Attention Fletchers: News from the Test Server

Afterburner

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
They have apparently introduced an 8-slot fletching kit on the
test server. Don't know if this will simply replace the old one, or
if you'll have to buy one.

Previously, it was useless to make a 2-Cam bow because a 2-Cam
bow required 2 cams, a bow staff, and a string. The bow that was
produced had the identical stats as a bow made with 1 cam and a
planing tool, using the same type of bowstaff and string as above.
And the planing tool is (IIRC) around 20-30pp cheaper than a cam.

With the new 8-slot fletching kits, you can now make bows
using 2 cams *and* a planing tool. So now the fastest bow in the game
is no longer the Carved Silk-Stringed Elmwood bow (DMG 10, DLY 39),
but is instead the Shaped 2-Cam Silk-Stringed Oakwood bow (DMG 15, DLY
38).

Happy news for those who fletch.

AB

Marc Fuller

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99

Now, if they'd just add an evil-friendly merchant who sells arrow parts...

Marc Fuller

Afterburner

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Marc Fuller <MarcF...@worldnet.att.net> sez:

>Now, if they'd just add an evil-friendly merchant who sells arrow parts...

No kidding.

However, I still want to see if an evil fletcher can raise
faction in BB enough to approach Jarse Kedison (who can be faction
raised by killing BB gnolls) while staying out of Hagar Sureshot's
(who cannot be faction raised by killing BB gnolls) aggro range. I
may have to start an inky or an ogre myself just to test this.

AB

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Afterburner wrote:

> They have apparently introduced an 8-slot fletching kit on the
> test server. Don't know if this will simply replace the old one, or
> if you'll have to buy one.

I believe it's supposed to replace, though with the price of kits it's not a
big issue.

> Previously, it was useless to make a 2-Cam bow because a 2-Cam
> bow required 2 cams, a bow staff, and a string. The bow that was
> produced had the identical stats as a bow made with 1 cam and a
> planing tool, using the same type of bowstaff and string as above.
> And the planing tool is (IIRC) around 20-30pp cheaper than a cam.

About 30 pp cheaper for the Planing Tool.

> With the new 8-slot fletching kits, you can now make bows
> using 2 cams *and* a planing tool. So now the fastest bow in the game
> is no longer the Carved Silk-Stringed Elmwood bow (DMG 10, DLY 39),
> but is instead the Shaped 2-Cam Silk-Stringed Oakwood bow (DMG 15, DLY
> 38).

And a Darkwood will be only 3 DLY slower for four points extra damage (19/41,
range 150), making it clearly better than a Trueshot (20/45, range 100).

> Happy news for those who fletch.

Even happier:

* The 'nock vendors' (and I believe Ulan Meadowgreen) are all being changed
to sell ALL supplies; if I understand correctly this means all arrow and bow
supplies as well.

* Store-bought arrows are being nerfed; basic Arrows are having their range
lowered to 25, Flight to (IIRC) 50. This makes even Class 1 Arrows
desireable, now that arrow ranges add in properly. (Hopefully they will nerf
summoned Arrows accordingly.)

* The REAL reason for the larger Fletching kit is to allow the possibility of
additional NEW components for MAGIC bows....

I've been having some good luck selling bows as it is; now I can look forward
to adding arrows to my inventory, and to making even better bows when my skill
improves (currently 149).

--
Dennis F. Heffernan EQ: Venture Fletcher(E'ci) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Afterburner wrote:

> However, I still want to see if an evil fletcher can raise
> faction in BB enough to approach Jarse Kedison (who can be faction
> raised by killing BB gnolls) while staying out of Hagar Sureshot's
> (who cannot be faction raised by killing BB gnolls) aggro range. I
> may have to start an inky or an ogre myself just to test this.

I've seen a Dark Elf buying from Kedison. Whether or not she had increased
faction with Sureshot in some other fashion I couldn't tell you.

Kayne

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
And change the damage of arrows from a sum to a multiplier. Because by the
time you can afford said bow at level 20 - 30 18 points of damage (15bow +
3arrw) just isn't very much.

RaceFace

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
> Now, if they'd just add an evil-friendly merchant who sells arrow parts...

Der's a ogre dat sell nocks and quivers and stuff in Oggok! Name is Praak
and he in dat little stone tower 'bout halfway into da zone frum da
Feerrott. He up in da tower.

Lokari

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Dennis Francis Heffernan <dfra...@email.com> wrote:

This is excellent news. I hope this makes it to the production
servers!

