Google Groups không còn hỗ trợ đăng ký sử dụng hoặc đăng nội dung mới trên Usenet. Bạn vẫn có thể xem nội dung cũ.

Dune 2000, a very disappointing game.

284 lượt xem
Chuyển tới thư đầu tiên chưa đọc

Peter Martin

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 17 thg 10, 199817/10/98
đến
I didn't like Dune 2000 at all, and feel ripped off. Here's why;

1) It seems to be just a copy of Command and Conquer, with different cut
scenes. The units are renamed, but do the same things. ( a Ornithopter, a
Helicopter). They've changed the graphic of how it looks, but really it's
just the same.

2) Even with the speed setting set on maximum, the game runs so slowly. Most
of the time, you just sit there waiting for your units to build. Defend your
base from one or two unit attacks, but otherwise, it's sit, wait, sit, wait,
sit, wait. I suggest downloading the trainer just to speed up the build
time.

3) The missions are boring, lack challenge, and are all very similar to each
other. It's just that with each new mission, you get do build a few
different units. The mission structure is the same, no matter what side you
play.

4) The player gets to play one of three particular sides, supposedly having
different abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Well apart from one weapon
each, (the super weapon you can't build until the last one or two missions),
it all looked the same to me. Same barracks, same Refinery, same Wind Trap.
YAWN.

5) The story line, if there is one, is crap. The DUNE story use the spice
for a number of things, incuding special powers for those exposed to it for
an extended period. In this game, spice is only used for money, after being
gathered by the harvester. Also, there is practically no use of the Dune
worm, other than the occassional one swalling one of your unit. (There's no
riding the worms, or harnessing them as transports, weapons etc...)

RECOMMENDATION.

Give it a miss. I'm really disappointed, this is a Command and Conquer rip
off. Apart from using a harvester to gather something, (which they called
spice), and having the odd worm pop up out of the sand, the game has very
little to do with the story of DUNE.

I give it 1 out of 10.

Buy STARCRAFT instead, great story, challenging, fantastic graphics, etc...

Henrik Lind

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 17 thg 10, 199817/10/98
đến
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 11:02:33 +1000, "Peter Martin" <py...@one.net.au>
wrote:

>I didn't like Dune 2000 at all, and feel ripped off. Here's why;
>
>1) It seems to be just a copy of Command and Conquer, with different cut
>scenes. The units are renamed, but do the same things. ( a Ornithopter, a
>Helicopter). They've changed the graphic of how it looks, but really it's
>just the same.
>
>2) Even with the speed setting set on maximum, the game runs so slowly. Most
>of the time, you just sit there waiting for your units to build. Defend your
>base from one or two unit attacks, but otherwise, it's sit, wait, sit, wait,
>sit, wait. I suggest downloading the trainer just to speed up the build
>time.

Well, that's the same speed feeling as in Dune 2, and Dune 2000 is
just a remake/upgrade so they did that right.

You do know that it's just a update, right ?

>3) The missions are boring, lack challenge, and are all very similar to each
>other. It's just that with each new mission, you get do build a few
>different units. The mission structure is the same, no matter what side you
>play.

The might be boring, but lack of challenge ?
Well, havent played it so much....

>4) The player gets to play one of three particular sides, supposedly having
>different abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Well apart from one weapon
>each, (the super weapon you can't build until the last one or two missions),
>it all looked the same to me. Same barracks, same Refinery, same Wind Trap.
>YAWN.

True, you do know that it's not StarCraft.....

>5) The story line, if there is one, is crap. The DUNE story use the spice
>for a number of things, incuding special powers for those exposed to it for
>an extended period. In this game, spice is only used for money, after being
>gathered by the harvester. Also, there is practically no use of the Dune
>worm, other than the occassional one swalling one of your unit. (There's no
>riding the worms, or harnessing them as transports, weapons etc...)

Well, it's not a new game, it's NOT DUNE 3 !!
It's just a remake !!

>RECOMMENDATION.

