The only real way to get rid of TWINKING

Kyle

Mar 17, 2001, 5:04:58 PM3/17/01
The only way to get rid of twinking that will work is having single
character servers. I have heard that "Horizons" will have servers like this,
and that seems to get the job done.

Mark Bradshaw

Mar 17, 2001, 5:28:10 PM3/17/01

1: There is no problem with twinking.

2: One character per server would be a huge, huge, HUGE mistake.

Eric San Juan

Mar 17, 2001, 6:03:53 PM3/17/01
"Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote in message

Just once, I'd like to see a solid explanation as to *why* twinking needs to
be gotten rid of. Just one.

Danny

Mar 17, 2001, 6:12:12 PM3/17/01
That wouldn't stop a higher level friend or guildmate from obtaining these
for you and giving them to you (Wish I had someone that nice :)

Danny

Maarten W.G. Andriessen

Mar 17, 2001, 6:24:37 PM3/17/01

"Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote in message

Uh... why would you want to get rid of twinking your character? I don't see
the problem....

Maarten

Al Vazquez

Mar 17, 2001, 6:37:12 PM3/17/01
Ok let's talk about the real issue with twinking. I'm on my first character. I
was twinked in a very meager sense. I received a thex mallet to fight with,
split-paw hide gloves and tunic, and that was about it. Then I went out and
bought really basic stuff to fit in my armor slots. Eventually, the weight got
to me, so I went to Guk to get lighter pants and the like. While medding,
someone walked up to me, didn't say a thing and traded me a Runed Circlet for
nothing. I took it and wen ton my way. You know what happened to me. Someone
in this news group told me to put my Thex mallet in the range slot, I threw it
at a skeleton and never got it back. While trying to pick up my items of my
corpse, I picked up my runed circlet and got attacked and accidentally dropped
it, then died, and when I got back after getting invis, it had disappeared. My
point is, if newbies get twinked a little, it's ok. They're dumb, it won't
matter. If an older user gets twinked a little, good, it helps them get through
the lower levels faster. But if someone cares enough to give their level 5 char
full crafted and some serious weaponry, the only thing they will ever do in the
game is kill shit, sell shit, and buy shit. Personally, I felt really good when
I EARNED my first pair of chain mail pants by fighting orcs. I didn't even know
there was a named spawn or that he dropped anything. Total surprise to me. And
I earned my pants. Twinking isn't a problem because the only people who lose
anything are the twinked, they lose a certain feeling of success. And maybe
they don't care, and if not, twink away. But I want to fight for what I get and
I will. No one's force feeding me Screaming Maces or what have you.

Maleik - Cleric of Innoruuk - Fennin Ro

Kyle

Mar 17, 2001, 6:52:17 PM3/17/01

"Mark Bradshaw" <mark...@abts.net> wrote in message

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:04:58 -0500, "Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote:

> 2: One character per server would be a huge, huge, HUGE mistake.

Why would it be a huge mistake? Just have one new server that you can only
make one character on. It'll be good for roleplaying becuase you can't make
mules, and if you are new to the game, you won't have knowledge of other
areas because you would only be playing as that one character. It would be
like seeing the EQ world for the first time from the perspective of that
character. In addition, twinking would be severely reduced because of not
being able to have two characters on that one server. The reason I think
twinking is a problem is it ruins the economy and the overall EQ experience
when you are the same level as someone else, but they have equipment light
years ahead of you. Just my opinion...

John M Clancy

Mar 17, 2001, 8:05:48 PM3/17/01

"Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote in message news:tb7u9pr...@corp.supernews.com...

> "Mark Bradshaw" <mark...@abts.net> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:04:58 -0500, "Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote:
>
> > 2: One character per server would be a huge, huge, HUGE mistake.
>
> Why would it be a huge mistake? Just have one new server that you can only
> make one character on. It'll be good for roleplaying becuase you can't make
> mules, and if you are new to the game, you won't have knowledge of other
> areas because you would only be playing as that one character. It would be
> like seeing the EQ world for the first time from the perspective of that
> character. In addition, twinking would be severely reduced because of not
> being able to have two characters on that one server. The reason I think
> twinking is a problem is it ruins the economy

The economy seems just fine to me. Simple supply and demand rules apply.

> and the overall EQ experience
> when you are the same level as someone else, but they have equipment light
> years ahead of you.

So basically you are just jealous? Get over it.

> Just my opinion...

Spend your energy and time worrying about playing the game and having fun.
Other peoples twinked characters have no real bearing on your own.

Twinking is only a PERCEIVED problem.

Gary Francis

Mar 17, 2001, 8:50:11 PM3/17/01
This won't affect a serious player that much, because it ignores the best
method of twinking, anyway...which is multiple accounts. (and comps and
connections, etc)

With 2 accounts you not only can hand items straight to your alt, your
higher lvl char can bodyguard the lower...

Flynn

Mar 17, 2001, 9:45:50 PM3/17/01

Kyle <k...@snip.net> wrote in message

First off, there's nothing wrong with twinking. They are your characters to
do with as you wish and if someone frowns on your "twink" just ignore them
and go about your business. If you feel it's not right to twink, then don't.
Play your way.

Second, "Horizons" will lose a lot of customers -- me included if I decide
to try it -- if there is only one character allowed per account.

My two copper

Kyle

Mar 17, 2001, 11:28:13 PM3/17/01
"Flynn" <ross...@zianet.com> wrote in message

> First off, there's nothing wrong with twinking. They are your characters
> do with as you wish and if someone frowns on your "twink" just ignore them
> and go about your business. If you feel it's not right to twink, then
don't.
> Play your way.
>
> Second, "Horizons" will lose a lot of customers -- me included if I decide
> to try it -- if there is only one character allowed per account.
>
> My two copper

There will probably only be a few one character servers, and the rest will
be normal. The only reason they are having servers like that is to promote
roleplaying and discourage mules and twinks. Also, I think people will feel
like they are in the game and roleplay more with one charatcer servers. It
will keep the game alive.

Mark Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2001, 3:49:50 AM3/18/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:52:17 -0500, "Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote:

>"Mark Bradshaw" <mark...@abts.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:04:58 -0500, "Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote:
>
>> 2: One character per server would be a huge, huge, HUGE mistake.
>
>Why would it be a huge mistake? Just have one new server that you can only
>make one character on. It'll be good for roleplaying becuase you can't make
>mules, and if you are new to the game, you won't have knowledge of other
>areas because you would only be playing as that one character. It would be
>like seeing the EQ world for the first time from the perspective of that
>character. In addition, twinking would be severely reduced because of not
>being able to have two characters on that one server.

And you'd better pray to god you *really* like that one character
your'e allocated, or that you never become bored with it and want to
play another. Or hope that your friends don't need some help in some
godforsaken corner of the world that your main can't get to.

>The reason I think
>twinking is a problem is it ruins the economy

Without twinking, there would be no EQ economy at all. Think about
that.

Bert Ulrich

Mar 18, 2001, 3:47:27 AM3/18/01
No. The only way to get rid of twinking would be to make every item no
drop. Further, I suggest you devote your attention to the cause of the
problem, not the symptom....or perceived sympton in your case.

Aamen Palantir
Fennin Ro
--
"Your foes seem endless, their tales unknown."

Mark Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2001, 3:54:43 AM3/18/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:34:27 -0800, bizbee <tub...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>Yn erthygl <tb7u9pr...@corp.supernews.com>, sgrifenws "Kyle"

>How does this ruin the economy?
>Can I venture a guess that you don't have any character of a high
>enough level to significantly help any of your lower characters
>out.....?

That's the only thing I can figure. Like somebody said in the other
twink whine thread, twinking is only a "problem" when you can't do it,
when you finally can, it becomes a "feature". Hell, I used to think
the same myself, jealous of the full rubicite twinks running around in
Blackburrow.

Fact of the matter is, if you have an alt (and everybody has an alt)
then you will twink at some point in the future. even if it's
something as "harmless" as giving your alt some spare bronze armor
that you can't unload, that's still equipment and items that alt never
got on their own, and thus twinking.

It's a fact of life. I'd suggest these guys get accept it, get used
to it, and enjoy it. Hell, without twinking, do you ever think we'd
see the days of 800 plat Ykeshas and 3k plat SMRs?

Mark Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2001, 3:57:46 AM3/18/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:03:53 GMT, "Eric San Juan" <shoeg...@usa.net>
wrote:

Jealousy, mainly. There are two essential truths to twinking, first
that we all hated it when we were young, second that we all do it now
that we can.

I'd love to hear this guy's opinions on the issue a couple months from
now.

Graefaxe

Mar 18, 2001, 9:34:37 AM3/18/01
Twinking is an argument of the "haves" vs the "have nots".

Anti-twinks = Communists
Pro-twinks = Capitalist pigs

My only complaint about twinking is some of the people behind the twinks
feeling they need to show off their "phat lewt".

bunboy

Mar 18, 2001, 10:30:15 AM3/18/01
The book that comes with the game encourages it. Talks about giving stuff
to newbies as fun way to play. Rather than just leveling like a maniac.

