I started a Ranger!

Xenomorph

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
For the past few days, I wasn't sure about either a Wood Elf or Half Elf
Ranger. I just know I wanted to see in the dark and start near Freeport
(Kelethin is the closest Ranger guild).

I actually ended up with a Female/Human Ranger near Qeynos! This past few
weeks I have made many trips from Freeport to Qeynos and back with another
character (my Druid). So even though I may be in Qeynos, I know how to get
my ass to Freeport. Plus I have friends and higher level characters that can
provide me with a Greater Lightstone (I already bougt a regular Lightstone),
and I actually got to wear a Heatstone a magician summoned. So being a blind
human is no big deal I guess.

These are my stats, tell me what you think.
STR 95
STA 85
AGI 95
DEX 75
WIS 80
INT 75
CHA 75

--

WebMaster - http://xenomorph.net
Guild Leader - Seekers of Lore - Xegony Server

Sam Schlansky

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
xeno...@NOSPAMdarkcastle.com (Xenomorph) wrote in
<_o6E3.8859$S4.26...@typhoon.stlnet.com>:

>For the past few days, I wasn't sure about either a Wood Elf or Half
>Elf Ranger. I just know I wanted to see in the dark and start near
>Freeport (Kelethin is the closest Ranger guild).
>
>I actually ended up with a Female/Human Ranger near Qeynos!

Good for you!

Human is the way to go... no XP penalty. The lack of infravision is no
big deal when you can get a greater lightstone basically for free, IMO.

If you're twinking your character, you should probably get a glowing
stone band (infravision) or a 2H-silvery war axe (serpent sight,
infravision) though... it IS nice to have.

(snip)

>These are my stats, tell me what you think.
>STR 95
>STA 85
>AGI 95
>DEX 75
>WIS 80
>INT 75
>CHA 75

That's not a BAD distribution of stats necessarily... for the long-
term, however, I'd advise putting ALL my bonus points into strength. If
you really want to split them up, put the extras into dexterity-- high
agility is completely useless, you wasted 5 points there.

Sam

--

/| Sam Schlansky <sam[at]operation3d[dot]com>
/| PGP Key ID: 0x63A9D707

Smoka

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
On 16 Sep 1999 10:02:05 -0500, s...@deletethis.operation3d.com (Sam
Schlansky) wrote:

>xeno...@NOSPAMdarkcastle.com (Xenomorph) wrote in
><_o6E3.8859$S4.26...@typhoon.stlnet.com>:
>
>>For the past few days, I wasn't sure about either a Wood Elf or Half
>>Elf Ranger. I just know I wanted to see in the dark and start near
>>Freeport (Kelethin is the closest Ranger guild).
>>
>>I actually ended up with a Female/Human Ranger near Qeynos!
>
>Good for you!
>
>Human is the way to go... no XP penalty. The lack of infravision is no
>big deal when you can get a greater lightstone basically for free, IMO.

Rangers get a 25% exp penalty to start. Humans get a 10% exp bonus.
Makes it still a 15% exp penalty. Not much of a difference I know,
just clarifying it a little bit.

>If you're twinking your character, you should probably get a glowing
>stone band (infravision) or a 2H-silvery war axe (serpent sight,
>infravision) though... it IS nice to have.
>
>(snip)
>
>>These are my stats, tell me what you think.
>>STR 95
>>STA 85
>>AGI 95
>>DEX 75
>>WIS 80
>>INT 75
>>CHA 75
>
>That's not a BAD distribution of stats necessarily... for the long-
>term, however, I'd advise putting ALL my bonus points into strength. If
>you really want to split them up, put the extras into dexterity-- high
>agility is completely useless, you wasted 5 points there.
>
>Sam
>
>--
>
>/| Sam Schlansky <sam[at]operation3d[dot]com>
>/| PGP Key ID: 0x63A9D707
>/| 3DNews.net: News With Perspective!
>/| 3DHardware.net: Taking Your Machine To The Third Dimension!
>/| Remove "deletethis" to email.

