We need a "combine" confirm box.

1 view

Shrike

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
or on our persons.

What we need is a Confirm box for "combine", so we don't accidentally
destroy our loot. Of course, we sould be able to tunr the confirmation
on or off on the main options, so we don't need to confirm every time
when we get down to a serious baking session.

Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.

--
Hanrahan Thornhide, Druid in Fennin Ro, Griffin Snack.

Rhialto, Enchanter in Fennin Ro, Young Kodiak Lunch.

"Remember, you reap what you SoW"

Gordon Wrinn

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message

> Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
> Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
> paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
> using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
> or on our persons.
> Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.

These items aren't meant to be used as containers.

> What we need is a Confirm box for "combine", so we don't accidentally
> destroy our loot. Of course, we sould be able to tunr the confirmation
> on or off on the main options, so we don't need to confirm every time
> when we get down to a serious baking session.

Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit of
humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)

----SNIP----

Player enters the world
*click* Run

Warning! Running can lead to tripping, falling, and cracking of skulls. Are
you are you want to do this? Yes/No?"

*click* Yes
Player wanders a bit. "Ah! There are my brethren!"
*press* H

Warning. You are about to Hail Player2. This might call his attention to
you, which could be unwanted. Are you sure you want to do this? Yes/No"

*click* Yes
Player says "Hail"
Player 2 says (after his own interaction with the ubiquitous confirmation
box) "Hail Player! We were about to embark on a journey to the darkest of
Burrows, to slay some Gnolls! Would ye like to join us?"
Player says "Aye! Indeed I would!"
Player2 has invited to join a party, press FOLLOW to accept.
*click* Follow

Caution! You have chosen to join Player2's group. Some parties are less
effective, and you could be killed due to thier bumbling behavior. Are you
certain you wish to do this? Yes/No"

*click* Yes
The party runs to BlackBurrow.

Warning! You have reached a zone line. Crossing this barrier could be
dangerous, as you have no way of knowing what is on the other side. Are you
sure you want to do this? Yes/No

*click* Yes
You have entered BlackBurrow
Random Player shouts "Train to zone! Clear the tracks!"
Player looks around
An Elite Gnoll Guard hits YOU for 27 points of damage!
An Elite Gnoll Guard slashes YOU for 31 points of damage!
Player whirls.
*press* f8
*press* A

Warning! You have chosen to attack.

An Elite Gnoll Guard slashes YOU for 15 points of damage!
An Elite Gnoll Guard hits YOU for 24 points of damage!
An Elite Gnoll Guard bashes you for 8 points of damage!
You are STUNNED!

Attacking will aggravate your target. If you chose a poor target, you may
die, requiring hours of running from your bind point and/or posssible corpse
loss.

An Elite Gnoll Guard slashes YOU for 32 points of damage!
An Elite Gnoll Guard hits YOU for 19 points of damage!
You are unstunned.

Are you sure you want to do this? Yes/No

An Elite Gnoll Guard hits YOU for 18 points of damage!
An Elite Gnoll Guard hits YOU for 13 points of damage!

Player *cursing* For the love of the Gods *click* YES YES YES!
You try to strike an Elite Gnoll Guard and Miss!
An Elite Gnoll Guard hits YOU for 29 points of damage!
You have been knocked unconscious!
You are bleeding to death!
You have been slain by an Elite Gnoll Guard!

----SNIP----

Gordon Wrinn
Internet Relations Manager
Verant Interactive, Inc.
www.verant.com - www.everquest.com

Sam Schlansky

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
gwr...@verant.com (Gordon Wrinn) wrote in
<s53rc0...@news.supernews.com>:

>Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message
>> Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade
>> containers (me, Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon
>> Concordance of Research), but the paranoia of hitting
>> accidentally the "combine" button stops us from using them as
>> containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank or on
>> our persons. Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to
>> implement.
>
>These items aren't meant to be used as containers.

So?

I hesitate to bring this to the attention of the nerfing gods, but...

A large sewing kit weights 0.4 and has eight extra large slots. A
backpack weighs 3.0 and has eight large slots. I save 18.2 weight
units by using seven large sewing kits instead of seven backpacks.

The sewing kit is better in every way, except for the chance of
hitting "combine".

