Eric Yick Leung

John Romero

Jun 2, 1994, 12:19:27 PM6/2/94
> Eric "Pook Gai" Leung DOOM GOD challenges all !!!
>

> I Eric Leung have won multiple DOOM ladders and tournaments.

> I have met with only putrid feable competition. I cannot be stopped,

> I cannot be FRAGGED. I am the best and I am BORED.

> I have had a network setup here at my residence at the

> University of British Columbia and suffice to say Eric Leung kicks

> multiple ass. I am so good no three players combined can stop me.

> I frag them all
>

> I practice 12 hours a day. I only sleep and go to university lectures.

> I take wake up pills to keep playing. I clearly am the best and can

> probably take any one of those ID boys. I am Eric Leung "KING OF DOOM!".
> Please someone phone me and DOOM me. Someone Better than all those

> useless competitors from the Vancouver area. This is a direct

> Challenge to everyone expecially the texas doom tourney champs,

> John Romero of ID soft.

> Please someone worthy call me to DOOM.

> "I can take you all, kick you ass and take you wallet". So to speak.
>

> You ask me if I have a GOD complex, well quite frankly

> I am GOD, DOOM GOD.
>

> E-mail me and lets doom. I am Eric "Pook-Gai" Leung, King of DOOM.

> My phone number here in Vancouver B.C. can be obtained if you email me

Eric:

You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow
down to you eventually bow down to me. Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and drink my
knob after having beaten all who challenge you. Do you dare take on your
master, pitiful DOOM GOD?

Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.

---
| John Romero (rom...@idsoftware.com) id Software |
| Send questions about id software to he...@idsoftware.com |
| ftp.uwp.edu[131.210.1.4] id "Official" anonymous FTP site |
| >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> * D * O * O * M * <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |
| From id Software! Don't pass up the chance to toast your buddies |
| and a few demons as well! DOOM: such mayhem the likes of which |
| have never been witnessed in this particular dimension! |
| >>>>>>>>>>> Coming Fall '94: DOOM II: Hell on Earth! <<<<<<<<<<< |

stev...@garnet.berkeley.edu

Jun 2, 1994, 12:56:05 PM6/2/94
I hope someone will post the outcome of this matchup . . .

--
Steven K. Ross (510) 644-2414 | AHMA Group, 3422A Dwinelle Hall
stev...@garnet.berkeley.edu | U. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720

S.P. Harvey

Jun 2, 1994, 2:09:05 PM6/2/94
John Romero (jo...@idcube.idsoftware.com) wrote:
: > Eric "Pook Gai" Leung DOOM GOD challenges all !!!
: > Challenge to everyone expecially the texas doom tourney champs,
: > John Romero of ID soft.

: Eric:

: You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow
: down to you eventually bow down to me. Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and drink my
: knob after having beaten all who challenge you. Do you dare take on your
: master, pitiful DOOM GOD?

: Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.

Hey man, don't mess with the creator of the Universe you apparently live
in. I would imagine a deathmatch showdown between John Romero and any
other mortal is going to be really ugly. Pull out your dusty copy of
Bullfinch's Mythology for further references.

--
harv | sha...@interaccess.com | mini-biography below by l.shell
"lazy map-making, Camel smoking, mini-van driving, Doom playing, An hating,

Terry Evans

Jun 2, 1994, 2:39:31 PM6/2/94
John Romero (jo...@idcube.idsoftware.com) wrote:
: > Eric "Pook Gai" Leung DOOM GOD challenges all !!!

: > I Eric Leung have won multiple DOOM ladders and tournaments.

<Numerous rantings and ravings "accidentally" deleted>

: > You ask me if I have a GOD complex, well quite frankly

: > I am GOD, DOOM GOD.
: >
: > E-mail me and lets doom. I am Eric "Pook-Gai" Leung, King of DOOM.
: > My phone number here in Vancouver B.C. can be obtained if you email me
: >

: Eric:

: You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow
: down to you eventually bow down to me. Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and drink
: my knob after having beaten all who challenge you. Do you dare take on your
: master, pitiful DOOM GOD?

: Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.

