MW newbie questions

Ryan Stewart

Sep 6, 2003, 7:03:37 PM9/6/03
"Darin Johnson" <da...@usa.net> wrote in message
news:cu1smn9...@nokia.com...
> 1) Can anything be done with the strange Dwemer steam machines
> in Arkngthang? Are they just decoration? Also the various
> Dwemer tubes, gears, and cylinders, are they just things to sell
> or do they have a real use other than being on a shelf in my mini
> museum?
>
> What about the "observatory" room there, is there anything special
> going on? I assume it's just decoration, but it was difficult to get
> to as if it was a special prize for exploring. Similar with the deep
> mines, where I levitated up to all the levels but only found a poorly
> equipped chest.
In my experience, most Dwemer stuff is decoration or sellable, as the case
may be. However there are a few quests in the game that require items such
as a Dwemer tube or puzzle box. I'm not quite sure what observatory you're
talking about though. It's been a while since I visited Arkngthang, or
whatever it is.

> 2) Does speed affect anything other than walk/run/swim speeds? Ie,
> can it help combat?

It governs certain skills, like Short Blade, making your use of that skill
more effective with higher Speed.

> 3) I've "solved" two quests so far that weren't actually assigned
> to me. The Hlaalu murder and freeing some imperial in what I think
> was a Daedra shrine. If I later join a faction that assign these
> quests, does it mess up my promotion opportunities, or otherwise
> confuse the game?

No, it won't confuse anything. You'll just get to that quest and get to say
it's done without having to do anything. In some cases, the scripts are
written so that the NPC will say something like "I was going to have you do
this, but it seems you've already taken care of the matter. Thank you." They
do give you all applicable rewards and such.

--
Ryan Stewart, A1C USAF
805 CSS/SCBE

Ryan Stewart

Sep 6, 2003, 8:44:19 PM9/6/03
> Which brings up the question - what does "governs a skill" really
> mean? Does a stat of 50 add 50 skill points to all skills it covers,
> or increase the skills by 50%, or what?

That, I can't really say. I just know that it makes a difference. I've tried
not to learn *too* much of the game's inner workings and just let them play
out on their own. It leaves room for discovery.

Eric Gill

Sep 6, 2003, 8:55:31 PM9/6/03
Darin Johnson <da...@usa.net> wrote in news:cu1k78l...@nokia.com:

> "Ryan Stewart" <zap...@no.texas.spam.net> writes:
>
>> > 2) Does speed affect anything other than walk/run/swim speeds? Ie,
>> > can it help combat?
>> >
>> It governs certain skills, like Short Blade, making your use of that
>> skill more effective with higher Speed.
>

> Which brings up the question - what does "governs a skill" really
> mean? Does a stat of 50 add 50 skill points to all skills it covers,
> or increase the skills by 50%, or what?

Works a couple of ways. First, you cannot raise a skill over it's governing
attribute. If you hit this limit, you must first find a way to up your
attribute before your skill will increase.

Second, when using a skill, the governing attribute influences your chances
of doing it successfully and, if applicable, how well the results turn out.

For example, a high agility helps your chances of hitting an opponent with
a short blade, and the damage you do when you connect.

Other attributes may add to this; strength helps damage of any weapon, and
luck helps no matter what you're doing - at least a little.

The exact amounts may be available as reference somwhere; to enjoy the game
you really don't need the specifics.

ALMA ENGELS

Sep 6, 2003, 11:24:22 PM9/6/03

> 1) Can anything be done with the strange Dwemer steam machines
> in Arkngthang? Are they just decoration? Also the various
> Dwemer tubes, gears, and cylinders, are they just things to sell
> or do they have a real use other than being on a shelf in my mini
> museum?
>
> What about the "observatory" room there, is there anything special
> going on? I assume it's just decoration, but it was difficult to get
> to as if it was a special prize for exploring. Similar with the deep
> mines, where I levitated up to all the levels but only found a poorly
> equipped chest.

There is a circular ledge in that and other observatory. You need to
levitate (or possibly jump) go reach it. There is something there but it is
not too valuable.

Aelyria

> 2) Does speed affect anything other than walk/run/swim speeds? Ie,
> can it help combat?
>

> 3) I've "solved" two quests so far that weren't actually assigned
> to me. The Hlaalu murder and freeing some imperial in what I think
> was a Daedra shrine. If I later join a faction that assign these
> quests, does it mess up my promotion opportunities, or otherwise
> confuse the game?
>

> --
> Darin Johnson
> My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance -- Babylon 5

ALMA ENGELS

Sep 6, 2003, 11:30:13 PM9/6/03

"Eric Gill" <eric...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Darin Johnson <da...@usa.net> wrote in news:cu1k78l...@nokia.com:

> >> It governs certain skills, like Short Blade, making your use of that
> >> skill more effective with higher Speed.
> >
> > Which brings up the question - what does "governs a skill" really
> > mean? Does a stat of 50 add 50 skill points to all skills it covers,
> > or increase the skills by 50%, or what?
>
> Works a couple of ways. First, you cannot raise a skill over it's
governing
> attribute. If you hit this limit, you must first find a way to up your
> attribute before your skill will increase.

