Monk Twinking

Steve Davis

Jan 21, 2001, 12:15:39 PM1/21/01
I'm starting a new monk...to be played rather casually. I plan to twink him
a bit. (For those of you who are anti-twinking, the goal is not to debate
that topic here. So either ignore my post or I will ignore yours.) My
question to the helpful souls out there is - how should I go about twinking
him. I'm planning an Iksar, but would still consider a Human if you think it
might be better, although I'm REALLY afraid I wouldn't like dealing with the
lack of infravision.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Javan

Jan 21, 2001, 2:32:08 PM1/21/01
You didn't say how much you have to spend, so I'll start low and work up.

Large Sewing Kit makes a nice backpack do to low weight.

Full set of Silk is nice, and relatively cheap, even if you have to make it
yourself. Cured silk is better, but harder to find and to make. Grab a set
of Wu's Gaunts, especially if human as it counts as a lightsource.

If you have more money to spare, consider some Fire Opal rings for extra HP
and AC.

You'll want some 1HB and 2HB weapons, as it is hard to raise them later (I'm
a 20th Monk with only 25 skill in 1HB and 2HB, so I know how hard it is).
Fighting Batons are great 1HB, about 1500pp for a pair. A Bamboo Bo Stick
is a nice 2HB, around 150pp.

Higher priced twink items include FBSS, Azure Sleeves, Enshrouded Veil,
Cougar Earrings.

"Steve Davis" <sdav...@gte.net> wrote in message

Sandjumper Jones

Jan 21, 2001, 3:51:59 PM1/21/01
If you have the money ...

Cougar Claw Earring (2)
Orc Fang Necklace
Sarnak Hide Mask (there's better, but forgot the name)
Crown of the Froglok Kings

Djarn's Amethyst Ring
Hardened Clay Bracer
Azure Sleeves
Luping Clawed Gauntlets (they're light, but Gem Inlaid [i think] has more
AC)
Velium Fire Wedding Ring

Drolvarg Mantle
Foreman's Tunic (Robe of the Lost Circle later on .. my monk's 19 and i'm
close to having one ;)
White Wolf-Hide Cloak
Thick Banded Belt/FBSS/Sash of the Dragonborn (That's the order I went ..
borrowing the SotDB from a friend ;)
Gatorscale Leggings
Iksar Hide Boots

for 1hb weapons, there's a lot of choices .. I started with Canes of the
Tranquil (11/25, weight 2.5 each), now i'm using Knuckle Dusters (14/28,
weight 1.0 each) .. Dusters are (rumored to be) better than fists until
level 57 .. and they're not the best weapons in the game. ;) Another upgrade
to 1h would be Jade Maces. Same dam/del ratio as Dusters, but they're 9/18
so you get faster attacks, letting the damage bonus kick in more often.

for 2hb, i started with an Adamantite Bo Stick (19/30, also called a Suicide
Stick, because at level 30+ it procs a 225 rain ...) 2hb really won't be
useful until you break the damage cap at level 20 (*still waiting*) .. my
friend has a Peacebringer (28/30) and is looking towards a Tranquil Staff.
Of course, this is all high-end stuff, so I won't be able to afford any of
that stuff for a long while ;) he just finished stripping his 53 warrior, so
had a few pieces of Cobalt to sell hehe ..

unless you go high-end (like a lot of the stuff i listed here), monk
equipment is usually rather cheap and affordable. don't spend all your money
on one high-end item, leaving yourself wearing cloth armor for the next 10
levels ..

hope that helps =)

--
Sandjumper Jones
Halfling Druid of the 45th Circle

Sean

Jan 22, 2001, 1:50:07 AM1/22/01
My Iksar Monk is using:
Velium Fire Opal
Sarnak Hide Mask
Foreman's Tunic
Shackle of Rock
Mesh Bracer
Raw Silk Legs
Wolf-hide Cloak
Fine Silk Turbin
Wolf Fur Legs
Drolvarg Mantle
Essence of Dol
Azure Sleeves
Raw Silk Gloves
Raw Silk Choker

Real nice to have the extra hitpoints. ;-)

--
Sean S. -:- ICQ: 1826323
(Email: sunymoon <AT> GeoCities >DOT< com )

Jeremy Music

Jan 22, 2001, 12:47:07 PM1/22/01

Iksar monk is better as long as you aren't worried about faction. Playing
casually this is probably the case. Iksar monk has to work harder at higher
levels to do some of their best quests, though, and always has difficulty
traveling. And of course Iksar can see in the dark and have better regen.