>Give it a miss. I'm really disappointed, this is a Command and Conquer rip
>off. Apart from using a harvester to gather something, (which they called
>spice), and having the odd worm pop up out of the sand, the game has very
>little to do with the story of DUNE.
>
>I give it 1 out of 10.
>
>Buy STARCRAFT instead, great story, challenging, fantastic graphics, etc...

Starcraft is MUCH better, but Dune 2000 is great in it's own way.
They did make some changes which I don't like.

Henrik Lind

<george>

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 18 thg 10, 199818/10/98
đến

You're such a dick.

Dune2000 is just a DeLuxe version of a 5 year old game.
Nothing is supposed to be improved except graphics.

5 years ago it was something, today its crap, but back then
it was the FIRST EVER(correct me on this one) Real-Time
Strategy.
Dune started the RTS idea and C&C turned it into a mania.

You just described a FIVE!!! year old game, and complained
it sucks.

duh..

I agree that it's a ripoff. They could have done something new.

I have to admit that I boroved Starcraft from a friend thinking
it was just Warcraft with new graphics. Boy!
15 minutes later I returned it, and went to buy the game for me.
It was that good.

Well you're not such a dick really.

george
______

wrote:

>I didn't like Dune 2000 at all, and feel ripped off. Here's why;
>
>1) It seems to be just a copy of Command and Conquer, with different cut
>scenes. The units are renamed, but do the same things. ( a Ornithopter, a
>Helicopter). They've changed the graphic of how it looks, but really it's
>just the same.
>
>2) Even with the speed setting set on maximum, the game runs so slowly. Most
>of the time, you just sit there waiting for your units to build. Defend your
>base from one or two unit attacks, but otherwise, it's sit, wait, sit, wait,
>sit, wait. I suggest downloading the trainer just to speed up the build
>time.
>

>3) The missions are boring, lack challenge, and are all very similar to each
>other. It's just that with each new mission, you get do build a few
>different units. The mission structure is the same, no matter what side you
>play.
>

>4) The player gets to play one of three particular sides, supposedly having
>different abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Well apart from one weapon
>each, (the super weapon you can't build until the last one or two missions),
>it all looked the same to me. Same barracks, same Refinery, same Wind Trap.
>YAWN.
>

>5) The story line, if there is one, is crap. The DUNE story use the spice
>for a number of things, incuding special powers for those exposed to it for
>an extended period. In this game, spice is only used for money, after being
>gathered by the harvester. Also, there is practically no use of the Dune
>worm, other than the occassional one swalling one of your unit. (There's no
>riding the worms, or harnessing them as transports, weapons etc...)
>

>RECOMMENDATION.
>
>Give it a miss. I'm really disappointed, this is a Command and Conquer rip
>off. Apart from using a harvester to gather something, (which they called
>spice), and having the odd worm pop up out of the sand, the game has very
>little to do with the story of DUNE.
>
>I give it 1 out of 10.
>
>Buy STARCRAFT instead, great story, challenging, fantastic graphics, etc...

___
COMMUNICATIONS HAVE BEEN TERMINATED

George Miletic
e-mail:
panta...@yahoo.com

Peter Martin

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 20 thg 10, 199820/10/98
đến
>You're such a dick.

George;

Is this really necessary, a personal attack because some
expressed an opinion, and contributed to a newsgroup?

You're only demeaning yourself.

I wonder how may other interesting opinions, thoughts
and ideas are never posted because contributors
fear bullies are going to shout them down, flame them,
or worse, email bomb and nuke them.

Can we talk maturely?

Software companies are valid targets for criticism when
they produce such poor software as DUNE 2000. It is a
rip off, of us, the consumer. It's a disgusting grab for cash,
rehashing old games and marketing them for them full
price of a new game.

If I had known then what I now know about DUNE 2000, I
would never have purchased it. Other potential purchases
have the right to know what they are buying. Really, who is
to pay the full price of a new game, when all thay are
getting is an old game with a few new flashy graphics. I
was deceived and ripped off.

Newsgroups like this are the best forum for finding out
others opinions. I find the reviews in the so-called
unbiased game magazines unreliable, having purchased
games on their recommendation only to hate them.

Good luck to those that enjoyed playing DUNE 2000. I
didn't and I told you why.

