goddamn I FUCKING HATE STEAM

Killah Gorillah

Dec 27, 2004, 9:43:53 AM12/27/04
Sorry to continue the age-old rant, but this is getting old fast. I want
to play a quick bit of HL2, so I fire up ye olde Steam client and
prepare to start in offline mode. Whups, we ain't got no login info,
you'll need to connect. OK. Connect to net, Steam performs unauthorised
update, but it doesn't take very long. Alright, 100% done, let's just
disconnect that internet and restart Steam. Cannot logon to Steam
network, would you like to start in offline mode? YES. OK, but we can't
because we can't login to the Steam network. WHAT PART OF FUCKING
OFFLINE DOES VALVE NOT FUCKING UNDERSTAND!!!??? So now it's just sitting
there checking for game updates (funny, since all games are set to NEVER
FUCKING CHECK FOR UPDATES). The stupid little menu is frozen, and I
can't even open the monitor to see what it's doing. VALVE, FUCK YOU.

cosmo_...@rocketmail.com

Dec 27, 2004, 10:23:22 AM12/27/04
Sounds similar to my experience with Steam -- And all I want to run is
the HL2 demo! I can run the actual demo alright in offline mode, but
in order to get into Steam to start the demo, I need to be logged into
the internet (dial-up). Even when I click the "run Steam in offline
mode" option, Steam complains that it cannot connect to the Steam
server... So I have to sign into the net, start steam, log off the
net, and then start HL2. Last night I couldn't play the demo when I
wanted because my phone line was in use. That is ludicrous! I want
to play a single-player demo, and can't because my internet connection
is unavailable!
Please, someone tell me I am doing something wrong here!...

-Patrick

JBM

Dec 27, 2004, 10:35:51 AM12/27/04

"Killah Gorillah" <t...@t.bitch> wrote in message

This is what got off line working for me, found in the steam forums
Quit steam if running, Go to the steam folder and move the
ClientRegistry.blob file to
a different folder, in case steam screws up. Restart steam and log on then
try offline mode again.

Jim M

Jamie_Manic

Dec 27, 2004, 1:12:28 PM12/27/04

Sure you got the 'Don't save account info...' box unchecked in the Settings?

BigJIm

Dec 27, 2004, 3:48:06 PM12/27/04
I also had problems and that isn't right. I have resolve mine.

Killah Gorillah

Dec 28, 2004, 2:36:08 AM12/28/04

No, I'm a fucking moron. Oh, wait, look, it's unchecked. And once I was
finally able to get Steank to let me see the menus, I also was able to
confirm that HL2, which was currently being updated, was set to NOT
AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE. Not angry at you, since your question is perfectly
legit, just frustrated at how stupid Steank is.

Anders Simonsson

Dec 28, 2004, 4:12:25 AM12/28/04
On 27 Dec 2004 07:23:22 -0800, cosmo_...@rocketmail.com wrote:

>Please, someone tell me I am doing something wrong here!...

I'm sorry you're having trouble, but personally I've never had any
difficulties at all with Steam.

All I can do is point you in the direction of Steam Support,

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php

-----
Anders Simonsson
Website: http://hem.bredband.net/b273622/index.html

fishy_stink_ho

Dec 28, 2004, 8:01:20 AM12/28/04

"BigJIm" <Jim1...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I agree with this. Steam is a half-assed attempt to force updates. Halo
had a better system if I remember correctly. It did force updates, but it
didn't lockup. It Big Brother insists on running my life, he'd better do it
quietly. Motherfucker.

Bob

Dec 30, 2004, 6:46:41 AM12/30/04
I think it locks up because of spyware from Steam and affiliates. At the
2002 Game Developer's Conference when Steam was officially launched, Gabe
Newell Stated that game companies would be able to track players habits.
Does anybody really know for sure what steam is doing in the background?

We are all Victims of the Steam fiasco,
Bob

"Killah Gorillah" <t...@t.bitch> wrote in message

Hiro Hirata

Jan 1, 2005, 11:38:11 PM1/1/05
The moron who thought of the Steam "content management" system
should be struck repeatedly in the balls with heavy mining equipment.
I hate the stupid application. I can't play my game because when it
tries to download the content it comes back with the "servers too
busy" message. WTF?

Killah Gorillah

Jan 5, 2005, 1:15:22 AM1/5/05
Precisely. I would be fine with the following scenarios:

(1) I just want to play single-player HL2. Start in offline mode no
matter what, never attempt to check for updates, never delete my login
info. I can always choose to connect and check for updates at my
discretion. Steam isn't a fucking web browser, so why in fuck's name
does it feel the need to expire my "cookies"?

(2) I decide to check for an update. Steam tries to login to the
network. If it can, fine; it usually doesn't take an outrageous amount
of time (I am happy that the multiplayer is an entirely separate
download, which will only be downloaded if I explicitly tell it to). If
it can't, don't give me any bullshit about "game unavailable" or "not
ready to play". Just let me play what I currently have, and wait to
check for updates later. Don't forbid me from playing the game that I
bought just because you're too stupid to make sure your server capacity
is adequate enough to handle the amount of bandwidth necessary to
deliver updates to a much anticipated large number of gamers.

New S Reader

Jan 5, 2005, 4:32:14 PM1/5/05

> (1) I just want to play single-player HL2. Start in offline mode no matter
> what, never attempt to check for updates, never delete my login info. I
> can always choose to connect and check for updates at my discretion. Steam
> isn't a fucking web browser, so why in fuck's name does it feel the need
> to expire my "cookies"?

Well, that's pretty much how I play it. And I was worried about getting
just the basic game to play after reading all the weird problems that people
were having here. I think most of us agree that steam is unimpressive at
the very least. I would be okay with a required internet check to prevent
pirated games, but steam is overkill!

Cannon Fodder

Jan 5, 2005, 8:08:58 PM1/5/05
I think Steam is great... You people obviously were not around with
the HL1 patches... There was absolute chaos, people running in
circles, screaming and shouting... Raising hell about the 2 hour waits
on fileplanet to download them.... I log onto steam, update starting,
30 seconds later all is well... Remember all the BS of "I tried to go
multi-player and it sez my DLL is out of date" bitches, rants and
raves... All is smooth now...

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:32:14 -0500, "New S Reader" <ne...@read.er>
wrote:

>Well, that's pretty much how I play it. And I was worried about getting
>just the basic game to play after reading all the weird problems that people
>were having here. I think most of us agree that steam is unimpressive at
>the very least. I would be okay with a required internet check to prevent
>pirated games, but steam is overkill!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Message has been deleted

James H. Hood

Jan 6, 2005, 6:30:59 PM1/6/05

Cannon Fodder <gonf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> I think Steam is great... You people obviously were not around with
> the HL1 patches... There was absolute chaos, people running in
> circles, screaming and shouting... Raising hell about the 2 hour waits
> on fileplanet to download them

Not me.....I just waited an hour or so for a mirror.

> .... I log onto steam, update starting,
> 30 seconds later all is well...

Sure, if you're on broadband.....but the rest of us have a much longer wait,
during which we have to update when Steam wants us to do so. Previously all
I had to do was set GetRight to download it, go to bed, and the update was
ready when I was ready for it.

> Remember all the BS of "I tried to go
> multi-player and it sez my DLL is out of date" bitches, rants and
> raves... All is smooth now...

No, we still get those for third-party games.

GFree

Jan 6, 2005, 7:45:49 PM1/6/05
"James H. Hood" <jhhoodDIE...@urdirect.net> wrote in message

> Sure, if you're on broadband.....but the rest of us have a much longer
wait,
> during which we have to update when Steam wants us to do so. Previously
all
> I had to do was set GetRight to download it, go to bed, and the update was
> ready when I was ready for it.

I don't have broadband, but I accept the wait for a Steam update because I
know that patches are a good thing (most of the time).

iv2

Jan 7, 2005, 5:18:35 AM1/7/05

> I don't have broadband, but I accept the wait for a Steam update because I
> know that patches are a good thing (most of the time).

I DO have broadband and Steam keeps freezing around the 35% region. It only
updated over the weekend and took well over an hour. This is fucking
ridiculous.

IV2

lyset

Jan 7, 2005, 6:45:03 AM1/7/05

"iv2" <iv2...@bigpond.net.au> skrev i meddelandet

In some cases a file I think is named ClientRegistry.blob is causing
problems.
One of my kids Steam account locked up and refused to upgrade Steam.
It worked when we deleted that file. As I understand it you get a new one
through Steam. You could at least try to remove it from the folder and see
what happens.
I've tried it and when Steam starts it will upgrade Steam and write a new
ClientRegistry.blob
It is located in the Steam folder.

lyset

James H. Hood

Jan 7, 2005, 9:19:22 PM1/7/05

GFree <nick...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

I accept it because we no longer have a choice.

Killah Gorillah

Jan 15, 2005, 5:17:47 AM1/15/05
Cannon Fodder wrote:
> I think Steam is great... You people obviously were not around with
> the HL1 patches... There was absolute chaos, people running in
> circles, screaming and shouting... Raising hell about the 2 hour waits
> on fileplanet to download them.... I log onto steam, update starting,
> 30 seconds later all is well... Remember all the BS of "I tried to go
> multi-player and it sez my DLL is out of date" bitches, rants and
> raves... All is smooth now...

Actually, I do remember the HL1 patches. It was a dream coming from
Quake 2. I installed HL1, tried to play online, downloaded a ton of
patches, and was able to connect immediately afterward. This was on
dialup, btw, so the patches took a very long time to download. They
didn't force them down my throat, though, like Steam tries to do. I only
needed to download them if I wanted to play online.

No matter how many patches I downloaded for Quake 2, I could never get
it to play online.

