Help on How to Use 'Mesmerize' (Enchanter)

Malvolin

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

Florian Bodenseher <f-bode...@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:a0O%4.33722$yR.4...@news.chello.at...
> Hi,
>
> I'm a LV 14 gnomish enchanter and I'm not sure I know how to use
> Mezmerise correctly.

Use Mesmerize after a group of mobs has attacked your party, and simply Mes
the mob(s) that your party is not concentrating on at the time; just be sure
to tell them which one(s) you've Mezzed so that they don't atack them. As
far as crowd control before the pull, use Lull/Soothe/Calm, whichever you
have. However, if you have a Druid in your party that understands that
there's more to being a Druid than casting Careless Lighting and buffing
him/herself., Harmony will probably work better in an outdoor situation.

I'm not an enchanter(yet, that's the next class I'd like to play in a
long-term manner tho), but that's kinda what I've observed through grouping
with both classes as my Necro or my Cleric.

Florian Bodenseher

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

I'm a LV 14 gnomish enchanter and I'm not sure I know how to use
Mezmerise correctly.

We've been camping derv 2 in No Ro last night with a party. 5 spawns.
I tried to fullfil my role as enchanter - group control.

But most of the time, when I cast Mezmerise on a derv, all other four
attacked.

After about 30 sec to a min, the one I've mesmerized joins the fight.

It wasn't a big deal as we were a full party and could whack all five
of them at once, but I'd like to learn my role and had a feeling I
wasn't really effectively controlling the mobs.

In comparison, the Harmony spell of the druid worked perfectly,
resulting in only one pull.

Do I miss a point here?

-Florian

Coruk
LV 14 Enchanter
Solusek Ro

Mr Foo Bar

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

Malvolin <te...@test.com> wrote in message

> Florian Bodenseher <f-bode...@gmx.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a LV 14 gnomish enchanter and I'm not sure I know how to use
> > Mezmerise correctly.
>

> Use Mesmerize after a group of mobs has attacked your party, and simply
Mes
> the mob(s) that your party is not concentrating on at the time; just be
sure
> to tell them which one(s) you've Mezzed so that they don't atack them.

Yes.

> As
> far as crowd control before the pull, use Lull/Soothe/Calm, whichever you
> have.

No!!!!! Forget lull/soothe/calm they don't work. All you'll do is aggro the
camp.

> However, if you have a Druid in your party that understands that
> there's more to being a Druid than casting Careless Lighting and buffing
> him/herself., Harmony will probably work better in an outdoor situation.

*Nod*

> I'm not an enchanter(yet, that's the next class I'd like to play in a
> long-term manner tho), but that's kinda what I've observed through
grouping
> with both classes as my Necro or my Cleric.

I am an enchanter :-). Err well *I* am not, obviously, but I play a level 37
'chanter.

Dan Harmon

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

Florian Bodenseher <f-bode...@gmx.net> wrote in message

The main thing to remember is that Mez isn't a pulling tool. It's a tool
that keeps people alive AFTER the pull. Your level 16 AE Mesmerization
(start looking & auctioning for page 26 left & right, now! Going price is
around 5p per side...get more than one of each if possible) would still suck
as a pulling tool, put I guess it would work in a pinch.

Also, it's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT for your group to realize that they CANNOT
fight more than one critter at a time. It's extremely important to
designate the primary tank (it may or may not be the puller) and to
religiously use the /ASSIST command to assist that tank.

The tank's primary duty is to kill a critter. The secondary duty is to keep
the enchanter alive & free to cast spells. With an enchanter in the group,
it's then THEIR (then enchanter) responsibility to keep the healer (and
other casters) alive by keeping critters off him (mezzed). Tanks need to be
educated (they're not very smart, but we love 'em anyway) NOT to taunt/hit
the critters beating on casters as that messes up our Mez.

Newer players know extremely little about the power of enchanters. I know
that I had a hell of a lot of learning to do even before I created my
enchanter, and a hell of a lot MORE after creating him. I'm only level 21
and learn something new every day.

That /assist command is probably one of the most important commands in the
game. THE most important during a fight.