--
Bunboy,
The people who can smile when things go wrong have found someone else to
"Danny" <Pryda...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kyle

Mar 18, 2001, 12:25:49 PM3/18/01

"bizbee" <tub...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Why can't someone just play a character and not run any mules or
> twinks on a regular server?

Someone could do that, but do you think everyone else will?

Adam Kusnierz

Mar 18, 2001, 10:38:32 AM3/18/01
In article <3ab47822....@news.xtremeol.com>, Mark Bradshaw
<mark...@abts.net> writes

>On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:03:53 GMT, "Eric San Juan" <shoeg...@usa.net>
>wrote:
>
>>"Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote in message
>>> The only way to get rid of twinking that will work is having single
>>> character servers. I have heard that "Horizons" will have servers like
>>this,
>>> and that seems to get the job done.
>>
>>Just once, I'd like to see a solid explanation as to *why* twinking needs to
>>be gotten rid of. Just one.
>

>Jealousy, mainly. There are two essential truths to twinking, first
>that we all hated it when we were young, second that we all do it now
>that we can.

Not quite how it works. You are trying to argue that initial characters
won't get twinked because they lack opportunity. Not so. When I first
started I wouldn't accept gifts from my friends (and their friends) that
started playing earlier and were some 30-40 levels above me. I wanted to
_earn_ those items.

IMO giving stuff away creates 'gimme' kind of players. I do find it
strange that nobody sees anything wrong with giving stuff away then they
spend most of their time complaining about newbies begging all the time
demanding not only items and plat, but also ports sows and buffs.
I believe primary characters should not be twinked at all. For alts it
doesn't matter, because the player is already 'made' by then.

And sure, I do it now that I can. If I find something that I know
someone I know has an alt that could use it I will keep it for them (not
too long though). Otherwise I'll give it to pet to use or sell to
merchants (and anyone can buy it cheaply there). What I won't do is give
it to a passing stranger as it may well be their main character.

>I'd love to hear this guy's opinions on the issue a couple months from
>now.

I hope they won't be as simplistic as yours.

--
Adam Kusnierz

Adam Kusnierz

Mar 18, 2001, 10:27:10 AM3/18/01
In article <3ab47625....@news.xtremeol.com>, Mark Bradshaw
<mark...@abts.net> writes

>On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:52:17 -0500, "Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote:

[...]

>>The reason I think
>>twinking is a problem is it ruins the economy
>
>Without twinking, there would be no EQ economy at all. Think about
>that.

Hmmm... doesn't look like you have done any thinking about it, Mark.
Invite us to do the thinking for you? If twinks are vital component of
EQ's economy there mustn't have been any economy before first twinks
arrived, right?

--
Adam Kusnierz

Mark Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2001, 4:10:16 PM3/18/01

All right, if you need the situation spelled out to you. Play
attention; I'll be using large words here.

We are in an environment where there is no item decay, where there is
potentially an infinite number of any given item, (provided it still
drops in the game) provided the player wants to spend the time to
acquire said item.

Now, let's put these concepts into a game with no twinking whatsoever,
with only one character per account per server, all items nodrop/lore.
Instead of an economy where Ykeshas cost 800 plat a piece, you'd have
froglok corpses full of them littering lower guk, where any low level
fighter type is not only allowed go travel down and loot to their
hearts content, but are in fact *encouraged* to do so. Only nobody
would ever bother, since they're all now carrying around equipment
gathered from other peoples Old Seb/Kael raids.

And besides all that, "twinking" is a very subjective concept.
Literally speaking, it's the process of giving another character items
in which they have not earned themselves. Is it twinking to hand a
Velium longsword to your warrior alt? Is it twinking to give the same
weapon to some level ten stranger you meet in Freeport? Is it
twinking to sell that same weapon to the same person for five plat?
For one plat? For ten? What if instead of that sword, you hand a
starving newbie a stack of foraged berries and water? Is this
twinking? If not, why?

We are playing a game that not only allows twinking, but also
encourages it. It is now in the stages where you may as well consider
twinking a core design element of the game itself.

Rich Griff

Mar 18, 2001, 6:14:23 PM3/18/01
Why get rid of it? Lets face it, EQ is only a mirror of RL.

Bert Ulrich

Mar 18, 2001, 8:07:16 PM3/18/01

> All right, if you need the situation spelled out to you. Play
> attention; I'll be using large words here.

"Play attention"?

> We are in an environment where there is no item decay, where there is
> potentially an infinite number of any given item, (provided it still
> drops in the game) provided the player wants to spend the time to
> acquire said item.

1. No. There is no item decay in the traditional sense, but items do get
removed from the game. Stuff is sold to vendors which lose them when
servers go down, stuff is dropped/destroyed, corpses with items decay and
are lost.

2. Yes, there is potentially an infinite number of any given item....if
drop rates are never adjusted for the next 100 years (ha!). Further,
certain items stop dropping altogether (which I outlined in a previous
thread).

I still don't understand your point, but I'll play along with this argument:
how is making an item so undesirable that nobody wants to acquire it
(current situation) any different from true item decay?

<snip some stuff about infinite Yaks>

If this were true, it would ruin the economy. But I don't see Yaks laying
around Guk currently.....(?)

Arakai

Mar 18, 2001, 8:25:14 PM3/18/01
Alternate viewpoint from a Dark Elf L8 (xev) warrior/smith/tailor (read:
miserably poor peasant):

Twinking is just a class system and hence exceedingly in character. All
those fully armoured armoured level two's (nobles) at the newbie stump are
one of my best sources of income. With bulk plat in their accounts, they
hardly ever bother to loot their kills of the odd silver or two's worth, and
_someone_ has to take the trash out....(grins).

I would say fully half the wolf pelts that got me to my 27 tailoring were
scrounged from kills that "noble" hunters did not deign to loot. Plus - when
I finally reach a respectable level, who would buy all my armour if it
weren't for plat-twinked alt's? All the "peasant" characters are about
(estimates, haven't got that far myself) 10 levels higher before they can
afford it, and have been out hunting so may have already looted better.

BTW - not twinking really, REALLY sucks. As an example of a non twinked
(peasant) character I currently have half a set of patchwork (cannot buy the
patterns for the other half in Neriak) and a tarnished two hander at level
8. Today was a turning point - I just sold my stockpile of bone chip stacks
to make enough plat to buy a longbow and arrows before I get too high to
raise archery safely.

This has been a hard road and exceedingly "un-fun". If I wanted to have
"un-fun" I would do it cheaper and just watch Oprah, the only thing that has
been keeping me going is the light at the end of the tunnel of knowing I
won't have to do it again.

Mark Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2001, 8:41:35 PM3/18/01
On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 01:07:16 GMT, "Bert Ulrich"
<bul...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Mark Bradshaw" <mark...@abts.net> wrote in message
>> All right, if you need the situation spelled out to you. Play
>> attention; I'll be using large words here.
>
>"Play attention"?
>
>> We are in an environment where there is no item decay, where there is
>> potentially an infinite number of any given item, (provided it still
>> drops in the game) provided the player wants to spend the time to
>> acquire said item.
>

>If this were true, it would ruin the economy. But I don't see Yaks laying
>around Guk currently.....(?)

Right. Because they are not no drop, and there's a swift market of
twinks willing to buy the things. Make them nodrop, and everybody on
the server will have the damned things (and sooner or later, one of
every item in the game, limited only by bank space) for free.
Risk/Reward gone to hell.

Dark Tyger

Mar 18, 2001, 11:04:38 PM3/18/01
JeffS <je...@spam.sux.pobox.com> wrote:

>While I agree that twinking violates the spirit of rpging

How so? Your character can't have a wealthy relative that wants to see
he's equipped for the dangers ahead?

Frankly, everyone starting out almost totally empty-handed is worse
for RP, you can't RP a wealthy background properly unless you twink...

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Change "tyger" to "half" to email me

Tenchi: Nnn, ehhh, trivial question, but did I reeeaallly have to take my clothes off?
Washu: Eh hehehe, no!
(Tenchi, Washu - Tenchi Muyo OAV 11))

Sean Kennedy

Mar 18, 2001, 11:19:14 PM3/18/01

Mark Bradshaw <mark...@abts.net> wrote in message

We already see this with the DE illusion masks for bards (and rogues?) -
If you can get to the assassin room, you can usually get one,
they just rot on the corpses for the most part.

Mark Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2001, 11:32:15 PM3/18/01

Yup. Fleshrippers and Painbringers can usually be gotten for free as
well, to anybody willing to venture down into the dungeon and loot one
without fighting a thing. And if that's not twinking, I don't know
what is.

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 19, 2001, 2:22:05 AM3/19/01
And that would stop people with 2 accounts how?

