SK Balance - Issues..Not whining :)

jav...@my-deja.com

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
A little history, I play a level 25 ShadowKnight on Cazic Thule. I also
have played Wizard, Bard, and Magician to or almost to 20. From a
Roleplaying standpoint, I enjoy the SK.

However, the SK seems to be missing any spells that equate him to an
'attacking' class. We get some Necromancer spells, but really no viable
spells that would make us the opposite of the Paladin.

Also, since we do not get any 'attacking' <by this I mean DD> spells,
would it not make sense for us to get some Spells that could help us? If
we can't do DD, then we shouldn't get Cure Disease and perhaps Spirit
Armor?

A 25 Dark Elf ShadowKnight seems to be an overly difficult class, with
little trade off for the sacrifices <KOS most places> we have. Unlike
our large colleagues, we do not get bash when using a 2H weapon, which
is the most viable option for our class. The Fighter has been pumped up
to be more then equal to an SK in a group, with higher Resist, more HPs,
Bash,kick, etc. Rangers have Heal, Buff, AND Direct Damage and can duel
wield and double attack. Shadowknights being the opposite of Paladins
<and their buffs> get no Attacking spells. Our few attacking spells are
fairly inadequate in combat. Our best spell up to 25 is Fear.

I realize somone within Verant has a high level Shadow Knight and
believes the class is completely balanced. However, please take a look
at the SK class from level 1-50. Especially the 20's that are the long
run for us. Our 22 spells should be changed to ATTACKING spells. Not low
level DOTs that really are of no value to a group. Ward Undead is
completely useless at 22. Vampiric Embrace is a great idea, but in
reality it does nothing.

Please give our class some ATTACKING spells, so that we can be what we
are supposed to be. Everquest guys: Try to play a Human or Dark Elf
Shadowknight through the 20's.

I enjoy Roleplaying a Shadow Knight. It is a great RPing class. Please
take the time to read the suggestions made and do whats best for the
game. Make us a viable group class, especially in the 20's...

If you play another class, take a look at the Shadow Knight Spell list.
The pet is nice, but is more of a 'fun' then a useful thing. Not to
mention due to the fact the pet cons at its level <1/2 ours> it pulls
everything it sees to us.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Derek J. Ludwig

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
As a 34 level Paladin and comparing and talking to SK's ( i do have a trial
de sk but its only at 9th) I must aggree that SK's do need fixing. I think
to make the char worth while verant creates some unholy swords in the game.
ones that are 1 hand and 2 hand just like they have for paladins..Also, i
feel Sk's shopuld get lifetap series spells.

Andre

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
I totally agree with this post and I hope that Verant may take issue. I
really enjoy playing my DE SK Level 9 but it is a difficult class and it's
kind of discouraging at times, at level 9 we don't even get lifedrain to
help out with healing. I am not sure that invisibilty is even an option for
necros, but it would be great to get that spell at some level, so we may
travel Norath more easily (KOS can get really annoying after awhile). At
level 9 the necro spells we get are more for fun than anything, they really
don't add to our strength, with the dual class exp penalty and the extreme
time it takes to level we should be more powerfull necros when we reach that
level. I do love role playing a sk, though but we should get more offensive
spells at a more powerfull level. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Andre

Andre

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
He's not whining or complainging, header clearly says so....

Further do Paladins take an exp pt penalty as dual classed?

George Gdowski, Jr wrote in message
<2FSD3.15133$kO6.35...@news.optonline.net>...
>pallys dont get DD spells either.. everyone i hear complain about SK's
>play the weakest ones DE and Humans..

George Gdowski, Jr

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

George Ruof

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
"George Gdowski, Jr" <ggdo...@optonline.net> wrote:

>pallys dont get DD spells either.. everyone i hear complain about SK's
>play the weakest ones DE and Humans..

The big difference is that Paladins get self healing spells and Shadow
Knights don't. I would gladly give up any other spell I have to get a
lifetap spell.

I'm really tired of sitting on my butt forever waiting to heal. I
really like playing an ogre and I'm sure that I'll be very happy with
the extra strength I have once I get to level 20, but right now I'm
wishing I picked a troll for the faster hit point regen.