Chris Hoeh

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

Dan Harmon <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> The tank's primary duty is to kill a critter. The secondary duty is to
keep
> the enchanter alive & free to cast spells. With an enchanter in the
group,
> it's then THEIR (then enchanter) responsibility to keep the healer (and
> other casters) alive by keeping critters off him (mezzed). Tanks need to
be
> educated (they're not very smart, but we love 'em anyway) NOT to taunt/hit
> the critters beating on casters as that messes up our Mez.

Learning not to hit mezzed mobs is a "good thing", but not taunting them?
Why not?
After mob A is dead, if mob B is still mezzed, I've always heard I should
taunt it a few times before I attack it, gets the critter angry at me
without breaking mez, hopefully forgetting about the enchanter than mezzed
it a minute ago so it'll stay on me when we attack it.

Dan Harmon

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

Chris Hoeh <ch...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Learning not to hit mezzed mobs is a "good thing", but not taunting them?
> Why not?
> After mob A is dead, if mob B is still mezzed, I've always heard I should
> taunt it a few times before I attack it, gets the critter angry at me
> without breaking mez, hopefully forgetting about the enchanter than mezzed
> it a minute ago so it'll stay on me when we attack it.

Sorry, I meant to say taunt AND attacking the mezzed critter. I don't know
what effect (if any) taunting a mezzed critter has.

Joe D

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Dan Harmon <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I meant to say taunt AND attacking the mezzed critter. I don't know
> what effect (if any) taunting a mezzed critter has.

It makes the mob attack the taunter when mez finally breaks, instead of
making a beeline for the enchanter. Very handy, and is something I make a
point of mentioning in a group, whether I'm playing my warrior or my
enchanter.

I've actually learned a lot about playing my enchanter by watching other
enchanters in action while playing my warrior.

I still remember that first time I grouped with an enchanter that knew what
she was doing. It was in Mistmoore, by the pond out front, killing yard
trash. We finished up one mob, then turned around to see three more
standing there drooling. Once anyone sees something like that, you never
again have to tell them to use /assist and not attack mezzed mobs.

Joe D
--
Another planet conquered by Spaceman Spiff!

Sang K. Choe

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 17:22:37 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>Sorry, I meant to say taunt AND attacking the mezzed critter. I don't know
>what effect (if any) taunting a mezzed critter has.

Appears to push you up the hate list a bit so when mes is broken, it
doesn't always beeline for the enchanter.

Generally considered a "good idea" (by the enchanters) before waking
messed mobs. :-)

-- Sang.

Edward James Kilsdonk

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
In article <79svjsk7gkmncl8r7...@4ax.com>,

In addition it seems that snare does not break the mez.

When I have a chance I will taunt, snare, flame lick, taunt
again as the flamelick breaks the mez, then hit autoattack.
The mezzed mob completely ignores our enchanter.

This is good as he decided to wear full stat jewelry in every
possible location, and has the approximate staying power of a
marshmallow in a blowtorch. But boy does he have a high
charisma (for a gnome)

Ted K.
--
Edward J. Kilsdonk Look, ytte is written in Olde. It muste
Graduate Student, History bee fromme before they invented fpelling.

Nibiru D'Haart

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:02:19 +0100, "Mr Foo Bar" <f...@bar.com> wrote:

>> As
>> far as crowd control before the pull, use Lull/Soothe/Calm, whichever you
>> have.
>
>No!!!!! Forget lull/soothe/calm they don't work. All you'll do is aggro the
>camp.

it won't always aggro them on failure.. But will sometimes.. and if
Lull/Soothe/whatever is the only option then its worth a try..
Cause if you blast one you are garenteed to get them all..

btw- clerics get soothe/lull/pacify too.. not sure what level tho..

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Nibiru D'Haart,
39th Degree DE Enchanter for
The Society of the Unified Light
Mithanial Marr
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Nibiru D'Haart

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

I thouhgt mez/entrace etc had a chance of doing a mem blur on its
own.. maybe this is why sometimes they don't beeline..

but then again, I've seen em break entrance (after being drooling for
3-4 cycles of it), and run thru 3 tanks to get to me..

and I've also seen a rouge break a mez with 2-3 damage and keep the
monster on them..

