A Shaman question

1 view

Matt Frisch

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Having finally reached the magic number, 30, I am now forced to decide just
what the hell I want to specialize in.

Divination, Abjuration, Evocation are clearly out, but the choice between
Alteration and Conjuration is a tough one...as I see it:

Conjuration:
Disease/Poison DoTs
Pets
The other little conjures we get (food, spirit pouches, etc)

Alteration:
Heals
Poison/Disease cures
Tagar's/Togor's/Turgur's/Tigir's
X like wolf
Gate
Ultravision
Root
Levitate
Bind
The few stat buffs that matter (charisma, str for carrying more)
Shrink
The Malise line
Quickness/Alacrity/Celerity
The Hp buffing talismans
The cannibalize line
Regen/Chloro/Whatever the 50+ versions are called

Now, just from that list, looks like alteration walks away with it, but
cheaper, faster pets are a definate plus, and being able to toss a few more
banes of nife for 1650 pts has its definite appeal.

Any opinions?

Chris Fromm

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
I pondered basically the same question with my Necromancer. True faster,
cheaper pets would be nice. But IMHO, to take the greatest benefit from
Specializiation, it makes more sense to choose the skill that encompasses
the greatest number of spells for you main. And remember you do specialize
in all the spell circles, so you will still see the effect on the others,
just not as much as your main... When i read the list of spells under your
Alteration, they seem to be the spells that make a shaman a shaman.

Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message

Sergey Dashevskiy

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
In article <390737e3...@news.earthlink.net>, matuse73
@yahoo.spam.me.not.com says...

> Having finally reached the magic number, 30, I am now forced to decide just
> what the hell I want to specialize in.
>
> Divination, Abjuration, Evocation are clearly out, but the choice between
> Alteration and Conjuration is a tough one...as I see it:
>
> Conjuration:
> Disease/Poison DoTs

Usually cast once per fight

> Pets

Usually cast once per zone

> The other little conjures we get (food, spirit pouches, etc)

Usually not cast

> Alteration:
> Heals

Few times per fight, between fights, depending on what you are doing

> Poison/Disease cures
> Tagar's/Togor's/Turgur's/Tigir's

Once per fight

> X like wolf
> Gate
> Ultravision
> Root

Many times per fight

> Levitate
> Bind
> The few stat buffs that matter (charisma, str for carrying more)

Quite a bit

> Shrink
> The Malise line
> Quickness/Alacrity/Celerity

3-4 times per 2-5 fights.

> The Hp buffing talismans
> The cannibalize line

Doesn't take mana, very rarely fizzles, so specialization doesn't matter

> Regen/Chloro/Whatever the 50+ versions are called

I keep it on myself at all times, and usually on one or two tanks that
will take damage as well. So, twice in 13 minutes

> Now, just from that list, looks like alteration walks away with it, but
> cheaper, faster pets are a definate plus, and being able to toss a few more
> banes of nife for 1650 pts has its definite appeal.

I'm strongly convienced that even while soloing (unless kiting), you
will save yourself a lot of mana if you specialize in Alteration. In
most groups you will spend about 5 times more mana on Alteration spells
than on Conjuration, if not more than that.

If you intend to kite, I'd still suggest to choose alteration, as you
will still be able to kill things, just at a bit slower pace. On the
other hand, you will be more useful to your group when you do group

--
Vedun, 30th tank mage
Xirin, 31st retired druid

Ken Andrews

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Matt Frisch wrote in message <390737e3...@news.earthlink.net>...

>Having finally reached the magic number, 30, I am now forced to decide just
>what the hell I want to specialize in.
>
>Divination, Abjuration, Evocation are clearly out, but the choice between
>Alteration and Conjuration is a tough one...as I see it:

>Any opinions?

Put one point into each of the Specializations. Ignore them from then on.
Let your own preferred casting pattern determine which one gets past 50
first. Whatever you do the most of will decide what you need the high
Specialization in.

Jeremy Music

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00

Be careful though. I found with my magician that alteration seemed to
increase at a disproportionate rate and had to consciously raise my
conjuration specialization. For magicians alteration would be a far distant
third choice for specialization.

Wyld Knight - wyld.qx.net 3333
http://wyld.qx.net/~rezo
re...@lords.com

Mike Kaspar

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
"Ken Andrews" <gobble@degook> wrote in message

> Put one point into each of the Specializations. Ignore them from then on.
> Let your own preferred casting pattern determine which one gets past 50
> first. Whatever you do the most of will decide what you need the high
> Specialization in.