Twinking list:
Cooking spits are the best bags for monks except for expensive weight
reducing bags. Start out with a few of those.

Complete set of cured silk armor. 100pp or so, maybe a lot less.

And now for the pricey stuff:

Velium or Platinum fire emerald rings. +110 or +130 hp. Still making a big
difference on my monk at 30. Platinum version will be cheaper than they
used to due to people upgrading to the velium version. Find a deal. I got
a pair of PFE rings for 500pp.

Wu's fighting gauntlets. (also a light source)

Froglok King Crown (also a light source)

Runed Lava Pendant

Obsidian bead hoop (or a little more for orc fang or diamondine)

drake hide legs

crystal covered shroud (foreman's tunic, lockjaw tunic, others)

gatorscale arms/legs

Azure sleeves

Jboots (Ultimate twink item)

FBSS (Ultimate twink item #2)

Bamboo bo stick to keep 2h blunt skill up (and it's not bad at 8/20)

Cane of the Tranquil to keep 1h blunt skill up (11/25, 2.5 weight)

Adamantite bo stick as your primary weapon up until you hit 30 is awesome.
19/30 is a good 2h blunt. When that proc starts to fire at 30, though, it
will kill you. :) You can get these cheap from monks that just hit 30. I
think I paid 500pp for one, and probably could have gotten it for less.

Runed Fighters Staff. It sells for way way waaaaay too much since it weighs
6.0, but if you really want a nice twink item, a 19/20 weapon isn't half
bad.

Wu's trance sticks. Selling for about 2k these days except by ripoff
artists. Watch for the deals and avoid the scammers.

re...@lords.com

jaZZmanian Devil

Jan 22, 2001, 1:14:09 PM1/22/01
Jeremy Music wrote:
(a few questions on your list)

> Twinking list:
> Cooking spits are the best bags for monks except for expensive weight
> reducing bags. Start out with a few of those.

Can somebody tell the newbie what a cooking spit is, and where you get one? Is
this a drop from a mob, or something you just buy from a merchant/player?

> Velium or Platinum fire emerald rings. +110 or +130 hp. Still making a big
> difference on my monk at 30. Platinum version will be cheaper than they
> used to due to people upgrading to the velium version. Find a deal. I got
> a pair of PFE rings for 500pp.

<snip rest of dream list>
Sheesh.. I have no idea where lower level monks are getting this kind of money. I
think I've amassed like 25 Pp thus far, (by lvl 12) and I thought that was doing
really great. So as to all these wonderful items, are there any that you can just
quest for? Or that drop of creatures that you can kill in your teen levels? I'm
closing in on 13, am not twinked, don't have access to that sort of cash. I
would really like to know some good items that I can try for hunting/questing in
my upcoming levels. What are some likely candidates that won't require a 30+
group to get my hands on?
TIA
--
Jakys
No Longer Disgraced Monk of 12 Seasons, Silent Fist

Jeremy Music

Jan 22, 2001, 4:25:36 PM1/22/01
jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote:
>Jeremy Music wrote:
>(a few questions on your list)
>
>> Twinking list:
>> Cooking spits are the best bags for monks except for expensive weight
>> reducing bags. Start out with a few of those.
>
>Can somebody tell the newbie what a cooking spit is, and where you get one? Is
>this a drop from a mob, or something you just buy from a merchant/player?

You buy it from a merchant. They aren't always easy to find, but, for
instance, in Cabilis if you are looking _in_ the front door of the monk
guild the merchant that sells them is directly to your left (among a lot of
other merchants, check them all). They weigh 0.2 and have 6 slots and can
carry most anything. You can also make your own food sometimes, which is
almost always lighter than storebought food (don't start out doing that,
it's kind of a pain and requires research).