Of course that could be seen as balancing the item-- sure it's
lighter and you can hold a halberd in it, but if you're not careful
you're screwed.

>> What we need is a Confirm box for "combine", so we don't
>> accidentally destroy our loot. Of course, we sould be able to
>> tunr the confirmation on or off on the main options, so we don't
>> need to confirm every time when we get down to a serious baking
>> session.
>
>Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this
>bit of humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)

(snip: too many confirmation boxes sucks)

That really isn't applicable in this situation. Unless you're working
on a trade skill, you *never* want to hit combine. Simply have a
little checkbox in the options for "combine: on/off" and all problems
are solved.

Of course then NOBODY would use backpacks, so you're probably nerf
large sewing kits. On second thought, forget you ever read this post.
:)

Sam

--

/| Sam Schlansky <sam[at]operation3d[dot]com>
/| I speak for myself only unless noted otherwise.

Shrike

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Gordon Wrinn wrote:

> Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message
> > Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
> > Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
> > paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
> > using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
> > or on our persons.
> > Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.
>
> These items aren't meant to be used as containers.

Oh, really? Well, then allow them to be put inside other containers.
Problem solved.

> > What we need is a Confirm box for "combine", so we don't accidentally
> > destroy our loot. Of course, we sould be able to tunr the confirmation
> > on or off on the main options, so we don't need to confirm every time
> > when we get down to a serious baking session.
>
> Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit of
> humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)

Hey, I'm a UNIX boy, I don't need stinking confirmations to do stuff.
Then again, if my mouse freezes in a lagspike and is released just in
time to hit "combine" in the tailoring kit where I had some lightstones
and a few pieces of bronze, I would be rather annoyed.

The confirmation box is not the point, the point is to be able to use
stuff that takes up valuable slots on our person or in the bank as
containers... The confirmation box is just one of the possible ways to
go about it.

Anyway, thanks for at least reading the post... :)

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 22:20:08 -0800, "Gordon Wrinn" <gwr...@verant.com> wrote:

|Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message
|> Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
|> Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
|> paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
|> using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
|> or on our persons.
|> Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.
|
|These items aren't meant to be used as containers.

So fix them so they can't be. Let us put toolkits in containers, but
don't let them open from inside a container, and don't let them be moved o
closed if anything is inside them.

Dennis F. Heffernan EQ: Venture Fletcher(E'ci) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"I guess my work 'round here has all been done."
-- The Devil, "The Garden of Allah", Don Henley

Brett Hawn

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Dennis Francis Heffernan<dfra...@email.com> wrote:
> So fix them so they can't be. Let us put toolkits in containers, but
>don't let them open from inside a container, and don't let them be moved o
>closed if anything is inside them.

Agreed, this is one thing that has always bothered me, I used to code for a
fairly populated MUD, and I know the hassle that nested container code can
be. Don't get me wrong, until you sort it out, is a real bitch, but it can
be done, took me about 200 lines of code to get it all right, and I'm
reasonably sure the folks writing EQ are a damn sight better coders than I
ever was or will be.

Jud

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Come on, you've got to be kidding me. You want to make trade skills even
more tedious then they already are? In case you didn't figure this out yet,
the "combine" button means that it wasn't meant to be used as a backpack.
You want to carry stuff, buy a freakin' backpack like everybody else! How
lazy can you be?

Shrike wrote:

> Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
> Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
> paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
> using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
> or on our persons.
>

> What we need is a Confirm box for "combine", so we don't accidentally
> destroy our loot. Of course, we sould be able to tunr the confirmation
> on or off on the main options, so we don't need to confirm every time
> when we get down to a serious baking session.
>

> Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.

g. deans

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Not all of us store things in containers because we're "lazy." My magician
dabbles in trade skills from time to time, usually when I outlevel my playing
companion.

This leads to a huge collection of containers:
- elemental grimoire (mage research)
- concordance of research (practice research)
- large sewing kit
- spit
- mixing bowl
- jeweler's kit
- fletching kit
- blackburrow cask (because I had been FALSELY told it worked for brewing)
- and the occasional quest containers, e.g. at the moment, a hollow skull.