--
George Ruof gr...@pacificnet.net
Senior Programmer New World Computing

I am NOT speaking for New World Computing or the 3DO company.

George Gdowski, Jr

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
well this all comes down to grouping.. SK's have alot of offense to add to
battles, but lack healing.. the weakness of a SK. Team with some healers
and you are a group thats a major force. Its obvious that Verant doesnt
want SK's to have the life tap spells in anyway because then SK's will be
too powerful. The only true problem I see with a SK is Harm Touch. I think
they should make LoH and HT the same.. either both being resisted in someway
(or alot)- like SK's HT.. or nearly unresistable and perfect working- like
Pallys LoH.

George Ruof <gr...@pacificnet.net> wrote in message

Marc Fuller

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
George Ruof wrote:

> "George Gdowski, Jr" <ggdo...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> >pallys dont get DD spells either.. everyone i hear complain about SK's
> >play the weakest ones DE and Humans..
>
> The big difference is that Paladins get self healing spells and Shadow
> Knights don't. I would gladly give up any other spell I have to get a
> lifetap spell.
>
> I'm really tired of sitting on my butt forever waiting to heal. I
> really like playing an ogre and I'm sure that I'll be very happy with
> the extra strength I have once I get to level 20, but right now I'm
> wishing I picked a troll for the faster hit point regen.

Think what life must be like for those that chose to play a Dark Elf. Instead
of massive Strength, or Regeneration, they get to start raising Hide at level
11. Oh boy. I worked out the weights, and if I buy a full set of store-bought
chainmail, I'll be overloaded by three pounds all the time. Not counting food,
or any attempt at collecting loot. If I actually tried to wear a full set of
Bronze Plate, I doubt I'd be able to move. (DEF SK's have a maximum natural STR
of 90. Feeble little buggers. :)

Marc Fuller

Marc Fuller

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
"George Gdowski, Jr" wrote:

> pallys dont get DD spells either.. everyone i hear complain about SK's
> play the weakest ones DE and Humans..

I chose a Dark Elf SK because that's what I wanted my character to be. Too bad
I get massively penalized for it, lacking Slam, Strength, and Regenration. I
shouldn't be forced to pick the "optimal" class/race combo for my character to
even be playable. If they just fixed pets so that monsters reacted to them as
if they were the same level as their owner, things would be better, at least I'd
get something like Dual Wield. As it is, I can't even summon my pet in most
cases. Not just because my group won't allow it, but because I'd be train-dead
before the spell-sparks even stopped. They aren't even great for when I try to
solo, because *everything* attacks them. Lions, wolves, bears, Orc Pawns,
everything. I even had one that was so low, that Decaying Skeletons would try
to gang up on him.

Marc Fuller

Marc Fuller

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
"George Gdowski, Jr" wrote:

> well this all comes down to grouping.. SK's have alot of offense to add to
> battles, but lack healing.. the weakness of a SK. Team with some healers
> and you are a group thats a major force. Its obvious that Verant doesnt
> want SK's to have the life tap spells in anyway because then SK's will be
> too powerful. The only true problem I see with a SK is Harm Touch. I think
> they should make LoH and HT the same.. either both being resisted in someway
> (or alot)- like SK's HT.. or nearly unresistable and perfect working- like
> Pallys LoH.

Lifetap would make a SK too powerful? Being able to drain a whopping 10 points
of health at level 9 would be unbalancing? (Assuming a DEF SK with 109 INT.)
Not to mention that you'd have to drain that health from some monster, and if
you're unlucky, even a level 1 Moss Snake might do 10 points of damage before
you Lifetap it to death. Personally, I still think that Harm Touch should do as
much damage as Lay of Hands restores health. Equal effectiveness, opposite
function. Palladin returns to full health, and finishes the monster off, then
heals himself afterwords. Shadow Knight just kills it outright, and crawls away
to recover. Since Harm Touch is resistable, and only works once per day, I
doubt you'd have too much of a problem with SK's going around assisinating
yellows.

