The *real* corpse decay times

Dan Day

Feb 14, 2002, 6:28:58 AM2/14/02
Now that the game will display corpse rez
and decay timers if you /con a corpse, I was
able to finally settle the issue of exactly
how long player corpses of different levels last...

The manual claims (for decay times): 30 minutes if
the corpse is level 1-5, or 24 hours online/7 days offline.

As is often the case, the manual is wrong. Here
are the results of my actual tests:

Level 1 PC: 30 minutes to rez, 30 minutes to decay.
Level 2 PC: 2 hours to rez, 2 hours to decay.
Level 3 PC: 2 hours to rez, 2 hours to decay.
Level 4 PC: 2 hours to rez, 2 hours to decay.
Level 5 PC: 3 hours to rez, 7 days to decay.
Above level 5: Same as 5 (3h/7d).

So the manual was right only for level 1, and wrong
for levels 2-5.

The easy rule of thumb is: Decay is 30 minutes for
level 1, 2 hours for 2-4, 7 days for 5 and above.
Rez timer is a flat 3 hours, or until the corpse decays,
whichever comes first.

(Yes, it's possible that they altered the decay times
for level 2-5 corpses in this recent patch, as long
as they were fiddling with the decay/rez display, and
changing high-level corpse decay times to be a flat
7 days instead of a mix of 24h/7d, but the 2 hour
figure fits well with my prior tests and experiences
for low-level corpses.)

Note that the patch message is a bit wrong too -- it
says that the decay timer for corpses "over level 5"
is now a flat seven days. However, in truth that's
the case for corpses "level 5 or over" (or if you prefer,
"over level 4"), not strictly "over level 5".

Additional fun with the decay/rez timer display:

1. As my previous tests had indicated, *mob* corpse decay
times are 8 minutes if the corpse has any loot, 30 seconds
if it doesn't. (I didn't have access to any 55+ mob
corpses, which are coded to last longer.)

2. Since mob corpses go to "general loot" after two minutes,
you can now /con a corpse which someone else has killed
and abandoned, and not bother attempting to loot it
until the decay timer hits 6 minutes or less. It used
to be annoying wondering how long you'd have to wait,
now you'll know.

3. As previously suspected, the rez timer halts *completely*
when you're offline. I did tests across two hours,
and checked the timers of several player corpses which
were lying around. Across two hours, the corpses of
people who were offline had "frozen" rez timers, which
did not change by even a second over two hours, even
though their decay timers continued to tick away.

4. Note: The decay timer, at least, is not entirely
in synch with the actual "poof time" of the corpse.
Several mob corpses stuck around for up to 10 seconds
after their displayed decay timer had already counted
down to zero (and beyond!). In fact, here's a section of
my log as I frequently /conned a mob corpse that was counting
down to poofage:

This corpse will decay in 0 minute(s) 05 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 0 minute(s) 04 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 0 minute(s) 03 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 0 minute(s) 02 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 0 minute(s) 01 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 0 minute(s) 00 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 15 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 14 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 13 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 12 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 11 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 10 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 09 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 08 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 07 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 06 seconds..
Consider whom?
You no longer have a target.

What's wrong with this picture? :-)

As a programmer, I had assumed that "1193046" was going to
be "-1" in some number of bits, wrongly converted to an unsigned
integer, but it's not. The really strange thing is that it
turns out to be "123456(hexadecimal)" -- that's bizarre.

5. While traipsing around Greater Faydark, I found a PC corpse
that conned thusly:

This corpse is too old to be resurrected.
This corpse will decay in 151 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 09 seconds..

Umm... "151 hours"? Why wasn't that converted to "6 days,
7 hours"? I have no idea -- all other corpses I checked displayed
in days/hours format when appropriate. On the other hand, it
was the only corpse I had discovered which was "too old to be
resurrected", maybe that had something to do with it.

6. There was a thread on this newsgroup a few weeks ago
in which many people asserted that the rez timer for corpses
killed in /duels with other players was only 10 minutes (or
so). I stated that in my experience, it was far longer than
that. Well, I found cooperative players and /dueled my
test characters to death, and the displayed rez timers for
each one were *identical* to the times listed above (which
were produced by attacking guards to cause death) -- even
for the 5+ characters, wherein a /dueled death produced a
corpse that indicated a full 3-hour rez time.