: ---
: +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
: | John Romero (rom...@idsoftware.com) id Software |
: | Send questions about id software to he...@idsoftware.com |
: | ftp.uwp.edu[131.210.1.4] id "Official" anonymous FTP site |
: | >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> * D * O * O * M * <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |
: | From id Software! Don't pass up the chance to toast your buddies |
: | and a few demons as well! DOOM: such mayhem the likes of which |
: | have never been witnessed in this particular dimension! |
: | >>>>>>>>>>> Coming Fall '94: DOOM II: Hell on Earth! <<<<<<<<<<< |
: +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

Hey John,

Could you make some .lmp's of the slaughter of Eric "Pook Gai" Leung and
post them? A guy with an ego like that deserves to be fragged a _few_ times.

Terry
tev...@cs.utah.edu

Message has been deleted

Hardball

Jun 3, 1994, 11:50:02 AM6/3/94
>You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow
>down to you eventually bow down to me. Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and
>drink my knob after having beaten all who challenge you. Do you dare take
>on your master, pitiful DOOM GOD?
>
>Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.

HA! "Kneel and drink my knob" I love it!
And Eric, I wouldn't go messing with a REAL Doom God, terrible things might
befall us all if he should become upset! Our Universe might never be the
same again!

Ian CR Mapleson

Jun 3, 1994, 8:47:04 PM6/3/94

ap...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Hank Leukart) wrote:
> Hmmmm... I wonder if the win of Eric would cause a disrupture in the
> space time continum... This is getting too deep. :)

Hmmm... well, this is a worrying possibility! I must check this out!

I asked Deep Thought (on loan from the mice) and he said it could actually
cause a massive hole in the doom time confragium... :)

Ian.

Alan Wen (409)696-8909

Jun 2, 1994, 8:38:00 PM6/2/94
In article <2sl913$f...@magus.cs.utah.edu>, tev...@lal.cs.utah.edu (Terry Evans) writes...
>John Romero (jo...@idcube.idsoftware.com) wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if John Romero pulls some sort of cheat to play
deathmatch. What about: IDJOHNR
to activate air airstrike on a target?

alan

V.Bareau

Jun 3, 1994, 11:31:05 AM6/3/94
In article <940602171...@idcube.idsoftware.com>, John Romero wrote:
> > Eric "Pook Gai" Leung DOOM GOD challenges all !!!

<stuff deleted>

> | John Romero (rom...@idsoftware.com) id Software |
> | Send questions about id software to he...@idsoftware.com |
> | ftp.uwp.edu[131.210.1.4] id "Official" anonymous FTP site |
> | >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> * D * O * O * M * <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |
> | From id Software! Don't pass up the chance to toast your buddies |
> | and a few demons as well! DOOM: such mayhem the likes of which |
> | have never been witnessed in this particular dimension! |
> | >>>>>>>>>>> Coming Fall '94: DOOM II: Hell on Earth! <<<<<<<<<<< |

Does this mean that Eric "Pook Gai" Leung can now include a

"ID number =1"

in his sig?

For that matter, I have often wondered if John Romero could be
related to George Romero. I can see similarities between Doom and
"Night of the Living Dead".

Christopher J. Pollard

Jun 5, 1994, 6:07:23 AM6/5/94

>I asked Deep Thought (on loan from the mice) and he said it could actually
>cause a massive hole in the doom time confragium... :)

Hmm, that makes me think. How about a patch to replace all the monsters
with Perfectlynormalbeasts?

Chris.

ps Hi there Ian.

Ian CR Mapleson

Jun 5, 1994, 8:17:14 PM6/5/94

xmas...@sound.demon.co.uk ("Christopher J. Pollard") quoted me & wrote:
> >I asked Deep Thought (on loan from the mice) and he said it could actually
> >cause a massive hole in the doom time confragium... :)
>
> Hmm, that makes me think. ...

I have this effect on people... :)

> ... How about a patch to replace all the monsters
> with Perfectlynormalbeasts?

Why not go all the way? Do a complete graphic patch?

I spoke to someone who was doing a big Hitch Hikers sounds patch. Does anyone
know if it's been released? I can't find the guy's email address amongst the
dark dungeoness depths of my directories.

Actually, how about these graphic replacements?:-

Cacodemon ---> Bugblatter Beast of Thraal.
Cybderdemon ---> Eccentrica Gallumbits, the 6 breasted whore of Eroticon IV.
Imps ---> Krikkit robots.
Flying Skull ---> Bowl of Petunias.
Health potion ---> Hot cuppa tea. :)
Blue health power up ---> Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.
Computer Map ---> The `Guide.
Baron of Hell ---> Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz.

