Which Epics Still worth the trouble?

Gorgoth

Aug 4, 2003, 11:28:39 PM8/4/03
Ok right off the bat I know how valuable the epics are just to put
into perspective many are not worth the pain of getting them.
Cleric- May be most useful epic
Bard- May add the most to a players usefulness
Beyond that no dice

Darktyger

Aug 4, 2003, 11:21:03 PM8/4/03

I tend to see Beastlords even as high as 65 still wielding their
offhand epic. Worn haste is nice...
--
Dark Tyger, keeper of the Nerf Railgun(tm)
Kahir Rhom, Vah'shir Primalist of the 54th calling - Tunare

"To live,
is so startling,
it leaves time for little else"
-Emily Dickinson

John M Clancy

Aug 4, 2003, 11:53:51 PM8/4/03

"Gorgoth" <Gor...@usa.com> wrote in message

> Ok right off the bat I know how valuable the epics are just to put
> into perspective many are not worth the pain of getting them.
> Cleric- May be most useful epic

Not only useful downright required for being in a raiding guild.
Whole guilds benefit from it. The reduction in downtime is huge.

> Bard- May add the most to a players usefulness

Yes a very useful Epic, it benefits many people not just the Bard.

> Beyond that no dice

Most epics have decent stats even if the effect sucks.
Remember Epics were Kunark era items.

Rogue Epic is nice for the haste. Very easy to get.

Beastlord Epic also has haste, very useful.

Monk epic is still very useful. Its easy to get compared to some Epics.

Mage Epic is useless, the 61 pet beats the epic Pet. Just Level.
This epic is waaay too dificult to get for the item.

Druid Epic is Decent.

Paladin and SK epics are a joke.

Necro Epic is sad.

Warrior Epic is decent for warriors in a small guild.

Shaman epic is out dated.

Enchanter epic is out dated.

Wizard Epic is nice but not essential.

Ranger epic is still good for people not in an uber guild.

Lance Berg

Aug 5, 2003, 1:03:21 AM8/5/03

John M Clancy wrote:

> Mage Epic is useless, the 61 pet beats the epic Pet. Just Level.
> This epic is waaay too dificult to get for the item.

But summon one, then die in a duel, repeat several more times, each time
leaving the orb on your body. Now you are a one man zerg machine, use orb
to get pet, loot a body, ready to use orb when first pet dies, repeat until
target is dead or you run out of bodies.

Very annoying, I imagine, but then most zerg tactics are.

Bergh

dstep

Aug 5, 2003, 2:19:51 AM8/5/03
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:28:39 -0500, Gorgoth <Gor...@usa.com> wrote:

Druid one is still great for me, for the DOT and stats.

If you are more uber you probably have a newer uber weapon, but still
might use it for the DOT cause its a free long lasting DOT.

dstephenatcoxdotnet
( using the @ and . for email )

David Navarro

Aug 5, 2003, 2:44:38 AM8/5/03

The Druid epic still has very nice stats, even if the effect is
hopelessly underpowered, and it's very little trouble to get these days.

--
Baron Hanrahan, Human Storm Warden, Fennin Ro

"Grow a spine? He wouldn't know a spine if
it crawled towards him waving its tentacles."

Devon Bleak

Aug 5, 2003, 2:58:56 AM8/5/03
"John M Clancy" <notan...@nospam.com> wrote in news:viuai2cve2v833
@news.supernews.com:

> "Gorgoth" <Gor...@usa.com> wrote in message
>> Ok right off the bat I know how valuable the epics are just to put
>> into perspective many are not worth the pain of getting them.
>> Cleric- May be most useful epic
>
> Not only useful downright required for being in a raiding guild.
> Whole guilds benefit from it. The reduction in downtime is huge.

No "may be" about it, hands down the most useful epic.

>> Bard- May add the most to a players usefulness
>
> Yes a very useful Epic, it benefits many people not just the Bard.

Only one other item in the game has the same effect as the Bard epic.

>> Beyond that no dice
>
> Most epics have decent stats even if the effect sucks.
> Remember Epics were Kunark era items.
>
> Rogue Epic is nice for the haste. Very easy to get.

Single best thing about the rogue epic is the +40 ATK that the effect
gives. Even with 40% haste elsewhere a lot of rogues will still wield
their epic (offhand if they have a better backstabber). Given that this
can be done in a couple days there's really no reason any guilded rogue
shouldn't have their epic a few days after dinging 51. I laugh when I
see rogues in our LFG channel putting "epic" in their message.

> Beastlord Epic also has haste, very useful.

As I understand it the effect is similar to the rogue and ranger
(offhand) epics. This one is a bit more of a pain to get with having to
scout for all the scouts.

> Monk epic is still very useful. Its easy to get compared to some Epics.

Girlfriend's monk hasn't done the raster or targin camps yet, but those
seem to really be the only big roadblocks here. The effect on it is very
nice.

> Mage Epic is useless, the 61 pet beats the epic Pet. Just Level.
> This epic is waaay too dificult to get for the item.

I'll have to explain this to the 64 mage in my guild who still wants to
raid Sky for her epic.

> Druid Epic is Decent.

Passively pursuing this one on my alt at the moment, seems fairly easy.
And a mana-free DoT is always welcome :)

> Paladin and SK epics are a joke.

SK in my guild says that the proc on his is like having a 25/tick regen
on him. I don't think I've actually seen an SK with their epic yet
though.

> Necro Epic is sad.
>
> Warrior Epic is decent for warriors in a small guild.
>
> Shaman epic is out dated.
>
> Enchanter epic is out dated.

Enchanter epic is useful if you can get it early enough. But past
whatever level they get SoV at, only monks will ask for it (maybe
clerics, can't remember if this one stacks with their self buffs).

> Wizard Epic is nice but not essential.

I wouldn't mind a mana-free componentless rune ;) Especially with the
ammount of aggro these guys can generate if they're not careful.
Somewhat of a pain to get though.

> Ranger epic is still good for people not in an uber guild.

Hardest part about getting swiftwind is the Jade Reaver. Otherwise that
half is insanely easy. Earthcaller is all about the wait and pushing
your guild to raid in Hate as much as possible. As for utility, the
haste + atk on swiftwind is very nice considering how easy it is to
obtain. And the slow proc on Earthcaller would be very nice for soloing.

--
Meerina Spawndancer
64 Huntress of Tunare

-martin

Aug 5, 2003, 3:00:08 AM8/5/03
"John M Clancy" <notan...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Mage Epic is useless, the 61 pet beats the epic Pet. Just Level.
> This epic is waaay too dificult to get for the item.