You can raise a skill above its governing attribute by using it but not by
training.

> Second, when using a skill, the governing attribute influences your
chances
> of doing it successfully and, if applicable, how well the results turn
out.

> For example, a high agility helps your chances of hitting an opponent with
> a short blade, and the damage you do when you connect.
>
> Other attributes may add to this; strength helps damage of any weapon, and
> luck helps no matter what you're doing - at least a little.
>
> The exact amounts may be available as reference somwhere; to enjoy the
game
> you really don't need the specifics.

It seems that other attributes affect a skill. For instance if you are low
in agility, your blows may miss more than they connect.
My current character is a high elf magic user. He started out with a major
skill of Conjuration which gave him the bound daggar and summon ancestor
spells. His summon ancestor spell was about 90 percent probable. When he
found and equipped the Mentor's Ring, the probability immediately rose 3
percent. Unequiping the ring made it drop back the 3 percent.

Aelyria

Baggers

Sep 7, 2003, 10:07:21 AM9/7/03

> What about the "observatory" room there, is there anything special
> going on? I assume it's just decoration, but it was difficult to get
> to as if it was a special prize for exploring. Similar with the deep
> mines, where I levitated up to all the levels but only found a poorly
> equipped chest.

> 2) Does speed affect anything other than walk/run/swim speeds? Ie,
> can it help combat?

If you are using spear or marksman it can keep you out of range of your
attacker, but I've not seen it have an effect on any weapon swings other
than short-blade which I think is speed dependent.

> 3) I've "solved" two quests so far that weren't actually assigned
> to me. The Hlaalu murder and freeing some imperial in what I think
> was a Daedra shrine. If I later join a faction that assign these
> quests, does it mess up my promotion opportunities, or otherwise
> confuse the game?

Solved the Hlaalu murder in another quest so when I was asked about a job I
was told that I was going to be asked to investigate but had already killed
the murder so I was given the reward and faction boost.

Baggers

Sidhain

Sep 7, 2003, 9:01:40 PM9/7/03

> "Baggers" <dob...@fast24.co.uk> writes:
>
> > If you are using spear or marksman it can keep you out of range of your
> > attacker, but I've not seen it have an effect on any weapon swings other
> > than short-blade which I think is speed dependent.
>
> Marksman is another question. I made it a major skill, but discovered
> that when shooting arrows at a mud crab at point blank range, only
> one arrow in ten hits.
>
> --

Well at point blank range that be a problem. I've got a character with it as
a major skill, and I can often kill someone in two crosbow shots an or
two-three arrows (crossbows damage is flat but less for most of the weapons
bows are much more random but tend to have higher ranges),

In generall I miss only people zig zagging back and forth in front of me
with my marksman centered character.

Baggers

Sep 7, 2003, 9:00:37 PM9/7/03

> "Baggers" <dob...@fast24.co.uk> writes:
>
> > If you are using spear or marksman it can keep you out of range of your
> > attacker, but I've not seen it have an effect on any weapon swings
> > other than short-blade which I think is speed dependent.
>
> Marksman is another question. I made it a major skill, but discovered
> that when shooting arrows at a mud crab at point blank range, only
> one arrow in ten hits.

When you get marksman and agility up it becomes much more accurate. I find
aiming at point-blank range is actually much harder than from a short
distance.

Baggers

ALMA ENGELS

Sep 7, 2003, 9:30:14 PM9/7/03

> "Baggers" <dob...@fast24.co.uk> writes:
>
> > If you are using spear or marksman it can keep you out of range of your
> > attacker, but I've not seen it have an effect on any weapon swings other
> > than short-blade which I think is speed dependent.
>
> Marksman is another question. I made it a major skill, but discovered
> that when shooting arrows at a mud crab at point blank range, only
> one arrow in ten hits.
>
> --
> Darin Johnson
> Laziness is the father of invention

Weapons you throw work better there. Try throwing knives etc. An advantage
to these is that nothing wears out and needs repairs.
Aelyria

ALMA ENGELS

Sep 7, 2003, 9:31:53 PM9/7/03

> "ALMA ENGELS" <thir...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
> > There is a circular ledge in that and other observatory. You need to
> > levitate (or possibly jump) go reach it. There is something there but
it is
> > not too valuable.
>
> Hmm, I levitated up there, but nothing was on the ledge. I even
> wandered up and down on the telescope itself. Maybe I need to peer
> at the ground closer?
>
> I wonder if the prizes are just random chests with treasure that
> increases as you level up, so they just seem ho-hum when I'm level 5.
>
> --
> Darin Johnson
> Caution! Under no circumstances confuse the mesh with the
> interleave operator, except under confusing circumstances!

