New Mob Reported: The Shadowed Man

Paul V

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Since people here are too busy bitching about the patch, I figured I
would mention that there is a new mob that roams the commonlands and
karanas...they are the Shadowed Men. They are a mid 20s mob and they
drop warrior only magic weapons.

Thought you would like to know.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

James Maxton Dexter

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Really magic weapons oh i need one so bad on Tunare please my name is
Kluluien
Paul V <pau...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Prostuck

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
A mask and gloves supposedly too.

Cpl. Punishment

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Ah! An intelligence report! Tell us more that we might annalyse!

David Henry

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
So we hear, also hear from some that there not useable weps.
I have a high level warrior any new weps would be welcome.

Pinolian

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Great, more warrior only weapons.. that is what we need here. If you
can't buy a combine sword by level 16 something is wrong. I bought a
combine sword at level 16 when banded ran HORRIBLY expensive(40 plat for
a tunic!), and i had almost a full set of banded then (minus cape, mask,
and boots). What did I do? I hunted where there was loot to be had..
even rusty weapons are decent cash at that level. A couple nights in a
row of killing zombies in unrest or eurid's crossing will get you the
cash you need; bronze weapons and rawhide.. Honestly.. warrior only
weapons are making me puke. Is there a curse on paladins, rangers,
rogues and shadowknights??

ok, every class needs special stuff don't get me wrong.. but making a
lot of things available to one class and ignoring others is nerve
racking. i'll get over it, but I would like to see more classes have a
share of the wealth..

--
Pinolian Shmolian -level 25 ranger
Muttun Shmuttun -level 24 druid

Bristlebane server

Lawless

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Don't forget that they are FAST AS HELL! Don't dare try to outrun them,
it will only ammuse them. They knocked off about 600 hp from me in a
matter of 15 seconds, and I never even saw what they looked like because
I was too busy fleeing.

Idain

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

>Since people here are too busy bitching about the patch, I figured I
>would mention that there is a new mob that roams the commonlands and
>karanas...they are the Shadowed Men. They are a mid 20s mob and they
>drop warrior only magic weapons.

Is it that they drop warrior only weapons, or are theese just unequipable
like others say?

Idain

Jens Lřnberg Nielsen

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
I think the Shadow Weapons are supposed for a quest ... after all they
dissappear when you log off ....

Idain <ed...@netcologne.de> wrote in message

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:39:38 -0700, "Cpl. Punishment"
<"arnorama<SPAMTRAP>"@earthlink.net> wrote:

|Ah! An intelligence report! Tell us more that we might annalyse!

Go to Stratics, and read what I wrote. ;-)

Dennis F. Heffernan EQ: Venture Fletcher(E'ci) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"There's no easy way to be free."
-- Pete Townshend, "Slip Kid"

John Henders

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
In <ZbBD3.485$Mw6....@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net> "David Henry" <dhen...@gte.net> writes:

>So we hear, also hear from some that there not useable weps.
>I have a high level warrior any new weps would be welcome.

According to Stratics they have stats worse than combine. So if you're a
real behind the curve Warrior who's L25 or so and doesn't have a combine
yet it might be all right, except for one slight problem. You need a
magic weapon to kill the Shadowed Men.

But then again, did we really need another Warrior only weapon?

--
Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v

Avatan

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
In article <7rmldc$a1f$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Paul V <pau...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Since people here are too busy bitching about the patch, I figured I
> would mention that there is a new mob that roams the commonlands and
> karanas...they are the Shadowed Men. They are a mid 20s mob and they
> drop warrior only magic weapons.
>
> Thought you would like to know.

Tailors can now craft gator and croc hides into armor for warriors only.
This armor will be impervious to piercing weapons, semi impervious to
slash weapons, impervious to fire and cold magic attacks and semi
impervious to ice and hail attacks. Blunt weapons will be the most
effective countermeasure.

Giant turtle shells can now be found and used for the Ogre and Troll
warrior has armor for the back. This armor is impervious to all back
attacks.

A new NPC is being introduced called Pega. After completing a quest,
the warrior class will be able to be transported anywhere, above ground,
in Norrath by way of this flying god. Two minutes of meditation is
required to summon Pega for transport. This will be a level 25 quest.