Anybody care to add to these? What with the sound patch that that guy is
doing, replacing the graphics as well would make for an excellent PWAD! 8)

Anyone out there with more time than atoms care to take this on? :)

Ian.

PS. Hi to you too! :) I'll email ya in a coupla days... busy just now... :\

stev...@garnet.berkeley.edu

Jun 2, 1994, 12:56:05 PM6/2/94
ミしiホ �<ヒ Lナ VP for Development, Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh, PA

in Pittsburgh:

1989 Honda Accord LXi for Sale
Coupe
Black with beige interior

Automatic transmission
Cruise Control
Air conditioning
AM/FM Stereo with cassette
Power windows
Variable assist power steering
Power brakes
Tilt steering wheel
Fold down rear seats
Power exterior mirrors
Reasonably new tires

The car has 86,
People with a pollyanna view like yours make me want to puke. Why
don't we go back to horses so we can shut down all the steel mills
and the bicycle manufacturing plants. Hmmm....what will we build
with...can't use wood anymore and be PC....

Ride your bike, leave the rest of us alone and happy in our cars,
going where we choose, when we choose.

>>messages so that no one, not even the government, can crack them.
>>The

Scott R Schuricht

Jun 6, 1994, 1:42:31 PM6/6/94

That's funny, I asked Deep Thought also to verify your result (for statistical
purposes) and all it told me was "42" :-)

M*********E*********T*********A********L*********L*********I*********C********A
* Scott Schuricht * Stop!, in the name of all that which does *
* Mechanical Engineering * not suck...I hate stuff that suck's. *
* schu...@mn.ecn.purdue.edu * - Butt-Head *
* * *
****M*********E*********G*********A*********D*********E*********T*********H****

Ian CR Mapleson

Jun 7, 1994, 2:14:23 PM6/7/94
schu...@schenectady.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott R Schuricht) wittily replied:

> That's funny, I asked Deep Thought also to verify your result (for statistical
> purposes) and all it told me was "42" :-)

I did the opposite. I asked Deep Thought to unverify the question. He said he
needed a Brownian motion source. I poured a hot cuppa tea over the console.

'Well?', I asked.

'What is 6 times 9?', came the reply.

Hmmm... try base 13, dudes! :D

:-)

Ian.

PS. I've just finished the part about Krikkit. Turned on the TV. BBC was
showing a cricket match. Some guy had scored 501 runs.

Barf. Sick, sick, sick... 8{

I turned over... :)

PPS. DOOM IS AWESOME! Eric Y.L.'s a banana brain!

Phew, gotta have something relevant... :)

Christopher J. Pollard

Jun 7, 1994, 2:01:23 PM6/7/94
>Actually, how about these graphic replacements?:-
>
>Cacodemon ---> Bugblatter Beast of Thraal.
>Cybderdemon ---> Eccentrica Gallumbits, the 6 breasted whore of Eroticon IV.
>Imps ---> Krikkit robots.
>Flying Skull ---> Bowl of Petunias.
>Health potion ---> Hot cuppa tea. :)
>Blue health power up ---> Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.
>Computer Map ---> The `Guide.
>Baron of Hell ---> Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz.
>
>Anybody care to add to these?

Radiation suit ---> Dressing Gown
First aid kit ---> Towel
Space Marine ---> Dent, Arthur Dent
Dead Marines ---> Whale Meat
Flying Skull ---> Colin
Light amp ---> Zaphod's shades

Chris.

So this is it, we're all going to die?

Daniel J Barkalow

Jun 7, 1994, 5:48:08 PM6/7/94

This last one is totally wrong. In DOOM Zaphod's shades would be
constantly black, not make things easier to see. :-)

>Chris.

>So this is it, we're all going to die?

9% Health on the little platform off of the acid river in E1M9.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*

Michael Bayerl

Jun 8, 1994, 6:54:00 AM6/8/94

Hi folks!

Here's the problem: A friend of mine has got a 486/40 pc with 4 MB RAM.
It is nearly impossible for him to load SMARTDRV and to run DOOM. (I think
because SMARTDRV uses too much EMS, and then DOOM refuses to work.)
He has QEMM386 7.02 on his machine with 639 kB free memory.