I'll have you know, though, that I DO use backpacks for my most important
possessions. I cannot risk losing valuable items that cost me hours of questing
and camping or hundreds of platinum, due to a misplaced click. Even so, I have
so many other things to store (i.e. components for these tradeskills, auxiliary
equipment, various quest items, keepsakes and nicknacks) that using trade
containers is my only choice. I have all 16 slots at my disposal filled with
containers, which can be quite a hassle. I miss using dimensional pockets, and
soon dimension holes, which despite their risks were still great ways to reduce
my weight. Anyway, I've been rambling but I'd like to say that I completely
support the suggestion to have a confirmation on combine (with the condition, as
the original poster said, that it can be turned off with a toggle in your
options, the same as the destroy item confirmation).

Jaalen al'Vere
Elementalist of E'ci

Shortest Barbarian On The Block

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
>i...@verant.com (Gordon Wrinn) wrote in
><s53rc0...@news.supernews.com>:
>

>>Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message
>>> Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade
>>> containers (me, Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon
>>> Concordance of Research), but the paranoia of hitting
>>> accidentally the "combine" button stops us from using them as
>>> containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank or on
>>> our persons. Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to
>>> implement.
>>

>>These items aren't meant to be used as containers.
>
>So?
>
>I hesitate to bring this to the attention of the nerfing gods, but...
>
>A large sewing kit weights 0.4 and has eight extra large slots. A
>backpack weighs 3.0 and has eight large slots. I save 18.2 weight
>units by using seven large sewing kits instead of seven backpacks.
>
>The sewing kit is better in every way, except for the chance of
>hitting "combine".

Great; now they're gonna nerf them. ;) (Sorry, Gordon, I'm not an EQ cynic,
really!)

But until that happens--if they do--do what I do. Right click to open and
close. I *never* hit the "done" button. Works like a charm.

Kay Anders
Voted Semi-Likely To Be Turned To The Dark Side Of The Forceâ„¢

<i>There are some things you can't share without
ending up liking each other, and knocking out a
twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.</i>
-- J.K. Rowlings

Shrike

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Jud wrote:

> Come on, you've got to be kidding me. You want to make trade skills even
> more tedious then they already are? In case you didn't figure this out yet,
> the "combine" button means that it wasn't meant to be used as a backpack.
> You want to carry stuff, buy a freakin' backpack like everybody else! How
> lazy can you be?

Jud,

I really don't mind being flamed, I'm used to it, but if you are going
to flame one of my posts, I would appreciate that you at least *read* it
first.

Until then, respectfully, fuck off.

> Shrike wrote:
>
> > Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
> > Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
> > paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
> > using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
> > or on our persons.
> >

> > What we need is a Confirm box for "combine", so we don't accidentally
> > destroy our loot. Of course, we sould be able to tunr the confirmation
> > on or off on the main options, so we don't need to confirm every time
> > when we get down to a serious baking session.
> >

> > Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.

Xenomorph

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
this is so dumb..

why do you need a confirmation box for something your mouse NEVER has to get
near?

im just guessing you have put many things in a kit of some kind and hit
Combine. .. why? your mouse didnt have to be anywhere near the Combine
button.

and im sure you've hit the Combine button over and over, destoying all your
shit over and over... each time saying "oh shit! there needs to be something
to keep me from doing that!" and then hitting it again like a retard
destroying more stuff.. and then saying "man, Verant really needs to keep me
from doing this!" .. and then hitting it again destroying more loot...
"shit! did it again!"

wouldnt it just be fuckin easier to NOT hit the Combine button? is it that
hard to learn?

just right click to close stuff.

a lot of shit already takes forever to do with kits.. especially fletching
kits.. click item 1, place in kit, click 2, and place in the kit, 3, then
4.. then click combine.. and you want to add another step into it just
because you keep destroying your stuff?

Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message

JackFrost

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Just hit esc or right click. If we bitch about this too much they will just
raise the weight to match the backpacks. Let's face it, most people use
these containers because they weigh a hell of a lot less than backpacks.
Bitch about it and we lose it.

Shrike

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Xenomorph wrote:

> a lot of shit already takes forever to do with kits.. especially fletching
> kits.. click item 1, place in kit, click 2, and place in the kit, 3, then
> 4.. then click combine.. and you want to add another step into it just
> because you keep destroying your stuff?

Why don't you at least fucking read the post you are trying to flame? I
said that there must be a general option to have the confirmation on or
off.