While my druid cannot use a bow (and therefore these changes won't
help me at all), I like to see people running around using bows. It's
just plain cool. Anything that encourages that is a Good Thing.

And maybe I'll get back to my old warrior one of these days, who has
always been an advocate of archery.

Marcus Barnes

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
In article <37d908da....@news.rcn.com>,
abu...@rcn.com (Afterburner) wrote:

> No kidding.

Hehe ... Perhaps there is one but the evil race players have not been
smart enough with their faction to find the vender and be amiable to it.
Faction is perhaps the most important gameplay element IMHO. It does not
pay to kill anyone and anything that gives you experience. ;-)

> However, I still want to see if an evil fletcher can raise
> faction in BB enough to approach Jarse Kedison (who can be faction
> raised by killing BB gnolls) while staying out of Hagar Sureshot's
> (who cannot be faction raised by killing BB gnolls) aggro range.

Even if you can ... this is not a viable option on the PvP serves.

/ooc Ullik

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sean

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
You can raise dwarf, kelethinmerchants, and I assume high elf city merchants
by freeing the appropriate slave in Crushbone. However, with the proposed
changes (see: JBoots/Is this a joke?) it would be difficult to do this
without being banned.

--
Sean S. -:- ICQ: 1826323
Zap small files with Zap `Em - http://home.rochester.rr.com/zapem

Afterburner wrote in message <37d908da....@news.rcn.com>...

>Marc Fuller <MarcF...@worldnet.att.net> sez:
>
>>Now, if they'd just add an evil-friendly merchant who sells arrow parts...
>

> No kidding.

> However, I still want to see if an evil fletcher can raise
>faction in BB enough to approach Jarse Kedison (who can be faction
>raised by killing BB gnolls) while staying out of Hagar Sureshot's

>(who cannot be faction raised by killing BB gnolls) aggro range. I
>may have to start an inky or an ogre myself just to test this.
>

> AB

Marc Fuller

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Marcus Barnes wrote:

> In article <37d908da....@news.rcn.com>,
> abu...@rcn.com (Afterburner) wrote:
> >
> > No kidding.
>
> Hehe ... Perhaps there is one but the evil race players have not been
> smart enough with their faction to find the vender and be amiable to it.
> Faction is perhaps the most important gameplay element IMHO. It does not
> pay to kill anyone and anything that gives you experience. ;-)

I've checked throughout most of the planet, using both my Dark Elf Magician, and
my Wood Elf Druid. I've only ever found *two* merchants who sell arrow
components. One in Kelethin, and therefore unreachable to Dark Elves, period.
And one in Surefall, in the Druid guildhall. Because of the NPC rangers camping
the tunnel, only evil characters who can go Invisible can get to this merchant.
While it is possible to raise faction with the Surefall Druids, it is *not*
possible to raise faction with the Surefall Rangers if they don't like you to
begin with. (I think you can raise faction with them by killing the various
poachers and turning in their heads. But you've got to get close enough to hail
them first.) At the moment, there are no arrow merchants that can be reached by
evil races without spending *weeks* raising your faction, and even then only
with extreme difficulty. The placement and allocation of resources is very
uneven in this game. While this isn't unrealistic, it is not very much fun.

Marc Fuller

Note: While I suppose that a Dark Elf *could* do the Free the Slaves quest,
doing so would leave them KoS by the Indigo Brotherhood, who happen to make up
some portion of the Neriak and Nektulos Guards. And the faction increase on
most quests is so small, they'd still have to spend weeks camping the Slavers
and turning in keys.

Marc Fuller

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:

[snip]

> * Store-bought arrows are being nerfed; basic Arrows are having their range
> lowered to 25, Flight to (IIRC) 50. This makes even Class 1 Arrows
> desireable, now that arrow ranges add in properly. (Hopefully they will nerf
> summoned Arrows accordingly.)

And why would they need to nerf summoned arrows? Magicians aren't exactly
swamped in requests for ammunition. And due to the time involved, I doubt most
Magicians would even bother for someone who isn't in their group. It would be
nice for the arrows to be usable when they *are* summoned though. In my
opinion, they need to stop nerfing spells and classes for a while, and focus on
making some improvements in the game. Someone else pointed out that EQ players
are getting a massive dose of negative reinforcement. Instead of
fixing/improving the weaker classes, like Rogues, they just seem to focus on
breaking the stronger classes, like mages.

