wizards good ??

Raffaele NICOLAU

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
Hey

I have currently a lvl 6 wizard high elf and i begin to wonder if the wiz is
really a good class. They have damage spells, but all others spell caster
class have too, better than the wizards ones (for example, shock of blades
for magician and wizard has only shock of ifre which is less good).

Is the only benefit of wizards is the transportation spells ?? They do not
have pets ! Very though to kill others mobs than that who are blue to
consider... Magician can kill thougher mobs with their pets...

Tell me your opinion plz

Pupazz

Roadkill[PCR]

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
Well, so far my level 4 wizard is kicking some serious ass. Womping up all
over the blue con monsters. The only real problem with wizards are their
low HPs. I could easily kill a conned yellow monster ,if someone tanked for
me, long before the guy tanking could take it. You do more damage than an
even leveled warrior but you can't take the licks back. A level 10 warrior
could take a conned white monster after a number of 19hp of damage hits,
whereas the level 10 wizard could take that white monster in only 2 or 3
hits of his bigass spell. The problem is that that same warrior can take
those same number of hits back from the monster before dying, while the
wizard is toast in 2 good hits from the same monster.

Wizards are not meant to melee. They're like the cannon in the civil war.
Huge amounts of damage, but are worthless if the enemy is right on top of it
beating the shit out of the dude trying to get the puff off. You have to
have a team to keep you clear of danger, then open up your can and let the
woop and the asses flow.

You've gotta time it right also, because if you let loose and deal out an
80hp damage spell that monster is going for you! You time it for when the
monster has about just enough HPs left for your 80 pointer to finish him
off. You'll just pluck away at it with smaller spells to help the tanks
until it's ready for the cannon to go off.

Jeff K.

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99

Raffaele NICOLAU wrote in message <7gsreh$61t$1...@front2.grolier.fr>...
>Hey
>
>I have currently a lvl 6 wizard high elf and i begin to wonder if the wiz
is
>really a good class. They have damage spells, but all others spell caster
>class have too, better than the wizards ones (for example, shock of blades
>for magician and wizard has only shock of ifre which is less good).

Yes, but at higher levels magicians' damage spells pale in comparison to a
wizards'. At level 12 and beyond, nothing can compare to the damage a wizard
can dish out.

Jeff K.
Nystramo & Co. on Cazic-Thule

Jake Messinger

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
Roadkill is correct. My high elf wizard friend can do a large amount of damage
very quickly. A typical fight would go thus...

I run up to the puma, it cons blue to me, and whack it to get its attention and
then stand still and let it swing at me. The puma cons red to him, so my wizard
friend unloads on it from a safe distance untill it is below half HPs. He then
meditates while I finish the kill off (letting him get all the exp in the
process, to help him reach my level faster so we can form a real group). If the
puma decides to bypass me and go for him, he gets hit for 15-20 points of damage
a pop and starts to die real fast. In the future I see or fights going the
opposit, with me starting and dropping the monster down halfway before he
unloads on it with his spells.

"If life gives you lemons, make a whiskey sour"
Shepherd of Karana, Bristlebane

BlueAcid98

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
Just a minor point... in the first post, Magician's Shock of Blades and
Wizard's Shock of Fire are compared. One thing that the poster failed to point
out was that while Shock of Blades does more damage, it is also learned at lvl
8 where as Shock of Fire is a lvl 4 spell. Obviously it would do more damage.
I currently have a lvl 8 Erudite Magician and have now started a High Elf
Wizard (almost lvl 4) to see for myself which one is actually better. While
Magicians have the summon food and drink spells as well as pets to help out,
Wizards get teleport spells. Also, at later levels, pets become less useful
since you will be in groups more often than not and teleport spells will be a
much wanted thing. Once Wizards are high enough, I can see them selling
teleports just like bindings are sold now.

Joel Weaver

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On Thu, 6 May 1999 16:46:10 -0400, "Jeff K." <jk...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

I second that. High-powered direct damage spells are the wizard's
specialty. My level 12 wizard's new Shock of Lightning spell does 78
points of damage per cast. Looking further down the road, I see that
the Shock of Force spell at level 20 can damage and stun. I don't see
any equivalent magician spell.

And don't discount the travel spells. A high level wizard can travel
to all the major spots instantly. At the highest levels, wizards can
even travel to alternate planes of existence, something that druids
cannot do.

Try to stay with the character. Levels 7-11 are really the crummiest
levels for the wizard class. If you can make it to 12, things start
looking up, and from there it keeps getting better.