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 19, 2001, 2:37:08 AM3/19/01

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:03:53 GMT, "Eric San Juan" <shoeg...@usa.net>
> wrote:
>
> >"Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote in message
> >> The only way to get rid of twinking that will work is having single
> >> character servers. I have heard that "Horizons" will have servers like
> >this,
> >> and that seems to get the job done.
> >
> >Just once, I'd like to see a solid explanation as to *why* twinking needs
> >be gotten rid of. Just one.
>

> Jealousy, mainly. There are two essential truths to twinking, first
> that we all hated it when we were young, second that we all do it now
> that we can.

Not entirely true. Some people never had a problem with it. Some still do
no matter what the level.

Bert Ulrich

Mar 19, 2001, 6:03:41 AM3/19/01

"Mark Bradshaw" <mark...@abts.net> wrote in message
<mega snippage>

> >We already see this with the DE illusion masks for bards (and rogues?) -
> >If you can get to the assassin room, you can usually get one,
> >they just rot on the corpses for the most part.
> >

> Yup. Fleshrippers and Painbringers can usually be gotten for free as
> well, to anybody willing to venture down into the dungeon and loot one
> without fighting a thing. And if that's not twinking, I don't know
> what is.

Step back a sec cowboys <G>. Those items are already no drop. That should
be enough, aside from the risk in getting them and the relative uselessness
of the SolB swords (ae proc is not chanter friendly), and *other* things I
wont go into here.

Whose argument are you attempting to support? ;) Please.

Sean Kennedy

Mar 19, 2001, 9:04:46 AM3/19/01

Bert Ulrich <bul...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message

The point Mark made was that if everything was no-drop (to prevent
twinking) then eventually great items would be free for the taking, as
no-one would loot them. I offered up the mask as a bit of evidence
supporting his claim.

Kyle

Mar 19, 2001, 11:29:21 AM3/19/01
"Missy Dirmeyer" <mis...@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message

> And that would stop people with 2 accounts how?

Well, if you wanted to buy two accounts go ahead. I for one, wouldn't pay
$10 extra just to twink a character or have a mule.

Dark Tyger

Mar 19, 2001, 12:18:53 PM3/19/01
"Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote:

And I'm sure most people don't pay $10 a month for 6 months just to
build a character up to the point where they can twink their newbie
characters after that time...

XBiGGiO7x

Mar 19, 2001, 6:53:04 PM3/19/01
i do not see whats wrong with twinking. Unless people buy pp/items from ebay,
then thats pretty screwed up. But take me for instance, my level 54 warrior
worked hard earning all the stuff on it and the extra items i cant use, why
should i be able to sell those items and use like 5kpp to make a char or 10kpp?
I remember it being a little frustrating at low levels seeing people all decked
out, but the truth is you will be able to do the same when u have a high level
char so dont worry about it.

Celaeno

Mar 19, 2001, 7:10:08 PM3/19/01
You will not evade me, mark...@abts.net (Mark Bradshaw):

>On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:03:53 GMT, "Eric San Juan" <shoeg...@usa.net>
>wrote:
>

>>Just once, I'd like to see a solid explanation as to *why* twinking needs to

>>be gotten rid of. Just one.
>

>Jealousy, mainly. There are two essential truths to twinking, first
>that we all hated it when we were young, second that we all do it now
>that we can.

The only thing I ever hated about twinking was not the twinking, but
when they'd look down on me (pity or scorn) for my low wisdom or brag
excessibly about their own uber stats. Having 50 points more wisdom
than me at lvl 20 doesn't necessarily make you a better druid, bub.
And one of the better warriors I grouped with in my mid teens was
wearing leather armor.

Celaeno Duskwalker
Fier'dal druid of twilight
Erollisi Marr

Adam Kusnierz

Mar 19, 2001, 7:09:02 PM3/19/01
In article <3ab51f36....@news.xtremeol.com>, Mark Bradshaw

<mark...@abts.net> writes
>On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:27:10 +0000, Adam Kusnierz
><ada...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <3ab47625....@news.xtremeol.com>, Mark Bradshaw
>><mark...@abts.net> writes
>>>On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:52:17 -0500, "Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>>
>>>Without twinking, there would be no EQ economy at all. Think about
>>>that.
>>
>>Hmmm... doesn't look like you have done any thinking about it, Mark.
>>Invite us to do the thinking for you? If twinks are vital component of
>>EQ's economy there mustn't have been any economy before first twinks
>>arrived, right?
>

>All right, if you need the situation spelled out to you. Play
>attention; I'll be using large words here.

I'm ready.

>We are in an environment where there is no item decay, where there is
>potentially an infinite number of any given item, (provided it still
>drops in the game) provided the player wants to spend the time to
>acquire said item.

Potentially there is a possibility for everyone who wants an item to
obtain one. So?

>Now, let's put these concepts into a game with no twinking whatsoever,
>with only one character per account per server, all items nodrop/lore.

Nobody mentioned all items being nodrop/lore as this single step would
kill economy out right.
What you don't understand is that twinking does not make items 'less' or
players 'more' therefore twinking as such does not address the balance.
If anything it _keeps_ the items in the game that may have been
otherwise destroyed by players who were too high levels to use them
themselves.

>Instead of an economy where Ykeshas cost 800 plat a piece, you'd have
>froglok corpses full of them littering lower guk, where any low level
>fighter type is not only allowed go travel down and loot to their
>hearts content, but are in fact *encouraged* to do so.

Oh, corpses don't vanish _ever_ as well?

>Only nobody
>would ever bother, since they're all now carrying around equipment
>gathered from other peoples Old Seb/Kael raids.
>And besides all that, "twinking" is a very subjective concept.
>Literally speaking, it's the process of giving another character items
>in which they have not earned themselves.

Oh, you just don't understand what twinking is. Lemme explain - it is
handing down an item inappropriate for the recipient because of their
level. It is giving them an item they would have not been able to obtain
as yet.

>Is it twinking to hand a
>Velium longsword to your warrior alt? Is it twinking to give the same
>weapon to some level ten stranger you meet in Freeport?

It all depends on the sword and levels of your alt and that stranger.

>Is it
>twinking to sell that same weapon to the same person for five plat?

Why? Is it worth _much_ more? If it is then it's twinking (why bother
taking any plat for it at all?)

>For one plat? For ten? What if instead of that sword, you hand a
>starving newbie a stack of foraged berries and water? Is this
>twinking? If not, why?

It isn't twinking since food isn't inappropriate at any level.

>We are playing a game that not only allows twinking, but also
>encourages it.

Huh? I get, say, lvl40 weapon as loot. Are you telling me I am
encouraged it to take it all the way to newbie area to hand it to some
lvl10? Or my alt?

>It is now in the stages where you may as well consider
>twinking a core design element of the game itself.

And to back it up you are offering what exactly? Your feelings?
BTW I'm curious - which of the words you used do you consider 'large'
then?
And were did you put so much effort into using them that it all made you
forgot what you were going to address (how would economy not exist
without twinks)?

--
Adam Kusnierz

Sang K. Choe

Mar 20, 2001, 3:33:33 AM3/20/01
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 00:10:08 GMT, cel...@shavenwookie.nospam.com
(Celaeno) wrote:

>>Jealousy, mainly. There are two essential truths to twinking, first
>>that we all hated it when we were young, second that we all do it now
>>that we can.
>
>The only thing I ever hated about twinking was not the twinking, but
>when they'd look down on me (pity or scorn) for my low wisdom or brag
>excessibly about their own uber stats.

That's not a problem with twinking, that's a problem with fuckwits in
the game--of which there are plenty.

Personally, I like twinking. Twinking is good. I gave my twinkie
warrior full crafted, treeweave, royal velium armor, lamentation +
crystalline shortsword, FBSS (had an RBB but had to give that to a
guildie's main--all mains in the guild have at least an FBSS or
better) and managed to even get him a pair of JBoots (back when E
Karana spawn table was royally screwed up and the AC was popping more
often than Broon).

The end result: I have a tank that I can play for fun when my main is
stuck in VP.

Twinking, when done to an obscene level, is a good thing.

-- Sang.

Sang K. Choe

Mar 20, 2001, 3:38:24 AM3/20/01
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:47:27 GMT, "Bert Ulrich"
<bul...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>No. The only way to get rid of twinking would be to make every item no
>drop. Further, I suggest you devote your attention to the cause of the
>problem, not the symptom....or perceived sympton in your case.

1. No drop isn't the answer. Royal velium armor is no drop, wanna
know how many twinkies in the teens and 20's have them? No drop is a
brain-dead bandaid over a bullethole wound.

2. There's nothing wrong with twinking. Twinking is something that
should be left in this game.

3. If you REALLY wanted to stop twinking, the answer is very simple:
Take a look at the Club of the Ice Ocean. You cannot *EQUIP* it until
you're level 50. In otherwords, the neccessary mechanism to eliminate
twinking is already available to Verant. But they have chosen
(correctly I might add) to not implement it across the board (why
single out the turtle club, I have no idea...it's not that great of an
item anyways).

-- Sang.