<shrug>

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 12:17:58 -0700, Sang K. Choe
<sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 17:22:37 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Sorry, I meant to say taunt AND attacking the mezzed critter. I don't know
>>what effect (if any) taunting a mezzed critter has.
>
>Appears to push you up the hate list a bit so when mes is broken, it
>doesn't always beeline for the enchanter.
>
>Generally considered a "good idea" (by the enchanters) before waking
>messed mobs. :-)
>

>-- Sang.

Nibiru D'Haart

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

amen.. also tell any druids or rangers in group to go ahead and snare
the mezzed ones.. since this doesn't break mezz.. save you some time
if mez breaks..

also be sure you got color flux/shift memmed.. will save your life
when there are a lot is going on..

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:01:12 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>Florian Bodenseher <f-bode...@gmx.net> wrote in message
>
>The main thing to remember is that Mez isn't a pulling tool. It's a tool
>that keeps people alive AFTER the pull. Your level 16 AE Mesmerization
>(start looking & auctioning for page 26 left & right, now! Going price is
>around 5p per side...get more than one of each if possible) would still suck
>as a pulling tool, put I guess it would work in a pinch.
>
>Also, it's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT for your group to realize that they CANNOT
>fight more than one critter at a time. It's extremely important to
>designate the primary tank (it may or may not be the puller) and to
>religiously use the /ASSIST command to assist that tank.
>

>The tank's primary duty is to kill a critter. The secondary duty is to keep
>the enchanter alive & free to cast spells. With an enchanter in the group,
>it's then THEIR (then enchanter) responsibility to keep the healer (and
>other casters) alive by keeping critters off him (mezzed). Tanks need to be
>educated (they're not very smart, but we love 'em anyway) NOT to taunt/hit
>the critters beating on casters as that messes up our Mez.
>

>Newer players know extremely little about the power of enchanters. I know
>that I had a hell of a lot of learning to do even before I created my
>enchanter, and a hell of a lot MORE after creating him. I'm only level 21
>and learn something new every day.
>
>That /assist command is probably one of the most important commands in the
>game. THE most important during a fight.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Nibiru D'Haart

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

hahah sounds like me.. full charisma jewlery.. and the AC of a wet
tuna sandwich..

On 8 Jun 2000 19:36:41 GMT, ej...@node13.unix.Virginia.EDU (Edward
James Kilsdonk) wrote:

>In article <79svjsk7gkmncl8r7...@4ax.com>,

>Sang K. Choe <sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com> wrote:

>>On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 17:22:37 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, I meant to say taunt AND attacking the mezzed critter. I don't know
>>>what effect (if any) taunting a mezzed critter has.
>>
>>Appears to push you up the hate list a bit so when mes is broken, it
>>doesn't always beeline for the enchanter.
>>
>>Generally considered a "good idea" (by the enchanters) before waking
>>messed mobs. :-)
>

>In addition it seems that snare does not break the mez.
>
>When I have a chance I will taunt, snare, flame lick, taunt
>again as the flamelick breaks the mez, then hit autoattack.
>The mezzed mob completely ignores our enchanter.
>
>This is good as he decided to wear full stat jewelry in every
>possible location, and has the approximate staying power of a
>marshmallow in a blowtorch. But boy does he have a high
>charisma (for a gnome)
>
>Ted K.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Nibiru D'Haart

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

YES ! Defaintly tell the tanks to taunt before they break mez..
sometimes I tell em to go 2 cycles of taunt before smacking them (if
I didn't mem blur or debuffed them a lot) jsut to keep them from
coming after me

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:11:56 GMT, "Chris Hoeh" <ch...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Dan Harmon <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>

>> The tank's primary duty is to kill a critter. The secondary duty is to
>keep
>> the enchanter alive & free to cast spells. With an enchanter in the
>group,
>> it's then THEIR (then enchanter) responsibility to keep the healer (and
>> other casters) alive by keeping critters off him (mezzed). Tanks need to
>be
>> educated (they're not very smart, but we love 'em anyway) NOT to taunt/hit
>> the critters beating on casters as that messes up our Mez.
>

>Learning not to hit mezzed mobs is a "good thing", but not taunting them?
>Why not?
>After mob A is dead, if mob B is still mezzed, I've always heard I should
>taunt it a few times before I attack it, gets the critter angry at me
>without breaking mez, hopefully forgetting about the enchanter than mezzed
>it a minute ago so it'll stay on me when we attack it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Nibiru D'Haart

