Rangers

BlondeFury

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
I love being a ranger.

Pro's:
We are a great blend of tank and utility caster. I did not make the same
mistake many of my friends did and up my magic stats (what is it, int or
wis? one of the two) to attempt to be a viable caster. We are 90% tank, 10%
utility caster. As a monk I went to guk a lot and died many times due to
froggies hopping away at warp speed to pull back his big mean red-conning
friends. I had given up on ever going to Guk. Then I started my ranger. I
didn't have to run into a room to pull, I could just cast my cheesy flame
lick spell (pulls and lowers AC) and then when that little froggy started
hopping away I cast a snare. I can go for about an hour killing froggies by
the ton without meding just by using these two spells. We can not root and
nuke and its a waste of time attempting.
As far as soloing, minor heal may suck but it dramaticly decreases your
down time. Snare prevents run-aways and we are still viable tanks
(especially if you dump your points into AGI instead of STA so you dodge,
parry and generally get missed more). In a group, we are picked ahead of
tanks due to our utility spells and ability to put the smack down. We can
also double as stand in clerics for when your buddy passes out a foot from
the zone, cast a few minor heals, he jumps up and zones. I can't tell you
how many times I have done this.
When 22 hits, we get a decent heal and some more great utility spells
like enduring breath. 30 sees our first DoT and after that we get SoW and
Wolf Form (tho not till 49 which seems kinda sill at that point but anyhoo).
Verant could remove /loc and i wouldn't notice. I have every zone
memorized and can track/sense heading my way anywhere. I never get lost and
people prefer to follow me instead of spam /loc'ing. I used to have a
notebook with /loc logs of everything known to half-elf but have thrown it
away after SH became useable.

Cons:
Armor. mid-teens we are tank gods with all our abilities and wearing
banded with everyone else. Then your tank/cleric friends start getting some
bronze. Kill some Dry Bones, they pick up bronze and giggle as they put it
on. You look back at your banded. mid 20's hit, all your tank/cleric
friends are in full bronze and getting some steel armor but your still
wearing that banded you bought way back when. Oh sure, you replaced the
mantle with bloodstained, but so have they, you've got some low-level magic
armor (which all still look like banded, maybe some blackened chain, but
chain sucks so you went back to banded). We can look forward to Rubicite in
the 30's, but rumor has it that Verant is making it so that Rangers can't
wear Rubi. Green splinted? Yeah right, if anyone ever finds a piece...

Rant:
We need armour. We are not casters, our buffs blow compared to casters who
use them primarily to protect them while they gate out. We are tanks, but
we can't wear tank armour. Monks get their AC from AGI and mobility (low
weight) and thats perfect. I'd love to see some armour thats not as good as
plate but is better than banded. I think it should be more roleplay suited
as well. An outdoors type wouldn't be caught dead sneaking around the woods
hunting deer with their bow in plate armour clanking like a washing machine
full of silverwear. Hardened leather armour, reinforced woven, drake scale
armour, something durable, protective, yet comes from nature. I'm not
saying make this ranger only either. As far as graphics, I don't mind a
leather look (please do something about the silly hats we femal half-elfs
have to wear. We look like something in Macy's reject bin) or even using an
existing look. Since green splinted doesn't exist on any PC other than GM's
but is still loaded into my memory, why don't you put that to use, or are ya
too vain =). Once again, make the armour NOT as good as plate, but better
than teen-banded.

Suggestions:
Ok, now that thats over, I'd like to hear some feedback on the Ranger
class. Anything I omited etc. Would adding the ability for a ranger to
wear real armour unbalance it? IE, why play a warrior when you can play a
Ranger?

Final Comments:
This is not a rant or a fix-my-charactor post. I love the ranger class
the way it is and won't be throwing a temper-tantrum and cancelling my
account if I don't get my way. I merely want to hear comments, rebuffs and
maybe give some tips on armor that is available after banded.

BlondeFury

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99

Von JC <vo...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Playing a Ranger was really fun, but now that I am level 24, I really
do
> see the limitations. Rangers need slightly better armor ( I like your
idea for
> a unique Ranger armor).
> We also shoult have a very limited teleport spell, just so we can
reach
> our guilds (being that there are only two of them in the whole game).
> Anyway, I still love playing my Ranger. I hope we get some little
> adjustments here and there also, just like the other classes.