Supax

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
Hey, why don't backpacks offer AC as a reason to use them? Someone covered in
backbacks is bound to get some sort of protection from them. Even if its only
1 point each

Raymond Johnson

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
I definately do not want confirmation boxes!

Whether or not they were meant to be containers isn't the problem.
The "combine" button is too close to the "Done" button and with the
amount of lag I have accidentally clicked "combine" instead of "done"
despite my efforts not to do so. What would be great is to move the
"combine" button to the TOP of the container instead of so close to
the "done" button at the bottom. I sent feedback on this several
times.

Also, while moving items around so much I happen to click on the area
between slots rather than in the slot and it grasps the container
instead of dropping the item from the cursor into the slot. THIS IS
VERY ANNOYING. Would it be possible to change this somehow?

wrote:

>Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message

>> Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
>> Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
>> paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
>> using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
>> or on our persons.

>> Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.
>

>These items aren't meant to be used as containers.

Are they meant to be bought one time, used, then sold back right away?

>> What we need is a Confirm box for "combine", so we don't accidentally
>> destroy our loot. Of course, we sould be able to tunr the confirmation
>> on or off on the main options, so we don't need to confirm every time
>> when we get down to a serious baking session.
>

>Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit of
>humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)
>

>----SNIP----

[snip]

Timothy J Parker

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Raymond Johnson wrote:

> I definately do not want confirmation boxes!
>
> Whether or not they were meant to be containers isn't the problem.
> The "combine" button is too close to the "Done" button and with the
> amount of lag I have accidentally clicked "combine" instead of "done"
> despite my efforts not to do so. What would be great is to move the
> "combine" button to the TOP of the container instead of so close to
> the "done" button at the bottom. I sent feedback on this several
> times.

Close em with the Escape key on your keyboard. No lag.

> Also, while moving items around so much I happen to click on the area
> between slots rather than in the slot and it grasps the container
> instead of dropping the item from the cursor into the slot. THIS IS
> VERY ANNOYING. Would it be possible to change this somehow?

Yeah, that can be a pain in laggy areas. The fix should be that no container
should open on top of any other open container. They should always open in a
fixed location NOT on top of our equipment slots or inventory slots. Like the
stats window. Then we wouldn't ever need to move the bloody things!

Ron Cole

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
>> Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
>> Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
>> paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
>> using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
>> or on our persons.
>> Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.
>
>These items aren't meant to be used as containers.

Well then allow them to be put inside other *real* containers *if* they are
empty. Right now they act like and are limited by all the same rules as
regular containers, so we are forced to use them as such. Some people
abuse this (10 slot quest containers for free), the rest of us are just
trying to carry around the normal assortment of stuff and do our trades
when not near a bank.

>> What we need is a Confirm box for "combine", so we don't accidentally

Please god no... trade skills involve enough clicking already. This could
be implemented using the same switch as destroy prompting though, as long
as I can still turn it off.

>Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit of
>humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)

>Warning! You have reached a zone line. Crossing this barrier could be
>dangerous, as you have no way of knowing what is on the other side. Are you
>sure you want to do this? Yes/No

This one should be in there, for zone borders with no landmarks to
designate them, like the border between Qeynos and Qeynos Hills. Or, you
could make the zone line visible, with some sort of transparent energy
field, since they do offer a magical line of safety/transport.

Ward Stockwell

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Funny response :).. however.. one quick question.
If they are not meant to be containers... why not make them so that they can be
carried inside Backpacks? This would alleviate most of the inventory slot
congestion. People could simply carry one Backpack with all their
"non-container" items such as Jewelry kits, Sewing kits, Concordances, etc.

Happy hunting all

Gordon Wrinn wrote:

> [...]

