My EQ Impressions

Alex Mars

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
I've been playing just a bit and so far I'm not impressed. The graphics suck.
The 3D images are crude, although there are some nice effects in scenery and
architecture. Everyone looks the same, although there are rumours that
character appearance may be expanded in the actual release. All in all not too
different from Underlight. The multiple camera views are cool, especially
given that I don't really care for first person games any more (I played some
DOOM and then lost interest in FPS games).

I've only played about 3 or 4 hours and so far I haven't been able to find my
way out of a city so I can't comment on combat. I can comment that endless
sightseeing is boring. My wood elf fell off a tree-bridge and died while
wandering about and my dark elf is lost in the dark elf city. Anyone have any
city maps, let me know. I will escape the city and find some action if it
kills me. Ummm....wait a minute....

Game play is too "arcade" for me, jumping and clambering around on things. All
movement is by keyboard (think DOOM) and some people on the eq ng are calling
for joystick support. This game will favour the 13 year old video game freak
far more than UO and it may attract them as well.

The only roleplayers I came across were the dark elves I encountered, who also
couldn't find their way out of the city. We banded together until I drowned
while trying to swim to my guild hall (don't ask) and lost them. The
underwater graphics were o.k.

One thing is obvious, the graphics and artwork are done by boys who don't get
laid often, if ever. While male characters start in breeches and a vest or
coat (except the barbarians who wear kilts) females seem to only start in high
cut bikinis (except the barbarian lass who wears a kilt and a leather tube
top). The blonde sorceress on the logo is prime cheesecake, breasts spilling
out over her top. Don't get me wrong, I like unclad ladies as much or more
than the next guy but I think some women will be offended. The targeted
audience is obviously made up of horny males.

All in all, I won't be switching over to EQ, so if you are and you have swag on
LS or Sonoma, send it my way.

-You slip into your secret underwear, you get on over to the dark side of your
mind...

Guardian23

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
I don't really want to go into the whole scantily clad female characters
thing, as that has been hashed to death.. (BTW one of,if not the main Char.
designer. I heard/read was a woman??...But anyway....

I just want to kinda give you a little tip if you decide to try again..

Think of every "zone" as a square.. the exits to the adjoining "zones" will
be along the edges, so if you follow a wall or an edge until you "zone"
once.. you have just found the key for the rest of the zone..

It is similar to walking into a maze.. If you keep your right hand on the
wall to your right and never take it off.. always walking with it touching..
you will get out (unless the exit goes up stairs or down a tunnel or
something in the middle of the maze)

Take Feydark for example... I started my High elf character and was walking
around in the city.. well, I was testing out a little bug that let you
"swim" up a wall.. (fixed now BTW) and I died falling from the top of a
really high spot above the little fishing pond..

Well, next thing I know, I am outside of the city..In Greater Feydark,
looking at the City gates and Guards..

Well, taking that as the "North" edge.. I walked up to the gates and turned
right, and followed the wall... After a few seconds I came to a corner..(ok
picture forming the gates are at the "North east cornerish") so I follow the
wall some more, and I see a valley in the wall so I follow that.. I zone
into Lesser Feydark.. (ok, cool.. make mental note and go back in..) when I
get back in, I go back to the left, following the way I have not been yet..
I find another corner.. ahhh now I get it.. Gates to the "North" lesser fey
to the "East" ok, lets see what is along this wall..a little bit longer, I
find the entrance to Crushbone, and Steamfont.. after finding those
entrances, I continue on until I come to the City gates again.. ok, now I
know where all the exit zones are, roughly how big the zone is.. which way I
might need to run to for safety, and all kinds of other things..Plus, there
weren't many creatures that were near the edges at that time so it was
relatively peaceful (this has changed also, the edges are just as dangerous
in some zones) after I found out where the exits were, I started venturing
into the middle of the zone a little bit at a time. Working my way out from
the Guards.. I found the Tree City, bandit camp and all the little orc
camps(which I think I still owe them a few beatings)

When I got to the Tree city, I did the same thing.. start at one area and
find the perimeter, work my way around until all the exits are known, and
then you know how to get out of the place.. then start looking at the inner
part..

I hope you give it another chance, I really think this game is really nice,
and It has gotten me totally addicted.

Alex Mars wrote in message <19990219121430...@ng17.aol.com>...

>I've been playing just a bit and so far I'm not impressed. The graphics
suck.
>The 3D images are crude, although there are some nice effects in scenery
and
>architecture. Everyone looks the same, although there are rumours that
>character appearance may be expanded in the actual release. All in all not
too
>different from Underlight. The multiple camera views are cool, especially
>given that I don't really care for first person games any more (I played
some
>DOOM and then lost interest in FPS games).

no, everyone looks the same, because you weren't able to get out and look in
other areas.. there are very large differences in character races, not to
mention armor.....cloth/none vs. leather vs. chain vs. plate vs. Some guild
robes vs, blackened iron even.. and that there are about 7 or so visible
places that if you place things on your character, you will be able to see
them..sleeves, hands, chest, head, face, legs, feet, that I can think of off
the top of my head..(may need chain to cover the face )

In the beginning, yes, most starting char. of the same race look pretty
similar.. But, as that warrior starts getting pieces of Leather armor, and a
sheild, he looks quite a bit different that the Magician next to him..

