Experience: Precise formula for MOBs and groups of different levels.

Jonah Johansen

Mar 27, 2001, 3:59:36 PM3/27/01
What is the exact formula for determing what percenatge of full experience
you get when killing a mob
SOLO.

Exactly how does the mob being 3, 4, 5 levels above or below you effect
the amount of experience you get.

It seems I get experience from some monsters /con ing green.
What is the formula or do you have a link to a site. I could not find one

In GROUPS
Also, How does the level of other players in my group effect my experience.
I know if they are many levels above or below me, either my experience or
there's goes down.

Filling out a party give you a bonus. So even though there is one more to
split the exp with the bonus makes up for it. What exactly is the bonus %?

Gregory Gadow

Mar 27, 2001, 5:36:25 PM3/27/01
Jonah Johansen wrote:

> What is the exact formula for determing what percenatge of full experience
> you get when killing a mob
> SOLO.
>
> Exactly how does the mob being 3, 4, 5 levels above or below you effect
> the amount of experience you get.
>
> It seems I get experience from some monsters /con ing green.
> What is the formula or do you have a link to a site. I could not find one

Verant has not issued any of the actual formulas because they do not want EQ to
be a game about math. Yeah, it is frustrating at times but I generally agree
with that position.

As you get higher, you will start to notice different /con messages within the
same color. At 16th level, I am seeing two different blues ('kind of dangerous'
and 'risky') and two different greens ('might win, but it is not certain' and
'safe opponent'). I still get experience with the 'might win' greens, but not
from the 'safe opponent' greens, and a mob that is 'kind of dangerous' seems to
give more experience than the same type which is merely 'risky'.

I recall a webpage that had those messages and relative level... anyone?

--
Gregory Gadow
Email: tech...@serv.net

"Take the high road. Not only is the view
better and the air fresher, but it makes
it easier to piss on the people below."

Yisbik

Mar 28, 2001, 11:50:15 AM3/28/01
From what I have heard, green cons that give you xp give 1/4 the normal
experience. I am also under the impression that you will not get xp for a
green con that would give you xp if a member in your party would not get xp
for that mob.

They higher the level the more experience a party member will absorb. It
used to be that hybrids also absorbed more xp, but I think they changed
that. As far as the full party bonus, I think that is just a myth.

Yis

Jonah Johansen <imjo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris Hoeh

Mar 28, 2001, 1:38:25 PM3/28/01

Yisbik <yis...@yetii.com> wrote in message

> They higher the level the more experience a party member will absorb. It
> used to be that hybrids also absorbed more xp, but I think they changed
> that. As far as the full party bonus, I think that is just a myth.
>
> Yis

There's a patch message (and maybe the Producer's Letter) from earlier in
the year that explains all this.

Tad

Mar 28, 2001, 11:57:42 PM3/28/01
Here's how the exp gain works when you solo:

A mob of a certain level has a set experience number it gives. Then
there's a zone modifier.

Example using made up numbers: A level 10 Rat gives 100 pts of
experience. When it's red to you, you get 100 exp pts. As you level
it will be yellow, white then blue. It still gives 100 exp pts. The
difference is that YOU need more experience points to level the higher
you go. That level 10 Rat that gave a full blue line bubble when you
were level 8 may only give half a blue line bubble when you are level
11. It's still giving the same amount of experience but you need
more.

When the rat turns high green it will give 1/2 the experience, in this
example it will give 50 exp points. If you level again and it still
gives experience it will give 1/4 the experience, in this example 25
exp points.

Lokari

Mar 29, 2001, 1:20:59 AM3/29/01
Gregory Gadow <tech...@serv.net> wrote:

>Verant has not issued any of the actual formulas because they do not want EQ to
>be a game about math.

There is a school of thought which holds that Verant doesn't even
understand it themselves :)

--
We now return to our regularly scheduled sig.
www.lokari.net

Carlo Mosca

Mar 29, 2001, 5:22:58 AM3/29/01
"Tad" <DontE...@Bardmail.com> wrote in message

> Here's how the exp gain works when you solo:
>
> A mob of a certain level has a set experience number it gives. Then
> there's a zone modifier.
>
> Example using made up numbers: A level 10 Rat gives 100 pts of
> experience. When it's red to you, you get 100 exp pts. As you level
> it will be yellow, white then blue. It still gives 100 exp pts. The
> difference is that YOU need more experience points to level the higher
> you go. That level 10 Rat that gave a full blue line bubble when you
> were level 8 may only give half a blue line bubble when you are level
> 11. It's still giving the same amount of experience but you need
> more.
>
> When the rat turns high green it will give 1/2 the experience, in this
> example it will give 50 exp points. If you level again and it still
> gives experience it will give 1/4 the experience, in this example 25
> exp points.

Take a look at http://www.geocities.com/sstair/eqexp1.html. There are links
at the bottom of on of the pages that give the equations for exp per level
and exp per kill.

Tim Smith

Mar 31, 2001, 11:53:53 PM3/31/01
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:36:25 -0800, Gregory Gadow <tech...@serv.net> wrote:
>Verant has not issued any of the actual formulas because they do not want EQ to
>be a game about math. Yeah, it is frustrating at times but I generally agree
>with that position.

He didn't ask if Verant had issued the formulas. He asked what the
formulas are. Since every time you kill something, the server sends to
to your computer how much XP you got, it's not hard for people who have
decrypted the packet stream to work out the formulas.

>As you get higher, you will start to notice different /con messages within the
>same color. At 16th level, I am seeing two different blues ('kind of dangerous'
>and 'risky') and two different greens ('might win, but it is not certain' and
>'safe opponent'). I still get experience with the 'might win' greens, but not

That's just temporary. At higher levels, they go back to using just one
message for all blues.

--Tim Smith

Chris H

Apr 4, 2001, 12:53:39 AM4/4/01
Yea I hit that point around 25 or so, not sure exactly when but it sucks. I
use to know if it was a high blue , chances were slim to solo it, but low
blues a pretty sure thing. Now all blues are the same and some I can kill
and take barely a bub of damages, some kick my ass and I never am sure what
it is going to be.

Dominic Thesilent
29 seasons with the Silent Fist Clan on Xev

"Tim Smith" <t...@halcyon.com> wrote in message