This is what I did, but I knew ahead of time that I would specialize in
Alteration.

One word of caution...after you grab Specialization, get 'specialized' (over
50 in something) before you do any type of "practicing" to raise neglected
spell skills. I heard of one guy that grabbed specialize and then decided
to work on his Div skill which was a 3. He specialized in Div, and for a
shaman that is a fate worse than death...no matter what you do, your stuck
with it.

Mike Kaspar
32 Shaman, EMarr

abatt...@netscape.net

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> Divination, Abjuration, Evocation are clearly out, but the choice between

i was really suprised how much i use divination after level 29... ultravision
and invisibility are just too useful :)

> Alteration and Conjuration is a tough one...as I see it:

not so tough...

> Disease/Poison DoTs

definately most often cast conjuration. but hardly enough that you would want
to specialize in.

> Pets

i got my specialization in alteration. this was by level 31 at the latest (i
dont' remember exactly when it was). this is definately before getting the
pet.

besides, the pet takes 10 seconds to conjure and uses 350+ mana. do you think
specialization is going to help that much? <Grin>

> The other little conjures we get (food, spirit pouches, etc)

i have not summoned a spirit pouch for myself since they made the no rent
change (where no rent items poof when you go LD). i haven't summoned food or
water since about level 14, since it was easier and took less time to buy my
food/water. i summon these things for other people when requested, but that
is rare.

> Alteration:
> Heals

> Poison/Disease cures
> Tagar's/Togor's/Turgur's/Tigir's

> X like wolf
> Gate
> Ultravision
> Root

> Levitate
> Bind
> The few stat buffs that matter (charisma, str for carrying more)

> Shrink
> The Malise line
> Quickness/Alacrity/Celerity

> The Hp buffing talismans
> The cannibalize line

> Regen/Chloro/Whatever the 50+ versions are called

(Ultravision is a Divination spell).

other than that, alteration is definately the specialization of choice for
almost every shaman out there. the only conjuration i use in combat is DoT.
the pet is cast before combat occurs and specialization would hardly matter.
i cast many many alteration spells in battle (togor's always, enstill, heal,
quick, cannibalize sometimes, malisement, gate sometimes).

> Now, just from that list, looks like alteration walks away with it, but
> cheaper, faster pets are a definate plus, and being able to toss a few more
> banes of nife for 1650 pts has its definite appeal.

the pet is almost always going to be cast before the first pull, so you don't
gain anything by casting a couple seconds faster or using a little less mana.
with DoTs you can only cast as many as the duration allows.

> Any opinions?

i asked around when i got my shaman to 30th. i heard so many varied responses
that i did the following: i just played like normal. i didn't take any
effort to specialize in one over another. lo and behold, alteration came out
on top, by a good 12 skill points. next was, of all things, divination at 38,
then conjuration - was casting a lot of envenomed bolts, and evocation. i
think my abjuration is about 47, and only because i was trying to raise the
regular abjuration skill by casting inner fire on myself for about 30 minutes.

so my advise is to just keep playing like you normally play and see which one
you end up with specialization in. and besides, if you find out it isn't the
one you want, you CAN go to the temple of sol ro and forget the specialization
and get a new one (one of the npc's will erase it for you).

--
josh
Dark Jedi of the Sysadmin Sith Darth ddifdevrandomofslash

abatt...@netscape.net

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
Ken Andrews <gobble@degook> wrote:
>>Any opinions?

> Put one point into each of the Specializations. Ignore them from then on.
> Let your own preferred casting pattern determine which one gets past 50
> first. Whatever you do the most of will decide what you need the high
> Specialization in.

oh sure, you said what the point of my post was in only a paragraph instead of
three pages. :-P on you ken! :)

abatt...@netscape.net

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
Mike Kaspar <mikekaspa...@mediaone.net> wrote:
> shaman that is a fate worse than death...no matter what you do, your stuck
> with it.

there's an NPC in temple of sol ro that you can use keyword phrases to erase
your specialization. i know of a shaman that changed from evocation (was
nuking too much in a group, heheh) and practised up his alteration
immeditately :)

Sergey Dashevskiy

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
In article <MvdO4.82803$U4.7...@news1.rdc1.az.home.com>, abattoir23
@netscape.net says...