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
wrote:

>Chris Hoeh <ch...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>

>> Learning not to hit mezzed mobs is a "good thing", but not taunting them?
>> Why not?
>> After mob A is dead, if mob B is still mezzed, I've always heard I should
>> taunt it a few times before I attack it, gets the critter angry at me
>> without breaking mez, hopefully forgetting about the enchanter than mezzed
>> it a minute ago so it'll stay on me when we attack it.
>

>Sorry, I meant to say taunt AND attacking the mezzed critter. I don't know
>what effect (if any) taunting a mezzed critter has.

it keeps them off you when mez is broken.. (sometimes)

Sang K. Choe

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
James Kilsdonk) wrote:

>In addition it seems that snare does not break the mez.

Nothing that doesn't do damage will break mes (with the exception of
cancel magic): snare, turgur, stun, whatever--as long as there's no
damage component to it, you're fine. Even non-damaging root won't
break mes--of course, druid roots do damage (and therefore is better,
yeah right) so it will break mes.

It's a neat contest to see who pisses the mob off more: The enchanter
who messed, the shaman that turgurred or the druid that snared. It's
almost always the shaman from what I can tell.

>This is good as he decided to wear full stat jewelry in every
>possible location, and has the approximate staying power of a
>marshmallow in a blowtorch. But boy does he have a high
>charisma (for a gnome)

It is not possible for an enchanter to raise his AC to a degree where
it would actually make any difference at the higher levels. There's
just no armor for them to use to accomplish this. Consequently, given
a losing cause it makes sense for them to go after mana and resists
where ever possible.

-- Sang.

Sang K. Choe

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 21:20:48 GMT, Nibiru D'Haart
<chefg...@eprf.tzo.com> wrote:

>I thouhgt mez/entrace etc had a chance of doing a mem blur on its
>own.. maybe this is why sometimes they don't beeline..

Yes, mes can mem blur, but do you really want to bet your low hit
point, low AC enchanter's butt on it? It's not a garanteed thing.

-- Sang.

Edward James Kilsdonk

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
In article <nf50ksc1o76rtkfk8...@4ax.com>,

Sang K. Choe <sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com> wrote:
>On 8 Jun 2000 19:36:41 GMT, ej...@node13.unix.Virginia.EDU (Edward
>James Kilsdonk) wrote:
>
>>In addition it seems that snare does not break the mez.
>
>Nothing that doesn't do damage will break mes (with the exception of
>cancel magic): snare, turgur, stun, whatever--as long as there's no
>damage component to it, you're fine. Even non-damaging root won't
>break mes--of course, druid roots do damage (and therefore is better,
>yeah right) so it will break mes.

Ooh - does this mean that it is safe for my cleric to stun the
critter that the chanter is trying to mez?

>It's a neat contest to see who pisses the mob off more: The enchanter
>who messed, the shaman that turgurred or the druid that snared. It's
>almost always the shaman from what I can tell.
>
>>This is good as he decided to wear full stat jewelry in every
>>possible location, and has the approximate staying power of a
>>marshmallow in a blowtorch. But boy does he have a high
>>charisma (for a gnome)
>
>It is not possible for an enchanter to raise his AC to a degree where
>it would actually make any difference at the higher levels. There's
>just no armor for them to use to accomplish this. Consequently, given
>a losing cause it makes sense for them to go after mana and resists
>where ever possible.

I suppose I am just a bit cynical. He had to lose 22 4 times,
23 3 times, and 24 4 times before he finally learned that if he
is running around in circles I CANT FIND HIM TO TAUNT IT OFF
HIM. Now I find that I assume that things will kill him
immediately after he goes OOM.

Sorry for the shout.

Mr Foo Bar

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

Sang K. Choe <sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 17:22:37 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Sorry, I meant to say taunt AND attacking the mezzed critter. I don't
know
> >what effect (if any) taunting a mezzed critter has.
>
> Appears to push you up the hate list a bit so when mes is broken, it
> doesn't always beeline for the enchanter.
>
> Generally considered a "good idea" (by the enchanters) before waking
> messed mobs. :-)

"Good" ?!? LOL, critical. If I am in a group and the tanks keep leaping in
and whacking mezzed mobs without taunting first I warn them a few times and
then I tell them "sorry guys, going to have to keep memm blur memorised so
no more augments." (Yeah I know I can switch but that's not the point).