>I've only played about 3 or 4 hours and so far I haven't been able to find
my
>way out of a city so I can't comment on combat. I can comment that endless
>sightseeing is boring. My wood elf fell off a tree-bridge and died while
>wandering about and my dark elf is lost in the dark elf city. Anyone have
any
>city maps, let me know. I will escape the city and find some action if it
>kills me. Ummm....wait a minute....
>
>Game play is too "arcade" for me, jumping and clambering around on things.
All
>movement is by keyboard (think DOOM) and some people on the eq ng are
calling
>for joystick support. This game will favour the 13 year old video game
freak
>far more than UO and it may attract them as well.

What other types of movement do you like? I much rather play this way than
say Diablo..

>The only roleplayers I came across were the dark elves I encountered, who
also
>couldn't find their way out of the city. We banded together until I
drowned
>while trying to swim to my guild hall (don't ask) and lost them. The
>underwater graphics were o.k.

You didn't make it out far enough.. they are there..

Knuckles

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
On 19 Feb 1999 17:14:30 GMT, alex...@aol.com (Alex Mars) wrote:

>Game play is too "arcade" for me, jumping and clambering around on things. All
>movement is by keyboard (think DOOM) and some people on the eq ng are calling
>for joystick support. This game will favour the 13 year old video game freak
>far more than UO and it may attract them as well.

Actually the EQ controls are one of the things I like most about it.
Admittedly using the mouse and keyboard together might seem awkward at
first, once you master it you'll find that its the best way to
navigate in a 3D environment. Also I think that playing with a first
person view in a realistic 3D world makes it a lot easier to get
absorbed in the game.

Jerod K Weimer

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
This message was posted and emailed in response to the following
quoted article.

On 19 Feb 1999 17:14:30 GMT, alex...@aol.com (Alex Mars) wrote:

>I've been playing just a bit and so far I'm not impressed. The graphics suck.
>The 3D images are crude, although there are some nice effects in scenery and
>architecture. Everyone looks the same, although there are rumours that
>character appearance may be expanded in the actual release. All in all not too
>different from Underlight. The multiple camera views are cool, especially
>given that I don't really care for first person games any more (I played some
>DOOM and then lost interest in FPS games).

Man, what non-fps games have you been playing that have better
graphics than EQ? I'm in this business and I can tell you that EQ is
cutting edge as far as the modeling and world effects go. Although
they did leave off some in places to make the game more compatible
with a wider array of systems. And can you blame them? They are not a
philanthropic organization after all.

Also, are you using one of the decent 3D accelerators?

>I've only played about 3 or 4 hours and so far I haven't been able to find my
>way out of a city so I can't comment on combat. I can comment that endless
>sightseeing is boring. My wood elf fell off a tree-bridge and died while
>wandering about and my dark elf is lost in the dark elf city. Anyone have any
>city maps, let me know. I will escape the city and find some action if it
>kills me. Ummm....wait a minute....

I would be glad to show you around Neriak and Nektulos forest. It
takes maybe 5-10 minutes to get anywhere in Neriak.

You could also make the map yourself? I don't know what to say about
not getting out of Neriak in several hours of play. I can't imagine it
unless you just run around without actually trying to go somewhere
new.

>Game play is too "arcade" for me, jumping and clambering around on things. All
>movement is by keyboard (think DOOM) and some people on the eq ng are calling
>for joystick support. This game will favour the 13 year old video game freak
>far more than UO and it may attract them as well.

Keyboard and mouse have always been "the" way to handle a FPS. The
other views are good for perspective and such but it seems most are
using the first person views for most interaction. Mouselook is the
way to get around. I understand that you might not take to it if you
haven't been playing the FPS games out there. It does take a bit of
getting use to for most people.

As far as the 13 year old comment; You make this mistake because you
haven't started leveling yet. There is quite a bit of work that goes
into making a high level character. Most adults can't handle anything
but TV for longer than a few hours let alone 13 year olds.

>The only roleplayers I came across were the dark elves I encountered, who also
>couldn't find their way out of the city. We banded together until I drowned
>while trying to swim to my guild hall (don't ask) and lost them. The
>underwater graphics were o.k.
>

>One thing is obvious, the graphics and artwork are done by boys who don't get
>laid often, if ever. While male characters start in breeches and a vest or
>coat (except the barbarians who wear kilts) females seem to only start in high
>cut bikinis (except the barbarian lass who wears a kilt and a leather tube
>top). The blonde sorceress on the logo is prime cheesecake, breasts spilling
>out over her top. Don't get me wrong, I like unclad ladies as much or more
>than the next guy but I think some women will be offended. The targeted
>audience is obviously made up of horny males.

Actually the lead artist for the female models was a women. This is
another case of ignorance(don't get all defensive, this is a fact not
a slam). Fantasy art has long portrayed women in just these fashions.
All you have to do is think about it. Name one fantasy staple that has
not? Boris Vallejo is a prime example and he is considered one of the
fathers of fantasy artwork?

I would think that most diehard fantasy fans would have been a bit
disappointed if the characters were "politically correct" in their
attire(I know would have been and I'm not having any problems with
women).

I can't refute your assertion about the target audience though. But
after all, like I stated above, they are not a philanthropic
organization. Who are the people that buy these games? I would expect
that their product would be tailored to 18-twenty somethings that
spend their money on video games.

>All in all, I won't be switching over to EQ, so if you are and you have swag on
>LS or Sonoma, send it my way.