> Ken Andrews <gobble@degook> wrote:
> >>Any opinions?
>
> > Put one point into each of the Specializations. Ignore them from then on.
> > Let your own preferred casting pattern determine which one gets past 50
> > first. Whatever you do the most of will decide what you need the high
> > Specialization in.
>
> oh sure, you said what the point of my post was in only a paragraph instead of
> three pages. :-P on you ken! :)

I knew that I wanted to specialize in alteration. I put 1 point into
each. With the amount I cast cannibalize, by the time alteration went
over 50, the others were raised by just a few points

Matt Frisch

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:12:08 GMT, abatt...@netscape.net scribed into the
ether:
[snippage]
>Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>> The other little conjures we get (food, spirit pouches, etc)
>
>i have not summoned a spirit pouch for myself since they made the no rent
>change (where no rent items poof when you go LD). i haven't summoned food or
>water since about level 14, since it was easier and took less time to buy my
>food/water. i summon these things for other people when requested, but that
>is rare.

How odd, I bring out spirit pouches all the time. For weight
considerations, I carry only 4 backpacks, 1 slot for a lightstone, leaving
3 for the optional addition of a pouch if I get too much loot, or the stuff
gets too heavy (like mammoth tusks, although that isn't the perfect example
as halas is so near).

They are a great way to make friends with monks...

And as for food/water...I guesstimate that I've saved 40-50 platinum in the
last couple months by not buying any of my food or water. Finding the
food/water merchant can often be a pain in the ass when not in a town I
know well, and worse of a pain in the ass is going back TO the merchant
when I could just stay put and summon.

Morgan

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00

Oh, it's not that bad. I usually buy 60 food and 60 water at once.
That is 30 hours of play time, so I don't have to do this more than
once every week or two. The general adventurer supply merchant has
bread for 16cp and water for 10cp, so my full restock costs about
1.5pp total. Even if you have terrible faction and charisma, you
probably aren't paying more than twice that.

I prefer to summon or forage food and water if I can, but I don't
think it makes a huge difference in the long run.

--
Morgan
Xymarra, High Elf Enchanter

(crossposting all posts to rec.games.computer.everquest)

Matt Frisch

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:24:59 -0700, Morgan <mor...@misleading.com> scribed
into the ether:

Even when I was buying food, it was never more than 8-10 at a time. I don't
like having 6 slots of my backpacks eaten by that much grub, and the weight
factors in as well with that much.

Different strokes I suppose.

abatt...@netscape.net

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> How odd, I bring out spirit pouches all the time. For weight
> considerations, I carry only 4 backpacks, 1 slot for a lightstone, leaving
> 3 for the optional addition of a pouch if I get too much loot, or the stuff
> gets too heavy (like mammoth tusks, although that isn't the perfect example
> as halas is so near).

bah. weight considerations. you're a shaman! you have STRENGTH! RAHHH!

i carry 1 light burlap sack, 1 sewn bag of evil eyes, my large sewing kit (for
making new backpacks and other stuff on the go), and the rest filled with 10
slot packs. i got an archeologists pack last night for the hell of it and put
my spare armor/weapon in that. but i'll sell that and get another 10slot for
the spot. :)

why do i have all this carrying space? because i carry my normal supplies
(60 each food/water, bat wings, fish scales), some tailoring items (silk
swatches, heady kiolas, some random patterns), spare equipment/swap out equip
(totemic bracers, gatorsmash maul, froglok crown), whatever i'm lugging around
to sell (currently a couple things off giants in kunark), and a couple gems
that i'm waiting to find a jeweler to make something out of for me (emeralds,
peridots, a fire opal...).

> They are a great way to make friends with monks...

heh. could be, but i haven't even summoned one for a monk in a while.

> And as for food/water...I guesstimate that I've saved 40-50 platinum in the
> last couple months by not buying any of my food or water. Finding the

40-50 plat in two months is less than a plat a day. phooey. i make at least 3p
off anything i kill for experience :).

> food/water merchant can often be a pain in the ass when not in a town I
> know well, and worse of a pain in the ass is going back TO the merchant
> when I could just stay put and summon.

thats why i buy 60 food/water at a time...hehehe

Matt Frisch

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
On Mon, 01 May 2000 16:02:03 GMT, abatt...@netscape.net scribed into the
ether:

>Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>> How odd, I bring out spirit pouches all the time. For weight
>> considerations, I carry only 4 backpacks, 1 slot for a lightstone, leaving
>> 3 for the optional addition of a pouch if I get too much loot, or the stuff
>> gets too heavy (like mammoth tusks, although that isn't the perfect example
>> as halas is so near).
>
>bah. weight considerations. you're a shaman! you have STRENGTH! RAHHH!