It beats it for tankability and regen yes, it doesn't always beat it for DPS
though

-m

Tim Smith

Aug 5, 2003, 3:34:03 AM8/5/03
In article <Xns93CE1E398C9EBde...@204.127.199.17>, Devon

Bleak wrote:
>> Wizard Epic is nice but not essential.
>
> I wouldn't mind a mana-free componentless rune ;) Especially with the
> ammount of aggro these guys can generate if they're not careful. Somewhat
> of a pain to get though.

The effect, besides being a 796 point rune, also adds 3 mana per tick. Like
the poster above you said, not essential...but damned nice. I'd sure like
one, but there's little chance of getting it.

None of the fights for it are beyond my guild, but it's very unlikely that I
could get enough of them together to do things like kill Phinny over and
over and over and over, hoping for the staff, or raid Fear over and over and
over, trying to catch the broken Golem up.

The Wizard epic is very annoying in that while none of it is hard, all the
parts that you need help for will tend to waste a lot of time of the people
who help you.

--
Evidence Eliminator is worthless: www.evidence-eliminator-sucks.com
--Tim Smith

-martin

Aug 5, 2003, 6:44:04 AM8/5/03
"Devon Bleak" <de...@NbrOicSkhPutA.cMom> wrote in message

> Single best thing about the rogue epic is the +40 ATK that the effect
> gives. Even with 40% haste elsewhere a lot of rogues will still wield
> their epic (offhand if they have a better backstabber). Given that this
> can be done in a couple days there's really no reason any guilded rogue
> shouldn't have their epic a few days after dinging 51. I laugh when I
> see rogues in our LFG channel putting "epic" in their message.

My rogue is epicless !

> Enchanter epic is useful if you can get it early enough. But past
> whatever level they get SoV at, only monks will ask for it (maybe
> clerics, can't remember if this one stacks with their self buffs).

No way. Give me SoV and ranger buffs anyday

> I wouldn't mind a mana-free componentless rune ;) Especially with the
> ammount of aggro these guys can generate if they're not careful.
> Somewhat of a pain to get though.

Forceshield, a PoP spell

-m

Graeme Faelban

Aug 5, 2003, 8:56:37 AM8/5/03
"John M Clancy" <notan...@nospam.com> wrote in news:viuai2cve2v833
@news.supernews.com:

> "Gorgoth" <Gor...@usa.com> wrote in message
>> Ok right off the bat I know how valuable the epics are just to put
>> into perspective many are not worth the pain of getting them.
>> Cleric- May be most useful epic
>
> Not only useful downright required for being in a raiding guild.
> Whole guilds benefit from it. The reduction in downtime is huge.

No question, every cleric should get one.

>> Bard- May add the most to a players usefulness
>
> Yes a very useful Epic, it benefits many people not just the Bard.

I don't know any bards that regret getting it.

>> Beyond that no dice
>
> Most epics have decent stats even if the effect sucks.
> Remember Epics were Kunark era items.
>
> Rogue Epic is nice for the haste. Very easy to get.
>
> Beastlord Epic also has haste, very useful.
>
> Monk epic is still very useful. Its easy to get compared to some Epics.
>
> Mage Epic is useless, the 61 pet beats the epic Pet. Just Level.
> This epic is waaay too dificult to get for the item.
>
> Druid Epic is Decent.
>
> Paladin and SK epics are a joke.
>
> Necro Epic is sad.
>
> Warrior Epic is decent for warriors in a small guild.
>
> Shaman epic is out dated.

One mans outdated is another mans very nice and handy weapon. It has
better stats than anything else I can get my hands on, and while soloing,
I use the epic DoT all the time, saves quite a bit of mana.

> Enchanter epic is out dated.
>
> Wizard Epic is nice but not essential.
>
> Ranger epic is still good for people not in an uber guild.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Venerable Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 65 seasons

Devon Bleak

Aug 5, 2003, 9:26:07 AM8/5/03
"-martin" <nos...@cheerful.com> wrote in news:bgo1bt$qkcal$1@ID-
199534.news.uni-berlin.de:

> My rogue is epicless !

n00b! What's he wielding these days anyway?

>> Enchanter epic is useful if you can get it early enough. But past
>> whatever level they get SoV at, only monks will ask for it (maybe
>> clerics, can't remember if this one stacks with their self buffs).
>
> No way. Give me SoV and ranger buffs anyday

Interesting. I found that when I had a 65 chanter two-boxed along with my
ranger that all the monks would ask for SoS so they could do their epic
thing.

>> I wouldn't mind a mana-free componentless rune ;) Especially with the
>> ammount of aggro these guys can generate if they're not careful.
>> Somewhat of a pain to get though.
>
> Forceshield, a PoP spell

Costs 360 mana, doesn't give as much mana regen, doesn't absorb as much
damage, and you don't get it til 63 (which means it requires a spec
handin), a level which is quite a bit later than most wizards acquire their
epic. The only upside here is that it takes 5 seconds to cast instead of
15. Other than the mana cost it's nearly as good as the epic effect in
most respects. I did actually take this spell into account when I wrote
that ;)

Archerbear

Aug 5, 2003, 9:41:59 AM8/5/03

"Devon Bleak" <de...@NbrOicSkhPutA.cMom> wrote in message

I use the Staff of Four between fights, Forceshield during if an AOE knocks
off the epic effect. Recast time on wizard epic is too long; if a wizard's
forte is supposed to be fast damage, losing that much time means I'm not
doing my job. Also, SotF's effect has HUGE aggro all out of proportion to
the effect; I like to click it during fights to tease my favorite SK tank
about not generating enough hate - if it goes off in the first quarter of
the mob's health, I'll pull it off him. /chuckle Ticks him off no end.

Enchanter epic is a fantastic peice of resist gear, like all epics; I intend
to finish my chanter's, but doubt I'll use it for anything but newb buffing.

I'm five drops away from my bard's epic, rather looking forward to it.
That's one that will get used.

Rhian

Sean

Aug 5, 2003, 9:54:28 AM8/5/03
Darktyger <dark...@overthere.nothere> wrote in

> On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:28:39 -0500, Gorgoth <Gor...@usa.com> wrote:
>
>>Ok right off the bat I know how valuable the epics are just to put
>>into perspective many are not worth the pain of getting them.
>>Cleric- May be most useful epic
>>Bard- May add the most to a players usefulness
>>Beyond that no dice
>
> I tend to see Beastlords even as high as 65 still wielding their
> offhand epic. Worn haste is nice...

Same thing for many rangers/rogues. If you don't belong
to a guild that can get you a 40% haste item, you'll still
be wielding Swiftwind or Ragebringer at 65.

--
Mairelon Snapbang, Arch Convoker of Lanys T'vyl

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=701866

Sean

Aug 5, 2003, 10:02:25 AM8/5/03
Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote in

for 2 or more mages with improved reclaim and (optionally) quick
summoning and elemental pact, it's not useful for even that.