That's too bad but you are entitled to your opinion. Good luck and
safe ventures in the realms of Britannia.
Jerod K Weimer, MCP
http://bakersfield.kern.com/diableri/
diab...@kern.com
ICQ#739428
MCP ID 1136478

Ben Wilson

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
"I've only played about 3 or 4 hours and so far I" maybe the game is too
hard for you. I know it didn't take me 4 hours to find my way out of the
city. I don't think you can make a fair assessment of the game when you
actually haven't been involved in any of the real gameplay. Cities ARE
boring. "The graphics suck" huh?? What kind of cheap ass video card are
you using anyway? Get a TNT and crank it up to 1024x768, the game is
awesome. Eq is not a game you can just jump into and start kicking
ass...it's a roleplaying game. You have to learn how to play. Until you
learn how to get out of the city, form a group, and kill a gang of baddies
you don't know what your missing.

Ruldaas

Alex Mars wrote in message <19990219121430...@ng17.aol.com>...

>I've been playing just a bit and so far I'm not impressed. The graphics
suck.
>The 3D images are crude, although there are some nice effects in scenery
and
>architecture. Everyone looks the same, although there are rumours that
>character appearance may be expanded in the actual release. All in all not
too
>different from Underlight. The multiple camera views are cool, especially
>given that I don't really care for first person games any more (I played
some
>DOOM and then lost interest in FPS games).
>

>I've only played about 3 or 4 hours and so far I haven't been able to find
my
>way out of a city so I can't comment on combat. I can comment that endless
>sightseeing is boring. My wood elf fell off a tree-bridge and died while
>wandering about and my dark elf is lost in the dark elf city. Anyone have
any
>city maps, let me know. I will escape the city and find some action if it
>kills me. Ummm....wait a minute....
>

>Game play is too "arcade" for me, jumping and clambering around on things.
All
>movement is by keyboard (think DOOM) and some people on the eq ng are
calling
>for joystick support. This game will favour the 13 year old video game
freak
>far more than UO and it may attract them as well.
>

>The only roleplayers I came across were the dark elves I encountered, who
also
>couldn't find their way out of the city. We banded together until I
drowned
>while trying to swim to my guild hall (don't ask) and lost them. The
>underwater graphics were o.k.
>
>One thing is obvious, the graphics and artwork are done by boys who don't
get
>laid often, if ever. While male characters start in breeches and a vest or
>coat (except the barbarians who wear kilts) females seem to only start in
high
>cut bikinis (except the barbarian lass who wears a kilt and a leather tube
>top). The blonde sorceress on the logo is prime cheesecake, breasts
spilling
>out over her top. Don't get me wrong, I like unclad ladies as much or more
>than the next guy but I think some women will be offended. The targeted
>audience is obviously made up of horny males.
>

>All in all, I won't be switching over to EQ, so if you are and you have
swag on
>LS or Sonoma, send it my way.

Riprock

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Well, sorry to see you go. You sound like a decent person.
I'm just glad you're not a game reviewer. Basing your
like-dislike of a game on 3 to 4 hours of gameplay and only
seeing about 1/70th of the playing world, as well as not
experiencing some of the main cruxes of the game (fighting,
questing, RPing), is not IMHO the best way to base a
like-dislike decision. Again, that decision is yours but I
really think you're missing out.

I suggest creating a different character in a different
city. Perhaps a Barbarian warrior in Halas. At least that
way you won't be stuck in a city that you "can't" get out
of.

-Rip-

--
Love Unconditionally, Live Sacrificially.

http://www2.southwind.net/~riprock/prayer.html

Bishop[AGQ2]

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Yeah, Halas is a very easy city to get around in. If you cant find your way
out of Halas, you gotta be blind.

--
Bishop[AGQ]
"Its a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear"

Mark S

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Boy do you and I have very different impressions...

I have been playing for little over a week (probably 15 hours or so) and
I love this game. I think the 3-d graphics are stupendous for a role
playing game. No it's not Unreal, but Unreal was beautiful but boring
(to me at least). Character differentiation begins with getting some
better armor (i.e. leather and above) plus variable weapons and such.
Higher level char look very different from all the newbies which I think
is a nice way of rewarding those players (their char look much cooler).

As to gameplay, how can you say you don't like it when you've never even
been out of a city?!? You have never seen some of the great and varied
terrain, plus the scores of other cool sites (like fallen temples,
golden towers, dismal dungeons, harsh deserts, etc., etc..)
so I don't think you have truly seen a representative sample of the
games graphics. Also, you have never been in combat with even 1
monster? Considering that killing monsters is the primary way you
advance in this game I really don't think you have spent nearly enough
time to adequately judge this huge game.

As to it being "arcade", nothing could be further from the truth. This
came is not about clicking faster or jumping higher; it's about planning
and tactics, careful consideration and experimentation. That's one of
the reasons it works for me; a role playing game should not be about who
can "circle-strafe" monsters better.

If I read your post right, you play UO. What is it about UO that you
like so much better than EQ? How much time did it take you to really
get into UO? My own opinion is that 13 video game freaks will stick to
UO, where they can have GM tank-mages in no time and use their arcade
skills to help themselves do what most 13 year old boys like to do (be a
general nuisance to others). 13 year old joystick hotshots will find
little to like about EQ at all. It is designed to take a long time to
make significant progress and requires so actual brainpower to do well.
I predict most 13 year old wont have the patience necessary for EQ,
which is fine with me.

Seriously, you have barely scratched the surface of EQ at all. To say
you don't like it after only putting in 3-4 hours is premature at best.
A game of this size and complexity takes more than that just to learn
the ropes, and a lot more than that to get into the meat of it (i.e.
going on a dungeon quest). Most people that I have talked to in EQ
think that until you are at least level 5 you shouldn't leave the newbie
areas, but once you do leave, the game gets even better.