>> Velium or Platinum fire emerald rings. +110 or +130 hp. Still making a big
>> difference on my monk at 30. Platinum version will be cheaper than they
>> used to due to people upgrading to the velium version. Find a deal. I got
>> a pair of PFE rings for 500pp.
>
><snip rest of dream list>
>Sheesh.. I have no idea where lower level monks are getting this kind of money. I
>think I've amassed like 25 Pp thus far, (by lvl 12) and I thought that was doing
>really great. So as to all these wonderful items, are there any that you can just
>quest for? Or that drop of creatures that you can kill in your teen levels? I'm
>closing in on 13, am not twinked, don't have access to that sort of cash. I
>would really like to know some good items that I can try for hunting/questing in
>my upcoming levels. What are some likely candidates that won't require a 30+
>group to get my hands on?

Deceptive subject. You said "monk twinking" when you meant "monk
equipping." :)

Go for a full suit of cured silk. Buy it a piece at a time and never spend
more than 2pp per AC.

Your upgrades will be, in order of expense or ease to acquire:
Wu's fighting gauntlets (40pp)
3 AC enchanter made earrings (25pp?)
Drake hide legs, sleeves, belt (75pp)

About the time you can start to afford 75pp items, I highly recommend a trip
to Dalnir's in Warslik's Woods (in Kunark). Monk crescent armor drops
there. The crescent slippers and tunic are both very good, and the other
pieces are all decent upgrades to cured silk. It's no-drop, and dropped by
level 30ish creatures on the 2nd and 3rd levels of this dungeon (with no way
back to the entrance from those levels, you have to go out the portal at the
bottom of 2nd or 3rd level). So be sure and have your feign death and mend
working well before you go there (I got a tunic at level 23, and it was
close). This is also where the bamboo bo staff, adamantite bo stick,
fighting batons, and maybe some other monk stuff drops. A good monk zone.

After that you're good. Monks aren't very reliant on equipment. The Wu's
fighting gauntlets should be your first choice though (other than plain
cured silk). They provide light, let you hit magic, and are lightweight.

(Save my other post, it gives you a list of items to look for in your 40s.)
re...@lords.com

Dream King

Jan 23, 2001, 9:04:53 AM1/23/01
re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music) wrote:

<...>

>About the time you can start to afford 75pp items, I highly recommend a trip
>to Dalnir's in Warslik's Woods (in Kunark). Monk crescent armor drops
>there. The crescent slippers and tunic are both very good, and the other
>pieces are all decent upgrades to cured silk. It's no-drop, and dropped by
>level 30ish creatures on the 2nd and 3rd levels of this dungeon (with no way
>back to the entrance from those levels, you have to go out the portal at the
>bottom of 2nd or 3rd level). So be sure and have your feign death and mend
>working well before you go there (I got a tunic at level 23, and it was
>close). This is also where the bamboo bo staff, adamantite bo stick,
>fighting batons, and maybe some other monk stuff drops. A good monk zone.

I'm pretty sure the adamantite bo stick only drops in Sebilis.

Jeremy Music

Jan 23, 2001, 10:56:11 AM1/23/01

I thought so too (and have seen it drop there), but I keep seeing references
to it droping in Dalnir too. Who knows. It sells cheap no matter where it
drops because it becomes deadly at 30.

Lucifuge

Jan 23, 2001, 11:54:45 AM1/23/01
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:56:11 GMT, re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music)
wrote:

>I thought so too (and have seen it drop there), but I keep seeing references
>to it droping in Dalnir too. Who knows. It sells cheap no matter where it
>drops because it becomes deadly at 30.

>--
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> re...@lords.com
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I myself am still new to this world. What do you mean it becomes
deadly at 30?

Luci Fuge'
lucifuge@lords
Add.com to end

jaZZmanian Devil

Jan 23, 2001, 11:52:52 AM1/23/01
Jeremy Music wrote:

> > I'm pretty sure the adamantite bo stick only drops in Sebilis.
>
> I thought so too (and have seen it drop there), but I keep seeing references
> to it droping in Dalnir too. Who knows. It sells cheap no matter where it
> drops because it becomes deadly at 30.

That's about the third reference I've heard to this subject, and I'm totally
puzzled. Not that I'm in danger of having one or breaking level thirty any time
soon, but what happens to the weapon when you hit level 30? It just expodes or
something?

StanMann

Jan 23, 2001, 11:59:13 AM1/23/01

Lucifuge wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:56:11 GMT, re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music)
> wrote:
>
> >I thought so too (and have seen it drop there), but I keep seeing references
> >to it droping in Dalnir too. Who knows. It sells cheap no matter where it
> >drops because it becomes deadly at 30.

