~New spells in Kunark?

BS 98765

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Will there be new spells for all spell casters for all spell catsters in the
expansion?

X-Caliber

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
There sure will... You can see them at
http://www.eqportal.com/eqguise/newspell.htm
Remember though that these are far from final, there
may be some changes between now and when the
expansion comes out.

Billy Shields

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
X-Caliber <x...@xxx.com> wrote:
: There sure will... You can see them at

: http://www.eqportal.com/eqguise/newspell.htm
: Remember though that these are far from final, there
: may be some changes between now and when the
: expansion comes out.

eq.castersrealm.com/kunark/spells has an excellent guide.

:> Will there be new spells for all spell casters for all spell catsters in
: the
:> expansion?

Jeremy Music

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Billy Shields <ran...@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>X-Caliber <x...@xxx.com> wrote:
>: There sure will... You can see them at
>: http://www.eqportal.com/eqguise/newspell.htm
>: Remember though that these are far from final, there
>: may be some changes between now and when the
>: expansion comes out.
>
>eq.castersrealm.com/kunark/spells has an excellent guide.

Something I noticed from the spell list for magicians. We get 2 (2?)
summoned only damage spells, several fire based damage (direct and AoE)
spells, and _one_ conjuration based damage, and it not until 57.

I take solace in the fact that this list is "not final."

I am depressed by the fact that to hit an April release date Kunark must
have gone gold 2 weeks ago.

Wyld Knight - wyld.qx.net 3333
http://wyld.qx.net/~rezo
re...@lords.com

George Ruof

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music) wrote:

>I am depressed by the fact that to hit an April release date Kunark must
>have gone gold 2 weeks ago.

How do you figure? I develop games myself. It is not difficult at all
to get a game from gold master to stores in less than 2 weeks. You can
do it in less but it costs more. If 4/20 is the release date then they
have almost 3 weeks left before a drop dead date.

They could have pressed the CDs a month ago that go in the box. I'll
bet you get a patch on day one that brings you up to date with the
changes they were still making the night before. Then they will keep
hacking at it and fixing problems people find for the next year just
like regular EQ.

--
George Ruof
gr...@pacificnet.net

George Ruof

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music) wrote:

>You're probably right about there being a patch on day one. But to do a
>release of the number they're probably hoping to sell (I'm figuring a first
>run of at least 250,000) they would need to start those presses running
>probably a month ahead of release.

No they would not. 2 weeks is more than enough time. Clearly you have
no idea how many CDs can be pressed in a day.

--
George Ruof
gr...@pacificnet.net

Jeremy Music

Jeremy Music

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
George Ruof <gr...@pacificnet.net> wrote:
>re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music) wrote:
>
>>You're probably right about there being a patch on day one. But to do a
>>release of the number they're probably hoping to sell (I'm figuring a first
>>run of at least 250,000) they would need to start those presses running
>>probably a month ahead of release.
>
>No they would not. 2 weeks is more than enough time. Clearly you have
>no idea how many CDs can be pressed in a day.

I do, indeed. And while I've never dealt with a quantity of a quarter
million before I have dealt with 100k and know quite well the difference in
price on a "We need this pressed and shipped in 2 weeks." order compared to
a "Ship date is 1 month from this Friday." order. Yes, it is _possible_
that they could get it pressed and shipped in 5 days, but that would be
_expensive_! And I figure Verant/Sony is trying to maximize profit off what
will be the last big blast (at least for a while) for Everquest. Especially
considering that 150k of them will be upgraders not paying the full price
(and also not paying a percentage to retail, so that may not affect as much
as I thought originally).

(I'd guess 17 billion CDs can be pressed in a day.)
(I'd guess Microsoft is the only company that could afford that. Once.)

George Ruof

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music) wrote:

>I do, indeed. And while I've never dealt with a quantity of a quarter
>million before I have dealt with 100k and know quite well the difference in
>price on a "We need this pressed and shipped in 2 weeks." order compared to
>a "Ship date is 1 month from this Friday." order. Yes, it is _possible_
>that they could get it pressed and shipped in 5 days, but that would be
>_expensive_! And I figure Verant/Sony is trying to maximize profit off what
>will be the last big blast (at least for a while) for Everquest. Especially
>considering that 150k of them will be upgraders not paying the full price
>(and also not paying a percentage to retail, so that may not affect as much
>as I thought originally).