To those thinking of buying the game, you'll have to make
up you own mind, but at least you have some independant
opinions to consider.

>Dune2000 is just a DeLuxe version of a 5 year old game.
>Nothing is supposed to be improved except graphics.

This should be made clear on the packaging. I wonder how
many sales they would make if consumers knew this
before handing over their cash. It's been very deceptively
glossed over.

Loucifer

wrote:

>I didn't like Dune 2000 at all, and feel ripped off. Here's why;
>
>1) It seems to be just a copy of Command and Conquer, with different cut
>scenes. The units are renamed, but do the same things. ( a Ornithopter, a
>Helicopter). They've changed the graphic of how it looks, but really it's
>just the same.

This is so ironic, people familiar with Dune2 said the same thing
about C&C when it came out! You harvest, fight off a few attacks,
amass money and units, and then roll over your enemy. What did you
expect? Dune2 was FIRST, and Dune2k is an UPDATE.

This is not a C&C rip off! C&C if anything is a rip off of DUNE2! If
you want a story try the original DUNE. From what I hear it was very
cinematic and related well with the story of Dune, but it's not
Starcraft either ok?

>I give it 1 out of 10.
>
>Buy STARCRAFT instead, great story, challenging, fantastic graphics, etc...

"...and it was at that point I discovered, that Lucifer
was in fact my uncle Lou."

<george>

chưa đọc,
03:00:00 24 thg 10, 199824/10/98
đến
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:13:49 +1000, "Peter Martin" <py...@one.net.au>
wrote:

>>You're such a dick.

>George;
>
>Is this really necessary, a personal attack because some
>expressed an opinion, and contributed to a newsgroup?
>
>You're only demeaning yourself.
>
>I wonder how may other interesting opinions, thoughts
>and ideas are never posted because contributors
>fear bullies are going to shout them down, flame them,
>or worse, email bomb and nuke them.

i don't care..

>Can we talk maturely?

whatever..

>Software companies are valid targets for criticism when
>they produce such poor software as DUNE 2000. It is a
>rip off, of us, the consumer. It's a disgusting grab for cash,
>rehashing old games and marketing them for them full
>price of a new game.

poor sheep..i mean consumers(sorry, no, really...)

>If I had known then what I now know about DUNE 2000, I
>would never have purchased it. Other potential purchases
>have the right to know what they are buying. Really, who is
>to pay the full price of a new game, when all thay are
>getting is an old game with a few new flashy graphics. I
>was deceived and ripped off.
>
>Newsgroups like this are the best forum for finding out
>others opinions. I find the reviews in the so-called
>unbiased game magazines unreliable, having purchased
>games on their recommendation only to hate them.
>
>Good luck to those that enjoyed playing DUNE 2000. I
>didn't and I told you why.
>
>To those thinking of buying the game, you'll have to make
>up you own mind, but at least you have some independant
>opinions to consider.
>
>>Dune2000 is just a DeLuxe version of a 5 year old game.
>>Nothing is supposed to be improved except graphics.
>
>This should be made clear on the packaging. I wonder how
>many sales they would make if consumers knew this
>before handing over their cash. It's been very deceptively
>glossed over.

deceived eh?
If you like your consumer rights so much
then why didn't you protect them a little better?
..why didn't you take care of them?
Maybe you don't really care that much?
..where you spend your money and all?

Next time, try before you buy. Not the demo, the real thing...
Borrow from a friend or get it from a pirate. Then play it until you
are absolutley sure you want to pay your money for it. Then sell the
pirate ver. to someone else to get your money back. There...perfect.

Freedom is not a right or a priviledge. It's a responsability.
Those irresponsible and their freedom soon part. Lots of times without
them even knoving it. No, I am not a fachist(how do you spell that?)
that's how it is.

Write a letter to Westwood an give em hell. Make sure they never even
think about making such a thing again. Don't call me a jerk for
calling you a jerk. That's pointless..

george

___
Neither my original post, nor this reply were ment as flames,
harrasments, bombs, nukes or whatever.
And surely the last thing I vanted to do was to say. I'm so smart,
you're all dumb, and I told you so...
If anybody feels offended, scared, flamed or something, just remember
that the "Del" key is always nearby and ready to serve..

