Smithing Changes

Lance Berg

Jun 10, 2002, 8:28:35 AM6/10/02
Well, a friend asked me to raise my smithing skill up to help on
that portion of POTC. OK, I'm at 136, the result of a day's
work back when I was young. At the time, I had a lamentably
low wisdom and once I got beyond the pots and pans stage,
I rapidly realized that the skill ups per PP spent weren't going
to work out. I dropped the whole thing thinking perhaps I'd
take it up later when my wisdom was higher... but I never
did because frankly drop armor is just better in almost
every regard. Now there's some player made stuff that
-would- be nice, but I didn't have that carrot in front of
me when it was really interesting.

OK, well having done smithing to 186 on a previous account,
I knew that getting to 175 would be a simple matter of
throwing some cash in and spending an evening doing banded
while fending off exp group requests. From there there would
be some annoying work collecting leather padding, maybe an
alt who was getting exp off the mobs would be in order...

But NO. Since the most recent patch, trivials on smithing have
been dropped down significantly. Suddenly the highest trivial
on banded is 115, far below my current skill. I'm looking at
some Ornate Chain just to get up to 175 (expensive types, too,
ranging up to where spending 100 pp on a platinum bar per
attempt will be necessary) and then FS plate, which isn't going
to go much higher, the high end of -that- is 188 for the BP.

Armor over and above FS plate looks like cultural (nightmare
getting temper ingrediants, one reason my original smith never
managed to make any cultural at all) or Acrylia, which seems
to drop rarely at best, off green to me mobs of course.

At any rate, purpose of this post. Help me hash out a plan
to raise smithing with as little expenditure of massive cash
and of green killing time as possible. I'll spend more to
avoid too much greenies, I'll kill to avoid too massive a
cost layout... somewhere in there is a sweet spot route.

Would help if we had all the new trivials nailed down of course,
is there a source other than EQ traders?

Bergh Brelltender
59 cleric, Morell Thule
sad little 136 smith

Lance Berg

Jun 10, 2002, 8:35:50 AM6/10/02

Lance Berg wrote:

> At any rate, purpose of this post. Help me hash out a plan
> to raise smithing with as little expenditure of massive cash
> and of green killing time as possible. I'll spend more to
> avoid too much greenies, I'll kill to avoid too massive a
> cost layout... somewhere in there is a sweet spot route.

Armor route one:

Ornate Chain Tunic 136 to 138
Electrum Ornate Chain various pieces till 149 (mail)
Gold Ornate Chain various till 151, then Mail till it caps
estimated 155
Platinum Ornate Chain up from there to maybe 160
FS plate various to 188... really like to nail down the progression

Alternate Route
Platinum Ornate Chain in likely order of difficulty till I have
a full set for my bard, and then move straight to FS plate
no matter how far along I am... figuring the higher trivial
is offset by the attempts being much cheaper... and setting
up some lowbies to bring in padding wholesale

Bergh the cheap lazy smith

Kevy D

Jun 10, 2002, 11:33:54 AM6/10/02
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:28:35 GMT, Lance Berg <emp...@dejazzd.com>
wrote:

>Well, a friend asked me to raise my smithing skill up to help on
>that portion of POTC. OK, I'm at 136, the result of a day's
>work back when I was young. At the time, I had a lamentably
>low wisdom and once I got beyond the pots and pans stage,
>I rapidly realized that the skill ups per PP spent weren't going
>to work out. I dropped the whole thing thinking perhaps I'd
>take it up later when my wisdom was higher... but I never
>did because frankly drop armor is just better in almost
>every regard. Now there's some player made stuff that
>-would- be nice, but I didn't have that carrot in front of
>me when it was really interesting.

What is the POTC? Protection of the Cabbage? There is a very simple
quest for that now that take about 20 mins and no more than 900pp.
Everything is merchant bought.

Ben Haddick

Jun 10, 2002, 12:53:05 PM6/10/02

"Kevy D" <afd...@faew.com> wrote in message

Yes, but the original quest still gives a VERY nice druid only earring with
DL port clickable, and you can switch it with an NPC for an also very nice
all/all earring with FT1 on it. (if I do the full quest, I'll probably
stick with the FT earring heh.)

Ben Haddick

Jun 10, 2002, 12:56:56 PM6/10/02

"Lance Berg" <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote in message

There's also the new deathsteel weapons if you're masochistic like me and
slaughtering Droga/Nurga anyways for Chardok faction.

Some of the weapons have trivials in the 150-170 range

I just wish the tempers didn't consume my beloved mt. death mineral salts.