> An Elite Gnoll Guard hits YOU for 27 points of damage!
> An Elite Gnoll Guard slashes YOU for 31 points of damage!
> Player whirls.
> *press* f8
> *press* A
>
> Warning! You have chosen to attack.
>
> An Elite Gnoll Guard slashes YOU for 15 points of damage!
> An Elite Gnoll Guard hits YOU for 24 points of damage!
> An Elite Gnoll Guard bashes you for 8 points of damage!
> You are STUNNED!
>
> Attacking will aggravate your target. If you chose a poor target, you may
> die, requiring hours of running from your bind point and/or posssible corpse
> loss.
>
> An Elite Gnoll Guard slashes YOU for 32 points of damage!
> An Elite Gnoll Guard hits YOU for 19 points of damage!
> You are unstunned.
>

> Are you sure you want to do this? Yes/No

abatt...@netscape.net

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Gordon Wrinn <gwr...@verant.com> wrote:
> Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit of
> humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)

i'm laughing so much about what you posted that my coworkers are looking at me
strangely, wondering why i'm not working...

i think the attacking bit was the one that did it the most... egad!

does brad have this sense of humor? /ponder brad

--
josh

abatt...@netscape.net

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote:
>> These items aren't meant to be used as containers.

> Oh, really? Well, then allow them to be put inside other containers.
> Problem solved.

indeed, or don't allow items to be put in them except for the items that are
supposed to be put in them! (eg, whatever goes in the tax collection box, i
have no idea what SHOULD go in it, was a gift, but its a nice 10 slot container
:).

about large sewing kits - i know several monks that use these instead of
backpacks because they weigh very very little.

> Hey, I'm a UNIX boy, I don't need stinking confirmations to do stuff.
> Then again, if my mouse freezes in a lagspike and is released just in
> time to hit "combine" in the tailoring kit where I had some lightstones
> and a few pieces of bronze, I would be rather annoyed.

heh, if you're used to Unix, use the keyboard - hit escape to close the
container's subwindow. that's what i do :-)

> The confirmation box is not the point, the point is to be able to use
> stuff that takes up valuable slots on our person or in the bank as
> containers... The confirmation box is just one of the possible ways to
> go about it.

indeed, i stuffed a TON of random quest junk in that tax collection box (broom,
shovel, stein, downfeather, carrion, etc etc). fortunately i remember to not
use the mouse when i'm using a "Combine" container. (had a terrible accident
concerning a small sewing kit and four greater lightstones once...)

--
josh

Olaf

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
They wont ever do this. Why? Because trade containers are lighter than
backpacks (therfore better) and can hold the same size objects (at least a
fletching kit can, as compared to a backpack). Making a combine dialogue
box would be seen as an 'exploit'. If anything, expect to see trade
containers all raised in weight to the same as a backpack.

My anecdote:

Instead of backpacks, I carry fletchkits (except for a sewn evil eye bag and
a handmade 10slot pack). I alwys knew I would eventually hit combine
instead of done and it happened to me 2 nights ago. Luckily for me, I only
had food, water, mead, and a couple of GLSs in there. I am going to phase
out my fletch kits post-haste and eat the extra weight.

olaf

> Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
> Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
> paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
> using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
> or on our persons.
>

> What we need is a Confirm box for "combine", so we don't accidentally
> destroy our loot. Of course, we sould be able to tunr the confirmation
> on or off on the main options, so we don't need to confirm every time
> when we get down to a serious baking session.
>

> Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.

Foe

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
Would be good as an option. Sort of like the quick destory. Cause that
would be very annoying if your doing trade skills. However it would be
nice as a toggle.

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 18:33:16 GMT, tub...@ix.netcom.com (bizbee)
wrote:

>Yn erthygl <s53rc0...@news.supernews.com>, sgrifenws "Gordon Wrinn"
><gwr...@verant.com>:

>>Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message
>>> Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
>>> Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
>>> paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
>>> using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
>>> or on our persons.

>>> Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.
>>

>>These items aren't meant to be used as containers.
>>

>So, then, you're telling us that we should be able to put them
><inside> a pack?
>I get this odd message every time I do that that says it <IS> a
>container. Will that be corrected?

lion...@shell.flite.net

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
Foe <big...@netzero.net> wrote:
> Would be good as an option. Sort of like the quick destory. Cause that
> would be very annoying if your doing trade skills. However it would be
> nice as a toggle.

I would be happy if they just put the combine button at the top of the box,
far away from the done button so that I don't hit combine when I really mean
done.

Aslanler, Ranger of 14 Seasons, Erollisi Marr
"I fletch, therefore I am broke"

Robert Viduya

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99

Gordon Wrinn <gwr...@verant.com> wrote in message

> Shrike <shr...@alcaudon.com> wrote in message
> > Right now, some of us carry a lot of research and trade containers (me,
> > Large sewing kit, jewelry kit and soon Concordance of Research), but the
> > paranoia of hitting accidentally the "combine" button stops us from
> > using them as containers, therefore wasting a lot of space in the bank
> > or on our persons.
> > Come on, Verant, this wouldn't be hard to implement.
>
> These items aren't meant to be used as containers.

