Map29: Citadel...from the Community Chest wad.

Volfie999

Apr 25, 2009, 12:10:34 AM4/25/09
Map 29: Citadel At The edge of Eternity.

What the hell man!? :)

It's a great level. It's taken me two whole days of some hard
fighting, only to get stuck. I can't find a key to save my life, and
on the far left of the level, where those rectangular rooms are...what
am I missing? Should I be able to get into the semi-circular place to
the left first? Or into those smaller rooms between the rectangular
ones? What switch am I missing? Or what??

Thanks. :)

Stephen Howe

Apr 28, 2009, 6:10:13 PM4/28/09

I dont know the answers to this but what I have noticed is there is
plenty of detail on the secrets in Doom Wiki if you look for
"Community Chest". There is no walkthrough yet.
See
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Entryway

It is shame that the map maker for this level (and MAP06) has died.

I am currently on Map 20.
Map 15 was tough to get to the secret exit in time.

Stephen Howe

Stephen Howe

Apr 28, 2009, 6:12:37 PM4/28/09

Volfie999

Apr 28, 2009, 10:30:20 PM4/28/09
On Apr 28, 6:12 pm, Stephen Howe <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:10:34 -0700 (PDT), Volfie999
>
> <mooseboys...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Map 29: Citadel At The edge of Eternity.
>
> >What the hell man!? :)
>
> >It's a great level.  It's taken me two whole days of some hard
> >fighting, only to get stuck.  I can't find a key to save my life, and
> >on the far left of the level, where those rectangular rooms are...what
> >am I missing?  Should I be able to get into the semi-circular place to
> >the left first?  Or into those smaller rooms between the rectangular
> >ones?  What switch am I missing?  Or what??
>
> See
>
> http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/MAP29:_Citadel_at_the_Edge_of_Eternity_(Co...)
>
> Stephen Howe

Thank you much. Using your tip, I found this:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/MAP29:_Citadel_at_the_Edge_of_Eternity_(Community_Chest)

I think that might be what you were trying to link to, but I still had
to do a search for "Community Chest." But in any event, thank you. :)

RjY

Apr 29, 2009, 3:44:19 AM4/29/09
Volfie999 posted:

>On Apr 28, 6:12 pm, Stephen Howe <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote:
>> See
>> http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/MAP29:_Citadel_at_the_Edge_of_Eternity_(Co...)

>Thank you much. Using your tip, I found this:
>http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/MAP29:_Citadel_at_the_Edge_of_Eternity_(Community_Chest)
>I think that might be what you were trying to link to, but I still had
>to do a search for "Community Chest." But in any event, thank you. :)

He did, but Google apparently chopped the bracket off the end.

It's done the same in your post:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.games.doom/msg/555893e99b0a2562

--
http://rjy.org.uk/

Volfie999

Apr 29, 2009, 12:26:44 PM4/29/09
On Apr 29, 3:44 am, RjY <R...@sp.am> wrote:
> Volfie999 posted:
>
> >On Apr 28, 6:12 pm, Stephen Howe <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote:
> >> See
> >>http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/MAP29:_Citadel_at_the_Edge_of_Eternity_(Co...)
> >Thank you much.  Using your tip, I found this:
> >http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/MAP29:_Citadel_at_the_Edge_of_Eternity_(Co...)

> >I think that might be what you were trying to link to, but I still had
> >to do a search for "Community Chest."  But in any event, thank you. :)
>
> He did, but Google apparently chopped the bracket off the end.
>
> It's done the same in your post:http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.games.doom/msg/555893e99b0a2562
>
> --http://rjy.org.uk/

Yeah, I got it now. It just took a minute to figure out what was the
deal was. :)

And coincidentally, I figured out how I was stuck, but not because of
the walkthrough or the map or anything. I just tried something else
that I didn't think of before. :)

But thank you, just the same!

Stephen Howe

May 11, 2009, 1:26:46 PM5/11/09
<mooseb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Map 29: Citadel At The edge of Eternity.
>
>What the hell man!? :)
>
>It's a great level. It's taken me two whole days of some hard
>fighting, only to get stuck. I can't find a key to save my life, and
>on the far left of the level, where those rectangular rooms are...what
>am I missing?