There's also the firebrand weapons, which also require farming greenies, but
they trivial higher I believe.

James Grahame

Jun 10, 2002, 1:22:22 PM6/10/02

"Ben Haddick" <bhad...@SPAMISBADhotmail.com> wrote in message

> Yes, but the original quest still gives a VERY nice druid only earring
with
> DL port clickable, and you can switch it with an NPC for an also very nice
> all/all earring with FT1 on it. (if I do the full quest, I'll probably
> stick with the FT earring heh.)

Do the quest twice, get both. If you can find people to do the combines
for one set of items, you can take the time to gather the ingredients for a
second earring at the same time. Unless you're already doing high-end raids,
or got lucky in Cazic Thule, you aren't going to find better earrings for
quite some time.

James <---- almost done his Earring of the Solstice

Richard

Jun 10, 2002, 1:30:28 PM6/10/02
"Lance Berg" <emp...@dejazzd.com> wrote in message

Go to the ever popular www.eqtraders.com, poke around on the message boards
there, you will find all the very disappointing information you need there.
I was fortunate enough to have gotten two of my characters up to 175 or
higher prepatch, one long before the patch was even rumored, the other as a
direct result of knowing the patch was upcoming.

--
Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Mystic of 54 seasons, Erollisi Marr <The
Appointed>

Ben Haddick

Jun 10, 2002, 1:53:33 PM6/10/02

"James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

It would help if I wasn't slightly poor, only 10k to my name now, and that
would barely be enough to get the components for the first one (only guy on
the server that publicly makes golden idols is a bastard, just doubled his
price on the tunare one to 4k, no way I'm buying that, he even said he has
way too many imbued emeralds already, and that's the bottleneck of the
recipe besides mana vial)

At least my baking and brewing are high enough to get those done without too
much trouble, and I know an enchanter that I can get to enchant the stuff
that needs it, or for the JC combines. The lotus pie is a bit of a
bottleneck though, since no one hardly ever kills them.

I'll probably go insane on the tailoring part though.

James Grahame

Jun 10, 2002, 3:31:34 PM6/10/02

> "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > Do the quest twice, get both. If you can find people to do the
> > combines
> > for one set of items, you can take the time to gather the ingredients
for
> > second earring at the same time. Unless you're already doing high-end
> > raids,
> > or got lucky in Cazic Thule, you aren't going to find better earrings
for
> > quite some time.
>
> It would help if I wasn't slightly poor, only 10k to my name now

Heh - I JUST got to 20 K for the first time in my playing career, and
that was by selling a Mana Preservation III item off my monk for 15 K.

> and that
> would barely be enough to get the components for the first one (only guy
on
> the server that publicly makes golden idols is a bastard, just doubled his
> price on the tunare one to 4k, no way I'm buying that, he even said he has
> way too many imbued emeralds already, and that's the bottleneck of the
> recipe besides mana vial)

Imbued Emeralds are the bottleneck? Buy an emerald off a vendor, hand it
to a high elf cleric (or a cleric like me that beat the nerf - I can imbue
just about anything). The mana vial is tougher than that, since it requires
a higher-level enchanter and the sapphires are more expensive. The REAL
bottleneck is the Divine Crystalline Glaze - the Iron Oxide spawns in
Steamfront are now perma-camped on my server, which means killing elementals
for the rare drop IO. Truth be told, if you had a level 8 enchanter to be an
Enchant Clay mule for you and a Geerlock pottery item you could get to 220s
or so in pottery quite cheaply, which is enough to have about a 30% shot at
the Idol. The expense at the Opal Encrusted Stein stage would be partially
offset by Stein sales to some degree - I can usually sell a half dozen every
time I log in the sales mule, at 75 pp each.

> At least my baking and brewing are high enough to get those done without
too
> much trouble, and I know an enchanter that I can get to enchant the stuff
> that needs it, or for the JC combines.

The robe is a bottleneck for the quest as a whole, since 250 skill
tailors are not easy to find. I might end up pruchasing that from someone on
our server that sells them for 4 K each.

> The lotus pie is a bit of a
> bottleneck though, since no one hardly ever kills them.

Get a group and go whack them between mushroom pulls. They drop the junk
you need fairly often.

Right now I have my Pie, Champagne, Picnic, and Stein finished. I have
the Sickle pieces ready for our 250 smith to hit "combine" on (and can make
them again if required with my 180 + Geerlock smithing), a 200 Fishing
guildmate is hitting combine for several of us to get the Pole, a guildmate
is giving me some Cabbages in exchange for my imbuing work (and at 182
Baking I can do the combine easy), and if I'm lazy and don't want to take my
time with my 196 + Geerlock Pottery making the Idol a guildmate at 230 +
Geerlock will do it for materials. Just that damned Robe to really arrange -
have to send that tailor a tell today.