So... Either /dueled corpses actually do have a full 3-hour
rez timer, or:
a) the 10-minute limit is only for much higher level
corpses than I had tested, or
b) the 10-minute limit is only for /dueled corpses
in dungeons (or perhaps indoor zones) -- my tests
were done in N.FP, W.FP, and GFay.
c) the /con rez indicator is wrong.

Further testing may be required. But so far, the results
match my own experience with /dueled corpses, which is that
they don't have extremely short rez timers.

7. Here's the /con of a totally naked (no items, no coin)
corpse I had just produced from a level 5 character:

This corpse's resurrection time will expire in 2 hour(s)
59 minute(s) 16 seconds..
This corpse will decay in 6 day(s) 23 hour(s)
59 minute(s) 16 seconds..

The odd thing is that naked corpses, even high-level ones,
poof as soon as the rez timer runs out (because there's
nothing "left" on the corpse worth recovering any longer).
And yet, this /con shows that the naked corpse would last
for a full 7 days.

This is probably just a display bug, I'm sure that the
server will clean up the corpse as soon as its rez timer
expires and it sees that there are no items/coins on the
corpse. But the misleading display for the decay time is
annoying.

Rhand Kinslayer

Feb 14, 2002, 7:07:17 AM2/14/02

"Dan Day" <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message
<snip>

Good info there. Thanks for sharing.

Rhand Kinslayer

Carolynn's Mom

Feb 14, 2002, 7:36:56 AM2/14/02

"Dan Day" <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message

> 5. While traipsing around Greater Faydark, I found a PC corpse

> that conned thusly:
>
> This corpse is too old to be resurrected.
> This corpse will decay in 151 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 09 seconds..
>
> Umm... "151 hours"? Why wasn't that converted to "6 days,
> 7 hours"? I have no idea -- all other corpses I checked displayed
> in days/hours format when appropriate. On the other hand, it
> was the only corpse I had discovered which was "too old to be
> resurrected", maybe that had something to do with it.

While I was not nearly as thorough as you, I did run around and con corpses
here and there... and I too came across a corpse with a similar con. The
rez timer was done, and the rest of it was given in hours.

I'm not sure whether to applaud your efforts in testing this new thing or to
tell you to get some sunlight... ;o) (kidding)

Thanks for the informative post!

--
*Corianne Glimmerblade (Half-Elf Ranger of 28 Seasons)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=90098

http://www.geocities.com/stingersjoolz/carolynn.html
Carolynn's Place!

Joe Bott

Feb 14, 2002, 9:36:22 AM2/14/02

Dan Day <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message
> Now that the game will display corpse rez
> and decay timers if you /con a corpse, I was
> able to finally settle the issue of exactly
> how long player corpses of different levels last...

<snip>

Woo, nice info. I'm still worried why my corpse said I had 167 hours left to
find a res... I havent had time to stay logged in more than 10 minutes since
the patch, I hope my res timer doesnt do something weird and I lose that xp.
That'd make me sad.

Joe

wolfie

Feb 14, 2002, 9:03:48 AM2/14/02

"Dan Day" wrote

As a tech lead I had assumed a programmer would know that
computers know diddly-squat (sorry for the technical term for
all you non-techies) about hours or even minutes. I'd suggest
the obvious course is to convert to the base unit (seconds) and
look at the number in a format the computer can recognize
(hexadecimal). If I'd have to say de word (heh-heh), I'd say you
made a bizarre assumption for a programmer to make. ;)

(If I was on their engineering team, I'd have a bit somewhere that
tells the server when to remove the corpse. Running a timer and
then setting that bit would be all that would have been required
before they made the information public. With a bit flag set, a
corpse removal routine could run only at certain ticks, reducing
the load on the server. The "bad" message would be an artifact
of just such a system.)

Christophe Kiciak

Feb 14, 2002, 9:57:30 AM2/14/02

>> This corpse will decay in 1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 15

>> As a programmer, I had assumed that "1193046" was going to
>> be "-1" in some number of bits, wrongly converted to an unsigned
>> integer, but it's not. The really strange thing is that it
>> turns out to be "123456(hexadecimal)" -- that's bizarre.
>>

> As a tech lead I had assumed a programmer would know that
> computers know diddly-squat (sorry for the technical term for
> all you non-techies) about hours or even minutes. I'd suggest
> the obvious course is to convert to the base unit (seconds) and
> look at the number in a format the computer can recognize
> (hexadecimal).