John Henders

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
In <37DEE392...@erols.com> Pinolian <rbi...@erols.com> writes:
>.. Honestly.. warrior only
>weapons are making me puke. Is there a curse on paladins, rangers,
>rogues and shadowknights??

You forgot Bards. But then again, so does Verant so who can blame you?

>ok, every class needs special stuff don't get me wrong.. but making a
>lot of things available to one class and ignoring others is nerve
>racking. i'll get over it, but I would like to see more classes have a
>share of the wealth..

Bards have _1_ unique item so far (not counting PoF stuff). A mistmoore
battle drum. Also, all the weapons Bards previously shared use with
Rogues on are now Rogue only.

Alasdair Allan

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
John Henders <jhen...@example.com> wrote

> In <ZbBD3.485$Mw6....@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net> "David Henry"
<dhen...@gte.net> writes:

> >So we hear, also hear from some that there not useable weps.
> >I have a high level warrior any new weps would be welcome.
>
> According to Stratics they have stats worse than combine. So if you're a
> real behind the curve Warrior who's L25 or so and doesn't have a combine
> yet it might be all right, except for one slight problem. You need a
> magic weapon to kill the Shadowed Men.
>
> But then again, did we really need another Warrior only weapon?

Hell, the Shaman is (according to Verant) supposed to be a spear users.

Yet we still only have a choice of three weapons, a bronze main gauche for 3
damage and 22 delay, a Riptide Spear for a whopping 6 damage 33 delay and a
Bone Spear for similar.

Where the fuck is the Shaman piercing weapon that can actually be effective
in combat?

Bah!

--
Alasdair Allan, Ibrox, Glasgow |England - Country where Marx developed
x-st...@null.net | the basis of Communism

X-Caliber

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Sounds liek the Druids Scimitar choices (Maybe if the Oaken
Scim was still in the game it'd be worthwhile to have... but
last I heard it's not.. so I'll stick to blunts)

Alasdair Allan <posth...@x-static.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Paul V

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Well as more info trickles in, the shadow weapons may be for a
quest...these weapons disappear when you log off (according to someone
who posted in this thread). Also, a couple of guildmembers went to
fight them and they said that the Shadowed Men are a tough fight. I'm
only level 22 so I haven't experienced them first hand.

In article <37DEE392...@erols.com>,

Pinolian <rbi...@erols.com> wrote:
> Great, more warrior only weapons.. that is what we need here. If you
> can't buy a combine sword by level 16 something is wrong. I bought a
> combine sword at level 16 when banded ran HORRIBLY expensive(40 plat
for
> a tunic!), and i had almost a full set of banded then (minus cape,
mask,
> and boots). What did I do? I hunted where there was loot to be had..
> even rusty weapons are decent cash at that level. A couple nights in a
> row of killing zombies in unrest or eurid's crossing will get you the

> cash you need; bronze weapons and rawhide.. Honestly.. warrior only

> weapons are making me puke. Is there a curse on paladins, rangers,
> rogues and shadowknights??
>

> ok, every class needs special stuff don't get me wrong.. but making a
> lot of things available to one class and ignoring others is nerve
> racking. i'll get over it, but I would like to see more classes have a
> share of the wealth..
>

> --
> Pinolian Shmolian -level 25 ranger
> Muttun Shmuttun -level 24 druid
> Angelisa -level 20 wizard
>
> Bristlebane server

Paul V

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Pega as in Pegasus? Wow this should be interesting if true...too bad
this will mean another overcamped mob

In article <7rnh4c$sst$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Avatan <ava...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> A new NPC is being introduced called Pega. After completing a quest,
> the warrior class will be able to be transported anywhere, above
ground,
> in Norrath by way of this flying god. Two minutes of meditation is
> required to summon Pega for transport. This will be a level 25 quest.

wh...@my-deja.com

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Bards also have the Minotaur Horn which is Bard only (Although having no
magical abilities). They also share a few items with the rogue such as
the ability to actually wear the Guise of the Deceiver. The good thing
about Bards is that they can use a lot of things out there that isn't
single-class specific.

Monks also have few monk-only items i.e. Sash/headbands (which are
worthless in my opinion because you give up really nice items to get an
increasingly lower return on investment) and the Sytthrak vest. More
attention should be put on these other classes. The one disadvantage is
that they can't use as much of the items out there as the other
melee classes can.

