Corpse decay changed for newbies?

Nee

Dec 31, 2001, 5:12:39 AM12/31/01
I started a new Druid on Bertox, ran around in Misty thicket for a couple
of hours bashing rats, etc. just as i was getting to 5th level I was too
bold and got killed on the 'bad' side of the wall. I ran about for a while
looking for my corpse, but it had done that sliding thing when i died and
seemed to have kept going while i was dead...so no mini Naddo's stuff.

I wasnt too bothered, logged off and came back on next night, ran the coin
quest a few times to get enough cash for a rusty mace and carried on
bashing, about half an hour later, i stumbled on the previous nights
corpse!...which was nice!

So the point of this little ramble is, that I thought that the decay time
for under level 6 was about 5 mins, I wonder if this has been changed? (man
i was gloating when i lewted my 30sp 60 cp...i am UBER!)

Naddo 40th lev Haflin o steel - AB
Naddo 4th lev dirty faced little oik - Bertox

PS. its Hogmany here in Scotland, let me be the first to wish you all a
happy new year, (i know i am early but i have some beer that is singing a
siren song, i dont think i can hold out much longer....oooh, sweet, sweet,
beer)

jaZZmanian Devil

Dec 31, 2001, 6:39:57 AM12/31/01
Nee wrote:
<snip tale of corpse lost and found>

> So the point of this little ramble is, that I thought that the decay time
> for under level 6 was about 5 mins, I wonder if this has been changed?

Not five minutes. Thirty minutes for a pre-level 6 corpse with anything
on it, IIRC. And I believe that's 30 minutes of online time, with
considerably more offline. So if you spent less than a half hour looking
for it and logged off, it's possible you might not have used up your
corpse timer so it was still there when you logged on. Also, if it slid
into a wall, it may have popped to the "safe spot" in the zone, as per a
recent patch change.

Then again, it could just be another inexplicable glitch in VI's
programming and it would have stayed there for years.
;-)
--
jaZZ md
- - - -

WBrownlee

Dec 31, 2001, 8:45:32 AM12/31/01
Oh, I hear the siren song that it's singin' to you, and I -know- the
feeling!

Ok, that gotten out of the way, I have a sister-in-law who is -really- dumb
(IQ 72, as I ranted about not too long ago), and she somehow ended up
getting disconnected in Nektulous last night, her body being in the water,
close to the bridge. She was nowhere -near- the bridge when she died, so I'm
gonna assume that she ran about (while she was disconnected) irrationally
until she actually fell into the water, or her unconscious self, while not
being connected, ran into the water of its own volition. It wasn't that big
a deal -- she lost all of about 1pp that I had given her (since her corpse
disappeared before she could get to it/not drown) I guess my reply might be
that -her- corpse was gone within about an hour or so (she was lvl 3) I know
that the decay time has changed, but not sure what it is at the moment...

Uhhh... what IS the coin quest? Never done that one!
thanks

Darklet, druid of *almost* 18 seasons

Thanks for playing.
"Nee" <nbl...@sol.co.uk> wrote in message

dstep

Dec 31, 2001, 10:25:30 AM12/31/01
On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:39:57 -0500, jaZZmanian Devil
<js...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>Nee wrote:
><snip tale of corpse lost and found>
>> So the point of this little ramble is, that I thought that the decay time
>> for under level 6 was about 5 mins, I wonder if this has been changed?
>
>Not five minutes. Thirty minutes for a pre-level 6 corpse with anything
>on it, IIRC. And I believe that's 30 minutes of online time, with
>considerably more offline.

5 and below its supposed to be 30 minutes off or online. This is why
when twinking you don't do it until you are level 6.
It does seem to vary though for some odd reason, like sometimes you'll
have one last a long time. I don't know why.
I've been 5 before and had one last exactly a half hour and not get to
it also.

Email: dstephenathomedotcom
Find the @ and the . if you really need to.

Bat Child (Sue M.)

Dec 31, 2001, 12:25:17 PM12/31/01
On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:45:32 GMT, "WBrownlee"
<xenoc...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

[snip]

>Uhhh... what IS the coin quest? Never done that one!
>thanks

That would be the Deputy Tagil's Debt quest. Talk to Uner Gnarltrunk
in the druid guild. He'll start talking about how Deputy Tagil (one
of the guards in Misty Thicket at the Rivervale entrance) stepped on
his vegetables and forgot to pay for them. Uner will give you a note
to give to Deputy Tagil. When you give the note to Deputy Tagil, he
will give you a large gold coin which you give to Uner Gnarltrunk for
experience, a random item and faction boosts.