Ah yes, the 'I'm in Guk and just hit 29, do I spend 2 hours going to
Surefall or 2 hours going to the
land-of-shouts-and-ooc's-in-the-overgrown-treefort-of-perpetual-newbie's-rai
ning-corpses-to-the-forrest-floor-below' debate. I'd buy a potion of
'Gate-to-somewhere-usefull" for 120pp easy.

Hell a Bind Affinity potion for 200pp would be well worth it. Cazic
springs to mind. Nothing like a 1 hour run naked to corpse to ruin a gaming
day.

Von JC

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99

CK

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Interested read that.

We may in practise be more physically inclined towards warriors but arnt we
half druids by ideal?

but druids get SoW EARLY, gate, bind, etc.

We get none of these, SoW at 39? Might as well not get it. Levitate at 39? -
fair enuff, but for gods sake, for travellers that have only 2 guild houses
in the whole of Norrath, you'd think we could get something more than
camoflauge to assist our travelling.
Oh and thats another thing... when Verant made invis flash for mages and
wizies b4 it went off, they forgot to do it for camo.

My plea, and it makes me sick every time a friend druid casts it on me, give
rangers SoW at an earlier level, and none of this `it'll unbalance the char'
rubbish.... , fine, ok, COMPROMISE.. invent a SoW-like spell that CANNOT be
used in combat.. either that or give us bind.
please

blyker

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
I love my ranger (lvl 23 now)

Only things i dont like at the moment:
1:SOW, we are woodland runners even more so than druides. Let them make it
so that we cant cast it on others at early levels wich i think is a good
compromise.

2: The availability of arrows... as far as i know now there are 3 places to
get them. Kelethin, Surefall glades, and just outside rivervale. I can not
understand that there are no arrows in te melting pot of cultures Freeport

3: I heard that mage types can summon arrows.... I would like to do a quest
or train on a mage school to be able to do that

These are the only thing i encountered so far i realy think are anoying (to
me hehe). I can understand that we cant bind from a roleplaying point of
view.

But what i do think is annoying is the time i sometimes have to beg and
plead in a city to get bound there. As there is obviously a market for that
what about a merchant in every city where you can get bound at (tavern would
be a good place)

Golodion
lvl 23 Wood Elf Ranger Innoruuk server

Richard Cortese

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
CK <Cyber...@btNOSPAMinternet.com> wrote in message
Travel isn't that bad, it just seems that bad which is close to the same
thing.

Timed the run from Freeport to Rivervale last night. With zoning I could do
it in 15 minutes: No SoW or any other speed enhancing juice.

I made the run 3 times, twice due to deaths, which means in a 4-5 hour
session I spent ~30 mins+ retrieving my corpse, this may be a bit to high a
percentage for some people too.

I really should have asked for a bind with the character, but this is one of
my 'always makes a bad choice' characters.

Joe Chung

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
1. IMHO, Druids and shaman get it too early, rangers get it too late.
2. You can make your own arrows if you practice fletching.
3. You can make your own arrows if you practice fletching.

I totally agree with you on binding. I would like to see the non-bindable
classes get the ability to do a "lesser bind affinity" that allows them to
bind to city zones only (akin to having bind cast on them by a caster) and
could only be cast once per game day (akin to lay hands for paladins or harm
touch for shadowknights) and only upon oneself.

Being a Ranger that frequently makes the trip across the Ocean of Tears, not
being able to bind is a royal PITA, especially since it can take as long as
half an hour to get bound in Freeport or Kelethin. Getting killed before
getting bound in the same continent as your corpse is the kind of mistake
you make only once.

blyker <bly...@astel.nl> wrote in message

blyker

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99

Joe Chung wrote in message <7nhv81$11...@enews2.newsguy.com>...

>1. IMHO, Druids and shaman get it too early, rangers get it too late.
>2. You can make your own arrows if you practice fletching.
>3. You can make your own arrows if you practice fletching.

