D was OK too but not as good as OGL) to get the load
off the CPU. Actually, I think the processor on my V128 is MUCH faster than
the one in the machine. But that's where I need the speed so it works for
me.

Bill

Stephan Ahonen

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
>My 48MB, 133 Pentium (with RIVA 128 video) runs just fine. No, it's not
>perfect but, damn!, I can actually play the game. A LOT of the credit has
>to go to the OpenGL (D3D was OK too but not as good as OGL) to get the load
>off the CPU. Actually, I think the processor on my V128 is MUCH faster
than
>the one in the machine. But that's where I need the speed so it works for
>me.
While I was waiting for my brand new computer to arrive, I installed it on
my sister's machine.
Cyrix 6x86 clocked at 120 Mhz, no 3D acceleration, 32 Mb RAM, ran great in
half life, at 320x240 with the window size slightly reduced.
Yeehaw!

Matt...@hotmail.com

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
I know it to be a joke, but no on the 486. No Floating Poing processor.
Hehehe. I think my 386sx had one, oh wait that's running my garage door
opener now! OOPS.

Matt

In article <36A272...@dial.pipex.com>,

Greyhawk <ot...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Ah, its nice to see that a new, superb game like Half Life is running
> and running well on lower spec machines - people with p166 and voodoo 1
> cards still cutting it when the 550 Mhz Katmai is just around the
> corner...
>

> Its a credit to Valve's programmers that financially challenged players
> can still enjoy newly released games of this quality on 3 and 4 year old
> machines. My 2 and a half year old P200MMX with 48 megs and a 12 meg
> Voodoo 2 runs the game so smoothly in 800x600 it stopped me wanting to
> upgrade. Take Blood 2, it runs so slowly on my machine its barely
> playable - and that's with a particularly lacklustre engine and 0 AI for
> the monsters. Well done Valve.
>
> I wonder if it'll run on my old 486DX2 66?....

Grug

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
Last time I checked, DX2s had a floating point processor...maybe its my
memory...

<Matt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Greyhawk

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
Sorry mate, DX machines had a floating point unit while SX machines
didn't.

Still wont run, it only had 8 megs, a 128Mb HD and a 1 meg video card!

Vladimir Rodionov

Jun 11, 2022, 1:49:52 PM6/11/22
On Sunday, January 17, 1999 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+8, Greyhawk wrote:
> Ah, its nice to see that a new, superb game like Half Life is running
> and running well on lower spec machines - people with p166 and voodoo 1
> cards still cutting it when the 550 Mhz Katmai is just around the
> corner...
> Its a credit to Valve's programmers that financially challenged players
> can still enjoy newly released games of this quality on 3 and 4 year old
> machines. My 2 and a half year old P200MMX with 48 megs and a 12 meg
> Voodoo 2 runs the game so smoothly in 800x600 it stopped me wanting to
> upgrade. Take Blood 2, it runs so slowly on my machine its barely
> playable - and that's with a particularly lacklustre engine and 0 AI for
> the monsters. Well done Valve.
> I wonder if it'll run on my old 486DX2 66?....

The game is built on a Quake 1 engine from 1996 so it's not particularly surprising it runs decently on low end Pentiums with Voodoo 1. But on my P120 it craws in software mode even at 320x240. I guess it really needs a 3D card :(

Ant

Jun 11, 2022, 4:35:19 PM6/11/22
Wow, playing on an old school PC. Black Mesa game is nice on modern PCs. ;)
--
Slammy times R back. 2 many medias 2 see! Dang heat wave! It's sweaty enough with 3 masks. :( As a LA Lakers fan, Celtics must lose 2 Warriors.
| |o o| |

Fox McCloud45

Jun 29, 2022, 9:32:47 AM6/29/22
On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 15:35:13 -0500, Ant wrote:

> Vladimir Rodionov <vladimir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 17, 1999 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+8, Greyhawk wrote:
>> > Ah, its nice to see that a new, superb game like Half Life is running
>> > and running well on lower spec machines - people with p166 and voodoo
>> > 1 cards still cutting it when the 550 Mhz Katmai is just around the
>> > corner...
>> > Its a credit to Valve's programmers that financially challenged
>> > players can still enjoy newly released games of this quality on 3 and
>> > 4 year old machines. My 2 and a half year old P200MMX with 48 megs
>> > and a 12 meg Voodoo 2 runs the game so smoothly in 800x600 it stopped
>> > me wanting to upgrade. Take Blood 2, it runs so slowly on my machine
>> > its barely playable - and that's with a particularly lacklustre
>> > engine and 0 AI for the monsters. Well done Valve.
>> > I wonder if it'll run on my old 486DX2 66?....
>
>> The game is built on a Quake 1 engine from 1996 so it's not
>> particularly surprising it runs decently on low end Pentiums with
>> Voodoo 1. But on my P120 it craws in software mode even at 320x240. I
>> guess it really needs a 3D card :(
>
> Wow, playing on an old school PC. Black Mesa game is nice on modern PCs.
> ;)

Note that you two are replying to a 1999 post.

Ant

Jun 29, 2022, 3:47:40 PM6/29/22
Yep, it's fun to relive the old days. ;)
--
Dang long delays, dying old computer hardwares, heat wave, old body (tired and hurty), broken services, crowds, confusions, life, BUSYness, etc.

Vladimir Rodionov

Jun 30, 2022, 6:37:10 AM6/30/22
True, the 486 no longer represents the mainstream of computing but not everyone lives in the US and Western Europe and can afford the latest and greatest Pentium 4 system.