*** PLEASE HELP WITH ALT.GAMES.DOOM.* ***

13 views
Skip to first unread message

Raphael Quinet

unread,
Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
to
I'm sorry for shouting in the subject, but I needed your attention.
This is a call for help, posted on behalf of several authors of Doom
editors and utilities... It's the second time I'm posting this and
maybe I will have to do it more often if people like Jonathan Bazemore
continue spreading lies about the newsgroups. <sigh>! Here is the
true story, as can be confirmed by all people who are on these groups
since last year:

The first Doom newsgroup was called alt.games.doom. Last year, the
majority of the readers of alt.games.doom voted for the creation of the
five rec.games.computer.doom.* newsgroups, using the usual RFD/CFV
procedure (see news.announce.newusers if you are not familiar with those
terms). The RFD also stated that alt.games.doom and the other a.g.d.*
groups would be removed as soon as the traffic would have dropped down
significantly. Unfortunately, the traffic is still high, mainly because
new people keep on coming to this group (it is listed before the other
ones, in alphabetical order, so it is easier to subscribe to it). They
don't know that they can find much better information in r.g.c.d.*.

This is annoying, because alt.games.doom is now populated mainly by
beginners who cannot answer the questions that are posted on this
group. As a result, people resort to e-mail and send their questions to
people like me. This is a waste of time for all well-known Doomers who
receive the same questions again and again.

The only way to solve this problem is to encourage the people who are
still posting in alt.games.doom, alt.games.doom.ii and
alt.games.doom.newplayers to move to the new groups, as all experienced
Doomers have done last year. I don't have enough time to reply to all
articles that are posted on a.g.d, so I need YOUR HELP: if you see
people posting there, please TELL THEM TO MOVE TO THE NEW GROUPS. If
they are asking some questions and you know that the answers can be
found in the RGCD FAQ or in another periodical posting, then tell them
something like this: ``the best answer can be found in section XX of the
RGCD FAQ (posted weekly in rec.games.computer.doom.announce)''. But
never post the complete answer, because people who find the answer in
a.g.d will not feel the need to move to the new groups. I urge you to
actively post followups in a.g.d.* so that people are aware of the fact
that the a.g.d.* groups are obsolete and have been replaced by r.g.c.d.*.

If enough people do this, then maybe the traffic in a.g.d.* will
decrease. And it will probably not increase much in the r.g.c.d.*
groups, because most of the questions that are currently posted in
a.g.d are answered in the RGCD FAQ. Hopefully, the people who move from
the old groups to the new ones will read the FAQs and find the answers
to their questions. Lots of people have already thanked me for pointing
them to the new groups which are better organised and on which it is
easier to find an answer to most questions. The ones who are still
posting on the old groups haven't read my articles (yet) and don't know
about the new groups. They should be helped too, and I hope that you
will tell them that they should move to rec.games.computer.doom.*.

Thanks in advance if you can help...

-Raphael (author of DEU)
--
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| WWW: http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~quinet (NEW: Updated DOOM page) |
| E-mail: Raphael...@eed.ericsson.se or qui...@montefiore.ulg.ac.be |
| S-mail: Raphael Quinet, 9 rue des Martyrs, 4550 Nandrin (Belgium) |
| --* Read rec.games.computer.doom.editing for info and help about DEU. *-- |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Lincoln Yeoh

unread,
Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
to
Raphael...@eed.ericsson.se (Raphael Quinet) wrote:
>
> I'm sorry for shouting in the subject, but I needed your attention.
> This is a call for help, posted on behalf of several authors of Doom
> editors and utilities... It's the second time I'm posting this and

hehe, the fringe benefits of fame and presumed power!
Get loads of underlings petitioning you :-).

hehehe.

I hope I don't get as famous!

Personally I'd stop posting there at all. And leave the newbies alone.
And of course post info about RGCD* (anonymously? <grin>).

However as I'm not as famous it doesn't matter so much to me! I can post there
without so much of a squeak back!


Link.

Geoffrey Anderson

unread,
Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
to
In article <3s3a7q$t...@erinews.ericsson.se>,

Raphael...@eed.ericsson.se (Raphael Quinet) wrote:
>I'm sorry for shouting in the subject, but I needed your attention.
>This is a call for help, posted on behalf of several authors of Doom
>editors and utilities... It's the second time I'm posting this and
>maybe I will have to do it more often if people like Jonathan Bazemore
>continue spreading lies about the newsgroups. <sigh>! Here is the
>true story, as can be confirmed by all people who are on these groups
>since last year:
>
>The first Doom newsgroup was called alt.games.doom. Last year, the
>majority of the readers of alt.games.doom voted for the creation of the
>five rec.games.computer.doom.* newsgroups, using the usual RFD/CFV
>procedure (see news.announce.newusers if you are not familiar with those
>terms). The RFD also stated that alt.games.doom and the other a.g.d.*
>groups would be removed as soon as the traffic would have dropped down
>significantly. Unfortunately, the traffic is still high, mainly because
>new people keep on coming to this group (it is listed before the other
>ones, in alphabetical order, so it is easier to subscribe to it). They
>don't know that they can find much better information in r.g.c.d.*.
>
{snip}

Raphael;
Why can't you guys leave us alone here? Maybe we enjoy being ignorant
over here ( or so you say). I have subscribed to RGCD and quite frankly,
bailed out and came back here. Your environment is much too sterile for
people with open minds.