I know about making the arrows, but i dont see any of the stuf to make the
arrows else then in the city's/places i mentioned.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
While we're doing that, why don't we just give rangers ALL the teleport
spells. Greater healing too, you can always use that. !!! Maybe we
could also give them an even better ranger only bow! Or more kickass
ranger only swords!!! Also, every ranger should be allowed to get
slam... that makes sense. Rangers are already overpowered as it is.

--
Rithal
Gnome Necromancer on Povar

James M. O'Hara

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Yes, giving them real armour would unbalance it. They're the only
hybrid class that gets dual wield/double attack, they don't get much
less hp than a warrior, they get all sorts of kickass spells (I
personally think the buffing ones work great) levitate, SoW, Wolf Form,
etc. Although I don't agree with making them lose rubicite... what are
rangers gonna do, wear banded at lvl 50? That doesnt work at all =\

BlondeFury wrote:

> Suggestions:
> Ok, now that thats over, I'd like to hear some feedback on the Ranger
> class. Anything I omited etc. Would adding the ability for a ranger to
> wear real armour unbalance it? IE, why play a warrior when you can play a
> Ranger?
>
> Final Comments:
> This is not a rant or a fix-my-charactor post. I love the ranger class
> the way it is and won't be throwing a temper-tantrum and cancelling my
> account if I don't get my way. I merely want to hear comments, rebuffs and
> maybe give some tips on armor that is available after banded.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Hey, if you wanted to become a vendor and summon stuff, you should've
been a magician :)

blyker wrote:

> I love my ranger (lvl 23 now)
>
> Only things i dont like at the moment:
> 1:SOW, we are woodland runners even more so than druides. Let them make it
> so that we cant cast it on others at early levels wich i think is a good
> compromise.
>
> 2: The availability of arrows... as far as i know now there are 3 places to
> get them. Kelethin, Surefall glades, and just outside rivervale. I can not
> understand that there are no arrows in te melting pot of cultures Freeport
>
> 3: I heard that mage types can summon arrows.... I would like to do a quest
> or train on a mage school to be able to do that
>
> These are the only thing i encountered so far i realy think are anoying (to
> me hehe). I can understand that we cant bind from a roleplaying point of
> view.
>
> But what i do think is annoying is the time i sometimes have to beg and
> plead in a city to get bound there. As there is obviously a market for that
> what about a merchant in every city where you can get bound at (tavern would
> be a good place)
>
> Golodion
> lvl 23 Wood Elf Ranger Innoruuk server

James M. O'Hara

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Hell I saw them in Oggok, heh

smiller

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
I can think of three different vendors in the plains of karanas who sell arrows,
one place in queynos, one in halas, one in grobb even. I'm sure there are even
more places if you actually look.

smiller

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
About armor: I wouldn't mind the lack of armor if at least our defensive skills
didn't max out sooner (riposte,parry,dodge) than the warrior. Though, I don't
know where a SK's and Paladins skills max. If they max at 150 as well at least
the hybrids are all in line. I do know, a pure warrior in plate is a much
better tank than me (a ranger) at 40. More hps and better ac and better
defensive values. He will only get better with the proposed changes. (Maybe I
should start a warrior =)

p.s. I don't know who started a rumor about verant making ruby unwearable by
rangers... but I wish people would stop perpetuating it, it ain't true. Of
course, if cazic-thule wasn't broken people might actually be able to obtain
some...

Joe Chung

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Here is what I do for making arrows. My Wood Elf Ranger adventures in
Antonica.

1. I come back to Kelethin to practice skills after leveling.
2. I buy enough materials to make 160 arrows.
3. While on the boat, I make arrows and put them in a backpack.
4. I hunt stuff in Antonica until I level again.
5. Repeat steps 1-4.

If it takes longer for me to level than to go through 160 arrows, then I
will probably buy another backpack and fill it up so that I have 320 arrows
instead. Making arrows and fletching in general is a tedious process, but
there is not much else you can do on the boat ride from Faydwer to Antonica
anyways. If you don't want to make the arrows yourself, shout out and ask
if anyone is selling arrows. You can get better prices (and arrows) than
what the NPCs charge. Better bows too, for that matter.

blyker <bly...@astel.nl> wrote in message

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:35:35 -0400, "Joe Chung" <jch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

|2. You can make your own arrows if you practice fletching.

