$$$ vs XP

1 view

Tukul

Mar 26, 2001, 5:47:39 PM3/26/01
I've seen and read many a post, article and player guide that say hunt here
or there and lvl quickly.
What I have never seen is a good guide that tells where to hunt for $$$,
coin, plat, etc.

I would be very interested in this as I have a lvl 14 Barb Rogue that is
trying to make his way in the world
and would like to hunt something other than orcs. :)

Tukul
Urabus on the Prexus server

Brent Ingler

Mar 26, 2001, 6:00:28 PM3/26/01

Well, your best bet right now would probably be to go out to North Ro
and get in a Derv Group. Alot of the Dervs there drop Bronze weapons
which can go for 2-5pp each. You can also get a reasonable amount of
money off of each Mob (anywhere between 1sp and 3gp). You could also go
to Oasis and hunt at the Derv camp there. You get alot of drive-by's
from Orc Warriors, Dry Bones Skeletons, and a few other pretty good
Mobs, many of which either drop bronze, or at least some good money. If
you do go to Oasis, though, make sure that you look at what you are
targeting before you start to hit it. There is a VERY distinct
difference between "A Orc Warrior" and "An Orc Warrior". The "A" orcs
are much harder than the "An" orcs.

At your level, money generation is still going to be pretty slow going.
My Barb. Warrior just dinged 15 & 16 this weekend (in Blackburrow,
actually, going after elites, commanders and splitpaws), so I am now
going to take him to look for a Mammoth group in Everfrost. If you can
find them, a few mid to high teens can take down a Mammoth pretty
easily, and the tusks go for about 25-30pp each, I believe. Not too bad
of a take, just keep a few backpacks on you so you have the room, as
they are not stackable, or have the Shaman in your group (which you
really will need) summon a few spirit pouches for you. Just be careful
with them because they're NO RENT and will not be there when you come
back if you log or go LD.

Brent

Ray Rocker

Mar 26, 2001, 6:41:27 PM3/26/01

There aren't too many options for quick money at that level.
Probably the best would be willowisps. They are level 9-11 thus
high green to low blue con at level 14. You do need magic weapons
to hit them, and they will aggro you if and only if you're battling
another wisp.

Their uncommon drop is the Greater Lightstone, which may be
turned in to a gypsy in North Karana for a Concordance of Research
(container for caster research practice). The Concordance may be
sold back to the gypsy for 7-8 pp. There is also a dark elf in
South Ro who gives the same quest. Sometimes you will see players
offering to buy them for nearly that price, I assume twinks
who want the quest xp as opposed to the cash.

A more common drop is a Lightstone which itself sells for 7-8 gp
to merchants.

The wisps may be found in abundance on the island in Erud's Crossing
(warning: if you get swarmed, you will die, since there's nowhere to
run), and also in lesser quantities in Qeynos Hills, West & North
Karana, the Commonlands, Nektulos, and a few other places.

--
Ray Rocker
roc...@datasync.com

Eq Caster

Mar 26, 2001, 6:44:29 PM3/26/01
Ok Here is a method to get some extra exp and some decent plat at your
level. Hunt Willowisps turn in lightstones and Greater Lightstones to
Mrysila the gypsy in NK she will give you a book for lightstones and the
Cordence for Greater Lightstones the book will sell for about 2 pp and the
Cordence sells for 8-9pp.

"Tukul" <te...@oz.net> wrote in message

David Van Cleef

Mar 26, 2001, 9:28:46 PM3/26/01
In article <99ok37$kl$1...@shell.datasync.com>, Ray Rocker wrote:
>In article <99ogp7$m6i$1...@news.chatlink.com>, Tukul <te...@oz.net> wrote:
>>I've seen and read many a post, article and player guide that say hunt here
>>or there and lvl quickly.
>>What I have never seen is a good guide that tells where to hunt for $$$,
>>coin, plat, etc.
>>
>>I would be very interested in this as I have a lvl 14 Barb Rogue that is
>>trying to make his way in the world
>>and would like to hunt something other than orcs. :)
>
>There aren't too many options for quick money at that level.
>Probably the best would be willowisps. They are level 9-11 thus
>high green to low blue con at level 14. You do need magic weapons
>to hit them, and they will aggro you if and only if you're battling
>another wisp.
>
>Their uncommon drop is the Greater Lightstone, which may be
>turned in to a gypsy in North Karana for a Concordance of Research
>(container for caster research practice). The Concordance may be
>sold back to the gypsy for 7-8 pp. There is also a dark elf in
>South Ro who gives the same quest. Sometimes you will see players
>offering to buy them for nearly that price, I assume twinks
>who want the quest xp as opposed to the cash.

There is a little known third gypsy that you can turn in lightstones to -
Synthian (or something like that) in Oasis of Marr.

Oren Phipps

Mar 27, 2001, 6:21:44 AM3/27/01
Actually the mammoth tusks go for 8 to 10pp each and will not fit in a
large pack but require their own slot. Not to worry buy a large sewing
kit you can fit 8 in there nicely.