Right.
1193046*60*60 + 28*60 + 15 = 4294967295

and of course 2^32 - 1 = 4294967295 = 0xFFFFFFFF

Handy Solo

Feb 14, 2002, 10:52:24 AM2/14/02

appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to get a
kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as 0xDEAD
BEEF.

Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was
fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).

--
Darkensolo Lightenhealer- 41st Dwarven Cleric
Lizsolo Spiritmaster - 25th Barbie BeastLord

Richard

Feb 14, 2002, 11:20:56 AM2/14/02
"Dan Day" <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message
<snip>

<snip>

1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 15 seconds is the same as 4294967295 seconds,
which is the unsigned equivalent of -1 for a 4 byte integer.

(1193046*60+28)*60+15=4294967295

And you call yourself a programmer. :)

--
Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Shaman of 48 seasons, Erollisi Marr <The
Appointed>

Morelyn

Feb 14, 2002, 12:05:04 PM2/14/02
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:52:24 GMT, Handy Solo <handy...@pobox.com>
wrote:

>Christophe Kiciak <ckic...@cf6DOT.com> allegedly wrote:
>

>> Right.
>> 1193046*60*60 + 28*60 + 15 = 4294967295
>>
>> and of course 2^32 - 1 = 4294967295 = 0xFFFFFFFF
>
>appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to get a
>kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as 0xDEAD
>BEEF.
>
>Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was
>fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).

vi... <shudder>

Zymyool

Feb 14, 2002, 12:35:22 PM2/14/02
Handy Solo <handy...@pobox.com> wrote in

> appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to get a
> kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as 0xDEAD
> BEEF.
> Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was
> fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).

Wow, I'm a real man! Well, I knew that, but I never based it on my editor
choice =) I should take the time to learn emacs, I think. People used to
talk about it like it's the second coming.

I kinda miss LSE, though, but I'm not programming on Government VAXs
anymore.

--
Draglorvin 45th lvl Dwarven Warrior ( Slaying in CoM )
Zymyool 37th lvl Gnomish Chanter ( Where to go now? )

Jeremiah Kristal

Feb 14, 2002, 12:44:34 PM2/14/02
Handy Solo <handy...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Right.
>> 1193046*60*60 + 28*60 + 15 = 4294967295
>>
>> and of course 2^32 - 1 = 4294967295 = 0xFFFFFFFF

> appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to get a
> kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as 0xDEAD
> BEEF.

> Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was
> fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).

I thought real men *still* used vi to write code. Hell, I don't even
code and I use vi for most of my text editing. Masochists use emacs. :)

Arolpin
who still messes up with tin after 7+ years

Lokari

Feb 14, 2002, 1:25:07 PM2/14/02
"Carolynn's Mom" <caroly...@chartermi.net> wrote:

>I'm not sure whether to applaud your efforts in testing this new thing or to
>tell you to get some sunlight... ;o) (kidding)

Dan would burst into flame if he got stepped into sunlight. That's why
he's so valuable around here.

--

www.lokari.net

Richard

Feb 14, 2002, 1:37:15 PM2/14/02
"Handy Solo" <handy...@pobox.com> wrote in message

> > > As a tech lead I had assumed a programmer would know that
> > > computers know diddly-squat (sorry for the technical term for
> > > all you non-techies) about hours or even minutes. I'd suggest
> > > the obvious course is to convert to the base unit (seconds) and
> > > look at the number in a format the computer can recognize
> > > (hexadecimal).
> >

> > Right.
> > 1193046*60*60 + 28*60 + 15 = 4294967295
> >
> > and of course 2^32 - 1 = 4294967295 = 0xFFFFFFFF
>
> appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to get a
> kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as 0xDEAD
> BEEF.
>
> Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was
> fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).

No real man ever used vi.

Richard

Feb 14, 2002, 1:39:02 PM2/14/02
"Jeremiah Kristal" <jere...@shell.inch.com> wrote in message

You heathen. Maybe coders used vi, but not real men.

Hippie Ramone

Feb 14, 2002, 2:17:09 PM2/14/02
Handy Solo <handy...@pobox.com> wrote:
: Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was

: fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).

