Experience loss for dying

1 view

slapfish

Dec 7, 2002, 12:21:32 PM12/7/02
I thought that when you died you always lost the same amount of exp. 10%.
It seems like this is about right except last night I died in Crystal
Caverns when I was mobbed by spiders, but I only lost 5%. I know exactly
how much it was because I have a custom UI that gives the amount of exp in
percentages and I had 12% before I died and 7% when I came to at my bind
point. Are there some zones that give you less exp penalty? or was it
because I was killed by greens? Or maybe the level I died at? Do you lose
only 5% when you die after 50?

Any ideas?

Matt

Dec 7, 2002, 3:28:17 PM12/7/02
sorry, I don't have an answer to your question
But I'm curious, what UI are you using?

jodakim

Dec 7, 2002, 3:53:19 PM12/7/02
I use Oguler's beastlord UI and that one not only shows exp and AA
percentages, but has giant exp and AA bars (about half the width of a
1280x960 screen) across the top of the EQ screen.

"Matt" <passa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

slapfish

Dec 7, 2002, 7:30:26 PM12/7/02

Matt <passa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> sorry, I don't have an answer to your question
> But I'm curious, what UI are you using?

The item that shows the exact percentages is a group box that also includes
my stats and my pets stats all in the same window. The file is called
YouNgroupNpet but I can't remember exactly where I downloaded it. I think
it was posted on Romelio's website that is linked from the T.King forum:

http://pub10.ezboard.com/fmaximus94788frm10.showMessage?topicID=74.topic

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Dark Tyger

Dec 7, 2002, 7:56:51 PM12/7/02
"slapfish" <slap...@yahoo.com> wrote:

The amount of xp lost on death is a fixed percentage based off of the
amount it took to get through your previous level. Once you pass 50,
xp costs to level take a dramatic upswing. The % of xp to get through
51 that's lost when you died is less, but that's only because it costs
so much more to get through 51 than it did to get through 50. This
effect was also visible during hell levels and in reverse post-hell
levels before they smoothed them out (which caused the illusion of the
level being a "mini-level", and there were those who would argue til
they were blue in the face that it cost less to get through 46 than
47, 48, and 49...).

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Email me at comcast.net
=^..^=

"There are no happy endings because nothing ever ends" -Schmendric, The Last Unicorn

Kahir Rhom, 51 Vah Shir Primalist
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=347423

slapfish

Dec 8, 2002, 2:01:53 AM12/8/02

> The amount of xp lost on death is a fixed percentage based off of the
> amount it took to get through your previous level. Once you pass 50,
> xp costs to level take a dramatic upswing. The % of xp to get through
> 51 that's lost when you died is less, but that's only because it costs
> so much more to get through 51 than it did to get through 50. This
> effect was also visible during hell levels and in reverse post-hell
> levels before they smoothed them out (which caused the illusion of the
> level being a "mini-level", and there were those who would argue til
> they were blue in the face that it cost less to get through 46 than
> 47, 48, and 49...).

So it takes twice as much exp to get from 51-52 as it did from 50-51?
Because losing 5% is half of what I lost when I died at 50. That is
discouraging. You know I think I'll just fake myself out and enjoy the
thought that you lose less exp for dying at 51.

Dark Tyger

Dec 8, 2002, 2:57:19 AM12/8/02
"slapfish" <slap...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Pretty much. And it gets worse, from what I hear. At level 50, I was
getting slightly less than 1% xp per seafurby (every now and then one
wouldn't bump the % up one). At level 51, it was taking 2-3 seafurbies
for 1% xp.

Tim Smith

Dec 8, 2002, 4:30:37 AM12/8/02
In article <uv4c4b3...@corp.supernews.com>, slapfish wrote:
> I thought that when you died you always lost the same amount of exp. 10%.

It's a fixed percentage of the XP needed for the *previous* level, not the
current level. This is why, when there were big "hell levels" that it was
very bad to die in the level *after* a hell level.

So, if you current level takes significantly more XP than your previous
level, death will be a smaller percentage XP loss than it was during the
previous level.

--Tim Smith

Davian

Dec 8, 2002, 12:29:00 PM12/8/02

"Tim Smith" <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message

Also of note is that when the Hell Levels were "smoothed out", they did not
adjust the death penalties. They stated that they felt that if they mucked
with it, it would introduce exploits where getting rezed would grant
experience above what was lost. So you still lose more or less exeperience
based on whether the level used to be a hell level or not. Dying in 46 is
still much worse than 45, and dying in 45 is much less of a penalty than
dying in 44.