Also while i'm at it, I always use large sewing kits instead of packs they
weigh less and hold as much or more. For each large sewing kit you save and
thus are able to loot 3 - 4 lbs more.

Xhi

"Brent Ingler" <m...@noyb.com> wrote in message

Richard Burge

Mar 27, 2001, 4:53:34 PM3/27/01
Oren Phipps <x...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Actually the mammoth tusks go for 8 to 10pp each and will not fit in a
> large pack but require their own slot. Not to worry buy a large sewing
> kit you can fit 8 in there nicely.
>
> Also while i'm at it, I always use large sewing kits instead of packs they
> weigh less and hold as much or more. For each large sewing kit you save and
> thus are able to loot 3 - 4 lbs more.

Or use toolboxes if you can find them - same deal, weight 0.4, 8 giant
size slots, but they cost about a tenth of the price of a sewing kit.

Stephen Rose

Mar 27, 2001, 8:11:51 AM3/27/01

Even better, if you can get to Velious: one of the Gnome Pirates in
Iceclad sells deluxe toolboxes. 10 slot, hold any size stuff, cost
just over 1pp.

Steve

Sean Kennedy

Mar 27, 2001, 9:32:00 AM3/27/01

Stephen Rose <cjj...@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message

That almost makes tailored backpacks useless. (Those
who are worried about an accidental combine might sleep
better with the backpacks :-)

Since I always close my packs with a right click, I should
(*SHOULD*) be fairly safe with them.

Brent Ingler

Mar 27, 2001, 11:40:39 AM3/27/01
Oren Phipps wrote:

> Actually the mammoth tusks go for 8 to 10pp each and will not fit in a
> large pack but require their own slot. Not to worry buy a large sewing
> kit you can fit 8 in there nicely.
>
> Also while i'm at it, I always use large sewing kits instead of packs they
> weigh less and hold as much or more. For each large sewing kit you save and
> thus are able to loot 3 - 4 lbs more.
>
> Xhi

Such is the differing economy among the servers. On the server that my
main is on, Mammoth Tusks will actually go for about 25-30pp at the
vendors. Good idea about the sewing kits, though.

Brent

NarkyBark

Mar 27, 2001, 11:51:37 AM3/27/01

"Tukul" <te...@oz.net> wrote in message

I always recommend Lavastorm. The zone's never that busy, and the monsters
are not only good xp, but drop mad loot. Ore, small gems, and plat are not
uncommon loot from several of the critters there. There are several
connecting zones in case you get in trouble, and there's even vendors in the
zone! I spent several levels here, and thought it was well worth it.

Robert

Mar 27, 2001, 1:00:57 PM3/27/01
> If you can
>find them, a few mid to high teens can take down a Mammoth pretty
>easily, and the tusks go for about 25-30pp each, I believe.

What secver is that? On Xegony one gets 8 to 10pp per tusk, depending
obn charisma.

Sergey Dashevskiy

Mar 27, 2001, 1:12:46 PM3/27/01
In article <l8l1ctk65tdj60gsb...@4ax.com>,
rja...@bellsouth.net says...

The maximum I've gotten was 11.something plat. That was with "warmly"
faction to the vendor, and price-capped charisma. I think 25-30 pp is
either a mistake, or a different type of tusks

--
Vedun Dazhbog/Rusich Smaks, 51 shamonk (mystiple?)
Strakh Smerti, 34 shadowknight

Brent Ingler

Mar 27, 2001, 1:24:01 PM3/27/01

Mithaniel Marr. I've talked to lots of folks who have sold them for that
much at the vendors. They may have been blowing smoke, but it was my
understanding that this was the going rate around there.

Brent

Brent Ingler

Mar 27, 2001, 1:27:32 PM3/27/01
Sergey Dashevskiy wrote:

> The maximum I've gotten was 11.something plat. That was with "warmly"
> faction to the vendor, and price-capped charisma. I think 25-30 pp is
> either a mistake, or a different type of tusks

Could very well be. Had I been able to get into a group for them last
night, I would have, and would have a better idea as to what they go
for, for reporting purposes, but I ended up going to LoIO instead.
Needless to say, it'll be a while before I head back to Everfrost to
take a look.

Brent

Moriarty

Mar 28, 2001, 10:00:31 AM3/28/01

David Van Cleef wrote:

Has anyone tried turning in GLS's to this third gypsy? I have tried talking
to her with my Barb Shaman, but she does not respond at all. I was a
little hesitant to turn in a GLS to her without her even speaking to me
about a <Concordance> like the other NPC's. If this works, it would
be a real time saver for some of my other characters, not to mention a
possible life saver if I don't have to cross HH and EK and hope a Grizzly
or Griff or other MoB doesn't kill me at NK.