Please quit bothering us? You don't have to answer our newbies
questions, unless you like doing it.

An un-satisfied r.g.c.d subscriber...

Raphael Quinet

unread,
Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
to Geoffrey Anderson

I am a bit surprised. Are you sure that you get all articles in the r.g.c.d.*
groups? Currently, there are more articles posted daily in these groups than
in a.g.d. Maybe you only get some of them? If this is the case, then you
should ask your admin that he/she checks your newsfeed. I know that, despite
the better propagation of the r.g.c.d.* groups, there are some sites which
don't receive all articles. If you are the unfortunate user of such a site,
then you should send a (polite) message to your admin and ask him/her to check
with the sites upstream that you get all articles.

Besides, you are the first one (apart from J. Bazemore, but let's ignore him
for the moment) who thinks that I should stop directing the people from a.g.d
to the new groups. I have received several (actually, a lot of) e-mails from
people who thanked me because they found much more information in the new
groups than in the old ones.

Since most people are encouraging me to continue, I will keep on pointing
new readers in the right direction. If the (real) traffic in a.g.d drops
down significantly, then maybe we can consider removing the old a.g.d groups
in one month or so. Then this would create much less confusion for all new
readers and it would benefit to everybody (except J. Bazemore, maybe). I
hope that enough people will support this; after all, this is what the large
majority of a.g.d readers decided (voted for) last year, so it's about time
to do something about it.

-Raphael

Johnny Nugnug

unread,
Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
to
In article <3s4397$o...@aimnet1.aimnet.com> gan...@aimnet.com (Geoffrey Anderson) writes:
>From: gan...@aimnet.com (Geoffrey Anderson)
>Subject: Re: *** PLEASE HELP WITH ALT.GAMES.DOOM.* ***
>Date: 19 Jun 1995 14:57:43 GMT

> Why can't you guys leave us alone here? Maybe we enjoy being
ignorant >over here ( or so you say). I have subscribed to RGCD and quite
frankly, >bailed out and came back here. Your environment is much too sterile
for >people with open minds.

> Please quit bothering us? You don't have to answer our newbies

>questions, unless you like doing it.

> An un-satisfied r.g.c.d subscriber...


A.g.d. is Doom Hell. We should scan your faces and make you into monsters so
we can blast you into paste in our games. R.C.G.D.* makes you look like the
suck monkey you are,

(Wow. Bad mood or what?)


____________________________________________________________
"So I shot him. Then I shot him again. Then, to be safe, I shot him one last time. Then I shot him
once more." --Richard Nixon, Inaugural Speech, 1972
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
William C Roeben jnu...@nas.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bazemore Jonathan R

unread,
Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
to
Raphael Quinet (Raphael...@eed.ericsson.se) wrote:
: I'm sorry for shouting in the subject, but I needed your attention.
: This is a call for help, posted on behalf of several authors of Doom
: editors and utilities... It's the second time I'm posting this and
: maybe I will have to do it more often if people like Jonathan Bazemore
: continue spreading lies about the newsgroups. <sigh>! Here is the
: true story, as can be confirmed by all people who are on these groups
: since last year:

The true story is that the the R.G.C.D "Coordinators"
are fascist pigs who want newsgroup readers to click their heels
together and say, "yes, Sir!" (please see my post: Ian Mapleson, Fascist)


: The first Doom newsgroup was called alt.games.doom. Last year, the


: majority of the readers of alt.games.doom voted for the creation of the
: five rec.games.computer.doom.* newsgroups, using the usual RFD/CFV
: procedure (see news.announce.newusers if you are not familiar with those
: terms). The RFD also stated that alt.games.doom and the other a.g.d.*
: groups would be removed as soon as the traffic would have dropped down
: significantly. Unfortunately, the traffic is still high, mainly because
: new people keep on coming to this group (it is listed before the other
: ones, in alphabetical order, so it is easier to subscribe to it). They
: don't know that they can find much better information in r.g.c.d.*.

: This is annoying, because alt.games.doom is now populated mainly by


: beginners who cannot answer the questions that are posted on this
: group. As a result, people resort to e-mail and send their questions to
: people like me. This is a waste of time for all well-known Doomers who
: receive the same questions again and again.