In article <7rngms$gt5$1...@00-c0-df-64-11-c6.bconnected.net>,

8ar$9ro$r...@bogon.com (John Henders) wrote:
> In <37DEE392...@erols.com> Pinolian <rbi...@erols.com> writes:

> >.. Honestly.. warrior only
> >weapons are making me puke. Is there a curse on paladins, rangers,
> >rogues and shadowknights??
>

> You forgot Bards. But then again, so does Verant so who can blame
you?

> >ok, every class needs special stuff don't get me wrong.. but making a
> >lot of things available to one class and ignoring others is nerve
> >racking. i'll get over it, but I would like to see more classes have
> >share of the wealth..
>

> Bards have _1_ unique item so far (not counting PoF stuff). A
mistmoore
> battle drum. Also, all the weapons Bards previously shared use with
> Rogues on are now Rogue only.
>
> --
> Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
> GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v
> b+++ e* s-/+ n-(?) h++ f+g+ w+++ y*

Xenomorph

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
where did you get this info?

--

WebMaster - http://xenomorph.net
Guild Leader - Seekers of Lore - Xegony Server

Avatan <ava...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Tailors can now craft gator and croc hides into armor for warriors only.
> This armor will be impervious to piercing weapons, semi impervious to
> slash weapons, impervious to fire and cold magic attacks and semi
> impervious to ice and hail attacks. Blunt weapons will be the most
> effective countermeasure.
>
> Giant turtle shells can now be found and used for the Ogre and Troll
> warrior has armor for the back. This armor is impervious to all back
> attacks.
>

> A new NPC is being introduced called Pega. After completing a quest,
> the warrior class will be able to be transported anywhere, above ground,
> in Norrath by way of this flying god. Two minutes of meditation is
> required to summon Pega for transport. This will be a level 25 quest.

Soni-ku

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Out of his ass.

C. Adams III

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:23:59 -0500, "Xenomorph"
<xeno...@NOSPAMdarkcastle.com> wrote:

>where did you get this info?

it was Sarcasm. ;)

Baenwort

When the blind leadeth the blind.....................get out of the way

Jim Williams

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
If shamans are supposed to be spear users.. why do they start out with a club?
(at least that's what my barb started with.) I moved him on to a worn great
staff. Can shamans even use piercing weapons?

Alasdair Allan wrote:

> John Henders <jhen...@example.com> wrote
> > In <ZbBD3.485$Mw6....@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net> "David Henry"
> <dhen...@gte.net> writes:
> >
> > >So we hear, also hear from some that there not useable weps.
> > >I have a high level warrior any new weps would be welcome.
> >
> > According to Stratics they have stats worse than combine. So if you're a
> > real behind the curve Warrior who's L25 or so and doesn't have a combine
> > yet it might be all right, except for one slight problem. You need a
> > magic weapon to kill the Shadowed Men.
> >
> > But then again, did we really need another Warrior only weapon?
>
> Hell, the Shaman is (according to Verant) supposed to be a spear users.
>
> Yet we still only have a choice of three weapons, a bronze main gauche for 3
> damage and 22 delay, a Riptide Spear for a whopping 6 damage 33 delay and a
> Bone Spear for similar.
>
> Where the fuck is the Shaman piercing weapon that can actually be effective
> in combat?
>
> Bah!
>
> --
> Alasdair Allan, Ibrox, Glasgow |England - Country where Marx developed
> x-st...@null.net | the basis of Communism
> X-Static's Rangers Webzine |Scotland - Country where Smith developed
> http://www.x-static.demon.co.uk/ | the basis of Capitalism

--
Jim Williams
Extra Terrestrial Imports

Barengrill

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
On the test server, I also found a group of them sitting in The Hand in the
approximate middle of Innothule Swamp. Not sure if they're there in the
"real" world.

Gowsh
Troll Warrior

Paul V <pau...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Since people here are too busy bitching about the patch, I figured I
> would mention that there is a new mob that roams the commonlands and
> karanas...they are the Shadowed Men. They are a mid 20s mob and they
> drop warrior only magic weapons.
>
> Thought you would like to know.