Wrig...@nospam.com

Mar 20, 2001, 9:57:05 AM3/20/01
Yep. I have quite a few twinks as well and couldn't agree more about
the no drop. If VI wanted to get rid of twinking they should have
implemented either minimum stats or minimum levels requirements for
items (like that would have been a unique idea). They also should have
put it in from day one...

- Wriggs

>-- Sang.

Tukul

Mar 21, 2001, 2:40:25 PM3/21/01

"Sang K. Choe" <sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com> wrote in message

I really don't understand what ALL the fuss is about.
Twinking doesn't exist, its just someone whining over the fact that someone
else has something that they don't.
So who cares. You too can get it if you work HARD and are creative at
role-playing.

My highest char is a lvl 14 rogue and he is probably twinked by some's
standard, but who the heck are they to tell me what I can put on my char
anyway. I really wish people would just get on with playing the game and
have fun!!!!

This incessant talk of Twinking is getting boring. If you ask me there
should be a bane on Twinking threads like this one. :)

Variant should do NOTHING to stop Twinking!!!

Ron Smith

Mar 21, 2001, 3:23:10 PM3/21/01
I would like to know how twinking is different than selling or buying on EQ.
If a character that is to low to have gotten some equipment has it anyway,
what difference does it make how he got it? Some say that at least he earned
it with a different character. So what, its still almost the exact same
thing. If some idiot wants to drop some cash on a yak or fbss to twink
himself, then why except for the jealousy of those that choose not to buy
for real money, should they not.

I am against twinking and selling for $$, but if they ban one they should
ban both.

"Eric San Juan" <shoeg...@usa.net> wrote in message

> "Kyle" <k...@snip.net> wrote in message
> > The only way to get rid of twinking that will work is having single
> > character servers. I have heard that "Horizons" will have servers like
> this,
> > and that seems to get the job done.

Goober

Mar 21, 2001, 5:23:24 PM3/21/01
I think its like our society , have nots cry foul thats not fair , and have
do it cause it makes sence.
When the have nots get to higher lvl and eventually start another char most
of them become haves and twink
"Ron Smith" <rsmi...@home.com> wrote in message

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 22, 2001, 3:55:22 PM3/22/01
Doesn't matter whether you or some people won't use 2 accounts. The fact is
that there a people out there who do. Personally I know 3 friends (not
people I "heard" about or people who I only see in passing) who have 2
accounts. I have 2 myself, my main one and the one my husband stopped
playing. I think this is a little more common than you might think.

The point was limiting accounts to one character will not stop twinking
because there is an easy way around it.

"Dark Tyger" <dark...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Dan Harmon

Mar 22, 2001, 4:49:25 PM3/22/01

> Doesn't matter whether you or some people won't use 2 accounts. The fact
is
> that there a people out there who do. Personally I know 3 friends (not
> people I "heard" about or people who I only see in passing) who have 2
> accounts. I have 2 myself, my main one and the one my husband stopped
> playing. I think this is a little more common than you might think.
>
> The point was limiting accounts to one character will not stop twinking
> because there is an easy way around it.

Easy? I wouldn't call it that unless the first account is a high level
character on it. It WOULD severely limit twinking to allow only one
character per server per account.

If you wanted, for some really odd reason, to put a stop to twinking, it
ain't gonna happen. But yeah, that would severely curtail it.

Not sure why we're even talking about it though. If Verant was ever stupid
enough to put measures into place to curtail it, they'd lose a lot of
accounts REALLY fast.

TwoHead

Mar 22, 2001, 5:56:33 PM3/22/01

Two points (one from each head) in response.

1. Just because they implemented this on one server does not mean it has
to be implemented on all. They could use such a one char / one account
system for the imagined RP server (which I doubt they will ever actually
create). This would allow such a system to exist without effecting old
servers so no reason for anyone to quit over it.

2. When folks talk about all the people that would quit if one thing or
another was implemented, they never seem to mention all the folks who
did quit because the game didn't have that feature or the number of
folks who might be convinced to play the game in the first place if VI
supported the type of game they envision better.

This second comment is based on history. I joined many others years ago
in the old Avault forums, where Scott and Friar and even Brad used to
come and discuss what might or might not some day come to be in EQ.
Many of the folks who were so excited to see the game they had planned
have long since given up hope and playing EQ because they strayed so far
from what they originally suggested they wanted to do.

Yes, they've made many times over the amount of money they ever could
have dreamed of back then, but there is a large population of folks who
are not customers who could have been. That group of folks contains the
sort of players they originally thought would play this game, yet they
are not in VI's world now due to how the game was made to cater to the
masses. There is little reason that VI can't create a separate style of
EQ while still supporting the world the masses have come to know. I for
one would be glad to see that, there were some wonderfully creative and
fun folks on that forum all those years ago and playing the game we
talked about then with them would have been a lot more fun than running
around in the world of EQ today. (and I think the world we have now is
pretty dang fun already if you want it to be.)

th

Kyle

Mar 22, 2001, 7:54:13 PM3/22/01
"TwoHead" <t...@2omar2world2.com> wrote in message

> 1. Just because they implemented this on one server does not mean it has
> to be implemented on all. They could use such a one char / one account
> system for the imagined RP server (which I doubt they will ever actually
> create). This would allow such a system to exist without effecting old
> servers so no reason for anyone to quit over it.

That is exactally what I'm talking about. All I was talking about is : "one
char / one account system for the imagined RP server."

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 23, 2001, 9:17:58 PM3/23/01
"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> "Missy Dirmeyer" <mis...@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
> > Doesn't matter whether you or some people won't use 2 accounts. The
fact
> is
> > that there a people out there who do. Personally I know 3 friends (not
> > people I "heard" about or people who I only see in passing) who have 2
> > accounts. I have 2 myself, my main one and the one my husband stopped
> > playing. I think this is a little more common than you might think.
> >
> > The point was limiting accounts to one character will not stop twinking
> > because there is an easy way around it.
>
> Easy? I wouldn't call it that unless the first account is a high level
> character on it. It WOULD severely limit twinking to allow only one
> character per server per account.

Um...most twinkage occurs when a <high level> gives items to her lower level
alt already. What's the difference if they are on separate accounts
(avoiding the discussion of extra computer equipment which you didn't bring
up either.)

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 24, 2001, 9:12:51 PM3/24/01

"Ron Smith" <rsmi...@home.com> wrote in message

> I am against twinking and selling for $$, but if they ban one they should
> ban both.

Er...the two aren't even in the same category (not that I have anything
against either one...hey if you're time is more valuable than what it takes
to get an item feel free to buy it...makes much more financial sense for
some people.) Banning the second just because you ban the other doens't
really make a lot of sense.

Ron Smith

Mar 26, 2001, 7:43:58 AM3/26/01

I think it is almost identical, a low level PC has something he could not
have gotten on his own, usually giving him a great advantage over others in
his same level area and often allowing him to kill more than his fair share
of the lower level mobs. During prime time when the server is crowded this
can have the effect of letting the twinked (by an alt or $$) take more of
the kills and making the non twinked go farther in to more dangerous areas
to try to get some kills. Selling on EBay is just twinking for cash.

I would like to see only 1 char per server allowed. If you want to play a
different class or race just pop to a different server. It would make
playing lower levels a lot more fun not seeing nearly as many L1 players
with L60 gear.

"Missy Dirmeyer" <mis...@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message

StanMann

Mar 26, 2001, 1:37:29 PM3/26/01

bizbee wrote:

> Yn erthygl <hQGv6.2717$am2.5...@news.easynews.com>, sgrifenws "Ron
> Smith" <rsmi...@home.com>:

> >I think it is almost identical, a low level PC has something he could not
> >have gotten on his own, usually giving him a great advantage over others in
> >his same level area and often allowing him to kill more than his fair share
> >of the lower level mobs. During prime time when the server is crowded this
> >can have the effect of letting the twinked (by an alt or $$) take more of
> >the kills and making the non twinked go farther in to more dangerous areas
> >to try to get some kills. Selling on EBay is just twinking for cash.
> >

> Except for one thing... your entire comment is based on your first
> sentence. A twinked character does <not> have a "great advantage." The
> people who think they have a "great advantage" are generally the
> twinks you see running for the zone, or yelling for help. "Slight
> advantage" is a little closer to the mark. A level six is a level six,
> and there's no way around that...

Yup. My Halfling druid, finally got to twink her out, still in
Patchwork, cept for Jade gold bracer, Jade silver rings, and Paw tunic
can manage whites, most of the time, and the occassional yellow at FHFM
and thats weilding an RTS, you wouldn't see signifigant improvement with
major twink gear AFAIK. It's a light advantage that makes getting to
SoW a bit quicker.

StanMann

Ron Smith

Mar 26, 2001, 8:04:26 PM3/26/01
Which entirely makes my point about selling and twinking. If a person buys
stuff for cash or is twinked, why should anyone care? Its the same.