Dark Tyger

Dec 8, 2002, 12:30:19 PM12/8/02
"Davian" <dav...@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote:

>Also of note is that when the Hell Levels were "smoothed out", they did not
>adjust the death penalties. They stated that they felt that if they mucked
>with it, it would introduce exploits where getting rezed would grant
>experience above what was lost. So you still lose more or less exeperience
>based on whether the level used to be a hell level or not. Dying in 46 is
>still much worse than 45, and dying in 45 is much less of a penalty than
>dying in 44.

Not from my experience. I don't recall any official statements in
regards to what you mentioned, either. I honestly don't see how losing
less experience when dying at 46 would make the exploit you talk about
possible. If anything, you'd end up regaining LESS than you lost (If
rezzes restoring xp worked off of the same calculation) if you died
right before the change then waited to get rezzed after.

Davian

Dec 8, 2002, 12:57:32 PM12/8/02

"Dark Tyger" <dark...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Davian" <dav...@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >Also of note is that when the Hell Levels were "smoothed out", they did
not
> >adjust the death penalties. They stated that they felt that if they
mucked
> >with it, it would introduce exploits where getting rezed would grant
> >experience above what was lost. So you still lose more or less
exeperience
> >based on whether the level used to be a hell level or not. Dying in 46
is
> >still much worse than 45, and dying in 45 is much less of a penalty than
> >dying in 44.
>
> Not from my experience. I don't recall any official statements in
> regards to what you mentioned, either. I honestly don't see how losing
> less experience when dying at 46 would make the exploit you talk about
> possible. If anything, you'd end up regaining LESS than you lost (If
> rezzes restoring xp worked off of the same calculation) if you died
> right before the change then waited to get rezzed after.

http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=4526

PATCH MESSAGE, SEPTEMBER 4, 2002

Experience Changes

- We have smoothed out level progression from 50-60. This should mitigate
the "penalty effect" that occurs in levels 51, 54 and 59. Note that it will
cost the same experience to level from 50 to 60 as it did before.

- Also, death experience loss will appear different in some levels. This is
an unfortunate side effect that must remain to prevent some experience
exploits.

--
Dearic <Arbiters>

Dwarven Overlord on E'ci

Dan Day

Dec 8, 2002, 3:50:10 PM12/8/02
On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:57:32 -0500, "Davian" <dav...@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote:

>- Also, death experience loss will appear different in some levels. This is
>an unfortunate side effect that must remain to prevent some experience
>exploits.

Bizarre. I don't see how this could have caused a problem
with rezzes, since as I understand it when you die "X" points
of experience are removed from your character and "stored"
on your corpse.

Then when you get an "N" percent rez, it simply hands you back
N percent of X.

Regardless of how much exp it chose to remove from you when
you died at any point, that wouldn't allow you to ever
regain more exp than you lost, and there would be no possible
exploits.

Shrom

Dec 8, 2002, 6:25:50 PM12/8/02
On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:01:53 -0700, "slapfish" <slap...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

In reality, thanks to those running the program showeq, No matter what
Sony said it was found out they modified the amount of xp you received
from a mob based on level from 51-60, The xp point requirement for
each level were left as they were that's why no one had a "patch ding"
and your xp bar was right where it was pre patch. This has been
covered before but its done some interesting things to AA points and
death penalties. For instance to smooth out level 54 you receive more
xp per mob killed due to a level modifier. Now the question was did
this carry over to AA and it seems it does. A mob killed at 53 or 55
grants fewer AA points than one killed at 54. So if you are building
AAs then 51, 54, and 59 become the preferred levels. Course you get
such a boost from 60 that no one wants to AA at 59. This was seen
following the xp nerf patch a few months ago but it was a small issue
at the time. Now what this does to the death penalty is to increase
its effect on the level following one of the old hell levels, you will
still get the same old hit but each mob killed will grant less xp due
to the level modifier, so rezes are much more important now. Cant say
for sure what the rez exploit was without the hard date from showeq
and I've never seen it. Now what they have tweaked since I cant say
since showeq been a bit nerfed lately.

In short they picked perhaps the worst way to fix the problem they
could find from a player view point and blew tons of smoke to cover
it. Just remember the xp point costs of each level are the same they
always were, there has been no change to those, and go from there.

BoomiBC

Dec 19, 2002, 5:06:12 AM12/19/02

Dark Tyger <dark...@nowhere.com> schrieb in im

> The amount of xp lost on death is a fixed percentage based off of the
> amount it took to get through your previous level.

AHHHH!!!! Yay, that brings light in the dark. TY darktyger. I always thought
its based on the xp you need for your current level. But i couldnt figure
out why post old hell level u lost THAT much xp on a death or in the old
lvl60. Brought me to the belief that there is somehwere a lvl dynamic table
of XP loss in the single levels :p. Well thats explained now. )))

Venerable Boomi Archon of Brell Serilis
Proud Leader of the Bushido Clan (Drinal)