Marc Fuller

Timothy J Parker

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Marc Fuller wrote:

> Marcus Barnes wrote:
> >
> > In article <37d908da....@news.rcn.com>,
> > abu...@rcn.com (Afterburner) wrote:
> > >
> > > No kidding.
> >
> > Hehe ... Perhaps there is one but the evil race players have not been
> > smart enough with their faction to find the vender and be amiable to it.
> > Faction is perhaps the most important gameplay element IMHO. It does not
> > pay to kill anyone and anything that gives you experience. ;-)
> >
> I've checked throughout most of the planet, using both my Dark Elf Magician, and
> my Wood Elf Druid. I've only ever found *two* merchants who sell arrow
> components. One in Kelethin, and therefore unreachable to Dark Elves, period.
> And one in Surefall, in the Druid guildhall. Because of the NPC rangers camping
> the tunnel, only evil characters who can go Invisible can get to this merchant.
> While it is possible to raise faction with the Surefall Druids, it is *not*
> possible to raise faction with the Surefall Rangers if they don't like you to
> begin with. (I think you can raise faction with them by killing the various
> poachers and turning in their heads. But you've got to get close enough to hail
> them first.) At the moment, there are no arrow merchants that can be reached by
> evil races without spending *weeks* raising your faction, and even then only
> with extreme difficulty. The placement and allocation of resources is very
> uneven in this game. While this isn't unrealistic, it is not very much fun.

There is an "Arrowsmith" merchant in Kithicor Forest. It's been a long
time since I was in there and I have forgotten just what he sells. Have
you checked there? I believe it's a human merchant who may KOS evils,
however it's possible to raise faction with Kithicor residents by killing
Shralok orcs who reside south of the Highpass entrance.

Marc Fuller

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Timothy J Parker wrote:

> There is an "Arrowsmith" merchant in Kithicor Forest. It's been a long
> time since I was in there and I have forgotten just what he sells. Have
> you checked there? I believe it's a human merchant who may KOS evils,
> however it's possible to raise faction with Kithicor residents by killing
> Shralok orcs who reside south of the Highpass entrance.

He's a Nock merchant. He sells basic arrows, two kinds of bow, three kinds of
nock, and a fletching kit. There are merchants like this all over the place,
including one in Neriak. From a Fletching point of view, they are mostly
useless, because they do not sell all the necessary components. From an Archery
point of view, they are ammo vendors, nothing more.

Marc Fuller

W A Collier

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
In article <37d8ed17....@news.rcn.com>, abu...@rcn.com says...

> They have apparently introduced an 8-slot fletching kit on the
> test server. Don't know if this will simply replace the old one, or
> if you'll have to buy one.

Who cares - as long as we can get one.

Now, if we can get someone out in N Ro or Kith to sell supplies - having
to go to Kelethin or Surefall (opposite ends of the world) sure puts a
dent in the usefulness of arrows and fletchers.

> Happy news for those who fletch.

Happy news indeed.

W A Collier

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
In article <37D9B71F...@4321ameritech.net>,
tjpa...@4321ameritech.net says...

> There is an "Arrowsmith" merchant in Kithicor Forest. It's been a long
> time since I was in there and I have forgotten just what he sells. Have

He only sells one kind of nock, and I think he sells wood shafts, but no
points or other parts and no bowyery (sp?) supplies at all.

W A Collier

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
In article <gu8C3.5329$hf5.1...@typhoon.mbnet.mb.ca>,
bean_REM...@escape.ca says...

> > Now, if they'd just add an evil-friendly merchant who sells arrow parts...
>
> Der's a ogre dat sell nocks and quivers and stuff in Oggok! Name is Praak
> and he in dat little stone tower 'bout halfway into da zone frum da
> Feerrott. He up in da tower.

Doesnt sell points or shafts or fletches.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Marc Fuller wrote:

> And why would they need to nerf summoned arrows?

Completeness.

> Magicians aren't exactly
> swamped in requests for ammunition. And due to the time involved, I doubt most
> Magicians would even bother for someone who isn't in their group.

Then it won't bother you much.

> It would be
> nice for the arrows to be usable when they *are* summoned though.

They'll be USABLE, they just won't be as good as the ones your Ranger walked
in with.

> In my
> opinion, they need to stop nerfing spells and classes for a while, and focus on
> making some improvements in the game.

Nah, we need nerfs. Lots of things in the game are out of control.

Nerf 'em till they glow, then shoot 'em in the dark.