When one pet is nearly dead, reclaim him for 95% of the base mana
used to summon him (about 380 mana for 61 air) and recast him for
as low as 300 mana avg (SCM3, Spec Conj, Mana PresIV) and send him
in. The advantage this has over regular pet chaining is there is
always a pet on the mob, allowing you to reclaim and recover the
your mana.

With QS3 the summon takes 6 seconds.

12 mage took down Velketor this way on Bertox (IIRC)

Sean

Aug 5, 2003, 10:17:19 AM8/5/03
Devon Bleak <de...@NbrOicSkhPutA.cMom> wrote in

I'd love to see her reasoning on this. It's not worth even the
2 day raid in sky, much less all the other massive time sinks in
the quest.

Epic - level 49, 4300 hp, 50pt innate DS, max hit 83. 70ish
DPS from melee, and a huge chunk (estimated at 20dps) from
spells. Not immune to fear, can't land any procs on mobs that
are 60+.

Servant of Marr - Level 60, 3300hp, 90ish DPS from melee alone
+cold nuke, +sword procs. Immune to fear, enrages <10% health,
procs land on most everything.

Ward of Xegony - Level 60, 3800hp, 70ish DPS from melee alone
+stun, +sword procs. Immune to fear, enrages <10% health, procs
land on most everything. 45pt DS from Flameshield of Ro.

on anything above low 50's the air pet better, the water pet dishes
out more damage.

> Hardest part about getting swiftwind is the Jade Reaver. Otherwise
> that half is insanely easy. Earthcaller is all about the wait and
> pushing your guild to raid in Hate as much as possible. As for
> utility, the haste + atk on swiftwind is very nice considering how
> easy it is to obtain. And the slow proc on Earthcaller would be very
> nice for soloing.

All my old-guild's rangers had Swiftwind by 55 or 56, earthcaller was
another matter.

Sean

Aug 5, 2003, 10:24:35 AM8/5/03
"-martin" <nos...@cheerful.com> wrote in

62 water demolishes epic for DPS on anything worth fighting
for a 61+ mage. The reason is that a large portion of the
epic's DPS is from procs, which it can't land on mobs that
are 60+.

Jekke, Just Jekke

Aug 5, 2003, 10:48:12 AM8/5/03
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:28:39 -0500, Gorgoth <Gor...@usa.com> wrote:

My rogue wielded her epic until it was finally replaced with high-end
Velious gear, which was not overall better, but did up her DPS, which
was always her raison d'etre.

--Jekke
=====================
Playing on Torvonilous
Venerable Sheava Ebonrezzor (Dark Elf Cleric, 65)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=392441
Veteran Moulin Khmer (Dark Elf Rogue, 65)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=87681
Qiin Dred (Iksar Necromancer, 55)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=717977

Pail Ryder

Aug 5, 2003, 11:08:41 AM8/5/03

"John M Clancy" <notan...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Gorgoth" <Gor...@usa.com> wrote in message
> > Ok right off the bat I know how valuable the epics are just to put
> > into perspective many are not worth the pain of getting them.
> > Cleric- May be most useful epic
>
> Not only useful downright required for being in a raiding guild.
> Whole guilds benefit from it. The reduction in downtime is huge.
>
> > Bard- May add the most to a players usefulness
>
> Yes a very useful Epic, it benefits many people not just the Bard.
>
> > Beyond that no dice
>
> Most epics have decent stats even if the effect sucks.
> Remember Epics were Kunark era items.
>
> Rogue Epic is nice for the haste. Very easy to get.
>
> Beastlord Epic also has haste, very useful.
>
> Monk epic is still very useful. Its easy to get compared to some Epics.
>
> Mage Epic is useless, the 61 pet beats the epic Pet. Just Level.
> This epic is waaay too dificult to get for the item.

How many mages do you play with? The epic pet not only outdamages the
61,62,63 pets but it also has more HP....a LOT more (4500 if i remember
correctly). For those mages that are leveling before getting AA (which
would be most IMO) then the epic pet crushes those other pets hands down.

> Druid Epic is Decent.
>
> Paladin and SK epics are a joke.
>
> Necro Epic is sad.
>
> Warrior Epic is decent for warriors in a small guild.
>
> Shaman epic is out dated.

But it still stacks with their other dots and most will get it because it is
so easy and has great stats.

> Enchanter epic is out dated.
>
> Wizard Epic is nice but not essential.
>
> Ranger epic is still good for people not in an uber guild.

-Iolen

Sean

Aug 5, 2003, 11:33:58 AM8/5/03
"Pail Ryder" <ma...@mail.com> wrote in

So full of mis-information I don't know where to start...........

Epic has 4300hp, does 70DPS melee, 20DPS from procs - procs that
don't land on 60+ mobs (the standard for PoP tier2+ xp groups).

61 air has 3800hp, does 70DPS melee, a few more from stuns and
sword procs - since it's level 60 they land on 60+ mobs regularly.
Un-fearable, enrages, better mitigation/avoidance than epic.
With Flameshield of Ro, only 5pts of ds seperate if from epic.

62 water has 3300hp, does 90DPS melee, a few more from ice nukes
and sword procs - since it's level 60 they land on 60+ mobs.

63 pet is a useless pile of steaming offal, but it's that poorly
conceived wizard pet concept.

Even mages focusing on AA are going to be grouping in Tier2+ pop,
to do otherwise is just plain stupid. Taking on mobs within 5
levels of you grants a huge bonus to xp (nearly twice as much for
mobs at the bottom end, scaling upward as they get higher level)

The only place epic is better is soloing low 50's mobs. These
mobs have no high con bonus, and soloing gets no grouping bonus,
and you probably aren't in PoP with its (still) higher ZEMs.

Whip out 62 water, get in a group in Tier2+ PoP and yank in an
AA every 1.5hours like I did yesterday.

Graeme Faelban

Aug 5, 2003, 12:01:50 PM8/5/03
"Pail Ryder" <ma...@mail.com> wrote in

> "John M Clancy" <notan...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Shaman epic is out dated.
>
> But it still stacks with their other dots and most will get it because
> it is so easy and has great stats.

Yep, love my epic, the stats are great, the DoT gets a lot of use, mostly
while soloing. I have yet to see a better weapon drop from any mobs that
my guild fights. (Given that my melee is basically a joke, better does not
mean better damage/delay).

Dan Harmon

Aug 5, 2003, 12:49:15 PM8/5/03

"Gorgoth" <Gor...@usa.com> wrote in message

My enchanter is 63. He still uses his epic as a free AC affect for casters
if we suspect they'll get hit. And it's one of the few haste buffs that
work for battle clerics.

Druid...crappy dot but long-lasting. And it's free. Very useful for
soloing or long fights.

If you're in a planar guild, good for you (but I honestly don't give a
shit), but many epics are still good for the N000bs that aren't uber like
you.