"StanMann" <stan...@not.there.anymore.com> wrote in message

Sandjumper Jones

Mar 27, 2001, 2:30:54 AM3/27/01

> Except for one thing... your entire comment is based on your first
> sentence. A twinked character does <not> have a "great advantage." The
> people who think they have a "great advantage" are generally the
> twinks you see running for the zone, or yelling for help. "Slight
> advantage" is a little closer to the mark. A level six is a level six,
> and there's no way around that...

Yeah, but compare a level 6 using a Rusty Two-Hander with a few sparse
pieces of Cloth to a level 6 with full Cobalt, CoF, Lamentation, Velium
Wedding Rings, and a Fungi Tunic ..

of course, nobody I've seen (yet -- i'll see it eventually) has twinked
cobalt on a warrior on Tribunal ..

the level of the advantage really depends on how bad they're twinked, but
once it gets past a certain point they have a huge advantage =P

--
Sandjumper Jones
51st Halfling Wanderer

Dark Tyger

Mar 27, 2001, 4:04:25 AM3/27/01
bizbee <tub...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Yn erthygl <2GRv6.2929$Hu6.4...@news.easynews.com>, sgrifenws "Ron
>Smith" <rsmi...@home.com>:
>

>>Which entirely makes my point about selling and twinking. If a person buys
>>stuff for cash or is twinked, why should anyone care? Its the same.
>>

>Except buying stuff for cash is against the rules. You sort of
>overlooked that part.

...that's because it destroys his entire point.

--
Dark Tyger, the slightly eccentric, railgun-toting kitty kat
Change "tyger" to "half" to email me
=^..^=

The night is my companion...solitude my guide.

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 27, 2001, 5:21:57 AM3/27/01
Doesn't matter what you think when you're wrong...they are hardly identical.

> I think it is almost identical,

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 27, 2001, 5:37:21 AM3/27/01

"Ron Smith" <rsmi...@home.com> wrote in message

> I think it is almost identical, a low level PC has something he could not
> have gotten on his own,

and I thought Verant discouraged soling anyways...hehehe (it's a joke
dammit)

>usually giving him a great advantage over others in
> his same level area and often allowing him to kill more than his fair
share
> of the lower level mobs.

Since when are mobs portioned out to players? How do you determine a fair
share?

> During prime time when the server is crowded this
> can have the effect of letting the twinked (by an alt or $$) take more of
> the kills and making the non twinked go farther in to more dangerous areas
> to try to get some kills.

There's really a shortage of things you can kill in newbie and middlebie
areas?

>Selling on EBay is just twinking for cash.

While this may be so...but do you have the stats to back this up? Buying a
character on ebay isn't exactly twinking. Buying a piece of equipment that
is appropriate for your level doesn't help your "overpowering" arguement.
So what's the percentage of those sales versus straight twinkage? (And "a
lot" doesn't cut it.)

Robert Scott Clark

Mar 27, 2001, 8:04:15 AM3/27/01
bizbee <tub...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Yn erthygl <2GRv6.2929$Hu6.4...@news.easynews.com>, sgrifenws "Ron
>Smith" <rsmi...@home.com>:
>

>>Which entirely makes my point about selling and twinking. If a person buys
>>stuff for cash or is twinked, why should anyone care? Its the same.
>>

>Except buying stuff for cash is against the rules. You sort of
>overlooked that part.

He is arguing whether or not it *should* be against the rules, whether
or not it currently *is* is totally irrelevant to that point.

StanMann

Mar 27, 2001, 8:10:07 AM3/27/01

Robert Scott Clark wrote:

> bizbee <tub...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >Yn erthygl <2GRv6.2929$Hu6.4...@news.easynews.com>, sgrifenws "Ron
> >Smith" <rsmi...@home.com>:
> >
> >>Which entirely makes my point about selling and twinking. If a person buys
> >>stuff for cash or is twinked, why should anyone care? Its the same.
> >>

> >Except buying stuff for cash is against the rules. You sort of
> >overlooked that part.
>
> He is arguing whether or not it *should* be against the rules, whether
> or not it currently *is* is totally irrelevant to that point.

And our friends at Verant have said that they LIKE twinking. They feel
that it allows people who are getting burnt out a fresh start without
what some people dislike(basic grind) personally I've always had the
most fun between levels 7 and 15. But I hate getting up to 7. With My
druid, I just want to get to 8 and meditate, then... I'll chill out and
travel a bit.

StanMann

StanMann

Mar 27, 2001, 8:19:09 AM3/27/01

Sandjumper Jones wrote:

> "bizbee" <tub...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Except for one thing... your entire comment is based on your first
> > sentence. A twinked character does <not> have a "great advantage." The
> > people who think they have a "great advantage" are generally the
> > twinks you see running for the zone, or yelling for help. "Slight
> > advantage" is a little closer to the mark. A level six is a level six,
> > and there's no way around that...
>
> Yeah, but compare a level 6 using a Rusty Two-Hander with a few sparse
> pieces of Cloth to a level 6 with full Cobalt, CoF, Lamentation, Velium
> Wedding Rings, and a Fungi Tunic ..

Then compare that same level 6 to one in Partial banded, and a pair of
jade rings the rat earings from qeynos and a mino axe, The one in
cobalt has a SMALL advantage. and is more likely to think that he can
take on anything in sight and won't run as soon.

> the level of the advantage really depends on how bad they're twinked, but
> once it gets past a certain point they have a huge advantage =P

I don't see a "huge" advantage. Signifigant, sure, huge, not a chance,
and take those two at oh level 12, when the twink is still in his twink
gear and the non-twink has scrounged for a Pair of langsaex and if he's
been lucky a LoW the non-twink is maxed on his weapon skills and the
velium(assuming fire opal) rings are giving him less benefit than a
standard cleric/druid buff. And the non-twink has learned how to be a
warrior, learned some strafe techniques etc. I'd bet on the Non-twink.

StanMann

StanMann

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 27, 2001, 9:09:12 AM3/27/01
In article <3AC0933B...@not.there.anymore.com>,
stan...@not.there.anymore.com says...

> Then compare that same level 6 to one in Partial banded, and a pair of
> jade rings the rat earings from qeynos and a mino axe, The one in
> cobalt has a SMALL advantage. and is more likely to think that he can
> take on anything in sight and won't run as soon.

Correct. This is mainly because most twinks don't twink correctly. The
main thing you need to make your melee guy advance faster is a good (and
uncapped) weapon and regeneration.
In other words, if you replace the full cobalt with fungi tunic and 2
jade maces, the advantage will be tremendous. Actually he *will* be able
to take on anything in site. Will be much cheaper than full cobalt too

> > the level of the advantage really depends on how bad they're twinked, but
> > once it gets past a certain point they have a huge advantage =P
>
> I don't see a "huge" advantage. Signifigant, sure, huge, not a chance,
> and take those two at oh level 12, when the twink is still in his twink
> gear and the non-twink has scrounged for a Pair of langsaex and if he's
> been lucky a LoW the non-twink is maxed on his weapon skills and the
> velium(assuming fire opal) rings are giving him less benefit than a
> standard cleric/druid buff. And the non-twink has learned how to be a
> warrior, learned some strafe techniques etc. I'd bet on the Non-twink.

About weapon skills... My shadowknight is twinked (not as much as I
suggested before, I'm quite far from affording a fungi shirt). He's made
34 in about 2.5 days /played. He has FIVE weapon skills maxed. That is
1h and 2h slashing and blunt, plus piercing. How many untwinked tanks
have you seen that would have all of their weapon skills maxed?

--
Vedun Dazhbog/Rusich Smaks, 51 shamonk (mystiple?)
Strakh Smerti, 34 shadowknight

StanMann

Mar 27, 2001, 9:46:07 AM3/27/01

Sergey Dashevskiy wrote:

> About weapon skills... My shadowknight is twinked (not as much as I
> suggested before, I'm quite far from affording a fungi shirt). He's made
> 34 in about 2.5 days /played. He has FIVE weapon skills maxed. That is
> 1h and 2h slashing and blunt, plus piercing. How many untwinked tanks
> have you seen that would have all of their weapon skills maxed?

Me, 22 ranger 1hs/2hs/pierce/1hb, 2hb isn't that important to me.

StanMann

Wrig...@nospam.com

Mar 27, 2001, 10:02:48 AM3/27/01
>Except for one thing... your entire comment is based on your first
>sentence. A twinked character does <not> have a "great advantage." The
>people who think they have a "great advantage" are generally the
>twinks you see running for the zone, or yelling for help. "Slight
>advantage" is a little closer to the mark. A level six is a level six,
>and there's no way around that...
While I agree with you on the regular servers, that is not the case on
the PvP servers. A twinked character can make newbe life hell on PvP.
They load up with AC and/or resist items and run around killing with
basic imunity. They cant be cast on becase no spells will take hold
and the AC is so high that "normal" melee weapon do no damage.

Once you get past about level 20 its not that big a deal but untill
then, it is a nightmare.

