Spell stacking? What does and does not stack?

Lewzephyr

Jul 11, 2001, 3:05:48 PM7/11/01
Spell stacking? What does and does not stack? and How are you suposed to
know?

Is there a comprehensive list or spreadsheet of stackable spells or non
stackable spells?

I hate it when I get the message your spell would not have taken hold.

Your time is appreciated.

Thanks,

Quindell

29th Cleric on the Quellious server.

Dan Harmon

Jul 11, 2001, 3:18:32 PM7/11/01

"Lewzephyr" <lewis...@cotmail.com> wrote in message

> Spell stacking? What does and does not stack? and How are you suposed to
> know?
>
> Is there a comprehensive list or spreadsheet of stackable spells or non
> stackable spells?
>
> I hate it when I get the message your spell would not have taken hold.

I don't know of any list...you just learn them as you go along (at least, I
do). Don't worry, when you see the "would not take hold" message you have
not lost any mana. To learn why it didn't take hold, ASK the person what
buffs they have up that do about what yours does.

HP buffs that you can give to others generally don't stack with another
class's, but there are exceptions (cleric symbol stacks with everything, I
think). I know of no AC, STR or AGI buffs that stack.

Again, don't worry about it...it'll come to you as you play.

StanMann

Jul 11, 2001, 3:54:56 PM7/11/01

Dan Harmon wrote:

> HP buffs that you can give to others generally don't stack with another
> class's, but there are exceptions (cleric symbol stacks with everything, I
> think). I know of no AC, STR or AGI buffs that stack.

Don't symbol and rune lines conflict?

StanMann

--
OK, I have tremendous admiration for someone who goes to the trouble of
learning American English when it isn't their native tongue, but there

Lewzephyr

Jul 11, 2001, 4:15:20 PM7/11/01
Hey, thanks for your time.... appreciate it..

"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Dan Harmon

Jul 11, 2001, 5:24:42 PM7/11/01

"StanMann" <stan...@not.there.anymore.com> wrote in message

> Dan Harmon wrote:
> >
> > HP buffs that you can give to others generally don't stack with another
> > class's, but there are exceptions (cleric symbol stacks with everything,
> > think). I know of no AC, STR or AGI buffs that stack.
>
> Don't symbol and rune lines conflict?

Nope, Rune isn't an HP buff, it's a damage absorber.

Empty

Jul 11, 2001, 6:18:18 PM7/11/01
"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in
<cE137.61077$Pf4.5...@bin1.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>:

>I think). I know of no AC, STR or AGI buffs that stack.

For druids at 9th level (where mine currently is) you have Skin Like Wood
and Thistlecoat, which do stack. Thistlecoat is an AC boost and a minor
amount of throrns damage. Shield of Thistles will also stack on top of
that, as will Holy Armor.

~Empty

--
"...felt like I'd been hit by a sex truck"
-Nyx

Suineko

Jul 12, 2001, 8:34:29 AM7/12/01

LOTS of hybrid AC buffs stack (actually stack, cumulative AC bonus),
as evidenced by the ranger line of buffs, many of which include
minor ATK, AC and damage shield components and all of which stack.

Strength of nature, call of earth, skin like <x>, etc.

Is shield of words an AC buff? That stacks too...

Dan Harmon

Jul 12, 2001, 9:35:33 AM7/12/01

"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> HP buffs that you can give to others generally don't stack with another
> class's, but there are exceptions (cleric symbol stacks with everything, I
> think). I know of no AC, STR or AGI buffs that stack.

Eh, sorry, I should have been more precise. I know of no AC-ONLY buffs that
stack. A druid's Skin buff is primarily a HP buff, and does not stack with
the free cleric HP buff. The *coat series is primarily an ATK buff/damage
shield. I'll take Empty's word that it gives AC...I never noticed it.

Enchanters get Augmentation at level 29. This spell gives lots of stuff,
including AC though at level 29 above ground it's mostly used as a long
lasting haste buff, and under water it's great for keeping your STA bar nice
& yellow.

Enchanters get an AC-only buff (I assume shaman do too, since they're the
masters of buffs) that do not stack with the cleric's AC-only buff.

Leo Johnson

Jul 12, 2001, 9:36:46 AM7/12/01

The druid "skin-like"s stack with the shaman hitpoint/ac
buffs as well, but don't stack with the clerical ones.

--

Cthulhu Loves Me
Author unknown:

Cthulhu loves me, this I know
For the High Priests tell me so
He won't eat me, no not yet
He's our Lord, all dank and wet

StanMann

Jul 12, 2001, 12:02:10 PM7/12/01

Last I heard they still don't stack. and Rune is an HP buff. Its just
an HP Buff that isn't healable. Or was last time I saw one cast.

Dan Harmon

Jul 12, 2001, 12:31:34 PM7/12/01

> > > Don't symbol and rune lines conflict?
> >
> > Nope, Rune isn't an HP buff, it's a damage absorber.
>
> Last I heard they still don't stack. and Rune is an HP buff. Its just
> an HP Buff that isn't healable. Or was last time I saw one cast.

No more than a month ago I went to the Swamp of No Hope to help a druid,
shaman, cleric, and 3 monks take down Ulump (epic guy).

