Most Wanted

Cam

Aug 1, 2001, 6:53:54 PM8/1/01
In your opinion at level 57+ what are the most wanted classes in a raid?

(Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)

I think I can start off by listing these:
1. Warrior
2. Cleric

~"You're dead when you're forgotten..."~

Tolynn

Aug 1, 2001, 7:17:46 PM8/1/01
>(Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)
>
>I think I can start off by listing these:
>1. Warrior
>2. Cleric

3. Wizard (assuming that the "Lure" line of spells is effective)
4. Shaman (assuming debuff and slow has a resonable chance of working)
5. Rogue (damage output and agro management)
6. Monk (same as #5)
7. ShadowKnight

just my .02$

<------(--o
Tolynn CantusDulcis
Bard of the 32nd Missed Note
Half-Elf Outcast of Freeport
o--)------>

Dark Tyger

Aug 1, 2001, 9:24:31 PM8/1/01
"Cam" <c...@nospam.core.com> wrote:

>In your opinion at level 57+ what are the most wanted classes in a raid?
>
>(Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)
>
>I think I can start off by listing these:
>1. Warrior
>2. Cleric

1. Cleric
2. Enchanter
3. Warrior

...I may not have end-game experience, but I have been told SK/Pall
can fill in for the warrior in a pinch. It's kinda hard to replace a
Cleric or an Enchanter.

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Change "mindspring.com" to "knology.net" to email

The night is my companion...solitude my guide.

Dark Tyger

Aug 1, 2001, 9:25:33 PM8/1/01
Tolynn <te...@test.com> wrote:

>>(Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)
>>
>>I think I can start off by listing these:
>>1. Warrior
>>2. Cleric
>
>3. Wizard (assuming that the "Lure" line of spells is effective)
>4. Shaman (assuming debuff and slow has a resonable chance of working)
>5. Rogue (damage output and agro management)
>6. Monk (same as #5)
>7. ShadowKnight
>
>just my .02$

Hm. No Enchanter.

Wizard at #3?!

Shannon

Aug 1, 2001, 10:30:13 PM8/1/01
Enchanter a definate MUST, as is the cleric...Overall, a warrior is
prefered....start with these three, and build up from there.
"Dark Tyger" <dark...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Dark Tyger

Aug 2, 2001, 1:21:29 AM8/2/01
"Shannon" <shanno...@home.com> wrote:

>Enchanter a definate MUST, as is the cleric...Overall, a warrior is
>prefered....start with these three, and build up from there.

Preferred, but not as vital as the other two. Insert "tank class" as
#3 on the list, with warrior being #1 preferred tank class.

Bard can almost fill in for the enchanter and as a secondary tank in a
desperate situation...but he's better off backing up the enchanter
than trying to be the enchanter. OVerall, I'd say he'd slide in #4.
And they're hard to come by at high levels.

Sang K. Choe

Aug 2, 2001, 3:20:19 AM8/2/01
On Wed, 01 Aug 2001 16:17:46 -0700, Tolynn <te...@test.com> wrote:

>>(Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)
>>
>>I think I can start off by listing these:
>>1. Warrior
>>2. Cleric
>
>3. Wizard (assuming that the "Lure" line of spells is effective)

Lure generates so much aggro that it's nearly useless for the damage
it generates--any wizard casting this too soon, dies. Cast it too
late and it's meaningless.

No the main reason for wizards is Dragon's Bane and Giant's Bane.

Those two spells have ridiculously low aggro. I'm not kidding when I
say 10 DB chain casted will generate less aggro than one 825hps lure.
That's 20khps of nuke which generates less aggro than a single 825hps
nuke.

I've had failed Yelinak raids where the last person to be summoned and
munched on was the wizard who had earlier chained about 12 to 14
dragon's bane. When we win against Yelinak or ST warders, none of the
DB casting wizards die. Even after dropping 10+ DB on the dragons.

>4. Shaman (assuming debuff and slow has a resonable chance of working)
>5. Rogue (damage output and agro management)

Switch them around.
You want massive melee damage more.

>6. Monk (same as #5)

Nahh, given a choice between a monk and rogue, get the rogue.

>7. ShadowKnight

SKs and Monks are usually for chain FD pulling in places like ToV so
you can clear the junk and get to the named.