SKs also have the weakest offensive skills of any of the fighters, except
possibly Rogues. They can't kick, they can't dual wield, they can't throw, and
they don't get critical hits of any kind. Until they get Clinging Darkness and
Fear, their spells are mostly just for increasing their casting skills. If you
play as a DEF, you don't get STR damage bonuses or Slam or Regeneration. They
can't even use their pets, 90% of the time, because the stupid things are a
garunteed death-by-train. (I'm still trying to figure out what the advantage in
being a DEF Shadow Knight is, to offset their weaknesses in every other area.
I'm not sure being able to practice Hide before level 35 quite makes up for the
rest.)

Marc Fuller

George Ruof

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
"George Gdowski, Jr" <ggdo...@optonline.net> wrote:

>well this all comes down to grouping.. SK's have alot of offense to add to
>battles, but lack healing.. the weakness of a SK. Team with some healers
>and you are a group thats a major force. Its obvious that Verant doesnt
>want SK's to have the life tap spells in anyway because then SK's will be
>too powerful. The only true problem I see with a SK is Harm Touch. I think
>they should make LoH and HT the same.. either both being resisted in someway
>(or alot)- like SK's HT.. or nearly unresistable and perfect working- like
>Pallys LoH.

I'd like harm touch to be a little less resistable or to do more damage
at the same resistance level. Either way would be the same to me. I
can live with it the way it is though since if I'm using it I'm pretty
sure I'm going to die anyway. :)

I don't really think a ~20 point lifetap spell would spoil anything. A
palaldin does the same damage as me and can heal and buff himself. I
just want to be able to lifetap a little at the end of a battle so I
don't have to sit so long. Hell, just give me minor healing that's
completely useless for anything but healing after a fight.

I'd love to always be in a group with a healer but sometimes that's just
not possible.

Alex Mars

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
>From: Marc Fuller MarcF...@worldnet.att.net
>Date: Wed, 15 September 1999 10:44 PM EDT

>Think what life must be like for those that chose to play a Dark Elf.
>Instead
>of massive Strength, or Regeneration, they get to start raising Hide at level
>11.

DE SKs can't raise Hide until lvl 35, according to the training menu when I'm
in the guild.

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Johan C.

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Aye paladins gets the xp penality as well as other hybrids.
Was supposed to balance the game since we were "better" than pure classes
(better than a cleric because we can tank and beter than a warrior as we
can heal ourselves.).

Sir Morimir Urcondacil,
Paladin of Tunare,
Deputy of Rivervalle,
32nd Circle,
Karana.

Marc Fuller

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

All Dark Elves get Hide as a Racial skill, just like Wood Elves get Foraging.
As far as I know, if your class can use a Racial skill, it starts to increase
normally just as soon as your level passes the preset skill value. All Shadow
Knights can train Hide at level 35, but Dark Elves start with it, and start
increasing around level 10 or so. You just can't get any help from your
Guildmaster till level 35. I'm told that Halfling and Wood Elf Rogues get the
same benefit. My SK is level 9, I'll let you know what happens when I hit level
12 (not my main character, so it could take a few months.)

Marc Fuller

jav...@my-deja.com

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
My main point is simply that the ShadowKnight spells at 9,15, and 22
are extremely poor. Couple that with No Buffs, No direct damage and you
have a very weak tank with spells that aren't overly beneficial to a
group.
Even in groups one is somewhat self-dependant..But when I tank next to
a 25 Ranger who Snares, Crit hits with a bow, DDs, then melee's with
dual wield, double attack...If you can't get the picture there, then I
can't explain it any better. And at 25 I've suffered a LOT more trying
to level, being KOS most places and yet my char is much weaker meleeing
then a Ranger, and the Rangers spells are much more useful. I would
guess I should be equal, but we're not....

Paladins AND SK's should get kick. Period. Since Warriors have crit
hits, better weapons, better armor, better magic resistance, etc what is
the benefit of being a hybrid? In a game based on grouping the SK spells
are terrible in a group, with the exception of Fear, and this was nerfed
so its resisted by blues......So for the exp penalty we really dont get
much.

SKs SHOULD get better spells. Rangers have Ranger only spells. Why not
make a few SK only ones, instead of giving me the ability to heal my
pet. < now THAT's useful>.

I guess that Verant looks at everything based on the Powergaming races.
Troll SK only. The Smaller SK races are not balanced. We are 98% warrior
and 2% Necromancer.