Bah, real men used cat > filename to write code. :)

Zymyool

Feb 14, 2002, 3:19:13 PM2/14/02
Hippie Ramone <kde...@brand.scrye.com> wrote in

I used "copy con" the other day to whip out a quick autoexec for a guy. He
laughed quite hard when I told him I used to use that a lot in the -early-
DOS days.

Then I told him to try coding assembler in Wylbur. His reply:

"You mean, like, you did assembler on a mainframe in a line editor?" Uh,
yeah. At least it wasn't punchcards.

I wonder how many people have killed themselves after tripping and dropping
non-rubberbanded final projects in punchcard form.

fiddledy styx

Feb 14, 2002, 3:38:57 PM2/14/02

"Dan Day" <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message
> Umm... "151 hours"? Why wasn't that converted to "6 days,
> 7 hours"?

It could be worse. It might have said "This corpse will decay in 54360
seconds."

m0oni

Feb 14, 2002, 3:39:03 PM2/14/02
"Richard" <richar...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> "Jeremiah Kristal" <jere...@shell.inch.com> wrote in message

> > > appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to
get a
> > > kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as
0xDEAD
> > > BEEF.
> >
> > > Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX
was
> > > fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).
> >
> > I thought real men *still* used vi to write code. Hell, I don't
even
> > code and I use vi for most of my text editing. Masochists use
emacs. :)

> > Arolpin
> > who still messes up with tin after 7+ years
>
> You heathen. Maybe coders used vi, but not real men.

What do real men use? ed?

I wonder how bad my carpals would be without vi..

Handy Solo

Feb 14, 2002, 4:14:22 PM2/14/02
Jeremiah Kristal <jere...@shell.inch.com> allegedly wrote:

> Handy Solo <handy...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >> Right.
> >> 1193046*60*60 + 28*60 + 15 = 4294967295
> >>
> >> and of course 2^32 - 1 = 4294967295 = 0xFFFFFFFF
>
> > appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to get a
> > kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as 0xDEAD
> > BEEF.
>
> > Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was
> > fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).
>
> I thought real men *still* used vi to write code.

We do! But I personally have migrated to vile (vi like emacs) and
love it. Get some buffering and windowing stuff going on, but all the
'finger-feel' of good ol' vi.

> Hell, I don't even
> code and I use vi for most of my text editing. Masochists use emacs. :)

Dan Day

Feb 14, 2002, 4:17:26 PM2/14/02
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:03:48 GMT, "wolfie" <BGBD...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>> As a programmer, I had assumed that "1193046" was going to
>> be "-1" in some number of bits, wrongly converted to an unsigned
>> integer, but it's not. The really strange thing is that it
>> turns out to be "123456(hexadecimal)" -- that's bizarre.
>
>As a tech lead I had assumed a programmer would know that
>computers know diddly-squat (sorry for the technical term for
>all you non-techies) about hours or even minutes. I'd suggest
>the obvious course is to convert to the base unit (seconds) and
>look at the number in a format the computer can recognize
>(hexadecimal). If I'd have to say de word (heh-heh), I'd say you
>made a bizarre assumption for a programmer to make. ;)

*smacks forehead*

Yeah, and since I've coded countless time/date storage
and conversion routines through the years, and actually
knew that already, my only defense is that it was
5:30 in the morning, after a 17-hour session of heavy
coding had already fried my brain.

Doh!

But you have to admit that the "123456 hex" is an
amazing coincidence. :-)

Dan Day

Feb 14, 2002, 4:18:14 PM2/14/02
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:20:56 -0700, "Richard" <richar...@netscape.net> wrote:

>1193046 hour(s) 28 minute(s) 15 seconds is the same as 4294967295 seconds,
>which is the unsigned equivalent of -1 for a 4 byte integer.
>
>(1193046*60+28)*60+15=4294967295
>
>And you call yourself a programmer. :)

/hangs head in shame.

David Navarro

Feb 14, 2002, 4:17:13 PM2/14/02
Handy Solo wrote:

>> I thought real men *still* used vi to write code.
>
> We do! But I personally have migrated to vile (vi like emacs) and
> love it. Get some buffering and windowing stuff going on, but all the
> 'finger-feel' of good ol' vi.
>
>> Hell, I don't even
>> code and I use vi for most of my text editing. Masochists use emacs.
>> :)

I'm a gimp. I tried vi, and was sent screaming back to pico.