I hope you reconsider and give EQ a serious look. Yes, it does take
time but I think it is a sound investment. After playing for that week,
i have already pre-purchased the retail release of EQ. This beta is the
best $5 I have even spend on a computer game.

Mark S.

Angel

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
This game has better graphics than most games available. I say this game
has graphics as good as Unreal. I can see the eyes, nose, ears, mouth, on
my characters face, can you say the same about your UO character? You can
see the different bones on skeletons, I can count the stripes on the Kobold
runts. The graphics in UO suck big sweaty dicks, please do not try to say
UO has better graphics than EQ, that is an argument no one can win. I could
care less which game you play, but it is easier to play a game you know and
not advance to the next level. If you do not have enough skill to use a
mouse and keyboard at the same time I can see why you do not like FPS games.
I could care less what you say about game play, but saying the graphics
suck, You have not played enough 3d games.

--
Angelina, Erudite Magician.

Jason

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
You need to give it another try once you have really experienced the game.
I kinda felt the same way my first two or three days but realized after
switching several camera views and beginning to realize the size of the
game..it wasn't half bad. Pretty much the same thing happened to me in UO
when I first started. I actually went out and chopped wood for money for
like a month before I realized there were many better ways to make the $$$.
So on a final note, quit bitchin, get back in there and enjoy what is
currently the best online rpg.............and ya, where the hell are the
maps, I looked for the rogues guild in Kelethin for 3 hours with no sucess.
DOH!!!

Alex Mars <alex...@aol.com> wrote in message

James

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Yikes Alex!!

I think you need to spend a little bit more time with the game than just 3
or 4 hours, sheesh I remember in UO I had to spend like at least a week near
Vesper (all the while dying like 3 or 4 times from pkers) before I could
venture out to a dungeon, only to die more times by pkers waiting for me
there. As for EQ I started playing on Feb 11th, by the end of my first
session (roughly 2 hours) I had found my way out Quenyos and was half way to
2nd level. since then I've been playing on average 2-3 hours a night and my
warrior is nearly 8th level. I've been out to the Quenyos hills, the Gnoll
Burrows, Ranger town etc. I'm pretty damn sure that I've done more, gone
more places in EQ in one week, than I ever had in a month of playing UO.

As for graphics, well you need to get a better video card, I know good
graphics when I see it. I work in the computer game industry and EQ has some
pretty sharp graphics, a hell lot better than UO. Sorry to see you go Alex,
suggest you give it a try again, if you want I'll be more than happy to give
you a hand in EQ. Otherwise have fun dodging the pkers in UO.

Alex Mars wrote in message <19990219121430...@ng17.aol.com>...

>I've been playing just a bit and so far I'm not impressed. The graphics
suck.
>The 3D images are crude, although there are some nice effects in scenery
and
>architecture. Everyone looks the same, although there are rumours that
>character appearance may be expanded in the actual release. All in all not
too
>different from Underlight. The multiple camera views are cool, especially
>given that I don't really care for first person games any more (I played
some
>DOOM and then lost interest in FPS games).

http://www.newsfeeds.com/ The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
-----------== Over 66,000 Groups, Plus a Dedicated Binaries Server ==----------

D. Ducharme

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
>This
came is not about clicking faster or jumping higher; it's about planning
and tactics, careful consideration and experimentation. That's one of
the reasons it works for me; a role playing game should not be about who
can "circle-strafe" monsters better.<

Granted those are considerable parts of an rpg, but I always thought that it
was primarily, well...ROLE PLAYING. No offense, but i'm more into getting
into the characters role than i am in "planning and tactics."
If i want primarily that i'll play C&C instead, but i'd much rather be a
valorous paladin serving the light on a mission to defend a village or
something like that, to me, that's what role playing is about. leveling up
is just a necessary evil, that should only add to the game, not be the game.
by the way EQ rocks. I haven't been this involved in a game since my first
D&D set.

Alex Mars

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
A general reply to all:

I haven't given up on EQ. My initial impressions are just negative. I don't
care for first person view (I enjoy Fallout, U7, Halls of the Dead, UO, Diablo,
etc). As for the graphics quality, I guess I prefer sprites. I'm using
onboard AGP 3D graphics w/ 8 meg video ram, btw, on a P2 333.

As for getting lost in the cities, IMO we should have been given maps of the
cities as our characters are assumed to be natives of those cities. I hate
mapping.

I'm going to create a barbarian and just go out to test the combat system.

Mark S

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
D. Ducharme wrote:

> Granted those are considerable parts of an rpg, but I always thought
> that it
> was primarily, well...ROLE PLAYING. No offense, but i'm more into
> getting
> into the characters role than i am in "planning and tactics."
> If i want primarily that i'll play C&C instead, but i'd much rather be
> valorous paladin serving the light on a mission to defend a village or
>
> something like that, to me, that's what role playing is about.
> leveling up
> is just a necessary evil, that should only add to the game, not be the
> game.
> by the way EQ rocks. I haven't been this involved in a game since my
> first
> D&D set.

I agree with you to a point, but the thing is, ask anyone in this NG
for a definition of role-playing and you'll get lots of different
answers. I am not focusing on role-playing too much in the beta b/c I
am still testing new char and experimenting with new ideas to see what
role I want to play once it goes retail (right now I think I will have 3
primary chars).
Besides, if I am the paladin in you example, I better use some planning
and tactics to save the village lest I learn how to role-play a really
good death scene :o) 'cause this game is HARD (which is one of the
reasons I'm addicted too).