Give Paladins and SKs kick. Both classes need it, since we are SO much
weaker then warriors who get crits and have a MUCH easier life then us
and much better weapons. All without that wonderful exp penalty.

Redo the SK Spells and give us DD ones and ones that WILL make us
valuable to a group. 40+ SKs with Soul Leech and PoF armor are probably
happy with the class. Us non-powergamers trying to level and Roleplay
are not.

In article <37E0580F...@worldnet.att.net>,

Frosty

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
George Gdowski, Jr (ggdo...@optonline.net) wrote:
: pallys dont get DD spells either.. everyone i hear complain about SK's
: play the weakest ones DE and Humans..

DEs are suppose to be the high-magic end of the SKs ... But it's kind
of hard for them to use the spells when there are only 2-3 anyone uses
up to lvl 30 (and those have basicly no damage effect).

Humans are the status quo. They have no racial modifiers for XP so they
should level faster. -should-.

Regardless, all SKs should be more powerful then a Warrior. Why?
Isn't that why SKs have a 25% XP penalty (note: this penalty is
also referred to as the higher XP requirement to level an SK).

As a side note, the high difficulty level has nothing to do with leveling
but is meant to indicate that you are KOS in a lot of areas and are very
restricted in what and where you can go.

Frosty

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
George Gdowski, Jr (ggdo...@optonline.net) wrote:
: well this all comes down to grouping.. SK's have alot of offense to add to

: battles, but lack healing.. the weakness of a SK. Team with some healers
: and you are a group thats a major force. Its obvious that Verant doesnt
: want SK's to have the life tap spells in anyway because then SK's will be
: too powerful. The only true problem I see with a SK is Harm Touch. I think
: they should make LoH and HT the same.. either both being resisted in someway
: (or alot)- like SK's HT.. or nearly unresistable and perfect working- like
: Pallys LoH.

At level 25 which is better, an SK or a Warrior? Well, if you take all
the spells away from an SK the Warrior is obviously better (more HP, higher
AC, more abilities, more weapons to use).

Ok, now let's add the spells to the SK and ... It's still not even equal
to a Warrior. Why? Well, the spells do not provide the SK with any
help. We could go through all of the spells, but it's fairly obvious
it's nerfed up the hilt.

for example:
Siphon Strength: one-time use, give SK +10 str, -10 str to MOB
Disease : one-time use, 5pt damage, prevents MOB regen
All Pet Spells : at 1/2 caster's lvl it's laughable. Ever see an
SK with a pet? If so, how often? I haven't.
Fear : nice and powerful, if you can ever get it off, and
if it's not resisted. As an SK is in combat the
extremely long casting time for this makes it useless.
Vampiric Embrace: sounds nice, pretty useless. It takes up a lot of
mana, and lasts for a very short duration. Most of
the time nothing happens. About every 12th hit you
will siphon 12 health from the MOB at lvl 25.
Protection From Cold: the only shareable buff, but what SK goes
to Permafrost? Not many. And we already have a
high resistance to cold for some reason (even the
trolls from the swamp, go figure that one).

But an SK is suppose to be balanced, right? WRONG! An SK is suppose to
be better then a Warrior. Why? That is what the XP penalty is for.

http://www.sotmesc.org/shadowknight

Bruce Z. Lysik

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

F> -10 str to MOB Disease : one-time use, 5pt damage, prevents MOB
F> All Pet Spells : at 1/2 caster's lvl it's laughable.
F> Ever see an SK with a pet? If so, how often? I haven't.

Why /don't/ we see SK's with pets? Just consider it as an extra
attack.

Maybe the problem is we've got stupid players who see "Ooh! I get a
pet! I'll play just like a necromancer now!". But it's obviously
just meant to be an extra attack with the SK fights.

--
Bruce Z. Lysik <eld...@logrus.com> http://www.logrus.com/~eldrik
Nliben the Gnome on Rallos Zek. "Animations. *grumble* Highpass."