John M Clancy

Aug 5, 2003, 1:52:21 PM8/5/03

"Newshound007" <Newsho...@freedom.net> wrote in message
> John M Clancy wrote in alt.games.everquest in news:viuai2cve2v833
> @news.supernews.com on at Tue, 05 Aug 2003 03:53:51 GMT:
>
> > Necro Epic is sad.
>
> Isn't the Necro epic the only epic with a spell that *can't* be used on
> raids? The snare effect makes it a worthless around level 60?

Yes and it gets resisted like mad.

James Grahame

Aug 5, 2003, 2:15:44 PM8/5/03

"John M Clancy" <notan...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Shaman epic is out dated.

Free damage for soloing, and the stats are very good. Considering how
easy this epic is, I can't see why a shaman would skip it.

> Enchanter epic is out dated.

Again, what would you have the enchanter get that has equivalent or
better stats? Droppables are getting closer in quality, but aren't quite
there yet. I'd say this is just at the edge of effort versus reward being
positive.

> Wizard Epic is nice but not essential.

Wizards would beg to differ. WIZ epic is huge. Free rune with mana regen
for a high-aggro class? Invaluable, especially at those levels where the
tanks haven't caught up in weaponry to a wizard's spells.

> Ranger epic is still good for people not in an uber guild.

And those in one, too. The effect also has some ATK with it, which helps
whether you use archery or not and which can give a better DPS boost than
just an improved offhand ratio.

James

Gorgoth

Aug 5, 2003, 5:37:07 PM8/5/03
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:49:15 -0400, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

My thats almost hateful there.
Its not my fault that wepons and items ALMOST as good as epics can be
bought in the bazaar not to mention the no-drop items. My point was
that given the reward they are too much a PITA to pursue. As for the
NOOBS out there do you realize the SK epic costs money? 1900p plus a
set of fairly decent armor just to raise a stupid faction for a crappy
reward. Epics in serious need of overhaul.

Again outside of clerics and bards I dont see much worth the time of a
few dozen guildies to get these things. For one thing they need to be
soloable quests not freakin raids. Epics should be based on your own
efforts and skill not the size of your guild then they might mean
something again.

Lance Berg

Aug 5, 2003, 8:50:19 PM8/5/03

Gorgoth wrote:

The shaman epic can be done solo 95% of the way, and the final mob takes only a
mage and a cleric; the only "raid" part of the whole quest is the fear part...
and even then, I think a single group can do that part now. But ignoring the
high powered ubers who can pull that off, still everything except the fear part
is trivially easy to do; my shaman has soloed his way up to the Fear drop and is
currently only 51.

John Henders

Aug 6, 2003, 12:14:06 AM8/6/03
In <Xns93CE1E398C9EBde...@204.127.199.17> Devon Bleak <de...@NbrOicSkhPutA.cMom> writes:

>> Wizard Epic is nice but not essential.

>I wouldn't mind a mana-free componentless rune ;) Especially with the
>ammount of aggro these guys can generate if they're not careful.
>Somewhat of a pain to get though.

Wizards mostly want the epic to use with a mana robe or mana stone. It's
a very fast way of regaining mana.

--
Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v

Graeme Faelban

Aug 6, 2003, 9:03:13 AM8/6/03
Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote in

And it is a nontrivial task for a nonuber guild to get a better than epic
weapon for a shaman. I sure as heck can't afford the price of such a
weapon if there is such a thing in the bazaar, I can't even afford my
spells.

Dan Harmon

Aug 6, 2003, 9:39:59 AM8/6/03

> My thats almost hateful there.
> Its not my fault that wepons and items ALMOST as good as epics can be
> bought in the bazaar not to mention the no-drop items. My point was

Uh huh...for how much money? If you're in a elemental planes guild your
opinion means little when it comes to epic worth for the 99% of us who are
not in such a guild.

Gorgoth

Aug 6, 2003, 11:48:44 AM8/6/03
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:39:59 -0400, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

Whats this class warfare crap?
I have played the game for going on 3 years and amassed and spent a
good deal of plat. I look at the "new" PoP and LoY weapons as very
close to Epic quality for less than 25k heck most under 15k. That is
an amount one could swing only a few months into the game if they were
smarter than a rock. And the great thing is it can be resold when you
get something better not retired to the bank for CR duty. Face it SoE
blew it on epics and never had the guts to admit it and fix them.

Graeme Faelban

Aug 6, 2003, 11:52:20 AM8/6/03
Gorgoth <Gor...@usa.com> wrote in

Yeah, but if I ever get 25k, I'll keep on saving and buy a spell that
will be far more useful to me. Mind you that's just for one single
spell. Then, when I amass that much again, guess what, I'll keep on
saving, and buy, yes, one more spell. Rinse and repeat, I have several
hundred k worth of spells to go yet.

My epic on the other hand was free. Fear,well, others in the guild
wanted various drops there, so, it's not like a Fear raid was organized
just for me. The Hole, again, several others wanted drops there, so we
killed several birds with one stone. City of Mists, again, Ranger,
Druids, and Magicians all were looking for drops there as well, off of
some of the same mobs needing to be killed for my drops. Mistmoor, I did
have to organize a group to go in and kill the dire wolf, the rest I
soloed. For that effort I got a weapon that I have yet to see an
achievable replacement for.

For a significant portion of the EQ players, epics are still one of the
best weapons they will get their hands on.

There certainly are better out there for many of the classes, but, many
of those better weapons are nodrop, and not achievable by a majority of
the EQ population. For the others, well, 15 to 25k is a lot to drop on
one single weapon. Particularly for those of us that are cursed with
extremely exorbitantly priced spells. I don't have any other way to get
my level 65 spells yet, other than purchasing them. My missing level 60
spells are quite rare drops, and it's hard to get interest going for
hitting the places they drop. Right at the moment, with current pricing
on EMarr, I have about 400k worth of spells to buy, just counting the
level 60 and level 65 spells.

sparkup

Aug 6, 2003, 11:47:52 AM8/6/03

IIRC Absor has posted a couple of times on the subject of Epics, and has
stated that the epics were out of date, but he also said that they would
not be updated.

Sean

Aug 6, 2003, 12:43:57 PM8/6/03
sparkup <junkse...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Also, calling them epic weapons is a mis-nomer. They are class
particle effect weapons obtained by an epic quest. The distinction
is important: Calling them "epic weapons" suggests they are the
best available, ever. This wasn't the intent. I wish all the whiny
mages at the Tower would get over the fact that they now have to
actually choose the best pet for the circumstances, (from 2, but
they are working on the fire pet) rather than simply hauling out the
epic for all occasions.