Smoka Silvertree
23rd Level Ranger
Fennin Ro

Marc Fuller

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Sam Schlansky wrote:

> xeno...@NOSPAMdarkcastle.com (Xenomorph) wrote in
> <_o6E3.8859$S4.26...@typhoon.stlnet.com>:
>
> >For the past few days, I wasn't sure about either a Wood Elf or Half
> >Elf Ranger. I just know I wanted to see in the dark and start near
> >Freeport (Kelethin is the closest Ranger guild).
> >
> >I actually ended up with a Female/Human Ranger near Qeynos!
>
> Good for you!
>
> Human is the way to go... no XP penalty. The lack of infravision is no
> big deal when you can get a greater lightstone basically for free, IMO.
>
> If you're twinking your character, you should probably get a glowing
> stone band (infravision) or a 2H-silvery war axe (serpent sight,
> infravision) though... it IS nice to have.

[snip]

How much would a Glowing Stone Band cost? Any idea? I'd started an Erudite
Enchanter, but I ended up putting it on hold after the second or third time I
got lost and fell in the river after dark, or got killed by that stupid
poacher. (By the way, Nektulos is *not* the worst newbie zone in the game. Tox
Forest is *much* worse. The critter population is just as low, and the maximum
sight range seems to be about half what it is in Nektulos. Not to mention the
fog is (for me, anyway) a puke-a-rific shade of green. The terrian around the
gate also appears to be very hilly, which makes it very easy to get totally
lost. Now I know why the first thing every young Erudite does is move to
Qeynos.)

Marc Fuller

shudehill

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:15:40 -0500, "Xenomorph"
<xeno...@NOSPAMdarkcastle.com> wrote:

>For the past few days, I wasn't sure about either a Wood Elf or Half Elf
>Ranger. I just know I wanted to see in the dark and start near Freeport
>(Kelethin is the closest Ranger guild).

Just remember that you can now train your ranger at the guild master
in Kithicor Woods. The guildmaster is located in Kithicor's house, if
I'm understanding the posts about it correctly. If you do decide to
live in Freeport at some time, it sure beats taking the boat to
Faydwer and trying to navigate GF.
Rangers are great fun to play, you have made a good decision.

take care,
Liz
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein

Minister of Propaganda

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

Sam Schlansky wrote:

> Good for you!

> If you're twinking your character, you should probably get a glowing
> stone band (infravision) or a 2H-silvery war axe (serpent sight,
> infravision) though... it IS nice to have.

better still, get a few ultravision necklaces from a Mage 29+.
Ultravision is way cool, and you won't have to twink.

minister

Xenomorph

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
These weapons/items you mention, where would I get them, and how much do
they cost?

The only thing I have that I could give my Ranger from my level 18 Druid is
maybe a few weapons (Runed Totem Staff, Tentacle Whip) and some money..

and about my stats... i've seen EVERYBODY aggree that STR is important (and
i agree, i always want more so i can carry more stuff), and everybody agrees
that STA is NOT important... but i always see people disagree over AGI and
DEX... I do not know what to believe.. i just know AGI was in green when i
made my character, and DEX was not... i can get some +2 DEX Derv rings
easily to try to balance it out(i always seem to have backpacks full of them
i just get rid of all the time).. but where can i find out the truth about
AGI and DEX?

I see AGI as defense. (Higher AGI = Less hits to me) and I see DEX as
offense (Higher DEX = More times I hit them)

--

Sam Schlansky <s...@deletethis.operation3d.com> wrote in message

> Good for you!
>
> Human is the way to go... no XP penalty. The lack of infravision is no
> big deal when you can get a greater lightstone basically for free, IMO.
>

> If you're twinking your character, you should probably get a glowing
> stone band (infravision) or a 2H-silvery war axe (serpent sight,
> infravision) though... it IS nice to have.