Yea, but a barb shaman, not an ogre or troll. My worn armor, bags, and
practice weapons bring me in the vicinity of my unbuffed weight limit. A
handful of balanced or finely made weapons can effortlessly put me over it.

>i carry 1 light burlap sack, 1 sewn bag of evil eyes, my large sewing kit (for
>making new backpacks and other stuff on the go), and the rest filled with 10
>slot packs. i got an archeologists pack last night for the hell of it and put
>my spare armor/weapon in that. but i'll sell that and get another 10slot for
>the spot. :)

Well, having some weight reducing packs is certainly a help. I have 4 store
bought (or some of them are looted off EF goblins, but that is neither here
nor there) 8 slot backpacks, hell, those weigh 12 lbs by themselves, empty.

If I get enough item loot that I have all my slots filled, I guarantee you
that I'm at least 20-50 lbs overweight. It doesn't slow me down
substantially, but that bright red agility really hurts my capacity to hit
things.

>> And as for food/water...I guesstimate that I've saved 40-50 platinum in the
>> last couple months by not buying any of my food or water. Finding the
>
>40-50 plat in two months is less than a plat a day. phooey. i make at least 3p
>off anything i kill for experience :).

I'm a shaman looking to get alchemy...every copper matters :)

>> food/water merchant can often be a pain in the ass when not in a town I
>> know well, and worse of a pain in the ass is going back TO the merchant
>> when I could just stay put and summon.
>
>thats why i buy 60 food/water at a time...hehehe

And why I just summon the stuff :)

Alasdair Allan

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote

> On Mon, 01 May 2000 16:02:03 GMT, abatt...@netscape.net scribed
> >bah. weight considerations. you're a shaman! you have STRENGTH! RAHHH!
>
> Yea, but a barb shaman, not an ogre or troll. My worn armor, bags, and
> practice weapons bring me in the vicinity of my unbuffed weight limit. A
> handful of balanced or finely made weapons can effortlessly put me over
it.

Hmm, I'm a Barb Shaman. I buy 100 food and drink and spend game months away
from town. Fair enough I have a couple of Tinkerer's Bags, Soiled Bag and
Evil Eye Bag (for my wisdom suit). But right now, I've got two suits of
armour, over 800 of each coin type and I'm still not about to be encumbered.

(FYI, the weightless bags are filled with quest components picked up around
Kunark and generally weigh 0.1).

> >i carry 1 light burlap sack, 1 sewn bag of evil eyes, my large sewing kit
(for
> >making new backpacks and other stuff on the go), and the rest filled with
10
> >slot packs. i got an archeologists pack last night for the hell of it
and put
> >my spare armor/weapon in that. but i'll sell that and get another 10slot
for
> >the spot. :)
>
> Well, having some weight reducing packs is certainly a help. I have 4
store
> bought (or some of them are looted off EF goblins, but that is neither
here
> nor there) 8 slot backpacks, hell, those weigh 12 lbs by themselves,
empty.

8 slot backpacks weigh 2 units.

Get weight reducers, they are dirt cheap at the bottom end.

> If I get enough item loot that I have all my slots filled, I guarantee you
> that I'm at least 20-50 lbs overweight. It doesn't slow me down
> substantially, but that bright red agility really hurts my capacity to hit
> things.

Hmm, I never even used to test encumbered when i wore Black Iron (heaviest
Shaman armour) and didn't have a single weight reducer.

> >off anything i kill for experience :).
>
> I'm a shaman looking to get alchemy...every copper matters :)

No, it doesn't.

In the time it takes you to conjure 10 food and drink you could have made
enough money to buy then killing mobs. And you wouldn't lose that if you
went Link Dead.

> >thats why i buy 60 food/water at a time...hehehe
>
> And why I just summon the stuff :)

I gave up summoning at level 16. It simply is not worth the effort. I
still keep the spells in the middle of my book, they are damn useful when
you're dead and running for a body or waiting for a rez, or when you spend a
fortnight logging off each night in Hate and run out of grub. But for
general use, no way, single nuke a green and use his 3pp to buy all you
need.