Gorgoth

Aug 6, 2003, 3:01:56 PM8/6/03

Bah Absor lies so much one wonders if hes a politician. Never listen
to anything that man says, just ask the monks and druids hell anyone
thats been around a while.

-martin

Aug 6, 2003, 4:49:42 PM8/6/03
"Devon Bleak" <de...@NbrOicSkhPutA.cMom> wrote in message

> "-martin" <nos...@cheerful.com> wrote in news:bgo1bt$qkcal$1@ID-
> 199534.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
> > My rogue is epicless !
>
> n00b! What's he wielding these days anyway?

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=569520

He's been all alone on prexus for a month or 2 now though, untouched and
unloved :(

> Interesting. I found that when I had a 65 chanter two-boxed along with my
> ranger that all the monks would ask for SoS so they could do their epic
> thing.

I will take SoV, SoP and SoT anyday :)

> > Forceshield, a PoP spell
>
> Costs 360 mana, doesn't give as much mana regen, doesn't absorb as much
> damage, and you don't get it til 63 (which means it requires a spec
> handin), a level which is quite a bit later than most wizards acquire
their
> epic. The only upside here is that it takes 5 seconds to cast instead of
> 15. Other than the mana cost it's nearly as good as the epic effect in
> most respects. I did actually take this spell into account when I wrote
> that ;)

The cast time is everything though - for reasons somebody already answered

-md

-martin

Aug 6, 2003, 4:56:13 PM8/6/03
"James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> > Shaman epic is out dated.
>
> Free damage for soloing, and the stats are very good. Considering how
> easy this epic is, I can't see why a shaman would skip it.

Cuz some shamans are lazy.

Like me :)

-m

Dan Harmon

Aug 6, 2003, 5:13:37 PM8/6/03

"Gorgoth" <Gor...@usa.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:39:59 -0400, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Gorgoth" <Gor...@usa.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> My thats almost hateful there.
> >> Its not my fault that wepons and items ALMOST as good as epics can be
> >> bought in the bazaar not to mention the no-drop items. My point was
> >
> >Uh huh...for how much money? If you're in a elemental planes guild your
> >opinion means little when it comes to epic worth for the 99% of us who
are
> >not in such a guild.
> >

> Whats this class warfare crap?

Not at all, I don't consider you any better than me. I know plenty of
idiots in elemental planar guilds.

What I'm saying is, your opinion (the 1% in elemental planes) isn't worth
much when it comes to this topic.

What weapons are nearly as good as epic weapons that cost only 15kp (a hell
of a lot of money for 95% of the players)? I may shell out the cash on my
enchanter if you can name one.

Dan Harmon

Aug 6, 2003, 5:14:20 PM8/6/03

"Graeme Faelban" <Richar...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Yeah, but if I ever get 25k, I'll keep on saving and buy a spell that
> will be far more useful to me. Mind you that's just for one single
> spell. Then, when I amass that much again, guess what, I'll keep on
> saving, and buy, yes, one more spell. Rinse and repeat, I have several
> hundred k worth of spells to go yet.

Because, of course, those who think epics are crap are also those selling
spells for far more than they should...because they can.

Dan Harmon

Aug 6, 2003, 5:25:24 PM8/6/03

"sparkup" <junkse...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> IIRC Absor has posted a couple of times on the subject of Epics, and has
> stated that the epics were out of date, but he also said that they would
> not be updated.

Which may or may not be true. The Monty Haul message posted about LDON
makes it sound like you can make your epic uber.

Can't wait til I can upgrade to enhanced rawhide on my druid having
(buffless) 255 STR (rawhide is heavy :p ) & 255 WIS.

Clydefrog

Aug 6, 2003, 5:29:38 PM8/6/03
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:47:52 +0100, sparkup
<junkse...@hotmail.com> wrote:

That's odd. Wasn't it Absor who was screaming his lungs out repeatedly
that Ragefire would not be changed, would not be changed, would NOT BE
CHAAAAAAAAAAANGED?

Then it was announced at the Fanfaire that Ragefire was going to be
changed, correct?

Absor knows nothing. He is not kept in the loop, as much as he would
like you to think.

James Grahame

Aug 6, 2003, 7:55:37 PM8/6/03

"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

I think that if the mods were uncontrollable (that is, you couldn't
always pick what type of mod you got) that I'd pick up a Serp Bracer in the
Bazaar and turn it into the ultimate prom queen item. "My Serp Bracer has 35
STR, 45 AGI, and 40 DEX! How can you melees pass on this!!"

James

James Grahame

Aug 6, 2003, 8:07:02 PM8/6/03

> What weapons are nearly as good as epic weapons that cost only 15kp (a
hell
> of a lot of money for 95% of the players)? I may shell out the cash on my
> enchanter if you can name one.

If I had to name a near-epic item for an enchanter I'd say the
Cartographer's Quill. 10/18 piercer, PRI slot, STA: +9 INT: +12 HP: +35
MANA: +35
SV FIRE: +5 SV DISEASE: +5 SV COLD: +5 SV MAGIC: +5 SV POISON: +5. Half the
resists, two-thirds the HP/MANA, and half the stats, for 15 K or less. Like
I said in my other post, I still think the enchanter epic is well worth
doing, but when you can just skip all that hassle and get one of these
instead it's tempting.

And if those poor players want cash, tell them to buy a Mortar and
Pestle and start making Celestial Essences for sale in The Bazaar. I have
yet to see any of the vendors that sell it at 4 pp each (costs less than 2
pp each to make, never fails) have their stock of 200 last overnight, and
the 5 pp sellers almost always sell out overnight. I saw one 5 pp guy sell
500 of 600 he put up for sale, all in one night. Between Celestial Essences
and Spider Silks/Silk Swatches, a young player can make a boatload of cash
with little to no risk and no fear of failure.

James

Lance Berg

Aug 6, 2003, 9:22:36 PM8/6/03

Graeme Faelban wrote:

Plus for the wolf part, a damn nice inventory slot clicky. Insta cast self
only SOW? Yowza!

> For a significant portion of the EQ players, epics are still one of the
> best weapons they will get their hands on.
>
> There certainly are better out there for many of the classes, but, many
> of those better weapons are nodrop, and not achievable by a majority of
> the EQ population. For the others, well, 15 to 25k is a lot to drop on
> one single weapon. Particularly for those of us that are cursed with
> extremely exorbitantly priced spells. I don't have any other way to get
> my level 65 spells yet, other than purchasing them. My missing level 60
> spells are quite rare drops, and it's hard to get interest going for
> hitting the places they drop. Right at the moment, with current pricing
> on EMarr, I have about 400k worth of spells to buy, just counting the
> level 60 and level 65 spells.

Or item for any slot, for many of us weapons are after all no different than
boots or belts or hats or earrings. Its not like your shaman is going to be
contributing any real DPS hitting something with a stick by the time he's of
a level to get his epic, after all. To the extent that the shaman epic is a
damage producer, its the mana free dot that does it.