Moriarty

Richard Burge

Mar 28, 2001, 7:20:30 PM3/28/01
Moriarty <mori...@erinet.com> wrote:

> > There is a little known third gypsy that you can turn in lightstones to -
> > Synthian (or something like that) in Oasis of Marr.
>
> Has anyone tried turning in GLS's to this third gypsy? I have tried talking
> to her with my Barb Shaman, but she does not respond at all.

She doesn't have the scripted responses of the gypsy in NK, but she will
give xp & concordances/research books exactly the same.

I wonder if the other gypsy camps have a similarly reticent lightstone
person? Anyone tried the gypsies in Lavastorm?

You can also hand in lightstones to Smith T'vysa (or something) in South
Ro, if you're a dark race (not tried with a good-aligned character)

Leo Johnson

Mar 28, 2001, 10:00:22 AM3/28/01

Moriarty wrote:

> David Van Cleef wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> > There is a little known third gypsy that you can turn in lightstones to -
> > Synthian (or something like that) in Oasis of Marr.
>
> Has anyone tried turning in GLS's to this third gypsy? I have tried talking
> to her with my Barb Shaman, but she does not respond at all. I was a
> little hesitant to turn in a GLS to her without her even speaking to me
> about a <Concordance> like the other NPC's. If this works, it would
> be a real time saver for some of my other characters, not to mention a
> possible life saver if I don't have to cross HH and EK and hope a Grizzly
> or Griff or other MoB doesn't kill me at NK.
>
> Moriarty

She doesn't respond to hails, but she does do the quest, I
have done it before, i was nervous the first time too, but
figured i would try since I had a pack full on me.

--

Got SoW?

Da Rocket Avenger

Mar 28, 2001, 11:14:51 AM3/28/01
I posted something similar with some other in The Newbie Zone a long
time ago and it has seem to become a popular 'newbie" guide of a
different kind. It basically puts money as the priority in the early
years so you don't have to worry about it later on and you can
concentrate on leveling.

In my early years, 6-14, I established a basic routine of collecting
DFB's to make money. I camped the orcs in EC nightly collecting belts
and putting them in backpacks. 8/packs. I would wait until I had 4 packs
before selling any of them. then I would sell them for 110pp inc. the
backpacks. It would take me 2 days to fill 4 packs. This is based on the
principle that you can ask for more plat when belts come in quantities.
We often say,"that's 16 newbies that you don't have to mess with." I
repeated this sequence until I had some 4k plat. At the same time I had
reached level 14. I bought a suit of imbued fine plate armor and an axe
of iron black leaving me 1000pp in the bank. from that point on I never
had to worry about money ever again as the natural progression of events
from that point on generated all I could handle.
I left the orcs camp for the derv camp in WC. I left the derv camp at 18
for the bigger orcs in Oasis. I left the orcs in Oasis for the ogres on
Ogre Island. At 22 I left the ogres for the sarnaks in Lake of Ill Omen
moving to Firona Vie. At 25 I left the sarnaks for the giants at
Frontier Mountains where common loot was up to 40pp to 600pp, and so on
and so on.
I am a human pally, so places that welcomed me were limited in that
regard.

Avenger.

Edward Teach

Mar 28, 2001, 8:45:23 PM3/28/01
Actually they fit nicely into a spirit pouch or Demensional pocket.
and the added 0 weight is a plus to all. But like previously stated,
the are no rent. So ya gotta be careful.
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 05:21:44 -0600, "Oren Phipps" <x...@earthlink.net>

Todd Carnes

Mar 29, 2001, 11:02:16 PM3/29/01
Oooh, I want some. :)

Todd Carnes

Mar 29, 2001, 11:00:49 PM3/29/01
And I thought I was the only one who prefered sewing kits over backpacks. :)

"Oren Phipps" <x...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Tim Smith

Apr 3, 2001, 11:14:23 PM4/3/01
Richard Burge <rb_u...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> Also while i'm at it, I always use large sewing kits instead of packs they
>> weigh less and hold as much or more. For each large sewing kit you save and
>> thus are able to loot 3 - 4 lbs more.
>
>Or use toolboxes if you can find them - same deal, weight 0.4, 8 giant
>size slots, but they cost about a tenth of the price of a sewing kit.

Or use deluxe toolboxes...about the same cost as a large sewing kit, but
10 slots instead of 8. The weight on all the tradeskill containers is
being raised significantly in the next patch, so there's no way to know
now which will be better from a weight point of view. (They are also
making it so tradeskill containers will refuse to combine things that
aren't valid, so they will be much safer to use. Player-made packs are
having their weight reduction factor increased to lure people into using
them instead of cheap tradeskill containers, and weight reducing
containers are being labeled with their weight reduction, since most
people don't even realize that player-made packs reduce weight).

--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Apr 3, 2001, 11:23:19 PM4/3/01
Sean Kennedy <kse...@NOSPAM.uswest.net> wrote:
>That almost makes tailored backpacks useless. (Those
>who are worried about an accidental combine might sleep
>better with the backpacks :-)

Tailored backpacks reduce the weight of items in them. Deluxe toolboxes
do not.

Don't make any container decisions until the next patch.

--Tim Smith