Supplies for making arrows can be purchased in exactly two places:
Surefall Glade and Keletin. Supplies for making bows can be purchased in
those two places and the Centaur village in South Karanas.

(Before everyone starts chiming in with other would-be sites, there are
any number of vendors who have Fletching kits and nocks but no other supplies.
Utterly useless.)

That is *IT*. If you're in Freeport and you need Fletching supplies you
are SOL. If you are a member of an evil race you have some serious faction
building to do, or (most likely) you need to have a friend or mule shop for
you, and you still have to haul ass.

As a result, player-made arrows are not really any more available than
store-bought ones.

Dennis F. Heffernan EQ: Venture (E'ci) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"There's no easy way to be free."
-- Pete Townshend, "Slip Kid"

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:49:42 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
wrote:

|Yes, giving them real armour would unbalance it. They're the only
|hybrid class that gets dual wield/double attack, they don't get much
|less hp than a warrior, they get all sorts of kickass spells (I
|personally think the buffing ones work great)

Eh? Skin Like Wood is an L1 buff; think the L18 critters I'm fighting now
are impressed by it?

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:04:12 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
wrote:

|Hell I saw them in Oggok, heh

No, you didn't.

Or give me the /loc of the vendor and I'll make a character to go see for
myself.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:09:43 -0400, smiller <junk...@junk.com> wrote:

|I can think of three different vendors in the plains of karanas who sell arrows,
|one place in queynos, one in halas, one in grobb even. I'm sure there are even
|more places if you actually look.

Store-bought arrows are over twice the price of player-made ones; Archery
is a losing proposition cash-wise already.

SirTifiable

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99

Joe Chung wrote in message <7nhv81$11...@enews2.newsguy.com>...
>1. IMHO, Druids and shaman get it too early, rangers get it too late.
>2. You can make your own arrows if you practice fletching.
>3. You can make your own arrows if you practice fletching.
>
>I totally agree with you on binding. I would like to see the non-bindable
>classes get the ability to do a "lesser bind affinity" that allows them to
>bind to city zones only (akin to having bind cast on them by a caster) and
>could only be cast once per game day (akin to lay hands for paladins or
harm
>touch for shadowknights) and only upon oneself.
>
>Being a Ranger that frequently makes the trip across the Ocean of Tears,
not
>being able to bind is a royal PITA, especially since it can take as long as
>half an hour to get bound in Freeport or Kelethin. Getting killed before
>getting bound in the same continent as your corpse is the kind of mistake
>you make only once.
>
>blyker <bly...@astel.nl> wrote in message

>> I love my ranger (lvl 23 now)

-snip

Afaik there are only three places you can get all the parts to make arrows.
Kelethin, Surfall glades, and I heard a merchant in the centaur village.
But there are other places to buy arrows, one of the inns near Freeport and
Qeynos iirc, there may be others as well.

I agree with you about binding, there should be a NPC binding in all cities
for a fee, with casters being able to bind any one any where. But rework
the spell so that binding uses a yes/no check box similar to resurrect, I am
sure the constant grouping and ungrouping is driving the casters crazy (I
don't play a char capable of binding yet so I cant speak from experience,
but it seems like a safe assumption).

SirTifiable
"of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"

Quantum

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
>My plea, and it makes me sick every time a friend druid casts it on me,

so you don't want me to cast it on you ever again? :))

> give
>rangers SoW at an earlier level, and none of this `it'll unbalance the char'
>rubbish.... , fine, ok, COMPROMISE.. invent a SoW-like spell that CANNOT be
>used in combat.. either that or give us bind.
>please

Biggest advantage I saw of hunting with you over hunting with another
tank type was track. I know I get track at 20 but up until that point
Rangers have a unique skill that makes prey selection really easy.
Nothing like running round North Ro hunting mummies/scarabs and madmen
with ease. After each kill - straight to the next one - no running round
in circles :)

And don't forget the advantage of conning amiable or indifferent to
wolves/bears etc that other characters get attacked by on a regular
basis.