James

Dark Tyger

Jun 10, 2002, 3:50:00 PM6/10/02
"James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>> It would help if I wasn't slightly poor, only 10k to my name now
>
> Heh - I JUST got to 20 K for the first time in my playing career, and
>that was by selling a Mana Preservation III item off my monk for 15 K.

Okay, people talking about 10K and 20K being "slightly poor" around me
when I've never had 8K total among all my characters... ><

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Email me at comcast.net
=^..^=

"This is espresso, kid. It's, like, coffee-zilla"
-Dean, The Iron Giant
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=133230

Lance Berg

Jun 10, 2002, 3:44:35 PM6/10/02

Kevy D wrote:

Unfortunately its also competely useless... results in some lame druid
spell thats no drop.

The original POTC quest also results in that same spell, of course,
but MY reason for wanting to do it would be the very nice earring
that also results. Of course my Druid friend will also appreciate the
spell (more than I will anyway!) but will want to do the quest twice,
as it results in -two- nice earrings for her, one druid only and the
other the same one I'm angling for.

POTC isn't -quite- as lame as I make out, actually I'll be glad to
see her get it, as I can't think of a spell I'd less like to have on me
than POTG, and we partner a lot; having a single target spell
means she'll spend less mana keeping it on herself and we won't have
to disband and regroup every time she wants to refresh it. Still,
for my -cleric- its beyond lame to the point of discarding.

Bergh Brelltender
59 Cleric, Morell Thule

Ben Haddick

Jun 10, 2002, 4:28:19 PM6/10/02

> "Ben Haddick" <bhad...@SPAMISBADhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Do the quest twice, get both. If you can find people to do the
> > > combines
> > > for one set of items, you can take the time to gather the ingredients
> for
> > > second earring at the same time. Unless you're already doing high-end
> > > raids,
> > > or got lucky in Cazic Thule, you aren't going to find better earrings
> for
> > > quite some time.
> >
> > It would help if I wasn't slightly poor, only 10k to my name now
>
> Heh - I JUST got to 20 K for the first time in my playing career, and
> that was by selling a Mana Preservation III item off my monk for 15 K.

I had 17k at one point, then spent 15 on a Jade Reaver, then got up to 5k,
spent 4 on a cloak, now I'm back up to 9.5k after spending 3.3k on a Shadel
ring, 900 on Spirit of Eagle, 600 in Foliage Shield, and 400 on Blizzard.

Damn. I have 21 Iron Oxides on my tradeskill crap mule. I hadn't noticed
that the DCG needed them, or I would've said that was more of a bottleneck.
I had found a stack of iron oxide on a noam vendor back before the may 8
patch, hehe, then got one more off a newbie for 5pp last week (he said it
dropped from an earth elemental near the mino caves in Steamfont)

Guy that wants 4k for the Golden Idol of Tunare is selling the steins, 100
for opal and 300 for star ruby, the star ruby one is the PotC one, not opal.
Though I might pick up an opal or two for buy/sell gear.

> > At least my baking and brewing are high enough to get those done without
> too
> > much trouble, and I know an enchanter that I can get to enchant the
stuff
> > that needs it, or for the JC combines.
>
> The robe is a bottleneck for the quest as a whole, since 250 skill
> tailors are not easy to find. I might end up pruchasing that from someone
on
> our server that sells them for 4 K each.

Didn't mention tailoring, but ok.

> > The lotus pie is a bit of a
> > bottleneck though, since no one hardly ever kills them.
>
> Get a group and go whack them between mushroom pulls. They drop the
junk
> you need fairly often.

Yes, it would help a whole lot if I COULD get a group there. My group
experiences lately are like this:

You have entered an_level_appropriate_hunting_place_05
/lfg on
You shout "54 druid LFG"
An_annoying_gimp_melee_05 tells you "can i get a port to wc plz"
You reply "sorry, busy"
A_stupid_melee_group_leader_02 shouts "Group looking for
cleric/enchanter/rogue/shaman PST"
Alt_Twink_Rogue_038 shouts "51 rouge lfg"
Some_group shouts "Rogue to our camp site"
You shout "54 druid LFG"
A_mob_no_one_ever_kills_056291 tells you "boring isn't it?"
10 minutes later...
You begin casting Gate.
/lfg off

> Right now I have my Pie, Champagne, Picnic, and Stein finished. I have
> the Sickle pieces ready for our 250 smith to hit "combine" on (and can
make
> them again if required with my 180 + Geerlock smithing), a 200 Fishing
> guildmate is hitting combine for several of us to get the Pole, a
guildmate
> is giving me some Cabbages in exchange for my imbuing work (and at 182
> Baking I can do the combine easy), and if I'm lazy and don't want to take
my
> time with my 196 + Geerlock Pottery making the Idol a guildmate at 230 +
> Geerlock will do it for materials. Just that damned Robe to really
arrange -
> have to send that tailor a tell today.