--
Alasdair Allan, Ibrox, Glasgow |England - Country where Marx developed
x-st...@null.net | the basis of Communism

Matt Frisch

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
On Tue, 02 May 2000 15:57:19 GMT, "Alasdair Allan"
<posth...@x-static.demon.co.uk> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote
>> On Mon, 01 May 2000 16:02:03 GMT, abatt...@netscape.net scribed
>> >bah. weight considerations. you're a shaman! you have STRENGTH! RAHHH!
>>
>> Yea, but a barb shaman, not an ogre or troll. My worn armor, bags, and
>> practice weapons bring me in the vicinity of my unbuffed weight limit. A
>> handful of balanced or finely made weapons can effortlessly put me over
>it.
>
>Hmm, I'm a Barb Shaman. I buy 100 food and drink and spend game months away
>from town. Fair enough I have a couple of Tinkerer's Bags, Soiled Bag and
>Evil Eye Bag (for my wisdom suit). But right now, I've got two suits of
>armour, over 800 of each coin type and I'm still not about to be encumbered.
>
>(FYI, the weightless bags are filled with quest components picked up around
>Kunark and generally weigh 0.1).

Yes, the weight reducer packs do help a lot. They wouldn't affect how much
extra equipment I carry...a pile of bat wings, a pile of fish scales, an
offhand item for when using 1H (currently a jhen'tra skull, I need to head
to SolA and get a CGS, but I'm having too much fun in kunark), and the 2 1H
weapons I keep for practicing when I get levels. No complete sets of armor.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it, even if I did have abu-kar boxes or tinker bags
or the various dragon satchels. Not much reason that I can see.

>> Well, having some weight reducing packs is certainly a help. I have 4
>store
>> bought (or some of them are looted off EF goblins, but that is neither
>here
>> nor there) 8 slot backpacks, hell, those weigh 12 lbs by themselves,
>empty.
>
>8 slot backpacks weigh 2 units.

Err, not sure which backpacks you mean, but mine are 3 lbs apiece.

>Get weight reducers, they are dirt cheap at the bottom end.

I do need to embark on an upgrade program, now that my bank account has
recovered from my dufrenite habit. Containers will be part of it.

>> If I get enough item loot that I have all my slots filled, I guarantee you
>> that I'm at least 20-50 lbs overweight. It doesn't slow me down
>> substantially, but that bright red agility really hurts my capacity to hit
>> things.
>
>Hmm, I never even used to test encumbered when i wore Black Iron (heaviest
>Shaman armour) and didn't have a single weight reducer.

*boggle* Not sure how you manage that. I use almost pure totemic at the
moment (which is the lightest (not counting leather or patchwork) armor
that I know of), and looting 5 weapons, and nothing else will break my
unbuffed weight limit.

>> >off anything i kill for experience :).
>>
>> I'm a shaman looking to get alchemy...every copper matters :)
>
>No, it doesn't.

Well, hopefully (probably in vain) by the time I start on alchemy, they
will have gone through the price reduction that gordon keeps promising.

Not that I have my hopes up in that department...but I wasn't planning on
starting alchemy til I was around 40th anyway, which would leave plenty of
time for them to make the changes.

>In the time it takes you to conjure 10 food and drink you could have made
>enough money to buy then killing mobs. And you wouldn't lose that if you
>went Link Dead.

For you maybe...

>> >thats why i buy 60 food/water at a time...hehehe
>>
>> And why I just summon the stuff :)
>
>I gave up summoning at level 16. It simply is not worth the effort. I
>still keep the spells in the middle of my book, they are damn useful when
>you're dead and running for a body or waiting for a rez, or when you spend a
>fortnight logging off each night in Hate and run out of grub. But for
>general use, no way, single nuke a green and use his 3pp to buy all you
>need.

The greens that I can single nuke, I would be fortunate to get a single
gold from.

abatt...@netscape.net

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> Yea, but a barb shaman, not an ogre or troll. My worn armor, bags, and
> practice weapons bring me in the vicinity of my unbuffed weight limit. A
> handful of balanced or finely made weapons can effortlessly put me over it.

phooey.

i play a barbarian shaman as well. i have 135 unbuffed strength.

granted, i have ebon war spear (4), tree weave (10), runed mithril bracers (3
each), plat ruby veil (7), totemic boots (5). i carry about 95-100 weight
worth of equipment. though i do swap out the RMBs for totemic (for training
piercing:)) on occassion. but regardless, i walk out of a dungeon after a
weekend filled to the brim with loot of fine steel, hundreds of plat and gold
coins, and simply buff strength and go sell the junk, bank the coin, and call
it a day :).

> Well, having some weight reducing packs is certainly a help. I have 4 store
> bought (or some of them are looted off EF goblins, but that is neither here
> nor there) 8 slot backpacks, hell, those weigh 12 lbs by themselves, empty.

what level are you? the two weight reducers i have are very easy to get,
people let the sewn bag of evil eyes rot in lower guk a lot, and the supplier
group usually lets the burlap sack go since camping for the thick banded belt
nets about 10 sacks :).