> -- Sang.

Mr Foo Bar

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
I repeat, no, no, no, never ever, ever use lull/soothe etc.

If it fails, and it will do if you are having to lull a large group (like a
camp of dervs), then they *all* aggro on you, even the ones you succesfulyl
lulled. And an enchanter just can't stand being beaten on by 5 or 6 blues
for any time at all.

Clerics have more hp and much more ac and I still wouldn't want one of them
doing that.

Get the puller to pull as few as they can get away with and then use aoe
mezz on the lot. That way the only ones that will go for you are the ones
not being hit by the rest of the party and who made their resistance. (Best
of all have the druid harmony them - harmony is a seriously over-powered
spell so make use of it.)

Use soothe/lull/calm and you are asking for death.

Nibiru D'Haart <chefg...@eprf.tzo.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:02:19 +0100, "Mr Foo Bar" <f...@bar.com> wrote:
>
> >> As
> >> far as crowd control before the pull, use Lull/Soothe/Calm, whichever
you
> >> have.
> >
> >No!!!!! Forget lull/soothe/calm they don't work. All you'll do is aggro
the
> >camp.
> >

> it won't always aggro them on failure.. But will sometimes.. and if
> Lull/Soothe/whatever is the only option then its worth a try..
> Cause if you blast one you are garenteed to get them all..
>
> btw- clerics get soothe/lull/pacify too.. not sure what level tho..

Mr Foo Bar

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

Edward James Kilsdonk <ej...@node9.unix.Virginia.EDU> wrote in message

> In article <nf50ksc1o76rtkfk8...@4ax.com>,
> Sang K. Choe <sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com> wrote:
> >On 8 Jun 2000 19:36:41 GMT, ej...@node13.unix.Virginia.EDU (Edward
> >James Kilsdonk) wrote:
> >
> >>In addition it seems that snare does not break the mez.
> >
> >Nothing that doesn't do damage will break mes (with the exception of
> >cancel magic): snare, turgur, stun, whatever--as long as there's no
> >damage component to it, you're fine. Even non-damaging root won't
> >break mes--of course, druid roots do damage (and therefore is better,
> >yeah right) so it will break mes.
>
> Ooh - does this mean that it is safe for my cleric to stun the
> critter that the chanter is trying to mez?

Yes, as long as the stun has no damage component (the wizzy one does). In
fact as an enchanter I would encourage it - the more people the mob might
hate more than me the better as far as I am concerned :-)

> >It's a neat contest to see who pisses the mob off more: The enchanter
> >who messed, the shaman that turgurred or the druid that snared. It's
> >almost always the shaman from what I can tell.
> >
> >>This is good as he decided to wear full stat jewelry in every
> >>possible location, and has the approximate staying power of a
> >>marshmallow in a blowtorch. But boy does he have a high
> >>charisma (for a gnome)
> >
> >It is not possible for an enchanter to raise his AC to a degree where
> >it would actually make any difference at the higher levels. There's
> >just no armor for them to use to accomplish this. Consequently, given
> >a losing cause it makes sense for them to go after mana and resists
> >where ever possible.
>
> I suppose I am just a bit cynical. He had to lose 22 4 times,
> 23 3 times, and 24 4 times before he finally learned that if he
> is running around in circles I CANT FIND HIM TO TAUNT IT OFF
> HIM. Now I find that I assume that things will kill him
> immediately after he goes OOM.

Plonker, he should stand still and cast aoe stuns and then memm blur. Was
doing that last night outside the giants fort. (Oh and he should have Rune
running as well.)

Sang K. Choe

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
On 9 Jun 2000 00:51:03 GMT, ej...@node9.unix.Virginia.EDU (Edward
James Kilsdonk) wrote:

>>>In addition it seems that snare does not break the mez.
>>
>>Nothing that doesn't do damage will break mes (with the exception of
>>cancel magic): snare, turgur, stun, whatever--as long as there's no
>>damage component to it, you're fine. Even non-damaging root won't
>>break mes--of course, druid roots do damage (and therefore is better,
>>yeah right) so it will break mes.
>
>Ooh - does this mean that it is safe for my cleric to stun the
>critter that the chanter is trying to mez?