However i must agree that 39 seems more that a bit steep :)
--

Daggeniel lvl 15 Druid

Growing old is mandatory;
growing up is optional.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Skin Like Wood, you get at lvl 9. You shouldn't be fighting lvl 18 guys
at lvl 9. What about skin like rock? My ranger friend has it and it
kicks ass.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Don't tell me what a I saw or didn't see. Wtf is that? It's at a
merchant before the path to the shadowknight guild. Now don't ever try
and tell me again what the fuck I saw and what I didn't see.

Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:04:12 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
> wrote:
>
> |Hell I saw them in Oggok, heh
>
> No, you didn't.
>
> Or give me the /loc of the vendor and I'll make a character to go see for
> myself.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:56:40 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
wrote:

|Skin Like Wood, you get at lvl 9. You shouldn't be fighting lvl 18 guys

|at lvl 9. What about skin like rock? My ranger friend has it and it
|kicks ass.

You don't GET Skin Like Rock at L9; you get Skin Like Wood.

You don't get Skin Like Rock at L18, either.

You get it at level THIRTY.

Now go look at what level the Druid gets it at. Yes, that's right, L14.

Now, how impressed will the mobs I'm fighting at L30 be with my L14 buff?

BlondeFury

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
James M. O'Hara <james...@home.com> wrote in message

> Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:56:40 GMT, "James M. O'Hara"
<james...@home.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > You don't GET Skin Like Rock at L9; you get Skin Like Wood.
> That's what I said.

> > You don't get Skin Like Rock at L18, either.
> Never said that.

> > You get it at level THIRTY.
> >
> > Now go look at what level the Druid gets it at. Yes, that's
right, L14.

> > Now, how impressed will the mobs I'm fighting at L30 be with my
L14 buff?
> Hey if you wanted to have badass buffs and be a superb spellcaster then
> maybe you should've been a DRUID instead of a ranger.

> > Dennis F. Heffernan EQ: Venture (E'ci)
dfra...@email.com
> > Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048
CompSci/Philosophy
> > "There's no easy way to be free."
> > -- Pete Townshend, "Slip
Kid"

> --
> Rithal
> Gnome Necromancer on Povar

*TWEEET* Time out!

I just wanna step in before this goes nuts as usual. He was making
reference to the fact that since our buffs suck for our level, that we need
better armour than banded. Ok, so we have almost as much HP as warriors,
but then compare AC:
750AC Warrior with 710 HP
435AC Ranger with 631HP (with buffs)

Eh? I get the crap beat outta me constantly. I have to let the warrior dug
in for a bit before I can even come close to baddie. If theres no warrior,
then I have to have a dedicated cleric all to myself. (which sucks because
the mob goes aggro on the cleric and she has 701AC and 553HP, she makes a
better tank than I. Sad huh.)

(btw, these are actual numbers from my 'group')

Keith

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
maybe make it a "cast on self" only spell. or make it like the sneak
skill, click on the button, if you are successful you run faster
otherwise, you have to wait 2 or 3 minutes to try again.

CK wrote:

> Interested read that.
>
> We may in practise be more physically inclined towards warriors but arnt we
> half druids by ideal?
>
> but druids get SoW EARLY, gate, bind, etc.
>
> We get none of these, SoW at 39? Might as well not get it. Levitate at 39? -
> fair enuff, but for gods sake, for travellers that have only 2 guild houses
> in the whole of Norrath, you'd think we could get something more than
> camoflauge to assist our travelling.
> Oh and thats another thing... when Verant made invis flash for mages and
> wizies b4 it went off, they forgot to do it for camo.
>

> My plea, and it makes me sick every time a friend druid casts it on me, give

Keith

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
actually, we get skin like rock at lev 22. Still about 3 levs to late
for my taste. I am lev 19 now, right now it would be a nice buff, at
level 22 it will slightly useful.

Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:56:40 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
> wrote:
>

> |Skin Like Wood, you get at lvl 9. You shouldn't be fighting lvl 18 guys
> |at lvl 9. What about skin like rock? My ranger friend has it and it
> |kicks ass.
>

> You don't GET Skin Like Rock at L9; you get Skin Like Wood.
>

> You don't get Skin Like Rock at L18, either.
>

> You get it at level THIRTY.
>
> Now go look at what level the Druid gets it at. Yes, that's right, L14.
>
> Now, how impressed will the mobs I'm fighting at L30 be with my L14 buff?

James M. O'Hara

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99

James M. O'Hara

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
Ok I just checked again, it was in Grobb, not Oggok- I get the two mixed
up cuz I don't play many characters there. Outside the shop that has
leather and plate, before the sk guild, there's a merchant that sells
some fletching stuff

Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:

> No, you didn't.
>
> Or give me the /loc of the vendor and I'll make a character to go see for
> myself.

drocket

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:53:53 GMT, "James M. O'Hara"
<james...@home.com> wrote:

>While we're doing that, why don't we just give rangers ALL the teleport
>spells. Greater healing too, you can always use that. !!! Maybe we
>could also give them an even better ranger only bow! Or more kickass
>ranger only swords!!! Also, every ranger should be allowed to get
>slam... that makes sense. Rangers are already overpowered as it is.

They're only overpowered when you compare them to the other melee
classes. That's because the other melee classes truely suck, whereas
the ranger class is only moderately sucky compared to the
spellcasters.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
Well you can get rubi eventually. I'm currently playing a ranger, and
my ranger friend hasn't had any real problems playing, since he's very
good in a group and now he has SOME rubi (can't get any more since it's
been taken out)

BlondeFury wrote:

> *TWEEET* Time out!
>
> I just wanna step in before this goes nuts as usual. He was making
> reference to the fact that since our buffs suck for our level, that we need
> better armour than banded. Ok, so we have almost as much HP as warriors,
> but then compare AC:
> 750AC Warrior with 710 HP
> 435AC Ranger with 631HP (with buffs)
>
> Eh? I get the crap beat outta me constantly. I have to let the warrior dug
> in for a bit before I can even come close to baddie. If theres no warrior,
> then I have to have a dedicated cleric all to myself. (which sucks because
> the mob goes aggro on the cleric and she has 701AC and 553HP, she makes a
> better tank than I. Sad huh.)
>
> (btw, these are actual numbers from my 'group')

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:29:35 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
wrote:

|Hey if you wanted to have badass buffs and be a superb spellcaster then

|maybe you should've been a DRUID instead of a ranger.

Never said that I did; you (or whichever moron) said Rangers have great
buffs. I'm just pointing out that we have great buffs only from the
perspective of characters that get them a whole lot earlier than we do.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
Then we have to get the other classes up to par with rangers before we
make rangers better :)

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:43:18 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
wrote:

|Ok I just checked again, it was in Grobb, not Oggok- I get the two mixed

|up cuz I don't play many characters there. Outside the shop that has
|leather and plate, before the sk guild, there's a merchant that sells
|some fletching stuff

I'm going to look, and I'll bet he has fletching kits, three types of
nocks, and nothing else.

Vendors like that are all over the place, and they're totally useless.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:49:54 -0700, "BlondeFury" <blond...@omg-wtf.com>
wrote:

|I just wanna step in before this goes nuts as usual. He was making
|reference to the fact that since our buffs suck for our level, that we need
|better armour than banded.

And I'm wearing worse -- I'm wearing black iron 'coz it's the only thing
I've found so far that looks halfway decent.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
No, I didn't say that. You know... ranger spells are not supposed to be
amazing for their level, or that would make them pretty overpowered. If
you want buffs, then join a group (which you should be having to do at
lvl 18) and have your cleric give you buffs... the ranger spells should
be considered little extra tools, like some small extra buffs, spells to
pull enemies, or things like levitate and SoW.