John Henders

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
In <7rp067$pn$1...@nnrp1.deja.com> wh...@my-deja.com writes:

>Bards also have the Minotaur Horn which is Bard only (Although having no
>magical abilities). They also share a few items with the rogue such as
>the ability to actually wear the Guise of the Deceiver. The good thing
>about Bards is that they can use a lot of things out there that isn't
>single-class specific.

And so can every other melee class, including warriors. Except, in
the case of some nice plate, every plate user _but_ the bard can
wear it (black enamaled breast plate). The only odd weapon that has
bard in the usage that other melee types can't use is the staff of
writhing, or as it's generally known, the ugly stick. Of course it takes
a huge whack out of your charisma, a very important stat, so you'd have
to be pretty odd to want to use it.

>Monks also have few monk-only items i.e. Sash/headbands (which are
>worthless in my opinion because you give up really nice items to get an
>increasingly lower return on investment) and the Sytthrak vest. More
>attention should be put on these other classes. The one disadvantage is
>that they can't use as much of the items out there as the other
>melee classes can.

Yup. Other than the classy armor from PoF, monks are pretty limited in
cool stuff that makes you happy to be a monk. The serpentine bracers are
a great monk item, except they are all/all. Rangers as well are a bit
left out in the special weapon and armor department, having to fight
with every other plate class and shamans and rogues for a shot at
rubicite plate. Only the warrior can avoid that zoo and get crafted from
some interesting and not horribly difficult quests.

It seems as if the mass warrior protest and the fact that people were
abandoning their warrior characters in droves have caused Verant to
totally focus on new goodies to make warriors more interesting, to the
exclusion of much else when they add new items. Not that I begrudge
warriors the cool toys, I'd just like to see other classes get some too.
How hard would it be for them to come up with quests for rangers,
shamans, rogues and even bards for some crafted like armor. It would
certainly ease the rubicite camping nightmare that is cazic thule.
The quest isn't overly complex. You've got one npc to program to ask for
stuff and a few unique items to spread around various mobs in the game.
Maybe their problem is they're running out of new colors for armor. :)

Marc Fuller

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

I'd like to see some unique Druid only items, at less that PoF level. The Oaken
Scimitar doesn't count, because no one seems to have seen it since the Beta.

Marc Fuller

Alasdair Allan

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
X-Caliber <x> wrote
> Alasdair Allan <posth...@x-static.demon.co.uk> wrote

> > Yet we still only have a choice of three weapons, a bronze main gauche
for
> 3
> > damage and 22 delay, a Riptide Spear for a whopping 6 damage 33 delay
and
> > Bone Spear for similar.
> >
> > Where the fuck is the Shaman piercing weapon that can actually be
> effective
> > in combat?
>
> Sounds liek the Druids Scimitar choices (Maybe if the Oaken
> Scim was still in the game it'd be worthwhile to have... but
> last I heard it's not.. so I'll stick to blunts)

No, it's nothing like the Druid Scim choice.

A level 10 Druid will likely have at least a Fine Steel Scim available and
that's a hell of a lot better than a 3 damage 23 delay *heavy* Bronze Main
Gauche.

And the Druid's at least have a decent Scimitar to look forward to at the
end of the day. Shaman's get nothing past 6/29 and both the 6/29 and 6/33,
the *only* weapons other than the Main Gauche are from *very* rare spawns.

Alasdair Allan

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
Jim Williams <j...@xtimports.com> wrote

> Alasdair Allan wrote:
>
> > Yet we still only have a choice of three weapons, a bronze main gauche
for 3
> > damage and 22 delay, a Riptide Spear for a whopping 6 damage 33 delay
and a
> > Bone Spear for similar.
> >
> > Where the fuck is the Shaman piercing weapon that can actually be
effective
> > in combat?
>
> If shamans are supposed to be spear users.. why do they start out with a
club?
> (at least that's what my barb started with.) I moved him on to a worn
great
> staff. Can shamans even use piercing weapons?

Yep but only three known weapons :-

Bronze Main Gauche (3/23) from Bronze drop critters (level 10 to 20 mobs).
Riptide Spear (6/33) rare spawn in Butcherblock Mountains.
Bone Spear (6/29) rare spawn in Lavastorm Mountains.

The Bone spear can have a limited effectiveness and with Alacrity is an OK
weapon but to be honest a shaman at high levels needs a War Maul, Observer
Staff or one of the really good 2h blunts to melee effectively.