We wouldn't be using them as containers if we had more bank slots (hint
hint). Or, at the very least, being able to store them IN containers (must
be empty before storing, of course).

Nabiki

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
I have a story I hate to tell, but it is a good example of why we need a
combine confirm box. I was putting the rings for the Paw of Oppela quest
into the Paw container. After placing the gold and silver rings in the
container my mouse slipped and i accidentally destroyed both rings. Any of
you who have actually completed or tried to complete this quest knows that
the gold ring takes an ungodly amout of camping to get. I actually broke
down and cried on the spot. It all would have been prevented if only there
had been a "combine" confirm button. I obviously didn't combine them on
purpose, but there was no way to salvage the items. Spent another 3 days
camping for the gold ring and consider myself lucky to have gotten it in
that amount of time.

Nabiki

"Robert Viduya" <rob...@shangri-la.oit.gatech.edu> wrote in message

Larry Comeau

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Gordon Wrinn said...

> Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit of
> humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)
>

> ----SNIP----

Although you might find it amusing, having a confirmation box for
something this important is not a stretch or unreasonable. I have heard
the screams of players who lost something(s) because of a misplaced
mouse click. In fact, your own game contributes to errors like this when
server overloading causes sudden frame rate drops due to too many people
doing too many things at once (ex: casting), making mouse movements slow
and jerky. This happens on almost all systems, even high end ones.

As for not wanting them to be used for storage, then maybe we should get
some real storage space in our banks if that was your intention. You
guys keep adding quests and items at an exponential rate yet we are
stuck with the same pathetic space to store them. So instead of dealing
with the game requirements to track more items in our bank accounts, you
have to deal with everyone having 3 or 4 mules that do nothing but act
as storage.

Bryan Burch

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
AMEN Brother!

"Larry Comeau" <mad...@home.com> wrote in message

Jeffrey Price

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
backpack - weight 3 stones
combine "kit" - weight 0.4 stones

I carry 4 "kits" because they are so lightweight. The price I pay for
that is the risk of hitting the wrong button. I have done this twice so
far...I get over it quickly because I was stOOpid. I know the tradeoffs
and I'm more than willing to risk a few slip ups by saving around 10
stones in weight over the comparable backpacks. Its all about tradeoffs
and risk vs reward.

-alewuf shinkicker of povar.

stephenmcleod

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Hint.

ALWAYS right click on containers to close them (whether they have a
combine button or not). Never use the closing button at the bottom.

You will not lose items any more.

crazy...@my-deja.com

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
In article <s53rc0...@news.supernews.com>,
"Gordon Wrinn" <gwr...@verant.com> wrote:

> These items aren't meant to be used as containers.

If they weren't meant to be used as containers, then why do they all
weigh 0.2 pounds while backpacks weigh 3.8? Make them weigh a lot.

If they weren't meant to be used as containers, why not make items you
put into these as type "combinable", and only allow combinable items to
be put into the containers.

> Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit
of
> humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)
>
> ----SNIP----

You forgot this bit of humor:

"Click" You just clicked "Optional Patch". Would you like us to
disable this button if no optional patch is available? Choose "No"
or "No" to continue.

"Click" You just clicked on the Everquest icon, this will be a major
suck on your real life. Click "Yes" to continue.

"Click" You just clicked yes to the License Agreement for the 5,322
time without reading it. Are you sure you agree? Click "Yes" to
continue.

"Click" You always on to the same server, would you like us to
automatically take you into that same server. Click "No"
or "Absolutely not, I love the 10 step/3 minute process that I go
through to play EQ, it makes it that much easier to quit." to continue.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Joe D

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Larry Comeau <mad...@home.com> wrote:
>> Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit of
>> humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)

> Although you might find it amusing, having a confirmation box for

> something this important is not a stretch or unreasonable. I have heard

When I fletch arrows, I tend to do it in a big way. Having to hit a
confirmation box EVERY SINGLE TIME I attempt to make an arrow would get
really old really fast.

Joe D
--
Wrong answer.