: The only way to solve this problem is to encourage the people who are
: still posting in alt.games.doom, alt.games.doom.ii and
: alt.games.doom.newplayers to move to the new groups, as all experienced
: Doomers have done last year. I don't have enough time to reply to all
: articles that are posted on a.g.d, so I need YOUR HELP: if you see
: people posting there, please TELL THEM TO MOVE TO THE NEW GROUPS. If
: they are asking some questions and you know that the answers can be
: found in the RGCD FAQ or in another periodical posting, then tell them
: something like this: ``the best answer can be found in section XX of the
: RGCD FAQ (posted weekly in rec.games.computer.doom.announce)''. But
: never post the complete answer, because people who find the answer in

: a.g.d will not feel the need to move to the new groups. I urge you to


: actively post followups in a.g.d.* so that people are aware of the fact
: that the a.g.d.* groups are obsolete and have been replaced by r.g.c.d.*.

: If enough people do this, then maybe the traffic in a.g.d.* will
: decrease. And it will probably not increase much in the r.g.c.d.*
: groups, because most of the questions that are currently posted in
: a.g.d are answered in the RGCD FAQ. Hopefully, the people who move from
: the old groups to the new ones will read the FAQs and find the answers
: to their questions. Lots of people have already thanked me for pointing
: them to the new groups which are better organised and on which it is
: easier to find an answer to most questions. The ones who are still
: posting on the old groups haven't read my articles (yet) and don't know
: about the new groups. They should be helped too, and I hope that you
: will tell them that they should move to rec.games.computer.doom.*.

: Thanks in advance if you can help...

: -Raphael (author of DEU)
: --

Frans P. de Vries

unread,
Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
to
Lincoln Yeoh (ly...@pop.jaring.my) wrote:
} I hope I don't get as famous!
} Personally I'd stop posting there at all. And leave the newbies alone.

Now that's a bit unfair, don't you think? We were all DOOM newbies once (ok,
for many of us that's a long time ago ;), but we learned from eachother, and
made that collective "wisdom" available in cheats lists, secrets lists, FAQs,
etc etc, most notably of course Hank Leukart's "Official" DOOM FAQ.

Now, newbies coming into a.g.d{.*} have little chance to get good, complete
answers to their questions, unless they are pointed to the informational
postings in the r.g.c.d.* groups. Newbies have just as much right now to
learn more about the cool game that DOOM is, as the oldtimers did a year or
more ago. So, they should be given the opportunity to access the information
that is readily available in the r.g.c.d.* groups, I think.

} And of course post info about RGCD* (anonymously? <grin>).
} However as I'm not as famous it doesn't matter so much to me! I can post there
} without so much of a squeak back!

Squeak! :-)
--
Frans P. de Vries | f...@xymph.iaf.nl | Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ maintainer

Frans P. de Vries

unread,
Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
to
Geoffrey Anderson (gan...@aimnet.com) wrote:
} Why can't you guys leave us alone here? Maybe we enjoy being ignorant
} over here ( or so you say). I have subscribed to RGCD and quite frankly,
} bailed out and came back here. Your environment is much too sterile for
} people with open minds.

Sterile? You obviously haven't read r.g.c.d.playing lately ;-)

} Please quit bothering us? You don't have to answer our newbies
} questions, unless you like doing it.

True, I like doing it :) But I don't understand this "us" and "we" in a.g.d,
because it seems to me that many posters there are newbies trying to find
answers in the first DOOM newsgroup they come across in their newsreader
(alphabetically). Are you saying that you can decide for them that they
should enjoy staying "ignorant"? That's not really up to you, I think.

I prefer pointing out to them that there's a place (r.g.c.d.*) where they
can find the info they are looking for.

L. Staten

unread,
Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
to
says...

>>>>>>>>>>snip<<<<<<<<<<

>........... I hope that you will tell them that they should move to

>rec.games.computer.doom.*.
>
>Thanks in advance if you can help...
>
>-Raphael (author of DEU)
>--

Yes Daddy. We will do whatever you say and you are so credible after that
statement of saying that *all* experienced Doomers have moved to R.G.C.D.*.
Why try to get a News Group cancelled or diminished in any way. The internet
is free and the more the merrier. Even if A.G.D. is inferior, so what. Maybe
things are a little more informal here. Maybe that's why people are here. I've
been to R.G.C.D.* and I prefer A.G.D.. Wrong or right that is my *choice*. If
you are going to try and suck people out of A.G.D., at least tell the truth.

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
L. Staten <nin...@primenet.com> & <7463...@compuserve.com>
P.O. Box 88443 Los Angeles Ca. 90009-8443 U.S.A.
Voicemail: 310 289-4744


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages