gaphics vs. story??

nick henderson

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
im getting pretty sick of ppl dissing ff5 and ff6 for being graphically
primitive. they are both excellent games that i love to play. if square
changed the graphics and stuff like that for the anthology, i would be
less likely to buy it than if they kept it the same. i dont like ff7 as
much as ff6 bcause its more like an interactive movie than a game. its
too linear and the graphics are prioritized over the story. square
shouldve made the story less confusing and the ending was a total
dissapointment for me. thanks for listening to my words. i hope at least
some of you can relate with me, and the rest of you...i dont really give
half a shit what kind of hate mail you send me.

Sky Render

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

Can this be? An intelligent WebTVer? If he starts using capitals, and
remembers to quote previous posts, we may be able to make a netiquitte-worthy
WebTVer out of him!

--
Sky Render * home page: http://doomguru.8m.com
Current Position: Enraged Magidrakee

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%# |||__||| |||__|||
FIVE HUNDRED POSTS \/ \/ \/ \/
TO ALT.GAMES.FINAL.FANTASY (0500) (0250)
%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%# \__/ \__/

Giver of Impaled Cow points
Wielder of a 5 1/2" Long Chewed-Up Stick
Owner of:
An Obscure Little Book
3.14159265359 metal arm points
23 Bliss points
2 Wyvern points

Andy Borne

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
nick henderson <KoRnC...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> im getting pretty sick of ppl dissing ff5 and ff6 for being graphically
> primitive. they are both excellent games that i love to play. if square
> changed the graphics and stuff like that for the anthology, i would be
> less likely to buy it than if they kept it the same. i dont like ff7 as
> much as ff6 bcause its more like an interactive movie than a game. its
> too linear and the graphics are prioritized over the story. square
> shouldve made the story less confusing and the ending was a total
> dissapointment for me. thanks for listening to my words. i hope at least
> some of you can relate with me, and the rest of you...i dont really give
> half a shit what kind of hate mail you send me.

No one's going to send you hate mail, lots of people here liked FF6 more
than 7 for pretty much the same reasons you described. While I pesonally
enjoyed that interactive movie greatly, everyone's entitled to their own
oppinion. That is unless Tetsuo or Ryan don't agree with you.

I realize how awkward and tiny those WebTV keyboards are, but do make a
greater effort to include capitalization.

KoRn kicks ass!!

Dogg

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:01:44 -0500, "Andy Borne"
<abo...@uswest.net> said:

> While I pesonally
>njyed that interactive movie greatly, everyone's entitled to their own

>ppinion. That is unless Tetsuo or Ryan don't agree with you.

HEHEHEHEHE!

>KoRn kicks ass!!

Really? What sort of music do they make? I've
heard of them but...*shrugs*

It's the greatest show with the best effects since
Disco Tex and the Sex-O-Lettes!

PSB

'Fade to Nothingness! Your weakness disgusts me!'

Akuma/Gouki- SFA3

Michel Morin

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
nick henderson a écrit :

> im getting pretty sick of ppl dissing ff5 and ff6 for being graphically
> primitive. they are both excellent games that i love to play. if square
> changed the graphics and stuff like that for the anthology, i would be
> less likely to buy it than if they kept it the same. i dont like ff7 as
> much as ff6 bcause its more like an interactive movie than a game. its
> too linear and the graphics are prioritized over the story. square
> shouldve made the story less confusing and the ending was a total
> dissapointment for me. thanks for listening to my words. i hope at least
> some of you can relate with me, and the rest of you...i dont really give
> half a shit what kind of hate mail you send me.

I agree with you all over, I had a debat about that with the operator. I
said that the story is not so original, and had linear plot. but it say
no.

But much more, i gived reason who make FF7 had the similare outline of
FF6.

Roger666 "Welcome to Oblivion..."

Joel Van Zanten

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

nick henderson <KoRnC...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> im getting pretty sick of ppl dissing ff5 and ff6 for being graphically
> primitive. they are both excellent games that i love to play. if square
> changed the graphics and stuff like that for the anthology, i would be
> less likely to buy it than if they kept it the same. i dont like ff7 as
> much as ff6 bcause its more like an interactive movie than a game. its
> too linear and the graphics are prioritized over the story. square
> shouldve made the story less confusing and the ending was a total
> dissapointment for me. thanks for listening to my words. i hope at least
> some of you can relate with me, and the rest of you...i dont really give
> half a shit what kind of hate mail you send me.

I agree with you 100% my friend......I had a blast watching my friends play
FF7, mostly because it was a complete movie for me, a fwe times maybe the
story wasn't as strong, but then I just got more popcorn, came back, and
bam, i could just watch it........Story definatly should take priority, I
don't mind it being complex, but linear sucks...I enjoyed FFTatics as far as
depth...I like stories to get very very very involved, now If I could have a
straightforward Roleplaying, story liek Tatics, where I could choose things
as I wanted too.....I'd be in heaven....anyway.....I agree the story is the
most important part...
Thats why to this day my favorite final fantasy is 2j...and i still say some
of the old nintendo dragon quests (warriors)are better than ff6 or 7......

Ciao

-Joel

Trevor La Grande

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Michel Morin <roge...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> nick henderson a écrit :

> > im getting pretty sick of ppl dissing ff5 and ff6 for being graphically
> > primitive. they are both excellent games that i love to play. if square
> > changed the graphics and stuff like that for the anthology, i would be
> > less likely to buy it than if they kept it the same. i dont like ff7 as
> > much as ff6 bcause its more like an interactive movie than a game. its
> > too linear and the graphics are prioritized over the story. square
> > shouldve made the story less confusing and the ending was a total
> > dissapointment for me. thanks for listening to my words. i hope at least
> > some of you can relate with me, and the rest of you...i dont really give
> > half a shit what kind of hate mail you send me.
>
> I agree with you all over, I had a debat about that with the operator. I
> said that the story is not so original, and had linear plot. but it say
> no.

_the_ operator?
_It_ say no?
LOL! :)

Tetsuo

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
In article <bwPt3.6128$gu5.5...@news.uswest.net> , "Andy Borne"
<abo...@uswest.net> wrote:

> While I pesonally
> enjoyed that interactive movie greatly, everyone's entitled to their own
> oppinion. That is unless Tetsuo or Ryan don't agree with you.

yeah, great, go into a different mode now. Fist you go totally against any
form of standard netiquette, and now you suddenly get on with the good ol'
opinion... well, fine by me, but the one thing you have to do in every way
of living is being able to explain why you think like you think. A
definition of insanity could be not being able to do that. Also, note that
when you begin talking about opinion you could kill it all by saying "you
suck". Wtf is life when we all have our own opinions and expect ppl to
accept them without an attempt to sometimes change that opinion, which also
belongs to the capabilities of a normal human brain, you know. Sounds like
you like it the boring way. But I suppose you'll competely change your
personality again in the next post, so you can choose the easy side of the
conversation again. See ya then.

Tetsuo

Thought of the moment : hmm...

--Founder/maker of the agffr page at http://www.jps.net/jmg1

My favourite quote(s) : "We could plant a house, we could build a tree; I
don't even care, we could have all three" -- Nirvana, Breed

My favourite quote of myself : "Ever heard of a retorical question?"

Andy Borne

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Tetsuo <Boudewij...@village.uunet.be> wrote in message
<sniP>

> yeah, great, go into a different mode now. Fist you go totally against any
> form of standard netiquette, and now you suddenly get on with the good ol'
> opinion... well, fine by me, but the one thing you have to do in every way
> of living is being able to explain why you think like you think. A
> definition of insanity could be not being able to do that. Also, note that
> when you begin talking about opinion you could kill it all by saying "you
> suck". Wtf is life when we all have our own opinions and expect ppl to
> accept them without an attempt to sometimes change that opinion, which
also
> belongs to the capabilities of a normal human brain, you know. Sounds like
> you like it the boring way. But I suppose you'll competely change your
> personality again in the next post, so you can choose the easy side of the
> conversation again. See ya then.
>

> Tetsuo
<sniP>

It would take the 'talent' of Rob Cypher to go _totally_ against _any_ form
of nettiquette. But you're right about one thing, I was being totally lazy
to not filter some of those messages. I was also being lazy when I decided
I got sick of trying to explain myself in that other string, so I'd just
drop a sarcastic comment somewhere else. You were also right about me
totally changing my attitude for this message, but I'm sure you weren't
expecting this.

"I'm sick of typing"
-Andy

abo...@uswest.net
abo...@hotmail.com
Direct all spam to abbo...@yahoo.com or andy...@email.com

can't remember my ICQ and the program's not running right now
AOL IM: abborne1
Yahoo Pager: abborne1

Sheky

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Joel Van Zanten <origina...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> nick henderson <KoRnC...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> > im getting pretty sick of ppl dissing ff5 and ff6 for being graphically

> > primitive. they are both excellent games that i love to play. if square
> > changed the graphics and stuff like that for the anthology, i would be
> > less likely to buy it than if they kept it the same. i dont like ff7 as
> > much as ff6 bcause its more like an interactive movie than a game. its
> > too linear and the graphics are prioritized over the story. square
> > shouldve made the story less confusing and the ending was a total
> > dissapointment for me. thanks for listening to my words. i hope at least
> > some of you can relate with me, and the rest of you...i dont really give
> > half a shit what kind of hate mail you send me.
> >

> I agree with you 100% my friend......I had a blast watching my friends
play
> FF7, mostly because it was a complete movie for me, a fwe times maybe the
> story wasn't as strong, but then I just got more popcorn, came back, and
> bam, i could just watch it........Story definatly should take priority, I
> don't mind it being complex, but linear sucks...I enjoyed FFTatics as far
as
> depth...I like stories to get very very very involved, now If I could have
> straightforward Roleplaying, story liek Tatics, where I could choose
things
> as I wanted too.....I'd be in heaven....anyway.....I agree the story is
the
> most important part...

Have you tried Tactics Ogre? Is like FFT on crack, well, except the
graphics of course. You have real non-linearity in TO since your actions,
or inactions, actually affect the outcome of the game. There's a total of 8
different endings. Give it a try.