James M. O'Hara

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
Well, you can buy arrows :D

Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:43:18 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
> wrote:
>
> |Ok I just checked again, it was in Grobb, not Oggok- I get the two mixed
> |up cuz I don't play many characters there. Outside the shop that has
> |leather and plate, before the sk guild, there's a merchant that sells
> |some fletching stuff
>
> I'm going to look, and I'll bet he has fletching kits, three types of
> nocks, and nothing else.
>
> Vendors like that are all over the place, and they're totally useless.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:56:36 GMT, dfra...@email.com (Dennis Francis
Heffernan) wrote:

|On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:43:18 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
|wrote:
|
||Ok I just checked again, it was in Grobb, not Oggok- I get the two mixed
||up cuz I don't play many characters there. Outside the shop that has
||leather and plate, before the sk guild, there's a merchant that sells
||some fletching stuff
|
| I'm going to look, and I'll bet he has fletching kits, three types of
|nocks, and nothing else.
|
| Vendors like that are all over the place, and they're totally useless.

And having created a Troll and looked, I found precisely that. Fletching
kits and nocks; no bowstaves, no strings, no tools, no shafts, no points, no
fletches or vanes.

Useless.

But he will sell you basic (overpriced) arrows and (POS) bows.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:58:52 GMT, "James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com>
wrote:

|No, I didn't say that. You know... ranger spells are not supposed to be

|amazing for their level, or that would make them pretty overpowered.

I don't expect amazing; noticeable would be nice though.

|you want buffs, then join a group (which you should be having to do at
|lvl 18) and have your cleric give you buffs... the ranger spells should

Nope, still soloing and showing no signs of stopping in the near future.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:16:00 -0500, Keith <omega...@ameritech.net> wrote:

|actually, we get skin like rock at lev 22. Still about 3 levs to late
|for my taste. I am lev 19 now, right now it would be a nice buff, at
|level 22 it will slightly useful.

Yep, got it confused with Strength of Earth.

Ewen

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99

Ewen wrote in message ...
:
:James M. O'Hara wrote in message <379CE7BF...@home.com>...
::Skin Like Wood, you get at lvl 9. You shouldn't be fighting lvl 18 guys

::at lvl 9. What about skin like rock? My ranger friend has it and it
::kicks ass.
:<snip>
:
:The point he is trying to make is, that Skin Like Wood is a
:Level ( 1 ) spell, Rangers don't get that spell till Level ( 9 ).
:A ranger at Level ( 18 / 20/ 25/ whatever,) still only has the
:Level ( 1 ) Skin Like Wood spell. His level has nothing to
:do with the level of the mob his fighting. His talking about
:the spells.

<snip> I made the same mistake as as Dennis, but it still
does not change the fact that Wood Skin is a L ( 1 ) spell.
And that Rangers have to use it all the way up to L ( 22 )
when they get the ( 14 ) level spell.

Morgan

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
BlondeFury wrote:

> *TWEEET* Time out!
>

> I just wanna step in before this goes nuts as usual. He was making
> reference to the fact that since our buffs suck for our level, that we need

> better armour than banded. Ok, so we have almost as much HP as warriors,
> but then compare AC:
> 750AC Warrior with 710 HP
> 435AC Ranger with 631HP (with buffs)
>
> Eh? I get the crap beat outta me constantly. I have to let the warrior dug
> in for a bit before I can even come close to baddie. If theres no warrior,
> then I have to have a dedicated cleric all to myself. (which sucks because
> the mob goes aggro on the cleric and she has 701AC and 553HP, she makes a
> better tank than I. Sad huh.)
>
> (btw, these are actual numbers from my 'group')

What kind of cleric doesn't keep their best buffs on the
tanks at all times? Or is that with the cleric's buffs?

--
Morgan

UG

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
"James M. O'Hara" <james...@home.com> writes:

> Don't tell me what a I saw or didn't see. Wtf is that? It's at a
> merchant before the path to the shadowknight guild. Now don't ever try
> and tell me again what the fuck I saw and what I didn't see.

Looks to me that he not only tried, but succeeded.

Lighten up big boy.

CK

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99

Joe Chung <jch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> 1. IMHO, Druids and shaman get it too early, rangers get it too late.

One word spring to mind, well.. 3

SoW

CK

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99

> Hey, if you wanted to become a vendor and summon stuff, you should've
> been a magician :)

Hey, why don't you try being constructive instead of taking the piss?

CK

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
I wish Verant were reading this

Keith <omega...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

The Uncarved Stone

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
I have never played a ranger, but as far as the SoW topic goes, I think that
characters of this class should be inherently faster than other chars.