Now, I can't swear to it, but I ASSUME that the cleric gave them all the
buffs he could, including Symbol (of Marzin, probably...the cleric was level
59).

Two dead monks down, I was chain casting Rune V on the remaining monk while
the shaman, druid, and cleric (all LOM, especially the cleric since she
rezzed the 2 other monks during the fight) were also doing their best to
keep him alive. I didn't get the "does not take hold" message and I
SERIOUSLY doubt if my level 52 Rune spell OVERWROTE a cleric's 54 spell.

But no, I can't swear to it. I haven't done any tests...I just think I'd've
heard by now some complaining if that were the case. :) I also can't swear
to it, but if anyone gets Rune, it's usually ME, and I THINK I'd notice and
remember if I get the message that the cleric had just wasted a peridot on
me. *shrug* And I'm too broke to test it for sure...21p is a lot of money
to me at 52 just to verify that I'm right. :)

Dream King

Jul 12, 2001, 1:42:08 PM7/12/01
StanMann <stan...@not.there.anymore.com> wrote:

>Dan Harmon wrote:
>>
>> HP buffs that you can give to others generally don't stack with another
>> class's, but there are exceptions (cleric symbol stacks with everything, I
>> think). I know of no AC, STR or AGI buffs that stack.
>
>Don't symbol and rune lines conflict?

Fairly certain symbol and rune stacks. A normal part of our buffing
procedure for tough mobs (Mainly mobs with tough AoE attacks such as
Dragons) is to have everone get Aegolism (or symbol/hero) and Rune V.

James

Jul 12, 2001, 3:50:54 PM7/12/01

Dream King wrote in message <3b64e108....@news.erols.com>...

>StanMann <stan...@not.there.anymore.com> wrote:
>>Dan Harmon wrote:
>>>
>>> HP buffs that you can give to others generally don't stack with another
>>> class's, but there are exceptions (cleric symbol stacks with everything,
>>> think). I know of no AC, STR or AGI buffs that stack.
>>
>>Don't symbol and rune lines conflict?
>
> Fairly certain symbol and rune stacks.

They do. Paranoid ENCHs that are grouped with me use Rune, and I always
keep Marzin on them. Although since I bought Naltron's Mark last night, I
might make do with just that now.

James

Celaeno

Jul 12, 2001, 6:53:32 PM7/12/01
You will not evade me, "Lewzephyr" <lewis...@cotmail.com>:

>Spell stacking? What does and does not stack? and How are you suposed to
>know?
>
>Is there a comprehensive list or spreadsheet of stackable spells or non
>stackable spells?
>
>I hate it when I get the message your spell would not have taken hold.

Druid skin spells do not stack with cleric valor spells.

Celaeno Duskwalker
Fier'dal druid of Erollisi Marr

Celaeno

Jul 13, 2001, 6:59:14 PM7/13/01
You will not evade me, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>:

>Eh, sorry, I should have been more precise. I know of no AC-ONLY buffs that
>stack. A druid's Skin buff is primarily a HP buff, and does not stack with
>the free cleric HP buff. The *coat series is primarily an ATK buff/damage
>shield. I'll take Empty's word that it gives AC...I never noticed it.

Um... where on earth did you get *coat spells giving ATK buff rather
than AC??? Methinks you got it backwards...

Sang K. Choe

Jul 15, 2001, 6:52:02 AM7/15/01
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:02:10 GMT, StanMann
<stan...@not.there.anymore.com> wrote:

>> > Don't symbol and rune lines conflict?
>>
>> Nope, Rune isn't an HP buff, it's a damage absorber.
>
>Last I heard they still don't stack. and Rune is an HP buff. Its just
>an HP Buff that isn't healable. Or was last time I saw one cast.

Get it cast on yourself again.
They stack just fine.

I think only Bedlam and Rune would conflict.

-- Sang.

Sang K. Choe

Jul 15, 2001, 6:54:11 AM7/15/01
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:35:33 GMT, "Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>> HP buffs that you can give to others generally don't stack with another
>> class's, but there are exceptions (cleric symbol stacks with everything, I
>> think). I know of no AC, STR or AGI buffs that stack.
>
>Eh, sorry, I should have been more precise. I know of no AC-ONLY buffs that
>stack. A druid's Skin buff is primarily a HP buff, and does not stack with
>the free cleric HP buff. The *coat series is primarily an ATK buff/damage
>shield.

Coat line isn't an ATK buff.
It's a mini-damage shield + AC buff.

-- Sang.

Dan Harmon

Jul 16, 2001, 11:11:47 AM7/16/01

"Celaeno" <cel...@shavenwookie.nospam.com> wrote in message

My druid always has *coat on him if he has any possibility of being hit.
He's been using it for over 2 years.

That being said I looked at the stats at the beginning, found it pretty much
a joke, thought I remembered an ATK increase. So I'm wrong. :) I always
cast it on myself if I figured I might be hit, but only because it lasts so
long. Now I'll start wearing it more often.

I was going to guess that the AC provided sucked because Bulwark of Faith
(the last cleric AC-only buff at level 55) only gave a crappy 38 AC but
comparatively speaking, *coat is a GOOD AC buff. Thorncoat, level 49 gives
32.

Eh, learn something new every day.