Re: Doom really can run on anything

Ant

Jul 12, 2022, 11:44:30 PM7/12/22
They need to go more! :)

--
So many spams, craziness, and known people's deaths. :( Quiet yesterday for this old ant. Another Microsoft update day! Apple will do theirs soon.
| |o o| |

OldbieOne

Jul 13, 2022, 3:11:17 PM7/13/22

"Ant" <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote in message
> They need to go more! :)
>

> Spalls Hurgenson <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Doom on PC. Doom on Windows. Doom on Mac. Doom on Unix. Doom on the
> > SNES. Doom on the Saturn. Doom on PS1. Doom on Java-phones. Doom on
> > Sansa ClipZip. Doom on Zune. Doom on network routers. Doom on a
> > smart-fridge. Doom on digital camera. Doom on a cash register. Doom
> > runs on everything.
>
> > But there's always been one platform nobody ever asked, "Can Doom run
> > on this?" And that was Doom itself. Can Doom run... on Doom?
>
> > Yup.
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hnQ1RKhbo
>
> > Thanks to a code-execution exploit, it's now actually possible to
> > launch Doom... in Doom itself. This isn't a specially modified version
> > of Doom (well, other than a WAD that overwrites key variable to launch
> > an external program); the core executable code is untouched. You can
> > just watch the demos play out, or switch to the embedded version and
> > play it full-screen. It really is Doom inside of Doom.
>
> > Sadly, the video doesn't answer if Doom can play inside of Doom inside
> > of Doom. How deep down the rabbit hole can we go?!?

As far as I'm aware, they still haven't been able to play Doom on an
original GB ;)

--
OldbieOne

The One Who Tells It Like It Is (TM)
Brought to you by RetroPC w/Windows v4.0.950B

plateshutoverlock

Jul 3, 2023, 8:34:28 PM7/3/23
On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 8:44:30 PM UTC-7, Ant wrote:
> They need to go more! :)
>

> Spalls Hurgenson <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Doom on PC. Doom on Windows. Doom on Mac. Doom on Unix. Doom on the
> > SNES. Doom on the Saturn. Doom on PS1. Doom on Java-phones. Doom on
> > Sansa ClipZip. Doom on Zune. Doom on network routers. Doom on a
> > smart-fridge. Doom on digital camera. Doom on a cash register. Doom
> > runs on everything.
>
> > But there's always been one platform nobody ever asked, "Can Doom run
> > on this?" And that was Doom itself. Can Doom run... on Doom?
>
> > Yup.
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hnQ1RKhbo
>
> > Thanks to a code-execution exploit, it's now actually possible to
> > launch Doom... in Doom itself. This isn't a specially modified version
> > of Doom (well, other than a WAD that overwrites key variable to launch
> > an external program); the core executable code is untouched. You can
> > just watch the demos play out, or switch to the embedded version and
> > play it full-screen. It really is Doom inside of Doom.
>
> > Sadly, the video doesn't answer if Doom can play inside of Doom inside
> > of Doom. How deep down the rabbit hole can we go?!?

This isn't really "Doom running on Doom", like it being able to fire up
a copy of itself to play on an in game/in world terminal. It's just causing the OS
to launch a second copy of the game.

Now if someone could port a copy of Dosbox into GZdoom or something and
enable the dos version to be playable inside the game itself, I would
be much more iimpressed. But why stop there? How about a slightly
modified E1M1 that has a working computer terminal and firing
up Quake inside it? :-)