Timothy J Parker

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Joe D wrote:

> When I fletch arrows, I tend to do it in a big way. Having to hit a
> confirmation box EVERY SINGLE TIME I attempt to make an arrow would get
> really old really fast.

At last, a sensible post on this subject!

Brian Tuggle

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
They could easily make a flag like they do for the fast delete in the
options, this way you can turn "fast combine" on when you are fletching and
off when your not.

"Joe D" <jo...@cws.org> wrote in message news:83rc24$puq$1...@hiram.io.com...

> Larry Comeau <mad...@home.com> wrote:
> >> Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit of
> >> humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)
>
> > Although you might find it amusing, having a confirmation box for
> > something this important is not a stretch or unreasonable. I have heard
>

> When I fletch arrows, I tend to do it in a big way. Having to hit a
> confirmation box EVERY SINGLE TIME I attempt to make an arrow would get
> really old really fast.

Shrike

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Joe D wrote:

> Larry Comeau <mad...@home.com> wrote:
> >> Though I could explain how I feel about confirmation boxes, this bit of
> >> humor I picked up pretty much describes it :)
>
> > Although you might find it amusing, having a confirmation box for
> > something this important is not a stretch or unreasonable. I have heard
>
> When I fletch arrows, I tend to do it in a big way. Having to hit a
> confirmation box EVERY SINGLE TIME I attempt to make an arrow would get
> really old really fast.

That's why the original poster, namely me, said that the comfirmation
box should be able to be turned on and off in the options, just like the
"fast destroy".

--
Hanrahan Thornhide, Druid in Fennin Ro, Griffin Snack.

Rhialto, Enchanter in Fennin Ro, Ruby-waster Extraordinaire.

Larry Comeau

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
I think in one of the earlier post someone mentioned having the
confirmation as an option you could switch on and off... just like a
host of other options you have now. So of course for things like
training and such, you would turn it off to speed things up.

Also, I too use them as containers, not only because I have them on me
at all times and may as well use them, but also because they weigh less,
they can hold ANY sized item, like Mammoth Rib Bones (*grin*), and
because as an Ogre, I can carry obscene amounts of loot before getting
encumbered, including my whole bankroll, as I am not welcome in very
many places or their banks, so it comes down to using the container as
storage or dropping loot all over the ground. At least with a container
you have a chance!

--------------------

> Joe D wrote:
>

> > When I fletch arrows, I tend to do it in a big way. Having to hit a
> > confirmation box EVERY SINGLE TIME I attempt to make an arrow would get
> > really old really fast.

EQBizzleBob

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
When I first saw this thread, I wondered why they didn't to begin with.

We are talking about the carry type combine containers and
not the fixed things like Pottery Wheel, Kiln, Oven, Brew Keg, and Forge.
You have to actively MOVE the raw materials into them.

Personal experience while making tailoring studs....
No less than twice a whole sewing kit's worth of metal bits, file,
blocks of ore and already made studs GONE. Purely MisMoused.

Third time around and many platinum spent later,
I moved the more vaulable keepers into my SPIT and KIT.
I continued to Forge out of a Backpack, but you can
image the annoyance of reJUGGLING everything around
just to free up the spots again when ready to use the Tailoring kit.

As for the other argument for EVERY SINGLE TIME.
I don't do fletching, but do use a Jewelry kit and do understand.

It's not an easy ANSWER, but there maybe a smarter
combine logic that need apply.

Given that "List A" is ALL the valid ingredients (Baking things),
(Tailoring things) can be used to make new finished items.
Any invalid combination of items from the list would be lost.
At least for bakers, most utensils are returned similar to
unSharpened rusty weapons from a Forge.
Experimentation that THESE ITEMS DON'T COMBINE remains valid.
The loss of an item(s) from the *not found on* "List A" should prompt
with a CONFIRM message just like DESTROY.
NoDrop flagged items come to mind as well as Unique Lore items
stored in the bank.
(Quest Coins, Illegible Cantrip etc.. all have possesion check logic)

So that
Pelts, Weapons etc can not be Baked.
nor
Vegatables, Meats, Swords can not be Sewn.

The SAFEGuard mechanism for use as a container, put any
single item that doesn't natrually belong into your Kit/Spit.

BizzleBob [Veeshan]