> If I get enough item loot that I have all my slots filled, I guarantee you
> that I'm at least 20-50 lbs overweight. It doesn't slow me down
> substantially, but that bright red agility really hurts my capacity to hit
> things.

most of the items i get in loot are either a) fine steel weapons, b)
runes/words/pages. the fine steel adds up, but even after several hours in
guk on free for all looting i don't fill my available inventory.

> I'm a shaman looking to get alchemy...every copper matters :)

hehehehe. i concur. i'm holding off until i get some "phat lewt" i can sell
for plat to pay for my alchemy habit.

>>thats why i buy 60 food/water at a time...hehehe

> And why I just summon the stuff :)

:-P

Kadath

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
>> nor there) 8 slot backpacks, hell, those weigh 12 lbs by themselves,
>empty.
>
>8 slot backpacks weigh 2 units.

Negative, he's right. 3 pounds for EITHER a standard 8 slotter or a
tailored 10 slotter. Sewing kits might be less, but you run the
combine risk.

Wow, I caught Alisdair wrong, do I win a prize?

>Get weight reducers, they are dirt cheap at the bottom end.

Ya, 450 for an Evil eye is a great deal, just wish someone would sell
me a light burlap sack...

Kad

Sergey Dashevskiy

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <8en7n2$1q8p$1...@earth.superlink.net>, spo...@home.com says...

> >> nor there) 8 slot backpacks, hell, those weigh 12 lbs by themselves,
> >empty.
> >
> >8 slot backpacks weigh 2 units.
>
> Negative, he's right. 3 pounds for EITHER a standard 8 slotter or a
> tailored 10 slotter. Sewing kits might be less, but you run the
> combine risk.

After you combine it once, you never do it again. Or I should say that
after making this mistake once, the possibility of doing it again is
less than dropping the bag and not noticing it

> Wow, I caught Alisdair wrong, do I win a prize?

I'm not sure which 8 slot bags he's talking about. He may be right.
Backpacks weigh 3, handmade (10 slot) weigh 3, sewing/fletching kits
weigh 1 or less, not sure

Edward James Kilsdonk

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <MPG.1378f0bc3...@news.msu.edu>,

Sergey Dashevskiy <xi...@tcimet.net> wrote:
>In article <8en7n2$1q8p$1...@earth.superlink.net>, spo...@home.com says...
>> >empty.
>> >
>> >8 slot backpacks weigh 2 units.
>>
>> Negative, he's right. 3 pounds for EITHER a standard 8 slotter or a
>> tailored 10 slotter. Sewing kits might be less, but you run the
>> combine risk.
>
>After you combine it once, you never do it again. Or I should say that
>after making this mistake once, the possibility of doing it again is
>less than dropping the bag and not noticing it

I often end up with loot in my fletching kit.

The trick is to open and close all those combining boxes by
right-clicking on the inventory item. I never try to click the
close button anymore. Much safer, and actually faster and
easier as well.

And, of course, I will re-arrange so that nothing TOO valuable
is in that box. Better to loose the FS weapon I looted than
the dragoon dirk I just swapped out.

Ted K. - who heard enough stories about combining items to be
careful
--
Edward J. Kilsdonk Look, ytte is written in Olde. It muste
Graduate Student, History bee fromme before they invented fpelling.

Alasdair Allan

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Sergey Dashevskiy

>> Wow, I caught Alisdair wrong, do I win a prize?
>
>I'm not sure which 8 slot bags he's talking about. He may be right.
>Backpacks weigh 3, handmade (10 slot) weigh 3, sewing/fletching kits
>weigh 1 or less, not sure

To be honest I misread and thought the implication was that one pack
weighed 12, but now I realise he meant for 4. Bad info on my part as I've
not actually have a Backpack for quite some time.

My current container list is :-

Tax Collectors Box (quest container, 10 slots small) for food/reags
Medicine Bag (6 slots, large - possibly extra large) for extra food
Soiled Bag (10 slots, small, weightless) for Resistance gear, loot
Evil Eye Bag (8 slots, medium, 70% reduction) for my wisdom items
Tinkerer's Bag (2) (10 slots, extra large, weightless) spare weapon/shield
and loot

I keep a Greater Lightstone in one base slot and leave the last one spare.

Had that set up forever now. Works well and I seldom run out of space
unless I'm farming Ice Giants or the like.

