Doom Packet Destroyer (DPD)

Michael Lopp

Mar 3, 1994, 3:41:33 PM3/3/94
F O R I M M E D I A T E R E L E A S E !
Gryphon Productions is proud to introduce:

The DOOM Packet Destroyer (DPD) v. 1.5
--------------------------------------

Major corporations throughout are having their networks brought to
their knees by the broadcast protocol ID Software's software product
DOOM uses for their interactive player mode.

With 16+ players using DOOM, we've benchmarked a 65% decreased in
network throughput. MIS departments, desperate for a solution, now
have one in DPD v. 1.5.

HOW IT WORKS
------------

For a Novell Network, DPD loads as a network loadable module (NLM)
and "sits" on the network, translating packing information. When
DOOM-packets are found, they are prompted "destroyed". DOOM players
are rendered useless in a matter of minutes.

Also, a router-based version of DPD is available which can be
installed on intelligent routers to seek and out and destroy DOOM
packets with little to no hassle.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
-------------------

"We were experiencing slow downs throughout the company. Products
were getting delayed, managers were getting fired, I was scared for
my job. DPD gave us a fighting chance."

- Mark Cosgrove, MIS, Intel

"I can't believe someone didn't think of this sooner. DPD is a god
send to MIS managers who want to regain control of their network."

- Allan Richie, MIS Manager, Microsoft

"No big deal. DOOM v. 1.2 has modem support, so we're just going to
play at home."

- Michael Spanfield, DOOM Player
Alliance

AVAILABILITY
------------

Version 1.5 of the DOOM Packet Destroyer is available for IMMEDIATE
release!

DPD (NLM Version).......................................$1499.99
DPD (Router Install)....................................$399.99 per copy

Send check or money order to:

Gryphon Productions
111 Alias Way
Semaphore, NJ 034234

(Sorry, no CODs)

F O R I M M E D I A T E R E L E A S E !

* DOOM is a registered trademark of ID Software. All other products
are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.

--
Michael Lopp (ml...@pandora.com)
a Pandora Production 408 353 8880

Fairlight

Mar 4, 1994, 12:18:12 AM3/4/94
Michael Lopp (ml...@pandora.com) wrote:
: F O R I M M E D I A T E R E L E A S E !

Welcome to wonderfully facist american corporations. Also welcome to
the wonderful world of money-grubbing facists. If people are stupid enough
to play during work hours and get caught, they deserve to get fired. What
the hell is the problem, here? I can't believe that companies that big have
such a lack of control over what goes on in their companies so as they have
to pay $1500 to keep people from playing DOOM.

As a side note...no wonder MicroSloth products suck so badly...if all their
attention goes into playing DOOM and/or banning playing DOOM. How about
working out the bugs in the software you're selling?

Linux all the way!

mark->

Tero Paananen

Mar 4, 1994, 7:55:52 PM3/4/94
In <2l6gak$s...@s.ms.uky.edu> fair...@arcadia.aldridge.sol.net (Fairlight) writes:

>Michael Lopp (ml...@pandora.com) wrote:

[a very funny _fake_ advert for Doom Packet Destroyer]

>: Gryphon Productions
>: 111 Alias Way
>: Semaphore, NJ 034234

>Welcome to wonderfully facist american corporations. Also welcome to

>the wonderful world of money-grubbing facists. If people are stupid enough
>to play during work hours and get caught, they deserve to get fired. What
>the hell is the problem, here? I can't believe that companies that big have
>such a lack of control over what goes on in their companies so as they have
>to pay $1500 to keep people from playing DOOM.

>As a side note...no wonder MicroSloth products suck so badly...if all their
>attention goes into playing DOOM and/or banning playing DOOM. How about
>working out the bugs in the software you're selling?

>Linux all the way!

>mark->

Hahha, actually I think that this follow-up is funnier than the advert :) :)

Mark, do you think that there is an address like that anywhere in earth??

--
Tero "I think (before I post), therefore I am" Paananen

Leo Lim

Mar 5, 1994, 1:21:15 AM3/5/94
In article <yZPmic...@pandora.com> ml...@pandora.com (Michael Lopp) writes:
> F O R I M M E D I A T E R E L E A S E !
>Gryphon Productions is proud to introduce:
>
> The DOOM Packet Destroyer (DPD) v. 1.5
> --------------------------------------

HAH!
Is this somekind of joke or what?

> DPD (NLM Version).......................................$1499.99
> DPD (Router Install)....................................$399.99 per copy

I think the program can be done in no time at all.
you sure are making lots of money out of DooM, if there is a buyer.

you can even just remove their (person who play doom) floppy drives,
and clean up his hardrive. you sure have right to do that, don't you?

===martin

Giles Mead Biddison

Mar 7, 1994, 1:05:39 AM3/7/94

In article <yZPmic...@pandora.com> ml...@pandora.com (Michael Lopp) writes:
> F O R I M M E D I A T E R E L E A S E !
>Gryphon Productions is proud to introduce:
>
> The DOOM Packet Destroyer (DPD) v. 1.5
> --------------------------------------
>
> "I can't believe someone didn't think of this sooner. DPD is a god
> send to MIS managers who want to regain control of their network."
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^ - Allan Richie, MIS Manager, Microsoft

> DPD (NLM Version).......................................$1499.99
> DPD (Router Install)....................................$399.99 per copy
> ^^^^^^^

I hope that I have construed these evidences correctly as camoflauged smileys
and not the real thing.....

imp

Chris Nappi

Mar 4, 1994, 3:12:28 AM3/4/94
In article <2l6gak$s...@s.ms.uky.edu> fair...@arcadia.aldridge.sol.net (Fairlight) writes:
>From: fair...@arcadia.aldridge.sol.net (Fairlight)
>Subject: Re: Doom Packet Destroyer (DPD)
>Date: 4 Mar 1994 05:18:12 GMT

>: Michael Lopp (ml...@pandora.com)
>: a Pandora Production 408 353 8880

>Welcome to wonderfully facist american corporations. Also welcome to
>the wonderful world of money-grubbing facists. If people are stupid enough
>to play during work hours and get caught, they deserve to get fired. What
>the hell is the problem, here? I can't believe that companies that big have
>such a lack of control over what goes on in their companies so as they have
>to pay $1500 to keep people from playing DOOM.

>As a side note...no wonder MicroSloth products suck so badly...if all their
>attention goes into playing DOOM and/or banning playing DOOM. How about
>working out the bugs in the software you're selling?

>Linux all the way!

>mark->

A smiley face does not appear anywhere in you message... This severly worrys
me.. please follow up with a smiley face so I know that you got the joke...
Xris