And my name is george with a small g dammit!

___
COMMUNICATIONS HAVE BEEN TERMINATED

e-mail:
panta...@yahoo.com
files:
bne...@ibm.net

libra

chưa đọc,
02:00:00 25 thg 10, 199825/10/98
đến
In article <3631b073...@rudjer.irb.hr>, <george>
<mil...@rudjer.irb.hr> writes

>On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:13:49 +1000, "Peter Martin" <py...@one.net.au>
>wrote:
>>(snip)

>>>Dune2000 is just a DeLuxe version of a 5 year old game.
>>>Nothing is supposed to be improved except graphics.
>>
>>This should be made clear on the packaging. I wonder how
>>many sales they would make if consumers knew this
>>before handing over their cash. It's been very deceptively
>>glossed over.

Also the advertising and the title Dune_2000_ implies modern!
>deceived eh
Yes.
>(snip)

>Next time, try before you buy. Not the demo, the real thing...
>Borrow from a friend or get it from a pirate. Then play it until you
>are absolutley sure you want to pay your money for it. Then sell the
>pirate ver. to someone else to get your money back. There...perfect.

Quality? Viruses? apart from all of the other drawbacks with pirates.
>(snip)

>Write a letter to Westwood an give em hell. Make sure they never even
>think about making such a thing again. Don't call me a jerk for
>calling you a jerk. That's pointless..
>

>george
>
>___
>Neither my original post, nor this reply were ment as flames,
>harrasments, bombs, nukes or whatever.
>And surely the last thing I vanted to do was to say. I'm so smart,
>you're all dumb, and I told you so...
>If anybody feels offended, scared, flamed or something, just remember
>that the "Del" key is always nearby and ready to serve..
>
>And my name is george with a small g dammit!
>
>___
>COMMUNICATIONS HAVE BEEN TERMINATED
>
>e-mail:
>panta...@yahoo.com
>files:
>bne...@ibm.net

Anyway, many thanks to Peter for confirming what a lot of people
guessed.
--
lynn

joeb...@googlemail.com

chưa đọc,
14:22:05 6 thg 12, 20176/12/17
đến
On Saturday, October 17, 1998 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Peter Martin wrote:
> I didn't like Dune 2000 at all, and feel ripped off. Here's why;
>
> 1) It seems to be just a copy of Command and Conquer, with different cut
> scenes. The units are renamed, but do the same things. ( a Ornithopter, a
> Helicopter). They've changed the graphic of how it looks, but really it's
> just the same.
>
> I give it 1 out of 10.
>
> Buy STARCRAFT instead, great story, challenging, fantastic graphics, etc...

Totally Agree in every way. Why call it dune if its just a RTS. Red alert is a better game as it doesn't claim to be something its not.

Retro Caveman

chưa đọc,
19:32:56 11 thg 5, 201811/5/18
đến

Agreed. I like all the C&C games, as well as Emperor Battle for Dune and Dune II, but Dune 2000 is seriously lacking compared to all others in this franchise. I keep going back to it, seeing if I missed something, but the lackluster gameplay and speed control setting ruin my enjoyment every time.
Bài viết đã bị xóa

lebed...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
13:56:03 7 thg 5, 20197/5/19
đến
Dune 2000 was my first RTS game, and second video game ever about 20 years ago. And I liked it a lot. Cinematics, music, visual appearance.
Later, in about 2004 I've tried C&C, where was so much depth in mechanics (walking units, flight, digging etc) that I was overwhelmed. I enjoyed it alot but couldn't play as much as dune 2000 because of studying.
The last year I've triet StarCraft 2. It totally different level of depth and balance. Whole story with a book (!), still very popular in the esport industry. Could definitely see the difference from C&C tiberium sun. But I don't have nearly as much time to play in it because of trying to build a startup.
It's funny how you can totally enjoy these 3 games if you try in the right order and probably don't enjoy nearly as much if you do it in the wrong order (I don't think players can fully aprecite the balance of complexity of SC2 without prior RTS experience)
0 tin nhắn mới