Its there but you have to walk around the ledge. It is a Dwemer cylinder or
something similar.
Aelyria

Magnus Itland

Sep 8, 2003, 1:57:18 AM9/8/03
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 00:37:26 GMT, Darin Johnson <da...@usa.net> wrote:

> Marksman is another question. I made it a major skill, but discovered
> that when shooting arrows at a mud crab at point blank range, only
> one arrow in ten hits.

There is, in my experience, a penalty to point blank. Try standing a bit
further away.

--
The Cosmic Consciousness is watching you.

The Horny Goat

Sep 8, 2003, 2:21:56 AM9/8/03
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:55:31 GMT, Eric Gill <eric...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> Which brings up the question - what does "governs a skill" really
>> mean? Does a stat of 50 add 50 skill points to all skills it covers,
>> or increase the skills by 50%, or what?
>
>Works a couple of ways. First, you cannot raise a skill over it's governing
>attribute. If you hit this limit, you must first find a way to up your
>attribute before your skill will increase.

I have something VERY interesting going on in my present game - I've
got alchemy now at 97 while intelligence is only at 80. What happened
is that when I took first took alchemy higher than intelligence I had
a fortify intelligence potion active (actually 3 or 4 of them for a
total temporary IQ of 200+) and was surprised to learn that myalchemy
skill didn't fall back when the fortify wore off. I was actually doing
it to get a LARGE number of potions to sell to my favorite scamp
rather than any desire particularly to raise the skill (but making 100
potions is still a little cheaper than training - and you've still got
the potions to sell when done).

Julie d'Aubigny

Sep 8, 2003, 2:48:01 AM9/8/03
Eric Gill wrote:

> > Which brings up the question - what does "governs a skill" really
> > mean? Does a stat of 50 add 50 skill points to all skills it covers,
> > or increase the skills by 50%, or what?
>
> Works a couple of ways. First, you cannot raise a skill over it's governing
> attribute. If you hit this limit, you must first find a way to up your
> attribute before your skill will increase.

You can't train a skill over its governing attribute, but you can
increase it past that point through actual in-game use.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kalima...@oakthorne.com | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

Rick Russell

Sep 8, 2003, 3:18:37 PM9/8/03
In article <cu1u17n...@nokia.com>, Darin Johnson <da...@usa.net> wrote:
> I've used several ranges, with both slow moving mud crabs and large
> cliff racers.

If the target is at the same elevation as you, aim for the top of the
target.

If it's much higher than you, aim above the target.

If it's lower than you, aim at the target or slightly below it.

Sometimes it takes several shots to get the angle right. But that's OK; the monster doesn't wake up and attack you until you fire in the right place.

> I suspect the arrow may be dropping, but I can't see it
> well enough to know how high over the target I need to keep the
> crosshairs. My agility is reasonably high (60?) and marksman is 30.

I'm surprised; arrows are usually pretty easy to see. Maybe you need
to dump those camo-style chitin arrows in favor of iron or steel?

By comparison, crossbow bolts are MUCH harder to see -- that's one
reason I don't like them very much.

Rick R.

Baggers

Sep 8, 2003, 6:43:16 PM9/8/03
> "ALMA ENGELS" <thir...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>

> I also levitated above the ruins on the outside, where I could see the
> outside of the telescope and the circular room. (I got the "stop the
> moon" blessing in Vivec and wanted to see how far I could travel
> before it wore off)

It goes a LONG way doesn't it. I've not tried getting to Solstheim with it
yet but I completed the pilgramage where you are supposed to talk to no one
in relative simlicity thanks to it.

Baggers

Baggers

Sep 8, 2003, 8:42:38 PM9/8/03

> I had climbed Mt. Fuji in July, and was hoping to see if the volcano
> was similar in any way. It wasn't; except for the huts to sleep in
> and the fog. A nice sandy crunch sound when walking would have worked
> well though. Maybe a merchant bottled water and oxygen.

And levitation potions?

Baggers

Merlin

Sep 14, 2003, 4:15:25 PM9/14/03

"Rick Russell" <ri...@is.rice.edu> skrev i en meddelelse

On the other hand the trajectory is flatter, and the aiming more
precise. Keeping the crosshair dead center works most of the
time. Personally I prefer stars and throwing knifes

merlin

Fat

Jun 11, 2014, 1:20:44 PM6/11/14
Observatory,,, levitate or jump to shelf and find a tube I think.

Fat

Jun 20, 2014, 6:41:25 AM6/20/14
In the observatory , fly up to top where you find a ledge, item(s) laying
there