For melee, the lameness of epics is more evident, because mudflation has
introduced substantially better melee weapons since the kunark era, so much
so that trickle down combined with the fact that a weapon is the most
important thing a melee can have, means that those weapons are often in your
hands before you could concievably get your epic, and certainly if you
continue on up into a moderate level raiding guild will be outmoded by
subsequent no drop weaponry.

Note, looking over people arguing to the contrary, that no one is talking
about the damage/delay ratios on those things, its all about "as an offhand
weapon for the haste" or something like that. Why? Because you can buy a
better ratio weapon for a song, compared to the effort it would take to
actually get the epic.

Bergh

Erik Larsson

Aug 7, 2003, 7:06:01 AM8/7/03
James Grahame wrote:

> "John M Clancy" <notan...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Shaman epic is out dated.
>
> Free damage for soloing, and the stats are very good. Considering how
> easy this epic is, I can't see why a shaman would skip it.

Seems to me a lot of shamans these days get stuck on the tear from PoF.
Getting it is nowhere near easy unless you're in a guild that raids PoF.
I'm in a pretty new guild and we did a lot of the old content in the
beginning and everytime we did CT there was always nonguilded people
begging to come along and loot it.
Rest of it is cake though.

> > Enchanter epic is out dated.
>
> Again, what would you have the enchanter get that has equivalent or
> better stats? Droppables are getting closer in quality, but aren't quite
> there yet. I'd say this is just at the edge of effort versus reward being
> positive.

Bought one of these for 26k in the bazaar the other day:

Blood Runed Battle Wand
LORE ITEM MAGIC ITEM
Damage: 21
Delay: 24
Ratio: 1.142 Amazing
Dex: +10 Int: +12 Cha: +12 Fire Resist: +12 Cold Resist: +12 Disease
Resist: +12 HP: +70 Mana: +70
Weight: 3.0
Weapon Skill: One Hand Blunt
Classes: Wizard Magician Enchanter Necromancer
Races: All Races
Inventory Slot: Primary Melee
Required: Yes

Focus Effect: Haste of Solusek
1: Increase Spell Haste by 15%
2: Limit: Max Level(65)
3: Limit: Spell(Complete Healing excluded)
4: Limit: Min Casting Time(3.00 sec)
5: Limit: Spell Type(Detrimental only)

--
Picklesworth 65 cleric
Fennin ro server

Graeme Faelban

Aug 7, 2003, 9:02:55 AM8/7/03
"James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca> wrote in

And if I made that kind of cash, it would promptly be plopped down on
spells I am still missing and would dearly love to have.

Graeme Faelban

Aug 7, 2003, 9:06:49 AM8/7/03
Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote in

For melee types, I would not disagree. For us casters, the options are
more limited, due to the fact that for us, it's not the damage/delay
ratio, as you said, it's the effect and the stats that make the epics
good.

Graeme Faelban

Aug 7, 2003, 9:09:42 AM8/7/03
Erik Larsson <bluen...@REhotmailMOVE.com> wrote in

> James Grahame wrote:
>>
>> "John M Clancy" <notan...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Shaman epic is out dated.
>>
>> Free damage for soloing, and the stats are very good. Considering
>> how
>> easy this epic is, I can't see why a shaman would skip it.
>
> Seems to me a lot of shamans these days get stuck on the tear from
> PoF. Getting it is nowhere near easy unless you're in a guild that
> raids PoF. I'm in a pretty new guild and we did a lot of the old
> content in the beginning and everytime we did CT there was always
> nonguilded people begging to come along and loot it.
> Rest of it is cake though.

One of the two golems that spawns the broodling is single group doable,
as he does not DT, and, is no tougher really than many pop mobs that are
single groupable. The tricky part is getting a single group to him to
kill him, lots of mobs to go through, but, again, should all be single
group doable. This is, of course, at level 65ish. But, even at level
65, I am still quite content wielding my epic, and I use the DoT all the
time. I have yet to come across a better item to hold in my main hand.

Sean

Aug 7, 2003, 9:39:31 AM8/7/03
Erik Larsson <bluen...@REhotmailMOVE.com> wrote in

> James Grahame wrote:

I'll take that over the mage epic any day ;-P

Faned

Aug 7, 2003, 11:01:30 AM8/7/03
<deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> What weapons are nearly as good as epic weapons that cost only 15kp (a hell
> of a lot of money for 95% of the players)? I may shell out the cash on my
> enchanter if you can name one.

Cartographer's Quill
The Putrid Fish
Thundering Mace
Blood Bladed Dagger
Coral Dagger

I've seen some of those for under 5k. :P

Davian

Aug 7, 2003, 12:20:18 PM8/7/03

"Erik Larsson" <bluen...@REhotmailMOVE.com> wrote in message

> James Grahame wrote:
> >
> > "John M Clancy" <notan...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Shaman epic is out dated.
> >
> > Free damage for soloing, and the stats are very good. Considering
how
> > easy this epic is, I can't see why a shaman would skip it.
>
> Seems to me a lot of shamans these days get stuck on the tear from PoF.
> Getting it is nowhere near easy unless you're in a guild that raids PoF.
> I'm in a pretty new guild and we did a lot of the old content in the
> beginning and everytime we did CT there was always nonguilded people
> begging to come along and loot it.
> Rest of it is cake though.

The tears are a guarenteed drop off of two mobs that spawn every three days.

Compared to every other epic, that is cake.

--
Dearic

Dwarven Overlord on E'ci

Faned

Aug 7, 2003, 12:27:12 PM8/7/03

Well, not *every* other epic. I could do monk epic in a few hours and
probably have enough time to do rogue epic before bed. Throw in shaman epic
if I wanted to make it a late night. :)

Graeme Faelban

Aug 7, 2003, 1:02:39 PM8/7/03
Faned <fa...@wyld.qx.net> wrote in

On EMarr at least, getting the pipe from Chardok is very difficult, as
the mob is perma camped, unless, of course, you are willing to pay the
person camping it what he is charging for them. Not sure about any of
the other mobs needed for it really. The rogue epic, has those silly
notes that need to be PPed, which can take a while I am told.

Axster

Aug 7, 2003, 4:44:31 PM8/7/03
Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote in message > The shaman epic can be done solo 95% of the way, and the final mob takes only a

> mage and a cleric; the only "raid" part of the whole quest is the fear part...
> and even then, I think a single group can do that part now. But ignoring the
> high powered ubers who can pull that off, still everything except the fear part
> is trivially easy to do; my shaman has soloed his way up to the Fear drop and is
> currently only 51.