--
Hanrahan Thornhide, Human Druid, 40 - Fennin Ro
Parsifal, Human Bard, 18 - Fennin Ro

Dan Day

Feb 14, 2002, 4:23:46 PM2/14/02
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:52:24 GMT, Handy Solo <handy...@pobox.com> wrote:

>appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to get a
>kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as 0xDEAD
>BEEF.

I loved that. Who knew that *anyone* at IBM had a sense of
humor?

>Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was
>fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).

What do you mean? I *still* code in vi...

Well, at least I do when the Visual C++ editor doesn't provide
search or replacement features powerful enough for the
"power editing" I like to do.

Dan Harmon

Feb 14, 2002, 4:51:24 PM2/14/02

"Christophe Kiciak" <ckic...@cf6DOT.com> wrote in message

> Right.
> 1193046*60*60 + 28*60 + 15 = 4294967295
>
> and of course 2^32 - 1 = 4294967295 = 0xFFFFFFFF

My head hurts

Joe D

Feb 14, 2002, 4:55:39 PM2/14/02
Handy Solo <handy...@pobox.com> wrote:
> appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to get a
> kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as 0xDEAD
> BEEF.

My first EQ character was a Barbarian Warrior named Oxdeadbeef.

Joe D
--
This is not an old sig.

Handy Solo

Feb 14, 2002, 5:04:27 PM2/14/02
Joe D <jo...@cws.org> allegedly wrote:

> Handy Solo <handy...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > appropo of nothing really, but as a former programmer, I used to get a
> > kick out of unitialized vars showing up in the debugger as 0xDEAD
> > BEEF.
>
> My first EQ character was a Barbarian Warrior named Oxdeadbeef.

(ok, I usually hate one word replies, but...)

ROFL! Sweet!

(there, 2 words. I don't feel quite so lame.)

Ray Rocker

Feb 14, 2002, 5:35:24 PM2/14/02
In article <a4h79...@enews3.newsguy.com>, m0oni <sp...@unl33t.org> wrote:
>"Richard" <richar...@netscape.net> wrote in message
>What do real men use? ed?

cat.

--
Ray Rocker
roc...@datasync.com

Anon

Feb 14, 2002, 5:49:21 PM2/14/02
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:28:58 GMT, d...@firstnethou.com (Dan Day) wrote:

>Now that the game will display corpse rez
>and decay timers if you /con a corpse, I was
>able to finally settle the issue of exactly
>how long player corpses of different levels last...
>

>The manual claims (for decay times): 30 minutes if
>the corpse is level 1-5, or 24 hours online/7 days offline.0

This was changed with the latest patch. Doesn't anybody read the
patch message?

kaev

Feb 14, 2002, 6:28:44 PM2/14/02
Richard wrote:

Real men use whatever they damn please.

- kaev

kaev

Feb 14, 2002, 6:29:25 PM2/14/02
Richard wrote:

wrong.

- kaev

m0oni

Feb 14, 2002, 7:09:56 PM2/14/02
"Ray Rocker" <roc...@datasync.com> wrote in message

> In article <a4h79...@enews3.newsguy.com>, m0oni <sp...@unl33t.org>
wrote:
> >"Richard" <richar...@netscape.net> wrote in message
> >What do real men use? ed?
>
> cat.

Of course, we don't have a definition of "use". Oh well, either way
it's a pointless argument.

Ken Andrews

Feb 14, 2002, 11:01:22 PM2/14/02
wrote:

>Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was

>fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).

Still use vi. I like it. What use is an editor in UNIX if you can't
batch it?

I also still use PE2 on my PC. (IBM's Personal Editor 2.)

Also apropos of naught:

move 2 to A
move 2 to B
add A to B
move 5 to C
multiply B by C
display B

Gotta love DataBus. Bastard offspring of COBOL and Assembler.

Tim Smith

Feb 15, 2002, 1:37:16 AM2/15/02
d...@firstnethou.com (Dan Day) wrote:
>Now that the game will display corpse rez
>and decay timers if you /con a corpse, I was
>able to finally settle the issue of exactly
>how long player corpses of different levels last...

Assuming you trust the /con data. I noticed a couple of oddities.