Good grief, what do you think the chanter is doing with his 1.0 to 2.0
second casting AE stuns? :-)

>I suppose I am just a bit cynical. He had to lose 22 4 times,
>23 3 times, and 24 4 times before he finally learned that if he
>is running around in circles I CANT FIND HIM TO TAUNT IT OFF
>HIM. Now I find that I assume that things will kill him
>immediately after he goes OOM.

The good chanters are those that trust their healers. The good
healers are those that know they *have* to channel through hits,
ignoring everyone else to keep the chanter alive.

-- Sang.

Morgan

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

Nibiru D'Haart wrote:

> I thouhgt mez/entrace etc had a chance of doing a mem blur on its
> own.. maybe this is why sometimes they don't beeline..
>

> but then again, I've seen em break entrance (after being drooling for
> 3-4 cycles of it), and run thru 3 tanks to get to me..
>
> and I've also seen a rouge break a mez with 2-3 damage and keep the
> monster on them..

Either can help. Taunting works well. Sometimes the mem blur kicks
in, although that seems to happen a lot less at higher levels. In
the high 30's, I was using Entrance for the blur effect quite often
and quite successfully. Now, at 46, it seems to take effect only
rarely.

As soon as you have mezzed it, it will start accumulating hate again.
So if it is not blurred, it might get mad at the cleric who heals you
or anyone who buffs you. Or if it was blurred, you can anger it with
Tashan and slow spells. If you really want it blurred, use the much
more reliable Memory Blur spell.

--
Morgan
Xymarra, High Elf Enchanter

(crossposting all posts to rec.games.computer.everquest)

Morgan

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Edward James Kilsdonk wrote:

> In article <nf50ksc1o76rtkfk8...@4ax.com>,

> Sang K. Choe <sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com> wrote:
> >On 8 Jun 2000 19:36:41 GMT, ej...@node13.unix.Virginia.EDU (Edward

> >James Kilsdonk) wrote:
> >
> >>In addition it seems that snare does not break the mez.
> >
> >Nothing that doesn't do damage will break mes (with the exception of
> >cancel magic): snare, turgur, stun, whatever--as long as there's no
> >damage component to it, you're fine. Even non-damaging root won't
> >break mes--of course, druid roots do damage (and therefore is better,
> >yeah right) so it will break mes.
>
> Ooh - does this mean that it is safe for my cleric to stun the
> critter that the chanter is trying to mez?

Yes, as long as they use the level 5 Stun spell and not one of
the higher level ones that all do damage.

> >It's a neat contest to see who pisses the mob off more: The enchanter
> >who messed, the shaman that turgurred or the druid that snared. It's
> >almost always the shaman from what I can tell.
> >
> >>This is good as he decided to wear full stat jewelry in every
> >>possible location, and has the approximate staying power of a
> >>marshmallow in a blowtorch. But boy does he have a high
> >>charisma (for a gnome)
> >
> >It is not possible for an enchanter to raise his AC to a degree where
> >it would actually make any difference at the higher levels. There's
> >just no armor for them to use to accomplish this. Consequently, given
> >a losing cause it makes sense for them to go after mana and resists
> >where ever possible.

There is no hope for Enchanter AC. It is going to be useless. It
might make a difference if you are being swarmed by greens, but it
just won't help in normal combat situations.

I go for high INT for mana and high CHA for reliable mez. In general
I pay so little attention to my own gear that I am embarrassed when
people inspect me. Yes, still wearing a couple pieces of raw silk
at level 46. *looks sheepish*

> I suppose I am just a bit cynical. He had to lose 22 4 times,
> 23 3 times, and 24 4 times before he finally learned that if he
> is running around in circles I CANT FIND HIM TO TAUNT IT OFF
> HIM. Now I find that I assume that things will kill him
> immediately after he goes OOM.

The warrior I group with has a really bad net connection, so I have
to stand stock still while she taunts and her cleric husband pumps
heals into me.