I did most of my Shammy epic solo, but I see no way you can solo the
Hole portion of it, unless you did the faction trick. When I say
solo, I mean nobody helped in any way, no cheats such as jumping in
the hole /q, etc...
I just don't see that, but most skip The Hole these days.

Fear is a tough one on my server, not so much for the fight, but for
the guilds who kill the golems as soon as they pop so they can
multi-quest the tear for $$$$ or keep on other characters for future
use. As for Rak, I wouldn't be too sure about just a mage and a
cleric. I've heard about the fire pet trick, but always with a few
mages and some backup. Maybe with levels now at 65 and AAs that's
changed. And you still need a rogue with 200 lock pick to get to him,
no?

Faned

Aug 7, 2003, 4:56:08 PM8/7/03
<be...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote in message > The shaman epic can be done solo 95% of the way, and the final mob takes only a
> > mage and a cleric; the only "raid" part of the whole quest is the fear part...
> > and even then, I think a single group can do that part now. But ignoring the
> > high powered ubers who can pull that off, still everything except the fear part
> > is trivially easy to do; my shaman has soloed his way up to the Fear drop and is
> > currently only 51.
>
> I did most of my Shammy epic solo, but I see no way you can solo the
> Hole portion of it, unless you did the faction trick. When I say
> solo, I mean nobody helped in any way, no cheats such as jumping in
> the hole /q, etc...
> I just don't see that, but most skip The Hole these days.

I 2-boxed the Hole part of the shaman epic (magician + cleric to fight in,
CoH'ed in the shaman :). Still not done with shaman epic, but I've spent a
grand total of about 5 hours on it and I'm mostly done, I simply haven't
logged the shaman in for a while so no pressing desire to finish it. :)

> Fear is a tough one on my server, not so much for the fight, but for
> the guilds who kill the golems as soon as they pop so they can
> multi-quest the tear for $$$$ or keep on other characters for future
> use. As for Rak, I wouldn't be too sure about just a mage and a
> cleric. I've heard about the fire pet trick, but always with a few
> mages and some backup. Maybe with levels now at 65 and AAs that's
> changed. And you still need a rogue with 200 lock pick to get to him,
> no?

You don't need a rogue if you know how to "fly". :) Another part I 2-boxed,
both for me and for a friend's level 30-ish twink. There's an actual key to
be gotten for the lift.

Lance Berg

Aug 7, 2003, 5:24:33 PM8/7/03

Axster wrote:

> Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote in message > The shaman epic can be done solo 95% of the way, and the final mob takes only a
> > mage and a cleric; the only "raid" part of the whole quest is the fear part...
> > and even then, I think a single group can do that part now. But ignoring the
> > high powered ubers who can pull that off, still everything except the fear part
> > is trivially easy to do; my shaman has soloed his way up to the Fear drop and is
> > currently only 51.
>
> I did most of my Shammy epic solo, but I see no way you can solo the
> Hole portion of it, unless you did the faction trick. When I say
> solo, I mean nobody helped in any way, no cheats such as jumping in
> the hole /q, etc...
> I just don't see that, but most skip The Hole these days.

Yep, skipped the Hole entirely, I'm a solo/small group shaman, been there done that as far as getting raids together to do things for
me, and have no plan to do it again if it can be avoided. Since COM is decent exp, I soloed the stables area for several levels,
collected the drops and did the paperwork run repeatedly.

95% of the shaman epic is about faction, and while its possible to do every step just once and get to the right faction level, its just
as possible to repeat earlier steps for the same result.

> Fear is a tough one on my server, not so much for the fight, but for
> the guilds who kill the golems as soon as they pop so they can
> multi-quest the tear for $$$$ or keep on other characters for future
> use. As for Rak, I wouldn't be too sure about just a mage and a
> cleric. I've heard about the fire pet trick, but always with a few
> mages and some backup. Maybe with levels now at 65 and AAs that's
> changed. And you still need a rogue with 200 lock pick to get to him,
> no?

As a cleric I've done the Rak thing with one mage, one shaman (dead) and one cleric, all in our 50s, long before POP release. I
suppose nowadays you'd need a rogue since they nerfed grav flux, but originally we'd have the mage go in via grav elevator and then
open the door to let the other two in. Also, I've done it with a group, which made getting to Rak easier... but the Rak kill was again
just me and the mage's pet.

Rak is a Kunark Era mob, he's really not much of a threat other than his massive AE nuke. Fire pets are immune to that nuke, so all
you have to do is keep the pet alive long enough to kill him. Shaman can throw stat buff up the fire pet and throw in some heals, but
really its all CHeal and pet damage + DS. I've seen a second mage, that helps a lot, a second cleric too... but that was before the
day of the shaman Incomplete heal, I wager with that you'd have even less to worry about. Still, increasing DPS (second mage, higher
level mage) or increasing healing (second cleric, some kind of cleric substitute) work out all right. I've also seen rangers chime in
with bow damage, which is ok, great even, if you can be very sure of not getting aggro. In the end, the question is, does the mob die
before the pet dies, get there any way you like.

I prefered the times when we pulled lord Rak outside the temple so we could be add free, and amusingly enough I've seen the shaman live
thru that, by going into the water while the mage pet grabs aggro. Indoors, there's not really anywhere to run out of AE range before
the shaman dies, and you sure don't want him running towards the kill team, if the pet fails to get aggro or the kill team gets hit by
that AE its over pretty quick.

I hear that post POP this is even more trivial, after all, the AE is only 2k hp, meaning that the mob is really tankable by standard
means by people with 8k hp and running HOTs and so forth. Dunno, haven't done the mob in ages, all the shaman I knew already had their
epics.

Bergh

Graeme Faelban

Aug 8, 2003, 9:15:52 AM8/8/03
Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote in

They changed the way the resists work since then. It really is more
difficult than it was back then. It is still doable with a mage pet, and
a cleric I think, but it is much more difficult than it was, the pet will
no longer resist 100%. Having tried this twice without success,
including one attempt with 3 mages with fire pets, I can say with
absolute certainty that it is not as easy as it was. I would recommend
the high FR, high level tank and a cleric to heal him. More DPS beyond
that would be handy, but not necessary.

We tried all the recommended tricks with the fire pet, getting the mage
down below 100FR prior to casting the pet, getting the mage with as high
an FR as we could prior to casting the pet. Didn't matter, the pet was
not immune. They used to be, back when you did it.