In the official DOOM FAQ there was the suggestion to load SMARTDRV with
the parameter DOUBLE_BUFFER, but MS-DOS 6.20 doesn't know this parameter
any more. :-(

Has anyone got an idea, except from buying more RAM, because without
SMARTDRV, DOOM is often too busy to load lots of bytes from the harddisk
and during that, the monsters have enough time to kill you ...

Many thanx in advance!

Michael

## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

John Reinhold

Jun 8, 1994, 12:29:36 PM6/8/94
Michael Bayerl (mic...@snoopy.freinet.de) wrote:

> Hi folks!

> Here's the problem: A friend of mine has got a 486/40 pc with 4 MB RAM.

/^\
Here's the Problem. --------------------------------------------|

Doom needs 4 megs to run, and Smartdrv usually takes 2. Even if you
could use Smartdrv, the amount of cache availiable would barely be
able to hold a keystroke, let alone anything big.

--
--------------------------<>---------------------------
"1935 will go down in History! For the first time, a

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not
be infringed."
---Second Ammendment to the Constitution
of the United States of America.

John Reinhold Portales, New Mexico (USA)

Matthew Amendt

Jun 8, 1994, 6:57:38 PM6/8/94
In article <5QS1r...@snoopy.freinet.de>,

Michael Bayerl <mic...@snoopy.freinet.de> wrote:

>Hi folks!
>
>Here's the problem: A friend of mine has got a 486/40 pc with 4 MB RAM.
>It is nearly impossible for him to load SMARTDRV and to run DOOM. (I think
>because SMARTDRV uses too much EMS, and then DOOM refuses to work.)
>He has QEMM386 7.02 on his machine with 639 kB free memory.
>
>In the official DOOM FAQ there was the suggestion to load SMARTDRV with
>the parameter DOUBLE_BUFFER, but MS-DOS 6.20 doesn't know this parameter
>any more. :-(

[snip]

Hmmm... double-buffering is used to prevent memory mapped devices (mainly
SCSI) from conflicting with stuff loaded in the high memory area. It doesn't
really have anything to do with reducing smartdrv's size or freeing more ems.

You should be able to load a 256K disk cache with 4megs of memory but that
really doesn't help a whole lot. Mt. Erebus still chokes bigtime. The simple
solution is to buy more memory. For the price it'll make the biggest
difference in performance, and not just for Doom.

>Michael

Matt

Graham Clark

Jun 9, 1994, 10:47:00 AM6/9/94

@FROM: graham...@almac.co.uk

MB> Here's the problem: A friend of mine has got a 486/40 pc with 4 MB R
MB> It is nearly impossible for him to load SMARTDRV and to run DOOM. (I
MB> because SMARTDRV uses too much EMS, and then DOOM refuses to work.)
MB> He has QEMM386 7.02 on his machine with 639 kB free memory.

MB> In the official DOOM FAQ there was the suggestion to load SMARTDRV w
MB> the parameter DOUBLE_BUFFER, but MS-DOS 6.20 doesn't know this param
MB> any more. :-(

MB> Has anyone got an idea, except from buying more RAM, because without
MB> SMARTDRV, DOOM is often too busy to load lots of bytes from the hard
MB> and during that, the monsters have enough time to kill you ...

Are you sure you are using the double_buffer right?, you need to put the
following line in your config.sys to make it work:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /double_buffer

Graham
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| Graham Clark | "It's my duty... my duty as a complete and |
| | utter Bastard!" |
| Internet:- | Arnold Judas Rimmer |
| graham...@almac.co.uk | (Red Dwarf III - Timeslides) |
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

* RM 1.3 U0416 * Sure it's safe. Go on in, I'll be right behind you.

Christopher J. Pollard

Jun 9, 1994, 3:06:35 PM6/9/94

>>Light amp ---> Zaphod's shades
>This last one is totally wrong. In DOOM Zaphod's shades would be
>constantly black, not make things easier to see. :-)

Yeah, I knew that when I posted it but I was out of ideas so I did it anyway.
That's the kind of backward way my mind works after too much coffee. :)

What about impaled Trillians?