-- Sang.

Sang K. Choe

Aug 2, 2001, 3:23:28 AM8/2/01
On Wed, 01 Aug 2001 20:24:31 -0500, Dark Tyger
<dark...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>1. Cleric
>2. Enchanter
>3. Warrior

In a zone like sleepers, an enchanter won't be doing much. I mean
other than right click on their snake on a stick and toss a clarity
here and there. Oh yeah, they can tash the non-named junk and die
real fast.

>...I may not have end-game experience, but I have been told SK/Pall
>can fill in for the warrior in a pinch.

Gotta be a DAMN big pinch since a fully buffed SK/Paladin with the
best gear possible won't last more than 3 seconds against some of the
"uber" mobs.

/disc defensive is the only thing that gives the clerics a chance to
get their heals off and even then getting that first CH to hit is
usually the most dangerous part of the encounter.

>It's kinda hard to replace a Cleric or an Enchanter.

Clerics, yes.
Enchanter, usually you need one per raid--unless it's a BIG freaking
raid in which case for sanity purposes, get a couple.

-- Sang.

BONDA170

Aug 2, 2001, 4:09:04 AM8/2/01

wrote:

>In your opinion at level 57+ what are the most wanted classes in a raid?
>
>(Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)

>I think I can start off by listing these:
>1. Warrior
>2. Cleric

How about necromancer's? how do they fare in this chart? maybe for after the
raid?

no one

Aug 2, 2001, 4:41:12 AM8/2/01
Warriors,chanters,clerics and shaman are the bedrock classes then add other
classes to spice the mix

"Cam" <c...@nospam.core.com> wrote in message

Dan Harmon

Aug 2, 2001, 9:12:54 AM8/2/01

> Tolynn <te...@test.com> wrote:
>
> >>(Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)
> >>
> >>I think I can start off by listing these:
> >>1. Warrior
> >>2. Cleric
> >
> >3. Wizard (assuming that the "Lure" line of spells is effective)
> >4. Shaman (assuming debuff and slow has a resonable chance of working)
> >5. Rogue (damage output and agro management)
> >6. Monk (same as #5)
> >7. ShadowKnight
> >
> >just my .02$
>
> Hm. No Enchanter.
>
> Wizard at #3?!

Nope, no enchanter. Not on boss critters. There's very little for
enchanters to do after they give the clerics clarity and the warriors speed.

Not much reason for a shaman either unless, like he said, there's some
chance of slowing it down. Otherwise the shaman is useless.

Rogue & monk? Sure. Wizard? Probably a waste of a group spot. Don't see
much point in an SK, but I don't know much about them.

Dan Harmon

Aug 2, 2001, 9:18:39 AM8/2/01

"Cam" <c...@nospam.core.com> wrote in message
> In your opinion at level 57+ what are the most wanted classes in a raid?
>
> (Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)
>
> I think I can start off by listing these:
> 1. Warrior
> 2. Cleric

You're talking about the absolute end-game, right? I mean THE uberist of
uber critters?

You've pretty much nailed it. Just those 2 classes. Of course, the
likelihood of you being able to get enough warriors and clerics is damned
near nil, so toss in the other tanks (ranger isn't a tank). Toss in shaman
and druids for backup healing. Allow the enchanter around long enough to
buff right before cleric/shaman buffs, then they can leave. A bard per
group would be great as well...hey, SOMEONE has to die first, and until they
do they'll add to that group with their wonderful songs.

jaZZmanian Devil

Aug 2, 2001, 9:31:10 AM8/2/01
Dan Harmon wrote:

> Nope, no enchanter. Not on boss critters. There's very little for
> enchanters to do after they give the clerics clarity and the warriors speed.
>
> Not much reason for a shaman either unless, like he said, there's some
> chance of slowing it down. Otherwise the shaman is useless.
>
> Rogue & monk? Sure. Wizard? Probably a waste of a group spot. Don't see
> much point in an SK, but I don't know much about them.

Which class get's that trick where they drain all the mob's mana away,
(hopefully) so that it can't keep CHealing itself? Is that bards?
(Not having gotten to high levels yet, I honestly don't know. I just remember
reading some strategy guide where they say that Vox, for example, will keep
healing herself unless you have a bunch of <some class> sucking all her mana
dry.
--
Jakugg Blackheart, Troll Warrior of 43 Campaigns
a.k.a.