Xenomorph

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
is that the big house with the named Grizzly in front of it? i have seen
it.. i was told there was a extremely high level NPC in the zone though, so
i stayed clear of it... (i died like once from lvl 12 to 18 because i play
it safe :) ) i was told it is locked with no way to get in... then again the
whole zone is dark and no one i have ever met knows whats in it or why it
has to suck so much :) (really, what can you do in it?)

--

WebMaster - http://xenomorph.net
Guild Leader - Seekers of Lore - Xegony Server

shudehill <parad...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:22:36 GMT, parad...@earthlink.net (shudehill) wrote:

|Just remember that you can now train your ranger at the guild master
|in Kithicor Woods. The guildmaster is located in Kithicor's house, if
|I'm understanding the posts about it correctly.

No, not even close. Kithicor's house is at -556 by 1947; the new
guildmaster, Morin Shadowbane, is in the village located at 1455 by 2319.

I've been logging the location of everything even moderately intersting in
Kithicor Woods lately.

Dennis F. Heffernan EQ: Venture Fletcher(E'ci) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"There's no easy way to be free."
-- Pete Townshend, "Slip Kid"

shudehill

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:18:18 GMT, dfra...@email.com (Dennis Francis
Heffernan) wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:22:36 GMT, parad...@earthlink.net (shudehill) wrote:
> The guildmaster is located in Kithicor's house, if
>|I'm understanding the posts about it correctly.
>
> No, not even close. Kithicor's house is at -556 by 1947; the new
>guildmaster, Morin Shadowbane, is in the village located at 1455 by 2319.

Thanks for the correction. I hadn't checked it out myself yet, just
remembered someone here saying it was in the "house by the named
grizzly." Guess they were confused.
I'll have to check out Kith now that it has all these new mysterious
things going on within it. Although I am a bit sad, I kind of liked
the spooky, quiet, dark woods feel it had - hope it isn't too overrun
with mobs now.

Robert Viduya

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
No-one seems to know the real truth behind what exactly DEX and AGI do,
except to say that DEX helps attacks and AGI helps defense. Other than that
basic principal, you'll find a lot of different opinions as to which is more
important. My feeling is to balance them along with STR and STA. If you're
going to play your ranger past level 30, then remember you get a +18 AGI
buff spell at 15 and a +15 STR buff spell at 30, but no DEX or STA buff.
This means that you probably want to spend more time and money going after
DEX and STA items and just pick up the STR and AGI items when convenient.

I'm currently at level 28 and finding a single item that can boost any of
the four stats as much as one of those buffs is unheard of at that level.
Instead I've relied on picking up pieces here and there. Since we only have
a limited number of slots, it gets to be a game in and of itself trying to
figure out what to replace with what. I've concentrated on boosting DEX and
I've got it nicely into the 100s. AGI has been well into the 100s for as
long as I can remember. STR is still only in the upper 90s, but that'll
change when I hit 30. STA is lagging and I need spend more time working on
it.

When you get to the point where you can buy player-made jewelry, try to get
those that boost two stats instead of just one. You want to get the most
out of each of your wearable slots. Rings, bracelets and earrings are nicer
than necklaces and face jewelry; you only have one face and one neck. You
also want to research jewel availability: Black Pearl jewelry is nice
(boosts both AGI and DEX), but since it's only dropped by mobs, the rarity
drives the price up. Fire Emeralds (boosts DEX and STR), on the other hand,
are sold by vendors and hence much more available. With an early AGI buff,
the Fire Emeralds make much more sense to a ranger than does Black Pearl.

Sam Schlansky

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

>On 16 Sep 1999 10:02:05 -0500, s...@deletethis.operation3d.com (Sam
>Schlansky) wrote:

(snip)

>>Human is the way to go... no XP penalty. The lack of infravision is
>>no big deal when you can get a greater lightstone basically for
>>free, IMO.
>

>Rangers get a 25% exp penalty to start. Humans get a 10% exp bonus.
>Makes it still a 15% exp penalty. Not much of a difference I know,
>just clarifying it a little bit.