Tony Butterfield

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99

Marc Fuller <MarcF...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> <SNIP> In my

> opinion, they need to stop nerfing spells and classes for a while, and
focus on

> making some improvements in the game. Someone else pointed out that EQ
players
> are getting a massive dose of negative reinforcement. Instead of
> fixing/improving the weaker classes, like Rogues, they just seem to focus
on
> breaking the stronger classes, like mages.
>
> Marc Fuller

In pen and paper campaigns, one of a GM's goals is to maintain some sort of
balance between risk/reward. That's fairly easy when you're dealing with a
small group of characters - if one character is always getting his head
handed to him by something the others can take with ease, he can make a
little adjustment on the fly, maybe dropping some better armor, or having
the nastiest baddies single out the more powerful character.

This isn't quite as easy when your gaming group is 20,000 strong or so. But
balancing risk/reward is still important - too hard and you're Scrooge, too
easy and your Monty Haul.

The problem gets more complicated when some classes are stronger than
others. They are playing in a Monty Haul setting while the others are
struggling with Scrooge in the same setting.

So you buff some (warriors), nerf others (kiting) as necessary to maintain a
rough parity among the classes.

As to what I consider unbalanced? IMO no one should ever be able to solo a
tombstone... any tombstone, ever. Soloing a gamble should be STATISTICALLY
possible... just not likely to succeed.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Grimjakk, Ogre Shaman o' da Warlord
Tallon Zek and Tunare

The Mad Warrior

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
It is my understanding that this is fixed on the test server also. Any merchant
that used to be a "nock merchant" is now a full arrow parts merchant.

MW

Marc Fuller wrote:

> Timothy J Parker wrote:
> >

> > There is an "Arrowsmith" merchant in Kithicor Forest. It's been a long
> > time since I was in there and I have forgotten just what he sells. Have

The Mad Warrior

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Marc Fuller wrote:

> opinion, they need to stop nerfing spells and classes for a while, and focus on
> making some improvements in the game.

Did you miss the part about the 8-slot fletching kit and arrow parts vendors being
updated? Or is that not good enoug for you?

And keep in mind that with the arrow range being "nerfed" that bow and arrow combinations
*still* have more than than they did three months ago (when arrow range was not factored
at all). Three months ago an ash bow shot to 100, period. On test server it shoots to
125 with "nerfed" arrows. It is my understanding that they intended to balance the two
simultaneously by reducing store bought arrow range and at the same time making ranges
additive, with a net effect of evening out. But since they did this (dumbly) in a
staggered fashion, it's now perceived as a "fix" followed by a "nerf".

MW

Marc Fuller

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Tony Butterfield wrote:

[snip]

> As to what I consider unbalanced? IMO no one should ever be able to solo a
> tombstone... any tombstone, ever. Soloing a gamble should be STATISTICALLY
> possible... just not likely to succeed.
>
> Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
>
> Grimjakk, Ogre Shaman o' da Warlord
> Tallon Zek and Tunare

I'm not specifically arguing that. I dislike kiting as well, especially since
the few times I've seen it done, it was by power-gaming morons who didn't seem
to mind training Cyclops over half the people in the zone. My point was just
that Verant never appears to *improve* anything. Their solution consistently
seems to be "weaken players" rather than improving monster AI, improving monster
placement, or improving item dispersion. Half the problems with guard kiting
could be solved by placing a geniune NPC caster class near the affected guards.
Do you think anyone would consider it worth the risk to kite Guards with SoW,
and a companion NPC with Nullify Magic? Even the Nekutlos Bridge Guards would
benefit from the presence of a mid-level Enchanter or Necro NPC. It would have
little or no effect on their function as guards, and would have a drastic effect
on peoples' ability to kill them with impunity. And it wouldn't really affect
peoples' ability to bypass the guards, since there are already ways to get by
them going to and from Lavastorm.

Do I think Warriors, Shadow Knights, and Rogues are broken, and need to be
improved? Absolutely. Do I think that the "improvement" should be to cripple
every other class until they are even with Rogues? Absolutely not. There are a
vast number of things wrong with EverQuest, and in my opinion, Verant is using
the wrong philosophy to correct them. An example would be the Eye of Zomm.
Apparently, there was a bug that allowed Magicians to use the Eye to summon
multiple pets. Instead of correcting the underlying bug, Verant crippled the
Eye, declaring it a pet, and therefore mutually exclusive with a summoned
Elemental. Before it was "fixed," I had never heard of the bug, but I used the
Eye often, to scout, pull monsters, or just generally goof around. (Freeport
Newbie: "What the hell was that thing!?!?!") Since it was "fixed," I don't
think I've even bothered to memorize the spell, because if I'm in an area that's
even slightly dangerous, I summon a pet. In my opinion, the correct solution
would have been to temporarily disable the spell, and fix the underlying coding
bug, rather than "band-aid" it by crippling the spell so that the bug couldn't
be accessed. Verant's solution was to remove functionality, rather than correct
the core problem. They did the same thing when they found out that people were
actually making money at trade skills. Instead of changing the database to
reduce the buyback price on the vendors for the finished goods, they made a
drastic increase in the price of the components. And again with the camping
situation. Instead of giving the problem NPCs multiple spawn points, and adding
multiple versions of problem items, they decided to implement a GM-enforced rule
that allows banning players. If the rule is enforced by humans, then I'm sure
there will be absolutely no instances of abuse or misunderstandings that result
in people getting banned when they didn't actually deserve it. And it's not
like GMs have anything better to do, like recovering corpses that fell under the
world, or resetting the merchants becase a bunch of bored level 50s launched an
attack on the town and now no one can buy anything.