>Darklet, druid of *almost* 18 seasons
>

>Thanks for playing.
>"Nee" <nbl...@sol.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I started a new Druid on Bertox, ran around in Misty thicket for a couple
>> of hours bashing rats, etc. just as i was getting to 5th level I was too
>> bold and got killed on the 'bad' side of the wall. I ran about for a
>while
>> looking for my corpse, but it had done that sliding thing when i died and
>> seemed to have kept going while i was dead...so no mini Naddo's stuff.
>>
>> I wasnt too bothered, logged off and came back on next night, ran the coin
>> quest a few times to get enough cash for a rusty mace and carried on
>> bashing, about half an hour later, i stumbled on the previous nights
>> corpse!...which was nice!
>>
>> So the point of this little ramble is, that I thought that the decay time
>> for under level 6 was about 5 mins, I wonder if this has been changed?
>(man
>> i was gloating when i lewted my 30sp 60 cp...i am UBER!)
>>
>> Naddo 40th lev Haflin o steel - AB
>> Naddo 4th lev dirty faced little oik - Bertox
>>

>> PS. its Hogmany here in Scotland, let me be the first to wish you all a
>> happy new year, (i know i am early but i have some beer that is singing a
>> siren song, i dont think i can hold out much longer....oooh, sweet, sweet,
>> beer)

http://members.home.net/batchild1
http://members.home.net/scorseseinfo

Dan Day

Dec 31, 2001, 3:03:07 PM12/31/01
On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:39:57 -0500, jaZZmanian Devil <js...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>Nee wrote:
><snip tale of corpse lost and found>
>> So the point of this little ramble is, that I thought that the decay time
>> for under level 6 was about 5 mins, I wonder if this has been changed?
>
>Not five minutes. Thirty minutes for a pre-level 6 corpse with anything
>on it, IIRC. And I believe that's 30 minutes of online time, with
>considerably more offline.

That's what the manual says, but it lies.

I did some tests. They weren't very comprehensive, but I found
that while level 1 corpses do poof pretty fast, level 3-4-5
corpses with stuff on them last FAR, FAR longer than the 30
minutes promised by the manual. I had one level 4 corpse last
24 hours online.

WBrownlee

Dec 31, 2001, 8:18:13 PM12/31/01
Huh. Ok, when I go back to RV I'll give it a shot. It's for any level?

--

Darklet, druid of *almost* 18 seasons

Thanks for playing.

"Bat Child (Sue M.)" <batc...@home.com> wrote in message

Tim Smith

Jan 1, 2002, 3:12:53 AM1/1/02
"Bat Child (Sue M.)" <batc...@home.com> wrote:

>That would be the Deputy Tagil's Debt quest. Talk to Uner Gnarltrunk
>in the druid guild. He'll start talking about how Deputy Tagil (one
>of the guards in Misty Thicket at the Rivervale entrance) stepped on
>his vegetables and forgot to pay for them. Uner will give you a note
>to give to Deputy Tagil. When you give the note to Deputy Tagil, he
>will give you a large gold coin which you give to Uner Gnarltrunk for
>experience, a random item and faction boosts.

The experience is pretty good for this quest at low level, and you can
repeat it. Combine this with the fact that the merchants in Misty
Thicket pay a lot less for any given item than the ones in Rivervale,
and it works out very nicely. Run half the quest, hunt in Misty
Thicket until your inventory is full, go back to Rivervale to sell and
finish the quest, then pick up the quest again and repeat. When you
get one of those occasional lulls in mob spawning, where you just
can't seem to find anything good to kill, run the quest 5 or 6 times
while waiting.

--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Jan 1, 2002, 3:14:27 AM1/1/02
dstep <ds...@babaloo.com> wrote:
>5 and below its supposed to be 30 minutes off or online. This is why
>when twinking you don't do it until you are level 6.
>It does seem to vary though for some odd reason, like sometimes you'll
>have one last a long time. I don't know why.
>I've been 5 before and had one last exactly a half hour and not get to
>it also.

In the nearly two years I've played, the actual behaviour of corpses
and the documented behaviour have *never* matched. Verant has even
noticed this on occasion and updated the documentation...but they've
never managed to update it in a way that matches reality.

--Tim Smith

Freeman

Jan 2, 2002, 10:19:03 AM1/2/02

"Dan Day" <d...@firstnethou.com> wrote in message

> That's what the manual says, but it lies.
>
> I did some tests. They weren't very comprehensive, but I found
> that while level 1 corpses do poof pretty fast, level 3-4-5
> corpses with stuff on them last FAR, FAR longer than the 30
> minutes promised by the manual. I had one level 4 corpse last
> 24 hours online.

From experience I also believe that a 4th level corpse lasts well over the
30 mins mark. This would make sense as at 4th you start to lose exp on
deaths and also no longer get your starting equipment (tome of discord and
all) upon respawning.
Saying this I still do not twink until 6th (rather be safe than out of
pocket)

CF

Danielle

Jan 4, 2002, 12:11:18 AM1/4/02

Freeman wrote:

you don't start losing experience from deaths until level 6

--
Elissa Silver`Rain
Level 56 High Elf Wizard

when emailing, please remove .invalid from my email address or it will bounce!