EvilBill

Jan 15, 2005, 2:21:42 PM1/15/05

> Actually, I do remember the HL1 patches. It was a dream coming from
> Quake 2. I installed HL1, tried to play online, downloaded a ton of
> patches, and was able to connect immediately afterward. This was on
> dialup, btw, so the patches took a very long time to download. They
> didn't force them down my throat, though, like Steam tries to do. I only
> needed to download them if I wanted to play online.
>
> No matter how many patches I downloaded for Quake 2, I could never get
> it to play online.

I've never had a problem getting Q2 to play online - getting the custom maps
the servers are running is another thing though ;)

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

pcola...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2019, 5:09:37 AM6/5/19
Fuck steam support. They're worthless. Listen, if you guys haven't realized by now that steam doesn't give a SHIT about your happiness or how much money you've spent on their site then you're NEVER gonna realize it. Do yourselves a favor and NEVER...PURCHASE...FROM...STEAM...AGAIN! You want a game, call up your nearest Best Buy and see if THEY have it. Personally, I refuse to EVER purchase anything from steam again. Fuckem!

Shinnokxz

Jun 9, 2019, 11:03:31 PM6/9/19
Usually the people that outright hate Steam are the ones that have fucked their accounts up by using hacks or doing other non-TOS related adventures like account sharing and the like. Of course everyone hated it when it first came out but in today's age it's a very respectable delivery platform that makes more sense then going to Best Buy to buy PC games (I'm pretty sure my Best Buy doesn't even bother with PC retail anymore)

If you're a straight shooter than Steam is more than fine. If you like to mod games, use cheats, and do other weird shit like illegally sale skins then you are going to be on the wrong side of their customer service there.

hobom...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2020, 6:40:54 AM6/6/20
I HATE FUCKING STEAM!

hobom...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2020, 6:41:53 AM6/6/20
On Monday, December 27, 2004 at 8:43:53 AM UTC-6, Killah Gorillah wrote:
I ALSO HATE FUCKING STEAM!
Message has been deleted

Rene Lamontagne

Jul 3, 2020, 9:33:24 AM7/3/20
On 2020-07-02 11:49 p.m., xtc_...@adsl.on.net wrote:
> just thoroughly FUCK STEAM !!!!!!!!
> i tried for a quick game between shifts and it forces updates even though it checked as off , then due to their SLOW as fuck downloading even though i run 100mbps fiber it says over 3 hours to download and install , seriously steam was a great concept , buy cheap games due to no packaging and shipping but theu turned into greedy CUNTS and now charge full tote prices for digital media , FUCK YOU STEAM
>
> FUCK YOU AND ALL YOUR GREEDY WHORE INVESTORS

First, wash out your mouth with lye soap.

Second, Fix your screwed up system.

Rene

xtc_...@adsl.on.net

Jul 4, 2020, 1:15:36 AM7/4/20
Fresh install , everything up to date and all other sources for games smooth , fast and perfect , no malware , no bloatware . System clean and fast , m.2 drives , fast and new hardware , latest drivers for all but steam is a huge bottle neck . Over 12 hours problem solving in the last week including allowing steam through all filters,firewalls,router ports . But sure it's obviously my pc and not at all an overpriced crap games platform .

Rene Lamontagne

Jul 4, 2020, 9:57:05 AM7/4/20
On 2020-07-04 12:15 a.m., xtc_...@adsl.on.net wrote:
> Fresh install , everything up to date and all other sources for games smooth , fast and perfect , no malware , no bloatware . System clean and fast , m.2 drives , fast and new hardware , latest drivers for all but steam is a huge bottle neck . Over 12 hours problem solving in the last week including allowing steam through all filters,firewalls,router ports . But sure it's obviously my pc and not at all an overpriced crap games platform .

Ok, so what is your download speed?
What games were so slow down loading?
Are you on ADSL or a broadband plan
What are some system specs, CPU, memory, video card , Etc.

I recently downloaded 2 games, Giant Machines 2017 and Far Cry plus 2 or
3 Half-Life mods and all went very well and fast.

I have an Intel i7 8700, 16 GB of memory, I am on a 300 Mb/s cable plan
and my download speed is 331 Mb/s, My Steam account is on a 240GB SSD,
My C: windows drive is a 512GB M.2 NVMe.

Lets compare and see if we can find the problem, its worth a try.

Rene

Rene Lamontagne

Jul 4, 2020, 10:07:48 AM7/4/20
Forgot to ask one more question, What is your operating system and what
version.

Thanks, Rene

James Wagner

Nov 20, 2022, 11:52:19 PM11/20/22

Induksi Prima

Oct 1, 2023, 11:31:19 AM10/1/23
stupid fuck steam give by my account . cant fucking login anymore

Induksi Prima

Oct 1, 2023, 11:31:41 AM10/1/23

Fox McCloud45

Oct 7, 2023, 2:40:49 PM10/7/23