Well, I make games for a living that have sell-ins of 200k+. It takes 2
weeks to go from a gold master to product in the stores. It can be done
faster but it does cost more. Even then the cost difference is very
small. We're talking about a pennies per unit increase.

It still doesn't matter what they put on the CD you buy at retail.
There will be a patch on day one with whatever fixes they made since
then. Obviously they are not dine since the expansion spells are
changing almost daily.

--
George Ruof
gr...@pacificnet.net

Kendrick A Gold

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Well, I'm absolutely sure there will be a patch on or before that day
since those people that have not bought the expansion still need the
data files that come with the new Iksar race. So, I'd assume all other
fixes and changes could be plunked into a big ol' patch. I'm willing
to bet that, if the schedule stays the same, the expansion will be
shipped without all (if any) of the new bard songs.

Hehe, imagine 3 weeks of testing at least 8 bard songs:

(here's where I blatantly insert a bard rant, where it doesn't belong.)

Bard1 goes to the song merchant...
Bard1 says, 'Hmmm, Selo's Accelerando, got it. Angstlich's Appalling Screech,
got it...'
Bard1 says, 'Hey, what does Verant's Standardized Bard Song Number 1, do?'
Bard2 says, 'Er, I tried singing it, and it stuck all my group members into a
wall!'
Bard1 says, 'And Verant's Standardized Bard Song Number 2?.'
Bard2 says, 'Create Aggro.'
Bard1 says, '3?'
Bard2 says, 'Nagafen gate.'
Bard1 says, 'eep, 4?'
Bard2 says, 'Cazic Thule's Death touch...'
Bard1 says, 'Wha!? YAY!'
Bard2 says, 'Wait, let me finish, Cazic Thule's Death touch (self only).'
Bard2 starts singing...
Bard2 says, 'Bard2, you will not escape from me!' (broadcasted to the whole zone)

Bard2 gets hit for 10000 points of non-melee damage.
Bard2 has slain Bard2!
Bard1 says, 'hmm, I think I'll hold off on that one...'

George Ruof

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Kendrick A Gold <kgo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Well, I'm absolutely sure there will be a patch on or before that day
>since those people that have not bought the expansion still need the
>data files that come with the new Iksar race. So, I'd assume all other
>fixes and changes could be plunked into a big ol' patch. I'm willing
>to bet that, if the schedule stays the same, the expansion will be
>shipped without all (if any) of the new bard songs.
>
>Hehe, imagine 3 weeks of testing at least 8 bard songs:
>
>(here's where I blatantly insert a bard rant, where it doesn't belong.)

hehe. I expect many bugs to be around on day 1 too.

I wonder how Verant plans to seperate regular EQ players and Kunark
players. When you connect to the patch server you have not logged in
yet so they can't tell. I wonder if just copying the new patch program
or some other small files to an existing EQ directory will fool it into
thinking you have Kunark.

--
George Ruof
gr...@pacificnet.net

Jeremy Music

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
George Ruof <gr...@pacificnet.net> wrote:

>hehe. I expect many bugs to be around on day 1 too.
>
>I wonder how Verant plans to seperate regular EQ players and Kunark
>players. When you connect to the patch server you have not logged in
>yet so they can't tell. I wonder if just copying the new patch program
>or some other small files to an existing EQ directory will fool it into
>thinking you have Kunark.

I have been wondering since Kunark was announced how they were going to
handle the separation of players. I honestly haven't come up with an idea
yet, though I'm assuming Verant must have (hopefully).

Kendrick A Gold

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00

George Ruof wrote:

> Kendrick A Gold <kgo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> hehe. I expect many bugs to be around on day 1 too.
>
> I wonder how Verant plans to seperate regular EQ players and Kunark
> players. When you connect to the patch server you have not logged in
> yet so they can't tell. I wonder if just copying the new patch program
> or some other small files to an existing EQ directory will fool it into
> thinking you have Kunark.

Bleh, it sucks, but why would they even bother. Say they need to change
the newbie zone on Kunark, they'll probably just make you download it
whether or not you have the expansion and then when you log on, it shows
that you didn't buy the expansion and promptly denies you access to it.
(I'm sure there's probably another registration code along with the new CD.)

This brings up another point though. I hear that they plan on not letting
people level past 50 if they do not buy the expansion. I find that quite
disturbing. Why not also give items from Kunark, a KUNARK tag so
that non-expansion players will be denied these items as well?