Humans do not get a 10% experience "bonus", they simply have NO penalty!

Sam Schlansky

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
ministerSP...@adelphia.net (Minister of Propaganda) wrote in
<37E11004...@adelphia.net>:

>Sam Schlansky wrote:
>

>> Good for you!
>

>> If you're twinking your character, you should probably get a glowing
>> stone band (infravision) or a 2H-silvery war axe (serpent sight,
>> infravision) though... it IS nice to have.
>>

>better still, get a few ultravision necklaces from a Mage 29+.
>Ultravision is way cool, and you won't have to twink.

No-drop = useless as a long-term item.

Sam Schlansky

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
<Q39E3.8871$S4.26...@typhoon.stlnet.com>:

>These weapons/items you mention, where would I get them, and how
>much do they cost?

The glowing stone band, very cheaply... maybe 50 plat or so. The 2-
handed silvery war axe, fairly cheap... maybe 900 plat or so. The stone
band comes from Solusek A (I think), and the Axe is from Permafrost.

>The only thing I have that I could give my Ranger from my level 18
>Druid is maybe a few weapons (Runed Totem Staff, Tentacle Whip) and
>some money..

Oh. Forget it then. :)

>and about my stats... i've seen EVERYBODY aggree that STR is
>important (and i agree, i always want more so i can carry more
>stuff), and everybody agrees that STA is NOT important... but i
>always see people disagree over AGI and DEX... I do not know what to
>believe.. i just know AGI was in green when i made my character, and
>DEX was not... i can get some +2 DEX Derv rings easily to try to
>balance it out(i always seem to have backpacks full of them i just
>get rid of all the time).. but where can i find out the truth about
>AGI and DEX?
>
>I see AGI as defense. (Higher AGI = Less hits to me) and I see DEX
>as offense (Higher DEX = More times I hit them)

Here's the truth.

Agility up to 80 increases your running speed, any more than 80 makes
no difference. When you DO get overloaded, the higher your agility the
further it has to go to get below 80 and slow you down. Every couple
points of agility increases your armor class by one, much like every
couple points of stamina increases your HP. Above 100 you get a
bonus for high agility, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference if
you get MUCH beyond 100. Agility has no effect beyond this.

Dexterity has a *noticeable* effect on melee chance to hit, chance of
your weapons proc'ing, overcoming interruptions in spellcasting,
effectiveness of your dodge, parry, and riposte skills, and most trade
skills.

Strength is by *far* the most important stat. Higher strength adds
directly to your ATK value, in that 1 point of strength is 1 point of
ATK. It also increases your max damage and increases the number of
times you GET max damage (along with dexterity) at high levels.

Finally, +AGI items are pathetically easy to come across in the game.
Dexterity and Strength much less so.

Go for STR and DEX.

Sam

>Sam Schlansky <s...@deletethis.operation3d.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Good for you!
>>

>> Human is the way to go... no XP penalty. The lack of infravision
>> is no big deal when you can get a greater lightstone basically for
>> free, IMO.
>>

>> If you're twinking your character, you should probably get a
>> glowing stone band (infravision) or a 2H-silvery war axe (serpent
>> sight, infravision) though... it IS nice to have.
>>

>> (snip)
>>
>> >These are my stats, tell me what you think.
>> >STR 95
>> >STA 85
>> >AGI 95
>> >DEX 75
>> >WIS 80
>> >INT 75
>> >CHA 75
>>
>> That's not a BAD distribution of stats necessarily... for the long

>> - term, however, I'd advise putting ALL my bonus points into

>> strength. If you really want to split them up, put the extras into
>> dexterity-- high agility is completely useless, you wasted 5
>> points there.