George Gdowski, Jr

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
MY 16th lvl ogre Sk kicked the crap out of a 18th lvl Barb Warrior. Those
"weak" spells you mentioned help me toy around with the little guy after my
HT scared him to run. I first hit him with clinging darkness again to slow
his flee down to a walk. Then I was slapping him around some until it wore
off. He must have had SoW because he was much faster. So, I stopped and
cast Fear and watched him turn around and walk towards me. This was the
funniest thing I have ever seen, I got some more whacks in and he then
returned to control and fled. I got one more darkness on him and a few more
whacks, but ran out of mana and he made the zone. Overall, I took about
one bubble dmg and he had about one left. I was hoping my siphon str would
encumber him.. but it didnt. Other than that I think that silly barbarian
who told me I had no honor for at first declining his duel, learned his
lesson.

kjutaa

> At level 25 which is better, an SK or a Warrior? Well, if you take all
> the spells away from an SK the Warrior is obviously better (more HP,
higher
> AC, more abilities, more weapons to use).
>
> Ok, now let's add the spells to the SK and ... It's still not even equal
> to a Warrior. Why? Well, the spells do not provide the SK with any
> help. We could go through all of the spells, but it's fairly obvious
> it's nerfed up the hilt.
>
> for example:

> Siphon Strength: one-time use, give SK +10 str, -10 str to MOB
> Disease : one-time use, 5pt damage, prevents MOB regen
> All Pet Spells : at 1/2 caster's lvl it's laughable. Ever see an

> SK with a pet? If so, how often? I haven't.

Marc Fuller

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
"Bruce Z. Lysik" wrote:

> Why /don't/ we see SK's with pets? Just consider it as an extra
> attack.
>
> Maybe the problem is we've got stupid players who see "Ooh! I get a
> pet! I'll play just like a necromancer now!". But it's obviously
> just meant to be an extra attack with the SK fights.

You don't see many SK's with pets because they cause massive trains. In a place
like Guk, it goes something like this:

SK summons pet, walks into a room, where everything is at least 10 levels lower
than himself.
All the frogs see his pet, which is lower level than them, and attack it,
killing it almost instantly.
All the frogs attack the SK, either killing him, or driving him to the zone.
All the frogs have a joyous time killing everyone they spotted on the way to the
zone.
All the players in the dungeon start bitching out the SK for being such a moron.

Shadow Knights, and pet users in general, would be a lot more welcome in groups
if the monsters /conned the pet at the same level as the owner. I mean, on the
PvP servers, do you see players /conning a Shadow Knight and his pet and going
"Hmmm, that guy in full Rubicite is red to me, but his pet is blue! I bet I can
take him!"

Marc Fuller

Bruce Z. Lysik

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

M> You don't see many SK's with pets because they cause massive
M> trains. In a place like Guk, it goes something like this:

Forget places like Guk. The post I responded to said that SK's never
use pets because they're lame. I responded that pets should be
treated as extra attacks, and you /should/ see SK's with pets.

SK's /do/ hunt in outdoor zones where pets would be fine, and not
cause trains. So is the previous poster just dead wrong, and SK's do
use pets in outdoor zones? Or is every SK stupid and ignoring the
advantage of using a pet in outdoor zones?

George Gdowski, Jr

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
My Ogre Sk has an INT of 96.. thats plenty for the spells we have to cast.

As for the penalties.. Trolls suffer the highest penalty because of regen..
other than that the DE and Ogre are the second most penalized and finally
humans who would be the least penalized of the SK class

Marc Fuller

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
"Bruce Z. Lysik" wrote:

> M> You don't see many SK's with pets because they cause massive
> M> trains. In a place like Guk, it goes something like this:
>
> Forget places like Guk. The post I responded to said that SK's never
> use pets because they're lame. I responded that pets should be
> treated as extra attacks, and you /should/ see SK's with pets.
>
> SK's /do/ hunt in outdoor zones where pets would be fine, and not
> cause trains. So is the previous poster just dead wrong, and SK's do
> use pets in outdoor zones? Or is every SK stupid and ignoring the
> advantage of using a pet in outdoor zones?