Kilmir

Aug 2, 2001, 10:12:45 AM8/2/01
That would be the enchanters. I once read a tactic for Vox that only
required 3 groups, 1 with tanks and clerics, the 2 others with additional
tanks for a second wave and wizards to finish it off in one and enchanters
to drain it of mana in the second.

Never tested it myself though :)

"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

Tolynn

Aug 2, 2001, 10:53:02 AM8/2/01
>...hey, SOMEONE has to die first, and until they
>do they'll add to that group with their wonderful songs.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry ;-)

That should be the official description of the EQ Bard class :-P

Ben Haddick

Aug 2, 2001, 11:45:10 AM8/2/01
"BONDA170" <bond...@aol.com> wrote in message

Last ditch "Oh crap" failed raid cleanup, summon all the corpses to
zone/safe spot and have the cleric rez

Necro's do get a few buffs though, and for Trakanon raids should be DMFing
everyone, for the extra poison resist.
Or if they managed to get in on a raid, mana feed the clerics, and if
necessary, a CoHing mage.

Ben Haddick

Aug 2, 2001, 11:46:08 AM8/2/01

"Cam" <c...@nospam.core.com> wrote in message
> In your opinion at level 57+ what are the most wanted classes in a raid?
>
> (Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)
>
> I think I can start off by listing these:
> 1. Warrior
> 2. Cleric

Every other list in this thread is fine and dandy, but no one seems to have
remembered the Magician, some raids need CoH to get set up.

Martin N. Steed

Aug 2, 2001, 11:59:55 AM8/2/01
Aug 2, 2001, 5:14:35 PM8/2/01

"Martin N. Steed" <martin...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Bah, semantical nonsense, It is preferable to be able to CoH people in
rather than have everybody fight there way.

Mark Bradshaw

Aug 2, 2001, 8:13:55 PM8/2/01
On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:12:54 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>"Dark Tyger" <dark...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> >3. Wizard (assuming that the "Lure" line of spells is effective)
>> >4. Shaman (assuming debuff and slow has a resonable chance of working)
>> >5. Rogue (damage output and agro management)
>> >6. Monk (same as #5)
>> >7. ShadowKnight
>> >
>> >just my .02$
>>
>> Hm. No Enchanter.
>>
>> Wizard at #3?!
>
>Nope, no enchanter. Not on boss critters. There's very little for
>enchanters to do after they give the clerics clarity and the warriors speed.

well, yeah, but clarity and haste are probably justification enough to
include them along... although, I woudln't put them ahead of the bard,
who can fill in both roles as well as adding some respectable amounts
of damage.

That being said, I'd put Shaman below both, as the 'chanter can haste
better than the shammy, and most of the stat buffs are pretty
worthless. Although it's being reported that Avatar might have some
use.

>Rogue & monk? Sure. Wizard? Probably a waste of a group spot. Don't see
>much point in an SK, but I don't know much about them.

If going against a Velious mob, the Wizard probably has a pretty good
spot with his Bane line of spells. A shame that's one of the very
very few instances in which he's going to be of any use at all.

Cam

Aug 2, 2001, 10:19:42 PM8/2/01
CoH?
"Ben Haddick" <bhad...@SPAMISBADhotmail.com> wrote in message

Cam

Aug 2, 2001, 10:19:08 PM8/2/01
They get aggored on a lot?
"Tolynn" <te...@test.com> wrote in message

Dan Harmon

Aug 2, 2001, 10:26:53 PM8/2/01

"Mark Bradshaw" <Nfinit_...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >Nope, no enchanter. Not on boss critters. There's very little for
> >enchanters to do after they give the clerics clarity and the warriors
speed.

> well, yeah, but clarity and haste are probably justification enough to
> include them along... although, I woudln't put them ahead of the bard,
> who can fill in both roles as well as adding some respectable amounts
> of damage.

Bards don't do a respectable amount of damage...that's like saying shaman do
(melee-wise). :)

Sure, enchanters are great to buff, then get the hell out of the way. Don't
think I'm anti-enchanter...mine is level 52. I've just seen the future, and
I have a very minor role in it. When many of the enchanter epic parts are
preferably done without much help from an enchanter, that kinda proves the
case.

