Baking, Pottery, etc

J. Eric Townsend

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99

I've found that Tailoring is a useful skill in terms of selling items
to other players. I've heard Fletching is the same, but I haven't
tried it.

But is Baking or Pottery useful? Do we know what all those different
foods do? Is there a point in my making Bat Wing Surprises or
whatever? Or is it just a silly substitute for rations / iron
rations?

--
J. Eric Townsend -- http://www.spies.com/jet
looking for: Art of Noise and Kraftwerk videos, state generated

James Roraback

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
Tailoring is still useful in terms of selling to other players. My 17 ranger
still stops occaisionally to make and sell patchwork to lower level
characters. Yes! there are still real newbies, not just the twinked ones
going straight to banded. Also, druids, shamans and thieves can't go above
leather armor so a tailor connected to a good smith could make some profit
on studded and reinforced leather.

Smithing of course can be proftable if you can manage the tremendous startup
capital.

Fletching is a money sink, period. Rangers are about the only class in the
game that will actually use bows. Most, not all, rangers are fletchers, just
so they don't have to buy their bows. Warriors and paladins can use bows,
but most don't because the tactics required aren't conducive to power
gaming.

Baking is a money sink, period. Some people like to bake purely for the
roleplay aspect. It is much more entertaining to eat beer braised bear
steaks than bread or rations. However, just like all the other trade skills,
baking components can get expensive. The one saving grace here is that a lot
of the components can be gotten as loot from kills. For example, turning a
chunk of lion meat into a lion steak. You still have to buy the spice and
sauce. In the long run the price you have to charge people just to cover
your expensive is more than they would pay for bread or rations. In a power
gamer environment, who wants to buy expensive food when summoned food and
water is free?

Brewing used to be profitable after a sizable investment. that got nerfed.
It's cheaper to buy booze from an NPC if you want to roleplay a party.

Pottery was also profitable aftera relatively small investment. That got
nerfed. Supposedly, some of the items that you can make with pottery now,
will drive other crafts. I doubt that? What can a potter make? Dishes for
baking? baking is nerfed, remember. Containers for brewing? Brewing got
nerfed too.

What I'm trying to say is that the only trades worth doing are the ones that
help players with the primary focus of the game, hack-n-slash. Tailoring and
Smithing produce armor. Armor makes you better at hack-n-slash. baking
produces food. Food quality has absolutely no effect on hack-n-slash
outcome. Fletching can affect the outcome of a battle, but only if you are
willing to pay for lots of arrows and employ complicated tactics. Brewing?
Well, you can't hack-n-slash if you're drunk.

RAISTLIN

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
Its really bad, but its true!!!

Oustekache

Mithaniel Marr server

James Roraback <jimr...@twcny.rr.com> a écrit dans l'article
<dPtn3.61$va....@typhoon.nyroc.rr.com>...

Kroakar of Rathe

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
I am a Dwarven smith who mostly sells large banded armor (less competition).
Ogres and trolls are much more into role-playing than other races, which I
enjoy also. In order to put the customers in a good mood and make sure that
they don't try to eat the dwarf, I pass out various ogrish or trollish
goodies.
I buy them from a master chef - Inquisito - who can supply me with anything
from Blackened Tier Dahl to Rat Kabobs. (I carefully do not offer any dwarf
meat delicacies.) Inquisito makes a profit selling to me, my sales have
increased enough to cover the cost of the food, and my friends and I are all
having a good time.

Not exactly a powergaming use of baking, but an example of a way baking can
be useful in commerce.

Kroakar of the Rathe
Nervous Merchant to the Large and Smelly.

J. Eric Townsend <j...@spies.com> wrote in message

> I've found that Tailoring is a useful skill in terms of selling items
> to other players. I've heard Fletching is the same, but I haven't
> tried it.
>
> But is Baking or Pottery useful? Do we know what all those different
> foods do? Is there a point in my making Bat Wing Surprises or
> whatever? Or is it just a silly substitute for rations / iron
> rations?

Kendrick A Gold

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99

James Roraback wrote:

A few points:

> Tailoring is still useful in terms of selling to other players. My 17 ranger
> still stops occaisionally to make and sell patchwork to lower level
> characters. Yes! there are still real newbies, not just the twinked ones
> going straight to banded. Also, druids, shamans and thieves can't go above
> leather armor so a tailor connected to a good smith could make some profit
> on studded and reinforced leather.

This I agree with, but I'll be damned if I can find a steady supply of medium
quality pelts around the Qeynos area.

> Smithing of course can be proftable if you can manage the tremendous startup
> capital.

Smithing if you can deal with the whining, haggling, begging and waiting is very

profitable, especially when smiths in the area band together to keep prices up.

> Fletching is a money sink, period. Rangers are about the only class in the
> game that will actually use bows. Most, not all, rangers are fletchers, just
> so they don't have to buy their bows. Warriors and paladins can use bows,
> but most don't because the tactics required aren't conducive to power
> gaming.