> throw stat buff up the fire pet and throw in some heals, but really
> its all CHeal and pet damage + DS. I've seen a second mage, that
> helps a lot, a second cleric too... but that was before the day of the
> shaman Incomplete heal, I wager with that you'd have even less to
> worry about. Still, increasing DPS (second mage, higher level mage)
> or increasing healing (second cleric, some kind of cleric substitute)
> work out all right. I've also seen rangers chime in with bow damage,
> which is ok, great even, if you can be very sure of not getting aggro.
> In the end, the question is, does the mob die before the pet dies,
> get there any way you like.
>
> I prefered the times when we pulled lord Rak outside the temple so we
> could be add free, and amusingly enough I've seen the shaman live thru
> that, by going into the water while the mage pet grabs aggro.
> Indoors, there's not really anywhere to run out of AE range before the
> shaman dies, and you sure don't want him running towards the kill
> team, if the pet fails to get aggro or the kill team gets hit by that
> AE its over pretty quick.
>
> I hear that post POP this is even more trivial, after all, the AE is
> only 2k hp, meaning that the mob is really tankable by standard means
> by people with 8k hp and running HOTs and so forth. Dunno, haven't
> done the mob in ages, all the shaman I knew already had their epics.

It is definitely more trivial to do with a tank than it used to be,
that's how we ultimately succeeded on mine, and on the other shamans in
my previous guild. Had a level 62ish SK to tank, along with a level 65
ranger to help with DPS, kept everyone else outside the AoE. We did the
fight downstairs inside the building, placing Rak at one end, the healers
at the door, just outside AoE range, but inside healing range.

Of course, all epics have become easier to do post PoP. I managed to
solo General V'Deers last night in OT, after pulling him from the fort.

Dan Harmon

Aug 8, 2003, 4:40:28 PM8/8/03

"Faned" <fa...@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message

Thanks, I'll look them up. :)

Dan Harmon

Aug 8, 2003, 4:57:31 PM8/8/03

"Faned" <fa...@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message

Cart Quill, Thundering Mac & BBDagger are pretty ok, compared to the
epic...as long as you're not raiding something that requires resists
(unless, of course, you're an elemental planar guild who already has resists
out their butt, unlike the rest of us).

The fish drops in COD...what were the chances? :)

Chris Monster

Aug 9, 2003, 12:22:28 PM8/9/03

"Lance Berg" <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote

>...before the day of the shaman Incomplete heal ...

hahahahhahahahahahhahaha

Frank E

Aug 11, 2003, 2:13:33 PM8/11/03
On 7 Aug 2003 13:44:31 -0700, be...@hotmail.com (Axster) wrote:

>As for Rak, I wouldn't be too sure about just a mage and a
>cleric. I've heard about the fire pet trick, but always with a few
>mages and some backup. Maybe with levels now at 65 and AAs that's
>changed.

It has changed. Given a tank with good FR, Rak can be duo'd without a
cleric. I've killed him with a 65SK and 61 shaman and I ended the
fight with full mana. Quiessence would make it trivial.

Rgds, Frank

Frank E

Aug 11, 2003, 2:13:34 PM8/11/03
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:50:19 GMT, Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com>
wrote:

>The shaman epic can be done solo 95% of the way, and the final mob takes only a
>mage and a cleric; the only "raid" part of the whole quest is the fear part...
>and even then, I think a single group can do that part now. But ignoring the
>high powered ubers who can pull that off, still everything except the fear part
>is trivially easy to do; my shaman has soloed his way up to the Fear drop and is
>currently only 51.

You solo'd Kirn at lvl 51? Actually, that might be doable, but you
won't solo down to Kirn at 51, no way in hell.

Rgds, Frank

Lance Berg

Aug 11, 2003, 12:50:33 PM8/11/03

Frank E wrote:

No, however Kirn is entirely unnecessary to get the epic. What you are doing with
Most of the parts of the shaman epic series of quests is getting faction. Only a
couple of them are actually necessary steps, the rest can be skipped by doing earlier
portions repeatedly instead. For example, taking Woe and Envy and the shield to the
Wandering Spirit in WK; you don't need any earlier part to do that, and so you don't
have to start over, you can just run to RM and get the drops, gate back and find the
spirit and hand them in, repeat.

Or you can do what I did, which is to do your exp camping in the COM stables and keep
an eye out for the courrier. You'll collect the rest of the pages trivially while
working, getting good exp and some cash income, and every time you get the courrier
thats another big faction hit for combining the parts and running it in to the mob in
EJ. Plus, if people are killing Lord Ghiosk you can probably get the books he drops
for the asking, another faction hit for you.

The golem in Fear you can also do solo, assuming a raid went in there beforehand to
kill the real golems and happened to leave him up; the mob isn't hard its getting him
popped that takes a village... and you can even do that with a small group provided
you don't pick on the DT golems to do it, and get lucky.

Paax, 51 shaman, Morel-Thule

Frank E

Aug 11, 2003, 5:04:19 PM8/11/03
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:50:33 GMT, Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com>
wrote:

>Frank E wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:50:19 GMT, Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >The shaman epic can be done solo 95% of the way, and the final mob takes only a
>> >mage and a cleric; the only "raid" part of the whole quest is the fear part...
>> >and even then, I think a single group can do that part now. But ignoring the
>> >high powered ubers who can pull that off, still everything except the fear part
>> >is trivially easy to do; my shaman has soloed his way up to the Fear drop and is
>> >currently only 51.
>>
>> You solo'd Kirn at lvl 51? Actually, that might be doable, but you
>> won't solo down to Kirn at 51, no way in hell.
>
>No, however Kirn is entirely unnecessary to get the epic. What you are doing with
>Most of the parts of the shaman epic series of quests is getting faction. Only a
>couple of them are actually necessary steps, the rest can be skipped by doing earlier
>portions repeatedly instead. For example, taking Woe and Envy and the shield to the
>Wandering Spirit in WK; you don't need any earlier part to do that, and so you don't
>have to start over, you can just run to RM and get the drops, gate back and find the
>spirit and hand them in, repeat.

True. I guess I don't consider that 'doing' the epic. Otherwise I
could 'do' the shaman epic at 20th lvl solo except for the last fight.
Run the first step of the quest to get up to max ally and have someone
else turn in the tear to spawn Rak.

Doesn't seem worth the trouble though, It takes maybe 30 minutes to
get to and kill Kirn even if you don't do the DA dive down the hole.

>The golem in Fear you can also do solo, assuming a raid went in there beforehand to
>kill the real golems and happened to leave him up; the mob isn't hard its getting him
>popped that takes a village... and you can even do that with a small group provided
>you don't pick on the DT golems to do it, and get lucky.

Heh, too many memories of sitting at that damn portal to Fear after a
wipe to even consider going into that zone solo.

Rgds, Frank

Graeme Faelban

Aug 11, 2003, 2:54:46 PM8/11/03
Frank E <Fra...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Way back when, I understand that was a viable tactic for a desperate
shaman, as the Iksar Broodling was not spawned by killing a golem. Strip
naked, toss everything in the bank (like I have room for that), SoW,
Invis, (Probably wouldn't hurt to have Cheetah memmed and ready to cast),
zone in, run like mad to the Broodling, kill, loot, gate out.