Zealya

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
wrong

Ewen

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99

The Uncarved Stone wrote in message ...
:I have never played a ranger, but as far as the SoW topic goes, I think that

:characters of this class should be inherently faster than other chars.
:
Agreed.

Mike Wilson, UCE Account

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
CK <Cyber...@btNOSPAMinternet.com> wrote:
> Oh and thats another thing... when Verant made invis flash for mages and
> wizies b4 it went off, they forgot to do it for camo.

Doesn't do that for me and I'm one of those wizzi's.

--
---
Mike Wilson, http://www.drwho.org http://www.pobox.com/~mwilson

Hunter Godfrey

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
smiller <junk...@junk.com> wrote in message
> About armor: I wouldn't mind the lack of armor if at least our defensive
skills
> didn't max out sooner (riposte,parry,dodge) than the warrior. Though, I
don't
> know where a SK's and Paladins skills max. If they max at 150 as well at
least
> the hybrids are all in line. I do know, a pure warrior in plate is a much
> better tank than me (a ranger) at 40. More hps and better ac and better
> defensive values. He will only get better with the proposed changes.
(Maybe I
> should start a warrior =)

Doh I didn't realize that those maxxed at 150...grrrrrrr.

> p.s. I don't know who started a rumor about verant making ruby unwearable
by
> rangers... but I wish people would stop perpetuating it, it ain't true.
Of
> course, if cazic-thule wasn't broken people might actually be able to
obtain
> some...

I thought that was confirmed...how is CT broken? you talking about the Zone
or the server?

Aemon Shadohunter
Ranger of Cazic Thule

--
Hunter Godfrey
hunt...@earthlink.com

TurnipFarm

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:54:49 GMT, "James M. O'Hara"
<james...@home.com> wrote:

>Well you can get rubi eventually. I'm currently playing a ranger, and
>my ranger friend hasn't had any real problems playing, since he's very
>good in a group and now he has SOME rubi (can't get any more since it's
>been taken out)

I just think it funny that the warrior only armor can be found as a
quest that I a level 30 rangers can finish while the ranger only armor
comes from fear plane. Rubi isn't all that good. It looks cool but
other than the chest i don't think it's all that good... There are
easier items rangers can find. And don't get me started on spell.
***Sig starts here***

If you have any comments or requests, post them in
alt.binaries.multimedia.erotica.d.

Here are my latest captures. I would have posted them earlier but my server
wasn't letting anything through. I changed servers. If you like what you see help me pay for my
new server connection please go to http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/micro/904/
and check out my sponsor banners. I'm eventually gonna have a page with all
my previews of all my posts with an e-mail address to contact me for certain
reposts.
Thanks,
Turnip

TurnipFarm

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
I have just one thing to ask concerning the ranger vs bard vs warrior
vs cleric vs druid vs paladin vs anyone topic.

What do RANGERS get over any other class?

What???

In battle rangers can't do anything that another class can't do
better...

Clerics get healing
Paladins get the GB (nuff said) not to mention lay hands
Shadowknights get Harm Touch
Bards get songs (and can wear plate which makes no sense)
Druids get greater healing and attack power
Warriors get critical hit and major armor AC/HPs
... oh yeah
Rangers get tracking (which druids get also)
Shamans have more HPs than rangers at higher levels
Wizards cast
Enchanters weaken and strengthen and cast
Magicians summon and cast.

We are mediocre in everything making us one of the weakest classes in
that we can't specialize in anything... If I could find a zone that
relied on me finding a MoB and killing it that would be great...

Sure we get good spells... But they're all out door related.

My best spell Harmony was usless tonight when I went to permafrost.
We get SoW at 39 yet at level 39 all the dungeons we need to go to are
indoor... NONE of the good ranger spells are indoor. Making them
useless...

I can only hope that verant gets a clue and makes us better arhers...
God knows they didnt need to make casters "specialize" yet they did.

Imagine being able to "specialize" in such arhery skills as
Arrow recovery
Accuracy
Speed

Why isnt bow damage just like the sword damage? God know they let
druids kite and wizards too...