מעכשיו פוסטים חדשים מ-Usenet לא יופיעו ואי אפשר להירשם לתוכן מ-Usenet בקבוצות Google. התוכן שכבר פורסם עדיין יופיע.

How to play Doom online without a source port?

66 צפיות
מעבר להודעה הראשונה שלא נקראה

supe...@gmail.com

לא נקראה,
26 בספט׳ 2018, 13:39:2826.9.2018
עד
Apologies for my ignorance, but I can't figure out how to play doom online or over lan without a source port. Is there a way to do it in DOSBox (how it boots by default), or do you need additional software? I'm using Doom 2 which I bought from steam, on Windows 10. I'm not completely against using a source port, but it would be nice to play it in DOSBox.

billym...@gmail.com

לא נקראה,
4 באוק׳ 2018, 1:24:284.10.2018
עד
I'm not the biggest expert on this stuff but to my knowledge there was no way to play DOOM or DOOM 2 online built into the games, because back then online gaming was really in its infancy. Around 1995 I believe there was a service that popped up called DWANGO which allowed players to connect to each other through dial-up and play DOOM 2 online, but that has long since been discontinued. So to answer your question, no there isn't a way to play DOOM online without a source port, but I recommend Zandronum for playing DOOM and other DOOM-engine games online, all you have to do is forward your ports on your router or use a service like Hamachi or Evolve so your friends are able to connect to your server. It may be possible to play over LAN through DOSbox, but I've never tried that before so I can't give any advice there. But honestly there's not much reason to do that, the experience with a source port will be 100x better and easier in every way.

supe...@gmail.com

לא נקראה,
4 באוק׳ 2018, 12:42:104.10.2018
עד
Okay, I’ll try out Zandronum tonight. Thanks for your help!

billym...@gmail.com

לא נקראה,
5 באוק׳ 2018, 5:02:425.10.2018
עד
No problem my friend. And for future reference, this place is almost completely dead, I only came here to look at what people were saying about DOOM back when it came out lol. If you ever need more help you should post to the subreddit (/r/doom) or on the doomworld forums, that's where everyone is nowadays. Hope you have fun with your friends!

Ant

לא נקראה,
5 באוק׳ 2018, 14:44:375.10.2018
עד
Usenet newsgroups forever. :P
--
Quote of the Week: "I grew up in airports and on air bases. I know what
flying and airports can be. And most airports make me feel like we're
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )

billym...@gmail.com

לא נקראה,
5 באוק׳ 2018, 21:07:445.10.2018
עד
Hahaha it kind of sucks that they've gone out of style, but it makes sense since they're so much less accessible than WWW sites. But still there is a lot of important historical stuff on the Usenet, I'm glad that we've got most of it archived, it's interesting to look through. If you don't mind me asking, Ant, were you active on here back in the day, or even now? And if so, could you point me toward some interesting discussion boards around the Usenet? Thanks!

Ant

לא נקראה,
6 באוק׳ 2018, 19:48:076.10.2018
עד
I started doing usenet newsgroups when I was in college like in 1994
with a Linux shell account and tin (still using it!). I got DOOM
shareware in late 1993 from a local BBS before I started using the
Internet.

I wished dejanews.com was still around to show you. Google Groups
doesn't even have all of the stuff. :(

ImperiusDamian

לא נקראה,
28 בנוב׳ 2018, 21:53:3628.11.2018
עד
On 10/6/2018 7:48 PM, Ant wrote:
> billym...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hahaha it kind of sucks that they've gone out of style, but it makes
>> sense since they're so much less accessible than WWW sites. But still
>> there is a lot of important historical stuff on the Usenet, I'm glad
>> that we've got most of it archived, it's interesting to look through.
>> If you don't mind me asking, Ant, were you active on here back in the
>> day, or even now? And if so, could you point me toward some
>> interesting discussion boards around the Usenet? Thanks!
>
> I started doing usenet newsgroups when I was in college like in 1994
> with a Linux shell account and tin (still using it!). I got DOOM
> shareware in late 1993 from a local BBS before I started using the
> Internet.
>
> I wished dejanews.com was still around to show you. Google Groups
> doesn't even have all of the stuff. :(

Which is a dang shame. Seems like even half the Meow Wars aren't
archived let alone actually *interesting* things like posts about DOOM. :P

A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.

ImperiusDamian - http://theimperium.elementfx.com

Ant

לא נקראה,
29 בנוב׳ 2018, 16:35:3629.11.2018
עד
ImperiusDamian <damianbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/6/2018 7:48 PM, Ant wrote:
> > billym...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> Hahaha it kind of sucks that they've gone out of style, but it makes
> >> sense since they're so much less accessible than WWW sites. But still
> >> there is a lot of important historical stuff on the Usenet, I'm glad
> >> that we've got most of it archived, it's interesting to look through.
> >> If you don't mind me asking, Ant, were you active on here back in the
> >> day, or even now? And if so, could you point me toward some
> >> interesting discussion boards around the Usenet? Thanks!
> >
> > I started doing usenet newsgroups when I was in college like in 1994
> > with a Linux shell account and tin (still using it!). I got DOOM
> > shareware in late 1993 from a local BBS before I started using the
> > Internet.
> >
> > I wished dejanews.com was still around to show you. Google Groups
> > doesn't even have all of the stuff. :(
> >

> Which is a dang shame. Seems like even half the Meow Wars aren't
> archived let alone actually *interesting* things like posts about DOOM. :P

Meow Wars? I don't even remember that after reading
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meow_Wars.

--
Quote of the Week: "Ever watch ants just crawling around? They walk in
that single straight line, a long, a long, long mile of ants. Sometimes

ImperiusDamian

לא נקראה,
29 בנוב׳ 2018, 18:57:0429.11.2018
עד
On 11/29/2018 4:35 PM, Ant wrote:
> ImperiusDamian <damianbl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I started doing usenet newsgroups when I was in college like in 1994
>>> with a Linux shell account and tin (still using it!). I got DOOM
>>> shareware in late 1993 from a local BBS before I started using the
>>> Internet.
>>>
>>> I wished dejanews.com was still around to show you. Google Groups
>>> doesn't even have all of the stuff. :(
>>>

>> Which is a dang shame. Seems like even half the Meow Wars aren't
>> archived let alone actually *interesting* things like posts about DOOM. :P
>
> Meow Wars? I don't even remember that after reading
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meow_Wars.

Creepily enough, my random tagline generator picked a quote from a
related flamewar for this post. LOL!

I wasn't around for the original Meow Wars but I did catch the tail end
of Meower activity in late '99 into 2000.

"SEND ME A COPY OF DOOM!!! NOW!!!1!!!!" - Crister Dufvenberg among
others, alt.games.doom, starting Oct. 3rd 1999

ImperiusDamian - http://theimperium.elementfx.com

0 הודעות חדשות