Joseph M Leonard

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
I'm a fan of agility and dexterity myself. I can't help but think
dexterity is paramount for a ranger since dual wielding is really the
only way to go with a ranger. You want to be hitting as often as possible
and weapon effects will go off like fireworks (double Ykesha's anyone?).
Not to mention I do believe agility and dexterity are also important
because they factor into parrying, dodging, and riposting. Of course,
rangers are now even better at dodging and parrying thanks to the new
patch, so there is even more incentive to pump agility and dexterity.
Strength? What, so you carry more stuff and you do max hit for 1 more
point of damage every 6 or 7 points or strength? Big deal. I'll take
a quad attack and kick that actually hit instead. Rangers don't wear heavy
plate anyway, I'm only at about 54 pounds with all of my equipment.
Stamina? Useless. Strength? Sure I'll take some if it's for free. Wisdom?
It's just mana, rangers are tanks, not wizards. My agility is somewhere
around 173 and avoiding all three attacks, a double slash and a bash, is
a real treat. Three attacks are routinely around 250 damage at
higher levels. Keep in mind rangers are meant to be a lithe, agile class
hence the insanely high dodge cap and the exclusive cat feet spell.

In retrospect I can't emphasize how much more important dexterity is than
strength for offense. At higher levels it means your weapon effect going
off for 60+ damage, two or more times per mob.

-- Joe

katpappas

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
Most rangers agree that agility is the most important stat. However, you
may want to take a look at this site...soerbaird.com/ranger..for more info.

Minister of Propaganda

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99

Sam Schlansky wrote:

> >> If you're twinking your character, you should probably get a glowing
> >> stone band (infravision) or a 2H-silvery war axe (serpent sight,
> >> infravision) though... it IS nice to have.
> >>

> >better still, get a few ultravision necklaces from a Mage 29+.
> >Ultravision is way cool, and you won't have to twink.
>
> No-drop = useless as a long-term item.

Haven't played in a week... did they make em no drop in the last patch?
(weren't before)

If not, just bank extras and bank the one you are using when you can--
should last many sessions if you get 5 or so.

minister
meeke n' fluffy
cazic thule

Sam Schlansky

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
<37E25A22...@adelphia.net>:

>> >better still, get a few ultravision necklaces from a Mage 29+.
>> >Ultravision is way cool, and you won't have to twink.
>>
>> No-drop = useless as a long-term item.
>>

>Haven't played in a week... did they make em no drop in the last
>patch? (weren't before)

Whoops, I'm sorry, typo there. I meant "no-rent".

>If not, just bank extras and bank the one you are using when you can

>-- should last many sessions if you get 5 or so.

Annoying PITA to do it though.

Jason

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99

Avoid the TT whip. It really is no good, I am just lucky I sold it for more
than I bought one for. If you are looking for a weapon for your Ranger, get
a Dragoon Dirk. The dmg/delay is very good, but this is all just my opinion.

Ap.Io (JEE)

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
Please tell me more about what weapons I should get as a Ranger? Are you
human, Wood Elf, Half-Elf.....??

Stoobie

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
As a good ranger, you should apply yourself to the 1HS
philosophy, IMO. You can acquire a Shiny Brass Shield for
protection until you get Dual Wield ability. Start out with
a mino axe and work your way to Dual Wielding dwarven axes,
until you are good enough (or rich enough) to acquire
magical weapons.

I just made 20th yesterday, and I generally DW dwarven axes
until I have the opponent under control. Then I place a
Dragoon Dirk in the off hand to try and get my piercing
skill up, which is a horrible 12.

I am currently trying to obtain a Polished Granite
Tomahawk. Although I was waiting for said named gnoll for
much longer than I care to admit, he did not show. But I
will continue my quest with great zest and zeal!

Moonblader of Kelethin
Ranger of the 20th
Erollisi Marr

Pondering a last name.....any ideas?

Xenomorph

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
i got a Fine Steel Scimitar.. someone sold it to me for like 7pp. i do
believe they go for more than that.

DMG 5, DLY 24.