Good luck.

Richard

Jun 10, 2002, 4:56:02 PM6/10/02
"Dark Tyger" <dark...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "James Grahame" <jamesg...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> >> It would help if I wasn't slightly poor, only 10k to my name now
> >
> > Heh - I JUST got to 20 K for the first time in my playing career, and
> >that was by selling a Mana Preservation III item off my monk for 15 K.
>
> Okay, people talking about 10K and 20K being "slightly poor" around me
> when I've never had 8K total among all my characters... ><

I once held 14k for a few brief moments while xferring it for a friend. I
think that the maximum I have actually personally had is between 4 and 5k.

kaev

Jun 10, 2002, 7:12:59 PM6/10/02
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:31:34 GMT, "James Grahame"
<jamesg...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>The expense at the Opal Encrusted Stein stage would be partially
>offset by Stein sales to some degree - I can usually sell a half dozen every
>time I log in the sales mule, at 75 pp each.

ROFL, 75pp makes you a nice profit? I am sure glad I've been ignoring
the folks auctioning them for 175 to 250.

Kaev
everything i ever needed to know i learned from a.g.e (well, almost)

Whittleberry

Jun 10, 2002, 10:41:03 PM6/10/02
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:53:33 -0500, "Ben Haddick"
<bhad...@SPAMISBADhotmail.com> wrote:

>It would help if I wasn't slightly poor, only 10k to my name now, and that
>would barely be enough to get the components for the first one (only guy on
>the server that publicly makes golden idols is a bastard, just doubled his
>price on the tunare one to 4k, no way I'm buying that,

4k for a single idol? Ouch. I found someone selling the idol & stein
together for 3k. I probably dropped 7-8k getting my earring, which I
promptly traded in for the Earring of the Solstice.

Whittleberry

Davian

Jun 11, 2002, 1:56:50 AM6/11/02

> Armor over and above FS plate looks like cultural (nightmare
> getting temper ingrediants, one reason my original smith never
> managed to make any cultural at all) or Acrylia, which seems
> to drop rarely at best, off green to me mobs of course.

Acryllia drops pretty well in the Deep, which is one of the best level 60 exp
zones in the game.

John M Clancy

Jun 11, 2002, 1:13:46 PM6/11/02

"kaev" <gas...@nospam.yuck.net> wrote in message news:3d0531ee...@news.visi.com...

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:31:34 GMT, "James Grahame"
> <jamesg...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> >The expense at the Opal Encrusted Stein stage would be partially
> >offset by Stein sales to some degree - I can usually sell a half dozen every
> >time I log in the sales mule, at 75 pp each.
> >

> ROFL, 75pp makes you a nice profit? I am sure glad I've been ignoring
> the folks auctioning them for 175 to 250.

They have been going for 30-50pp on my server. Market is flooded.

--
Go here and click every day:
http://www.thehungersite.com

James Grahame

Jun 11, 2002, 3:21:52 PM6/11/02

"Whittleberry" <whittl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I'm down to just needing the robe, which I can buy from someone my guild
knows for 4 K. Now THAT is a nice enterprise - assuming he can get silk
swatches, and can imbue emeralds, he can skill up on the Robe combines from
skill 160 all the way to 250 and still make money. Each combine takes about
50 pp of materials and three silk swatches, huntable almost anywhere, making
this the cheapest and easiest way to raise Tailoring past 158. He also has,
at skill 160, the minimum 3% chance of success on any combine. So his cost
per robe is, on average, (100/3)x50pp or roughly 1600 pp. I just wish I had
the time to do the same....

But I digress. Person selling Idols on my server was selling for 3 K. I
was impatient, decided I wanted it rather than wait for my soon-to-be
harried guildmate to log on (it was an earring frenzy last night). I offered
her 9 Divine Crystalline Glazes (she usually buys those for 200 each), a
Lucky Cabbage, and two of the twines needed for the fishing rod (after the
combine with Dragon Egg Oil). Yay me on new idol! In general, a tradeskiller
will value tradeskill supplies a lot more than you might expect because it
lets them make more cash as opposed to wasting time hunting for stuff.

James