> >--
> >-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > re...@lords.com
> >-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> I myself am still new to this world. What do you mean it becomes
> deadly at 30?

Apparently, It procs a vicious AE effect. high taunt and personalized
damage.

HTH

StanMann

Aaron Michael Newton

Jan 23, 2001, 12:10:50 PM1/23/01
jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote:
: soon, but what happens to the weapon when you hit level 30? It just expodes or
: something?

Hehe... no. I starts to proc an AE effect.

-Aaron

--
****
Aaron Newton - fign...@louisville.edu - IRC: FigNewton

jman1...@my-deja.com

Jan 23, 2001, 12:49:45 PM1/23/01
anyone know where i can buy monk specific weapons and armor?

like magic gloves?

In article <%OEa6.218$hs2....@paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Jeremy Music

Jan 23, 2001, 1:37:40 PM1/23/01
Aaron Michael Newton <amne...@louisville.edu> wrote:
>jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote:
>: soon, but what happens to the weapon when you hit level 30? It just expodes or
>: something?
>
>Hehe... no. I starts to proc an AE effect.

Yeah, and the proc can knock more than a bubble of hp off a monk with a
single wave (and it's a rain spell, so 3 potential waves). There are uses
for it, but it can no longer be your main weapon once you hit 30.

Joe D

Jan 23, 2001, 3:19:49 PM1/23/01
Jeremy Music <re...@darkstar.qx.net> wrote:
> Aaron Michael Newton <amne...@louisville.edu> wrote:
>>jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote:
>>: soon, but what happens to the weapon when you hit level 30? It just expodes or
>>: something?
>>
>>Hehe... no. I starts to proc an AE effect.

> Yeah, and the proc can knock more than a bubble of hp off a monk with a
> single wave (and it's a rain spell, so 3 potential waves). There are uses
> for it, but it can no longer be your main weapon once you hit 30.

Sheesh, why not just rename the item "Mezbreaker" and be done with it?

Joe D
--
Jesus Christ died for your sins - so make it worth his time, eh?

Celaeno

Jan 23, 2001, 6:11:23 PM1/23/01
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:25:36 GMT, re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music)
wrote:

>jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>><snip rest of dream list>
>>Sheesh.. I have no idea where lower level monks are getting this kind of money. I
>>think I've amassed like 25 Pp thus far, (by lvl 12) and I thought that was doing
>>really great. So as to all these wonderful items, are there any that you can just
>>quest for? Or that drop of creatures that you can kill in your teen levels? I'm
>>closing in on 13, am not twinked, don't have access to that sort of cash. I
>>would really like to know some good items that I can try for hunting/questing in
>>my upcoming levels. What are some likely candidates that won't require a 30+
>>group to get my hands on?
>
>Deceptive subject. You said "monk twinking" when you meant "monk
>equipping." :)

Hey, it isn't his thread :)

>Go for a full suit of cured silk. Buy it a piece at a time and never spend
>more than 2pp per AC.

If you have slots where you don't have any gear, find a friendly
tailor-in-practice to make you raw silk armor. Not as good as the
cured stuff, but cheap and lighter than leather.

And the splitpaw gloves might be weighty, but they will be cheaper
than the gauntlets, and will do for magical hits until you can get
those. When you're done with them, sell them to a wis caster :)

Also, there's mesh armor that drops from frogloks and is monk
wearable. Don't know what the pieces sell for, but it shouldn't be too
costly if you find someone selling it.

Celaeno
Fier'dal druid of Erollisi Marr
Fiery Fists of Unity

Dream King

Feb 16, 2001, 2:44:38 PM2/16/01
re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music) wrote:

>Dream King <morp...@cent.com> wrote:
>>re...@darkstar.qx.net (Jeremy Music) wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure the adamantite bo stick only drops in Sebilis.
>
>I thought so too (and have seen it drop there), but I keep seeing references
>to it droping in Dalnir too. Who knows. It sells cheap no matter where it
>drops because it becomes deadly at 30.

There is a Bo Stick and a Bamboo Bo Stick that drops in Dalnir but it's
not the Adamantite one.