Marc Fuller

Marc Fuller

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
The Mad Warrior wrote:

> Marc Fuller wrote:
>
> > opinion, they need to stop nerfing spells and classes for a while, and focus on
> > making some improvements in the game.
>
> Did you miss the part about the 8-slot fletching kit and arrow parts vendors being
> updated? Or is that not good enoug for you?

No, I didn't miss it, and no, it's not good enough. Not when there's still an
apparent bug in the way ranged damage is calculated. Not when Rogues are still
mostly broken, Alchemy, Research, and Tinkering only barely work, if at all, and
the zones *still* have major landscaping bugs. That g*d d*mned West Karana
Bounceback bug as been there since, what, Beta 3? That's almost a whole year,
isn't it? They obviously have a zone coder, since he apprently just spent quite
some time creating the Plane of Fear. Of course, since no one can actualy go
there, it's sort of a waste. In any case, I believe that they should
concentrate *all* possible resources on debugging the *existing* game, rather
than adding new features. I would rather have a fully functional 1950 Beetle
than a 1999 Porsche that randomly ejects the transmision when I shift gears.
I'm pretty sure that the guy who designs new Quests is the same guy that
designed the old quests that don't work properly.

There are a lot of things about EverQuest that I like a lot, and enjoy a great
deal. Verant's current design and repair philosophy isn't one of them.

Marc Fuller

Afterburner

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
The Mad Warrior <nos...@nospam.com> sez:

>It is my understanding that this is fixed on the test server also. Any merchant
>that used to be a "nock merchant" is now a full arrow parts merchant.

One thing I did notice when I visited the Test Server to verify
this is that Donal Fletcher (a nock merchant in Qeynos) is now selling the
full line of Arrow making components, plus arrows, plus a quiver, plus
short and long bows. But he's not selling the fletching kit any more.

AB

Afterburner

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Marc Fuller <MarcF...@worldnet.att.net> sez:

>And one in Surefall, in the Druid guildhall. Because of the NPC rangers camping
>the tunnel, only evil characters who can go Invisible can get to this merchant.

Actually, there aren't any NPC rangers in the tunnel. The NPC that
stands right at the exit from the tunnel into Surefall is a druid.

You can make it to Jarse Kedison without running into a ranger, as
long as Krystal Aspen isn't wandering about (she sometimes wanders by ol'
Jarse). But then there's the whole Hagar Sureshot problem, since he's
right next to Jarse. But again, it may be possible to approach Jarse
without getting within Hagar's aggro range. I don't know this for a fact,
but I'd sure like to find out.

Of course, if they turn Nock vendors into arrow and/or bow
component vendors, the point becomes academic.

AB

Brent Burkholder

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99

-------------------------
Brent Burkholder
bb...@bicnet.net

> Marcus Barnes wrote:
> >
> > In article <37d908da....@news.rcn.com>,
> > abu...@rcn.com (Afterburner) wrote:
> > >
> > > No kidding.
> >
> > Hehe ... Perhaps there is one but the evil race players have not
been
> > smart enough with their faction to find the vender and be
amiable to it.
> > Faction is perhaps the most important gameplay element IMHO. It
does not
> > pay to kill anyone and anything that gives you experience. ;-)
> >
> I've checked throughout most of the planet, using both my Dark Elf
Magician, and
> my Wood Elf Druid. I've only ever found *two* merchants who sell
arrow
> components. One in Kelethin, and therefore unreachable to Dark
Elves, period.

> And one in Surefall, in the Druid guildhall. Because of the NPC
rangers camping
> the tunnel, only evil characters who can go Invisible can get to
this merchant.