- Wriggs

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 27, 2001, 9:55:55 AM3/27/01
In article <3AC0A79E...@not.there.anymore.com>,
stan...@not.there.anymore.com says...

Well, I thought that 1h slashing is not important to me, but I figured
I'd keep it up just in case
By the way, there are some very decent ranger usable 2h blunt weapons:
Woodsman's Staff -- 31/35
Springwood Stave -- 31/42
Natures Wrath -- 29/44
Various brawl sticks

StanMann

Mar 27, 2001, 1:12:10 PM3/27/01

bizbee wrote:

> In any case, the example used isn't a terribly realistic one, although
> I'm sure there's someone out there that's done it. Virtually everyone
> that bitches about twinks isn't crying about a level 6 in a fungus
> robe, they're bitching about a level 6 carrying a combine scimitar.

You mean the combine scimitar I financed by running the mail quest from
the barbarian fishing village and surefall 300 times?? at 2 gold per
run? Meanwhile leveling from 1 to 6 just from the quest?? what lamers.

StanMann

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 27, 2001, 2:31:14 PM3/27/01
> Yn erthygl <B3_v6.749$yl5.4...@typhoon1.ba-dsg.net>, sgrifenws
> "Missy Dirmeyer" <mis...@bellatlantic.net>:

> >"Ron Smith" <rsmi...@home.com> wrote in message
>
> >>usually giving him a great advantage over others in
> >> his same level area and often allowing him to kill more than his fair
> >share
> >> of the lower level mobs.
> >
> >Since when are mobs portioned out to players? How do you determine a
fair
> >share?
> >
> This is a very good point. In this case, I'd suggest that anyone who
> can play more than a given number of hours should also be considered a
> twink, because this <also> allows them to kill more mobs than the
> average player. Not that this hasn't been mentioned by people who only
> play a couple hours a week and think they should constantly be on
> equal footing with idiot savants that play 22 hours a day....
> Perhaps Verant should put a "killing cap" on all of our characters,
> allowing us only, say, 20 mobs a day, just to make sure everyone is on
> exactly the same plane as their peers....
> ...not.

Yes...so in addition to banning twinks and ebay sales, Verant needs to
figure out the amount of time that the person who spends the least amount of
time on EQ and start disconnecting everybody else who surpasses that.
Err...but if that person is only sitting around and not killing anything
won't that severely affect the "fair share" amount that each player must be
banned for if they go over? Stop the game enhancements Verant...start
working on that little algorithym.

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 27, 2001, 2:39:11 PM3/27/01

"Sergey Dashevskiy" <xi...@tcimet.net> wrote in message

> In article <3AC0933B...@not.there.anymore.com>,
> stan...@not.there.anymore.com says...
> > Then compare that same level 6 to one in Partial banded, and a pair of
> > jade rings the rat earings from qeynos and a mino axe, The one in
> > cobalt has a SMALL advantage. and is more likely to think that he can
> > take on anything in sight and won't run as soon.
>
> Correct. This is mainly because most twinks don't twink correctly. The
> main thing you need to make your melee guy advance faster is a good (and
> uncapped) weapon and regeneration.
> In other words, if you replace the full cobalt with fungi tunic and 2
> jade maces, the advantage will be tremendous. Actually he *will* be able
> to take on anything in site. Will be much cheaper than full cobalt too

What good are 2 jade maces? He can only use one at 6.

Javan

Mar 27, 2001, 3:18:44 PM3/27/01

"Missy Dirmeyer" <mis...@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message

And HP Gear. Having a low level with an extra 200hp is very powerful. (pair
of velium fire rings and velium black pearl necklace)

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 27, 2001, 3:48:54 PM3/27/01
In article <z%5w6.1816$aV2.5...@typhoon2.ba-dsg.net>,
mis...@bellatlantic.net says...

Ok, one, what's your point? He will be able to use the second one in 20
minutes to an hour.
Twinking damage output (weapon, haste) and regeneration does add a LOT
of an advantage to a twink. You can only level as fast as you deal
damage. At level 1 Jade Mace has no damage cap and does 4-5 times the
damage of a newbie weapon.

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 27, 2001, 4:02:55 PM3/27/01
In article <vuj1ctoulcdq1nj8d...@4ax.com>,
tub...@ix.netcom.com says...
> Yn erthygl <MPG.152a690ee...@news.msu.edu>, sgrifenws Sergey
> Dashevskiy <xi...@tcimet.net>:

> >Correct. This is mainly because most twinks don't twink correctly. The
> >main thing you need to make your melee guy advance faster is a good (and
> >uncapped) weapon and regeneration.
> >In other words, if you replace the full cobalt with fungi tunic and 2
> >jade maces, the advantage will be tremendous. Actually he *will* be able
> >to take on anything in site. Will be much cheaper than full cobalt too
>
> Not too sure about taking on anything in sight. If your character only
> has 200 hp, you ain't gonna take on <anything> that quad hits for 125,
> 125, 125, 125.... can't take down a hill giant casting spells that
> dole out 12 points of damage at a shot... and you sure aren't going to
> <beat> it to death, even if you're invulnerable.... something else
> that's being overlooked is the fact that being able to "take on" a mob
> over the average players' head in reality is "running on the edge." We
> all know what happens when you're fighting some mob that is just about
> at your limit, and a passing orc or puma decides to get into the
> picture.

I guess you took my words too literally. First of all, if we are talking
about tanks, and a tank has 200 hitpoints (so, level 1 twink), there's
better not be any hill giants in his sight. He does have an option of
attacking his own guards, if he so choses, but my explanation didn't
cover that

> In any case, the example used isn't a terribly realistic one, although
> I'm sure there's someone out there that's done it. Virtually everyone
> that bitches about twinks isn't crying about a level 6 in a fungus
> robe, they're bitching about a level 6 carrying a combine scimitar.

Actually there are quite a few people doing that. What happened in a lot
of cases is higher level people saw that they don't like their main
class/race and decided to remake as something else. I've seen a lot of
high level monks remake as iksar and give him all of their tradeable
equipment (makes for some impressive stuff), or remake their paladin
into ogre warrior, etc.

Missy Dirmeyer

Mar 27, 2001, 6:13:56 PM3/27/01

> In article <z%5w6.1816$aV2.5...@typhoon2.ba-dsg.net>,
> mis...@bellatlantic.net says...
> >
> > "Sergey Dashevskiy" <xi...@tcimet.net> wrote in message
> > > In article <3AC0933B...@not.there.anymore.com>,
> > > stan...@not.there.anymore.com says...
> > >
> > > In other words, if you replace the full cobalt with fungi tunic and 2
> > > jade maces, the advantage will be tremendous. Actually he *will* be
able
> > > to take on anything in site. Will be much cheaper than full cobalt too
> > >

> > What good are 2 jade maces? He can only use one at 6.
>
> Ok, one, what's your point? He will be able to use the second one in 20
> minutes to an hour.

Well..the point was at 6 he couldn't very well use 2 jade maces. Simple
point really. Doesn't matter if he could use one later cause we were
talking about the benefits of twinking on a level 6 character. Now, call me
back in an hour when he can dual wield and we'll talk.

Robert Scott Clark

Mar 27, 2001, 7:01:02 PM3/27/01

>And our friends at Verant have said that they LIKE twinking. They feel
>that it allows people who are getting burnt out a fresh start without
>what some people dislike(basic grind) personally I've always had the
>most fun between levels 7 and 15. But I hate getting up to 7. With My
>druid, I just want to get to 8 and meditate, then... I'll chill out and
>travel a bit.

The most fun I have had is starting over on a new server (I've been in
on day one on two different servers) You get what you earn, and go
get what you need. Sadly, I can't play enough to stay ahead of the
hump, and eventually you get drowned in the mush of all of the other
players. I almost wish everything in the game was no-drop and you
used what you earned. But as long as level 5's have full crafted, I
don't really care how they got it, one way is as good as another.

Robert Scott Clark

Mar 27, 2001, 7:07:50 PM3/27/01

>>He is arguing whether or not it *should* be against the rules, whether
>>or not it currently *is* is totally irrelevant to that point.
>>
>not really.... if it <wasn't> against the rules, there would be no
>argument... would there? That hardly makes it irrelevant.

I'll have to give you that one.

jaZZmanian Devil

Mar 28, 2001, 8:19:10 AM3/28/01
> > What good are 2 jade maces? He can only use one at 6.

Saaaaay...... what do those jade maces go for on your servers? I'm suddenly
picturing my new troll warrior with one. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Of course, being
pathetically poor most of the time, probably out of my price range. What sort of
good 1HS or even 2HS weapon could I get in the under 400 plat range for him that
would really up his early damage output?
(suddenly wannabe twink troll warrior)
--
Jakys Lv'Tyrr, the Mad Monk of Qeynos
Monk of 22 Seasons, Silent Fist

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 28, 2001, 10:12:30 AM3/28/01
In article <3AC1E4CE...@stny.rr.com>, js...@stny.rr.com says...

