Another group exp question

1 view

Asmodean

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
Greetings,
I am a 22nd level Ranger grouping with a 25th level Shaman and a 28th
level Ranger. Am I losing much exp being grouped with the other two
characters or is it a negligible difference? Some people have told me that
I shouldn't and others say it doesn't really matter at those levels of exp
within the group. Can someone give me some feedback?
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Mike Kaspar

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
I think that group experience works like this.

Total the levels, then divide your level by total levels, to see what
percentage of experience you are receiving.
In your case, 22 / 75 = roughly 29% give or take rounding.

This will hurt you if you are hunting stuff that is green to the 28th,
because I think he still takes away that percentage. So even if he is not
getting experience, 37% of the potential experience from the critter is
being washed away by him being in the group.

On the other hand this can be offset by hunting higher level critters.
Surely with a 25 shaman and a 28 ranger you should be able to take Aviak
Rooks or maybe even Harriers, not to mention equivalent centaurs. These
should be at least yellow to you and hopefully red. 29% of a red critter
(to you) is probably more than 33% of a white critter if your whole group
was the same level as you.

In summary, if you hunt level 22 critters it hurts you, if you hunt 25+
critters it is not a bad thing.

Mike Kaspar
30 Shaman, EMarr
"Asmodean" <asmodean...@msn.com> wrote in message

Morgan

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00

Mike Kaspar wrote:

> I think that group experience works like this.
>
> Total the levels, then divide your level by total levels, to see what
> percentage of experience you are receiving.
> In your case, 22 / 75 = roughly 29% give or take rounding.
>
> This will hurt you if you are hunting stuff that is green to the 28th,
> because I think he still takes away that percentage. So even if he is not
> getting experience, 37% of the potential experience from the critter is
> being washed away by him being in the group.
>
> On the other hand this can be offset by hunting higher level critters.
> Surely with a 25 shaman and a 28 ranger you should be able to take Aviak
> Rooks or maybe even Harriers, not to mention equivalent centaurs. These
> should be at least yellow to you and hopefully red. 29% of a red critter
> (to you) is probably more than 33% of a white critter if your whole group
> was the same level as you.
>
> In summary, if you hunt level 22 critters it hurts you, if you hunt 25+
> critters it is not a bad thing.

Experience is shared according to total experience, not level.

From the XP tables at:
http://www.geocities.com/orderoftheblackdagger/EQexp2/

Human Ranger, level 22: 12.9M - 14.9M xp
Barbarian Shaman, level 25: 14.5M - 16.4M xp
Human Ranger, level 28: 27.5M - 30.7M xp

Picking numbers that make the math come out nice, assume they have
14M, 16M, and 30M experience. The level 22 Ranger will get 14/60
or a little under 1/4 of the groups experience. The Shaman will
get a similar amount (16/60) and the level 28 Ranger will get half
the total experience earned by the group.

Assuming they could find a productive place to hunt, the level 22
Ranger and the Shaman would probably be better off without the
level 28 Ranger. Of course, life is better with nice friends
regardless of their level and their effect on the experience split.

--
Morgan
(crossposting all posts to rec.games.computer.everquest)

Larry A

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00

Morgan <mor...@misleading.com> wrote in message

Actually, the best thing to do is hunt anything that gives the _lowest_
level exp. This assumes that the three are friends and would like to stick
together some. If the highest level gets no exp, then he gets no exp and it
is split between the two lower players. Ditto if you kill something the
lowest player only gets exp for. Only works efficiently if you have a tank
as one of the players IMO.

Brian Cain

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
I don't think it works that way. Think of it this way. Will you, as a level
20 ranger (for example) get experience attacking a hill giant when you are
grouped with a level 50? The giant is green to the 50 and red to you so you
are saying that you would get xp? Then why shouldn't everyone group with a
high level? and just let them kill the mobs for them.. New line of
twinking..

But I don't think that Verant would have let something like that slip their
notice.. IMO.

Vincent Archer

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Larry A (rdti...@rdti.com) wrote:
> Actually, the best thing to do is hunt anything that gives the _lowest_
> level exp. This assumes that the three are friends and would like to stick
> together some. If the highest level gets no exp, then he gets no exp and it
> is split between the two lower players. Ditto if you kill something the
> lowest player only gets exp for. Only works efficiently if you have a tank
> as one of the players IMO.

Doesn't work that way. Experience is *FIRST* split according the group
formula (i.e., chop down any too low level players, split according to
your start level XP), and *THEN*, any player for which the mob was too
green get no XP, the rest gets XP.

The high level character stills soaks half xp. He just doesn't get any
of it.
--
Vincent Archer Email: arc...@nevrax.com

Nevrax France. Off on the yellow brick road we go!

Tony Perry

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
The lowest level a 50 can group with that will still get exp is 33.
Somewhere around low teens the level cap for grouping changes to 1.5 * (Your
level). Even though the 50 wont get xp, the 33 wont get as much as if they
got the experience solo from the mob.

Brian Cain <bc...@mac-ad.com> wrote in message

Azmogeddon

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Even if you gain no experience (through the mob being green or from
being too far below the highest level player in the group), you still
take your share of experience from the other members of the party, so
your share is wasted.

In article <sf69cf...@corp.supernews.com>, Larry A
<rdti...@rdti.com> writes

>Actually, the best thing to do is hunt anything that gives the _lowest_
>level exp. This assumes that the three are friends and would like to stick
>together some. If the highest level gets no exp, then he gets no exp and it
>is split between the two lower players. Ditto if you kill something the
>lowest player only gets exp for. Only works efficiently if you have a tank
>as one of the players IMO.

Azmogeddon