> While it is possible to raise faction with the Surefall Druids, it
is *not*
> possible to raise faction with the Surefall Rangers if they don't
like you to
> begin with. (I think you can raise faction with them by killing
the various
> poachers and turning in their heads. But you've got to get close
enough to hail
> them first.) At the moment, there are no arrow merchants that can
be reached by
> evil races without spending *weeks* raising your faction, and even
then only
> with extreme difficulty. The placement and allocation of
resources is very
> uneven in this game. While this isn't unrealistic, it is not very
much fun.

There's a fletcher in Qeynos, and even a pathetically stocked one in
Akanon.

Brent Burkholder

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99

Dennis Francis Heffernan <dfra...@email.com> wrote in message

> Marc Fuller wrote:
>
> > And why would they need to nerf summoned arrows?
>
> Completeness.
>
> > Magicians aren't exactly
> > swamped in requests for ammunition. And due to the time
involved, I doubt most
> > Magicians would even bother for someone who isn't in their
group.

> Then it won't bother you much.
>
> > It would be
> > nice for the arrows to be usable when they *are* summoned
though.

> They'll be USABLE, they just won't be as good as the ones your
Ranger walked
> in with.

They should be BETTER than the ones the ranger walked in with. In
case you hadn't noticed, those arrows are MAGIC ITEMs. As such,
they're allowed to fly farther and hit harder than mundane arrows
without breaking the rules of the EQ universe.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:08:17 -0400, "Brent Burkholder" <tu...@culosis.net>
wrote:

|They should be BETTER than the ones the ranger walked in with. In

No, they shouldn't, because it will put PC Fletchers in a bad position if
they are.

|case you hadn't noticed, those arrows are MAGIC ITEMs. As such,
|they're allowed to fly farther and hit harder than mundane arrows
|without breaking the rules of the EQ universe.

The fact that they are magic does not in and of itself mean that they must
be superior in all ways, or in any way, to conventional arrows. Blackened
Iron armor is magic too, and it's WORSE than banded.

Marc Fuller

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:08:17 -0400, "Brent Burkholder" <tu...@culosis.net>
> wrote:
>
> |They should be BETTER than the ones the ranger walked in with. In
>
> No, they shouldn't, because it will put PC Fletchers in a bad position if
> they are.

I still don't understand why you think this is so. They will still be summoned
items, and will have all the disadvantages that implies. (Disappear when
disconnected, must find a Magician that is able and willing to cast them, ect.)
*But,* if you can find a Magician who is willing to cast the spell for you, it
should be worth the time it takes to do so. Summon Arrow is a 20th level
spell. So I'd expect the arrows to be at least equivalent to what a 20th level
Fletcher can afford to make on a regular basis. This would keep it in line with
a Magicians other summoned weapons. Staff of Tracing is 8th level, and is equal
to a magical Worn Great Staff. Summon Fang is 12th, and is a magical Giant
Snake Fang. Staff of Warding is 16th, and produces a staff that is nearly
identicle to a Runed Totem Staff, without the hitpoint and mana bonuses. In
each case, the item is as good as a normal, lootable item that could be easily
gotten by a player of that level. It's not better, but it's at least on par.

Marc Fuller

Davian

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99

> On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:08:17 -0400, "Brent Burkholder" <tu...@culosis.net>
> wrote:
>

> |They should be BETTER than the ones the ranger walked in with. In
>
> No, they shouldn't, because it will put PC Fletchers in a bad position if
> they are.
>
> |case you hadn't noticed, those arrows are MAGIC ITEMs. As such,
> |they're allowed to fly farther and hit harder than mundane arrows
> |without breaking the rules of the EQ universe.
>
> The fact that they are magic does not in and of itself mean that they must
> be superior in all ways, or in any way, to conventional arrows. Blackened
> Iron armor is magic too, and it's WORSE than banded.

Heh. Looking at the classes, are you sure about that Dennis? Anything
with magic must be better seems to be a major theme of the game.

Marcus Stafford

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99

Timothy J Parker wrote:

> There is an "Arrowsmith" merchant in Kithicor Forest. It's been a long
> time since I was in there and I have forgotten just what he sells. Have
> you checked there? I believe it's a human merchant who may KOS evils,
> however it's possible to raise faction with Kithicor residents by killing
> Shralok orcs who reside south of the Highpass entrance.

Let's stop this thread, already. There are only TWO merchants in the game that sell
ALL the arrow parts.. one in Kelethin and one in Surefuall Glade. There are other
vendors that sell nocks, but not the other parts. This fact is well known, and not in
dispute by anyone. If you can say with authority that there is another merchant with
all the components, then speak up. Otherwise, this issue is closed.