==================================
Slayer of rom beggars
Hater of FFVII
Empty headed student by day
Keeper of an Oasis by night
Yapper of unimportant things

ICQ 7894002

" The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt
the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw
==================================

Tetsuo

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
In article <2l%t3.823$eG1....@news.uswest.net> , "Andy Borne"
<abo...@uswest.net> wrote:

> It would take the 'talent' of Rob Cypher to go _totally_ against _any_ form
> of nettiquette. But you're right about one thing, I was being totally lazy
> to not filter some of those messages. I was also being lazy when I decided
> I got sick of trying to explain myself in that other string, so I'd just
> drop a sarcastic comment somewhere else. You were also right about me
> totally changing my attitude for this message, but I'm sure you weren't
> expecting this.

heh..you're right on that, but I never thought you were an asshole or
anything...I have the tendancy to see ppl differenty in different threads,
and I certainly dun wanna sound like some "keeper of netiquette", cause some
are longer here than I am. Just fucking forget it, I like some rumble and
apparently you don't, so I'll just bury that axe that was never there and
wait until another victim passes along to keep me busy in my boring
time-wasting days. Sorry, I guess. Just try to remember I never really
*mean* things here, this is just a game, not real. It might seem a little
bit "escaping", but I liek to keep my distance, to keep my feelings of
nerdishness under a certain level. That's also the reason why I write so
weird, like I do now...well, I won't go into a totally psychological
overhaul, but it's best not to take me serious, I just like arguments which
will lead to no victory from both sides. Ask some on #agffr all about it.

I'll have to go now, cause the live version of Lithium is coming up on the
"From the muddy banks of Wishkah" disc, and it's liekly I go into a
roaring/hitting/slashing frenzy then...

Tetsuo

Thought of the moment : grr....

--Founder/maker of the agffr page at http://www.jps.net/jmg1

My favourite quote(s) : "We could plant a house, we could build a tree; I
don't even care, we could have all three" -- Nirvana, Breed

My favourite quote of myself : "Ever heard of a rhetorical question?"

Astos

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
In article <16466-37...@newsd-173.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
KoRnC...@webtv.net (nick henderson) wrote:

> im getting pretty sick of ppl dissing ff5 and ff6 for being graphically
> primitive. they are both excellent games that i love to play. if square
> changed the graphics and stuff like that for the anthology, i would be
> less likely to buy it than if they kept it the same. i dont like ff7 as
> much as ff6 bcause its more like an interactive movie than a game. its
> too linear and the graphics are prioritized over the story. square
> shouldve made the story less confusing and the ending was a total
> dissapointment for me. thanks for listening to my words. i hope at least
> some of you can relate with me, and the rest of you...i dont really give
> half a shit what kind of hate mail you send me.

You have an interesting way of expressing your opinions, but fundamentally
I agree with them.

Then again, I'd take FF6's graphics over FF7's any day.

Dan.

--
Dan Posluns - posl...@mcmaster.ca, formerly dpos...@total.net, formerly
ke...@astral.magic.ca

"But what a mischievous thing to leave lying around... The Power of Gold...
Triforce..." - Zelda, ALTTP

"The power of the Brood is something to be respected and feared, but it
isn't enough to save or destroy the world..." - Peco, BoF3

"Hand me my lightsaber... it's the one that says, 'Bad Mother Fucker'." -
Samuel L. Jackson in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Andy Borne

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Tetsuo <Boudewij...@village.uunet.be> wrote in message
<sniP>

> heh..you're right on that, but I never thought you were an asshole or
> anything...I have the tendancy to see ppl differenty in different threads,
> and I certainly dun wanna sound like some "keeper of netiquette", cause
some
> are longer here than I am. Just fucking forget it, I like some rumble and
> apparently you don't, so I'll just bury that axe that was never there and
> wait until another victim passes along to keep me busy in my boring
> time-wasting days. Sorry, I guess. Just try to remember I never really
> *mean* things here, this is just a game, not real. It might seem a little
> bit "escaping", but I liek to keep my distance, to keep my feelings of
> nerdishness under a certain level. That's also the reason why I write so
> weird, like I do now...well, I won't go into a totally psychological
> overhaul, but it's best not to take me serious, I just like arguments
which
> will lead to no victory from both sides. Ask some on #agffr all about it.
<sniP>

Speaking of #agffr, could you tell me where to get an IRC client? I seem to
remember checking at mirc and liquidnet and finding nothing helpful.

Andy Borne

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Johnny83 <dj...@otenet.gr> wrote in message
> The only thing I agree with you is that the ending of FF7 is a total
> disapointment....
> The only thing I liked from the ending of FF7 was the final,final battle..
> (Cloud vs Sephiroth)
> You are partly right that FF7 is a kind of motion picture but
> Tell me.didn't you like the movie of the weapon hitting Midgar ,
> sister ray hitting weapon.?
> The story of FF7 is confusing enough to give you a headacke.
> - BUT -
> The whole story is shown .little by little.
> Flashback by flashback.
> Fake memories by Fake memories..
> And in the end the truth is reveiled
> I don't know for all you, but I personally liked very much
> the way FF7 retreive the real story ..
<sniP>

The Sister Ray, Diamond Weapon movie sequence is my favorite in the whole
game. I liked how FF7 revealed the story piece by piece too. Another good
thing about how Square told the story was that the more signifigant it was,
the easier it was to follow, meaning that subplots were more confusing than
the main storyline. That makes the story good for anyone, even those
moronic fanboys at agvn64.

Andy Borne

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Astos <posl...@remove.this.part.mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
<sniP>

> You have an interesting way of expressing your opinions, but fundamentally
> I agree with them.
>
> Then again, I'd take FF6's graphics over FF7's any day.
>
> Dan.

<sniP>

Why? Are you talking about sprites vs. polygons? You have to admit that
Terra/Tina looked pretty wierd doing that droopy-head thinking thing (my
vocabulary has failed me). SO2 has great sprites, except for 'distressed'
Claude, that's about the corniest thing I've ever seen.

Andy Borne

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Dogg <si...@prozak.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
<sniP>

> >KoRn kicks ass!!
>
> Really? What sort of music do they make? I've
> heard of them but...*shrugs*
<sniP>

Mostly grunge rock kind of stuff. Not too hardcore at all. I'll rip a few
songs for you, if you like.

Parasyte

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Andy Borne <abo...@uswest.net> wrote in message

> Speaking of #agffr, could you tell me where to get an IRC client? I seem to
> remember checking at mirc and liquidnet and finding nothing helpful.

Yeah, there's MS chat, uh... some others... at www.mirc.com you SHOULD be able to
download it...

uh.... PIRCH98, TurboIRC, OrbitIRC... search for IRC at download.com.

And if you really care to, I MIGHT be able to help out with a s/n, wink wink.

--
Don't mind me, just making an ass of myself once again...

--Parasyte

Creator of alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg's IRC channel, #agffr
on irc.liquidnet.org

See the AGFFR website:
http://www.jps.net/jmg1/

See, erm, another site:
http://come.to/amanda-lover

Remove -DONTSENDSTUPIDSTUFF-
to email me.

Your IP is showing

Quote of the whenever, presented by the local high school:
"You want me to give it to you"
"Yes, I do... stop thinking like that! Argh!"
--Amanda and I :)

"When 900 years old you reach, | ICQ#
Get as many chicks, you will not." | 24280209
-10 things Yoda wouldn't say |

-----BEGIN FF CODEBLOCK-----

[G](B)1(#)1,2,3,4b,5,6b,7b,Mb,T(F)7(C)Ae,Cd,Sb(V)Kf(O)+++(D)?(R)-
[P](A)=(H)+(W)=(G)M(E)gBr(T)dBk(L)= (P)CA (R)Cd

------END FF CODEBLOCK------
http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/finalfantasy/363/auto_ffcode.html

http://www.geekcode.com

--THE CHEATER'S FRONT--
This Copy'n'Paste text symbolizes that the person who Copies and Pastes
it into their sig is a proud member of THE CHEATER'S FRONT, people who
are not ashamed to admit that they cheat the #%!@# out of games...pretty
much the exact opposite, in fact. We're PROUD to say that when there's
no hope in sight, when you run out of ammo, and when that boss seems
impossibly hard, there's only one solution...TO CHEAT!!
--THE CHEATER'S FRONT--

Johnny83

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
The only thing I agree with you is that the ending of FF7 is a total
disapointment....
The only thing I liked from the ending of FF7 was the final,final battle..
(Cloud vs Sephiroth)
You are partly right that FF7 is a kind of motion picture but
Tell me.didn't you like the movie of the weapon hitting Midgar ,
sister ray hitting weapon.?
The story of FF7 is confusing enough to give you a headacke.
- BUT -
The whole story is shown .little by little.
Flashback by flashback.
Fake memories by Fake memories..
And in the end the truth is reveiled
I don't know for all you, but I personally liked very much
the way FF7 retreive the real story ..

That's all I had to say..
Ta-ta

Johnny83

Kurono

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
> Speaking of #agffr, could you tell me where to get an IRC client? I seem to
> remember checking at mirc and liquidnet and finding nothing helpful.

You found nothing at mirc? http://www.mirc.co.uk ?
There's definitely an IRC client there, version 5.6 IIRC

--

-Graham aka Chrono aka Kurono

(Hmm, this list is growing)

ICQ#: 38239556

---

"It's time I had some quotes." - Me

"The Country Life and Family! If you have too many kids, you'll run out
of food, so try cold showers." - Bookshelf in Shining Force 3

"Oh my! There is some amazing underwear in here!" - Upon searching a
shelf in Shining Force 3

---

Why not visit http://www.chrono.freeserve.co.uk/ ?
It's better than, erm, something worse

Operator

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Michel Morin wrote in message <37B8602E...@sympatico.ca>...
>nick henderson a écrit :

>> im getting pretty sick of ppl dissing ff5 and ff6 for being graphically
>> primitive. they are both excellent games that i love to play. if square
>> changed the graphics and stuff like that for the anthology, i would be
>> less likely to buy it than if they kept it the same. i dont like ff7 as
>> much as ff6 bcause its more like an interactive movie than a game. its
>> too linear and the graphics are prioritized over the story. square
>> shouldve made the story less confusing and the ending was a total
>> dissapointment for me. thanks for listening to my words. i hope at least
>> some of you can relate with me, and the rest of you...i dont really give
>> half a shit what kind of hate mail you send me.
>
>I agree with you all over, I had a debat about that with the operator. I
>said that the story is not so original, and had linear plot. but it say
>no.

It? I'm a human being here. At least give me the respect of a 'he', even if
you don't agree with what I say. First off, Linear plot and unoriginal story
is, in this context, exactly the same thing. If you liked FF6's story, and
FF7 is supposedly the same, but with better graphics, I can't see how you
can rate FF7 over FF6.

>But much more, i gived reason who make FF7 had the similare outline of
>FF6.

But is it not possible that FF7's execution of the story was better?

Operator
Man without a sig,

Andy Borne

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Parasyte <-DONTSENDSTUPID...@jps.net> wrote in message

> Andy Borne <abo...@uswest.net> wrote in message
> >

> > Speaking of #agffr, could you tell me where to get an IRC client? I
seem to
> > remember checking at mirc and liquidnet and finding nothing helpful.
> >

> Yeah, there's MS chat, uh... some others... at www.mirc.com you SHOULD be
able to
> download it...
>
> uh.... PIRCH98, TurboIRC, OrbitIRC... search for IRC at download.com.

So that's what MSChat does. I've had it forever but have never used it

> And if you really care to, I MIGHT be able to help out with a s/n, wink
wink.

Screen Name? I suppose you would be refering to the fact that you are the
#agffr founder. If that's what it is, then of course. Otherwise you'll
need to tell me what you mean.

<sniP>

Nate Lund

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
well, i would have to agree with you 100%:) In FF7, the story was linear,
unorigional, and a little stale in my opinion. It wasnt bad, but it was far
under what i was hoping for. And right now looking at FF8, i'm not too
enthused. I really wish they could get their old character designer back (i
cant quite recall his name...Amano something was it?). What happened with
that guy? was he fired? did he leave? All i know is he didnt die (i saw some
of his work on the game Kartia...the game is ok). Personall, i would love to
see a FF game 100% hand-drawn, and if square absolutely has to have pre-
rendered CG, they might as well use artists that gvie their CG work style
and character. Igor Posavec would do nicely (or myself perhaps...nah, i'm
not quite that good yet;) I have another gripe with the way the FF series
is going; the battle system is going totally downhill. What has happened
when characters can use only one type of weapon?? I would really like it if
there was more flexibility with that. for example, bigger, more burly type
characters can use large broadswords and battle axes, while the physically
weaker characters use small swords, knives, and bows. etc, etc... also, i
dont agree with the magic system. Simply finding materia orb thingies just
doesnt cut it for me. I think it would be much better if you had to research
texts for spells, use certain charms, and even mix alchemy a little (for the
characters without the natural ability to use magic). i think that could
make for some great side quests to search for an ancient lost text, charm or
artifact (or maybe there happens to be a magical giant tree hidden
somewhere, or the ghost of a once great wizard leads you to some ancient
ruins where you decipher glyphs on the pillars..i dunno,use your
imagination)
also, i didnt mind the "confusing" story. If you want confusing and complex,
try Xenogears, or FFT.
well, i'm tired of typing...
--Nate Lund
P.S. to whoever said "KoRn Kicks Ass" i would like to respond with "KoRn is
OK, Nirvana and Rage Against the Machine kick ass :)"

Favorite Quote: "Have you ever wondered if Satan has a jagged, firey penis?"
-Trevor Hiley, a close friend
Personal Quote: "I won!!" excitedly whispered to the man handing me my
highschool diploma
Coolest thing I ever did: in my german class (of about 8 people) i whipped
out a can of Easy-Cheese in the middle of a lecture, and proceded to spray
hallf the can into my mouth while the teacher watched with her jaw at her
knees. Then i got yelled at.

-**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

Operator

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Nate Lund wrote in message ...

[Massive slice]

Not to be pretentious or anything, but if you implement all that stuff above
at once, it would no longer be "Final Fantasy". If you don't like the
series, you could always try one of the other games closer to what you're
describing. Final Fantasy is pretty much going to stay the way it is.

Nate Lund

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

" Not to be pretentious or anything, but if you implement all that stuff
above at once, it would no longer be "Final Fantasy". If you don't like the
series, you could
always try one of the other games closer to what you're describing.
Final Fantasy is pretty much going to stay the way it is.

Operator Man without a sig,"

Yeah i know exactly what you mean. I guess i'm just trying to say that if a
game is to evolve, it means much more than prettier graphics. And the thing
is, its just not Final Fantasy anymore. I think they added way too much
futuristic crap. Now i dont mind that much, but its just that totally uneven
mix that just messes with my head. In a single battle you will have one
character with a giant sword, one character with a gun, and another with a
microphone. What's going on? And the characters with this odd mix of weapons
can use ONLY their kind of weapon (play FF2 and you'll see this is different
from FF7). And what would be so wrong if they added a little extra to the
magic system? Now they dont have to use the alchemy and texts idea i had
(in fact i agree that would be changing it a little too much to call it
Final Fantasy anymore) but there is something unorigional that i find about
"magic orbs." And as for the art in the game, i'm going to stand 100% to
exactly what i said. This game screams to be gloriously beautiful,
expressive, hand-drawn 2D, or at least pre-rendered 3D with a little more
life to it. But the prerendered graphics dont bother me as much as the
ugly, blocky realtime 3D characters. They deserve more graphical attention
than that. I mean, is it really a graphical improvement from the squashed
characters of FF6? Not much.
So i'm saying that FF7 definetly isnt an improvement from FF6. The graphics
were overhauled TONS (with acception for the characters) but everything else
just went screwy.
--Nate Lund

Kurono

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
> cant quite recall his name...Amano something was it?). What happened with
> that guy?

Yoshitaka Amano, he worked on FF7 too.

Michel Morin

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Operator a écrit :
> Operator
> Man without a sig,

Sorry for the mistake, I think you are a human being, all person who can
have an opinion and argue on it is an human, but i'm not good in
anglish, and it is a big mistake from my part. I really don't do this in
the goal to insult you.

For the FF6 and 7, yes the story is not much more good, but i played it
first, it's like go see two similare movie, regularly, it's the first
one you saw that you will love much more.

Roger666 "Welcome to Oblivion..."

Michel Morin

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Nate Lund a écrit :

> well, i would have to agree with you 100%:) In FF7, the story was linear,
> unorigional, and a little stale in my opinion. It wasnt bad, but it was far
> under what i was hoping for. And right now looking at FF8, i'm not too
> enthused. I really wish they could get their old character designer back (i
> cant quite recall his name...Amano something was it?). What happened with
> Favorite Quote: "Have you ever wondered if Satan has a jagged, firey penis?"
> -Trevor Hiley, a close friend
>
> Personal Quote: "I won!!" excitedly whispered to the man handing me my
> highschool diploma
>
> Coolest thing I ever did: in my german class (of about 8 people) i whipped
> out a can of Easy-Cheese in the middle of a lecture, and proceded to spray
> hallf the can into my mouth while the teacher watched with her jaw at her
> knees. Then i got yelled at.
>
> -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
> Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

Like the other say, if this come like this, it won't be an FF.

But with i agree, the engine and caractere become to be some kind of
deception, but who remmeber the FF4, i liked it's systeme of magic.

the difference in caracter is good, for my part ff6 and 7 lack this,
eccept for the limit. Difference in magic point, hit point, strengh and
other caracteristique, like FF1 and FF4, because now, nothing direct me
toward a caracter in particular to choose, except the limit.

Roger666 "Welcome to Oblivion..."

Astos

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
In article <4A2u3.980$eG1.1...@news.uswest.net>, "Andy Borne"
<abo...@uswest.net> wrote:

Actually, I was amazed at the detail of the sprites in FF6, and how well
they managed to convey the actions and emotions of the characters. I was
NOT particularly impressed by the non-battle polygonal graphics of FF7;
they failed to give me any form of good impression.

Don't get me wrong, I believe polygons can be even more effective than
sprites under the right circumstances (Zelda 64 blew me away). It's
comparing apples and oranges; they both have their own distinct features
and advantages.

Brian Chau

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Astos <posl...@remove.this.part.mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
> Actually, I was amazed at the detail of the sprites in FF6, and how well
> they managed to convey the actions and emotions of the characters. I was
> NOT particularly impressed by the non-battle polygonal graphics of FF7;
> they failed to give me any form of good impression.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I believe polygons can be even more effective than
> sprites under the right circumstances (Zelda 64 blew me away). It's
> comparing apples and oranges; they both have their own distinct features
> and advantages.

3D has enough potential to surpass both sprites and prerendered 3D. However,
many developers seem too lazy to just put more than a few polygons and 3 or
4 colors onto them.

Astos

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
In article <mXlu3.499$2j2....@news.flash.net>, "Brian Chau"
<poo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I disagree. Pre-rendered 3D perhaps, but sprites constitute two-dimensional
artwork, and 2D and 3D artwork are NOT the same thing. Does Michaelangelo's
David surpass Da Vinci's Mona Lisa because it's a statue (3D) and not a
painting (2D)? You need to consider each form based on its own merits.

Andy Borne

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Astos <posl...@remove.this.part.mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
<sniP>

> Actually, I was amazed at the detail of the sprites in FF6, and how well
> they managed to convey the actions and emotions of the characters. I was
> NOT particularly impressed by the non-battle polygonal graphics of FF7;
> they failed to give me any form of good impression.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I believe polygons can be even more effective than
> sprites under the right circumstances (Zelda 64 blew me away). It's
> comparing apples and oranges; they both have their own distinct features
> and advantages.
>
> Dan.

<sniP>

Best sprites in an RPG: Star Ocean 2
Best Polygons in an RPG: Jade Cocoon

Michael Mayo

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
In article <16466-37...@newsd-173.iap.bryant.webtv.net> ,
KoRnC...@webtv.net (nick henderson) wrote:

> i dont like ff7 as
> much as ff6 bcause its more like an interactive movie than a game. its
> too linear and the graphics are prioritized over the story

I agree that it is a little like an interactive movie, and that's why I
like it. Many games emphasize gameplay (killing things, finding things,
etc) over storyline. FF7 is the only game I've played that puts the story
in its proper place - at the forefront.

>square
> shouldve made the story less confusing and the ending was a total
> dissapointment for me.

Simple storylines annoy the heck out of me. What is the point of
playing a game when you know exactly what it is you're going to be doing
from day 1? My favorite thing about FF7 is the mystery; you're never sure
exactly what's going on or why. The plot unravels as you play it.

As for the ending, I haven't finished it yet, so I can't comment on it.
=)

-Mike

Nate Lund

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
"3D has enough potential to surpass both sprites and prerendered 3D.
However, many developers seem too lazy to just put more than a few polygons
and 3 or
4 colors onto them"

Sorry, but it is impossible for 3D to surpass sprites. They're two seperate
things. Its like saying "One day somebody will create an ASCII image so
detailed that it will surpass all known forms metal sculpture known to date"
the styles are just too different to call one better than the other. And
Realtime 3D will never surpass pre-rendered. Sure it might get better than
what pre-rendered stuff looks like today (in fact i'm quite sure of that)
but in my opinion anything pre-rendered will beat (even if just slightly)
what is rendering in real time.

Brian Chau

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

Astos <posl...@remove.this.part.mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
> In article <mXlu3.499$2j2....@news.flash.net>, "Brian Chau"
> <poo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Astos <posl...@remove.this.part.mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
> > 3D has enough potential to surpass both sprites and prerendered 3D.
However,
> > many developers seem too lazy to just put more than a few polygons and 3
or
> > 4 colors onto them.
>
> I disagree. Pre-rendered 3D perhaps, but sprites constitute
two-dimensional
> artwork, and 2D and 3D artwork are NOT the same thing. Does
Michaelangelo's
> David surpass Da Vinci's Mona Lisa because it's a statue (3D) and not a
> painting (2D)? You need to consider each form based on its own merits.

3D rendering in games and is different from 3D in reality because 3D in
games is only virtual. 3D models are capable of replacing sprites in games
without many drawbacks if enough detail was added to 3D models.

Brian Chau

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

Nate Lund <nl...@frostbitten.com> wrote in message

> "3D has enough potential to surpass both sprites and prerendered 3D.
> However, many developers seem too lazy to just put more than a few
polygons
> and 3 or
> 4 colors onto them"
>
> Sorry, but it is impossible for 3D to surpass sprites. They're two
seperate
> things. Its like saying "One day somebody will create an ASCII image so
> detailed that it will surpass all known forms metal sculpture known to
date"
> the styles are just too different to call one better than the other. And
> Realtime 3D will never surpass pre-rendered. Sure it might get better than
> what pre-rendered stuff looks like today (in fact i'm quite sure of that)
> but in my opinion anything pre-rendered will beat (even if just slightly)
> what is rendering in real time.

3D to surpass sprites in terms of capability. Prerendered 3D in some cases
is a sprite. 3D models are in many ways a sprite, too. However, 2D sprites
can not be readily manipulated as 3D objects are. However, many companies
will probably use 3D as sort of a gimmick for years to come. Prerendered 3D
is almost exactly the same as ordinary 3D except it has already been
rendered to save processing power because many end user 3D graphics boards
are not advanced enough to do 3D at that high of quality. One day 3D
technology for the end user will be advanced enough that prerendered 3D may
be unnecssary due to the processing power of the card. Unless 3D models are
expected to be of little use in whatever program they are used in and don't
want to use 3D as just a big gimmick they will use prerendered 3D.

Dogg

Bobby Edwards

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
FF6/FF3 US was a more satisfying game than FF7 because of it's
story...it had a purpose to it.

FF7 ending left you feeling defeated, and the story was really sort of
stupid.

[the villian is a clone of the original villian with ancient alien cells
injected as he was in his mother's womb. The hero is a clone of the
original villian, but deludes himself into having the memories of a guy
named Zack, out of jealousy....c'mon]

I vote for story over graphics

Johnny83

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
You are right Astos.
The non-battle FF7 polygons sucks..
And something else.
Another bad thing is the messed up way of the appearance of the characters
What do I mean is:
We control plain polygoned based Characters on playable land
We see high polygoned characters on battle.
We see low polygons characters on video
(Cloud at junon port If I remember well.)
We see very high polygoned characters on video
I believe it's a mess up.
It would have been a LOT,LOT,LOT,LOT better
if in all situations(battle,video,land) the characters had one form.
E.g the high polygoned ones.

Johnny83

Brian Chau

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99

Bobby Edwards <Bob...@webtv.net> wrote in message

[the villian is a clone of the original villian with ancient alien cells
injected as he was in his mother's womb. The hero is a clone of the
original villian, but deludes himself into having the memories of a guy
named Zack, out of jealousy....c'mon]

The villain is the real one, not a clone.

Terence Fergusson

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
In article <25374-37...@newsd-198.iap.bryant.webtv.net>, Bobby
Edwards <Bob...@webtv.net> scribed:

>FF6/FF3 US was a more satisfying game than FF7 because of it's
>story...it had a purpose to it.
>
>FF7 ending left you feeling defeated, and the story was really sort of
>stupid.
>
>[the villian is a clone of the original villian with ancient alien cells
>injected as he was in his mother's womb. The hero is a clone of the
>original villian, but deludes himself into having the memories of a guy
>named Zack, out of jealousy....c'mon]

The villian is not a clone; the real villian is Jenova. Sephiroth is
Sephiroth; you meet the 'clones' who are controlled by Sephiroth, but
they are neither villians nor really Sephiroth.

Also, Cloud is *not* a clone of Sephiroth; that's a lie of Hojo's. He
*is* however, fused with the same process as the 'clones' were (who are
not really clones either, just Soldiers implanted with Jenova cells).

>I vote for story over graphics

Not so. I think you're voting for 'understandable' story over graphics.
While that's all well and good, FF7's story isn't really that stupid....
just a bit difficult to work out.

Still, I'd now place Xenogears story over all.... I'm loving it.

Ciao,
Terence Fergusson
-- Student of Advanced Murphodynamics

"Yes, yes, I *know* that, Sidney... *Every*body knows *that*... But look:
Four wrongs *squared*, minus two wrongs to the fourth power, divided by this
formula, *do* make a right!"

Bobby Edwards

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
I still get mixed up with that...I thought Cloud was a failed Seph.
clone w Jenova cells.

Is that 'frozen' Seph. at the beginning of disc 2 the same one who
sliced Aeris??? I thought they were 2 different Seph's...