Edward James Kilsdonk

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
"replying" to Morgan but responding to all.

Many thanks to all for the advice. My Ranger primary is slowly
learning how to work with chanters, my cleric secondary is
still figuring it out.

At level 14 that level 5 stun is my clerics only option, and I
always have it memmed in group situations. If I have root up I
will cast that between stuns and heals while trying to save the
chanter.

The other night in Perma I was experimenting with turning off
auto-attack, taunting the thing hitting the chanter, turning
back to the primary target, and then resuming my attacks. I
think that losing a round of combat was worth it.

I do have a noisy connection, and find it very hard to target
folks when the are moving. We finally managed to convince the
chanter that what he needs to do is /gsay GET IT OFF ME and
then stand still. I think.

I will stop nagging my chanter about his AC, although I will
continue to recommend int and cha items that have an ac as long
as they are comparable to the nekkid stuff.

Ted K.
Willaena on E'ci
Lynet on E'ci
male warrior to be named on E'ci

In article <3940C9AA...@misleading.com>,

Don Sly

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
What do you mean by channel through hits ?

--
Don Sly
remove NO Spam to reply

Edward James Kilsdonk

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
In article <960538629.13052.0...@news.demon.co.uk>,

Mr Foo Bar <f...@bar.com> wrote:
>I repeat, no, no, no, never ever, ever use lull/soothe etc.

I disagree.

Only use lull/soothe if you have a plan for when you do aggro
the whole camp.

Outdoors harmony is better, but you are not always outdoors and
do not always have a druid or mid-level Ranger.

My cleric 14 will use soothe - and before casting it the group
and I will decided if a resist means cleric trains to zone or
if a resist means the hella big fight were we going to have
if I had not tried to soothe.

Ted K.

Edward James Kilsdonk

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
In article <AZ805.307$ozS2.6...@tomcat.sk.sympatico.ca>,

Don Sly <tdsly-...@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>What do you mean by channel through hits ?

Your channelling skill determins how easy it is to disrupt your
spells. When it is low, you will get disrupted by a gnoll pup
breathing in your face. At higher levels people will sometimes
get off a spell while running full speed.

In general you get disrupted by being stunned, by being moved
by a blow, by moving while you cast, or by a solid hit.

For this reason people who fight casters will try to stun them,
or at least to hit them hard while they cast. Players by
contrast try to avoid this as much as possible.

Ted K.

>--
>Don Sly
>remove NO Spam to reply
>>
>> The good chanters are those that trust their healers. The good
>> healers are those that know they *have* to channel through hits,
>> ignoring everyone else to keep the chanter alive.
>>
>> -- Sang.

Sang K. Choe

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
On Fri, 09 Jun 2000 16:31:28 GMT, "Don Sly"
<tdsly-...@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>What do you mean by channel through hits ?

What do you think happens when you get the first heal on the chanter?
Any remaining mob not engaged and not taunted will immediately turn to
the healer. But the chanter is probably still getting his head bashed
in by the mob he tried to mes or stun--the healer *has* to get his
heals off to keep the chanter alive.

This is often why during the initial pull, all healers in the group
target the chanter.

A good chanter will minimize this by liberally using his AE stuns and
messing mobs while they are stunned. But sometimes resists happen and
those are the times when things can go wrong real fast.

-- Sang.

Don Sly

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Ah just keep trying to time the casts.
I thought maybe there was a way to control the channeling skill while being
hit.
Thanks

--
Don Sly
remove NO Spam to reply
"Sang K. Choe" <sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com> wrote in message

Longshot

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

"Sang K. Choe" <sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2000 16:31:28 GMT, "Don Sly"
> <tdsly-...@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >What do you mean by channel through hits ?
>
> What do you think happens when you get the first heal on the chanter?
> Any remaining mob not engaged and not taunted will immediately turn to
> the healer. But the chanter is probably still getting his head bashed
> in by the mob he tried to mes or stun--the healer *has* to get his
> heals off to keep the chanter alive.
>
> This is often why during the initial pull, all healers in the group
> target the chanter.
>
> A good chanter will minimize this by liberally using his AE stuns and
> messing mobs while they are stunned. But sometimes resists happen and
> those are the times when things can go wrong real fast.

lol tell me bout it.....: )