Mark S.
Wolfram of Rathe (among others..)

news.calweb.com

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Can we stop using age to identify the wanted and not wanted players? I'm 29
now but was a D&D player at 13 and would of loved to have had a game like
this then. I would guess that at least one of the players that you have
grouped with so far has been 13 or less.

jsco...@mindspring.com

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
The onboard AGP graphics explain it. Go out and buy a TNT or Voodoo2 card and
you'll get much more graphical enjoyment out of the game.

J Scott

In article <19990219141621...@ng19.aol.com>,

Wayne Sheppard

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99

Alex Mars wrote in message <19990219141621...@ng19.aol.com>...

>A general reply to all:
>
>I haven't given up on EQ. My initial impressions are just negative. I
don't
>care for first person view (I enjoy Fallout, U7, Halls of the Dead, UO,
Diablo,
>etc). As for the graphics quality, I guess I prefer sprites. I'm using
>onboard AGP 3D graphics w/ 8 meg video ram, btw, on a P2 333.

Your onboard 3D card will not perform as well as a TNT or Voodoo2.

>As for getting lost in the cities, IMO we should have been given maps of
the
>cities as our characters are assumed to be natives of those cities. I hate
>mapping.

EQ is supposed to have maps of each city in the FINAL. I agree that it is
very difficult to figure out the cities without a map. But this is a beta
and we had to make do without maps.

Wayne

Mike Wilson, UCE Account

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Wayne Sheppard <MrW...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> EQ is supposed to have maps of each city in the FINAL. I agree that it is
> very difficult to figure out the cities without a map. But this is a beta
> and we had to make do without maps.

I don't know what the problem is, hell... I didn't know the layout of any
cities and I figured it out... We all had to. Sounds like someone is lazy to
me :) It's not suppose to be easy otherwise everyone would do it... woops...
that's what they want :) Well, it is a beta, don't expect it to be
documented for ya :)

--
---
Mike Wilson, http://www.drwho.org http://www.pobox.com/~mwilson

Jerod K Weimer

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:32:10 -0500, Mark S
<ma...@benchmark-systems.com> wrote:

>D. Ducharme wrote:
>
>Besides, if I am the paladin in you example, I better use some planning
>and tactics to save the village lest I learn how to role-play a really
>good death scene :o) 'cause this game is HARD (which is one of the
>reasons I'm addicted too).
>
>Mark S.
>Wolfram of Rathe (among others..)

Here Here Mark. I wish all those people taunting the "Roleplaying" vs
leveling thing would read this part of your post and take it to heart.
What good are you going to do doing the same quests over and over
again because you can't take on anything more challenging?
"Touch me where I'm rusty, let me stain your hand"
Ani DeFranco, Imperfectly: songwriter, storyteller, freak

PLUR

Jerod K Weimer

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
On 19 Feb 1999 19:16:21 GMT, alex...@aol.com (Alex Mars) wrote:

>A general reply to all:
>
>I haven't given up on EQ. My initial impressions are just negative. I don't
>care for first person view (I enjoy Fallout, U7, Halls of the Dead, UO, Diablo,
>etc). As for the graphics quality, I guess I prefer sprites. I'm using
>onboard AGP 3D graphics w/ 8 meg video ram, btw, on a P2 333.

That is probably one of your graphics problems right there. Unless
it's a TNT or a Voodoo, you're not getting the whole experience. And
yes, I have tested every single one of the big cards out there.

>As for getting lost in the cities, IMO we should have been given maps of the
>cities as our characters are assumed to be natives of those cities. I hate
>mapping.

I personally wouldn't have used the maps if they provided them. I
spent 4 hours last night starting a 1/2 Elf Rogue in Freeport. I never
killed a single monster but I roleplayed a ton with a pair of Dwarven
warriors and a Barbarian(very high level I might add) and had a blast
trying to figure out what was up with the Rogue's guild and the secret
entrances and tunnels all around the city. It was awesome. I dare say
that those four hours have been more fun than all the time I took to
get to be a 5th level Dark Elf Wizard so far. I think I'll spend tons
of time just playing level one chars in all the different cities until
for some reason I decide to work on leveling that character. I can
tell you right now, it'll be a long time until I worry about leveling
that Rogue. It's simply not necessary to have fun with the character.
Thief in the city and such...

>I'm going to create a barbarian and just go out to test the combat system.

MCP ID 1136478

James

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Well Alex if you don't like First Person games, then EQ may not be for you
after all. As for maps, well this is beta so I was not suprised that we were
not provided any. In fact I would not be suprised if there were no maps when
the game is released. UO was released without any maps as well (other than
the cloth map) I ended up buying a clue book in order to get maps for the
towns and dungeons. I think the same will happen here in EQ.

Alex Mars wrote in message <19990219141621...@ng19.aol.com>...

>A general reply to all:
>
>I haven't given up on EQ. My initial impressions are just negative. I
don't
>care for first person view (I enjoy Fallout, U7, Halls of the Dead, UO,
Diablo,
>etc). As for the graphics quality, I guess I prefer sprites. I'm using
>onboard AGP 3D graphics w/ 8 meg video ram, btw, on a P2 333.

foamy

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
In article <36cd...@news.spamkiller.net>, "James" <jyoun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Well Alex if you don't like First Person games, then EQ may not be for you
>after all. As for maps, well this is beta so I was not suprised that we were
>not provided any. In fact I would not be suprised if there were no maps when
>the game is released. UO was released without any maps as well (other than
>the cloth map) I ended up buying a clue book in order to get maps for the
>towns and dungeons. I think the same will happen here in EQ.

UO had the overhead map, compass direction, sextant, and signs. I'm sure he
didn't mean maps detailing the name of every shop, but rather some way of
assisting you figure out where the Hell you are relative to something else.

Jim

Alex Mars

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
I'm not into mapping, and as I pointed out currently natives of a city are
strangers in their own home.

>From: uce_...@yahoo.com (Mike Wilson, UCE Account)
>Date: 2/19/99 1:30 PM Pacific Standard Time

>I don't know what the problem is, hell... I didn't know the layout of any
>cities and I figured it out... We all had to. Sounds like someone is lazy to
>me :) It's not suppose to be easy otherwise everyone would do it... woops...
>that's what they want :) Well, it is a beta, don't expect it to be
>documented for ya :)
>

>--
>---
>Mike Wilson, http://www.drwho.org http://www.pobox.com/~mwilson
>**Adaria or Celestian on Xegony**
>Resistance is futile. You will be intoxicated.

-You slip into your secret underwear, you get on over to the dark side of your
mind...

me

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99

Ok, in this whole thread I keep hearing about how the 13 year old freaks are
going to keep playing UO. Well thats nice and all, though you are starting
to make it sound like all 13 year old people only like to go play games such
as quake and unreal. I am 14, which is close enough for me and I much
prefer games such as this over games like quake. We can roleplay also, I
have been part of the cathedral of fire on the Napa shard for a long time on
UO and I garantee you that they and anyone with them are great role players.
So if your going to stereo-type the people that you dont want playing EQ try
not to use "13 year old freak"

Thanks for your time
Quespor Thews

Riprock

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
So are you Questor's brother? :)

Vera Langenbahn

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
to Alex Mars
Alex Mars wrote:

> I've been playing just a bit and so far I'm not impressed. The graphics suck.

Have a look at the game on a P2/400 with TNT grafX and we'll talk again :-)

> I've only played about 3 or 4 hours and so far I haven't been able to find my
> way out of a city so I can't comment on combat.

Not enough... play til you reach lev 4, you should be addicted to EQ by then.

> This game will favour the 13 year old video game freak
> far more than UO and it may attract them as well.

Au contraire. It'll scare the 13yr old video game freak away when he can't find his
way out of the city and start bashing in under 30 min *g*... EQ's too complexe for
them.

> Don't get me wrong, I like unclad ladies as much or more
> than the next guy but I think some women will be offended. The targeted
> audience is obviously made up of horny males.

Hm, you might have made a point here. I would not consider it only negative, but
appearance of the female characters in EQ is purely sexy... but then: I really like
the look of my cute wood elf babe... after all she attracted the handsome woodelf
guy whose player is my RL-love ;-))

may the trees protect you,
Ente

Oreh Ta Egral

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
Hi Alex! I remember back to my first 2 days in the UO beta, and how
frustrated I was. Damn that was a long time ago. It was similar for me in
EQ. The view and layout take a little getting use to, as do the controls.
Did you know there is a tutorial? If not give it a try. First run
testeverquest, which will run a patch. After the patch is installed, quit
that...then run tutorial. Wish I had found that my first day. Also if you
are in the Finnin Ro Server, and in Freeport, give me a shout! I'll drop
what I'm doing to show you around the town, and take you out hunting. It'd
be a pleasure to help you get started, so you could then have a chance to
enjoy the game enough. Email me if you want to get something set
up....don't forget to remove the Z.

--
Oreh Ta Egral
SBR & Proud

MKR Clef

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
>Have a look at the game on a P2/400 with TNT grafX and we'll talk again :-)

Hee hee, that sounds like my system. I can't wait to see how good this game
looks ^_^

Clef
"Smithers, I don't like the outdoors. For one thing there are too many fat
children running around..."

Estrucan

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:42:12 -0500, "Bishop[AGQ2]"
<snorc...@northlink.net> wrote:
>Yeah, Halas is a very easy city to get around in. If you cant find your way
>out of Halas, you gotta be blind.

To be fair, Kelethin is easy to gain access to, if you can manage to
discern how a lift works. It took me all of five minutes to exit.
(shrug)

Estrucan

Estrucan

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:36:54 -0800, "news.calweb.com"
<e...@NOSPAM.esse.com> wrote:

Fair enough. I've grouped with an admitted twelve year old who only
said "biatch" once. <grin> I'm willing to let that slip, but
admittedly, for the most part, pre-pubescents are victims of their
hormones and more likely to react with a swear-fest when in conflict
than someone who's 20-ish, eh? I'll freely admit some older crowds are
just as bad (nothing more sad than a 25 year old punk) but it's more
commonly seen in young'uns. After all, they are the ones being
constantly frustrated and abused in school and such (ah, sweet
memories... oh, wait, I blocked out my childhood) and prone to look
for a manner of expression.

Estrucan

>Can we stop using age to identify the wanted and not wanted players? I'm 29
>now but was a D&D player at 13 and would of loved to have had a game like
>this then. I would guess that at least one of the players that you have
>grouped with so far has been 13 or less.

Jake Zimmerman

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
Hmm.... I play with a PII504 with a TNT and a single Voodoo2 for those times when
games hate the TNT (like Unreal).....

I have tried both Voodoo2 AND TNT... both look beautiful...
(I like the TNT better, as it is slightly smoother)

I think your graphics dislike comes from the fact you are using a less-capable or
perhaps less-supported card.....
(EQ was designed to work on machines with Voodoo2 or equivalent-powered 3d
cards....)

8MB AGP integrated are probably either Intel i740 chipsets or they are ATI RAGE
chipsets.....
(neither of those two chipsets are Voodoo2-level in image quality or speed)

If its the i740, then quality will be pretty good,(compared to a Voodoo2) but not
really fast.....
(The i740 should work, but slow... since you have plenty of processor, slow
wouldn't necessarily be the case)

If its the ATI chipset, then your 3d quality will be miserable compared to V2 and
the card is slow to boot....
(With your complaints about image quality, I surmise that the chipset is ATI RAGE)

As I doubt your motherboard has an AGP slot in which to stuff a AGP card, I highly
suggest you snag yourself a Voodoo2 card...... they are not too expensive right
now (< $100), and image quality with that card is excellent (I tried both my TNT
and my V2)
you might even find a newly-converted TNT user who deosn't think they need that
Voodoo2 anymore and is willing to sell... :-)

I have never regretted my voodoo2 purchase... even now with my TNT doing most of
the work, I still keep my Voodoo2 ready and waiting for those games that just HATE
TNT and work so much better in Glide......
(Unreal, Redguard, etc.....)

You might also consider a PCI TNT...... TNT has the overall best image quality, but
might be less smooth in its PCI format than the made-for-PCI voodoo2 (TNT was
designed for AGP)

If you just happen to have a AGP slot, then TNT AGP is the way to go (check out the
one from Hercules, it rocks!)

You might want to take a look at EQ on someone who has a TNT or Voodoo2 before you
pass judgement on the graphics.....

However, the graphics may be a moot point since you don't like the gameplay....

Maybe I can change your mind about the "society" part of the game....

which server are you on my friend?

on the "Tarew Marr" server look for Qynduros of Tanare, he wanders often, but is
frequently in Kelethin taking care of his duties at the Druid's guild. If he is
not there, look for him in Greater or Lesser Feydark battling defiling orcs or the
mockeries of nature known as undead....

I'm sure Qynduros would be happy to show you around Kelethin, tell him "Jake" sent
you....
he is usually quite amiable for most races... he'll even put up with ogres and
trolls and maybe even a dark elf if they behave themselves....

there it is.... an open hand.... maybe I can help you

JakeZ

Alex Mars wrote:

> A general reply to all:
>
> I haven't given up on EQ. My initial impressions are just negative. I don't
> care for first person view (I enjoy Fallout, U7, Halls of the Dead, UO, Diablo,
> etc). As for the graphics quality, I guess I prefer sprites. I'm using
> onboard AGP 3D graphics w/ 8 meg video ram, btw, on a P2 333.
>

> As for getting lost in the cities, IMO we should have been given maps of the
> cities as our characters are assumed to be natives of those cities. I hate
> mapping.
>

> I'm going to create a barbarian and just go out to test the combat system.
>

> -You slip into your secret underwear, you get on over to the dark side of your
> mind...

Jake Zimmerman -- SkyPoint Duluth -- Technical Support Crew
"To err is to be human.... To really screw up you need a computer"
-Dilbert
Hockey, Music, Computer/Electrical Engineering...

Dedicated to those who patiently try, ja...@skypoint.com
to those who patiently fail, SkyPoint Duluth
and to those who get right back up office(218)720-5801
and try again. cell(218)349-4470

ZRider

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:43:03 -0700, "Angel" <<-an...@dcdi.net->>
wrote:

> I say this game has graphics as good as Unreal.

HAHAHAhahahaha...........

Oh, are you serious? LOL!

andrus

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
I concur. I'm glad I got to try this game for free.

I don't like the game. Maybe I got tired of this genre. I keep
reaching for a rail gun or a rocket launcher....

I don't wanna kill another zillion beatles to lvl. I don't wanna go
fucking back to hill giant and wait til dawn to get my corpse back.
I've done that in college for free mudding online with my UNIX shell
account.

Oh well, laterz dudes and dudettes.

AD

Kevin Drayson

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99

ZRider wrote in message <7an461$r23$0...@208.134.200.64>...

Okay... Angel was exaggerating, but not by much, especially if you have a
voodoo card, and are running glide. Bottom line is, the graphics are
fantastic.

Kevin

YouthZero

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
Peole like you the little bitches whould not even be playing this shit did
your moomy readthe 18 and up sticker when she bought you the game? your kind
bitches about gettingPKed and robbed tht is what started the downfall of UO
stay on UO i hope all the cock suckers and byiches stay the fuck off
everquest and leave it to us real gamers

MKR Clef

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
It's funny, a 14 year old was able to write a concise and well written post
while this dipshit "Youth Zero" couldn't even be coherent and felt the need to
use profanity as much as possible in his message. Honestly, I'd rather have a
bunch of 14 year olds like Quespor playing the game as opposed to retards like
you, Youth Zero. Go back to whatever hole you came from, troll.

Shane

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 12:03:12 -0600, "YouthZero"
<yout...@net1inc.net> wrote:

>Peole like you the little bitches whould not even be playing this shit did
>your moomy readthe 18 and up sticker when she bought you the game? your kind
>bitches about gettingPKed and robbed tht is what started the downfall of UO
>stay on UO i hope all the cock suckers and byiches stay the fuck off
>everquest and leave it to us real gamers

Doesn't seem to be much they can do anyways. The only thing I've
noticed that our underage friends seem to be doing is wearing female
skins or the demographic for male to female players is way off in
favor of females because I see more female characters then males where
I'm playing. Then again what else is there to do when you can't steal
other players loot, kills, loot dead bodies, and make creatures attack
other players. I imagine this game is a real hell for those losers.