Elonna

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
>From: KoRnC...@webtv.net (nick henderson)

>im getting pretty sick of ppl dissing ff5 and ff6 for being graphically
>primitive.

I have no problem with the graphics. I find them quaint and appealing.

>if square
>changed the graphics and stuff like that for the anthology, i would be
>less likely to buy it than if they kept it the same.

I'd be more likely to buy it, since I've already played FF3 several times, so
IMO that sort of change would be cool. It would be neat to have the same
storyline, while running around in the sort of town you see in Xenogears. I
don't value graphics more than storyline though. I certainly don't value FF7
more than "primitive" FF3 (US). But if a game has great graphics + great
storyline, I'm happy. I'll probably buy FF Anthology used.

Elonna :P

Operator

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99

Bobby Edwards wrote in message
<12154-37...@newsd-199.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

>I still get mixed up with that...I thought Cloud was a >failed Seph.
>clone w Jenova cells.

I'm not too clear on that one either, actually. I know he has cells, though,
which is why he was drawn to the reunion and Sephy was able to screw around
with his mind.

>Is that 'frozen' Seph. at the beginning of disc 2 the >same one who
>sliced Aeris???

No. Frozen Sephy stays that way until the end, where he becomes the OWA and
promptly gets whacked by KOR. The one
who stabs Aeris is a clone.

>I thought they were 2 different Seph's...

From what I understand, there are about 12, but none of them are real. The
real one's frozen in the crater, having died at Nibelheim.
Hojo decided to clone him, and inject them all with Jenova cells.

Operator
Man without a sig.

http://www.newsfeeds.com The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----

Brian Chau

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99

Operator <oper...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Bobby Edwards wrote in message
> <12154-37...@newsd-199.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
> >I still get mixed up with that...I thought Cloud was a >failed Seph.
> >clone w Jenova cells.
>
> I'm not too clear on that one either, actually. I know he has cells,
though,
> which is why he was drawn to the reunion and Sephy was able to screw
around
> with his mind.

Hojo says he's a failed Sephiroth clone (Northern Crater). Sephiroth says
Cloud's a failed Sephiroth clone (again, at the Northern Crater).

> >Is that 'frozen' Seph. at the beginning of disc 2 the >same one who
> >sliced Aeris???
>
> No. Frozen Sephy stays that way until the end, where he becomes the OWA
and
> promptly gets whacked by KOR. The one
> who stabs Aeris is a clone.

I always thought there was just one Sephiroth. I thought that after a long
sleep at the bottom of the Nibelheim reactor, Sephiroth wakes up and makes
Cloud get the Black Materia and follow him to the Promised Land where
Sephiroth could gather enough energy to be able to use the Black Materia. I
don't think Sephiroth ever froze. That green stuff around him doesn't look
cold at all (no dew, no frost forming anywhere). It just looks like Seffie
is in stasis or meditating or something. If the guy who stabbed Aeris was a
clone, he would be doing some major stuttering not to mention that there
would be a big time Sephiroth against Sephiroth duel at the Whirlwind Maze.

> >I thought they were 2 different Seph's...
>
> From what I understand, there are about 12, but none of them are real. The
> real one's frozen in the crater, having died at Nibelheim.
> Hojo decided to clone him, and inject them all with Jenova cells.

The clones seem to be those black hooded guys who keep falling off the
ledges at the Reunion.

Terence Fergusson

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
In article <93Dv3.205$A32...@news.flash.net>, Brian Chau
<poo...@hotmail.com> scribed:

>> >I thought they were 2 different Seph's...
>>
>> From what I understand, there are about 12, but none of them are real. The
>> real one's frozen in the crater, having died at Nibelheim.
>> Hojo decided to clone him, and inject them all with Jenova cells.
>>

>The clones seem to be those black hooded guys who keep falling off the
>ledges at the Reunion.

Note: The word 'clone' is misused.... yet oddly appropriate. What it
means is that all these guys underwent the same treatment as Sephiroth
(but at a lower level). They were infused with Mako and injected with
Jenova cells.

Cloud is only a 'failed' clone, because he didn't react well to the
treatment, which left him completely out of it. As he said; he was too
weak to join Soldier, and his instability after the infusion made Hojo
think he was a failure.

Zack's also a 'Sephiroth' clone I guess, since he got the same
treatment, but he died before anything about the Reunion could happen to
him.

Brian Chau

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99

Terence Fergusson <t...@isla-mia.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <93Dv3.205$A32...@news.flash.net>, Brian Chau
> <poo...@hotmail.com> scribed:
> >
> >The clones seem to be those black hooded guys who keep falling off the
> >ledges at the Reunion.
>
> Note: The word 'clone' is misused.... yet oddly appropriate. What it
> means is that all these guys underwent the same treatment as Sephiroth
> (but at a lower level). They were infused with Mako and injected with
> Jenova cells.
>
> Cloud is only a 'failed' clone, because he didn't react well to the
> treatment, which left him completely out of it. As he said; he was too
> weak to join Soldier, and his instability after the infusion made Hojo
> think he was a failure.
>
> Zack's also a 'Sephiroth' clone I guess, since he got the same
> treatment, but he died before anything about the Reunion could happen to
> him.

I think the "clones" had a much higher dosage of Jenova cells and Mako than
what was used for normal members of SOLDIER. Thats probably why the guys in
SOLDIER didn't follow. The reaction to Jenova probably wasn't strong enough
to make them drag themselves to the Reunion.