Marcus Barnes

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
In article <37da79dc...@news.rcn.com>,

abu...@erols.com wrote:

> One thing I did notice when I visited the Test Server to verify
> this is that Donal Fletcher (a nock merchant in Qeynos) is now
> selling the full line of Arrow making components... But he's

> not selling the fletching kit any more.

Yes, not all nock merchants are changing to the same wares. The nock
merchant in Grobb now has arrows components but no longer sells short
bows. I nice tradeoff I think after all this time. :-)

Marcus Barnes

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
In article <37D9AF0B...@worldnet.att.net>,

Marc Fuller <MarcF...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Marcus Barnes wrote:
> >
> > In article <37d908da....@news.rcn.com>,
> > abu...@rcn.com (Afterburner) wrote:
> > >
> > > No kidding.
> >
> > Hehe ... Perhaps there is one but the evil race players have
> > not been smart enough with their faction to find the vender
> > and be amiable to it.
>
> I've checked throughout most of the planet, using both my Dark Elf
> Magician, and my Wood Elf Druid. I've only ever found *two*
> merchants who sell arrow components.

Yes I know the story and you are right as far as that goes. I let this
thread run a bit to see if any one would notice that I said "faction ...
to IT".

Now I am pretty sure that no one has bothered to gain faction with the
evil creatures I am hinting about. I may be the only troll/ogre/dark elf
in all of Norrath who has gained and is gaining good faction with ...
aaah but that would be telling.

I repeat that faction is very important in Norrath, more so than gaining
experience I believe. Choose your enemies and your allies well, for you
never know what they have to offer you until ... well until you do.

/ooc Ullik
Innothule Regiment
Da Bashers

Fitzroy

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
In article <37d908da....@news.rcn.com>,
abu...@rcn.com (Afterburner) wrote:
> Marc Fuller <MarcF...@worldnet.att.net> sez:
>
> >Now, if they'd just add an evil-friendly merchant who sells arrow
parts...

> No kidding.

1. Go to South Karana
2. Visit the Cenataur village
3. Find Vendor
4. Buy Bow Parts

Belsarius
Dark Elf Necromancer

Tony Butterfield

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99

Marcus Stafford <mar...@mem.net> wrote in message

> Let's stop this thread, already. There are only TWO merchants in the game
that sell
> ALL the arrow parts.. one in Kelethin and one in Surefuall Glade. There
are other
> vendors that sell nocks, but not the other parts. This fact is well known,
and not in
> dispute by anyone. If you can say with authority that there is another
merchant with
> all the components, then speak up. Otherwise, this issue is closed.

Not any more! Maybe... we'll just have to wait until the servers come back
up to see. I checked out the Test server last night. The Ogre "Nock
Merchant" in the Citadel is now carrying all arrow parts. The Bow Supply
merchant in the Feerrott still just has bow parts.

The interesting thing is... NO FLETCHING KITS on either of them. I wonder
where you have to go for a fletching kit...

Grimjakk, Ogre Shaman o' da Warlord
Tallon Zek and Tunare

(BTW, there is no surer way to attract flames on Usenet than telling people
an issue is "closed". But then you probably already know that...)

Marcus Barnes

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
In article <68aD3.1698$RS3.16060@ha1>,

"Tony Butterfield" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> The interesting thing is... NO FLETCHING KITS on either of them.
> I wonder where you have to go for a fletching kit...
>
> Grimjakk, Ogre Shaman o' da Warlord
> Tallon Zek and Tunare

Hail frend Grimjakk!

Me tinks dat Grobb merchant still has da kits, but no short bows. Me not
sure doh.

Ullik
Innothule Regiment
Da Bashers

Rallos Zek

Marc Fuller

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Marcus Stafford wrote:

> Let's stop this thread, already. There are only TWO merchants in the game that sell
> ALL the arrow parts.. one in Kelethin and one in Surefuall Glade. There are other
> vendors that sell nocks, but not the other parts. This fact is well known, and not in
> dispute by anyone. If you can say with authority that there is another merchant with
> all the components, then speak up. Otherwise, this issue is closed.

Bzzzzzt. Thank you for playing though. As of last night's patch, all former
Nock merchants seem to have been upgraded to sell the complete set of
arrow-making components. But they no longer seem to sell Fletching Kits, which
I assume have been moved to the the merchants that sold bow-parts and
arrow-parts before the patch. So Evil races can now make arrows and bows, but
anyone who didn't already have a fletching kit will probably have to go to Grobb
to get the kit. And I have confirmed this change on the Nock merchant in
Neriak, in the Bleak Fletcher building.