--
Regards,
Alasdair

Robert Scott Clark

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Sergey Dashevskiy <xi...@tcimet.net> wrote:

>In article <8en7n2$1q8p$1...@earth.superlink.net>, spo...@home.com says...
>> >empty.
>> >
>> >8 slot backpacks weigh 2 units.
>>
>> Negative, he's right. 3 pounds for EITHER a standard 8 slotter or a
>> tailored 10 slotter. Sewing kits might be less, but you run the
>> combine risk.
>
>After you combine it once, you never do it again. Or I should say that
>after making this mistake once, the possibility of doing it again is
>less than dropping the bag and not noticing it
>

>> Wow, I caught Alisdair wrong, do I win a prize?
>
>I'm not sure which 8 slot bags he's talking about. He may be right.
>Backpacks weigh 3, handmade (10 slot) weigh 3, sewing/fletching kits
>weigh 1 or less, not sure

Sewing is 0.4

I think the fletching is the same.

Matt Frisch

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
On Tue, 02 May 2000 18:17:29 GMT, abatt...@netscape.net scribed into the
ether:

>Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>> Yea, but a barb shaman, not an ogre or troll. My worn armor, bags, and
>> practice weapons bring me in the vicinity of my unbuffed weight limit. A
>> handful of balanced or finely made weapons can effortlessly put me over it.
>
>phooey.
>
>i play a barbarian shaman as well. i have 135 unbuffed strength.

118 unbuffed, 142 with current buff.

>granted, i have ebon war spear (4), tree weave (10), runed mithril bracers (3
>each), plat ruby veil (7), totemic boots (5). i carry about 95-100 weight
>worth of equipment. though i do swap out the RMBs for totemic (for training
>piercing:)) on occassion. but regardless, i walk out of a dungeon after a
>weekend filled to the brim with loot of fine steel, hundreds of plat and gold
>coins, and simply buff strength and go sell the junk, bank the coin, and call
>it a day :).

My stripped bare equipment set (ie: no loot) is 88 lbs, I believe. 3
balanced shan'toks from the lake of ill omen and I am at my unbuffed limit.

Not that I would normally stop there...I go with my str buff at all times,
and one of the nice things about having a 142 str is that I don't get
enough weight to start walking from it until around 250 (which I did right
after kunark went up, before the drop rate on ruined scaled armor was
nerfed all to hell). But 100 food and water would definately screw this up,
plus I'd have to start carrying another backpack to compensate for the loss
of slots. Less room for spirit pouches, more weight from another pack.

>> Well, having some weight reducing packs is certainly a help. I have 4 store
>> bought (or some of them are looted off EF goblins, but that is neither here

>> nor there) 8 slot backpacks, hell, those weigh 12 lbs by themselves, empty.
>

>what level are you?

Just made 31 tonight...I level too damned slow...22 days /played. Ugh.

One comfort, at least I'm not dennis :)

> the two weight reducers i have are very easy to get,
>people let the sewn bag of evil eyes rot in lower guk a lot, and the supplier
>group usually lets the burlap sack go since camping for the thick banded belt
>nets about 10 sacks :).

Well, I've gone maybe 10 feet into upper guk, and couldn't even venture to
tell you where the zone line to Lguk might be located...however, as 34
approaches, I'll probably be heading there fairly soon.

abatt...@netscape.net

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> 118 unbuffed, 142 with current buff.

i didn't have the tree weave before this past weekend, and the RMBs were a
recent addition as well. i believe my STR was hovering around 119-122 a week
or so ago, unbuffed.

> My stripped bare equipment set (ie: no loot) is 88 lbs, I believe. 3
> balanced shan'toks from the lake of ill omen and I am at my unbuffed limit.

i don't know how much shan'toks weigh as i've never even seen one.

my min weight without loot was at 90. now with the tree weave (it weighs 12,
so the +10 strength just means it weighs 2). the weight reducing bags
definately make a lot of difference. i can loot 4 or 5 2h battle axes from
the butcherblock dorfs (they weigh 14 each) and still be under unbuffed
weight. that is if i recall correctly :).

> Not that I would normally stop there...I go with my str buff at all times,
> and one of the nice things about having a 142 str is that I don't get
> enough weight to start walking from it until around 250 (which I did right

i only have the strength buff on if i'm getting close to overweight. or if i'm
timing strength buffs on someone else.

> after kunark went up, before the drop rate on ruined scaled armor was
> nerfed all to hell). But 100 food and water would definately screw this up,
> plus I'd have to start carrying another backpack to compensate for the loss
> of slots. Less room for spirit pouches, more weight from another pack.