Joel Weaver
jwe...@bayou.uh.edu

ZO

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
I play a Ranger mostly, but group often with a couple of wizards. To put
it simply, they rock. I saw one cast a spell for 78 damage today. That
was at level 12. A Wizard can be as much an asset to a team than any
fighter...just be patient and let him grow. The drawback? Well, you need
to like to group. Someone else has to take the hits as you dish out your
damage. That doesn't mean you can't drop a staff on the occasional head,
but you don't go very far solo.

Zo.

Enos, Half-elf Ranger nearing lev.13. Now visiting the fine but
easy-to-get-lost-in city of Kelethin. E'ci server.

Raffaele NICOLAU wrote in message <7gsreh$61t$1...@front2.grolier.fr>...
>Hey
>
>I have currently a lvl 6 wizard high elf and i begin to wonder if the wiz
is
>really a good class. They have damage spells, but all others spell caster
>class have too, better than the wizards ones (for example, shock of blades
>for magician and wizard has only shock of ifre which is less good).

Mortikhi

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
im a lvl 18 erudite wizard. currently my spells are doing 121 damage per
cast. this spell i can cast on someone 8 times before becoming mana dry.
now.....what was that you wanted to know about wizzes?

Marcaen

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On another note about wizards, they are harder to play solo (in my
opinion). The biggest problem I have when I'm solo is casting without
being interupted from the opponent hitting me. It's not too much of a
problem with one adversary, but when you have 2 or 3 on you at once,
your spells a VERY hard to use, and wizards are not fighters, so you
can hardly do any damage.

However, in a group, let the tanks take the damage while you blast
your opponents to hell and back.

Marcaen
Tarrew Marr

At level 12
On Fri, 7 May 1999 07:34:42 -0500, "Mortikhi" <mort...@mortikhi.com>

Kay-Yut Chen - remove ABC in email to reply

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On Fri, 7 May 1999 04:45:50 -0400, "ZO" <Nos...@thankyou.com> wrote:

>I play a Ranger mostly, but group often with a couple of wizards. To put
>it simply, they rock. I saw one cast a spell for 78 damage today. That
>was at level 12. A Wizard can be as much an asset to a team than any
>fighter...just be patient and let him grow. The drawback? Well, you need
>to like to group. Someone else has to take the hits as you dish out your
>damage. That doesn't mean you can't drop a staff on the occasional head,
>but you don't go very far solo.
>
>Zo.

Actually wiz is reasonable in terms of solo-ing abilities.

I practically solo from level 12-14 .. I am about 50% group and 50%
solo at 15.

Root and nuke is extremely effective way of soloing. At 12-14, you can
kill wisps, zombie sailors, lone bandits and a few other crits this
way.

Of course you also need an escape strategy when things go wrong.

Basically you can solo reasonably well and you will shine in a group
situation.

I was teaming with another wiz to kill kerra spiders (con blue at 15)
on Erud Xing last night. Another cleric (or is he necro) passing by
was amazed how fast we can kill. Basically we root and killed a kerra
spider (with about 250+ hp) under 5 sec.

Kay-Yut

K. Laisathit

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
In article <373206F6...@ams.com>, Jake Messinger <ja...@ams.com> wrote:

>puma decides to bypass me and go for him, he gets hit for 15-20 points
>of damage a pop and starts to die real fast. In the future I see or
>fights going the opposit, with me starting and dropping the monster down
>halfway before he unloads on it with his spells.

That's a better way for a wizard to fight if there is a tank. The
quickest way for mid-level wizard to get killed is this, unload a
flame shock in the first round. FS does around 100HP+, IIRC. So,
you can imagine the tank will be fighting a couple of rounds before
he beats the wizard on the hate-list. Until then, the wizard will
be beaten up into bloody pulps. IMHO, it annoys me to no end when
I'm grouped with a wizard (or any mages for that matter) who opens
up with a big spell in the first round. All the battle order is in
disarray because everybody is trying to keep the wizard alive.

In your case, I'd suggest that you beat up the critters to 2/3
then let the wizard open up with his spells. The critter won't
turn on the wizard until its heatlh is down to 1/3. At which
point, the risk to the wizard is minimal.

Later...

Dan Bongard

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99
Kay-Yut Chen - remove ABC in email to reply (kych...@hpl.hp.com) wrote:

: I practically solo from level 12-14 .. I am about 50% group and 50%
: solo at 15.