I don't know, I keep a long bow handy because I can get in an extra shot for
free; I would like to get one of those nicer bows, but I hear they cost upwards
of 300p to make (without failures); if the arrows and bows worked the way
they are supposed to, then maybe more people would get into bows.

> Baking is a money sink, period. Some people like to bake purely for the
> roleplay aspect. It is much more entertaining to eat beer braised bear
> steaks than bread or rations. However, just like all the other trade skills,
> baking components can get expensive. The one saving grace here is that a lot
> of the components can be gotten as loot from kills. For example, turning a
> chunk of lion meat into a lion steak. You still have to buy the spice and
> sauce. In the long run the price you have to charge people just to cover
> your expensive is more than they would pay for bread or rations. In a power
> gamer environment, who wants to buy expensive food when summoned food and
> water is free?

This I have to totally disagree with. While it is indeed mostly for roleplaying
aspects,
you can indeed make a substantial profit from baking (IF you can stand the
extreme
tedium of it all.) That comes from the fish fillet item (trivial at about 80
skill) as a
barbarian warrior with 65 (with +char items) I get a 200% return on costs. It
really
is no substitute for pottery though, as I found out. Also, foraged food can get
you
some profit, items like mammoth meat can be made into 5 sandwiches with a little

bread, giving you a small profit (if you're going out there anyway.) And
finally,
cooked items are lighter to carry. (fish is 1.0lb fishfillets 0.1lb)

> Pottery was also profitable aftera relatively small investment. That got
> nerfed. Supposedly, some of the items that you can make with pottery now,
> will drive other crafts. I doubt that? What can a potter make? Dishes for
> baking? baking is nerfed, remember. Containers for brewing? Brewing got
> nerfed too.

I haven't checked yet, but are mixing bowls still slightly profitable, they were
the
next best thing to pie tins. Now potters can make "vials." What they're for
and
what they're used for, I have a few guesses. I don't see the profitability
though.
I was actually hoping to be able to make a ceramic stave, for the bowyers, as
that is a significantly higher valued item than hickory or other wood staves.

> What I'm trying to say is that the only trades worth doing are the ones that
> help players with the primary focus of the game, hack-n-slash. Tailoring and
> Smithing produce armor. Armor makes you better at hack-n-slash. baking
> produces food. Food quality has absolutely no effect on hack-n-slash
> outcome. Fletching can affect the outcome of a battle, but only if you are
> willing to pay for lots of arrows and employ complicated tactics. Brewing?
> Well, you can't hack-n-slash if you're drunk.

I suppose you're right about that, but Everquest is mostly about the fighting
anyway, whether one chooses to admit it or not, anything other than fighting
or chatting with friends has little to do with the game at all, which is quite
frustrating in my opinion.

Kendrick A Gold

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99

Kroakar of Rathe wrote:

> I am a Dwarven smith who mostly sells large banded armor (less competition).
> Ogres and trolls are much more into role-playing than other races, which I
> enjoy also. In order to put the customers in a good mood and make sure that
> they don't try to eat the dwarf, I pass out various ogrish or trollish
> goodies.
> I buy them from a master chef - Inquisito - who can supply me with anything
> from Blackened Tier Dahl to Rat Kabobs. (I carefully do not offer any dwarf
> meat delicacies.) Inquisito makes a profit selling to me, my sales have
> increased enough to cover the cost of the food, and my friends and I are all
> having a good time.

That's what I do, I give a little treat with each purchase, trying to vary my
gifts
with every purchase. This week it's fish head soup! yumm.
You should get him to make troll shaped cookies. I like to bite the heads off
first, but then they keep regenerating. =)

Sean Kennedy

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99

James Roraback wrote in message ...

>Tailoring is still useful in terms of selling to other players. My 17
ranger
>still stops occaisionally to make and sell patchwork to lower level
>characters. Yes! there are still real newbies, not just the twinked ones
>going straight to banded. Also, druids, shamans and thieves can't go above
>leather armor so a tailor connected to a good smith could make some profit
>on studded and reinforced leather.

Thieves and Shamans can wear banded.

The cost of reinforced makes it unattractive
to make (getting HQ pelts is hard).