100 food/water is a lot. i carry 40 most of the time, 60 if i don't expect to
be back in a town for more than a few days. handmade backpacks are great,
too. the two extra slots made more difference than i thought they would when
i bought my first pack. they're so useful that i took up tailoring :)

> Just made 31 tonight...I level too damned slow...22 days /played. Ugh.

i'm level 43. 48 days /played. at level 30, i think i had 24 days /played.

at level 29 i had my first weight reducer - sewn bag of evil eyes. but i
didn't go to guk to get it myself. i traded a runed circlet for it. :-)

> One comfort, at least I'm not dennis :)

there's more than that reason to take comfort in being Not Dennis.

> Well, I've gone maybe 10 feet into upper guk, and couldn't even venture to
> tell you where the zone line to Lguk might be located...however, as 34
> approaches, I'll probably be heading there fairly soon.

i went there at 33 the first time, on an invite from a guildmate. i got in
the "bed room" group. here's a link to the best goddamn guides i've found for
*guk and sol*.

http://monks.volitionx.com/monkzones.htm

it details pretty much anything and everything about upper/lower guk, and
soldung a/b. definately required reading for anyone planning to go to these
zones. in my opinion anyway. ;)

Matt Frisch

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
On Wed, 03 May 2000 15:46:49 GMT, abatt...@netscape.net scribed into the
ether:

>Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>> 118 unbuffed, 142 with current buff.
>
>i didn't have the tree weave before this past weekend, and the RMBs were a
>recent addition as well. i believe my STR was hovering around 119-122 a week
>or so ago, unbuffed.

Well, a fair portion of my equipment (which needs to be changed out) is
helping me. I still wear a spiked collar, and rusty spiked shoulders. A BI
talisman (or that new imbrued ivory collar that is mentioned on another
thread...drool), and some adamantine epolets would do wonders, but would
torque my strength by another 8 points. Not that I wouldn't make that trade
in a heartbeat mind you...but it would cost more strength.

>> My stripped bare equipment set (ie: no loot) is 88 lbs, I believe. 3
>> balanced shan'toks from the lake of ill omen and I am at my unbuffed limit.
>
>i don't know how much shan'toks weigh as i've never even seen one.

10 lbs. Finely crafted shantoks have the honor of being the game's best
non-magic 1HS, finally supplanting the mino axe. 8/36. And even tho they
look like deer antlers, they have infinitely more style than a mino axe.

>> Not that I would normally stop there...I go with my str buff at all times,
>> and one of the nice things about having a 142 str is that I don't get
>> enough weight to start walking from it until around 250 (which I did right
>
>i only have the strength buff on if i'm getting close to overweight. or if i'm
>timing strength buffs on someone else.

Well, I always like to keep it on, the mana cost to just put it on myself
is minor, I don't have to worry about going overweight as quickly, and if
it happens to help me hit a little harder, I'll take that too.

>> One comfort, at least I'm not dennis :)
>
>there's more than that reason to take comfort in being Not Dennis.

Amen to that, brother.

>> Well, I've gone maybe 10 feet into upper guk, and couldn't even venture to
>> tell you where the zone line to Lguk might be located...however, as 34
>> approaches, I'll probably be heading there fairly soon.
>
>i went there at 33 the first time, on an invite from a guildmate. i got in
>the "bed room" group. here's a link to the best goddamn guides i've found for
>*guk and sol*.
>
>http://monks.volitionx.com/monkzones.htm
>
>it details pretty much anything and everything about upper/lower guk, and
>soldung a/b. definately required reading for anyone planning to go to these
>zones. in my opinion anyway. ;)

Yea, after several threads last night, I decided I needed to know more
about Lguk, even tho I wasn't going in there for at least a little while.
Took several sites, but I finally found that one. The maps on most places
for Lguk are really horrible, which is odd considering how popular a zone
it is.

Michael A. Greenly

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
My erudite shadow knight who regardless of jewelry is still way to weak uses
2 belt pouches to carry food water bonechips and recently zombie skins
used for disease cure at guild ) and 2 largel bags leaving 4 slots empty.
The belt pouches are somethign like 0.4lb but they fit all my small items
just fine. The large bags are 1lb each with 6 slots. That leaves me 4 slots
open for extra large items that don't fit the large bags. I recently
swapped out one of the large bags for a Shralok Pack I looted.

I would never carry store bought backpacks when large bags work almost as
well and are significantly lighter.