Sorry. You hadn't quoted that part, and I didn't check the posts before yours.
I generally assume that anything relavent would have been quoted. The problem
does still exist in outdoor zones. It's reduced, but it's still there. My SK
just hit level 9, and can summon a pet by holding a Skull of Jhen'Tra. When I
wander around with it, looking for blue Skeletons or Bears, I'm constantly being
attacked by Shadow Wolves and Bears that con green to me, but not to my pet. In
exchange for getting an extra attack, I'm getting attacked much more often.
Since SK's have absolutely no healing spells, and DEF SK's have no regeneration,
getting attacked all the time is a big deal, even by greens. Yes, they
generally wiff or hit for only a point or two, but sometimes they get lucky. I
imagine it'd be much worse in an area more heavily crittered than Nektulos. And
it's just plain annoying. Plus, I can't use my one racial advantage, Hiding
while I heal, or my pet explodes.

Marc Fuller

Bruce Z. Lysik

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

M> The problem does still exist in outdoor zones. It's reduced,
M> but it's still there.
<snip part about pets getting attacked by lower level mobs>

Up until recently my primary character was an enchanter. I /always/
used a pet. This is a problem with pets in general, really. I
suppose the SKs have it worse off because their pet is half their
level, rather than just 3 levels lower or so.

But I still believe pets are feasible, you just have to be a bit more
careful with SK pets.

Frosty

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Bruce Z. Lysik (eld...@logrus.com) wrote:
: >>>>> "M" == Marc Fuller <MarcF...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
:
: M> You don't see many SK's with pets because they cause massive

: M> trains. In a place like Guk, it goes something like this:
:
: Forget places like Guk. The post I responded to said that SK's never
: use pets because they're lame. I responded that pets should be
: treated as extra attacks, and you /should/ see SK's with pets.
:
: SK's /do/ hunt in outdoor zones where pets would be fine, and not
: cause trains. So is the previous poster just dead wrong, and SK's do
: use pets in outdoor zones? Or is every SK stupid and ignoring the
: advantage of using a pet in outdoor zones?

SK's do'nt use pets outside either. As pets make trains in
dungeons, they attract everything in a wide radius that you
get no xp for outdoors. This is annoying and dangerous when
you are already engaged in a fight to have some puma, skeleton
or other low-level MOB taking free shots on you.

George Ruof

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
eld...@logrus.com (Bruce Z. Lysik) wrote:

> M> You don't see many SK's with pets because they cause massive
> M> trains. In a place like Guk, it goes something like this:
>
>Forget places like Guk. The post I responded to said that SK's never
>use pets because they're lame. I responded that pets should be
>treated as extra attacks, and you /should/ see SK's with pets.
>
>SK's /do/ hunt in outdoor zones where pets would be fine, and not
>cause trains. So is the previous poster just dead wrong, and SK's do
>use pets in outdoor zones? Or is every SK stupid and ignoring the
>advantage of using a pet in outdoor zones?

I always have a pet in an outdoor zone unless I am in a large group
where it is not beneficial. I will also not summon a pet if the
majority of the mobs I am going to fight require a magic weapon to hit.
I'm only a level 14 SK so my pets don't hit magic. I'm not really sure
they ever will, but I'll find out someday.

Xenomorph

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Rangers are just so powerfull, arent they?

Here's waht you do:

Step 1: Delete your character.

Step 2: Make a Ranger.

There you go! now YOU have all that awsome power!

--

WebMaster - http://xenomorph.net
Guild Leader - Seekers of Lore - Xegony Server

Marc Fuller

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Xenomorph wrote:

> Rangers are just so powerfull, arent they?
>
> Here's waht you do:
>
> Step 1: Delete your character.
>
> Step 2: Make a Ranger.
>
> There you go! now YOU have all that awsome power!
>
> --

You're missing the point. If I'd wanted a Ranger, that's what I would have made
to start with. I wanted a Shadow Knight, and foolishly assumed that they would
be just as useful in a group as a Ranger. They are not. Take their spells for
instance. At level 9, Rangers get a decent armoring spell, Skin Like Wood, and
Minor Healing. Not great, but definitely better than no healing at all.
Rangers get the excellent spell Snare, which is better than Root for stopping
runners in just about every way. They also get Endure Fire, a Ranger-only spell
called Feet Like Cat, a fairly weak debuff/DoT (Flame Lick), and the Wizard
spell Glimpse. Shadow Knights get exactly one buffing spell, Siphon Strength.
Their pet might also be considered a decent buff, if it wasn't suicide to use it
in most dungeons, and dangerous to use it outdoors. Sipon Strength has half the
duration of any buff I've seen except possibly FireFist. Sense Corpse isn't
that useful, since it's very rare that anyone dies without using the /loc
command. Sense Undead is almost totally useless, because it normally just locks
onto the closest undead pet. Invisibility to Undead is moderately useful, and I
can see that it might be a decent spell when traveling in South Ro. As far as
I'm concerned, the SK's Disease spell is just for practicing Conjuration so you
don't fizzle a dozen times when you *do* decide it's safe to use a pet. And we
mustn't forget the indespensible Reclaim Energy, which seems to restore about
one point of mana per level of your pet, in exchange for destroying your pet.
(My 16th level Magician doesn't even get a noticeable return from this spell.)