I used it with my Druid for a while.. I will move on to a Combine Scimitar
when I get in my teens (and can afford it) .. there are no Ranger only
weapons out there (there is Warrior only, Paladin only, Shadowknight only,
etc...) so i dont know of any really good weapons..

i am just trying to keep 1H Slash up. the rest of the attacks i most likely
will never use (i might use a piercing weapon for speed or 2h slash for
damage)

--

WebMaster - http://xenomorph.net
Guild Leader - Seekers of Lore - Xegony Server

Ap.Io (JEE) <ap...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Jason

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99

Xenomorph wrote in message ...

>i got a Fine Steel Scimitar.. someone sold it to me for like 7pp. i do
>believe they go for more than that.
>
>DMG 5, DLY 24.
>
>I used it with my Druid for a while.. I will move on to a Combine Scimitar
>when I get in my teens (and can afford it) .. there are no Ranger only
>weapons out there (there is Warrior only, Paladin only, Shadowknight only,
>etc...) so i dont know of any really good weapons..
>
>i am just trying to keep 1H Slash up. the rest of the attacks i most likely
>will never use (i might use a piercing weapon for speed or 2h slash for
>damage)

I didnt want to turn you off of the TT whip too much. If you have the
scimitar, you should be doing great with the whip as a backup. I am just a
little bitter because I had scraped everything I had and sold my dwarven axe
to get the whip. I got very lucky that I found a buyer for the whip and
found a dwarven axe cheaper than I sold mine for.

Suineko

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Xenomorph <xeno...@NOSPAMdarkcastle.com> wrote:
>i got a Fine Steel Scimitar.. someone sold it to me for like 7pp. i do
>believe they go for more than that.
>
>DMG 5, DLY 24.
>
>I used it with my Druid for a while.. I will move on to a Combine Scimitar
>when I get in my teens (and can afford it) .. there are no Ranger only
>weapons out there (there is Warrior only, Paladin only, Shadowknight only,
>etc...) so i dont know of any really good weapons..

Sorry?

There are ranger only weapons out there. Trust me.

And keep your 2hs good as well. You'll need it mid
twenties,

I currently use a Blackened Iron Bastard sword
(2hs, big damage, slow)
Polished tommie and silvery war axe/Dragoon dirk
(waitin on a promised fix from GM to change dirk to lost axe)
Polished tommie and chitin shield

depending on exactly what I'm fighting and my group
dynamics.

My piercing is 8. Which is horrible. But every day, I log
in and check to see if its changed to the axe yet.

No luck so far ;)

Luv,

Sui

24th level ranger
Berttieoxxulous

Xenomorph

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
what weapons? something fromt the Plane of Fear? (in other words something i
will not even see until im level 50 and 100 of my closest friends are all
level 50 so we can take a step insode the PoF without being wiped out in 20
seconds)...

--

WebMaster - http://xenomorph.net
Guild Leader - Seekers of Lore - Xegony Server

Suineko <sui...@spasm.redcat.org.uk> wrote in message

Chuck U. Farley

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
Brad is pleased, you suck up, heheh

bizbee wrote:

> Yn erthygl <7s5h97$aev$2...@nntp3.atl.mindspring.net>, sgrifenws "Ap.Io
> (JEE)" <ap...@ix.netcom.com>:

> >Please tell me more about what weapons I should get as a Ranger? Are you
> >human, Wood Elf, Half-Elf.....??
> >

> If you just started the character, I wouldn't be overly worried about
> what weapons you should have. Go kill some rats, snakes, firebeetles,
> and work your way up a bit. You'll talk to others in the game and get
> a better idea as you go along. Be more concerned with getting a little
> money together for armor, and work your foraging skill so you don't
> have to throw money away on food constantly. At this stage, it's silly
> to worry about a 56plat combine sword and dual wielding when your
> average kill brings in less than one silver, and dual wield skill is a
> <long> ways off.
> Go play! The learning and exploring is what it's all about!

Suineko

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Xenomorph <xeno...@NOSPAMdarkcastle.com> wrote:
>what weapons? something fromt the Plane of Fear? (in other words something i
>will not even see until im level 50 and 100 of my closest friends are all
>level 50 so we can take a step insode the PoF without being wiped out in 20
>seconds)...