Curt Humphrey

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
Pottery and Baking were both useful skills until in their ultimate wisdom
they took away the abillity to make money on them.. I play a halfling
druid who LIKED to cook pies. I'd go to the pottery wheel whip out 5 or 6
pie tins and bake a few pies. If I was running .low on money I'd whip out
a few more and sell them. They cost about 2 gold to make and sold for 5
or so. Imagine my surprise when I went in and priced the sketches for pie
tins today and they were 1.5 pp a piece.. Being a little Ticked that a
large part of my RP was now impposible [I don't hand out 2 pp worth of free
pie to anyone] I decided to try to make a pie tin anyway and see what it
sold for. I got a whole 5 gold for it. The same price as they have always
sold for. Only problem now is it takes 1.7 plat to make. And people
wonder why the Ebay trade is booming on pp. Unless you have a ton of free
time, you'd never be able to keep up with making an enjoyable character
with decent equipment. Personally I spend a good amount of time on EQ and
even selling everything I get from asps, I still am hard pressed at 10th
level to buy all the spells I need. Let alone buying the equipment I
want. Seems like everytime I find something that seems reasonable, someone
comes along and complains about it and it is called an "Exploit" and it is
taken out. Funny thing is I though we all paid the same money for the game
and the 10 bucks a month to play. Just a long winded BS rant.

Ben Pocock

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
>Pottery and Baking were both useful skills until in their ultimate wisdom
>they took away the abillity to make money on them.. I play a halfling
>druid who LIKED to cook pies. I'd go to the pottery wheel whip out 5 or 6
>pie tins and bake a few pies. If I was running .low on money I'd whip out
>a few more and sell them. They cost about 2 gold to make and sold for 5
>or so. Imagine my surprise when I went in and priced the sketches for pie
>tins today and they were 1.5 pp a piece.. Being a little Ticked that a
>large part of my RP was now impposible [I don't hand out 2 pp worth of free
>pie to anyone] I decided to try to make a pie tin anyway and see what it
>sold for. I got a whole 5 gold for it. The same price as they have always
>sold for. Only problem now is it takes 1.7 plat to make. And people
>wonder why the Ebay trade is booming on pp. Unless you have a ton of free
>time, you'd never be able to keep up with making an enjoyable character
>with decent equipment. Personally I spend a good amount of time on EQ and
>even selling everything I get from asps, I still am hard pressed at 10th
>level to buy all the spells I need. Let alone buying the equipment I
>want. Seems like everytime I find something that seems reasonable, someone
>comes along and complains about it and it is called an "Exploit" and it is
>taken out. Funny thing is I though we all paid the same money for the game
>and the 10 bucks a month to play. Just a long winded BS rant.

I think they went overboard with the pottery "upgrade". However, there
was a slight inbalance with pottery. I saw many level 10 characters in
a few hours have full bronze armor, a nice shield and sword that a
level 20 character would have had to spend days getting.

My friend was making 75p/hour.

Infact, it would be possible for a level 4 character to make about a
100p and hour easy. I hardly call that reasonable.

Maybe they should have made it so that you could only make 1g profit
per tin instead of 5g.

Chuck U. Farley

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
to bpo...@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca
fuck you you ingnorant piece of shit, no one could've made enough plat to buy a
full set of plate!
You lie like you talk, OUTTA YOUR ASS!
Verant is punishing potters, just like they punished brewers. And you can take
your "they shoulda" agruments and stow them back where they came from OUTTA YOUR
ASS!

Ben Pocock

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
>> I think they went overboard with the pottery "upgrade". However, there
>> was a slight inbalance with pottery. I saw many level 10 characters in
>> a few hours have full bronze armor, a nice shield and sword that a
>> level 20 character would have had to spend days getting.
>>
>> My friend was making 75p/hour.
>>
>> Infact, it would be possible for a level 4 character to make about a
>> 100p and hour easy. I hardly call that reasonable.
>> Maybe they should have made it so that you could only make 1g profit
>> per tin instead of 5g.

>fuck you you ingnorant piece of shit, no one could've made enough plat to buy a
>full set of plate!
>You lie like you talk, OUTTA YOUR ASS!
>Verant is punishing potters, just like they punished brewers. And you can take
>your "they shoulda" agruments and stow them back where they came from OUTTA YOUR
>ASS!

Probably just a troll, but I'll tell of you other intelligent
individuals just how sick pottery was.

My Druid friend with roughly 100 CHR working in Rivervale made an
average of 75p an hour. He bought sketches, stuck them in the bank,
and went crazy. Just so you know you can stick 1200+ sketches in the
bank.

1200 sketches will make you about 600p or so. He went to rivervale
because there are no lineups there.

A full suit of bronze will cost you 250p max
A polished granite tomohawk will cost you about 200p
A shiny brass shield will cost you 20p
A dragoon dirk will cost you 25p
A BBC will cost you 100p

Right now, that's around 600p, or 6 hours of work and one haul of
sketches. Some characters can't (my gnome for instance), since they
have lower charisma. With 50 charisma I was making 35p an hour. So,
it'd take me around 9 hours or so to fully equip my guy.

There are many guides telling you how to do this. It'll cost you about
10p to get your skill to the point where you can make money. Pottery
was just sick. Period. A level 5 guy with a little twink (10p) could
equip themselves in a manner that a level 18 warrior adventuring for
over 5 days gametime could in under 10 hours.