Chris

Grover Thomas

Jun 10, 1994, 1:42:55 PM6/10/94
In article <5QS1r...@snoopy.freinet.de>,
Michael Bayerl <mic...@snoopy.freinet.de> wrote:

>In the official DOOM FAQ there was the suggestion to load SMARTDRV with
>the parameter DOUBLE_BUFFER, but MS-DOS 6.20 doesn't know this parameter
>any more. :-(

I believe the DOUBLE_BUFFER command is used in the CONFIG.SYS file,
not the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Type HELP SMARTDRV.EXE at the DOS command
prompt.
As others have pointed out, I don't think it will make much difference
on a 4MB machine.

--
__ __
(__) Grover Thomas InterNet: gro...@emunix.emich.edu (__)

Rob Flax

Jun 14, 1994, 9:54:57 AM6/14/94
graham...@almac.co.uk writes:

> @FROM: graham...@almac.co.uk

> MB> Here's the problem: A friend of mine has got a 486/40 pc with 4 MB R
> MB> It is nearly impossible for him to load SMARTDRV and to run DOOM. (I
> MB> because SMARTDRV uses too much EMS, and then DOOM refuses to work.)
> MB> He has QEMM386 7.02 on his machine with 639 kB free memory.
>
> Are you sure you are using the double_buffer right?, you need to put the
> following line in your config.sys to make it work:
>
> DEVICE=C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /double_buffer

Will this really speed up the game on a machine with 4M RAM? I
tried a smartdrive cache of 256K and it didn't seem to help much.

Rob

*******************************
Rob Flax
University of Virginia ()_()
Charlottesville, VA (_)
ra...@faraday.clas.virginia.edu

Hardball

Jun 14, 1994, 7:20:41 PM6/14/94
: > Are you sure you are using the double_buffer right?, you need to put the
: > following line in your config.sys to make it work:
: >
: > DEVICE=C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /double_buffer

: Will this really speed up the game on a machine with 4M RAM? I
: tried a smartdrive cache of 256K and it didn't seem to help much.

No, SMARTDRV does between very little and nothing for your system when
all you have is 4MB of RAM. I know this, I had 4MB a week ago, now I
have 8MB, and DOOM is ALOT smoother since the game doesn't have to pause
every time and load textures and what-not everytime I run around a corner
into a new room. Very, very little disk access anymore, it jumps from
level-to-level quicker, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
To load DOOM faster, you need a faster drive. I've played DOOM
on my system at 8MB and on a commputer at work with 8MB, and the one at
work is much, much faster at loading DOOM by the simple fact that it's a
SCSI drive, while mine is an IDE :( Even with my faster CPU (DX2 66 vs
SLC 40) mine is slower at loading.

Night Child

Jun 15, 1994, 2:26:47 AM6/15/94

I don't know if this is the best config for me but after trying
just about every combination of things this is my configuration for Doom
on my 386/33 4mb piece of $!@#%....

CONFIG.SYS:
device=c:\dos\himem.sys
dos=high,umb
...other unimportant stuff

AUTOEXEC.BAT
@echo off
prompt $p$g
c:\windows\smartdrv C 600
mouse
...other unimportant stuff

Note that I use the EXE smartdrv in the autoexec file instad of the config.
I don't know what difference it makes but out of all my tests this one was
the fastest. Without SMARTDRV the disk access makes it unplayable and 600k
was the most I could allocate and still have enough room for Doom to run.
Any significant amount less than 600k is not enough cache to make a
difference. If anyone out there has a configuration that you think would
work better for me please share. If no I hope this helps some of you with
problems.

- Night Child

Stuart Johnson

Jun 18, 1994, 10:04:25 PM6/18/94

>What about impaled Trillians?

Nice touch.

This entire thread is a hoot. I love it.

Someone wanna write a BIG text file "The Hitchhiker's Guide to DOOM"?

With "The Restaurant At The End Of Episode 3", "Death, The Universe, And Every-
thing", "So Long, And Thanks For All the Frags", and, of course, "Young Space
Marine Plays it Safe". (What? You never read it?"

Stujohnson

S.P. Harvey

Jun 19, 1994, 12:58:16 AM6/19/94
SHAMELESS PLUG FOLLOWS:

All you HHGTTG fans! Get HHGWAVS.ZIP from infant2.sphs.indiana.ed
(pub/doom/sounds/pwad)... Replacement sounds for Doom, sampled from the
original radio series! Version 1.2 is in the works. Doors by Sirius
Cybernetics! Demons sound like Vogons! Be Arthur Dent! Love it? Now live it!