No, not just from the plane of Fear (although there too)

And not just on the test server either.

;-)

I almost traded my BIBS for two of them, but I was too
late.

*sob*

They got sold before I could.

Oh, and not just the Ranger only bows either ;)

Luv,

Sui, feeling mildly childish at the moment ;)

Stephen B Laird

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99

> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Xenomorph <xeno...@NOSPAMdarkcastle.com> wrote:
> >what weapons? something fromt the Plane of Fear? (in other words
something i
> >will not even see until im level 50 and 100 of my closest friends are all
> >level 50 so we can take a step insode the PoF without being wiped out in
20
> >seconds)...
> >

> No, not just from the plane of Fear (although there too)
>
> And not just on the test server either.
>
> ;-)
>
> I almost traded my BIBS for two of them, but I was too
> late.
>
> *sob*

Honestly, I wouldn't get too upset over not being able to pick up a pair of
them. The bug (assuming you've heard about it) is every bit as nasty as
people are saying. Been hanging out in Guk on the live side for a while (a
whole lot fewer trains), and managed to get a pair. Great ratio, and when
the spell goes off (doing 49 damage at 39th lvl) the swords just seem
amazing. The nasty part is the bug. When Ensnaring Roots goes off, it
cancels out any Snare or Root spells on the mob, and doesn't allow any of
those spells to take hold for up to 10 or 15 seconds later sometimes. If
you've got a good group who's used to it, you can get around that by using
stun spells to stun all the runners and either chop them down, nuke them, or
eventually snare them. Works ok with one or two mobs and can be worked
around, but when you're in a tight room with 4 or more mobs and you hit most
of them at one time or another making a roomful of unsnareable/unrootable
runners, you've got the potential for some serious trains. Outdoors and
when there's not a real danger of trains I use the swords all the time, but
as soon as I head indoors to Guk or Sol B, the 2 swords go straight into the
Box and out come my trusty old claw and Dragoon Dirk. Less damage, but far
less likely to get your entire party killed.

You have to love the irony of it, though. The sword was obviously meant to
complement a ranger's specialty, snaring everything that moves and
preventing runners, but all it really does is causes unstoppable runners
that get everyone around you killed. <sigh> Hopefully they'll either get
around to fixing it or put all those new weapons in soon, possibly even in
today's patch.

Cheers,
Steve
aka Vanya Rainfell on Bristlebane

Stoobie

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
Well I finally got my PGT the other day, and I was very
lucky. I was about to rest for the evening (log off) when
my partner Btear, who is 100pp richer, was attacked by the
named gnoll. By the time it was dead, we were both down to
2 bbls of health due to 4 or 5 other gnolls of various
types accompanying him. I had to zone and he was smarter
and went to the Captain of the guards.

Although I have not battled much since then, the berserker
strength goes off most fights and I routinely start the
fight with the dragoon dirk in the off hand. I think my
piercing is all the way up to 12...hehe. Of course, if it
is a green, I use the dwarven axe instead of the dirk, due
to no skill advancement against the greens.

Thanks Btear! And does anyone want to buy a dwarven axe? I
have 3 in the bank now :)

Moonblader of Kelethin
Ranger of the 20th
Erollisi Marr

How does just Moonblader Marr sound?

Xenomorph

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
what is a PGT anyway?

--

WebMaster - http://xenomorph.net
Guild Leader - Seekers of Lore - Xegony Server

Stoobie <skmcneil...@southernco.com> wrote in message

D. Bingham Brown

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99

Stephen B Laird wrote in message ...

>You have to love the irony of it, though. The sword was obviously meant to
>complement a ranger's specialty, snaring everything that moves and
>preventing runners, but all it really does is causes unstoppable runners
>that get everyone around you killed. <sigh> Hopefully they'll either get
>around to fixing it or put all those new weapons in soon, possibly even in
>today's patch.

Er... what new weapons?

Lowinor Silverleaf
Wood elf rogue, 34th level, Tunare