Sophist

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
I've always maintained that age is a poor indicator of either
maturity or intellect. You certainly aren't doing anything to
disprove that notion.

As an aside, you might want to at least become semi-literate before
posting to a public forum.

Sophist

In article <7apisb$1lv$1...@remarQ.com>, yout...@net1inc.net says...

> Peole like you the little bitches whould not even be playing this shit did
> your moomy readthe 18 and up sticker when she bought you the game? your kind
> bitches about gettingPKed and robbed tht is what started the downfall of UO
> stay on UO i hope all the cock suckers and byiches stay the fuck off
> everquest and leave it to us real gamers

Kevin Drayson

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99

Shane wrote in message <36d07865...@news.quik.com>...

>Doesn't seem to be much they can do anyways. The only thing I've
>noticed that our underage friends seem to be doing is wearing female
>skins or the demographic for male to female players is way off in
>favor of females because I see more female characters then males where
>I'm playing. Then again what else is there to do when you can't steal
>other players loot, kills, loot dead bodies, and make creatures attack
>other players. I imagine this game is a real hell for those losers.

Um, in case you haven't noticed, most of the male faces look like folks you
wouldn't want to meet in a brightly-lit alley, never mind a dark one. I
mean, come on. I don't expect Baywatch-type faces all over, but they all
look like a bunch of hardened criminals or something (Human males, anyway).

Aside from that, there is no reason why a person can't play a character of
the opposite gender. To say that you have to conform to your own real-life
appearance means no PC elves, trolls, etc, and so on. However, if the choice
is made *only* for it's T&A value, then the player needs a life.

Kevin

Kevin Drayson

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99

Sophist wrote in message ...

>I've always maintained that age is a poor indicator of either
>maturity or intellect. You certainly aren't doing anything to
>disprove that notion.

I agree completely

>As an aside, you might want to at least become semi-literate before
>posting to a public forum.

Now, that isn't fair. They were able to type it, so they are semi-literate
at least...
;-) Offensive, crude and barbaric, but semi-literate.

>Sophist

Kevin

Jeff Hoppe

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
It is better to be thought of as a fool than opening your mouth and leaving
no doubt. - Mark Twain

Jeff

Sophist wrote in message ...
>I've always maintained that age is a poor indicator of either
>maturity or intellect. You certainly aren't doing anything to
>disprove that notion.
>

>As an aside, you might want to at least become semi-literate before
>posting to a public forum.

Estrucan

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:17:48 GMT, "Jeff Hoppe" <jho...@flash.net>
wrote:

It is pretty damn easy to cut and paste someone else's deep ponderings
than come up with your own. - Random Smartass

<grin> The quote does ring true though, I'll not deny.

Estrucan

Sophist

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
In article <7aqpi9$dog$1...@garnet.nbnet.nb.ca>, kevind@cyberdesign-
nb.com says...

> >As an aside, you might want to at least become semi-literate before
> >posting to a public forum.
> >

> Now, that isn't fair. They were able to type it, so they are semi-literate
> at least...
> ;-) Offensive, crude and barbaric, but semi-literate.
>
> >Sophist
> >

> Kevin

Hehe, OK, I stand corrected :).

Sophist

alka25...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2012, 3:44:46 PM12/9/12
QUESTION: how to respond to "buy me a drink" (curious? you should be)

ANSWER:
Have you ever been talking to a girl and she RANDOMLY
insults you? You know that feeling you get when you realize
that she is actually rejecting you RIGHT HERE and
RIGHT NOW? Your stomach jumps into your throat, doesn't it?

Or when you walk up to a chick and she puts you on the
spot by demanding you to do stuff for her?

"Buy me a drink..."
"Wait here while I go to the bathroom..."

I do. And I remember when I didn't know how to respond
in a way that would actually make her CHASE me instead
of reject me. It was like everything was riding on whether
or not she smiled when I said 'Hi' or if she made that
who-the-hell-are-you face when I said 'Hi'.

I want you to know what I learned to say that gave
me the power to turn any response from her into a smile.
It really made it all *click* for me.

http://thetaoofbadass.com/go.php?offer=lihkin&pid=2

She'll be awe-struck when you respond to her secret
'test' with the things I say which I've tested, and
are proven to work on woman after woman after woman...

You might have already heard about my friend Joshua Pellicer.
There's a reason why he's being chased around by every
major news media in the country. There's a reason why
Sirius XM radio offered him a show where he taught the
secrets of how to meet and attract women. There's a reason why
most of my professional dating coach friends go to HIM for
advice with women when they hit road-blocks...

He's this community's best-kept-secret. No doubt about it.

And he's opened up a great free video series teaching one
of my biggest "Ah-ha! moments" of all time. You'll know
how to see the 3 secret tests that women are giving you. And he'll
teach you the right things to say back to pass those tests.

http://thetaoofbadass.com/go.php?offer=lihkin&pid=2

If you want to get to a mastery level of interacting with
hot women, if you want to keep the attraction going once
you've got your foot in the door, then just trust me
- check out what Joshua's going to tell you about it:

http://thetaoofbadass.com/go.php?offer=lihkin&pid=2

Bottom line: don't miss this, because the opportunity to learn this
level of skill comes along VERY RARELY.