1. There were a lot of corpses with exactly 3 hours to rez. Even if
you die and camp out as soon as you get back in, some time should be
gone from the timer. I suppose people could have went LD, and died
while LD...but this was in EC, not some raid zone, and there were a
*lot* or corpses this way.

2. I found a corpse with 163 hours left on the rez timer.

A useful experiment to try would be when someone dies, check to make
sure the rez timer is going down, then have them try logging off and
on in different ways. E.g., see if the problem many people have seen
with "/camp desktop" making the rez timer run out faster can be
proven.

--Tim Smith

Rune Ness

Feb 15, 2002, 7:50:40 AM2/15/02
In article <r6nn6usrr8sp3vgnv...@4ax.com>, Handy Solo wrote:
>Those zany guys at IBM (this was back when C was king and AIX was
>fun... oh, and real men used vi to write code).

Yay, Handy proved that the rez timer on the Vi vs EMACS flamewar
is infinite!

Also, to ressurect ANOTHER flamewar, I thought C still was king?

Rune

Rune Ness

Feb 15, 2002, 7:50:41 AM2/15/02
In article <3c6f94bb....@news-server.houston.rr.com>, Dan Day wrote:
[Corpse timer fun]
> So... Either /dueled corpses actually do have a full 3-hour
> rez timer, or:
> a) the 10-minute limit is only for much higher level
> corpses than I had tested, or
> b) the 10-minute limit is only for /dueled corpses
> in dungeons (or perhaps indoor zones) -- my tests
> were done in N.FP, W.FP, and GFay.
> c) the /con rez indicator is wrong.

b) I believe, Plane of Sky to be specific. At least, I think they
changed the duel timer because of PoA duel-then-SC exploits, and
possibly it's only in PoA that the duel rez timer is 5 minutes.

Rune, KNOWS dueled corpses in PoA are unrezzable after 15 minutes.
Stupid warriors who go AFK after duels...

-Martin

Feb 15, 2002, 8:13:50 AM2/15/02
> b) I believe, Plane of Sky to be specific. At least, I think they
> changed the duel timer because of PoA duel-then-SC exploits, and
> possibly it's only in PoA that the duel rez timer is 5 minutes.

Smaller guilds couldn't clear PoA with 24 people... so added to the fact CoH
doesn't work in there, AND the first isle (keymaster) sells coffins (albeit
at a very damn expensive price) I think SC was a deliberate "workaround" for
raids that couldn't get enough keys.. disabling CoH but leaving SC meant
people wouldnt just hop across each isle summoning for the fun of it.. due
to the cost you have to make each summon count

imo anyway

-m
brother grandmaster
prexus

Morelyn

Feb 15, 2002, 9:51:05 AM2/15/02
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:50:41 GMT, ru...@netcom.no (Rune Ness) wrote:

>In article <3c6f94bb....@news-server.houston.rr.com>, Dan Day wrote:
>[Corpse timer fun]
>> So... Either /dueled corpses actually do have a full 3-hour
>> rez timer, or:
>> a) the 10-minute limit is only for much higher level
>> corpses than I had tested, or
>> b) the 10-minute limit is only for /dueled corpses
>> in dungeons (or perhaps indoor zones) -- my tests
>> were done in N.FP, W.FP, and GFay.
>> c) the /con rez indicator is wrong.
>
>b) I believe, Plane of Sky to be specific. At least, I think they
>changed the duel timer because of PoA duel-then-SC exploits, and
>possibly it's only in PoA that the duel rez timer is 5 minutes.

I'm inclined to think c) myself, since I've seen some strange numbers
when conning corpses. Of course, the thing to do is duel, note the
res time on the conned corpse, and then stick around for 40 minutes to
see if you can ACTUALLY res it.

>Rune, KNOWS dueled corpses in PoA are unrezzable after 15 minutes.
>Stupid warriors who go AFK after duels...

I too am 99.9% certain that in Perma I could not res a person who had
died (from a duel) within the last half hour tops.

Richard

Feb 15, 2002, 11:34:36 AM2/15/02
"m0oni" <sp...@unl33t.org> wrote in message

Yes, it is. Personally, I use Codewright which is highly customizable, you
can even make it act like that nasty vi editor. Everyone has their own
personal preference, I just always hated vi, from the first time I tried it.
I have used emacs quite a bit too, but not for some time now. Anyway, this
religious discussion has gotten way OT for EQ.