If they just changed the way that monsters reacted to your pets, (monsters
should see the master's level, not the pet's level) then Shadow Knights would
instantly be a lot better. If it wasn't attacked by just about everything that
saw it, a Shadow Knight's pet could be considered a fairly good buff, since it
provides about 100 disposable hit points, and extra attacks, as well as
defending against all the weak monsters that tend to jump on you when you sit
down to heal. Unfortunately, at the moment a SK's pet is merely a monster
magnet.

As the Rogues have been pointing out, every class in the game should be
balanced, and some of them aren't. Most of the other classes are viable, either
in groups or solo. Shadow Knights and Rogues are not. Neither can solo very
well at all, since they have all the disadvanteges of being a melee class, and
few of the advantages. And neither has a great deal to offer a group. Rogues
get their Backstab, which usually seems to result in a dead Rogue, and Shadow
Knights get their pet, which usually seems to result in a dead group.

Marc Fuller

Tim

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

Marc Fuller <MarcF...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> You're missing the point. If I'd wanted a Ranger, that's what I would
have made
> to start with. I wanted a Shadow Knight, and foolishly assumed that they
would
> be just as useful in a group as a Ranger. They also get Endure Fire, a

Ranger-only spell
> called Feet Like Cat,

Shamans get this spell as well. I agree with the rest of your post though.

Franke

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
I agree with the above....Harm touch and the monster magnet pet are my pet
gripes as well..

Aleval

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
eld...@logrus.com (Bruce Z. Lysik) wrote:

>SK's /do/ hunt in outdoor zones where pets would be fine, and not
>cause trains. So is the previous poster just dead wrong, and SK's do
>use pets in outdoor zones? Or is every SK stupid and ignoring the
>advantage of using a pet in outdoor zones?

Personally, I have found my pet to be very useful in outdoor
zones. I've found that it is necessary to be really careful in how I
use it, though. First, when soloing, I have found that it is suicide
to have the pet follow me around. Rather, I have it guard a location
in an out of the way spot with few wandering MOB's. I then pull my
intended quarry back to the pet.

While hunting kodiaks in rathe, this has proved invaluable.
The pet is able to intercept the incoming bear and give me time to get
off the clinging darkness/fear combo that allows me to take the kodi
down to about half of its hit points without taking any damage myself.
As a side note, Kodi's are high blue to me and I have almost never had
a problem with these spells being resisted.

Aleval
Shadow Knight
Innoruuk server

Aleval

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
gr...@pacificnet.net (George Ruof) wrote:

.
>I'm only a level 14 SK so my pets don't hit magic. I'm not really sure
>they ever will, but I'll find out someday.

I believe, but I am not certain, that the pet we get at 22nd
level can hit magic, if it is in the upper level range for that pet.
It's the same spell necro's get at 12th level and I know that, if the
necro is lucky and gets a tough pet, it can hit magic.

Lwalgee

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
Part of the problem with the warrior whines that lead to the buff patch for
them. "My 25th level warrior gets his butt kicked by a 22d level ranger".
Doh, the ranger at 22d level had to _earn_ more experience for his level than
you did at 25th level (or close to it). This does lead to the problem that in
a naked duel with rusty weapons, the hybrid could stomp the warrior of equal
level. Now with all the criticals going off the only way my ranger beats a
warrior (even one a level below me) in a duel is......snare and kite with bow,
cute and even in character. Toe to toe, even with buffs and spells, I lose,
barely, but I lose.