And yes, Jaz, enchanters are the mana thieves. I have 2 spells that suck
mana from a caster and gives it to me, plus one that just steals mana from
the critter. And yes, that would be a viable use of an enchanter as long as
he's not stupid enough to cast tashan within the first minute (insta-death
on any 51+ critter).

BUT, when it comes to xp groups it's clerics, enchanters, then anyone
else...so it balances. :)

Cam

Aug 2, 2001, 10:22:56 PM8/2/01
Thanks for you replies keep debating!!

QUESTION:

I haven't seen mages, necros recommended, mind explaining why?

I mean at level 57+, I would think their pets would be doing quite a lot of
dmg...and mages can dmg shield I think...necros can be mana batteries and
give some hp out...

Dan Day

Aug 3, 2001, 12:09:57 AM8/3/01
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:19:42 -0500, "Cam" <c...@nospam.core.com> wrote:

>CoH?

Call of the Hero (or Call of Heroes, I always forget which).

High-level Magician spell that lets them target a person
(usually a group member), cast a spell, and summon them to
the spot where the Magician is, no matter where else in the
zone the target may have been.

Sang K. Choe

Aug 3, 2001, 5:10:26 AM8/3/01
On 02 Aug 2001 08:09:04 GMT, bond...@aol.com (BONDA170) wrote:

>How about necromancer's? how do they fare in this chart? maybe for after the
>raid?

They dump mana real nice.

-- Sang.

Sang K. Choe

Aug 3, 2001, 5:12:35 AM8/3/01
wrote:

>Not much reason for a shaman either unless, like he said, there's some

>chance of slowing it down. Otherwise the shaman is useless.

Psst: Wouldn't say useless. You'll want at least one to cast that
Focus of shits, Rigourous Health and Primal Essence. That adds a bit
of the tank's hps. :-)

>Rogue & monk? Sure. Wizard? Probably a waste of a group spot.

Give me 8 DB wizards and I can kill Yelinak in about 2 mins with less
than 40 people.

They are certainly not a waste of a group spot.

-- Sang.

Tolynn

Aug 3, 2001, 10:38:36 AM8/3/01
>They get aggored on a lot?

Yup, bigtime

A Bard's primary role in a group is support. They can group Buff,
Heal, Clarity (lvl32 and up), Haste, and add Resists. In order to
manage agro Bards need to stop singing mid-fight at times, or start
singing after the fight has been going a while. As you can see when
not sining (to manage agro) the Bard is not helping either.

I love being a Bard. It offers a lot of interesting challenges ;-)

Ben wilson

Aug 8, 2001, 7:00:47 AM8/8/01
In article <bnohmtc6avela0gts...@4ax.com>, Dark Tyger
<dark...@mindspring.com> writes

>>Enchanter a definate MUST, as is the cleric...Overall, a warrior is
>>prefered....start with these three, and build up from there.
>
>Preferred, but not as vital as the other two. Insert "tank class" as
>#3 on the list, with warrior being #1 preferred tank class.
>
>Bard can almost fill in for the enchanter and as a secondary tank in a
>desperate situation...

From the original post:

In your opinion at level 57+ what are the most wanted classes in a raid?
(Raid = an ubber raid mob, in a zone like the sleepers or something...)

In the raids the OP was referring to, warrior *is* vital. If you don't
have 2 warriors and 2 clerics are a BARE minimum, don't even bother.

A bard can fill in for a warrior for a grand total of 20 seconds. 18
seconds of invul song, 2 seconds of combat. Then they're dead. Of
course, since the invul 'enhancement' they won't even be tanking for 17
of those seconds, so make that 3 seconds. Enchanters certainly make
things easier and C2/VoG/SotS is required on the toughest mobs, but you
can at least make a start on places like ST or ToV while waiting for one
to show up. Try having a Bard tank MotG with druid healing...

--
Demorgoth Demonia
Ogre Warlord

Ben wilson

Aug 8, 2001, 6:49:08 AM8/8/01
In article <qlca7.80555$li.59...@bin1.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>, Dan
Harmon <deha...@bigfoot.com> writes

I'm talking L60 raids here - Sleepers, nToV, etc.