Dan Day

Feb 15, 2002, 11:43:12 AM2/15/02
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:49:21 -0600, Anon <An...@anon.com> wrote:

>>The manual claims (for decay times): 30 minutes if
>>the corpse is level 1-5, or 24 hours online/7 days offline.0
>
>This was changed with the latest patch.

Yup, it sure was, which was why a little later in
my post I acknowledged:

# as long
# as they were fiddling with the decay/rez display, and
# changing high-level corpse decay times to be a flat
# 7 days instead of a mix of 24h/7d

My point about the manual was that it has always
been wrong about corpses level 2-5, not that it was
now out of date concerning corpses level 6 and up.

> Doesn't anybody read the patch message?

Yes. Doesn't anybody read a post before they gripe
about it?

Joe D

Feb 15, 2002, 12:23:33 PM2/15/02
Ken Andrews <gob...@degook.com> wrote:
> Also apropos of naught:

> move 2 to A
> move 2 to B
> add A to B
> move 5 to C
> multiply B by C
> display B

> Gotta love DataBus. Bastard offspring of COBOL and Assembler.

Now now. You could have done:
move "2" to B
add "2" to B
mult "5" by B
display *P1:1, "The answer is: ", B

Joe D
--
When will you learn that when you flop your dick out onto a tree
stump and offer 170,000 people a hammer like this, some of them will

Dream King

Feb 21, 2002, 2:54:02 PM2/21/02
Morelyn <m...@mor.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:50:41 GMT, ru...@netcom.no (Rune Ness) wrote:
>
>>In article <3c6f94bb....@news-server.houston.rr.com>, Dan Day wrote:
>>[Corpse timer fun]
>>> So... Either /dueled corpses actually do have a full 3-hour
>>> rez timer, or:
>>> a) the 10-minute limit is only for much higher level
>>> corpses than I had tested, or
>>> b) the 10-minute limit is only for /dueled corpses
>>> in dungeons (or perhaps indoor zones) -- my tests
>>> were done in N.FP, W.FP, and GFay.
>>> c) the /con rez indicator is wrong.
>>
>>b) I believe, Plane of Sky to be specific. At least, I think they
>>changed the duel timer because of PoA duel-then-SC exploits, and
>>possibly it's only in PoA that the duel rez timer is 5 minutes.
>>

>I'm inclined to think c) myself, since I've seen some strange numbers
>when conning corpses. Of course, the thing to do is duel, note the
>res time on the conned corpse, and then stick around for 40 minutes to
>see if you can ACTUALLY res it.

I think it's c as well. We had an unfortunate individual up in Sky the
other day. His corpse conned three hours, so he went shopping and stuff
somewhere. When it was time to res his corpse about 20 minutes later, it
was too old. I'm not sure why came of that. Personally I would have
petitioned and said due to a bug my corpse can no longer be ressed. To
me that's a bug. If it says you have a certain amount of time you should
have that amount.

Dan Harmon

Feb 21, 2002, 4:59:49 PM2/21/02

"Dream King" <morp...@cent.com> wrote in message

> I think it's c as well. We had an unfortunate individual up in Sky the
> other day. His corpse conned three hours, so he went shopping and stuff
> somewhere. When it was time to res his corpse about 20 minutes later, it
> was too old. I'm not sure why came of that. Personally I would have

He went shopping & stuff in less than 20 minutes? Did he rent the back room
of the store? :)

Joe Bott

Feb 21, 2002, 8:22:59 PM2/21/02

Dream King <morp...@cent.com> wrote in message
> I think it's c as well. We had an unfortunate individual up in Sky the
> other day. His corpse conned three hours, so he went shopping and stuff
> somewhere. When it was time to res his corpse about 20 minutes later, it
> was too old. I'm not sure why came of that. Personally I would have
> petitioned and said due to a bug my corpse can no longer be ressed. To
> me that's a bug. If it says you have a certain amount of time you should
> have that amount.

Yeah, dont count on that. My corpse that conned 167 hours left to res one
day, and 137 the next, changed to unressable in about 2 hours of online
time. And the guide was a dink, and didnt see the 'xp loss due to a bug'
thing. Even though he said "If your corpse said you have 2732 hours left to
res it, its a bug, its always been 3 hours." Dang worthless guides. :P

Joe