I am now on this level.

The rooms on the left side, nearest the central square, have all those
interconnecting doors.
To use them you have to
(i) raise the half steps nearest the door
(ii) raise the the seat before each step.

For (i), there is a shootable skull switch in the first room in the
south west having opened one door.

For (ii),you have to flick a switch in that semi-circular place.

> Should I be able to get into the semi-circular place to
>the left first?

Yes. On the extreme left (West) you will have discovered the left
corridor. One of the doors off it at the NW end has a blue skull
switch to the left immediately through the door. Flicking that and
running back to the semi-circular place like crazy (so a timed door)
will be open allowing you to get in. Dealing with everything with and
flicking all switches should raise those seats.

Now go through the interconnecting doors which allows access to the
last room (and rocket launcher). Once you are back out and dealt with
the Arachnotrons in the now long room parallel to corridor, this room
at the NW end has a false walkthrough wall hiding a skull switch.
Flick that and go outside the left level complex. Something should
have opened up in NW.

> Or into those smaller rooms between the rectangular
>ones? What switch am I missing? Or what??

Hopefully the above deals with the "or what".

The area that is bothering me is the square room with a walkthrough
grid with rocket box where chaingunner was hiding. The west of this
room has two alcoves north and south which contained Barons, a
revenant and chaingunner. Going into the south alcove lowers a door in
the north alcove. It is obviously a teleport. But a metal plate bars
the way. What lowers the metal plate?

As you say, excellent excellent level. Totally superb.
Fitting epitaph.

Currently in massive room in East where there are lots of square cells
that open up on walking over trap lines. About 30 revenants firing at
one end. Managed to get lots of infighting between monsters and
revenants. Found 10/11 secrets (and I beleive last is ahead of me).

Cheers

Stephen Howe

RjY

May 11, 2009, 3:06:36 PM5/11/09
Stephen Howe posted:

>The area that is bothering me is the square room with a walkthrough
>grid with rocket box where chaingunner was hiding. The west of this
>room has two alcoves north and south which contained Barons, a
>revenant and chaingunner. Going into the south alcove lowers a door in
>the north alcove. It is obviously a teleport. But a metal plate bars
>the way. What lowers the metal plate?

I'm not 100% sure but I think you mean sector 422, the alcove that has
red and blue fire on the walls and another chaingunner at (-3392,5024).

If so, it's not a teleport or anything interesting. It just opens up so
you can get sprayed with more bullets. You can't lower the plate.

--
http://rjy.org.uk/

Stephen Howe

May 11, 2009, 6:18:07 PM5/11/09

Yeah you got it right. Red and blue fire walls.
Thanks. Interesting to know.

I have now got red blue and yellow keys.
Fighting the 2 Cyberdemons on following walkway around the ooze wasnt
as hard as I thought. On the first in the star shaped green platform,
a few choice shots with the BFG and he was toast. It helped having a
few lesser monsters. On the second I went throught all my bullets and
most of my shells through the bars. Now replenished.

Now through the blue door, killed everything within and am circling
the outer perimeter with red brick walls. Dont see any thing that
moves. I searched the red panels the revenants were hiding behind to
see if any had a skull switch - nothing. Cant see how to access the
outer outer perimeter.

I think I will turn the music off just to hear for platforms in the
distance lowering and raising.

Stephen Howe

RjY

May 12, 2009, 3:44:34 PM5/12/09
Stephen Howe posted:

>Now through the blue door, killed everything within and am circling
>the outer perimeter with red brick walls. Dont see any thing that
>moves. I searched the red panels the revenants were hiding behind to
>see if any had a skull switch - nothing. Cant see how to access the
>outer outer perimeter.

Surrounding the inner red brick building are several thin pillars also
made of red brick. The six on the south side, nearest the blue-locked
entrance, have green gargoyle faces inset into them.

Two of these insets flicker differently from the other four and can be
pressed. One reopens the blue door, the other lowers a lift in the edge
of the north-east corner of the outer perimeter.

--
http://rjy.org.uk/

Stephen Howe

May 12, 2009, 5:15:01 PM5/12/09

Got it. That was very very very very tough.
I had to do about 20 attempts because my wall running skills were not
good enough. Eventually I got up. Then endless rockets in Barons of
Hell/Revenants who coming from both sides of the square perimeter.
Eventually when all dead I replenished all ammo (some from outside)
and did a 2nd attempt at wall running and made it eventually.

So far I have done the level without losing any 200 health and 200
armour (but with many saves). 2 quick blasts of BFG terminated first
SpiderDemon before central platform had finished rising. Then using
the raised platform as a shield, the next 2 SpiderDemon's dispatched.
Finally taking out the monsters in all 4 corners (just the
chaingunners, the revanants and mancubus fought barons of hell/hell
barons. That left barons of hell/hell barons to punch to death.

Time : 8 hours 10 mins. I could probably do much quicker now.

Thanks

SH

Stephen Howe

May 13, 2009, 6:29:45 PM5/13/09
On Tue, 12 May 2009 19:44:34 GMT, RjY <R...@sp.am> wrote:

I think I am playing oe of your levels, MAP05 on Community Chest 2

Cheers

Stephen Howe

RjY

May 17, 2009, 11:37:19 AM5/17/09
Stephen Howe posted:

>On Tue, 12 May 2009 19:44:34 GMT, RjY <R...@sp.am> wrote:
>
>I think I am playing oe of your levels, MAP05 on Community Chest 2

Yeah, that's mine. I apologise if it annoyed you. Doing that map taught
me a lot about how _not_ to go about making levels...

--
http://rjy.org.uk/

Stephen Howe

May 17, 2009, 6:56:02 PM5/17/09

No it was fun. I enjoyed it. Currently on CC2, MAP15.

The maps that I really like are Chris Couleurs on Eternal Doom.

Warheroes (MAP19) is one of my favourites
The Seeker (MAP22), Rainbow Bridge (MAP24) and Dominion (MAP29) are
all good. Rainbow Bridge is very intricate with good puzzles. They are
all very large levels.

The Seeker winds up with 4 CyberDemons at the ring a of square hub,
tyhe centre of which is the exit to the next level.

Mind you Inter-Base (MAP03) as a level is perfect (Dietmar
Westerteicher).

The music by Rich Nagel is superb, very fitting.

Stephen Howe

dae...@googlemail.com

Jun 9, 2019, 4:47:18 PM6/9/19
Wow - thanks Stephen, even if it took me 10 years to read this it warms my old heart. :)

BTW I just finished another level which is IMHO just a tick better than the old base, but in the same vein. So if you should read this anytime in the next few years just contact me. :)

Korwin

Jun 10, 2019, 5:08:02 PM6/10/19
On Sunday, 9 June 2019 23:47:18 UTC+3, dae...@googlemail.com wrote:
> BTW I just finished another level which is IMHO just a tick better than the old base, but in the same vein.

Can you post a link to your work here?

dae...@googlemail.com

Jun 10, 2019, 8:05:02 PM6/10/19
Already sent you an mail, but probably some other folks like to see the level also. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iUXYNFAXOWCLGFXUMTcjQvRKFWHZn4f-

I just discovered my first ever level set dating from May 1995 on my HD, played through it and was astonished how good it still feels.

The Idea back then was a set called Weapons in which you were forced to use a different weapon mainly in each level. The first one was the rough version of what later became pistol only, but the second one (Shotgun) is still a great challenge and a lot of fun...

I think I will do a remake soon. :)

Korwin

Jun 14, 2019, 7:47:20 AM6/14/19
On Tuesday, 11 June 2019 03:05:02 UTC+3, dae...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Already sent you an mail

https://hostingkartinok.com/show-image.php?id=333af8e7e9c324b0c9d4fc7e7690d1db - how to get out of the trap?

pop

Jun 14, 2019, 9:33:18 AM6/14/19
Shoot the emblem high up over one of the doors

--
Best wishes;
(^\pop/^) -> Mark

pop

Jun 14, 2019, 9:44:13 AM6/14/19
Korwin wrote on 6/14/2019 06:47 AM:
correction: Shoot the emblem high up over area without a door...

pop

Jun 14, 2019, 9:44:53 AM6/14/19