Marc Fuller

Marcus Stafford

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

Marc Fuller wrote:

No kidding. We've been talking about this for a week almost, since the changes were already
up on the test server. I was trying to stop the thread of people arguing that there were
other vendors in the pre-patch world, which simply wasn't true.

Marcus Barnes

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
In article <37DE815D...@worldnet.att.net>,

Marc Fuller <MarcF...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> But they no longer seem to sell Fletching Kits, which I assume
> have been moved to the the merchants that sold bow-parts and
> arrow-parts before the patch.

I think you are right. Both Yaz... (troll in Grobb) and Prak no longer
seel kits or short bows. I suspect that the evil races must get their
kits from the Ogre Boweyer in Feerrott. We get to make arrows now, but
Verant has thrown in a new handicap of sorts.

/ooc Ullik

evi...@talk21.com

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
Greetings

And AAARARRGGHH I sold my fletching kit in Neriak about 2 weeks ago
having figured that us Dark Elves were never meant to make arrows. They
fix the component issues and now I can't rebuy a fletching kit <heh>

Sennens Law as I call it - A trip to Grobb or Feerrott would appear to
be in order

Sennen
Knight of Innoruuk
14th Circle Bristlebane

Marcus Barnes

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
In article <7s7oud$4ld$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

evi...@talk21.com wrote:

> Sennens Law as I call it - A trip to Grobb or Feerrott would appear to
> be in order

Don't bother. The fletching kits are gone from those places as well. Try
the centaur in East Karanas. Evil races may still be out of luck while
Verant gives the evil bowyers a grace period for all their hard work in
the past.

/ooc Ullik

Tony Butterfield

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99

<evi...@talk21.com> wrote in message news:7s7oud$4ld$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Greetings
>
> And AAARARRGGHH I sold my fletching kit in Neriak about 2 weeks ago
> having figured that us Dark Elves were never meant to make arrows. They
> fix the component issues and now I can't rebuy a fletching kit <heh>
>
> Sennens Law as I call it - A trip to Grobb or Feerrott would appear to
> be in order

Save yerself da trip. Ain't no kits down here. Anyone tried da Centaur
Village?

C. Adams III

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:17:50 GMT, Marcus Barnes
<marcus_...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>In article <7s7oud$4ld$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> evi...@talk21.com wrote:
>>

>> Sennens Law as I call it - A trip to Grobb or Feerrott would appear to
>> be in order
>

>Don't bother. The fletching kits are gone from those places as well. Try
>the centaur in East Karanas. Evil races may still be out of luck while
>Verant gives the evil bowyers a grace period for all their hard work in
>the past.
>
>/ooc Ullik
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Or if your not RPing a evil person you can hire a newbie to purchase
one for you.

Beanwort

When the blind leadeth the blind.....................get out of the way

Fatboy_Vithlani

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
Where can even a good newbie buy fletching kits from now?

I thought they'd gone as well

Jim Williams

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
My lvl 3 (now 4 :) troll warrior found a fletching kit in grobb. It's on an
npc next to the armor building on the way to the bank. On the side of the
armor building (outside) nearest the bank tunnel. With the int my troll
warrior has, it's gonna be darned expensive building my skill <sigh>

"C. Adams III" wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:17:50 GMT, Marcus Barnes
> <marcus_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <7s7oud$4ld$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > evi...@talk21.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Sennens Law as I call it - A trip to Grobb or Feerrott would appear to
> >> be in order
> >
> >Don't bother. The fletching kits are gone from those places as well. Try
> >the centaur in East Karanas. Evil races may still be out of luck while
> >Verant gives the evil bowyers a grace period for all their hard work in
> >the past.
> >
> >/ooc Ullik
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>

> Or if your not RPing a evil person you can hire a newbie to purchase
> one for you.
>
> Beanwort
>
> When the blind leadeth the blind.....................get out of the way

--
Jim Williams
Extra Terrestrial Imports

Marcus Barnes

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
In article <uFjoN8WL4DRf24...@4ax.com>,

C. Adams III <Cad...@foxvalley.net> wrote:

> Or if your not RPing a evil person you can hire a newbie to purchase
> one for you.

I am RPing a troll warrior on Rallos Zek. So no I won't do as you
suggest. I will pay my guildmates, who did work hard to make bows before
the patch, for the arrows that they can now make.