> > > What good are 2 jade maces? He can only use one at 6.
>
> Saaaaay...... what do those jade maces go for on your servers?

About 20k each, I think. Not all that cheap, but as someone was
suggesting dressing up in full cobalt, I figured, you can just sell one
bracer, and maybe gloves to get the setup I suggested

> I'm suddenly
> picturing my new troll warrior with one. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Of course, being
> pathetically poor most of the time, probably out of my price range. What sort of
> good 1HS or even 2HS weapon could I get in the under 400 plat range for him that
> would really up his early damage output?

Hmm, for 400? Lemme see, Icetooth Claws, or Runic Carver should work

InDicuS

Mar 28, 2001, 11:50:02 AM3/28/01
Charred tulwar is a great pre-20 2hSlashing weapon. The damage it deals is
considerable for anyone under 20, after 20 when the cap is removed, there
are better weapons, but the Charred Tulwar sells for about 100pp and I got
mine from Dalnir, I actually gave it away to some newbie, since I couldn't
find a buyer for it.

Indicus Velox
41 SwiftTail
Saryrn Server

jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

Elliot Williams

Mar 28, 2001, 2:49:16 PM3/28/01

"jaZZmanian Devil" <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

Get him a Langsaxe (6 dam, 23 delay) or two (for dual wield at level
13). It's ridiculously under-priced, around 20 pp. If you can pick up
a SoW, your monk should be able to do the quest himself. Just have to
check the Halas faction, but I would think a human could do it. An Axe
of Iron Back (16 dam 37 delay) is one of the best 2hs weapons below
level 20, due to the low delay. Both weapons will do you well into
your twenties, even low 30s.

Elliot Williams

Mar 28, 2001, 5:04:26 PM3/28/01

> Get him a Langsaxe (6 dam, 23 delay) or two (for dual wield at level
> 13). It's ridiculously under-priced, around 20 pp. If you can pick
up
> a SoW, your monk should be able to do the quest himself. Just have
> check the Halas faction, but I would think a human could do it. An
Axe
> of Iron Back (16 dam 37 delay) is one of the best 2hs weapons below
> level 20, due to the low delay. Both weapons will do you well into
> your twenties, even low 30s.

I forgot to mention, the Axe of Iron Back usually sells for around 75
pp. I saw one auctioned the other day for 25 pp.

Sang K. Choe

Mar 29, 2001, 12:04:27 AM3/29/01
On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:30:54 -0900, "Sandjumper Jones" <@> wrote:

>"bizbee" <tub...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Except for one thing... your entire comment is based on your first
>> sentence. A twinked character does <not> have a "great advantage." The
>> people who think they have a "great advantage" are generally the
>> twinks you see running for the zone, or yelling for help. "Slight
>> advantage" is a little closer to the mark. A level six is a level six,
>> and there's no way around that...
>
>Yeah, but compare a level 6 using a Rusty Two-Hander with a few sparse
>pieces of Cloth to a level 6 with full Cobalt, CoF, Lamentation, Velium
>Wedding Rings, and a Fungi Tunic ..
>
>of course, nobody I've seen (yet -- i'll see it eventually) has twinked
>cobalt on a warrior on Tribunal ..

Cobalt BP/Legs? Nope.
Cobalt boots/glove? Sure. Damn things are a dime a dozen and all
warrior mains in my guild have them, so why the hell not?

Regardless, even if you did have full cobalt from the start, a level 6
taking on a level 12 mob would end up very dead.

The main benefit from outrageous twinking isn't that you get to kill
things you normally could not kill. It's that those things that you
can kill will be killed faster and with less downtime.

My warrior is pretty twinked out. I still stay away from
white/yellow/red con mobs. The blue ones I go through like snot
through a goose.

-- Sang.

Sang K. Choe

Mar 29, 2001, 12:10:40 AM3/29/01
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:01:27 -0800, bizbee <tub...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>Yn erthygl <tc0frls...@corp.supernews.com>, sgrifenws "Sandjumper
>Jones" <@>:

>>"bizbee" <tub...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>> Except for one thing... your entire comment is based on your first
>>> sentence. A twinked character does <not> have a "great advantage." The
>>> people who think they have a "great advantage" are generally the
>>> twinks you see running for the zone, or yelling for help. "Slight
>>> advantage" is a little closer to the mark. A level six is a level six,
>>> and there's no way around that...
>>
>>Yeah, but compare a level 6 using a Rusty Two-Hander with a few sparse
>>pieces of Cloth to a level 6 with full Cobalt, CoF, Lamentation, Velium
>>Wedding Rings, and a Fungi Tunic ..
>>

>Well, great, what's this character, the only one on the server twinked
>like this?

You want to make a guess at how many warrior twinks in my guild has at
least a FBSS, pair of lamentation, velium fire opal rings, cougar claw
earrings, sarnak mask, a few bits of cobalt, a few pieces of royal
velium armor and assorted mix of crafted?

A LOT.

>.... Anyway, even with
>all the shit you suggest, a level 6 is <still> a level 6. It's not
>like he's going to be playing like a level 10. While overpowered in
>some areas, he's going to be severely underpowered for what he has in
>others.

Name one other area.
When I started my warrior twinked out this way, I was able to sustain
a constant blue pull with virtually *zero* downtime.

Just because your past experience indicate that twinkers are idiots
and are prone to go out and attack a hill giant at level 10, don't
assume everyone is equally brain-dead.

Infact, folks who can twink to the level described above generally
have a very good understanding of the underlying game engine. That
means they WILL have a very significant advantage.

My "twink" is level 37 now. He's AC is over 800 and has about 1800hps
total. He was routinely out tanking/taunting war/pal/sks 3 to 5
levels above him without breaking a sweat.

-- Sang.

Sang K. Choe

Mar 29, 2001, 12:17:47 AM3/29/01
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:12:30 -0500, Sergey Dashevskiy
<xi...@tcimet.net> wrote:

>In article <3AC1E4CE...@stny.rr.com>, js...@stny.rr.com says...
>>
>> Saaaaay...... what do those jade maces go for on your servers?
>
>About 20k each, I think. Not all that cheap, but as someone was
>suggesting dressing up in full cobalt, I figured, you can just sell one
>bracer, and maybe gloves to get the setup I suggested

Cobalt bracers are rare as all hell.
Cobalt gloves are dime a dozen.

Infact, I doubt anyone would willingly give up a cobalt bracer for a
jade mace. I have mains in my guild who are about to start "banking"
VP dragon weapons who still do not have cobalt bracers.

Jade mace are great primary hand weapons and should run between 20 to
25k.

-- Sang.

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 29, 2001, 8:13:59 AM3/29/01
In article <3acac501....@news.isomedia.com>,
sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com says...

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:12:30 -0500, Sergey Dashevskiy
> <xi...@tcimet.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <3AC1E4CE...@stny.rr.com>, js...@stny.rr.com says...
> >>
> >> Saaaaay...... what do those jade maces go for on your servers?
> >
> >About 20k each, I think. Not all that cheap, but as someone was
> >suggesting dressing up in full cobalt, I figured, you can just sell one
> >bracer, and maybe gloves to get the setup I suggested
>
> Cobalt bracers are rare as all hell.
> Cobalt gloves are dime a dozen.

I know. But the original suggestion was that giving full cobalt to a
level 6 didn't give them that much of an advantage (of course it would
have some advantages). My argument was that you can spend a LOT less
than that to twink a newbie much more efficiently and get more out of it
than you would out of cobalt

> Infact, I doubt anyone would willingly give up a cobalt bracer for a
> jade mace.

I would hope not. From what I understand, cobalt bracers are worth 3-5
times more. I meant that you could possibly get the entire setup that I
suggested for the bracer (and gloves if you came up a bit short). The
setup included a haste toy, pair of jade maces and fungi tunic. My
assumption was that it would make a *much* bigger difference for a
newbie than a full set of cobalt

Tim Smith

Mar 29, 2001, 8:36:23 AM3/29/01
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:08:20 -0800, bizbee <tub...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>character... at one point my ogre had 75 pp in the bank and was fully
>decked out, simply looting the corpses of guards that druids left
>behind. Whaddaya gonna do, let it decay?

I'm surprised more people don't do that. My Wizard went from 46 to 47
on the spectre outside the Fear cave, with occasional trips into the
cave for variety. I kited them all in the same direction, and most of
them died within about 30 feet of the same point. Every 5 minutes 15
seconds, I'd deposit another corpse on the pile. I'd loot the cash off
them, and leave the scythes (they weigh 10 or so...and I get encumbered
after 1 or 2).

Spectres usually have a scythe, a bronze scythe, or a rusty scythe. The
scythes sell to vendors for 10 plat, and the bronze ones sell for a plat
or two, and both are pretty common.

Any newbie Ogre brave enough to come over there could have made 50 or 60
plat an hour, easily, just looting those corpses.