Absolutely - can't have too many of either

>> >3. Wizard (assuming that the "Lure" line of spells is effective)

Not so much Lure as DragonsBane/GiantsBane being a 'can't ever have too
much' part of the raid.

>> >4. Shaman (assuming debuff and slow has a resonable chance of working)

Pre-fight buffs, during fight debuffs, excellent back-up healing

>> >5. Rogue (damage output and agro management)
>> >6. Monk (same as #5)

damage damage damage...

>> >7. ShadowKnight

>> Hm. No Enchanter.

Ubermob raids require enc buffing although they have a restricted mid-
fight role. Though a charmed 20khp mob makes a nice pet hehe

How about Rangers? Pred and Trueshot for a start

How about Bards? +atk songs, stackable DS, and a whole range of resists
and regens for every occasion

A mage or three? DS, mod rods, CoH, epic pet, and some good nukes

A funeral of necros? Manadumping may not be glamorous, but being a
battery to a DB/GB wiz will translate into 10s of k more damage, plus FD
and res ability and heal DoT on MT

A kite of Druids? PoG plus DS, resists and good healing

An honour of Paladins? 200 free hps to everyone on the raid, and
instacast CH each death

I'm sure I've forgotten someone, as well as ignored countless pluses to
the above classes. All I'm trying to point out is that just about every
class brings something to the table of ubermob raids, and no class is
useless or unwanted

Ben wilson

Aug 8, 2001, 7:07:09 AM8/8/01
In article <tmit4mi...@corp.supernews.com>, Ben Haddick <bhaddick@SP
AMISBADhotmail.com> writes

>Last ditch "Oh crap" failed raid cleanup, summon all the corpses to
>zone/safe spot and have the cleric rez

FD, /quit, res a noodle cleric - saves all that messy summoning

>Necro's do get a few buffs though, and for Trakanon raids should be DMFing
>everyone, for the extra poison resist.
>Or if they managed to get in on a raid, mana feed the clerics, and if
>necessary, a CoHing mage.

Group 1: Bard, wiz, wiz, wiz, wiz, wiz - all with DB/GB
Group 2: Bard, necro, necro, necro, necro, necro - all liched and
manadumping the wizards
C2 and PoG all round, regrowth on the necros

It may not be glamorous for the necro, but their mana is converted into
high ratio, low resist nuking power as fast as they can make it. Necros
are more than welcome on any raids I'm on

Ben wilson

Aug 8, 2001, 7:16:03 AM8/8/01
In article <tmit6i4...@corp.supernews.com>, Ben Haddick <bhaddick@SP
AMISBADhotmail.com> writes

>Every other list in this thread is fine and dandy, but no one seems to have
>remembered the Magician, some raids need CoH to get set up.

I've mentioned mages in another post. Unresistable damage shields, epic
uber-pet, mod rods, and some fairly hefty nukes, as well as the ever
welcome CoH (not just for set-up)

Ben wilson

Aug 8, 2001, 7:14:17 AM8/8/01
In article <Pqca7.80558$li.59...@bin1.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>, Dan
Harmon <deha...@bigfoot.com> writes

>> I think I can start off by listing these:
>> 1. Warrior
>> 2. Cleric
>
>You're talking about the absolute end-game, right? I mean THE uberist of
>uber critters?
>
>You've pretty much nailed it. Just those 2 classes.

That's the meat, but what good is a roast without all the trimmings. A
fully buffed and supported warrior doubles his effectiveness.

> Of course, the
>likelihood of you being able to get enough warriors and clerics is damned
>near nil, so toss in the other tanks (ranger isn't a tank).

But they double as a wizard with Trueshot...

> Toss in shaman
>and druids for backup healing. Allow the enchanter around long enough to
>buff right before cleric/shaman buffs, then they can leave. A bard per
>group would be great as well...hey, SOMEONE has to die first, and until they
>do they'll add to that group with their wonderful songs.

Their +ATK songs, for starters. When you're fighting a mob 15 levels
above you, every little bit of +ATK you can get makes a noticeable
difference. Fight Aerionia (sp?) in nToV, see your ATK drop 300 points,
and watch yourself hit for 1s and 2s if you don't believe the effect.
Mana, regen, stackable dam shields, massive resists, DotB, etc. etc.
etc. Although they don't double up very well, there's certainly room
for one per group on any raid