: Root and nuke is extremely effective way of soloing. At 12-14, you can
: kill wisps, zombie sailors, lone bandits and a few other crits this
: way.

: Of course you also need an escape strategy when things go wrong.

: Basically you can solo reasonably well and you will shine in a group
: situation.

Your ability to solo, however, is a bit pathetic compared to the
other spellcasting classes. A pet helps a lot. 12th-level Magicians
can kill blues without even participating in the battle -- just
summon a good pet and take a nap. :)

I agree that root-and-nuke works well. But it kind of sucks to have
to rest for 2-3 minutes after every creature you kill, even blues.
Slows things down a lot, and it isn't all that interesting. I usually
read a book. :)

-- Dan

Stefan Raets

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99
On Fri, 07 May 1999 12:54:33 GMT, bmurr...@REMOVE.earthlink.net
(Marcaen) wrote:

>On another note about wizards, they are harder to play solo (in my
>opinion). The biggest problem I have when I'm solo is casting without
>being interupted from the opponent hitting me.

Root provides an easy solution for this problem. Shadow Step or Fade
if you get jumped, then Root and blast away. I can't imagine soloing
without Root and Shadow Step ready.

Aznyin
Level 15 Erudite Wizard in exile.
Chivalric Order of Norrath
Current residence: Rivervale [Solusek Ro]

Kay-Yut Chen - remove ABC in email to reply

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99

>>puma decides to bypass me and go for him, he gets hit for 15-20 points
>>of damage a pop and starts to die real fast. In the future I see or
>>fights going the opposit, with me starting and dropping the monster down
>>halfway before he unloads on it with his spells.
>
>That's a better way for a wizard to fight if there is a tank. The
>quickest way for mid-level wizard to get killed is this, unload a
>flame shock in the first round. FS does around 100HP+, IIRC. So,
>you can imagine the tank will be fighting a couple of rounds before
>he beats the wizard on the hate-list. Until then, the wizard will
>be beaten up into bloody pulps. IMHO, it annoys me to no end when
>I'm grouped with a wizard (or any mages for that matter) who opens
>up with a big spell in the first round. All the battle order is in
>disarray because everybody is trying to keep the wizard alive.

I am playing a level 16 erudite wiz and my experience is somewhat
different.

Usually after my tank engages a mob, i can flame shock once without
the mob turning on me. If i do it twice, he will definitely turn on
me.

So what i usually do (if we fight one white/yellow mob, if more than
one, i root and nuke the first one .. also depending on how big a
group i am in) is to flame shock once, then med. Then finish the mob
at the end.

This way, i don't have to stand around with full mana doing nothing.

Of course, i adjust the strategy to situations.

Kay-Yut

Kay-Yut Chen - remove ABC in email to reply

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
>: I practically solo from level 12-14 .. I am about 50% group and 50%
>: solo at 15.
>
>: Root and nuke is extremely effective way of soloing. At 12-14, you can
>: kill wisps, zombie sailors, lone bandits and a few other crits this
>: way.
>
>: Of course you also need an escape strategy when things go wrong.
>
>: Basically you can solo reasonably well and you will shine in a group
>: situation.
>
>Your ability to solo, however, is a bit pathetic compared to the
>other spellcasting classes. A pet helps a lot. 12th-level Magicians
>can kill blues without even participating in the battle -- just
>summon a good pet and take a nap. :)

Yes, i agree. Necros and Mage solo a lot better with a lot less risk
than i do. But my point is that it is possible and even reasonable if
a wiz want to solo.

If you know the tactics, risks is minimal.

>I agree that root-and-nuke works well. But it kind of sucks to have
>to rest for 2-3 minutes after every creature you kill, even blues.
>Slows things down a lot, and it isn't all that interesting. I usually
>read a book. :)

That is the worst aspect. However, medding 2-3 min certainly beats
sitting for 20 min to heal up which is what pure tanks need to do
soloing.

And actually medding between creatures do not really slow down
leveling that much.

It depends on the group and the creature that you hunt, sometimes it
is more efficient (in terms of leveling) to solo. For example, during
level 12-14 .. it is much better for me to solo wisps.

I made level 14 in 2 days that way. (Yes, i found a spot where wisps
respawn about as fast as I med up and there is practically no one else
there.)

At level 16, i clearly cannot do the same anymore. I just moved to
Freeport and now need to find a new hunting ground and strategy.

Kay-Yut