--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Mar 29, 2001, 8:46:09 AM3/29/01
On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:01:51 -0800, bizbee <tub...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Except for one thing... your entire comment is based on your first
>sentence. A twinked character does <not> have a "great advantage." The
>people who think they have a "great advantage" are generally the
>twinks you see running for the zone, or yelling for help. "Slight
>advantage" is a little closer to the mark. A level six is a level six,
>and there's no way around that...

Well, a Wizard twinked with a Robe of the Invoker would have a pretty
big advantage, even at level 6. Right-click effect: Enticement of
Flame, a 360 point lure-like direct damage spell. I wonder if there is
a level limit for the effect to work?

--Tim Smith

dstep

Mar 29, 2001, 7:01:09 PM3/29/01
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:13:59 -0500, Sergey Dashevskiy
<xi...@tcimet.net> wrote:

Stuff cut

>> Cobalt bracers are rare as all hell.
>> Cobalt gloves are dime a dozen.

>I know. But the original suggestion was that giving full cobalt to a
>level 6 didn't give them that much of an advantage (of course it would
>have some advantages). My argument was that you can spend a LOT less
>than that to twink a newbie much more efficiently and get more out of it
>than you would out of cobalt

Yep due to seemingly only getting so much milage out of ac, no matter
HOW good the stuff is, at low level it gets moot. It becomes more of
a cosmetic reason to throw cobolt on a low level. Of course, if the
person was in a group where common cobolt dropped which they won.. its
not really an expense to do so. A newbie in bronze plate or especially
player made fine steel is pretty much set, even full banded is darn
good that low.

>> Infact, I doubt anyone would willingly give up a cobalt bracer for a
>> jade mace.
>
>I would hope not. From what I understand, cobalt bracers are worth 3-5
>times more. I meant that you could possibly get the entire setup that I
>suggested for the bracer (and gloves if you came up a bit short). The
>setup included a haste toy, pair of jade maces and fungi tunic. My
>assumption was that it would make a *much* bigger difference for a
>newbie than a full set of cobalt

A regen tunic (not sure if the one I saw was a fungi) is about the
BEST thing you can twink with ever. My twinked cleric (which doesn't
really do a caster or priest class that much good.. cept maybe ac..
but what the hey) was grouped with a twinked rogue with a regen tunic
on. I never had to heal him. I just chained stunned because the blue -
white goblins we were fighting could not keep up with his regen. This
was in lake of ill omen with pretty much constant fighting also.

I really want to get some regen tunic for my troll sk twink, it would
be nuts still at level 26 I'd guess.

>> I have mains in my guild who are about to start "banking"
>> VP dragon weapons who still do not have cobalt bracers.
>>
>> Jade mace are great primary hand weapons and should run between 20 to
>> 25k.

Hmm in my guild it seemed kinda the opposite.. that people had cobolt
bracers and jade maces were the rare high priced things. We've never
even been to VP, odd.

email: ydst...@yhoyme.com removing all "y"s

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 29, 2001, 9:10:02 PM3/29/01
In article <dli7ctst9rt2ru3dp...@4ax.com>,
ds...@babalooy.com says...

> A regen tunic (not sure if the one I saw was a fungi) is about the
> BEST thing you can twink with ever. My twinked cleric (which doesn't
> really do a caster or priest class that much good.. cept maybe ac..
> but what the hey) was grouped with a twinked rogue with a regen tunic
> on. I never had to heal him. I just chained stunned because the blue -
> white goblins we were fighting could not keep up with his regen. This
> was in lake of ill omen with pretty much constant fighting also.
>
> I really want to get some regen tunic for my troll sk twink, it would
> be nuts still at level 26 I'd guess.

Just a comment on your "still" thought regarding wearer's level. At 51
that shirt is still nuts. A monk wearing it can solo *all* of the bats
in Sol B, for example

Bammers

Mar 29, 2001, 10:16:23 PM3/29/01
where do ya get a regen tunic?

"Sergey Dashevskiy" <xi...@tcimet.net> wrote in message

Sang K. Choe

Mar 30, 2001, 1:13:44 AM3/30/01
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:24:20 -0800, bizbee <tub...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>Primarily due to their knowledge, as can be evidenced by the fact that
>the twinked level 10 attacking a hill giant is an idiot accomplishing
>nothing. Ever consider that if the same people were <not> twinked,
>they'd still be able to achieve a better result because of their
>knowledge? It's the knowledge that creates the <significant>
>advantage.

Nonsense.
You can know everything about the game and still suffer the same
downtime fighting blue mobs. By twinking with low delay weapons and
haste items, a warrior increases his damage output by several folds
making *THAT* the significant advantage.

I *know* that a lamentation/RBB would make my warrior better than a
rusty long sword/patchwork belt. Knowing that won't do diddly.
Having those items on my character will.

-- Sang.

Sang K. Choe

Mar 30, 2001, 2:30:12 AM3/30/01
On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:01:09 GMT, dstep <ds...@babalooy.com> wrote:

>A regen tunic (not sure if the one I saw was a fungi) is about the
>BEST thing you can twink with ever.

Nahh, the problem is two fold--downtime and damage output. It doesn't
matter if you eliminate downtime if it takes you obscenely long to
kill things. You will level slowly.

You'll need to twink with both. Regen + haste/weapon. If you had to
pick one or the other, pick haste/weapon. Regen can be achieved
through potions these days.

>>> Jade mace are great primary hand weapons and should run between 20 to
>>> 25k.
>
>Hmm in my guild it seemed kinda the opposite.. that people had cobolt
>bracers and jade maces were the rare high priced things. We've never
>even been to VP, odd.

Sounds like some folks are camping more Sebilis mobs than Karnor mobs.
:-)

-- Sang.

Celaeno

Mar 30, 2001, 6:15:40 PM3/30/01
You will not evade me, sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com (Sang K.
Choe):

>You want to make a guess at how many warrior twinks in my guild has at
>least a FBSS, pair of lamentation, velium fire opal rings, cougar claw
>earrings, sarnak mask, a few bits of cobalt, a few pieces of royal
>velium armor and assorted mix of crafted?
>
>A LOT.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but aren't you one of the people at the
extreme high end of the game? Were you the one who only logs in to
take on the largest possible mob with the smallest possible group?

I'd like to see someone twink with cobalt without being a member of an
uber uberguild... I have 700 pp to go towards twinking my alts. How
much cobalt would that buy, a thimble?

Just because you happen to be in a guild that is capable of twinking
like that doesn't mean that it's in *any* way the norm.

Celaeno Duskwalker
Fier'dal druid of twilight
Erollisi Marr

John Henders

Mar 30, 2001, 7:32:03 PM3/30/01
In <MPG.152ac6c04...@news.msu.edu> Sergey Dashevskiy <xi...@tcimet.net> writes:

>Ok, one, what's your point? He will be able to use the second one in 20
>minutes to an hour.
>Twinking damage output (weapon, haste) and regeneration does add a LOT
>of an advantage to a twink. You can only level as fast as you deal
>damage. At level 1 Jade Mace has no damage cap and does 4-5 times the
>damage of a newbie weapon.

Personally, I love the Nathsar greatsword for twinking low level melee
types. 17/30 keeps it under the low level dmg cap and 30 is great speed
for a 2h weapon. Plus no one who can actually get the weapon wants it so
they are relatively cheap. As 2h skills are the hardest to keep up you
can start early, and the 30 delay means it will rise fast enough it
leaves you part of the level to practice other weapon skills before
levelling again. Combined with a RBG and crafted armor my Warrior twink
sailed through levels.

--
Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v

Sang K. Choe

Mar 31, 2001, 12:12:50 AM3/31/01
On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:15:40 GMT, cel...@shavenwookie.nospam.com
(Celaeno) wrote:

>Just because you happen to be in a guild that is capable of twinking
>like that doesn't mean that it's in *any* way the norm.

Don't assume I am not the norm.
Infact, these days where do you think the average player level sits?
In most cases, twinking done by bored high levels will have access to
a lot of stuff that "normal" players would more than likely never see.

Hell, I've seen PoDs equipped better than some level 40 characters.

-- Sang.

Celaeno

Apr 1, 2001, 7:06:01 PM4/1/01
You will not evade me, sa...@choenet.com.remove.this.com (Sang K.
Choe):

>On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:15:40 GMT, cel...@shavenwookie.nospam.com

Hush, I have 800 pp to my name and now you're making me depressed :)

Level 1 warriors in crafted, sure... but I don't think I'll ever see
the day when twinking a lvl 1 with cobalt is common. Even with the
increasing number of people in the extreme highlevel range, not every
player is in a guild capable of getting the very best loot. Granted,
those who can do it *will* more than likely be making ubertwinks, but
you'll still have more than enough of your patchwork/bronze/banded
newbies.

Kyle

Apr 6, 2001, 11:17:13 PM4/6/01

"Al Jalaikakik" <d...@null.org> wrote in message

> >plonk<

Just curious, what did he do to make you killfile him?